S1: Hi friend, thanks so much for downloading this broadcast and it is my hope that you'll hear something that will challenge you, grow you up in him, and get you out into the marketplace of ideas. But before you start listening, let me take a moment and tell you what this month's truth tool is. It's the Mediterranean Sea Rules by Robert Morgan. I talked to him often on the air because he's such a superb writer, and in this particular book, he takes the story of Paul's shipwreck, recorded in the book of acts, and gives us ten principles of how we push through the storm, learning to trust in God and all that he has done for us. It's a magnificent book. It's a short book, and in typical Robert Morgan writing style, it is a powerful book. I strongly recommend that you have a copy of The Mediterranean Sea Rules, because trust me, every single one of us will find ourselves on stormy seas at some point in our voyage through life. As for your copy of the Mediterranean Sea Rules by calling 877 58, that's 877 Janet 58 or go online to in the market with Janet Parshall. Scroll to the bottom of the page. There's the book. Click it on, Make Your Gift and we'll send you a copy. My way of saying thank you because we are listener supported radio. Your gifts keep this broadcast on the air. By the way, if you'd like to give regularly, you're called a partial partner. You give every single month a level of your own choosing. You always get the truth tool. But in addition, I'll send out a weekly newsletter that only my partial partners get. It contains my writing and a little audio piece as well. So pray about it and thanks in advance. Just call eight 7758 or online at in the Market with Janet Parshall. Again the truth tool the Mediterranean Sea rules. Thanks so much. And now please enjoy the broadcast. Hi friends. This is Janet. Partial. Thanks so much for choosing to spend the next hour with us. Today's program is prerecorded so our phone lines are not open. But thanks so much for being with us and enjoy the broadcast.
S2: Here are some of the news headlines we're watching.
S3: The conference was over. The president won a pledge.
S4: Americans worshiping government over God.
S3: Extremely rare safety move by a major 17 years.
S5: The Palestinians and Israelis negotiated.
S6: This idea is not.
S7: Can you define socialism? Socialism. Can you define socialism?
S8: Can I define socialism? Probably not. If I'm being totally honest.
S9: Socialism. Oh, boy. I don't think I can.
S8: Like Social Security. Roads. Medicaid. Depending on the form that it takes. Um, anything that sort of come together in publicly funded and through our government would be socialism. Um, I might be wrong. So if you make me look like a fool on the news, I'll forgive you for it.
S1: What is socialism? That was CNN asking some people on the street. And if people can't even answer the question, then how does this idea get legs and walk all over a country again? And why are more and more people thinking that socialism is a good idea? I spent part of the last couple of days studying a man who was murdered by communists, which is, by the way, the follow up to socialism because he dared to expose what was going on under Stalin with multiple millions of lives that were lost while they were telling the world everything was great. We'll talk someday about the connection between George Orwell's Animal Farm and what was going on under the Stalin regime, but I digress. Now it's socialism, and since we can't even define it, why are more and more people raising the idea that Jesus himself was a socialist? By the way, when all else fails, read the instructions, the Word of God, and you'll find out the answer to that question. But today we're going to spend the entire hour talking about this question Was Jesus a socialist? We're going to talk to Lawrence Reed. I am thrilled that I get to spend the hour with him. He is president emeritus of the Foundation for Economic Education. He's a former professor of economics. He's the author or editor of several other books, including Excuse Me, Professor Challenging the Myths of Progressivism and Real Heroes Inspiring True Stories of Courage, Character, and Conviction. And you know, he's one of the good guys because he got his, uh, a special award, an alumni achievement award from his alma mater, Grove City College, one of the best in America. So, Lawrence, what a joy to have you with us. And I want to thank you, first of all, for the gift of your time. I can't repay you in time. I so appreciate your giving it to us, and your book is so timely and so important. Your book is called Was Jesus a Socialist? Why? This question is being asked again and why? The answer is almost always wrong. With your background in economics and someone who understands who Jesus is as revealed in His Word, this is going to be a fascinating conversation, but I think I need to start where CNN did, and that is a working definition of socialism. How do you, particularly as a prof of economics, how do you define it?
