S1: With so many excavations over so many years in the Holy Land, you'd think that most or all of the significant discoveries have pretty much been uncovered, right? Not so. In fact, if I can mix metaphors for a moment, some would say all the digging up until now is just the tip of the iceberg. Well, today we're going to talk with a biblical archaeologist. What's it really like to dig in ancient lands? Find out as you join us now for the land and the book. Our host and guide is Doctor Charlie Dyer, who's hiking boots are always on, who's been to a number of excavations himself. He's traveled to Israel more than 100 times. I'm John Gager and you know Charlie Israel, of course. So much in the news this past year, the Bible jam packed with end times prophecies about epic world events, the regathering of the Jewish people to their ancient homeland, and of course, Jesus coming return. It is crucial for us as believers, though, to have a proper understanding of Bible prophecy so we can have a view of the future that's shaped by Scripture, not just today's headlines. Right?
S2: You're absolutely right, John. And with this in mind, our friends at Life and Messiah have published a book titled God, Israel and Bible Prophecy, and they're offering it to listeners of the land in the book for a limited time. This informative book is focused on providing readers with a deeper understanding and greater appreciation of what God has in store for Israel and the nations by digging into what the scriptures say about these issues. Now, if you're interested in learning more about what God has in store, visit Life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: And now a look at current events from the Middle East. It's more than three weeks since Ismail Ismael Haniya's assassination. And yet Iran's threatened response hasn't yet materialized. Nor has Hezbollah's promised attack. Charlie, have the two countries been dissuaded from responding, or are they just sort of biding their time?
S2: Well, yeah, they're just biding their time. We need to remember two concepts when trying to understand what motivates the leadership of Iran and Hezbollah are those two concepts are shame and honor. They felt shamed when Israel attacked and killed leaders under their protection. They now feel compelled to regain their honor by attacking Israel. Now, at the same time, the leadership in both countries are concerned about Israel's ability to launch devastating attacks against them, which could potentially cause them more shame and even threaten their holds on power. Now, add to that the military buildup from the United States. They aren't sure if we're as willing to assist Israel in launching retaliatory strikes, but they've brought in sufficient firepower that if we choose to do so, we could cause major damage. And that's probably the key reason they've held off responding so long. Now, they publicly tied the delay to the ceasefire negotiations between Israel and Hamas, a successful conclusion to those talks, which right now doesn't look that hopeful, could be used as an excuse to keep from launching an attack that would help restore their honor, at least partially. But that doesn't mean they won't attack Israel. They will continue looking for ways to attack, directly or indirectly. They know the US won't keep its forces in the region long term, so they might simply wait for us to withdraw before launching that direct attack. In the meantime, they're looking for other ways to hit back at Israel, including supporting Hamas's attempts to send suicide bombers into Israeli towns like the one who accidentally blew himself up this past week. Police in Argentina recently thwarted a planned terrorist attack on the Jewish community there back in 1994, Iran and Hezbollah bombed a Jewish community center in Argentina, killing 85. So they've done this before. And Hezbollah published a video showing a vast underground network of tunnels from which it can launch missiles against Israel. Now, all this to say, Israel remains on alert. They were surprised by Hamas on October 7th. They won't be surprised by Iran or by Hezbollah this time.
S1: Story number two the U.S., Egypt and Qatar continue working on ways to implement a ceasefire and hostage deal between Israel and Hamas, in spite of their optimism. Can the two sides really come to any final agreement?
S2: You know, John, for the sake of the hostages still alive, I hope a deal can be reached. Even this week, we saw information on a hostage that we had heard about while we were in Israel before, whose body has now been recovered. And that's sad. Israel accepted the bridging proposals that the U.S. has made, and unfortunately, Hamas has rejected them, which isn't a hopeful sign. Now, even if a deal were to be reached and that's a big if, there's no guarantee it will result in peace or in the return of all the hostages. Hamas didn't follow through completely on the last hostage deal, and the bridging proposal requires multiple stages to bring about a permanent cease fire, to get all the hostages home and to begin the process of rebuilding Gaza. And most of the pressure to compromise keeps being placed on Israel, not Hamas. I think we always need to remember that Hamas started this conflict, not Israel, and they're the ones opposing the attempts to end it. In this most recent round of negotiations, it seems the US has been overly optimistic, while Israel has been far more realistic. And unfortunately, Hamas keeps saying that any apparent progress is just an illusion and they're looking for any excuse to say no. Now I go back to the question asked by God in Amos three three. Can two walk together except they be agreed? You know, there's not much Israel and Hamas can agree on going forward. From its very founding, Hamas has been committed to the total destruction of Israel. That hasn't changed. Even if a ceasefire and hostage deal comes about. There's another issue that still has to be addressed. Who will run Gaza the day after hostilities cease? Hamas wants to remain in power, while Israel says they can't. And my point here is that even if Israel and Hamas could reach a deal, that's just the first step in a long process that still lies ahead. And that's a realistic assessment of what's happening right now.
