S1: Hello friends. It's time for the second hour of Open Line with Doctor Michael Ray Dolnick Moody Radio's Bible Study Across America. We're talking about your questions, the ones you come up with about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. Where do you get these questions, I wonder? Sometimes I think you're at Bible studies, or maybe hear a sermon, or just some struggles you're having with your own time in the word and you wonder about something. I'm so glad that you can call. My name is Michael Ray Dolnick. I'm the academic dean and professor of Jewish Studies and Bible at Moody Bible Institute, and we are sitting around the radio kitchen table talking about your questions. So now's the time to call (877) 548-3675. Remember, if you can't call, just go to our website openline radio.org. You can click on the link that says Ask Michael a question, and Tricia will put your question into the mailbag for next week. Well, I hope you have your Bibles out ready. Second cup of coffee right there, because we're going to talk about the scriptures. We're going to speak with Gary in Georgia, listening on Wpfw. Welcome to Open Line, Gary. How can I help you today?
S2: Yes, sir. Thank you for having me. Mhm. Uh, my my question was uh, there's like a, I heard there's a third temple being built in Israel. Does that have any correlation or relation with the Jesus second coming soon.
S1: We're not there is there is no temple. There is Gary. There is no temple being built. There's a there's a group called there's a group called the Temple Mount faithful And they want to have a temple built. I happen to believe that they're not driven by spirituality. They are driven mostly by politics. They're trying to make a statement. They don't like it that Israel allows the Waqf, which is the Muslim leadership, to control the Temple Mount in terms of what's done up there at the dome of the Rock at the Al-Aqsa mosque. Uh, they they believe that Israeli sovereignty should drive those Islamic sites off the top of the Temple Mount and build a temple. But it's they're driven by politics. They're not driven. It's a very small group to it doesn't have much influence, but they're driven by politics more than they are driven by any kind of faith or spirituality. The but they have gone ahead and they've built some, uh, aspects of the temple in the sense that they have, like the Menorah. The menorah, you say in Hebrew. Uh, the the seven branched candelabrum that's described in the Tabernacle passage in Exodus. Uh, they've built one of those and they've built some things like that so that when the temple is ever rebuilt, they'll have these accoutrements of the temple that they will have. But, uh, I think the temple will be rebuilt. But what you're seeing today in Israel is not related to that. Uh, at least not at this point. So does that help Gary at this point?
S2: Yeah, at this point. Yes. Thank you so much, sir. Sure. God bless.
S1: You. Uh, God bless you. Uh, we're going to speak with, uh, Terry in Oxford, Florida, listening on keys. Hey, Terry, welcome to Open Line.
S3: Thank you. Good morning. Thank you for taking my question.
S1: Sure.
S3: My question. My question is this. In revelation six, It speaks about the souls that are under the altar that have been slain for their testimony to Christ. And then in chapter seven, it talks about, and this is my question. I'm not sure if it's the same group of people that says, these are the ones who can't come out of the great tribulation. So my question is, are the ones under the altar, those that were slain for their testimony to Christ up to the point of the tribulation? Or are they part of those that are slain during the tribulation?
S1: Okay, let's let's talk about what you're talking about in revelation six, when the fifth seal. Is that what you're talking about? It says the peoples slaughtered because of God's Word, and the testimony they had on a white robe was given to each one, each one of them. Is that who you're talking about? Yes. In revelation And six. They're the ones that cry out for justice. Avenge our blood from those who live on the earth. Right. So those are tribulation martyrs, okay? Because it's at the fifth seal. Then in revelation seven, you've got the seal of Israel. Those are the Jewish people who are sealed and protected as servants of God. We're not sure what they're going to do. It just says they're going to serve the Lord. They're they're servants of God. However, what follows very the very next thing, immediately, again, a multitude from the Great Tribulation. After this I looked and there was a vast multitude from every nation, tribe, people and language. They're obviously not the 144,000 Israelites who are sealed, but people from every nation, tribe and tongue, innumerable standing before the throne and before the lamb. They were robed in white and palm branches were in their hands. They cried out. Salvation belongs to our God. So these are a multitude from the tribulation period. Who are these people robed in white? They are the ones coming out of the great tribulation. Verse 13 and 14 says, so it seems to me that in chapter six it mentions that there are people in the tribulation. In chapter seven it describes them again as the fruit of the servants of God. So that kind of clues us in as to who those 144,000 are. There are like 144,000 Jewish Billy Graham's preaching the gospel during the tribulation. They're going to win many people from every tribe, nation, tongue, uh, and they will. Then many of them will be martyred and go to be with the Lord during the tribulation. And that's who they are. So both passages, simply put, are tribulation martyrs. Okay. Okay.