S10: Well, Janet, let me begin by saying thank you for having me and for that very kind introduction and the kind words about Grove City College. Uh, I have a great fondness for the college that I attended, uh, what, half a century ago. Um, but socialism, you're right, is, um, sometimes hard to nail down, in part because even many socialists don't have a hard and fast definition of it. They'll often say, well, here it is over here, uh, when some new regime comes into power, and then later when it flops, uh, they say, well, that wasn't quite it. We'll try better. We'll do better the next time. But I'll give you a hard and fast definition of it. Socialism is the concentration of power in government for the purpose of achieving 1 or 2 or all three of these objectives. One of them is the central planning of the economy. Another is the coercive redistribution of wealth. And the third is government ownership of the means of production. Uh, socialists end up doing some of all three. And the more of those things they do, the more we lose our liberties.
S1: So then it raises an important question, which is when you look at those things, at first blush, even if you slept through high school civics, this is so antithetical to the principles that define this country that we want less government, not more. But I was thinking when you were giving that definition, it raises an interesting allow me to do what my mom used to call some spider thinking here for a minute. It makes me want to go back and sit in like a fly on the wall. On some of the conversation with the founders. This idea, by the way, of central planning of the economy. Wasn't that Hamilton's approach, by the way.
S10: To a great degree, although I think he would be horrified at how far even the United States has gone down that path. But among the founders, he was the more interventionist in the sense that he wanted a central bank. He wanted, uh, corporate welfare. He wanted more power at the center in Washington than men like Jefferson or Madison certainly wanted. of them.
S1: So again, it's an old argument because we're looking for systems that serve the people the best. And so when you talk about those things that really just a precursory reader tell you that they're really antithetical to the principles of a free market of equal opportunity, not necessarily guaranteed equal outcome. Why has this specter raised its head again?
S10: I think a number of reasons. One, a lot of it is coming from academia. Uh, and uh, that goes back, I think, to the radicals of the 60s and 70s, uh, who are now, in many cases, professors at universities, where quite often they have tenure. So they're protected from, uh, market realities and where they can spout nonsense and, and get a hearing. And of course, they're teaching young people who, uh, by almost by definition, a young person in their late teens, early 20s tend they tend to be idealistic. Uh, they, uh, are, you know, very interested in being compassionate and helping people and so forth. And they're told by these professors that, well, that's what socialism is all about. It's helping, it's caring, it's compassion. It's doing good things for people and maybe even giving them free stuff. Uh, it's with a little life experience and a little economic understanding that later some of those young people will fortunately see the light and realize that what their professors told them was maybe the, uh, the velvet glove. They didn't tell them about what's inside, which is the Iron Fist.
S1: Yeah. Wow. Is that well said? But when you ticked off some of those things that those professors teach in their tenured positions, you can see how even if you have just a thin understanding of who Jesus was, you can think, well, isn't that what he did? Isn't that who he was? Let me take a break. And when we come back, uh, there's so many questions in your excellent book, was Jesus a Socialist? Why this question is being asked again, and why? The answer is almost always wrong. By the way, I want to give you a chance to ask questions as well. 87754836758775483675. Learning to discern. Understanding the times in which we live. Being able to answer winsomely this exact question was Jesus a socialist? Is that what the scriptures teach? True or false? We're going to find out with Lawrence. Read more after this. When the storms of life hit with hurricane force, how do you respond? This month's truth tool is the Mediterranean Sea Rules, where Robert Morgan writes how God will redeem our tragedies for his purposes. Don't just survive the storms. Learn to serve God in the midst of them. As for your copy of the Mediterranean Sea Rules, when you give a gift of any amount in the market, call 87758. That's 877 Janet 58 or go to in the market with Janet Parshall.
S11: Socialism to me is.
S12: Freedom a democratic economy.
S13: A social justice.
S12: Liberty council so well debt a system run by the people for the people.
S14: Freedom. It's oriented towards human need. Living in a world where there's no racism.
S15: And intonations.
S14: Sustainability.
S12: Justice.
S16: A non-alienated form of labor.
S17: You've got a purpose in life. No war.
S12: Solidarity, occupy your workplace.
S13: Character, people.
S12: Emancipation.
S11: Collective ownership of the means of production.
S17: No alienation.
S16: Freedom to be able to be a creative individual.
S12: To have a sustainable planet.
S11: Equality between genders, races, Liberty. People before profit.
S14: No. Sexism. No. Homophobia.
S12: Harmony. Solidarity.
S14: Liberation.
S12: Mobilization.
S14: Agency.
S11: Revolution is the next step.
