S1: Hello friends. It's time for the second hour of Open Line with Doctor Michael Redlich. That's me. It's Moody Radio's Bible study across America. We're talking about your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. I'm my. As I said, my name is Michael Melnick. I'm the academic dean, and I'm also a professor of Jewish studies and Bible at Moody Bible Institute. We're live sitting around the radio kitchen table today taking your questions. So now's the time to give me a call. Always best at the beginning of the hour. Uh, it's the best way to get through the phone number here. (877) 548-3675. That's (877) 548-3675. And remember, if you can't call, you can always go to our website openline radio.org and click on the link that says Ask Michael a question. You can post your question there. Trish will put it in the mailbag for upcoming weeks. I hope you have your Bibles open and a second cup of coffee, because we're going to talk about the scriptures. So you need your Bible right there. And I think we need the coffee to keep going. There's a couple of things I do want to mention. Uh, first of all, our current resource, which is a book called The Story of the Bible. It's written by a friend of mine, Carl Laney, and I. I actually picked this book up myself. Uh, I saw that he had published it, and I liked it so much that I thought, well, I like the title, and I get questions about this so often that I bought a copy myself, and then I liked it so much, I said, let's use this as a resource. The reason is people wonder all the time, how did those ancient manuscripts become the book that we're supposed to read every day. Uh, how did it go from divine inspiration to canonicity? How did the books get put in the Bible to the transmission and copying of the books all the way to modern translations? And since people always ask about this, I thought, what a great resource. How God worked through human authors, how he used scribes, how he used translators. This book will give you great confidence in the Bible, in its reliability, and why we should constantly be reading it and transformed by it. If you'd like a copy of the story of the Bible, it's yours. When you give a gift of any size to open line, just go to our website, Open Line radio.org or call (888) 644-7122. And also, uh, some people have been asking me about a Bible study, uh, thing that I'm doing next year in December, a Caribbean cruise. Uh, if you're interested in, in joining me for a Bible study on a cruise ship on a tall ship in the Caribbean. Just go to my website Michael Wright. Org. There's a link there with a picture of a cruise ship. Click on that. You can learn more about that. Now we're going to go to the phones and talk with uh, Bob in Chicago, Illinois listening on Wmbi. Welcome to Open Line. Bob. How can I help you?
S2: Yes. God's blessings. Uh, Michael, uh, listen, I'm working with a young man who's, uh, who's approached me. Uh, he's he's a student over at Moody. Okay. And, uh, you and I studied under you. Okay. Messianic. Uh, okay. And it was in messianic ministry. Still am.
S1: Huh?
S2: Uh, but but he but he's he's the issues. I'm looking for clarification. Uh, because we hear so much, uh, it's to the Jews first. And yet Jesus says he will not return Until the Great Commission is fulfilled, and I need clarification on that point.
S1: Well, I'm not sure. I'm not sure what your question is that. Should we not go to Jewish people with the gospel?
S2: No, no, it's not that. It's it's the reason the Jews were the ones that were to initially carry the message. Yeah, okay. That's to the Jews first. But to reach the Gentiles, the Gentiles who have become believers in the, in the, in the King of the Jews has to be fulfilled. Uh, ultimately, before Jesus returns.
S1: Well, listen, the gospel needs to be proclaimed throughout the earth in Matthew 24. That's during the tribulation period. Not now. The rapture can happen at any time. Uh, but it's really important to know that God always treats the gospel message in Romans 116 as to the Jewish people pre-eminently not historically that it went to the Jews first, and now it's not to the Gentiles. But when it says in the Great Commission to make disciples of the nations, what nation is included in there? The Jewish people. Paul means in Romans 116 that the gospel has primary relevance to the Jewish people, but it's for all nations. And I think even even in the book of acts, when you see it going from Jerusalem to Judea to Samaria, and then finally to the Gentile world, you have acts 12, which is the end of the gospel to the Jewish world. And then it's going to in acts 13, you have the missionary journeys pick up Richard Longnecker. I pulled this up right from my computer. He's got a great quote, uh, about the purpose of acts 12. He says, before Luke turns to his portrayal of the Christian message to the Gentile world. He takes the opportunity of presenting two further glimpse glimpses of God's working on behalf of the believers in Jerusalem. Luke seems desirous of making the point that though he is about to portray the advances of the gospel within the Gentile Gentile world, it should not be assumed that God was finished with Jerusalem, or that his activity in the Jewish world was finished. Divine activity on behalf of the Gentiles does not mean divine inactivity on behalf of the Jewish world, or unconcerned for Jews. This is a heresy that has often afflicted, afflicted Gentile Christians and resulted in horrendous calamities. Do you hear what he is saying? That just because the gospel is now going to spread to the Gentile world, doesn't mean that God isn't working in the Jewish world? And so if someone's going to go, uh, uh, reach the Jewish people, that's something that God is working in. He still it still has primary relevance for Jewish people. And by the way, one of the things that happens whenever you go reach Jewish people, everyone gets reached. What I found is if people go to the Gentile world, they're not usually looking to reach Jews. But when you go to reach Jews, the result is there are so many Gentiles wherever you go that you're still going to be reaching Gentiles. So does that does that answer your question? I hope, Bob.