S1: As you listen to this look at current events, I hope you appreciate all of the nuances that Charlie brings to our understanding of what's going on so complex, but we appreciate your keeping it in plain English. Charlie, we'll continue now with a recent report that says archaeologists found evidence of a lost temple in Chorazin linked to Jesus healing miracles. Charlie, for someone unfamiliar, where is Chorazin and how significant is this discovery?
S2: Yeah, and for those of us who've been there, we go. I know where that is. Chorazin is located about two miles north of Capernaum and just up the hillside. According to Matthew 11, it's one of the three cities where Jesus performed most of his miracles. However, none of the miracles Jesus did there are actually recorded in the Bible. That's not a problem, since John tells us Jesus performed many more miracles than what are recorded. Chorazin is a great spot to take people to talk about Jesus, and it's usually not very crowded. Now here's the problem though with this story, John. At least as it was reported, it's really not very accurate. In fact, it's rather misleading. First, there isn't a lost temple there. There are ruins of a Byzantine era synagogue, and recent excavations at the synagogue have uncovered what archeologists believe are the remains of the first century synagogue on the same spot, and that shouldn't be a surprise. The synagogue tourists see at Capernaum is also a Byzantine era structure built on the foundation of the synagogue there in the first century. The second problem with the story is that nothing significant has actually been discovered, certainly nothing directly connecting that synagogue to Jesus. Now the Bible tells us he taught in the synagogues in the region, and that he performed miracles in Chorazin. But nothing has been uncovered in this new excavation linking Jesus to the site. This is a case where someone, I think, is trying to hype an archaeological dig that really hasn't uncovered anything of significance, at least not yet. And to me, it's a good reminder to read more than just the headlines when you come across this type of story. I love Chorazin, but the headline for this story was Way Over the Top.
S1: Yeah, well, I love Chorazin too, and so don't let that dissuade you from visiting if you go to Israel. Right, Charlie?
S2: Oh, absolutely. It's a great spot to visit. Just don't look for some kind of a secret temple with Jesus name written on it.
S1: All right, well, artificial intelligence is speeding up the work of translating ancient inscriptions, including the Epic of Gilgamesh. What's the significance of this ancient work? And how is AI helping with its translation? Yeah.
S2: Now, this is the kind of story of advances in archaeology that won't always necessarily make the news, but that really is fascinating. First, the significance of the Epic of Gilgamesh. Back in 1872, an Assyriologist was studying ancient cuneiform tablets, and he came across a story that loosely parallels the biblical account of Noah and the flood. And the story's hero was a man named Gilgamesh. And that's where the title Epic of Gilgamesh comes from. The Bible preserves the true account of a worldwide flood, but it's no surprise that other civilizations preserved parallel accounts of the flood, though those other accounts, like the Epic of Gilgamesh, became corrupted as they were passed down from generation to generation. But now to. This story. Those other accounts are on clay tablets, some of which have never been translated. There are as many as half a million cuneiform tablets in museums around the world, and even more tablet fragments. And with so few experts in cuneiform, many have not even been read or published. And that's where the fragmentarium comes in. This is an AI project from the University of Munich that uses machine learning to piece together digitized tablet fragments at a much faster rate than what humans can do. The project has helped researchers discover new, previously unknown segments of the Gilgamesh epic and hundreds of words and lines from other works by speeding up the process. This project could help advance our understanding of ancient Mesopotamia. But if you really want to know what happened during the flood, don't go to the Epic of Gilgamesh. Stick with the Bible.
S1: I think I will. Thank you, Charlie. Hey, what's it like to be a real Archaeologists digging in the Holy Land. A look at biblical archaeology up close. Next on the land and the book. With so many excavations taking place over so many years in the Holy Land, you'd think most everything significant has been discovered, right? Not so. In fact, if I could mix metaphors for a minute here, some would say all the digging up until now is just kind of the tip of the iceberg. Hey, up next, a conversation with with a great biblical archaeologist you need to meet. Welcome to segment two of The Land and the book. And as you're putting on your sunscreen for today's exploration, let's pause for this insight on how to share your faith with a Jewish friend or relative or coworker. Maybe it's an next door neighbor. So you want to reach out to your Jewish friends, and you're starting by asking what sort of not so effective, maybe what's marginally effective. That's a question for Eva Rydell, who serves on staff with Chosen People Ministries in Chicago. What's what's only so-so with effectiveness, or maybe not working at all with Jewish people these days?