S16: A place where people can make friends, throwing off individuality and becoming a collective.
S17: And you meet the best people in the world.
S12: Unity.
S15: Human liberation.
S12: Queer liberation, workers control. Not having to spend eight hours a day, five days a week selling my soul utopia.
S1: I mean, who would be opposed to socialism, right? It's also probably why, in a 2019 survey, more than 70% of millennials said that they would likely vote for a socialist. Which puts an interesting question on the table for Christ's followers. Was Jesus a socialist? That's the new book by Lawrence Reid, who's president emeritus of the Foundation for Economic Education. Thousands of articles give speeches literally around the world, and he's the author of this important book. Larry, what we just heard that if that truly is what people perceive socialism to be, it would be heaven on earth. It would be utopia. But were there definitions really accurate based on what you just said about one or all three of the points enumerated in our first segment?
S10: No, I don't think so. And the nub of it is this Janet. They fail to point out that the very essence of socialism requires the use of force. If you simply listen to the agendas of socialist candidates or socialist policy writers. It's not a laundry list of helpful suggestions for the comment box. What they propose over and over again, are compulsory, coercive programs, because they think that what they have in mind for you and your money is better than what you have in mind for you and your money. I mean, they talk about when they try to sell socialism, they talk in the bumper sticker language of compassion and caring and so forth. But you can do that under capitalism. In fact, I would argue there's a lot more caring and sharing and giving, uh, under capitalism than there is under socialism. You even see that between governments. Where does what's the flow of foreign aid? It goes from, uh, governments of largely capitalist countries to governments of largely socialist countries that always need to be bailed out. So the difference between, say, capitalism or free markets and socialism ultimately, is that under socialism, government has got a gun to your head. Everything it wants to do will be done not as a helpful suggestion, but as a compulsory coercive program.
S1: So forgive the sort of pedantic nature of this question, but there's a certain amount of hubris to that. What makes government think it's got all of the answers? Government is me. And so why would this select group say we know better than you? There's an arrogance to that.
S10: Oh, yeah. An arrogance and an absence of an understanding about the essence of power, which Lord Acton warned us, um, 150 years ago was, uh, corrupting at its very essence. It's a failure to understand even the track record of big government. I mean, if I showed up at your house and said when you came to the door, hey, I'd like to, uh, take charge of your life. And by the way, I should tell you that I'm already up to my eyeballs in debt and everything I touch turns to garbage. Uh, nothing that I, uh, try to do is ever accomplished very well or very cost effectively, but nonetheless put me in charge of your life. You'd laugh at me. And yet, that's what socialists are advocating every day.
S1: So what is the elixir? Or if I can mix my metaphors, what's the siren song here? When they did The Man on the Street and ask those people from Down Under what they thought of socialism. Almost all of them talked about the fact that they didn't have to sell their soul. They didn't have to work 9 to 5, that it was the implied, although the word wasn't used was basically free stuff. Who doesn't want free stuff?
S10: Yeah, well, that's another way of saying whether they would admit it or not, that what they're after is not having to serve others by offering them something of value in the marketplace. They just want a third party, the government, to take from other people and give to them. Um, when you say sold my soul, in terms of selling your labor and being employed by a private employer. What you're simply doing is you're engaging in a mutually beneficial collaborative arrangement, which results in the production of valuable goods and services that people will willingly trade with you for. And that's what we want in a free and peaceful society, not a place where the government says, don't worry, we're just going to take it from somebody and hand it over to you.
S1: Yeah. Wow. So well said. This is a problem, I think particularly in the church capital C universal. And that is we have a split opinion on whether or not work. And we can't talk about economics without talking about work, whether work is a blessing or whether it's a curse. And Jesus had an awful lot to say about providing for your household. So let me start with that. That primary question first, which is do I view work as a blessing, or do I view work as a burden? What's God's position on this?
S10: Well, I think God's position is that work is a blessing, especially when you are utilizing the talents that he gave you when you're using your mind. And when the end product is something that other people will say, hey, I'd like to have that. Can I offer you something in return for it? I mean, that's a very fulfilling, uh, endeavor. And, you know, in the world in which we live, what's the alternative to work if we just sit around and nobody works, there's nothing to redistribute. And so we'd all starve. So it's a necessity as well as a blessing.