S2: It wasn't a question. I'm in Jewish ministry. I understand that, but he's confused. He's confused about whether or not he needs to move to Israel to set up a church in Israel, as opposed to possibly going out and preaching the word elsewhere.
S3: Well, okay.
S1: You don't have to go to Israel to reach Jewish people. The Jewish.
S3: People.
S2: Are.
S3: No, no, no, ah, ah. The.
S1: The, the Jewish people are the unreached people right in our very midst. So hopefully he will if God's calling him to Jewish ministry, wherever he goes, he'll go out and reach Jewish people with the gospel. Appreciate your call. Bob, uh, we're going to talk to James in Webster, Florida, listening to Wcqs. Welcome to Open Line, James. How can I help you today?
S4: Yes, sir. I just wanted to ask, uh, it says to, uh, leave behind all your worldly possessions to follow him. And he tells the man to sell all of his stuff and follow him. But then everywhere you see that, it says to, uh, when you get to heaven, that you'll walk on streets of gold and live in mansions. And I was just wondering why. Why is it to give up everything down here? So when we get to heaven, we can have it there.
S3: Well.
S1: Is this a genuine question, James? I, I just need to know. Are you. Are you really thinking you have to give up all your worldly possessions?
S4: No, sir, I'm not meaning about it like that, but I mean, he he tells the man.
S1: I understand what you're. I understand the verses. I'm just asking. What? What is your real question here? James? What are you concerned about?
S3: Uh.
S4: What if if I make it to heaven? What if when I get to heaven, I don't want to walk on streets of gold. And, uh. I don't want to live in a mansion. I want to live in a little cabin and have fields of green grass. I mean.
S3: Okay, I don't. Well.
S1: Okay. Now, now, let me clarify what the scriptures actually say. Uh, the the rich young ruler, he he was told to sell all his possessions because his possessions meant more to him than anything else. And and the Lord Jesus knew what was in humanity. And that's why he told him that. It's not like he tells that to everyone. Uh, and then further the streets of gold in heaven. That's metaphorical. And and not, uh, not necessarily, uh, something to be taken literally. And in John 14, when the Lord Jesus says, uh, in my father's house there are many mansions. Uh, let's be honest that the literal translation, that's King James Version, but the literal translation is in my father's house there are many apartments or places to live. So it's not talking about mansions, necessarily, James. It's just talking about this. And what is most important is not how you're going to live, whether the streets are paved with gold or whether we get a mansion or an apartment. What I think is really the issue here is what what we know from, uh, the, uh, Elliott, uh, Jim Elliott, who said, uh, he is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose. We sometimes give up our everything about our lives so that we can, because that's what what knowing him and following him may entail. But we gain something by following Jesus that we cannot lose. And that's an eternal relationship with God. And and that's what it's not talking about streets of gold. That's a metaphor. It's not talking about many mansions. It's talking about having an eternal walk and relationship with God that will never fail us, that will never be taken away from us. And that's what our goal should be, not worrying about how we're going to live or where we're going to walk, it's that we're going to be with the Lord forever. Uh, and if you're listening and you're thinking, oh, the the faith is just pie in the sky, it's not. It's Jesus promised us an abundant life now, an eternal life with him forever. All our sins will be forgiven, will be with him forever. I hope. If you're listening and you would like to experience a forever relationship with God, all you have to do is trust that Jesus died for you, taking the punishment for your sin and that he was raised again, proving he's God and now he's got the power to to live through you by His Holy Spirit. Uh, I hope you'll put your trust in the fact that Jesus died for your sins and rose again and experienced that forever relationship with God. Uh, you don't have to wait. You can trust in him right now. Just tell him by faith. Just tell him I believe that you died. The Lord Jesus died for me and rose again. And I'm accepting that in my life right now. That's all you have to do. Just tell him, uh, and and then you'll have that forever relationship with God. We're going to take a break right here. Give you a chance