S3: I think one of the the roadblocks to communication is to tell a Jewish person, you need to become a Christian. Now, for us who understand the New Testament and what Jesus said, to become a Christian is a very positive thing for a Jewish person to say, let's call him Bob. Bob, I would really like for you to become a Christian. And when Bob, your Jewish friend, hears that what he's hearing you say is, Bob, I want you to stop being Jewish and start being a Gentile, because in the Jewish mind, Christian and Gentile are parallel. And here's a sad corollary to that. And the Jewish mind, so often Christian and anti-Semite are corollary. So to invite a person to leave their Jewish identity and all their heritage and become a member of a group which has historically persecuted Jewish people. This is not a step that a Jewish person wants to take. So I think the opening gambit of don't you want to be a Christian is the wrong move to make. In its.
S1: Place, we ought to invite them.
S4: To have.
S3: Faith in Messiah Jesus, to understand that they can have a personal relationship with the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob through the personal Messiah he sent the Lord Jesus.
S1: Eva Radulovic talks to us today and she serves on staff with Chosen People Ministries. Thanks for the encouragement. All right. Stephen Collins is a biblical archaeologist who has logged more than 25 excavation seasons in Israel and Jordan. He's director of the School of Archaeology at Veritas International University, and serves as consulting research professor in the College of Archaeology for Trinity Southwest University. Doctor Collins teaches Old and New Testament history, biblical languages, biblical interpretation, and Christian evidential apologetics. A welcome to the land and the book. Steven.
S5: Great to be with you, John.
S1: Well, I have to say right off the bat, this book of yours, the Harvest Handbook of Bible Lands, is absolutely gorgeous. Thank you for your work on it.
S5: Well, I appreciate that. That was something we got into that we had always wanted to do, kind of bring folks up to the latest archaeological discoveries and, and thoughts and, you know, ways to connect the ancient Near East with the Bible. And we hope people enjoy it.
S1: Well, this is obviously not the first book attempting to showcase the findings of biblical archaeology. So what made you guys want to do it?
S5: It allowed us to take what we've been working on for 35, 40 years, and to incorporate it into a single volume that could be helpful to people, and placing the Bible within its ancient Near Eastern context and understanding it in that way.
S1: Well, we're all familiar with Indiana Jones, of course, for good or bad. But why don't you share what a typical day is actually like for a real Archaeologist.
S5: Well, I suppose if you compare it to the movie, the real daily life of an archaeologist is pretty boring. Although I usually tell people say, well, you know, what's what's archaeology like? And sometimes I, I kind of jokingly tell them, well, you know, Indiana Jones, our life is way more exciting than that. But not, you know, archeology is a slow, meticulous, grinding process. It's expensive. It takes a lot of planning and logistics and, you know, you're working. You're working with trowels and dustpans and brushes and, you know, an occasional pick. But, you know, you're removing things very, very slowly and it takes years. Our, our excavations at Tal Hamam just wrapped up after after almost 20 years. So it's a it's a slow, slow process. And then it takes you 8 or 10 years to publish all your findings. So when you get involved in a big project, sometimes it can eat your life up.
S1: Sounds like you have to really have a vision for what you hope is there, and a tenacity to go with that vision. Fair enough.
S5: Oh, absolutely. And of course, in our particular case with talisman, it was working with the geography of the biblical text that brought us to that site to start with. So we had we had biblical expectations, you might say, going in. Yeah.
S1: Biblical archaeology. That's our focus today on the land and the book. I'm John Gager. Our guest, Stephen Collins, who has logged more than 25 excavation seasons. How long is a season? Stephen?
S5: Well, typically in a lot of sites that we've worked on, four weeks would be a season. So you have you have several days to ramp up, a few days to shut down at the end. So usually 4 to 5 weeks is about right. The seasons at our site in Jordan tall el-hammam were a little bit longer. They were typically 6 to 7 weeks long, and since we lost two years to Covid. Last year. We did a ten week season sort of double up and make up for lost time. But, um, you can only work in the field for so long. I mean, we have day jobs. We, you know, we teach, we write, and so you have to get back to what you're actually getting paid for. So being in the field is where we like to be.
S1: So this brings up another question. Who all pays for this then? You know you got a plane ticket, you got housing, you got food while you're there. How does that work?