S1: Yeah, absolutely. So we read in the scriptures that a workman is worth his hire. Jesus talks about the parable of the talents. Uh, here's another problem. And I find it particularly generational, which is somewhere along the line. We got the idea that wealth is anathema, particularly for Christians. I don't know if we credit the movie Wall Street with that more than what we read in scriptures, but does Jesus think that wealth is a bad thing? I mean, we go to the parable of the rich man and we think, oh, it must be awful because, hey, nobody's going to go through the eye of a needle, so it's got to be bad stuff.
S10: Yeah. The passage referring to the difficulty for the rich to go through or get to heaven as being as difficult as it is for a camel to go through the eye of a needle. That's often cited by socialists, but they missed the point. Jesus is saying, not that riches per se are evil and that you shouldn't aspire to them, but that they come with temptations and a good person of solid character will not let the wealth govern him or change his priorities.
S3: Wow.
S1: Fascinating conversation built around what I think is absolutely important, reading right from the headlines. But boy, when you walk into the marketplace of ideas, you're going to hear this Jesus is a socialist. You know, I actually debated and an interesting event in Washington, D.C., a man who had made a movie called Jesus Was a communism. My job was to disprove that if you go to the marketplace, would you know how to do that back after this?
S18: What is socialism? A trending hashtag on Twitter called Socialism Checklist tried to answer that question, but let's look at it more closely. Socialism is government, government centric, government heavy, government in control. But how does this affect us? Well, socialism is government telling you what to do. Socialism is government giving your money to others. Socialism is government bossing you around about your health care choices. Socialism is more government, less freedom, more bureaucracy, less liberty, more spending, less money for you, more bills, less health care. Socialism can't keep us safe. It can't provide for us more than temporarily. It can't help us succeed. Socialism isn't free stuff either. No matter what you hear, there's no such thing as free stuff. Somebody has to pay for it and that somebody is always us. Politicians will promise that socialism will make the playing field fair. It won't. It'll just take away our opportunity, everybody's opportunity to succeed, to win. Politicians promise socialism will take care of us. It won't. As Margaret Thatcher once said, the problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money. Socialism is a fake, a fraud, a farce. It's an altruistically based notion that amounts to nothing more than government taking control of our lives. It's been tried in Cuba, in Russia, in Greece. So what is socialism? It's always unequivocally against our nature as human beings. It's a disaster. It's an utter devastating failure.
S1: And yet some people think that Jesus was a socialist, which is why Lawrence Reid, professor emeritus of the Foundation for Economic Education, prolific author of both books and articles, has written the book Was Jesus a Socialist? Why this question is being asked again and why? The answer is almost always wrong. Larry, I was thinking, just for clarification, because I used the word communism just before the break. What is the linkage between socialism and communism?
S10: Well, there are two peas in the same pod, essentially. Janet. And the distinction, to the extent there is one, depends a lot on whose usage of the terms you are referring to. If you go back to Karl Marx, the godfather of both socialism and communism, he did draw a distinction. He said that communism would be the end result of the evolution of history. And in that final phase, as if he was some kind of a fortune teller, you'd actually have government withering away, and everybody would voluntarily share and share alike. And on the way to that, you'd have to pass, he said, through the phase of socialism, which he described as the dictatorship of the proletariat. And during that phase, the government would be all powerful, and it would stomp on people until it wiped out any remaining vestige of things like self-interest and the profit motive and private property. But the very notion that communism would involve government withering away is one of the dumbest things that Marx ever came up with. I mean, can you imagine a group of people who have total power in their hands, total government. And that some some point they just say, okay, we're done, we're out of here. See you later. I mean, that just never happens and it's not going to happen. Uh, in actual practice these days, there's not a whole lot of distinction. Socialism. Uh, you know, a lot of socialists like to say, well, we're not there yet. We're working on communism. But socialism in the meantime will help us get there. But it all ends up in the same, same government at the top, controlling everybody approach to life.
S1: I'm so glad you said that. That's important for clarification. So one more term, because these are things our friends all across the country hear on a regular basis. Is there a distinction to be found in the words democratic socialist?
S10: Uh, I don't think so. That's, uh, sort of, uh, lip gloss on the on the pig. Uh, a lot of socials these days realize that if they if they advocate what socialism ultimately ends up meaning, they're not going to get many adherents. So they say. Oh, no. What we mean is going to be arrived at by democracy, by a vote. Well, that doesn't sanctify it. I mean, any more than, uh, you know, the southern states once had Jim Crow laws enacted democratically. Slavery was once legal. Uh, Democratic, uh, is just a veneer. Uh, but in the end, it results in nothing more than a concentrated use of political force.
