S1: Hi friend, thank you so much for downloading this podcast and I truly hope you hear something that edifies encourage, equips, enlightens, and then gets you out there in the marketplace of ideas. But before you go, I want to tell you about this month's truth tool. It's called Have You Ever Wondered? And I absolutely love this topic because if you're like me, going out into the night sky and looking up and seeing a million stars, don't you just stop and think about God? And are you not in a moment of awe and wonder or looking out over the vast expanse of an ocean and you start thinking, what is man, that thou art mindful of him? And it makes you wonder about the magnificence of God? I think that sense of wonder was put there on purpose, and this wonderful book includes a composite of multiple authors who have written from their perspective as a scientist, or a historian, or a mathematician or an artist, on why they all have this sense of awe through the work that they do. In other words, the heavens declare the glory. And as it tells us in Romans, we are really without excuse because his handiwork is everywhere, and this book invites you to walk through the chapters written by people who all have a sense of awe and wonder when it comes to God through their various disciplines in life. It's an amazing book and it's yours. For a gift of any amount. Just call 877 Janet 58. That's 877 Janet 58. Ask for a copy of Have You Ever Wondered? And we'll send it right off to you as my way of saying thank you, because we are listener supported radio. Or you can go online to in the market with Janet Parshall and you're also on the website. Consider becoming a partial partner. Those are people who give every single month at a level of their own choosing. You always get the truth tool, but in addition to that, you get a weekly newsletter that includes my writing and an audio piece just for my partial partner. So 877 Janet 58 or the website in the market with Janet parshall.org consider becoming a partial partner or asking for this month's truth tool. Have you ever wondered? And now please enjoy the broadcast.
S2: Here are some of the news headlines we're watching.
S3: The conference was over. The president won a pledge.
S4: Americans worshiping government over God.
S3: Extremely rare safety move by a major 17 years.
S4: The Palestinians and Israelis negotiated.
S1: Hi, friends. Welcome to In the Market with Janet Parshall. I am so excited about spending the next hour with you. How often on this program do I remind you that one of the purpose of this broadcast is to help us think critically and biblically? And how often do I say after I made that statement, that's not an either or proposition. It is a both. And how do I know that? Well, let's start with Scripture. The Bible says we come to faith in Christ and our heart is transformed, but our mind is renewed. And you really do start looking around at the world in a markedly different way with clarity. It's like The Wizard of Oz when you go from the black and white part of the movie to it's all Technicolor. And so we really and truly see things a little bit differently when we have, if I can put it this way, a biblio centric worldview. One of the reasons I also challenge us to be thinking critically in biblically is because it's about tearing down a lot of mythology that's out there, promulgated by people who have a worldview that might be the antithesis of a biblical worldview. It might come from the real animus toward a biblical worldview. Ideas like, for example, that science and religion are at war with one another. We've done so many programs on that where history says, sorry, that's simply not the case. In fact, the greatest scientists of all times were people who believed, sorry, there's just too much order and form and purpose here has to be a divine creator, has to be an intelligent design behind all of this. The idea, too, that it's either faith or reason, but that the two are mutually exclusive. Now I'm coming to you from Washington, D.C. let me tell you, that's an idea that's prevalent in this town. We have more PhDs per capita in the city than in any other city in the United States of America. And there really is this idea that somehow when you come to faith in Jesus Christ, you put your brains in a shoebox, you slip them under the bed, and you never use them again. Absolutely not true. Some of the greatest thinkers out there are people who, again, recognize the fact that God set everything in motion, that he is the great Creator, and that there is purpose and form and substance and a love that is almost incomprehensible in the universe today. So we're about to engage in a fascinating conversation. I quite literally could not put this book down. I mean, let me give you the title and ask you without even knowing what's in it yet. If you could put it down, it's called the Immortal Mind, a Neurosurgeon's case for the existence of the soul. Now, immediately you have that intersection between science and faith, and our teacher is going to be a man who's got a lot of years of experience in this area. Doctor Michael Egnor is with us. He's the professor of neurosurgery and pediatrics at the Renaissance School of Medicine at Stony Brook University. He received his medical degree from the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Columbia University. Trained in neurosurgery at the University of Miami. He's been on the faculty at Stony Brook since 1991. He's the neurosurgery residency director and has served as the director of pediatric neurosurgery and as a vice chairman of neurosurgery at Stony Brook medicine. In addition to a full time neurosurgical practice, he directs. He directs currently a research program on intracranial dynamics, cerebral blood flow hydrocephalus, and has lectured at scientific meetings and worldwide, and published and at scientific meetings worldwide, and has published in leading medical journals journals including the Journal of Neurosurgery and the Cerebral Cerebrospinal Fluid Research. I know the doctors have long words. A lot of it comes from the Latin, I get it, and he has a very keen mind. He's interested in the intersection of faith and science. He was named, by the way, one of New York's best doctors by New York Magazine in Seen in 2005, and he is the author of the book we're about to discuss again, The Immortal Mind A Neurosurgeon's case for the existence of the soul. Michael, I am thrilled. Can I just say on a personal level, thank you for a most interesting and intriguing book. It's the kind that for those of us who have faith, it just confirms what we know. And for those who don't, this is a marvelous way to start sifting and weighing the evidence out there and see if there isn't something more. You draw a distinction early on in the book, and I think it's important for the listeners now who are talking or hearing us all across the country, a distinction between the brain and the mind. From a neurosurgeon's perspective, talk to me about that.