S5: All of those expenses of staff expenses and hotel rooms and all those things have to be covered. It would typically cost us a quarter of $1 million per season. Wow. And so it's expensive. And in our case, we didn't get institutional money. But we have donors that are just part of what we do. And they've been with us for a long time and they fund us. So we're funded by private donations, mostly from Christian people. All right.
S1: What's the oldest archaeological item you've ever held in your hands or touched while digging.
S5: Oh, we have a lot of things we hold in our hands from our sight, because our sight is is a massive Bronze Age site. It's the largest Bronze Age site in the southern Levant. So we're typically holding items that are, you know, 5000, 6000 years old on a daily basis.
S1: How about the most amazing archaeological item that you've ever encountered? What would that be for you? We've talked about the oldest, but what about you went wow, wow, wow.
S5: Well, there's always a lot of that because I'm a pottery guy. I'm, you know, ceramics is one of my areas of expertise. And I love the pottery. I love the the painted pottery, all the finely made decorated stuff. And that's all wonderful. But but also, I love the architecture. I love big buildings, I love fortifications. And so when we find fortification ramparts that are 50ft at the base and and eight feet at the top and 100ft high, and walls that are palace walls at 2 or 3m thick, which is almost ten feet thick. So when you see the massive buildings, it's just incredible. It really helps you understand that these ancient people were highly technical builders. They understood what they wanted to do and how to do it, and their lives were not small. Many of these Canaanite kings lived lived life on a pretty big scale.
S1: Today, on the land and the book, we're talking with archaeologist Steven Collins. How is your own faith been bolstered not just by your own discoveries, but but those of other archaeologists?
S5: For me personally, I wouldn't say archaeology is a faith bolstering thing because, you know, my faith and trust in Jesus and belief that he he is God in the flesh and who he claims to be, comes from his historical physical demonstration of his resurrection from the dead. I mean, for me, that all focuses on on who he is and and what he accomplished through his resurrection, which is a provable historical event. But I like the illuminating power of archaeology to give us insight into how people lived. So when you talk about, for example, Abraham lit a lamp, or David lit a lamp, or Jesus talks about lamps, what are those lamps look like? What does that world look like? If they ate a meal, what does that plate or bowl look like? And so these are the simple things that I like that just show how people lived. And of course, we dig up what they ate and how they cooked it and what kind of ovens they had. So it's really a comprehensive look at what kind of world they lived in.
S1: Yeah, I'm glad you mentioned that. You know, before going to Israel, my idea of an oil lamp, as in, you know, you had the ten virgins or whatever, you know, these, these oil lamps in Scripture. I thought of it as something like, uh, you know, an Aladdin's lamp, something maybe the size of a football. But these oil lamps typically are very small, just a few inches long. That kind of blew my mind.
S5: Yeah, they are very small and in each period they look very different. So the the lamp when King David said, thy word is a lamp unto my feet. That lamp doesn't look anything about, like the lamp that Jesus was talking about when he talked about, don't hide your lamp under a basket.
S1: Then what are the differences? How are they different?
S5: Well, earlier lamps going all the way back to Abraham's time. They're simply bowls. They're small bowls that they would hang a flax wick over the side of and have olive oil in it. And a tablespoon of olive oil gets you about 7 or 8 hours of light. And so they worked really well. And then they eventually kind of began to squeeze that bowl a little bit on one side and make a spout out of it. And those became the spouted bowl lamps that are common in King David's time. And those kind of lamps go all the way down until the conquering of the area by Alexander the Great. And then you get the Greek style lamp introduced, which was very similar to what the Romans eventually did in the time of Jesus. So the Herodian lamp, that New Testament period lamp that Jesus would have used, and all the Jewish communities would have used, is very small and very simple and very unlike what King David, that open bowl that King David used because Jesus's time, the lamps are closed so they don't spill as easy, let's say.
S1: When excavating in Israel, you're working in a region that has plenty of enthusiasm for Old Testament discoveries, but maybe not so much interest in the New Testament. How does that manifest itself in getting access to these sites in paperwork and clearances, or is that a non-factor?
S5: It's really kind of a non-factor. All of us in archaeology more or less specialize, you know, either in the classical period, say, Roman times, you know, Greco-Roman times, or in my case, the Bronze Age. I mean, I love the Bronze Age. I like being back there in the Torah times, times of Moses and Joshua, and even before that, with the patriarchs. That's my my love. But everybody has their favorite period. And I think for me, that's that's got to be the Bronze Age.
S1: Stephen Collins has co-authored the Harvest Handbook of Bible Lands, a large format, beautiful, lots of full color pictures in it. Encourage you to check it out. You know, in many places, politics plays a role, often hindering the work of biblical archaeologists. You see, the playing field is fairly level these days. Or will archaeologists have an increasingly difficult time accessing sites in days ahead?
