S1: Today on Bold Steps with Mark Jobe. Learn how to align your heart with God's design and avoid the rebellion that comes from disobedience.
S2: Some of you need to rise up today and say, I will be a cycle breaker and a legacy maker. I will not let a cycle of rebellion dominate my life. For me, for my children, for my relationships, and align myself with God so I can fulfill my divine assignment in life.
S1: Welcome to Bold Steps with Mark Jobe. Mark is president of Moody Bible Institute and the senior pastor of New Life Community Church in Chicago. As we move forward in our new series, Bold Living, Mark, you're going to help us see that the enemy is always on the prowl, and one of the ways he tries to mess with us is through our family.
S2: I tell you what the family is under attack. The structure of the family, the health of the family. Wayne. Because I think the enemy knows if I can mess with the health of the family, if I can make it toxic, then I can influence and impact and devastate so many lives.
S1: Sadly, that's his strategy.
S2: And so there are many of you right now that are in a battle for the health and destiny of your family. There are so many powerful principles found in Ephesians chapter six, I think, that are going to help you in this battle.
S1: All right. Thank you, Mark. And whether you're a parent or a spouse or a grandparent, maybe you're just wading into the dating and relationship pool. This message is for you, titled fighting for Your Family's Future. Here's Mark Jobe.
S2: A few years ago when my children were younger, it was on a Sunday afternoon. I still remember it. We had gone to visit my father in law, and he lived downtown and was in a condo, and his condo happened to have a swimming pool. So he said, why don't you just have the kids swim in the swimming pool? And so I was tired that Sunday, preached a couple of times. And so I sat on the side of the swimming pool outside, fully clothed, reading the newspaper and my children, my two oldest jumped in, and Grant, who was only about maybe two years old. He was on the steps and I told him, don't go in too far because it can be dangerous. It's over your head. And so I was watching them reading the paper, looking up and watching them, got engrossed in an article. And then I raised my eyes and I thought, where's my youngest two year old, Grant? I don't see him. And then I saw him. His head popped out of the water and I realized he was gasping for air. Adrenaline shot through my system. Has that ever happened to you? You think something's happening to your kid? I mean, I felt the rush of adrenaline. I jumped up immediately. I jumped right into the pool, fully clothed and ran. Ran made my way over to him and I picked him up and he was spouting water out and crying and and I took him. I said, I'm so sorry, son. And I put him down. And he was kind of throwing up water very shooken up because he thought he almost drowned. And I thought to myself, wow, my son could have drowned right in front of me on my watch. How would I ever explain it to my wife, who? It took a long time before my son wanted to get back into swimming pool, but I thought, you know, it wasn't because I didn't care about him. It was. I didn't know that he was about to drown. It wasn't that I wouldn't do anything to save him. It was. I was unaware how bad the situation was. There are some of you today. Practically everybody in this auditorium. You care about your family, your wife, your children, your nieces, your nephews, your parents, your aging parents. No doubt that you love them. No doubt that you would do anything in your power to help them out. But the problem is that sometimes they're worse off than what we think. Sometimes they're drowning right in front of us and we're not even aware. So today, I want to talk to you about what it means to fight for the future of your family. And I want you to take your Bibles and turn to Ephesians chapter six, Ephesians chapter six. If you at all are trying to raise a family in this generation, you know that we live in a crazy, crazy culture. And to try to keep the family together, to try to keep the integrity of the family together is a challenge. There are Our forces pulling our families apart. Left and right families are disintegrating all around us. Many families are struggling to stay together, children struggling to connect with their parents, parents struggling to stay together in their marriage, spouses that are at each other's throats, in-laws that can't get along all the time. There is extreme pressure on families together to stay together in this day and age. And here's what I've learned. I want you to write this principle down. First of all, write this down if you're taking notes. I've discovered this lesson that if you align yourself with God, alignment with God and His design positions you for your assignment. In other words, you have to come into alignment with God's plan and his design in order to be able to embrace your divine assignment. As some of you are looking at me like you don't know what I'm talking about. So let me, let me let me say it again. So why don't you say this out loud with me? Alignment positions you for your assignment. Go ahead. Alignment positions you for your assignment. In other words, if you are a father today, you have to align yourself with what it means to be a father according to the Word of God. And when you align yourself with God's plan for fatherhood, it releases you to your divine assignment and the greatest influence possible in your life. If you are misaligned, then you will also if you don't align yourself right, if you're misaligned, you will miss your assignment. Some of you are missing your assignment because you're