S5: Thank you Janet. I started out my career as a materialist and an atheist, and I thought that everything in the mind came from the brain. I fell in love with neuroscience. I decided to become a neurosurgeon, to study the brain and the mind more closely. And I found as my training and experience went on that there is a much less of a linkage between the way the brain works and the way the mind works than we commonly believe. I have patients who are missing major parts of their brains who really are perfectly okay or doing very, very well. What brought this to a head was many years ago, I was operating on a woman who had a brain tumor in her left frontal lobe, and the tumor had infiltrated a an important part of her brain. And it was next to her speech area. So I had to operate on her with with her awake so I could map the area of her brain that controlled her speech so that I wouldn't damage it. And we use local anesthesia. So she felt no pain. And as I was operating and removing the tumor and the part of the brain that the tumor had infiltrated, I was talking with her. We had a conversation. We we talked for hours about, um, her family, about the weather, about the lunch and the hospital cafeteria. And she never turned to hair. She was perfectly normal through all the time that I was taking out a major part of the left frontal lobe of her brain. And none of my textbooks in medical school had predicted that. And that's a common experience with, with neurosurgeons that you can remove major parts of the brain and people are perfectly normal afterwards. So I began reading more about the neuroscience and about the philosophy that guides the neuroscience. And I discovered things that I hadn't expected.
S1: Wow. And you talk about that in the book, by the way, and just give a standard in the law as the preponderance of evidence, there really is something greater than us. There really is a sense of immortality. Yeah, I'm coming up to a break, and I don't want to interrupt your story, so if I can, I'm going to ask Steven if we can take a break early. And when we come back, Michael, I think it would be wonderful because you talk about having a materialistic worldview. Science was something that you wanted to pursue. You write in the book, by the way, that you had to go back and forth with deciding between being in neurology or cardiology. And the more you study and looked at the brain, the more fascinated you became. And the rest is history. But you did change not just your discipline from going from wanting to pursue cardiology to pursuing neurology. But you changed because you no longer had a materialistic view. After a seminal moment on the floor of a chapel. I want to tell that story when we come back. It is an absolutely riveting book. You will not be able to put it down. It is so much evidence and that just affirms again how great God is, how fearfully and wonderfully made we are. And when God places eternity in our hearts, he says it in His Word. He really means it, and science can substantiate it back after this. So many in our culture today are spiritually curious but hesitant about religion. That's why I've chosen. Have you ever wondered, is this month's truth tool explore how everyday experiences might be the signpost pointing to deeper biblical truths. As for your copy of have You ever wondered when you give a gift of any amount to in the market, call eight 7758, that's eight 7758 or go to in the market with Janet Parshall. We are spending the hour with Doctor Michael Egnor, who is the professor of neurosurgery and pediatrics at State University of New York, Stony Brook. He's also the author of the book The Immortal Mind A Neurosurgeon's Case for the existence of the soul. Absolutely fascinating read. So, if I may, let me go back to this moment, because this is how you start the book, because I and I thank you for that, because it takes us into your personal journey of how there was a seismic shift in the way in which you saw the world around you, particularly how you saw science going forward after that experience in the chapel. So if you'd be so kind, what happened?