S5: That's a great question. Um. It fluctuates. Even though we would think that the Israeli archaeologists are more respective of the biblical historicity. Um, that's not always true. In fact, so many of the Israeli archaeologists that we know and work with don't really believe that Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses and Joshua were real people. And so it's very secular. It's a very secular liberal, often atheistic, discipline. And what was interesting about that is working in Jordan as long as I have, I always tell my Jordanian colleagues, you guys are more biblically conservative than the Israelis on the other side of the river. And that's generally true because, you know, they have everybody from Abraham to Jesus as one of their own prophets. So you just can't categorically dismiss all of that history. And so believing the Bible and working with biblical texts and finding biblical sites is pretty comfortable thing to do in Jordan, simply because there is a lot of respect amongst the Jordanians about these biblical characters that are also shared by the Islamic tradition.
S1: What about the future? Do we have enough interest in archaeology to the point that there are going to be trained people to do the work?
S5: Well, at Veritas International University School of Archaeology, we have the largest stable of master's Masters and doctoral students in archaeology. We have a stable of over 50. If you add Tsu in that we work with a stable of over 100 students. And so these are 100 people that are training. These are the future of archaeology and the Bible.
S1: So in a sentence or two, how would you have people utilize the Harvest Handbook of Bible Lands for maximum effectiveness?
S5: Well, I would say read the chapter that has to do with the period that the Bible book you're reading belongs to. If I'm going to read the book of Genesis, I would look at that chapter on the patriarchs. If I was going to read something about the time of of Moses and Joshua, I would go to the Harvest Handbook and read that chapter. That has to do with the Late Bronze Age. And through the book it's introduced like that. These are the this is the late Bronze Age, but this is the time of Moses and Joshua. This is the Iron Age two period. This is the time of King David and Solomon. And go back and read those chapters and review that. So you get a sense of the culture. What did the weapons look like? What did the houses look like? What is this world that they live in? Because each period is different, the times of Moses are very different from the later times of the Israelite kings.
S1: Well, we look forward to more great stories from your archaeological work in the days ahead. Stephen, thank you for joining us.
S6: John, I appreciate you having me on.
S1: And we'll have a link to the Harvest Handbook of Bible Lands at our website. The land and the book. Org. Charlie's back. Your questions next on the land and the book. It's the land and the book from Moody Radio. Our host, doctor Charlie Dyer. I'm John Yeager. We love this segment because it involves things that are puzzling you and everybody. Let's be honest. When you read through, Scripture comes to something that makes you kind of scratch your head. And this is the place to not just scratch your head, but fill it with some answers. So welcome. Well, you know, Israel has been in the news quite a bit over the past year. And as we know, the Bible is jam packed with end times prophecies about epic world events, the regathering of the Jewish people to their homeland. And of course, Jesus returned. It is crucial for us as believers, though, to have a proper understanding of Bible prophecy. Otherwise, our future is shaped by headlines in the news rather than Scripture. Right, Charlie?
S2: That's right. John. And in fact, with this in mind, our friends at Life and Messiah have published a book titled God, Israel and Bible Prophecy, and they're offering it free to listeners of the land in the book for a limited time. This informative book is focused on providing readers with a deeper understanding and greater appreciation of what God has in store for Israel and the nations by digging into what the scriptures say about these issues. Now, if you're interested in learning more about what God has in store, visit Life in messiah.org and click on the Moody Radio button there to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible prophecy. That's life in messiah.org. All right.
S1: Our questions for the day, starting with Terry, who says a friend and I are finishing up the Gospel of Matthew. A great study, and we noted when starting a review that the Christ child was likely one and a half to two years old at the time of the wise man's visit. Do you have any idea, though, how or why this tradition evolved that they appeared on the scene at the stable at the time of his birth, along with the shepherds, and we're also wondering why this has been carried along by the church when it's quite clear that this image is incorrect. Your thoughts?