S3: I was wondering because every time I see the phrase after these things, I read that to mean that this thing has happened and now this thing is happening.
S1: Mhm. So which one wasn't sure. Well and I'm sorry when, when you see after these things where do you see that in chapter seven verse nine.
S3: Actually in a lot of revelation it'll.
S1: Say yeah I know but but it's in, it's in verse nine it says chapter seven, verse nine. After this I looked so after he sees the sealing of the 144,000, he, uh, he looks and he sees the vast multitude of, of martyrs. But that doesn't mean it's after chapter six. Chapter six is sort of a summary of the judgments of the first half of the tribulation. Okay, so it's after he sees. It it's after he sees the sealing of the 144,000 that he sees the tribulation martyrs.
S3: Okay. So so the ones in, in chapter six are part of those.
S1: That are referenced.
S3: In chapter seven.
S1: Yes. Same thing. Okay. Okay.
S3: Okay. Thank you so much.
S1: Hey. Good question. Thanks for calling. Really appreciate it. Uh, we're going to speak with, uh, Linda listening in Pennsylvania, I guess, online. Welcome to Open Line. Linda. How can I help you today?
S4: Well, Michael, I believe I was transitioning from the car to the house, and you were talking a lot about my question right now, but the question I'm asking is who exactly is going to be in the millennium? And and is it going to be the people that have survived the tribulation? And I also know that those souls that are under the altar, the martyrs, are to come alive and and return and help judge during the millennium. Uh, who else is going to be in the millennium? Because I've heard a preacher say that we're all coming back and we are all going to be in the kingdom.
S1: Well, let me ask you this, Linda. Uh, have you trusted in Jesus ever? Is he your Lord and savior?
S4: Absolutely.
S1: I thought so. Hey, you're going to be in the millennium. How cool is that? Because the Bible says that, uh, you and I, if we will either be raptured with the resurrection or at the rapture, we will be translated into the presence of God, and then we will be in, uh, in heaven awaiting the marriage supper of the lamb. And then in revelation 19, after the marriage supper of the lamb, we will descend with the Lord when he comes to deliver Israel at the end of the tribulation. And then he sets up the kingdom. And guess who came with him? We did. So who will be in the kingdom in the millennium? It will be anyone that's a follower of Jesus. From from, uh, the church era. Anyone of the Old Testament saints who are going to be resurrected to enter into the kingdom, uh, the messianic kingdom, the Millennial Kingdom at the end of the tribulation. It talks about that in Daniel 12. So all the resurrected believers of the Old Testament, all the resurrected believers from the church age, and then also there will be people who are not yet resurrected, the people who are the sheep of Matthew 25, the the Gentile nations who didn't, uh, persecute the Lord's brothers Israel during the tribulation. Because of their faith they will enter, not yet having been immortalized, uh, resurrected. And also the Jewish believers, Jewish people who have believed during the tribulation and put their trust in Jesus but have not yet died. Those who are delivered, they will also enter the kingdom, the Millennial Kingdom at that time. Uh, and they will. Those are the ones that will marry and reproduce and such in the millennium. Okay.
S4: So there will be more, uh, immortal and mortal people in the millennium.
S1: Bingo. You got it, Linda. That's exactly right.
S4: Right. And then. And then when we transitioned that. And Peter, the earth has to, you know, say for fire and and then and melt, everything will melt. And then the new heaven and the new earth. How does that happen? Where are we in between? There.