S5: Well, I as I had mentioned, I started my life out as an atheist and as a materialist and I, I didn't, uh, dislike Christianity. I was not an angry atheist. I actually thought Christians were really nice people, and I thought Christianity was was a very beautiful thing. I just thought it was a myth. Um, and, uh, science was what I worshipped and what I loved. And I still love science. I don't, I don't worship it. But I found that as I was, um, practicing and I was as I was learning, I would get what I called hauntings, which were these times when I would be struck with a thought that, you know, I don't know where I came from or why I'm here, or why anything exists or where I'm going. And in the daily, um, hustle and bustle of life, we kind of forget those questions. And they, they were they were eerie. And, um, when my youngest son was born, um, we noticed in the first few months of life that he wasn't making eye contact with us. He wasn't smiling, and he wasn't really interacting with us as people. He was more interacting with us as like objects. And I was very concerned that he might have a disability, that it might be a severe form form of autism. So I was terrified of that. And we took him to a doctor to have him examined. And the doctor said, it's really too early to know. We can't be sure. So one night I was seeing a patient in a Catholic hospital near where my main hospital is, and I was really this was weighing heavily on me. So as I was leaving the hospital, there was a chapel there. So I stopped in the chapel late at night, and I got down in front of the altar and I prayed to God. I said, God, I don't know if you exist. I'd rather doubt that you do, but I have no other options right now. I don't want my son not to know me, not to love me. And that's tearing me apart. So please take this away from me. And I heard a voice. The only time in my life I've ever heard. A voice that wasn't my own. And the voice said. But that's what you're doing to me. And I realized, um, that he was showing me what he felt. Um, by my not knowing him and loving him. And, um. So I collapsed and I said, well, I won't do it to you anymore. Um. And please, please help my son. And so I the next morning, I called up the church and I said, I'd like to get baptized because I hadn't been baptized as a kid. Like, get my family baptized. And, um, a couple of days later with my son's six month birthday, and, um, he was completely normal. He was smiling and interacting in a perfectly normal child. Um, and it radically changed the way I came to see science. I came to understand that, um, that the world is intelligently designed. The world comes from a mind, from a powerful, powerful mind and a very loving mind. And that we can't do good science unless we acknowledge, um, where the world really comes from. You can't do science with blinders on. You've got to understand the truth. And the truth is God. So I think it's helped my science a lot. It's helped my understanding of the mind and brain relationship. It has helped even my basic research. My research mainly is on blood flow to the brain, and understanding that it's a design system made by an intelligent agent has been enormously helpful in understanding how blood flow to the brain works.
S1: Wow. Wow. I got tears in my eyes when I read that part about God saying, but that's what you're doing to me. And I thought how often were like that? We're like autistic children that don't make contact with God, and yet he loved us so much he sent his son to die for us. And so that intimacy is he's waiting. He's just waiting for us to come to him, which I think is so profound and so precious and so almost incomprehensible. As a physician, how did it change the way you treated patients when you went from a materialistic to a biblical worldview?
S5: Well, I as I said, I always thought that the Christians were quite nice. So I was always nice to my patients. But I came to, I would speak to them more about God and about faith, if that's what they wanted. And I, many of my patients have have deep faith. And I came to see I came to see that people of deep faith seem to deal better with the very difficult things that neurosurgical patients face, that they face brain injury, they face, brain tumors, strokes, all kinds of horrible, horrible things. And people of faith seem to have a deeper well of resilience in dealing with that kind of thing. And that also impressed me.
S1: Wow. Wow. Amazing. Let me talk about epilepsy because you write about this in the book. And you define it as a doorway to the human mind. And you tell us the story of a patient you call Sam. Talk to me about how this began to open the door for so many things that you discovered.
S5: Back in the 1940s. It was discovered that a certain kind of seizure could be stopped by cutting the brain in half, basically. It sounds like a crazy radical idea, but there's a bundle of fibers called the corpus callosum that connects the two brain hemispheres. It's got about two 2 billion fibers in it. Um, and the, um, seizures pass across that connection. And if you go in and cut that connection, it prevents the propagation of seizures and people do much better. Um, most seizures can be controlled with medication, but there are some that you need to do that that operation and was found that it worked very, very well. So from about 1940 on, there have been thousands of patients who've had that surgery. And I've done the surgery. And what I found remarkable about it is that you can disconnect the hemispheres of the brain, and people are really normal. That is, they don't feel like two people. Uh, it would be the same thing as if you took a chainsaw and you cut your computer in half, and it still worked just fine. It's a very odd thing to have somebody whose brain has been functionally disconnected side to side who really feels it perfectly integrated person and so on. So I began looking into the scientific research on this. And, um, there's a doctor named Roger Sperry. He's a scientist who won the Nobel Prize studying these patients. And what he found, which many other scientists have found. The same thing, is that cutting the brain in half with that operation does give people very subtle perceptual disabilities. Um, and you can, for example, show an object to one hemisphere of the brain, another object to another hemisphere of the brain, and the person has a restricted experience of those two different hemispheres. But there is no disconnection of consciousness, and there's no disconnection of the ability to form concepts and to use reason. So there's a part of the mind that is not cut by cutting the brain, although there's also a part of the mind that is cut by cutting the brain. And so it's a dramatic finding.