S1: Mhm. Well (877) 548-3675. Vicky, you're in Wisconsin. I thank you so much for joining us. And your question please Vicky are you there. We're going to come back to Vicky in a little bit. Let me continue if I can. I asked you before about Jesus talking about the rich man. And there's a takeaway, Larry, in that, that some people think, well, somehow richness is anathema to God, that, uh, you know, you talk about taking vows of poverty, that somehow being impoverished is a more holy, if I can put it that way, uh, position to be in and that wealth is to be abhorred. How do we answer that?
S10: Well, the very notion that Jesus would ever say that whether or not you can be saved, whether or not you get to heaven, depends upon how much money you have or how little money you have flouts the very essence of Christianity, which is something from the heart. It's a personal choice to accept Christ as a Savior. It's not, you know, how much material wealth you've accumulated in this world. Jesus many times warned that with wealth comes temptations. But he never said that no human can overcome them, or that a human cannot be a good Christian who's accepted him as their Savior and also be very productive in the marketplace. Remember, he drove money changers from the temple. He never drove them from a marketplace or a bank.
S1: That's an excellent response, by the way. I want my friends to know that later today I'm going to be posting on my Facebook page. Make sure you hear this. Not my website and my Facebook page. Uh, Lawrence reads superb encapsulation on this question. Was Jesus a socialist that he did for Prager University? Prager University puts out some really powerful videos. Do I know that they're good? Yes. I'll tell you why. Because every time we turn around, Facebook is trying to shut him down. Do I need to say anything else? But Larry did a superb one on this question. Was Jesus a socialist? I'm going to make that easy for you to find by putting it on my Facebook in the market with Janet Parshall. That's the Facebook address. Like it there. We're going to come back more on this conversation with Lawrence Reed on his book, Was Jesus a Socialist after this? Friends, this is Janet Parshall, and I want to take a moment to remind you that today's program is prerecorded so our phone lines aren't open. But I sure do appreciate your spending the hour with us. And thanks so much and enjoy the rest of the program. We live in a culture that's infatuated with the latest fads, but Ephesians 415 calls for us to be stable, no longer infants, Paul said, tossed about by the waves and carried about by every wind of teaching on in the market. We're exposing current trends and finding our balance by standing on the solid foundation of God's Word. To get exclusive behind the scenes information and benefits, become a partial partner. Call eight 7758 or go online to in the market with Janet Parshall.
S19: When you see around the globe the mal distribution of wealth, the the desperate plight of millions of people in underdeveloped countries. When you see so few haves and so many have nots, when you when you see the greed and the concentration of power within, aren't you ever did you ever have a moment of doubt about capitalism and whether greed's a good idea to run on.
S20: Well, first of all, tell me, is there some society you know that doesn't run on greed? Do you think Russia doesn't run on greed? You think China doesn't run on greed? What is greed? Of course none of us are greedy. It's only the other fellow who's greedy. This. The world runs on individuals pursuing their separate interests. The great achievements of civilization have not come from government bureaus. Einstein didn't construct his theory under order from a from a bureaucrat. Henry Ford didn't revolutionize the automobile industry that way. In the only cases in which the masses have escaped from the kind of grinding poverty you're talking about, the only cases in recorded history are where they have had capitalism and largely free trade. If you want to know where the masses are worse, worse off, worse off. It's exactly in the kinds of societies that depart from that, so that the record of history is absolutely crystal clear that there is no alternative way, so far discovered, of improving the lot of the ordinary people that can hold a candle to the productive activities that are unleashed by a free enterprise system.
S19: It seems to reward not virtue as much as ability to manipulate the system.
S20: And what does reward virtue? You think the Communist commissar rewards virtue? Do you think a Hitler rewards virtue? Do you think? Excuse me, if you'll pardon me. Do you think American presidents reward virtue? Do they choose their appointees on the basis of the virtue of the people appointed, or on the basis of their political clout? Is it really true that political self-interest is nobler somehow than economic self-interest? You know, I think you're taking a lot of things for granted. And just tell me where in the world you find these angels who are going to organize society for us. Well, I don't even trust you to do that.