S1: You know what? I, the earth will be destroyed. We're going to be with the Lord. Uh, I'm not sure what you're asking. I mean, it doesn't say we're going anywhere else. We're going to be with the Lord, and then we enter into the new creation. Uh, the material, new creation, the new heavens and the new earth. And we'll be with the Lord. It says in revelation 22, his servants will serve him. That's you and me will still be there. Okay, uh, this earth is destroyed, but there's a new heavens and new earth, and we get to be part of that? Yeah. Okay.
S4: That's it. How do we transition to that?
S1: You know what? I'm going to I'm going to save that one for the Lord. I don't he didn't give us the details on it. Okay. Apparently we'll be able to do it. Uh, I don't know how the transition happens. Uh, you know, this is, uh, you know, that's a curiosity. I don't think that, uh, that we have to worry about it. The Lord knows what he's doing. Okay.
S4: Okay. Thank you very much.
S1: Okay. Thank you. Linda, thanks for the call. We're going to take a break here. When we come back, we're going to talk about your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. In fact, Estelle's got a question about the Mark of the beast. So we're in end end times discussion apparently now, so I'm glad to answer that as best I can. Uh, my name is Michael Ray Dolnick. This program is called Open Line. It's on the Moody on Moody Radio. We're going to be right back with more in just a bit, so don't go away. Welcome back to Open Line. So glad to be with you. I'm so grateful for all of you who give to Open Line, not just listen, but actually give. Uh, we just appreciate it so much. And just so you know, uh, we have a new resource that will be our way of saying thank you when it comes to your gift, we, you know, we love to send you a gift. When you give a gift, we love. We love to send you something back to say thanks. And what we're sending this time is a Bible study resource. That is an excerpt from the Moody Bible Commentary. A lot of you have seen the Moody Bible Commentary. It's a big fat book, million and a half Words. But what we've done is we've pulled out Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, and Colossians, some of the most timeless wisdom that we could find in Scripture. And we've taken those commentaries, put them in a book, and that's what we want to send you. An excerpt from the Moody Bible Commentary on Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, and Colossians. Uh, this is a really helpful little commentary. If you're preparing a Bible lesson or leading a home group discussion, or just in your quiet time, you want to have a deeper understanding of the passage as you're reading the scriptures. Uh, whatever it is, uh, feel free to pick up, uh, this, this little commentary. Uh, and, uh, all you have to do is when you give your gift, uh, make sure to ask for it by name. Uh, the commentary from the excerpt from the Moody Bible commentary on Galatians through Colossians, the way to do that, to give you to do that, to give your gift, is by calling (888) 644-7122 or going to open line radio.org. And we thank you so much for your generosity. Uh, we're going to talk to Estelle in Schaumburg, listening on Wmbi. Welcome to Open Line, Estelle. How can I help you?
S5: Thank you, Doctor Rydell. Uh, I had two questions, but I chose. Wait, wait.
S1: One. Do you remember Bobby Rydell? Yeah, well, people used to ask me all the time if he changed his name from Rydell, but it's not he. We're not related at all. So. And Rydell High was not named for me or my family, so just saying. But go ahead. Uh, what's your. How can I help you?
S5: Okay. My question, uh, is if you accept the mark of the beast, can you, in revelations repent and be saved? Because a lot of people are saying that once you do that, there's no coming back. That would negate no sin that cannot be forgiven. Or how is it?