S1: Unbelievable. As you were talking again, it just gives such depth of meaning to the Psalmist's declaration that we're fearfully and wonderfully made. The mystery and the majesty of the brain. Doctor Michael Egner is with us. He's an award winning brain surgeon and author of the new book, The Immortal Mind A Neurosurgeon's case for the existence of the soul. There's so much in the book, and it is magnificent back after this. The Immortal Mind A neurosurgeons case for the existence of the soul. That is the new book by Doctor Michael Egnor, who's professor of neurosurgery and pediatrics at State University of New York, Stony Brook. I want to go to this idea of lucidity in a minute, but I want to remind our friends that you write early on in the book that the mind is defined as our perceptions, emotions, memories, thoughts, capacity for reason, our free will, and so on. The brain, a £3 organ in our skull that generates electrical signals and neurochemicals. So I want to do that because what I'm going to ask you now speaks to where again, this distinction starts to become more and more clear vis a vis your observations and your practice. So you talk about terminal lucidity and paradoxical lucidity. What is that?
S5: Um, lucidity, uh, either paradoxical or terminal, refers to a rather common occurrence in people who have, uh, severe brain problems, particularly in Alzheimer's disease, in which they will be in a very bad way. Uh non-communicative. Um, really, you know, out of it and then for a brief period of time, commonly half hour, 45 minutes will wake up and be very interactive and in many ways be their old self again. And then they slip back into the unresponsive state. Um, this has been called terminal lucidity because it not uncommonly happens, uh, within a day or even a few hours of death. However, um, it really can happen any time. It's not necessarily a sign of impending death, and it's very well documented. I have a colleague here at Stony Brook, Steven Post, who's written a book about it. It's fairly well studied and it's quite real. And Denise O'Leary, who's my co-author on this book, Denise is a science journalist from Canada. Um, saw an episode of Paradoxical Lucidity with, uh, her father, uh, who was in the advanced stages of, uh, brain disease.
S1: Wow. You know, when I read this part of the book, I thought, Michael, this reminds me of the movie awakenings with Robin Williams and Robert De Niro. And I thought, I think that's the lucidity that you were talking about.
S5: Yes, yes. People can just just wake up and be their old self. After years of, um, problems with memory and dementia from things like Alzheimer's.
S1: Wow. So let me just ask a question from your peers in the scientific community. You had an awakening, no pun intended, where you suddenly realized that there is a sense of immortality Brutality, and you were beginning to see the handiwork of God as you were treating your patients. But to your peers in the scientific community who are not yet there, do they draw a distinction between the mind and the brain, or are they one and the same?
S5: There are many different theories about how the mind relates to the brain. Um, probably the two most common theories nowadays among neuroscientists are both materialist theories of sorts. One is called functionalism, and the idea is that the brain is like the hardware and a computer, and the mind is like the software in a computer. Uh, the other theory is called eliminative materialism. And eliminative materialism is a theory that we don't have minds, that actually the only thing we have is brain processes, and that it's just a confusion of language when we're talking about a thought or a feeling, what we're really just talking about is a state of the brain and the original mind involved. I think both of those theories are wrong. Um, and um, but those those are the two common materialist theories. Most materialists. I'm sorry. Most, um, neuroscientists, uh, don't embrace dualism, don't embrace the existence of the soul. Although historically there have been many neuroscientists who who have. Uh, Charles Sherrington, the pioneer in neuroscience, was. I was a dualist. Wilder Penfield, a pioneering neurosurgeon, was a dualist. Uh, got him. Eccles, who won the Nobel Prize for neuroscience in the 1960s, was a dualist. A number of neuroscientists have been dualists, but nowadays most neuroscientists are materialists.
S1: Hmm. Fascinating. So that. And you write about this in the book. There's so many angles on this book that I just found intriguing, and each one of them deserves a one hour conversation on their own. But in light of what you just shared, let me talk about if you if you are a dualist, it makes sense. If you're not. What do you do with the whole concept of free will?