to respond to that. Let me know. Give me a call If you've put your trust in Jesus for the very first time right now by listening and hearing that and responding to that. Uh, this is open line with Michael Ray. Dominic. We're going to be back with more of your Bible questions in just a moment, so don't go away. Uh, we'll be right back. Welcome back to Open Line. So glad to be with you. Hey, I've been talking to a bunch of young people, uh, speaking in different schools of late. One of the things that I was struck by is what a great school, Moody Bible Institute, is for young people as they finish high school, people think, well, I need to get a job. And so I have to major in something that will listen. The most important foundation you can get for life is understanding how to grow your walk with God, how to understand His Word, how to serve him no matter what job you're in. And so I really want to encourage you no matter where you're going. We're all called to serve the king. And if you're interested in and no matter what it is that you're going to do, you're going to be serving him. That's our first priority. Get the foundation that you need to do that. The best way to do that is by checking out Moody Bible Institute. Now you think I'm too old to go to school, but you have children, grandchildren really encourage them to check out if they know the Lord and want to serve him. Uh, check out, uh, no matter where they're going to get their job, no matter how they get their paycheck, Moody's the best place to learn how to serve the Lord. The Lord in anywhere they go. Check out Moody, Dot, Edu and maybe even come visit the school. I really want to encourage people to check that out. Uh, and we're going to talk now to Doug in Akron, Ohio, listening on Wtxf. Welcome to Open Line, Doug. How can I help you today?
S5: Well, my question is, I've heard in the past that the Holy Spirit will convict you of sin. And I wondered if there's any scriptural proof or evidence that it says that that is one of the functions of the Holy Spirit.
S1: Do you ever feel convicted of sin?
S5: Yes. Yeah. And I yeah. My question is, is that my conscience or.
S3: Yeah.
S1: Well, I think it's both, actually. Uh, the Holy Spirit is what our conscience will convict us of sin. But, uh, generally it doesn't help us if we just feel guilty. The benefit of the Holy Spirit's ministry is that he convicts us of sin. So that we put our trust in Jesus. This is not talking about a believer. In John 16 it says, uh, this is what the Lord Jesus says, uh, in John 16 seven. Uh, it's for your benefit that I go away. He's talking about the ascension there. Because if I don't go away, the counselor will not come to you. If I go, I will send him to you. So it's talking about the Holy Spirit. He says when he comes, he will convict the world. It's not talking about believers here. It's talking about the world about sin, righteousness, and judgment, about sin, because they don't believe in me. Now think about this. He'll convict you of sin. Uh, maybe it's the great sin of not believing in him. Or maybe because you don't, you'll feel convicted of sin by the Holy Spirit. Because. Not forgiven. And then about, uh, righteousness. Because I'm going to the father. He will convict people about the righteousness that is needed to stand before God. And no one else has it but the Lord Jesus. He can go stand before the father. And so it's sort of a sense of he'll convict them of their lack of righteousness that Jesus alone has. And then, uh, and then about judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged, if the the one who causes all the rebellion and sin in the world has been judged through the death of Jesus, and ultimately through being bound and cast into the abyss and ultimately cast into the lake of fire, if that one will face judgment. Anyone that that doesn't know the Lord has that same destiny. And so there's a sense of I will be judged for my sin. And so this is talking about the way the the Holy Spirit works in people's lives to convict them of sin, righteousness, and judgment. I often say to people, in order to get saved, you have to first have to get lost. People have to have a sense of, uh, of being separated from God because of their sin. That's what the Holy Spirit is doing. And then, uh, the result is that they will trust in Jesus, be forgiven, and by application, if the Holy Spirit can do that with people who don't know him, how much more will he do it with those of us who do know him, in whom he is dwelling within us already. So that's that's where I think the scripture is for about the convicting work of the Holy Spirit.