S1: Yeah. Says, uh. Well, the Mark of the beast. Uh, when it talks about getting the mark of the beast, it says that those people are, uh, destined. I'm trying to find the passage where it says that they are destined for eternal separation from God. Uh. Uh, I found the very first passage. Uh, they'll be given a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, uh, so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark of the beast. I think it's in revelation. Uh, further on where it talks about that, they, uh, they can't. Well, not that they can't be saved, but they won't be saved. Uh, where is that verse? Uh, Here I am turning pages. I should, uh. Well, here's what I. Oh, here it is, I found it. Revelation 14. Uh, if anyone worships the beast and his image and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand, he will also drink the wine of God's wrath, which is mixed full strength. In the cup of his anger, he will be, uh, tormented with fire and sulfur in the sight of the holy angels, and in the sight of the lamb, and the smoke of their torment will go up forever and ever. There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or anyone who receives the mark of his name. That's revelation 14, verses nine through 11. Now why do I bring that up? Because that's where people say that no one can be saved, because it says that they are destined for eternal separation from God if they've accepted the mark of the beast. Now, I said this once on the radio and got a lot of people mad at me, so I'm going to just say it again because I actually think, I don't know if anyone will repent of taking the mark of the beast, but this to me, as I read that I think this is saying, if anyone worships the beast and his image and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand and doesn't repent. And doesn't turn to Jesus for forgiveness, he will also drink of the wine of God's wrath. I don't think that between verses nine and ten, we can leave out the idea that a person could turn to Jesus even during the tribulation, even with the mark of the beast. I think the grace of God is great and he can forgive someone who has done that. I think what this verse is saying is, if they take the mark of the beast and never repent, they will be forever separated from God. That's how I understand it, because I really believe that whatever sin we have become involved in, uh, we can repent and the Lord can forgive us. We can turn in faith to Jesus and turn away from that which we were, uh, trusting in before and be experience forgiveness. Now, here's the issue. I think that sometimes people become so hardened in their sin that they won't ever turn to Jesus. And I'm wondering, too, when I read this verse, is this talking about people who are so hardened when they take the the mark of the beast that they won't repent? But I don't know that. Uh, so at this point, what I'll say is, it seems to me this is saying those who take the mark of the beast and don't repent will be forever separated from God. And if they can repent, I know it's God that will bring them to him. So. But that's how I understand it. Okay, Estelle.
S5: Me there for repentance. Yeah. And yeah, they can, but not. Well I.
S1: Don't know.
S5: I don't.
S1: I don't, I don't know if they've been so hardened that they won't repent I don't know. So I'm going to just leave that with God okay.
S5: No I'm saying past that they can. People are saying that there's no room in there.
S1: I, I think what I, what I'm trying to say is they, they are separated from God unless they repent. I don't know if they can repent. Okay. I don't know if they can because they may be so hardened. However, I'm going to leave that with God. You know, God can open their hearts, I think, um, I just don't know. Okay, okay.
S5: All right. Okay, I get that. Yeah.
S1: Yeah. Great. Thank you. I appreciate your call. Uh, we're going to talk with Charles in Michigan. Welcome to Open Line. Charles. How can I help you today? Yeah.
S6: Good. You just. Michael.
S1: Yeah. It's Michael. How can I help you? Charles?
S6: Yes, Michael. I just want to make sure I understand. Hey.
S1: Charles, can can you do me a favor? Turn off whatever you're listening to?
S6: Yes. I have a question regarding predestination.
S1: Okay, turn off your radio, though. Okay?
S6: Okay.
S1: Okay. I want to go ahead with your question.
S6: Predestination. If I make a statement and see if I'm correct.
S1: No, don't don't make a statement. Don't don't don't don't. Charles, just ask me a question, okay?
S6: Okay. Um, God doesn't send people to hell. He still gives them that choice. But God knows who's going to be. Accept him and be in heaven. Am I correct with that?
S1: I'm not sure what you're asking. That's why you should ask a question.
S6: Okay. My question is, some people think that predestination means that God has predestined people to be go to heaven or go or not go to heaven, and that they don't have a choice. Okay.