S5: Uh, free, free will has been a tremendous problem. Um, and it's, uh, for, for, uh, materialists. It's not a problem for dualists, or at least not in the same way, um, materialists have really struggled with explaining how free will could be possible if everything that we do is a result of material processes in the brain. Um, there are, um, materialists who are what are called compatibilists, who believe that everything is determined by the brain, but you can still have something that's like free will. Uh, and there are materialists who are incompatibilists who believe that free will simply doesn't exist. Um, I think they're both wrong. Um, and they're wrong for, for several reasons. Um, the most obvious reason is that everybody in the world actually believes in free will, because we live our lives that way. Uh, we we we all have, you know, moral feelings. We hold ourselves and other people accountable and so on. And you wouldn't do that if you didn't, on some level, believe that free will was real. Uh, the other problem is that denial of free will is self-refuting. That is, if you say you're just a meat machine with no ability to to to choose rationally, then why would we listen to what you have to say? Why would we pay any attention to what you're saying? Um, the third reason of free will is real is that, um, there is room for it in science. That is that determinism in physics, the idea that everything that happens in a physical world is completely determined by material things that just precede it, has been shown to be basically wrong, at least in the main theory of quantum mechanics. And the fourth reason of free will, I think, is real is that the neuroscience supports that view.
S1: And tell me why you think neuroscience supports it. Well, there's the music, there's the music. So forgive me. That's that was rude on my part. I want to give you enough time to answer, Michael. So I don't want to have to rush you through the break. Let me leave that last one hanging evidence, by the way, you just gave for you. You do an expansive coverage on this in the book The Immortal Mind. The fact that we all behave as if free will is real. Evidence from logic. evidence from physics and evidence from neuroscientists. So I want to go to that last one when we come back. The book is called The Immortal Mind A Neurosurgeon's case for the existence of the soul. So often we say in this program, isn't it marvelous when you see science affirming what God has already told us to be true, fearfully and wonderfully made? And if God has placed eternity in our hearts, and the word says that that's the case, then there has to be something more. And does science substantiate that? That's what this book is really all about. More with Doctor Michael Egnor after this egnor. If what you hear on In the market with Janet Parshall encourages you, enlightens you, engages you, and equips you, I want to ask you to become a partial partner today. This program depends on the faithful and ongoing support of listeners just like you. By supporting this program on a regular, ongoing monthly basis, you'll receive several benefits that only my partners receive. So please call today 877 1877 Janet 58 or go online to In the market with Janet Parshall. Award winning brain surgeon Doctor Michael Egnor is our guest. He's professor of neurosurgery and pediatrics at the Renaissance School of Medicine at Stony Brook University. He received his medical degree from the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Columbia University, and trained in neurosurgery at the University of Miami. He's been on the faculty, by the way, at Stony Brook since 1991. So he has a lot of experience and thousands of procedures under his belt. So when he writes the book The Immortal Mind A Neurosurgeons Case for the existence of the soul. Well, in the law you'd say this is your expert witness. And I think the jury would be impressed with the credentials that Doctor Egnor brings to the table. So we were just talking about the fact that free will is a reality. And you gave us four areas and you expand on this. As I noted earlier in the book, the fact that we all behave like we have free will, there's evidence from logic, there's evidence from physics, and then there's evidence from neuroscience, which really kind of an unfair question, Michael, because that's the primary thesis of the book. But tell me some more about why we can say neuroscience points to the existence of free will.