S2: Yeah, I've not come across any specific reason that the church pictures the visit of the wise men taking place right at the time of Jesus's birth. I suspect it's because both Matthew two and Luke two describe the different events connected to Jesus's birth in Bethlehem, and people just assumed they took place at exactly the same time. But I do have one other thought. I personally don't believe the events in Matthew two had to take place a year and a half to two years later. We sometimes assume this because in Matthew 216 it says Herod ordered the soldiers to kill the babies two years old and under. But since there weren't any birth certificates issued at birth, how would the soldiers know the child's age? The wise men might have been somewhat imprecise in their calculations, but Herod was nothing if not thorough. If the child were several months or more old by his reckoning, how could he be sure to kill the right baby? Well, two years old is about when children start to speak. Any child who couldn't yet talk was to be killed, and the baby was said to be born in Bethlehem. But Herod decided to kill all the male children, it says, in Bethlehem and its vicinity. So how old was Jesus at the time of the wise men visiting? Well, depending on the length of the journey of the wise men, I suspect it was likely several months, or perhaps even as much as a year. The event did take place sometime after Jesus was born, since the families now living in a house. but the decision to kill all the boys two and under is more a reflection, I think, of Herod's paranoia than it is of Jesus's actual age at the time.
S1: René wonders, did or could God know what physical pain is like without experiencing it? God is spirit. He cannot bleed. And prior to the incarnation, he had no body. What do you think?
S2: Well, I'm not sure I can provide a fully satisfying answer here, since I don't see it being directly addressed in the Bible, but I do believe we can answer it in another way in two parts. First, God in his very essence, is incorporeal. That is, prior to the incarnation, God did not possess a physical body with nerve endings, etc. that would allow him to experience physical pain. But second, God is also omniscient, which means he did fully know and understand what pain would be like. Now, I don't believe anything, including an understanding of pain, could exist outside God's knowledge. He fully understood the impact that it would have on individual humans. In the incarnation, God became flesh in the person of Jesus, and as God man, he fully experienced pain. At revelation 13 eight says, Jesus was the lamb who was slain from the creation of the world. And I take that to mean even prior to the beginning of the universe, God's plan included the suffering of his own son. Putting all that together, I think God fully knew what physical pain would be like in his creation, and that his Son would experience it as part of the plan necessary to purchase our redemption. And and then, in the unfolding of time, what he knew because of his omniscience became known experientially through Jesus. And I think actually Isaiah 53 graphically describes that 700 years before it ever came to be.
S1: A.D. takes us to Matthew 12, verses 36 and 37, which speak of us having to give an account of all careless words spoken during our lifetime. Is there a special judgment based on our words? Since Jesus blood covers all of our sins, Why is there a separate judgment for our words?
S2: Well, it's true that Christ's atoning death on the cross is sufficient to pay the penalty for our sins. So a believer's eternal destiny is secure. However, the Bible does speak about the Bema Seat judgment, where believers will appear before Christ to have our works examined. And this would include what we have said and done since becoming believers. In first Corinthians 310 to 15, Paul talks about there by the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder and someone else is building on it. But then he says everyone should be careful how he builds. In fact, he talks there about if any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, his work will be shown for what it is because the day will bring it to light. If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he'll suffer loss. He himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames. Then later in two Corinthians five, Paul wrote, we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each 1st May receive what is due him for the things done in the body, whether good or bad. So I think our eternal destiny is secure through the work of Christ. But as children of God, we're responsible to continue to grow and mature in Christ likeness. And one aspect comes through not only what we do, but what we say. And I'll close with a portion of what James said in James three two. We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he's a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check. And the word for perfect. There has the idea of mature or complete. You know, our speech is an x ray that helps reveal how spiritually mature we really are inside.
S1: And you're listening to The Land in the book from Moody Radio doctor Charlie Dyer, our host, addressing questions that have come to us via email. This one from Todd. Can you contrast second Samuel 22 with the Book of Job? For me, the formula obedience brings blessing seemed to kind of work for David, but not for job.
S2: Yeah, I see that second Samuel 22 passage. And in fact, it's also parallel in Psalm 18, in the light of the wisdom literature that is in general, God does reward and bless the righteous. David did sin in his life, and we see consequences in the last half of second Samuel. But as he looks over his life, he sees that when he was threatened, God came to his rescue because of his righteousness. He says, God parted the heavens and came down, showed himself faithful to those who were faithful. Now that's how life generally works. But the Book of Job reminds us that there are exceptions. In job's case, it was due to a cosmic conflict, totally unknown to job. But even in the book of job, his earlier life in the first chapter shows the same general pattern, that is, that God was blessing him because of his faithfulness. And in the end of the book, the same thing is true. So I see this as a reminder that this is how life generally works. But I'm also reminded there are times in life when we do see apparent exceptions, and in those times we just need to walk by faith and not by sight.
S1: Aaron comments in Genesis 18. Abraham intercedes for the righteous in Sodom, and it reminds me of the bartering that takes place in the Old City of Jerusalem today. I wondered what you thought about that comparison.