S1: Now, I understand your question. Now I understand your question. Here's the deal. Some people believe in a double predestination. Uh, the double predestination is that God predestined some for heaven and some for hell. That's why it's double. Do you understand what I mean? One predestination is for heaven. One predestination for hell. Uh, however, I believe that there's a self destination. We sin and we we, we are all sinners, every one of us sins. And the result is that we destine ourselves for separation from God. And then God chooses some. He predestines some for to be a vessel of mercy, and we are forgiven. I think it's interesting. In Romans nine it says, uh, where it talks about the vessels of wrath and the vessels of mercy. Uh, uh, it says here that, uh, he it says, what if he did this to make known the riches of his glory on vessels or objects of mercy that he prepared beforehand for glory? So who prepared them beforehand for glory? That was God himself. However, uh, when it talks about those who, uh, are, uh, who are not who don't know the Lord. Uh, it says something different in verse 22 of Romans nine. What if God, desiring to display his wrath and to make his power known, endured with much patience? Objects of wrath prepared for destruction? Well, it doesn't say who prepared them for destruction. Uh, in fact, some people think it's a middle voice there. Well, it is a middle voice, but they think it has a sense of prepared themselves for destruction. But, uh, it may have that. Or it may just be that it means that it's a passive voice. It doesn't say who prepared them for destruction. I believe our own sinfulness prepares us all for destruction. But God, in his mercy, Predestines prepares some for to receive his mercy. And that's what predestination is. God knows beforehand whom he predestines to show mercy to. We're still humanly responsible to believe. I don't know how that really works itself out, but that's what the Bible teaches. Hope that helps, Charles. We'll be back in just a bit with the mailbag. The Febc mailbag. So don't go away. Tricia McMillan is dragging it in right now. Welcome back. I just want to say we have some great partners on Open Line. Uh, we're grateful that Far Eastern Broadcasting Company partners with Open Line to bring you the weekly Febc mailbag. That's a wonderful organization. They bring the good news to people via media and personal engagement. Check out the Febc podcast it's called Until All have Heard. You can see a lot more. Just go to febc.org. That's febc.org. That's one partner. We also have a partnership with Chosen People Ministries from the very first day that we began on Open Line. So grateful for them. And they're off their offer of the portion, which is this month's offer. It's a devotional based on the weekly portion read in the synagogue. That is just a really helpful little tool to see that we can get wisdom and application, even from the Law of Moses. We don't want to cut the Bible apart and get rid of that. We can learn from it. It's a it's a great little booklet, a devotional for you. If you'd like a copy, just go to Open Line radio.org. Scroll down, you'll see the link to the Chosen People Ministries free gift. Click on that and you'll be taken to a page where you can sign up for your free copy of the portion. Another great partnership, I think, for many years now is my producer, Tricia McMillan. Who you guys, if you're listening, you have no idea how much I rely on Tricia to make this program happen and how what a great friend she is to both Eva and me. We love her so much. And, uh, what a great partnership there. I'm glad she's going to bring the the mail bag in. Yeah. And, uh, by the way, Tricia, let's tell everyone. When I said when you first started, I said, I want you to ask the questions on the air. And you said, well, I don't want to be on the air. And here I am now.
S7: Yeah.
S1: Are you kidding? You're in charge now. You can take over the program and answer the questions. That'd be great. But that's another great partnership. I just appreciate God so much for giving that. And there's other partners too. There's the kitchen table partners, whom I value so much. They listen, uh, they they're regular. Uh, I was really grateful. A woman earlier said that she's a kitchen table partner. I'm so grateful for every listener, but also grateful for those who say, I want to give monthly so that they can, uh, keep us on the air weekly. That's really what they're doing. I so appreciate it. And then Tricia and I produce a Bible study moment every other week. You can listen to it. It's our way of saying thanks for being a kitchen table partner. And if you give if you become a kitchen table partner for $30 a month or more, you actually get 50% off from the whole moody published publisher's catalog. What a great deal that is. And so I hope you'll consider becoming a kitchen table partner. If you've not done so already. All you have to do is call (888) 644-7122 or go to open line radio.org. Okay. Tricia. Uh, what what else have we got here?
S7: Well, our first question is from Facebook. It came in from Lori, and she said, folks use second Chronicles 714 a lot, which says, hold on here. I've got it in my Bible. And my people who are called by my name humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways. Then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. So that is second Chronicles 714. People use that a lot, especially as the election grows closer. Is this scripture being taken out of context when they use it? For any group of followers of Jesus who pray and seek him, that he will heal their land, and more specifically, the American church.