S5: Okay. Thank you very much.
S3: Okay. Yeah.
S1: Thanks. Thanks for your call. Uh, and we're going to talk to Stephanie in Cleveland, Tennessee. Uh, listening on Wmw. Welcome to Open Line, Stephanie. How can I help you today?
S6: Hi, doctor Michael or doctor Nick. I'm sorry.
S3: You can call me Doctor Michael.
S1: You can call me Michael.
S3: You can call me. Uh.
S1: I don't care what you call me. That's fine.
S3: So.
S6: I'm sorry. Um.
S3: Hey, you know, I think I always like it when.
S1: Uh.
S3: There are kids.
S1: That they want to call me Mr. Nick. My friends, children, grandchildren, they want. And I say, just call me Michael to those kids. And and they they can't do it. They call me Doctor Michael. I think.
S3: That's.
S6: Well.
S3: So.
S6: Yeah, I can understand that. Yeah. Um. Thank you. Thank you for taking my call. I was asked a question last night, and I, I know you've talked about this before, and I'm sorry that I could not give a proper answer, but, um, they asked me about salvation after the rapture, uh, during tribulation. And I know that, um, there's a remnant and there was some something about that that you've talked about and was hoping maybe you could help me answer this question about the possibility of salvation after the rapture.
S3: Yeah.
S1: Well, at the rapture, everyone that knows this is my belief. I believe in the pre-tribulation rapture. That means that, uh, The the Lord will snatch the church up any genuine believer to be with him, and that will happen sometime before the tribulation. Then the tribulation begins when Israel signs a covenant with the false Messiah, the Antichrist. And that's, uh, found in Daniel 924 through 27. Uh, that's the passage about that. Uh, but can people so I think just be clear, Stephanie, you're saying can people be saved in the tribulation once the tribulation begins? Am I am I hearing you right?
S6: Yes. That is my question.
S3: Yeah.
S1: Okay. So, uh, it does appear to be so because you keep seeing people getting saved in the book of revelation after the tribulation has begun. So here I am in revelation chapter seven, as I'm turning my pages here. Uh, and it says that there are 144,000, 12,000 from each tribe. 144,000 people of Israel. Uh, and they this is what it says. Don't harm the earth or the sea or the trees until we seal the slaves of our God on their foreheads. Uh, and they are sealed to serve him. It doesn't say what they are sealed to do. What how their service is going to be, but they, uh. But it just says that they are sealed as servants of God. And then the very next paragraph talks about the vast multitude from every nation, tribe, people and language which no one could number, standing before the throne and before the lamb, robed in white with palm branches in their hands, crying out, salvation belongs to our God. These are the people who get saved in the tribulation. So it sounds to me like what we have in revelation seven is 144,000 Jews who believe in Jesus. They get saved in the tribulation. They're sealed to serve God. I think their service is proclaiming the gospel. Think of about 144,000 Jewish. Billy Graham's out there proclaiming the gospel during the tribulation, and they win people from every tribe and tongue and nation. And so that, yes, there's most people don't realize this, but there's going to be a great revival in the tribulation period. Okay. There and there, they're going to win a lot of people to the Lord. And then those people who are from every tribe and tongue and nation, they'll win people to the Lord. And so I think there's going to be a great revival. I think just as many people as ever, maybe the greatest revival in history will take place in the worst time in history, in the tribulation period. Okay, Stephanie. Yeah.
S6: Thank you. Thank you very much. I appreciate.
S1: That. And by the way, then you'll see that there will be martyrs in revelation six during the tribulation. How can they be martyrs in the tribulation if if they didn't get saved in the tribulation, since every believer will be removed? So yeah, there will there will be martyrs and there will be great revival. Okay, okay. Thanks for your call.
S7: Appreciate it. Thank you.
S1: Uh, we're going to talk with Ronald in Elmwood Park, Illinois, listening on Wmbi, our flagship station. Hello, Ronald. How can I help you today? Welcome to the young man.
S8: How are you doing?
S1: Thank God. Doing okay? How can I help you?
S8: I am far from a biblical scholar, so please accept some of my babbling. But anyhow.
S1: There's no babbling, no babbling allowed. Just go ahead with your question.