not aligned with God's plan today. You're a father, but you're missing the influence of fatherhood. You're a mother, but you haven't aligned yourself with God's plan. And so the power of motherhood has been depleted from your life because you're not aligned with God. You're a son or a daughter, but the power of daughterhood or sonship isn't fully realized in your life because you're not aligned with God's plan. And so you're missing the power of your assignment because of your misalignment. So I want you to turn your Bible in your Bibles to Ephesians chapter six, because I see in this passage really two battlefronts that we need to engage in if we're going to fight for the destiny and future of our families. Ephesians chapter six, verse one says, children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. I tried to drill this verse into my children before they could even walk. Honor your father and your mother, which is the first commandment with a promise, so that it may go well with you, and that you may enjoy a long life on earth. Fathers, do not exasperate your children. Instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Word of the Lord. There are two battlefronts that you are going to face if you are fighting for the future of your family. Battlefront number one is the battlefront of the heart. Notice what it says. It says to children, there are two things that children and by the way, this word children. Someone say, well, what age are you talking about? This word children in the in the Greek is technia. It doesn't mean little ones necessarily. It means offspring at various ages. So this says offspring, sons and daughters. It says children obey your parents. And then secondly, it says, and honor your parents. So there's two words that's given to our offspring. Number one is obedience. And secondly is honor. Obedience has to do with the idea of putting ourselves under the authority of someone. It's a military term. It means coming under the authority. And the word honor has to do with not taking them lightly. In fact, literally, the word honor means heavy. Um, you know, when someone says something to you and you don't really care what they're saying, you just take it lightly. It doesn't matter. But if you're showing honor, you want to listen to what they're saying because what they're saying is important. You take it heavy. If you were called to see the Queen of England and came before the Queen of England, chances are you wouldn't be. Hey, dude, what's going on? Give me high five. You know. You would show respect. You would listen. What they say would be important. You would be listening to what they say. Not not, you know, taking a selfie of yourself with the Queen or texting on. No, no, you'd be listening to what they have to say because you're showing honor. The Bible talks to offspring and it says you owe your parents two things obedience and honor. Now, those two things have to do with how your children position themselves under authority. I want to talk to you. This is really, really important. This is how it works. I'm going to teach you a principle that's a powerful principle, not just for children, but for those of you that are adults. And it starts in childhood and it has repercussions into adulthood. I have an umbrella with me right now. Now, why do we use umbrellas? Well, we pull an umbrella out when it's raining torrentially outside. I use an umbrella because when it's raining outside, I don't want to mess up my hair. So here's what happens. If it's raining, I put myself under the umbrella. And as long as I am under the umbrella, I don't get wet. I can have an umbrella. And if I hold the umbrella outside, then I get wet, even though I have an umbrella. As long as I'm under, I'm protected. When I get out from under the protection of the umbrella, there is no protection on my life. And I am subject to the elements of the weather. Are you tracking with me? There is a protection also. I've heard it illustrated this way. God has designed a protection umbrella for your family, for your children, and for your life. There is a protection that we are called to go under. For example, when children are under the protection of their parents and children are obeying their parents and honoring their parents. There is a level of protection over their life under the counsel of their parents. The insight of their parents, the prayers of their parents, the favor of their parents is on their life. When a child decides gets a seed of here it goes rebellion. When a child gets a seed of rebellion, a child says, I don't want to be under the authority of my parents. No one's going to tell me what to do. What do they know anyways? They're old fashioned. They don't know what's going on in the world. I don't want to listen to what they have to say. Stop trying to micromanage and control me. I don't have to listen to you. I'm 14 years old. I should be able to do whatever I want right now. When they come out under the protection of their parents, then suddenly the protection that they lived under has disappeared in their life, and now they are subject to the attacks of the enemy and the elements of the world like never before, because they've taken themselves out from the protection of their parents. Are you tracking with me? Here's what I want you to understand. This is huge. It's a huge principle. Do you realize that the reason that humanity is in the situation that it is, is because the very first individuals that God created the problem, what led them out of God's protection was what leads us out of the protection of our family, the protection of our church, the protection of God. And it's this the seeds of this word, the seed of rebellion.