S5: Sure. Um, some of the original neuroscience research on free wills was done by Wilder Penfield. Uh, Doctor Penfield was a pioneer in neurosurgery back in the middle of the 20th century in Montreal. And he, um, was especially interested in understanding epilepsy. So he did, um, about 1100 brain operations with the patients awake. I mentioned earlier in this hour that I've operated on people awake during their surgery, and he did it 1100 times. And what he would do is map their brains. He used local anesthesia so they didn't feel any pain. And he mapped their brains with an electrical stimulator to find out what parts of the brain were safe to, um, to remove if they were causing seizures and what parts were not safe. And he had to leave alone. So one of his experiments was he could make people's limbs move by stimulating the part of the brain that makes the limbs move. And he told the patients who were under surgical drapes and couldn't see what he was doing, and they couldn't feel what he was doing, either, because the brain has no sense of touch. Um, he said, I want you to occasionally raise your arm, and I'll occasionally make your arm raise by by stimulating your brain. And I want you to tell me when you have willed your arm to raise and when I make your arm raise. So he did it, you know, thousands and thousands of times on a whole spectrum of patients. And they always got it right. They always knew when when they raised their arm, the patient would say, no, I raise my arm that time, or Penfield would make their arm raise and the patient would say, I didn't. Will that you did it to me. He could never find the will area in the brain. And he said, the obvious explanation for that is, is that will doesn't come from the brain, that it's free, that that it's a spiritual power. It's not a physical power. Um, the other research that's been done on free will was done by Benjamin Libet, who is a neuroscientist from California back in the mid 20th century, um, who was a wonderful neuroscientist and did fascinating experiments in which he would ask people to decide to do something like push a button. And they had a clock in front of them with a sweep hand that would allow them to time the moment the decision entered their mind, the moment they said, I'm going to push the button to with like to within like 20 milliseconds of the time they had that thought. And what he found was that for push, like pushing a button, um, about half a second before you push a button, there's a spike in your brain, um, that your brain sort of says it's time to push the button, but you're not consciously aware of that until after the spike. So it looked as though we didn't really have the free will to push the buttons that the brain was forcing it, and we just happened to think we were free. But what Libet did was he asked the people occasionally to veto their decision to push the button so they would get this urge to push the button. They note the time they would go to push the button and then they'd say, nope, I'm not going to do it. I'm going to stop. And he found that the veto was not associated with any new brainwave. So he said that we are tempted by what the brain gives us, and that's preconscious. We're not fully conscious of it, but we get these temptations, but we can choose freely to accept or not accept it. He says that's where free will is. And he said, in a sense, it's free won't that is, that we can choose not to do it if it's if it's a bad, bad temptation. So there have been a lot of people who followed up on Penfield's research, not not Penfield's Libet's research. And, um, although his research is often interpreted as showing that we don't have free will, it actually showed the opposite. And Libert was a strong believer in the reality of free will.
S1: Wow. Absolutely fascinating. In deference to time, let me move to another topic. And by the way, you expand on all of this in your new book, The Immortal Mind. And I want our friends to know if this is a conversation that's getting you curious, then I will have done my job. I want you to get excited about this book so you'll pick up your own copy. I've talked to many a theologian about near-death experiences, but Michael, I don't know how many neurosurgeons I've talked to, and I'm fascinated by getting your vantage point on this. You know, some people dismiss it outright. There are all kinds of theories about what actually causes this. But you identified this as someone who's medically dead but has a spiritual experience. Talk to me about this.
S5: Well, um, there are a number of people. The estimates are about 9 million people in the in the United States have had some kind of near-death experience or out-of-body experience associated with being very sick. So it actually has happened to millions of people in this country right now, and it's relatively common. Um, and um, there are four characteristics of near-death experiences that really point to their reality. First of all, they're very usually very highly organized. They're very clear. There's often a life review. There's often a conscious decision to to return to one's body. Um, it's not like a hallucination. It's not like, uh, if you have a lack of oxygen, it's very clear. The second characteristic is that people see what's going on in the room around them. That is, even when their brain is dead, when it's not functioning, they can see the names on people's name tags. They can see. They can hear what people are talking about in the room. They see things like up near the ceiling of the room that they couldn't see from their vantage point. Um, so there's a there's a lot of corroboration that that goes on. The third thing is that as far as I know, there's never been a report in the scientific literature, and there are thousands of reports in the scientific literature of near-death experiences where people at the other end of the tunnel, they often have a tunnel that leads them into heaven, where people have seen any living people, that is. We only encounter dead people in near-death experiences, which of course makes sense because these experiences are real. And the fourth characteristic is that they're transformative. People very often radically change their lives based on these experiences. Um, the most dramatic near-death experience, I think, actually happened to a neurosurgical patient in 1991 named Pam Reynolds. She had an aneurysm at the base of her brain and needed a radical operation done in Phoenix by Robert Spetzler, who was a famous neurosurgeon. Um, and what Doctor Spetzler had to do was cool her body down to about 60°F, stop her heart, drain the blood out of her brain, fix the aneurysm. It was a blood vessel problem, and then restart her heart and allow the blood to go back into her brain. So for 30 minutes, she was absolutely brain dead during that time. She left her body. She floated up to the ceiling. She watched the whole operation. She understood the conversations that people had in the operating room. She described the instruments and detail that were being used. She went down a tunnel she encountered. She encountered her grandmother and some relatives who told her that she wasn't ready to die yet. She had to go back and raise her children. She came back down the tunnel and she said that entering her body again was like diving into a pool of ice water, which is real because her body temperature was 60 degrees, actually.