S1: I think Milton Friedman got the best of Phil Donahue in that little repartee. Lawrence Reed is with us. Absolutely fascinating book in my classroom. It should be required reading the book is entitled Was Jesus a Socialist? Why this question is being asked again and why? The answer is almost always wrong. Larry, by the way, is president emeritus of the Foundation for Economic Education, the author of several books, thousands of articles, and literally travels the world giving speeches. There's something inherent in that repartee between the two that I want to pull out. And that's this idea that Donahue posits that somehow it's the haves and the have nots. You write about this in the book and you call it the gospel of envy, that somehow everybody straight across the board should be guaranteed an equal outcome. Understanding the basics and nature of man. Even if I got what my neighbor got, I'd still want more. That's just the way it is. But isn't this also implied in the Ten Commandments? If I'm not supposed to covet my neighbor's goods? Isn't that a part of this as well?
S10: Oh, it sure is, Janet. The eighth of the 10th commandments. Ten commandments. Uh, very explicitly says thou shalt not covet. Uh. Or thou shalt not steal is the eighth. I'm sorry. The 10th is. Thou shalt not covet. I'd like to think that maybe, uh, as God put those things together to hand to Moses, he may have thought by the time he got to number ten. Uh, even though I've already said thou shalt not steal, some people are still going to look for reasons to do it, and they'll usually envy and covet first. So I better add another one. And that, perhaps, is how number ten got there. Thou shalt not covet if it doesn't belong to you. Uh, don't, uh, you know, don't count the other guy's blessings. Count your own.
S1: Well, you know, I remember sitting in a meeting with Jack Kemp in DC years ago where he talked about the fact that really what we should be striving to do in this country is to create a level playing field of opportunity. But my ability to flourish is going to be incumbent upon what I do. My commitment to a work ethic. What I'm willing to sacrifice. What I'm willing to make my goals. I can't guarantee that from my neighbor, can I?
S10: No. Absolutely not. And each of us is a unique result of endless personal traits and qualities, as well as the environment in which we were raised. So you're never going to achieve perfect equality, not in a world of of very different people. In fact, we are so different that no two people who have ever lived on this planet have been precisely the same. The same person didn't live twice. In other words, uh, so, uh, to be fully who you were intended to be and who you are, you have to have considerable degree of choice over how you run your life. And inevitably, personal choice means some people are going to go in this direction, others are going to go in other directions. We're not going to end up being the same. I don't lament that. I rejoice in the differences that suggest we're being who each of us is meant to be. As unique, unique individual.
S1: Um, talk to me about Axe the Book of Acts, because I hear this cited often as look, there's an example of the early church using a social assistance socialistic system that they had equal distribution of wealth. Therefore, doesn't the Bible then undergird and support the concept of socialism? How do we respond?
S10: Yeah, you hear that a lot. Well, it's true that some of the early Christians, as recorded in the book of acts, did decide that they were going to sell a good portion of their possessions. Not everything, in fact, because even subsequent passages talk about them continuing to meet in their own home. So they didn't sell their homes. But, um, the fact is that that was peculiar to a unique moment in time. It was descriptive of a of a particular group of early Christians. There is no passage, no statement from Jesus himself that ever says to a broader audience, that's the way everybody should live for all time. And in fact, that very practice of putting everything in kind of a common storehouse and then dividing it up equally. That died out very early. That was a practice used for a very brief time, never intended to be practiced by all people of all time, and every time it is practiced, it falls apart.
S1: Yeah. Yes. And we have world history as our tutorial on all of this, which is so interesting. You talk about the convolution that can extrapolated out of the story of the Good Samaritan. Um, there's so much to that story, but seeing it as a way of somehow government controlled programs is not a takeaway I've ever had since I heard it the first time in Sunday school. Unpack that for us.
S10: Yeah, I know there are people. I hear it all the time who think the Good Samaritan story somehow makes a case, at least for the welfare state, that brand of of socialism. But keep in mind what happened in that story as told by Jesus himself. The Samaritan came along a road and came upon a man who was desperately in need. He'd been beaten and robbed. And what did the Samaritan do? He did not say to the man, well, why don't you contact your social worker? Or maybe there's a government program for you. See you later. What he did was. And this is what made him good, he chose to help the man of his own free will and from his own resources. If he had done any of those other things that socialists would normally advise, we wouldn't think of him today as the Good Samaritan. We'd think of him as the good for nothing Samaritan.