S1: Yeah, that verse is not usually used for the American church at first. It's usually used for the American government. Okay. American nation. Uh, people misapply it that way. When you look at this. It says when I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain. That's verse 13. Or command the locust to devour the land or send pestilence among my people. That's talking about what God did for Israel. Uh, what he promised in Leviticus 26 about what he would do with Israel, uh, what he promised in Deuteronomy 28 through 30, what he would do with Israel if they disobeyed, uh, there would be consequences. But then he says, if my people who are called by my name. That's talking about my people Israel, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and heal their land. The land of Israel, that's what it's talking about. And so we can't take those promises that God made to national Israel and say that applies to the United States somehow, as if we are the people of Israel. But what we can say is there's a principle there of God restoring and forgiving, and the way he will do that is in the American church, which I think sometimes has lost its degree of desire for holiness, of there's compromise about doctrine. There's sadness to me when I look at sometimes at the state of our congregations in many places, not always, but in many places. And so, uh, what will God do when people in the church, uh, it's not talking about withholding rain or sending locusts, but it's saying, what will God do? Uh, well, if we turn to him and seek him, he will restore the church. And maybe, just maybe, the church will then have a greater impact. And we even see revival wherever we are when we do that. So that's what I think that verse is talking about.
S7: Okay. All right. Thank you for that question, Lori. Next question is from Carrie who listens to WNBA, WNBA and says, what does it mean to be born again? A neighbor asked me this and I tried to explain it, but I don't think I was very clear.
S1: So that I remember once a woman trusted the Lord with me in a congregation during a service, I gave an invitation. She responded, I was talking with her afterwards. And this is, oh, a long time ago, probably 30, 34 years ago, she said to me, but I'm not going to become one of those born agains. I said, okay. And then I just went over with her, uh, some passages about security. Then about six months later, she was in my congregation. I was her pastor. She came to me and she said, you know, I've been working. I've been making my way through the gospel since I accepted Jesus. I said, oh, that's great. She said, I've been born again. And you didn't tell me. I said, well, yeah. I didn't think she meant sociologically. She didn't like what she had heard about people who are born again. So I decided not to tell her about that. Uh, it said, uh, it's in John three. Uh, when when the Lord Jesus talks to Nicodemus. Uh, unless you unless someone is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. But how can anyone be born when he is old? Can he enter his mother's womb a second time and be born? I think Nicodemus was being a little facetious there. Jesus answered, I assure you, unless someone is born of water and the spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. Whatever is born of the flesh is flesh. Whatever is born of the spirit is spirit. Uh, now, I think we don't. We have another question about what does it mean? We do. Uh, so I'm going to answer both those questions. What does it mean to be born of water and born of spirit? Some people think that born of water means, uh, to be baptized? I don't think so. Look at the context. It's talking about being born again. Right? Mhm. Uh, and then he says to be born of water and the spirit, and then he defines it by saying that which is born of the flesh is flesh. Whatever is born of the spirit is spirit. So what does it mean? It means to be born of water means to be born in the flesh. Why? Because when a person is born, what happens? Uh, to the mom, the amniotic fluid breaks, the water breaks. Mhm. That's. So it's referring there to physical birth. Uh, it's one thing. One, one birth is physical birth. But the second birth to be born again. The new birth is to be born of the spirit. Uh, when the the Holy Spirit empowers us to trust in Jesus, opens our hearts to believe. And we have a spiritual rebirth that's to be born again. Uh, so to be born again of the spirit. Uh, that which is flesh is flesh. That's what it means to be born of water. We are all. Every person that's alive is born of water. We are born physically. But those of us who trust in Jesus, we are born of the spirit. It's a new birth. That's why second Corinthians 517 says that we are new creatures in the Messiah, uh, completely transformed and given new life. That's what that's talking about.
S7: Okay, so how how does that happen? How does that happen? How does someone born of the spirit.