S1: Right.
S5: So near-death experiences are very well documented in the medical literature, and I believe that, um, many of them are very real, real experiences. Um, so they're they're quite true. Um.
S1: Wow. So let me ask you, as a Christian now, again, because you had that epiphany and the floor of the chapel, and now you look at things markedly different. What do you think when you see these experiences again over and over? I'm staggered by the numbers. When you talk about millions of people, this can't be a one off. You know, and there are all kinds of conversations and theories out there about this is just chemicals going off in the brain. And, I mean, there's a myriad of other things, but you have a different perspective on this from where you sit. It's inarguable that these are legitimate. So why? I mean, how do we drop that into a scientific. Yeah, I can't I can't put this in a laboratory and in a petri dish, and yet it happens. So how do we handle this?
S5: Well, um, it can be scientifically affirmed in various ways. One is that there is corroboration. About 20% of near-death experiences have things that the patient sees in their environment when they're brain dead. So you can prove it. I mean, it's it's clear, um, and, um, uh, again, they only see dead people on the, on the other side of the experience. And people's subjective experience can be a part of science. The whole science of psychology is people's subjective experiences. So we can't discount, at least 9 million people who've had these life transforming events. Um, and science needs to let go of their materialist ideology, their materialist bias, and understand that this stuff is real.
S1: Wow. You report that Pam's story was told on CBS's 48 hours, and also there was a BBC documentary entitled The Day I died that tells her story as well again. So let me ask you, for those who don't yet have a dualist perspective, who don't yet believe in the immortal mind, and we pray someday that they do come to that realization. So how do they handle these things?
S5: Well, I just ask them to please follow the evidence that is that don't let your bias, don't let your ideology get in the way of the truth. Um, so just look at look at the evidence and look at it as objectively as possible. And um, at so many of these examples of scientific evidence, near-death experiences, um, experiences with stimulating the brain in surgery, their experiences with free will. If you just step back and look at it objectively, we obviously have souls and we obviously have spiritual souls where there's an aspect of our soul that is not material, that's not just part of the brain.
S1: This coming from a neurosurgeon. I tell you, this book is fascinating. The Immortal mind, a neurosurgeons case for the existence of the soul. By the way, if you go to our information page, there's a link to the book you can click on through so that you can get your own copy. It is one of those books. It's written for the layman, by the way, even though this is an award winning brain surgeon, but it's written for you and me so you can understand exactly what's going on. Share it with someone who still doesn't believe in the idea that we are bodies that have a spirit, but we're really spirits in a body. Share this book with them. It will open their eyes back after this. Doctor Michael Egnor is with us, professor of neurosurgery and pediatrics at State University of New York, Stony Brook. He served as the director of pediatric neurosurgery, and again, he is an award winning brain surgeon. His new book, absolutely fascinating. It's called The Immortal Mind A Neurosurgeons Case for the existence of the soul. By the way, if you have a friend who's struggling, who really does think that there is this ongoing conflict between science and faith, this is a wonderful book to share with them, to really understand that there's evidence in science that affirms the reality of a creator and our intelligent designer in such intelligence. I imagine when you look at the brain, Michael, more and more of his greatness is revealed all the time. I was fascinated that you took up the subject of AI, because you think of ones and zeros and nuts and bolts and motherboards and diodes and all of that kind of stuff. And you think, well, how in the world does that enter into the world of neurosurgery? But it really does speak to the transcendence of the discipline that you're in, which is the idea that somehow we can subscribe humanness to a machine. I chafe and will never use pronouns when talking about a machine, so I won't call Sophia, she or Amaka, she their machines and if they want to try to make them in the image of a human being, they don't realize that they're hinting at something greater that they don't yet understand. Which is the whole idea of Imago Dei. Can we ever make a machine that is sentient? Can we ever make a machine? From your vantage point, that would have a soul?