S2: You know, I do see comparisons to actually what we observe in bargaining in the Middle East. The difference is that in typical bargaining situations, you have offers and counteroffers being made. Now, in Genesis 18, Abraham makes a request. He hopes the Lord will find acceptable. And once God says yes, he then tries to push the envelope, so to speak, to have the Lord lower the threshold until he reaches a number that Abraham hopes will reflect reality. But to answer the question, this does make perfect sense in that culture.
S1: All right. Todd wants to know why was Solomon David's successor instead of an earlier born child?
S2: That's a little bit complex, because we don't know the order of birth for all David's children. But in first Chronicles three, we're given the names of all David's sons. And four of them it says were by Bathsheba. In fact, Solomon is listed fourth. So we know that the order there isn't the order in which all the children were actually given birth. Having said that, here's my best guess in the order. It does say Amnon was the firstborn there, which presumably would put him first in line, but he was killed by Absalom following his rape of Tamar. Now we're not told anything about the second son listed. His name is Daniel, which suggests maybe he died before reaching adulthood. The next child, listed as Absalom, who led a failed coup against David and died in battle, and the next son listed as Adonijah, who tried to usurp the throne at the time of David's death, he failed. He was later put to death for again trying to manipulate events to replace Solomon. Now, we don't know much about the other male heirs, though I think it's probable that Solomon could legitimately have been the next in line. So he was the first legitimate heir to be able to take the throne.
S1: Well, thank you for your questions today, Charlie. Thank you for those great answers. Powerful insights, helpful stuff for sure. And we welcome your question. Any time when you email us at The Land and the book@moody.edu. We also welcome you to visit our website, where you'll find links to today's guest, information about past and future programs, and a whole lot more. That's the land and the books.org. Don't go away. One more segment to come. Charlie's devotional next. Right here. Have you ever come to a passage in Scripture and you say, I should memorize that verse? And maybe you memorize the verse and then you see the one surrounding and you go, I should memorize those two and maybe the whole chapter for me. Colossians chapter three is one of those chapters. I'm John Gager. This is the land and the book. But, Charlie, you've singled out a special verse today that we're going to look at in your devotional. Tell us about it.
S2: Yeah, it's going to be Colossians 316, and we're going to look at a little bit around it as well, John.
S1: All right. I'm looking forward to that after we pause for this Holy Land experience.
S7: I guess my trip could be summed up in tears. Number one was tears. To be able to be in the land, to walk in the places and touch the sites where Jesus had been. Particularly Peter's house in Capernaum. I guess my second set of tears were for the people to know that Israel is such a small area, but it has such a big God. To know that enemies within and enemies without the father, God's hand is on that land and that he is protecting, he is providing. To see the ingenuity that he has given the people to work the land and to make it produce for them. And I guess my last set of tears were for the fact that I could not give up my citizenship here in America and just move and live there in the land, and to be there when Jesus returned.
S1: Colossians chapter three. What a great, great chapter. I love the book of Colossians. I'm looking forward to your devotional.
S2: I think you'll like this, John. This is week four of my five week series on famous 3/16 of the Bible, and today finds us in the interior of Western Turkey. We're about 100 miles east of ancient Ephesus and just nine miles southeast of Laodicea. The ruins of Ephesus and Laodicea are impressive, but we're visiting a far less imposing location. The hill in front of us is the site of the ancient city of Colossae. To the south of the city, Mount Cadmus rises up, forming a majestic background. And next to where we're standing, the Lycus River rushes down from the hills and out onto the plain. About four centuries before the time of Jesus, Colossae was a populous and prosperous town known for its wool trade. It had also gained something of a geographical and religious notoriety in volume two of his history. Fifth century BC writer Herodotus described Colossae as a great city of Phrygia, where the river Lycus falls into an opening in the earth and disappears from view, and then, after an interval of about five furlongs, that's about 3300ft. It comes up to view again before eventually flowing into the Maeander River. This geographical anomaly became connected to a mixture of pagan and Jewish mysticism, and even as the town declined economically, religious speculation continued unabated with its mixture of pagans, Jews and then Christians. The inhabitants of Colossae were influenced by a syncretistic blend of different beliefs. One aspect of this has been called a Jewish cult of angels. F.F. Bruce described it this way there were powerful forces at work. Chief among those were those tendencies which in a few decades blossomed forth in the elaborate system of the various schools of Gnosticism. One form of incipient Gnosticism is the Syncretistic angel cult of nonconformist Jewish foundation and pagan superstructure. So how did the disappearing and reappearing Lycus River connect to an angel cult? Well, this unorthodox cult venerated the Archangel Michael, who is said to have caused a curative spring to gush from a fissure in the earth. The reappearance of the river, combined with this mixture of Jewish and pagan beliefs, could be what Paul had in mind when he wrote in his letter to the church at Colossae