S1: Yeah, the the new birth. Here's here's the key. We have to recognize that we all do things wrong. Every one of us. And that separates us from God. But Jesus died for our sins and was raised again so that he could take the punishment that we deserved, and then was raised again, proving that he did and that he's God. All we have to do is trust in him. And if you're listening and think, I have only been born once, it's time to be born again. It's time to be born of the spirit. It's time to put your trust in Jesus. I really want to encourage you. If you've never put your trust in Jesus, now is the day. Today is the day. Don't miss the opportunity to trust in Jesus, to be forgiven and have a forever relationship with him and abundant life today. That's the great news of being born again. Don't understand it sociologically. Oh yeah, I've heard about those born agains. Like that friend said to me all those years ago. No, take it for what Jesus meant to experience a new birth with God, to become his child forever and ever. What a great, great opportunity. So so.
S7: So do they need to do anything? Well, I should say too, on our website. Um, if you.
S1: Go, they don't have to. No one has to do anything. It's not a deed, okay? It's a trust. You trust when you sit in a chair, you trust that the chair is going to hold you, right? You don't look at it and check out the legs or anything like that. You trust it? Well, that's what we have to trust. That believing. Trusting in Jesus. It says a good way of thinking of it is receive him. Receive him into our lives. Uh, the reason I say that's a good way of looking at it. It says as many as received him in John one. As many as received him. To them he gave the right to become children of God, even those who believed on his name and all he is so believing that he died for us and rose again. Trust that. And that's all. Uh, and there is a place where you can see this kind of laid out, uh, near our website. Right. Isn't that what you're going to refer to right now?
S7: It was. Yeah. If you go to Open Line radio.org on the top right corner, there are some words that say Know Christ and you can click on that. Um, and it takes you to a website, our website that says how to know Christ. And it kind of walks through this. What does knowing Jesus mean? There's a video, a short video from doctor Mark Jobe, who's the president of Moody Bible Institute, and then goes over, if you are a visual person and you want to read the verses, they're linked and they're written out on this website. Um, some of what Michael was just talking about. Yeah. And then there's a list if you want to request, uh, let us know and request, um, some free resources from us.
S8: Yep.
S1: Uh, I'm going to we're going to go to break now. Yeah. But listen, don't don't wait. Put your trust in him. Just tell him I know I've done things wrong. I believe Jesus died for those wrong things and was raised again. And I trust in him. Don't miss the opportunity. Take it now. We're going to be back with more of your questions in just a bit. That was Tricia McMillan, and I'm Michael Radonich. We'll be right back. Welcome back to Open Line. I want to remind everyone that we've got the summit opposing anti-Semitism coming up next Saturday. We have a special program with some interviews of people participating in the program for next Saturday. Please be sure to join us if you can. November 9th. The best way to find out about it to join us here at Moody is go to Open Line radio.org. There's a link there. Uh, click on that and you can find all about that very important, uh, one day conference that we're doing at Moody Bible Institute. Next Saturday, November 9th, we're going to speak with Celeste in Naples, Florida, listening on Spotify. Welcome to Open Line. Celeste, how can I help you today?
S9: Good morning.
S10: Good morning. How are you?
S1: We're great. Go ahead. We're sort of in in the rapid fire question time. So just go ahead with your question.
S10: Um, I as I mature and I start to go to many funerals and I'm planning for my funeral, I'd like to know what the Bible says about cremation because I'm thinking about doing that.
S1: Okay. A lot of people are interested in cremation now because it is a cheaper way of of dealing with death, in a sense, physical death. Uh, on the one hand, there's nothing in the Bible that says, no, you can't. Uh, so I don't think there's any problem. I think God can raise us up from ashes. He doesn't need us to decompose only, uh, so that's that's, uh, God can resurrect us. On the other hand, in the Bible, there's never been a case where someone was cremated that it wasn't to emphasize sort of disapproval by God. It was never the normal way of dealing with it. But that's just an example in the Bible. So I personally prefer burial, but that's because the Bible never really, uh, uses, uh, cremation as a means of affirming someone's life. I want to honor the body. It was a holy vessel, uh, that that carried the eternal spirit. That's how I understand it. Hope that helps, Celeste. Thank you. Uh, we're going to speak to John in the lightning round now. John, just go ahead with your question, okay?