S8: There's a. I'm sure there's there's a verse or several in the Bible. Moses meets Jesus on Mount Sinai and they and it says to I'm paraphrasing or whatever I'm doing with it. That day, Jesus spoke to Moses face to face. And I believe that there's another instance where Moses is going across the desert, where he goes back to his tent, and that one evening and Jesus comes down and he meets him face to face. And pretty sure, at least in the Mount Sinai, when it says face to face as a man speaks to another man. But I believe there's several places in the Bible where it says.
S1: Okay, I got you, I got you. So what's your question?
S8: No one has seen the face of God and lived.
S1: Okay. That's it. And you want to know about how can Moses speak to God face to face?
S8: Yes, sir.
S1: Okay, good. Uh, so in the book of numbers, when, uh. Uh, Miriam and Aaron speak against Moses because they get jealous. They're like, we're we're prophets, too, you know? You should listen to us, too. God calls them out, and he and he says in numbers 12, verses six through eight. Uh, if there is a prophet among you from the Lord, I will make myself known to him in a vision. I speak with him in a dream. Uh, not so with my servant Moses. He is faithful in all my household. I speak with him directly and literally. It says mouth to mouth. And that's what some versions translate with him. I speak face to face openly and not in riddles. He sees the form of the Lord. So what you have here is Moses speaks to God directly. That's it's a metaphor, uh, that that they have direct conversation, not dreams and visions. But it doesn't mean that Moses actually sees God. That comes from another place. When Moses goes up on the mountain and they see God. But I believe what they only see there is they see in a vision in numbers 2411. Uh, they saw him in a vision. That's the Hebrew word that's used. So that's how Moses could see God. Uh, we'll talk more about that another time. Thanks for your call. We're going to be right back with the mailbag, so don't go away. Welcome back to Open Line. I'm so grateful to be with you. I so appreciate Tricia being back with me. She's got all the mailbag questions, the Febc mailbag questions, and, uh. Hey, Tricia. Yes, I'm. I am just amazed. Uh, I have to say, to hear it did a great job the last couple of weeks when you weren't in the studio. Uh. And did she tell you what I told her to warn you about?
S9: I'm not sure if she did.
S1: I told her to worry that you should. She should tell you the story of Wally Pipp.
S9: Oh. You know.
S1: Do you know the story of Wally Pipp?
S9: I do not. Wally.
S1: Wally Pipp was the first baseman of the Yankees, and he got injured. And so this is in, uh, this is about 100 years ago. And so a guy named Lou Gehrig was replaced him.
S9: Yeah, I've heard of him. Yeah.
S1: Lou Gehrig, Hall of Famer. He set the record for most continuous games without missing one, uh, 2130 games. That was later broken by Cal Ripken. But he set the record for a long time, 2130 consecutive games. And Wally Pipp lost his job. And so I told her that you should be a little concerned.
S9: That she should.
S1: Yeah, because you don't want to become the Wally Pipp of producers.
S9: That's it. It's true, it's true. But we're working together as a team, she and I. And so. Yeah. So that neither of us has to be here every week because we've both been here every week. Um, yeah. In the background. Often she was in the background. And so, um, yeah. So we're kind of sharing this and working together as a team.
S1: Yeah. Which most people don't know about why we need a team for something like this is because you are also the producer of Chris Fabry Live, and you're here during the week. You're I feel bad for you having to be here on the weekends, but we're part of a team and I really appreciate the whole big team. And that teamwork is what makes open line work people. Yeah, people don't know how important, how much I rely on the whole team. Omar. You. Tyra. Lisa. Everyone's there, and I really appreciate it. And I appreciate to our kitchen table partners. They're part of the team, too. Uh, they give monthly so I can be on the air weekly. And they really are part of the team every time I meet them. I'm so excited when I meet kitchen table partners. If you'd like to become a kitchen table partner, be part of the team. What we'll do is we'll send you a Bible study moment every other week. It's a special Bible study that you get in your email. You click on it, and it's an audio Bible study prepared exclusively for our kitchen table partners. I'm having a fun time right now with the with the new series, I'm starting on the work of the father, son, and Holy Spirit in the book of Ephesians in chapter one about how they work in our salvation. That's kind of fun.
S9: Yeah, yeah, it's a study we've been talking about for a while off the air, and so I'm glad it's finally coming to fruition.