S1: We'll continue our message in just a moment here on Bold Steps with Mark Jobe. But first, Mark, if you'll permit me, I want to share something that's been weighing on my heart lately. I've been thinking about how throughout history, God has always raised up people who prioritized his mission, even during some very turbulent times. Whether it was the early church during persecution or believers during world wars, or missionaries in hostile territories, there have always been those who kept their focus on advancing the gospel despite everything happening around them. And we've got a lot happening around us right now.
S2: And Wayne, oftentimes.
S3: It's in the midst of a lot of turbulence and turmoil that people start looking to the heavens in special ways. And I believe, like we live in a moment like that. And I just want to say that as a pastor, I've been a pastor for over 30 some years in the city of Chicago. I have never seen the openness that I've seen now. That's incredible. I'm having these conversations, especially with young people we've seen at our church. Over a thousand people come to Christ and get baptized in the last 24 months, mainly under the age of 35.
S2: Many that had no religious background and are just hungry for God. And I think the turbulence of the world has caused them to say I need something. And many of us as believers, we're getting too distracted by what's happening and not focused enough on the gospel. And so I want to bring your attention back to the opportunities that you have around you. That's what Bold Steps is all about. Regardless of what's happening in our world, we believe that the greatest news that needs to be proclaimed is the good news that Jesus Christ is here. He's the Savior, and we do not want to miss this window of opportunity of so many people being open. So join us as we continue to boldly, passionately, powerfully, 24 hours a day through moody radio, proclaim the good news of Jesus.
S1: And at Moody, we're sending workers into that harvest, aren't we?
S2: We are. And so excited about that as well. Uh, we're sending people focused on the gospel. Bold steps, as you know, is making sure that we include a call to the gospel on a regular basis. And so excited to see people coming to Jesus.
S1: Well, you who are listening can invest your resources in sharing God's life changing truth. To make a gift, simply go online to Bold Steps org or our phone number is 800. D.L. Moody that's (800) 356-6639. And your partnership makes an eternal difference. And we'll send you, by request, a special bold step gift as a token of our appreciation. We'll talk more about that gift later in today's message. But consider partnering with bold steps. All right. Back to our message now titled fighting for Your Family's Future.
S2: Let me define rebellion for you. The dictionary says that rebellion is resistance, defiance, and disobedience to To authority. It's resistance, defiance and disobedience to the authority that's placed over us. That's rebellion. Now think for a moment back to the very, very first place called the Garden of Eden. That man and woman were at. I mean, think about it for a second. What a sweet setup. Here's Eve and here's Adam. Eve didn't have to say, hey, Adam, who are you looking at? No one else to look at. It's hard to compete with a woman. I mean, you got a rhinoceros over here, a giraffe over here, a zebra. Who would you be looking at? Of course she's naked. He's naked there in the garden. Beautiful, idyllic place. There's no disease. There's no death. They have fruit trees and they have animals, and they have rivers, and they have nice water. And they're walking with God. I mean, this is the iconic, idealistic place in the world. This is better than any resort that you've ever been to. This is the beautiful Paradise on earth that God created. And they're doing great there. They're enjoying life. They have eyes for one another. This is the place that you raise a family. The enemy wanted to mess this up. All he had to do, the enemy to mess up Paradise was to plant one seed in their life. You know what seed? It was? The seed of rebellion. So the serpent says to Eve. Hey, you listening to God? He told you you couldn't eat for this tree, man. God just wants to hinder your joy. God just wants to put boundaries on you. He's really not looking out for your good. He doesn't have your best interest in mind. Why don't you just take of this fruit and eat it? Because your way, hey, your way is better than God's way. That's a seed of rebellion where you start thinking, I don't want to be under authority. What does God know anyways? Yeah, maybe I want to be like God. And the Bible says that Eve took of the fruit, gave it to the man, and as soon as they ate of that fruit, then all of spiritual hell was unleashed upon them. Theologians call it the fall of man, and suddenly there was shame and guilt and death and disease was introduced into the world because they came out from under God's umbrella of protection. See what rebellion does. It lures you away from that which is protecting your life, saying there's a better way. And when we're out there, then we get sabotaged by the atrocities of life, by our own way. We get beat up by life because while we're under the umbrella of protection, we can't be beat up when we're lured out of it. Then we get beat up by life. Listen to what first Samuel 15 verse 23 says, the prophet is speaking to Saul, who is a king who had gotten out of God's umbrella of protection. And Samuel says to him, rebellion is as sinful as witchcraft. Now think about it. When you think of witchcraft, you think pretty, evil, dark, spooky, voodoo ish, you know, killing animals in some back alley, putting curses on people. We say, whoa, that's that's evil. Well, don't get around that person. That's evil. They're into witchcraft. Ooh. Nasty. Dark. But you know what? As bad as that may seem, the Bible says that when your teenage son or daughter gets a seed of rebellion in their heart, or you as a man decide that your way is better than God's, or you as a wife decides like, you know what? I don't want to do this. I want to do it my way. And you get a seed of rebellion in your heart against the God given authority over your life, then it drags you to the same pit. It devastates your life in the same way. Because what rebellion says is, I know better. I don't have to do it God's way. I can do it my way. And ultimately, people start paying the consequences for walking outside of God's umbrella of protection.