S9: Hey.
S11: Good morning. My question is, what is the role and activities of the Holy Spirit in eternity?
S1: The Bible really doesn't talk about it. So it's really hard for me to say what, you know, when we talk about the new heavens and new earth, it doesn't talk about what the Holy Spirit's role will be. I'm sure he will have one, But it's not revealed. And so I'm just going to wait and see. Okay, John.
S11: Well, maybe I'll cancel next Sunday's Sunday school class then. Just have a party.
S12: I think. Hey, listen.
S1: I don't think we party enough. That's what I think. That's what I think.
S12: Okay. Well. Thank you. Thanks.
S1: Yeah. Thanks for your call, John. Appreciate it. We're going to speak with Don listening in Florida and R'n'B. Welcome to Open Line. Don. How can I help you today?
S13: Oh, Doctor Rydell, we're having an issue with Ephesians 289. For by grace are you saved through faith? Well, some people are saying, well, it's not just faith, it's faith plus repentance. How would I respond to that?
S12: Well.
S1: Uh, repentance is, uh, in one there's one word that's used, uh, for repentance. Uh, that means change your mind. And so, for example, in Acts three. When Jesus talks. When Peter talks to a Jewish crowd, he tells them that Jesus is both Lord and Messiah and and they rejected him. But they should repent, change their mind. In other words, stop trusting in what they were trusting in and start trusting in Jesus. Change their mind about Jesus. So that's what it is. And uh, in a sense, repentance and faith are two sides of the same coin. On the one hand, uh, it's turning away from what we used to trust and turning to the one we do trust. That's what the role of repentance and faith is. Uh, so it's two sides of the same coin. It's turning away and turning to. That's another word that's used for repentance is turn. And I, I think that one of the best passages that teach about that turn from and turn to uh, which is what repentance and faith is, is in first Thessalonians chapter one, when Paul commends the Thessalonians, he says, uh, for they themselves report that's the Macedonians and AK in every place. Therefore we don't need to say anything, for they themselves report what kind of reception we had from you, the Thessalonians, how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, and wait for his son from heaven. What did they do? They turned away from idols, and they turned to service to God, to trust in God and follow the true God. They trusted in Jesus, uh, whom he raised from the dead, Jesus who rescues us from the coming wrath. So on the one hand, uh, repentance is turning away from that, that old life and turning to a new life. Uh, okay, Susie, thanks for your call. Don. Susie. You're up. Ask your question really fast. Okay.
S14: Doctor Melnick, thank you very much. In the new heaven and the new earth, are the Christians kept in heaven and the Gentiles in heaven and the Israelites on earth?
S1: I don't think that's true. I think the new heaven and the new earth is just another way of saying it's a new creation, that there's going to be a new creation, not a heaven where some people go and an earth where other people go. It's an entire new creation. Think about how the Bible begins. In the beginning, God created what the heavens and the earth and then what he's going to do. Revelation 21 and 22. He's going to make a new heavens and a new earth. A new creation. And whether we're Jewish or Gentile, we'll all get to be part of that new creation. It says at that time his servants will serve him and TJ, just so you know. Uh, uh, thanks for your call, Susie. TJ, I know you want to know about a Bible study about Exodus. James Hoffmeier produced Israel in Exodus. You can find that book. Uh, well, that's the program for the week. Thanks for listening, everyone. Especially thanks. If you called or wrote in, you make this program possible thanks to the Open Line team today, Tricia McMillan, Omar Mendoza, Tahira and Tiara, both of them. Keep in touch with us by going to our website. You can see everything you're looking for right there at Open Line radio.org, even the link to the upcoming summit opposing anti-Semitism. Keep reading the Bible. We'll talk about it next week. Open line with Doctor Michael Wright is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute. See you next Saturday.