S1: And Larry, again, there's so many deep levels to this story, not the least of which is a story of racism. The Jews despise the Samaritans. It's not by happenstance. It seems to me that Jesus has the story that the good we put the good so often is the accent word, but for me the takeaway is the Samaritan. Nobody else would do this but these rotten Samaritans, which was a racial epithet used by the Jews. When they called somebody a horrible name, they would call them a Samaritan. They would bypass Samaria. That's why Jesus and John, for meeting the woman there, is so significant. He's tearing down so many boundaries. But it was a story of a man who was despised, representing a race of people despised by the Jews doing the right thing. Jesus was preparing the ground for the receptivity of the gospel, it seems to me.
S10: That's right. And, uh, there's also a passage immediately before the, uh, story talks about what the Samaritan did of two other people who came by. One was, uh, a kind of church bureaucrat, uh, or, uh, synagogue bureaucrat, a Levite. And the other one was a government bureaucrat. And, and you might say, well, surely those guys would have helped, but they didn't. It's the despised Samaritan who showed what he truly had in his heart when he chose of his own free will to help the man.
S1: Yeah. Excellent. You talked about government. You write about this in the book. And I'm so glad, because this is one of those passages that gets tortured ad nauseam. What did Jesus mean when he talked about rendering under Caesar that which is Caesar's, and unto God that which is God's?
S10: Well, he certainly didn't mean, as some socialists seem to think, that anything that Caesar claims, even if he wants everything, uh, is somehow his for the taking. Uh, that I mean, that would be absurd. It was a very clever response on the part of Jesus to the Pharisees who were trying to trick him. They held up a coin with the image of Augustus, the emperor. Uh, Roman emperor on the coin and wanted to know, what do we do with this? Or who does it belong to? They wanted to catch Jesus in the trap of advocating tax evasion, and instead Jesus said, render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's. And he didn't say it was Caesar's. He just said, if it was, well, then give it to him. But he left it for us to decide whether or not that really belongs to Caesar. It was a very clever response, and to assume from what Jesus said, that he was endorsing anything that Caesar would do with the money, no matter how he gets it or what he wastes it on or spends it on is absolutely absurd.
S1: Could not agree more. Wow. Larry, the book is excellent. Let me take a break and come back. The book is called Was Jesus a Socialist? Why? This question is being asked again and why? The why? The answer is almost always wrong. By the way, I have posted on my Facebook page now this multi-million viewed Prager University piece that Larry did. He answers the question. He does a superb job in a five minute video explaining exactly what socialism is. Watch it and then send it to somebody else. And let's get the word out there. This is an absolute convolution of Scripture, and it's a dangerous governmental paradigm if we really do care about other people. In fact, on that note, when we come back, what about Jesus? Was he a social justice warrior? We'll find out what Larry Reid has to say about that when we return.
S21: Here in the United States, we are alarmed by the new calls to adopt socialism in our country. America was founded on liberty and independence and not government coercion, domination and control. We are born free and we will stay free. Tonight we renew our resolve that America will never be a socialist country.
S1: As the president of the United States delivering a state of the Union address, talking about America's declaration that we will never be a socialist country. Lawrence Reid is with us, president emeritus of the Foundation for Economic Education. And the author of the book Was Jesus a Socialist? Larry, I have to tell you, I've saved this clip. I deem it to be historical audio because I felt like I got hit in the solar plexus. When in the world did we have to sit and hear a president make the declaration? We would not be socialist. If a president has to make that statement, then the tendril outreaches of this deadly doctrine have already infiltrated our country.
S10: Oh, yeah. In fact, I've written an article entitled A Virus Worse Than the One from Wuhan. And the virus I'm talking about is socialism. It's it's a it's a cancer.
S1: So it goes to this idea that Jesus was a social justice warrior. And you start this chapter by saying that there was an editorial, it was actually a headline written by a pastor in the Guardian that said Jesus was on the side of the poor and the exploited. Christian politicians should remember that we hear this again and again and again. And quite frankly, if you're biblically illiterate, you hear that and you think, I guess that's right, I think that's right. And you follow the Pied Piper, break this down for me, because I'm not quite sure that Jesus was interested in economic status as was as much as he was interested in heart conditions. So talk to me about this.