S5: No, no, the idea is, is not only scientifically wrong, it's nonsense. It just doesn't even make any sense. Um, the, um, in the 19th century, um, there is a, um. A thread in philosophy, um, that, um, pointed out that, um, the fundamental thing about a, a thought that distinguishes it from a physical thing is called intentionality, which means that all thoughts have meaning. Um, if you think about it, everything you think about in some way means something. You think about things. You think about dinner. You think about your spouse. You think about Washington, D.C., but physical things don't have meaning. That is that a brick or a rock or a pencil doesn't have intrinsic meaning itself. We can ascribe meaning to them, but they don't have meaning of their own. Um, computation on, on the other hand, is always blind to meaning. Computation is just moving electrons around. And so computation is the process of taking an input, having a set of rules, and getting an output. But the output, the input and the output have have no meaning in themselves. So computers can't think. And in fact computation is the opposite of thought. Thought always has meaning and computation never has meaning. If you think about it, um, if computation did have meaning, it would be very impractical because it would mean that, say for example, you're typing an essay and expressing an opinion on your on your word processor. If your word processor, word processor itself had thoughts. It might disagree with you. It might not let you type. But so just the fact that we can use the computer to to express anything we want implies that the computer itself adds no thoughts to it. A computer, or even the most sophisticated AI, is no more capable of consciousness or of thought than my watch is capable of. Knowing what time it is, or a thermometer is capable of knowing what the temperature is. They're all tools. They're tools that help us think. But the tool can't think.
S1: Wow. Again, so important coming from you, a neurosurgeon. Because I will hear tech creators say we're teaching computers how to think. Now, I want to underscore a word that you just used. They can compute, but that is a distinction. Is it not, between thinking. And if you can think, therefore you can create. And we've got creators of AI that are telling us, well, if you put in enough information, they'll start teaching themselves again. We take these human words and superimpose them on a machine. They'll teach themselves how to think and create. That's I think it's it's wordsmithing, is it not? Because it's not a reality.
S5: Yes, yes. It's using words in the wrong context. Every bit of thought that is represented in a computer came from a human being. Computers simply leverage our thoughts. That is, their ways of expressing our thoughts. Just like a book is a way of expressing thoughts, or speech is a way of expressing thoughts. Um, now, AI is an extremely powerful thing and has enormous capacity for both good and evil. Um, but every bit of thought in AI is human thought, and AI leverages leverages our thoughts. I think in some ways that we don't fully understand yet. I mean, it's a very complex matter, but everything in there is us. AI is us, and the computer is just It's just the instrument. It's the tool.
S1: You talk about chat bots hallucinating. Talk to me about what that means.
S5: Well, there's a bizarre phenomenon that has been noticed that I can at times, um, when it when it mimics human speech, uh, just say nonsensical things. It can be talking about mathematics or philosophy and then suddenly start talking about rabbits, like, like it has a hallucination. Um, there, you know, there are all kinds of glitches that can happen in, in computers. Computers can freeze, computers can do weird things. Um, it's of course not a real hallucination. Um, a real hallucination is something a person has, but it's a glitch in the in the process of computation that can give you bizarre results. And it's another example of how we really have to get smart about what AI is and understand how it works. And as long as we think that AI is thinking, then we're not smart about what I really is.
S1: Oh well said. Thank you for that. You make this declarative statement. You say the human mind does require a soul. Why?
S5: The soul really is, um, according to Thomas Aquinas, is the principle of life in a human being. That is everything that makes you alive. Everything that makes you different from a dead body is your soul. So it's not a particularly mysterious thing. It's not like Casper the Ghost or this translucent thing that sort of is like your shape. You can see through it. That's not the soul we're talking about. The soul we're talking about is just all the stuff we do that makes us alive. And the mind is, of course, part of how we express ourselves as living, as living things. And so the mind is part of our soul.
S1: Well, Michael, you end the book so profoundly you say we cannot enter eternity justified by our own lives. I have not lived a single day that I would that would make me proud before God. So many of us can say that, by the way, with you the immortality of my soul and the eternal consequences of my life mean that I need to be forgiven. I need to place my trust in someone capital S who bore my sins, and I need to accept his grace. Scripture, self-reflection, and science all point to this reality about us. We are embodied spirits who need God's love and forgiveness now and in eternity. This from an award winning brain surgeon, Michael. Absolutely fascinating book. May God fling wide open the doors of opportunity for you to spread this message and create a robust, fruitful conversation within the scientific community. For those who do not yet know that profound truth you wrote about at the end of your book, it is fabulous. Thank you for the gift of this conversation and your book. Again, it's called The Immortal Mind A Neurosurgeon's case for the existence of the soul. I've got it on my information page. Check it out. Read it and then share it with a friend, won't you? Thanks for joining us, friends. We'll see you next time on In the Market with Janet Parshall.