to warn them against anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels. Now, as far as we know, Paul never visited the city of Colossae, and yet he cared deeply for the believers there. As he penned his letter to this church, he wrote in chapter two. I want you to know how much I am struggling for you, and for those at Laodicea, and for all who have not met me personally. The phrase out of sight, out of mind didn't describe Paul or his genuine care for the believers in this town, but right about now you might be asking yourself, so why are we standing here at the site of ancient Colossae? After all, the town has vanished. The mound in front of us has never been excavated. The site's relatively small, and the city likely only had a few thousand inhabitants. By the time Paul wrote to them, it had been eclipsed by the nearby cities of Laodicea and Hierapolis. From the tiny letter of Philemon, we do know Paul hoped to visit here after his release from prison, but were never told whether he made it or not. So what makes this place so important? And what's the famous 316 in Paul's letter here that can transform our lives? I'm glad you asked Paul's answer to a church struggling theologically, to a church that he'd never visited personally, was to point them to Jesus. The best way to spot a counterfeit, any counterfeit is to become intimately acquainted with the original. From counterfeit money to forged paintings. The more you know all the subtle details and characteristics of the original, the better prepared you are to spot any fakes. So what's the original Paul holds up for them to study? Simply put, it's Jesus. In chapter one, verses 15 and 16, Jesus is the image of the invisible God and the one who created all things in 117. He's the one who holds all things together in one. 18 to 19 Jesus is the head of the church. He's the one who rose from the dead and who's supreme over all. He's the one who died on the cross and shed his own blood to reconcile us to God. In chapter two, verse three, Jesus is the one in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. In chapter two, verse eight, Paul says that any so-called truth, apart from the truth found in Jesus, is just hollow and deceptive philosophy. In two nine, Jesus is the one in whom all the fullness of the deity lives in bodily form. Jesus is the head over every power and authority. The Old Testament dietary laws and religious festivals were a foreshadowing of the reality that was to come. But Paul says in verse 17, the reality is found in Christ. You get the picture. To avoid getting sucked into false teaching, whatever its source, the solution is to come to know everything you can about Jesus in his fullness as God's Son and our Savior. And then Paul comes to chapter three, where he explores the practical outworking of our focus on Jesus. He begins in verses one and two by telling us to set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things. Move your mental zip code from earth to heaven, and concentrate on the one with whom you will be spending eternity. People sometimes say, you can be so heavenly minded that you're no earthly good, but Paul would disagree. In fact, he gets very practical as he moves through the chapter. Since Christ is all and is in all, our connection with him should show up in all we do in life. Listen to his list of practical commands. Clothe yourself with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievance you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you, and over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Setting your heart on things above with Jesus will show up in your day to day walk as you look forward to being with him in eternity. And then we come to Paul's 316 moment. Well, actually, his 316 is set like a jewel in a three jewel crown. Where to? Where? Verse 15. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts. Verse 16, let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly. Verse 17. Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Experience Jesus's peace. Take in Jesus's Word and represent Jesus well in your actions. Cults. false religions and syncretistic forms of worship. Focus on your duties, what you must do to win favor with God. They can sound good, but in the end, it's all about your effort, and there's a sense of pride that comes with the feeling that you're on the inside track, that you mastered the secret recipe that you're working your way into God's favor through your own efforts, and the way to avoid getting sucked into such a trap is to focus on the genuine article. Jesus. Get to know him deeply, personally, intimately. And Colossians 316 provides the key. Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly. If you want to know Jesus, get to know His word. Paul then explains how later in the verse, teach and admonish one another with all wisdom. Go to church, attend Bible studies, listen online or read for yourself, but connect to God's Word. Take it in. Let it become part of the very fabric of your being so you can begin to think God's thoughts. And when you do, you'll find yourself experiencing God's supernatural peace with a thankful heart. Now, as we say goodbye to Colossae and head home, what practical lessons can you take along with you? Let me suggest this. This next week take time to read through the book of Colossians. It's only four chapters and highlight or underline everything Paul says about Jesus, what he's done for you and what he now calls on you to do as you wait to meet him, and then see if you don't find yourself thinking more clearly and living more. Thankfully, as you allow His Word to dwell richly in you.
S1: Thank you Charlie. I'm still parked at that phrase of yours. Move your mental zipcode from earth to heaven. Beloved, you can hear today's devotional or the entire program again, as always at the land and the books.org. Thanks for listening today. I'm John Gager for our host, Charlie Dyer. The land and the book is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.