S1: Finally doing it. I appreciate Trish producing that. Uh, and the way to become a kitchen table partner if you'd like to become one, is by calling (888) 644-7122. That's (888) 644-7122 or go to open line radio.org. And we so so appreciate all of you. And now you've got the Febc mailbag. Thanks for Febc partnering with us to bring the mailbag. And I want you to check out their podcast Until all I've heard, because it talks about their great work, about reaching the nations through media and personal engagement. Uh, just go to febc.org. Far Eastern Broadcasting Company febc.org. Okay. Tricia, what have we got?
S9: All right. Kevin in Minnesota listens to Ktis and says, I had decided that quoting job's three friends to make a correct biblical point is a bad idea and should not be done even if they said something accurate because, um, they were so wrong in the whole book, in the story with job and have problematic credibility, even if they have a nice, concise quote. I'd rather use biblical people who are more accurate and living rightly. Um, but there are other places where the Bible quotes unbelievers when they say untrue things. But I was also assuming we shouldn't use those to support things that we have. However, in first Corinthians 319, Paul quotes Eliphaz from job 513 so that seems to shoot my cherished theory down. Can you please help me with this?
S1: Yeah, I think that shoots your theory down. That's what I would say. Uh, it's, uh, think about this. Let's let's just take it out of the hole. Job's friends. Context. Matthew 16 Jesus says to Peter, who do men say that I am? He says, you know these different options.
S9: Some say this, some say this.
S1: Yeah. And then he says. But who do you say that I am? He says, you are the Messiah, the son of the living God. Jesus says, flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my father. It's a big deal that that Peter gets that very next thing the Lord Jesus says is that he's going to Jerusalem. He's going to be crucified. Peter says, absolutely not. No, no, no. And what does the Lord Jesus response to him there?
S9: Get behind me, Satan! Isn't that right?
S10: That's it. That's right.
S1: Well, here's the question. Uh, what do we what do we do with that? Do we never quote Peter because he was so off on that.
S9: So off or that Jesus calls him Satan?
S10: Exactly.
S9: That's pretty.
S10: Far off.
S1: We just have to assess whether the thing the person says is true. You're the Messiah. Uh, or uh, or the or wrong. Never. Lord, you'll never be crucified, right?
S10: Right.
S1: And the same thing with Eliphaz. The same thing with. With anyone in Scripture. We have to establish whether what they're saying is overall true. We have the whole Bible to evaluate it or not. True. And it's okay to quote one of job's friends as long as what they're saying is true. Okay. Not not mistaken. So.
S9: Okay.
S1: That does shoot the theory, doesn't it?
S9: It does, it does. But that's a good helpful um, tool as we're tip as we're studying the Bible. Like we shouldn't be quoting those that say there is no God because that's not what we believe. And we have an entire book that talks about. Yeah, you know, that kind of supports the opposite of that, even though that is in the Bible. But but quoting the truth, even if it is said by someone who is false, like, like even Balaam and his donkey, like those are not people that you would quote, generally speaking, however, you know, there was.
S1: Why can we quote Balaam? Because he got it right. And that's why we have the story of Balaam's donkey. Because if God could speak through one donkey, he can speak through another donkey, right?
S10: That's right. Okay.
S9: Thank you for that question, Kevin. Our next question is from Franco in Florida. Um, who is confused about Exodus 30? And actually, any time that something, um, talks about a perpetual like this is a perpetual thing that God is setting up or a forever thing was commanded by the people to do this forever. Um, specifically like sacrifices. Should Israel still be offering sacrifices like God set up in Exodus 30 day and night? Um, and then beyond that kind of, he said, I thought that Jesus had fulfilled the law. And yet Matthew five he says it will not pass away before passing, before the passing of heaven and earth. Can you explain?