S10: Well, you're absolutely right on that, Janet. Jesus was no social justice warrior in the context of the way that word or that phrase is used today. Today, it's really not much more than a license for the government to rob Peter, to pay Paul, and sometimes even to punish people for the sins of ancestors five generations before. Jesus never advocated anything like that. He was in favor of each person getting his or her due. He was opposed to stealing. He warned against the concentration of power. He warned against the, uh, putting money as the priority in your life, ahead of loving God and things like that. But he didn't advocate the forcible redistribution of wealth, which is what social justice comes, has come to mean today. In fact, we have time. I could even cite a passage from the Bible in that regard.
S1: Please, Please.
S10: Well, I'm thinking of the book of Luke, chapter 12, verses 13 through 15. A man approaches Jesus and says, master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me. In other words, hey, how about a little social justice here? I don't think I got a fair shake. Why don't you equalize? Use your power to equalize the wealth here a little bit. And Jesus did not say anything like. Well, we'll take a look at it. Uh, or maybe. Yeah, you should get more at the other guy's expense. Instead he said, man, who made me a judge or divider over you? Take heed and beware of covetousness. I mean, can you imagine a socialist ever saying that they are trying to be judges and dividers over the rest of us all the time?
S1: Yeah, exactly. You make a profound statement that you say you've used for decades. In the book. You say free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. And you're not talking about equality before the law. Explain the statement to us.
S10: Yes, equality before the law is a is a great thing. The idea that the law should be impartial and should render judgment about innocence and guilt based on whether or not you did it, not skin color and things like that. But economic equality is a very different thing. The notion that you should possess the same material wealth as as other people. We are not the same one person to another. We're different in terms of the talents we have. We don't even all recognize what our respective highest or best talent is. At the same time in our lives, we're different in terms of our willingness to work. We're different. Different in terms of our willingness to save. I mean, if we equalized everybody tonight, materially speaking, we'd have inequality by noon tomorrow because some people would save it and some people would spend it. So this illusion that we can somehow use the government to force economic equality on us only produces disaster. It's anti-human nature, it's counterproductive, and it certainly isn't biblical.
S1: You cite two theologians who you say, got it right, and I would love to spend another hour talking about both, but let me go to one at least. And that's C.S. Lewis. What did he offer to this conversation?
S10: Oh my gosh, I love C.S. Lewis. C.S. Lewis, of course, didn't spend a lot of time in his thought and writing looking at government, but whenever he did, he was decisively, uh, insightful. He recognized that government is the concentration of power and that humans are flawed. We are, by definition, a fallen people. And the worst thing you want to do is to give a fallen people concentrated, uh, coercive political power the moment they get it. It corrupts them and even takes a good person and makes it very difficult for that person to remain good. It's a it's a cancer. And, uh, he felt that there was nothing biblical or scriptural about concentrating power in earthly politicians who are eager to run the lives of other people well.
S1: Concentrated power would be the story of the Tower of Babel, and we know how that ended. So. Obviously there is an opposition there. I have to ask this question, though, just simply watching cultural trends. Larry, from your vantage point, why has this this nefarious, insidious, dangerous and deadly idea? I can I could go on with the adjectives. Why has it found fertile soil in America today? What have we done as a nation that has given the idea that this is a good option?
S10: I think of over a hundred years ago, Janet, we slowly began to adopt a kind of moral relativism. We were, we were told by academics and intellectuals that truth is a relative thing. It depends on the person. Nothing is absolute, and we're burying the awful consequences of that.
S1: Yeah, I could not agree with you more. Oh, Larry, I could spend hours and hours. There's so much more in the book I didn't get a chance to cover. But I do hope I've done one thing, and that is to pique the interest of my listeners today to get this book and to be able to answer the question. You just heard me use a plethora of adjectives I could have gone on. This is dangerous. And then when you reconstruct a gospel of your own creation and subscribe to Jesus, the antithesis of who he was, he was anything but a socialist, then you not only have bad and economic opportunities for people by putting in a system that's deadly, but you also have horrible theology as well, and that's almost a triple headed hydra. The book is called Was Jesus a Socialist? Why? This question is being asked again, and why? The answer is almost always wrong. If you'll go to my Facebook page and the address there is in the market with Janet Parshall, like me, go to the Facebook page. And Larry did a superb piece for Prager University that asked the asked the question Was Jesus a socialist? And in this five minute video gives a superb response. I posted it on my Facebook page for your enjoyment. We'll see you next time, friends.