S1: This is bold steps. You're listening to the Bible teaching of Mark Jobe. If you miss any part of today's message, or if you can't join us for part two tomorrow, be sure to catch up whenever you can by visiting Bold Steps. As a ministry fueled by listener generosity, Bold Steps thrives through the faithful support of friends who share our mission. And when you become a bold partner today with a gift of any amount to support this ministry, we'll send you a signed copy of unstuck out of your cave into your call by doctor Mark Jobe, along with a bold partner. Post a bi weekly email that includes a special video from Mark, an exclusive sermon content. You'll also receive a complimentary copy of this month's featured book or resource. And each month we'll send you an email with the details. Simply respond to claim your free gift for either option. Simply tap the donate button at boldsystems.org or reach us by phone at $800. That's (800) 356-6639. Well, Mark, we are very excited about our bold step gift this month is called Lies Girls Believe and the truth that Sets them Free. Now the author, Dannah Gresh is with us. And Dana, I want to commend you because not only is this book so full of wisdom, biblical wisdom and insight, but you've organized it in such a fun way. I would imagine young girls look at this and think, I want to pick this up and read this.
S4: I hope so. You thrill my heart saying that. That makes. Thank you. Because years ago I was a cheerleader and a Christian high school and my cheerleading coach did a Devo with me on the Bible verse. I don't know the reference, but it says whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might. And if you're listening and you've done devos with teenagers listens. They stick with you for years. For decades that that Devo has stuck with me. And I've always wanted to do anything I do. I wanted to give Jesus my best. So when we wrote Lies, Girls Believe, I went to the bookstore, the bookstore, and I looked at the bookshelves and I said, what are the best books here that are being sold to these tween girls? And I picked up books with cartoons, and I picked up books with graphics and art and just thrilling, fun books. And I was like, lies girls believe is gonna look like that. And I think it does. I really think it does. I think it's absolutely beautiful. So thank you for saying that. I think it matters and it draws them through the content. It keeps them engaged in the content, and it makes it a really fun experience for them.
S1: Well, it's so creative the way that you've done it here, Mark. I just think it's it's going to really have hit the mark with these young girls.
S2: Absolutely. I'm holding a copy in my hand scrolling through the pages. And there is great compelling artwork, creative, colorful, uh, design specifically for 8 to 12 year olds. But more important even than the art. Is the message so important. So if you're a mother that's struggling with how to reach the heart of your 8 to 12 year old, or how to help them navigate some of the peer pressure that they're experiencing at school, or if they're asking spiritual questions or asking questions about sex, identity, who they are. This is not a topic or time that you can ignore. You need to jump into that and disciple your daughters. So this tool is specifically designed for that. Thank you Dana.
S4: My pleasure. Thank you so much.
S1: Well, you can receive a copy of Lies Girls Believe when you give a gift of any amount to support bold steps. Again, just go online to Bold steps. Org or call us today at 800. You can even send your check in the mail. Address your envelope to Bold steps. 820 North LaSalle Boulevard, Chicago, Illinois 606 ten. Before we wrap up, I want to encourage you to download our Bold Steps app now in your app store. Explore our collection of engaging videos and enlightening teaching series. Just search for and download the free Bold Steps app today. Well, that's the end of our program. I'm Wayne Shepherd, inviting you to join us tomorrow when Mark explains why God is calling you to fight for the destiny and the future of your spouse and children. That's Thursday on Bold Steps with Mark John. Bold steps is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.