S1: Well, first of all, the a lot of the commands are oh, this is forever. The the words olam the world forever in Hebrew means until its lifespan for its lifespan. Okay, so. So when the lifespan of the event is over. No, you don't have to do it anymore. Uh, so, for example, in Exodus 21 six, it talks about the the slave that wants to become doesn't want to be liberated, but wants to become his master's servant forever, and he gets his ear pierced. Do you remember that story in Exodus 21? And then it says he will be his servant forever? Well, that doesn't mean for all eternity. It means for as long as he lives. And that's how very often we have to understand these commands. Like how often should Israel, uh, uh, offer these sacrifices or burn this incense for as long as the sacrificial system exists, as long as it lives, that's how long we do it. Uh, and yes, the Law of Moses is forever. I open my Bible. We talk about it all the time. It's right there. The Torah is in my Bible, and I still can live by its principles and wisdom, as as we all should. Because it's the word of God. Uh, but the what? What the law. What has, uh, been rendered inoperative? Not that it doesn't exist, but it's not our it's not our operating system is what it is. Uh, so, uh, that's that's the key idea. It's not our operating system. That's the Sinai covenant, the laws that were given. So. Okay, but they still exist, and they're still there. Okay. And the reason I say that is the Lord Jesus doesn't say the law alone. He says the law and the prophets. And in Matthew, in Matthew five, he's talking about the Bible as a whole.
S9: Okay. Um, so when it comes to Matthew 28, When Jesus says, I am with you always.
S1: Different Greek word is it.
S9: I was going to ask what it is even to the end of the age. Is that just just for the time, or is that an actual.
S1: For the eons?
S9: Okay, so that is, that is longer than than these do these.
S1: Sacrifices.
S9: Forever. Okay. Yeah. Okay. Good. That makes me feel good. Makes me feel better sometimes. You know, you never ask a question you don't know the answer to. But I was like, oh, I don't know what the actual Greek says in that. So thank you for that reassurance. So that one actually is a forever eternal. Yeah. An eternal promise from Jesus. Yeah. Okay. That's it. Wonderful. Okay. You want to do one more?
S1: No. We're going to take a break.
S9: Okay. All right. Sounds good.
S1: Had a good time with that. We'll we'll take more questions. Send your question in to open line radio.org. All you have to do is go to our website. Click on the link that says ask Michael a question and Trish will uh you can post it there and Trish will put it in the mailbag. Thanks for your help with this, Tricia. Always. And thanks for. Thanks for not being Wally Pipp and coming back. Appreciate it. We're going to be right back with more of your questions in just a moment, so don't go away. This is open line with Michael Ray Dolnick and Tricia McMillan. Welcome back to Open Line. You know, I should have mentioned this earlier. Uh, someone called in and wanted to know, is it okay for someone to still go to the Jewish people today? Because the gospel was to the Jewish people first and therefore, uh, you know, now, shouldn't we be reaching the Gentiles so that Jesus can return? Uh, well, here's the thing. When the Bible says the gospel is to the Jew first, it doesn't mean that the historically the gospel went to the Jewish people earlier, and that now is to the Gentiles. It means to the Jewish people especially. And and for the whole world. It says, I am not ashamed of the gospel. It is present tense, the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jewish people especially, and also to the Gentiles. That's what that verse means. And yes, we should reach Jewish people. And there's a great little booklet called To the Jew first by In the New Millennium, uh, by, uh, Doctor Al Mohler. And it's being offered for free by Chosen People Ministries. I hope you'll get a copy. It's a wonderful little booklet, and it really shows how being faithful to this message of reaching the Jewish people with the gospel will, uh, show our our commitment to the Great Commission and how important it is. And if you'd like a copy of this wonderful little booklet, all you have to do is go to our website, openline radio.org. Scroll down till you come to the link that says A Free gift from Chosen People Ministries. Click on that. It'll take you to a page where you can sign up for your own copy of Al Mohler's to the Jew first. And now we're going to go to the phones and talk with Linda listening in Lakeland, Florida on Wcqs. Welcome to Open Line, Linda. Now is a good season to be living in Florida, isn't it? It's not too hot.
S11: It's beautiful. It's absolutely gorgeous. It is. It's great times all around. That's great. My question was I was reading about when Moses was on the mountain and he was talking. God was talking to him and he passed by him. And then Moses came down the mountain. And when he got down there, they were all worshipping the golden calf. And, um, he I don't know if he said something to Aaron or not, but Aaron says, I don't know how it happened. It just kind of all the pieces, it just formed itself.
S1: I tossed the gold in the fire and out came this calf.
S11: And out there it is. And then God smote 3000 people. Why? Why was Aaron, um. You know, not smote.
S1: Why was he not smote? Yeah. Yeah. I wonder about that myself. Why was Aaron not smote? Uh, here's what I think. I don't think, uh, not why? I don't think Aaron really wanted to do this. Uh, I think that what happened was, uh, that Aaron Aaron was just pressed by the people. Uh, and I also believe what happened is that when Moses came down and got really ticked off, as he should have been, he said, what did these people do to you that you have led them into such a great sin? Uh, that's, by the way, that's in Exodus 32, verse 24, he says, when I threw it in the fire, out came this calf. And Moses saw the people were out of control, for Aaron had let them get out of control, resulting in weakness before their enemies and the Levites. So then this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says. Every man fastened his sword to his side. Go back and forth through the camp from entrance to entrance, and each of you kill his brother, his friend, and his neighbor. The Levites did as Moses commanded in about 3000 men fell dead that day among the people afterward. Today you have been dedicated to the Lord since each of you. Each man went against his son and his brother. Therefore you have brought a blessing on yourselves today. Okay, here's what I think happened. Moses came down, yelled at his brother, as he should have, and probably many, many more people had been involved in in Golden calf worship. But Aaron stopped, as did the rest of Israel. But 3000 were like, we're not going to listen to Moses. We're going to persist. And those are the ones that perished, the ones that would not stop worshiping the golden calf when Moses put a stop to it. That's why. And Aaron had put a stop to it in his own life. He wasn't even doing it. He was just stupidly, you know, those are my people. I must lead them. Let me. Let me do whatever they want. That is ridiculous. So, yeah, but that's what he did. Yeah. And by the way, what follows after that are all the Levitical laws. Uh, the Priestly Code follows because Aaron was a failure as a priest. So they had to get more laws for the priest. So.
S11: Um, can I ask you one more question.
S1: Related to this? Uh.
S11: Well, it's about Moses.
S7: Okay. Go ahead.
S11: When Moses, uh, it says that Moses can see the Promised land. He couldn't go in it because of his sin. But he saw the Promised Land. Did Aaron go into the Promised Land?
S7: No.
S1: Both. Aaron died before Moses did. Before, even while they were still in the wilderness wanderings. And in Leviticus, it tells us, remember that it's the whole story that Moses struck, not Leviticus. In, uh, in numbers. Moses struck the rock twice.
S12: Mhm. Yeah. Okay.
S11: Well thank you very much for taking my question. It it really helped me with Aaron.
S9: We are having technical difficulties again with Michael. Um, and so we, um, we will uh, checking the clock here. We are going to try and reconnect with him. Um, and our next caller is Marlena in Cleveland, Ohio. Marlena, go ahead with your question on Open Line.
S13: Okay. Uh, a Jewish friend of mine asked me this question. Jesus remembered the Passover by participating in a Seder. If Jesus did it, why don't Christians practice this today?
S9: Um, that is a great question. And I know Michael thinks that, um, that people should I mean, it is a good thing to do. It is not required. Um, um, it is not a required thing by Christians to do to live under the Jewish feasts. However, it can shed great light on, um, I think it gives a lot of great. Um. It helps. It gives a fuller understanding of what was happening at the Passover and remembering that, um, what was happening, um, when, when they were doing. Okay, we've got Michael back. Michael. Not much time. But you want to try and you want to try and help Marlena. I told her that there's it is not required for Christians to celebrate and do Seder services, but it does give great, um, addition to help us understand them.
S1: Yeah, it's kind of fun. And I would say every time you have the Lord's Supper, in a sense you're having a little mini Seder, and that's something that we're supposed to do. And then I think a full seder is great, but there's no obligation to do it. It's just a meaningful thing. And it's. I have to tell you, uh, there are so many believers that agree with you that it's meaningful, that if I wanted to spend every day for the month of April and part of March Speaking someplace and leading a Seder. I would have a very full, full time because many, many believers would like that. So.
S7: Absolutely.
S1: Yeah. And that's why it's good that people learn. Anyway, thanks for your call, Marlena. Sorry about the glitch and thanks. That's the program for this week. Thanks for listening, everyone, and thanks to the Open Line team. Tricia. Omar. Lisa, thanks for all that you do. Keep in touch with Open Line during the week by going to our web page, Open Line radio.org. It's got all the links you're looking for. Link to our current resource, how to become a Kitchen Table Partner, and also a link to my personal web page if you're interested in traveling with me and studying. Keep reading the Bible. We're going to talk about it next week. Open line with Doctor Michael Ray Dolnick is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute. See you next.
S14: Week.