S1: Question do you know what modern country the biblical story of Esther is based in? The answer is Iran. Now what if we really understood the people, the culture, the history of Iran? How would that inform our reading of Esther? Coming up, a conversation with someone born and raised in Iran who has fresh insights on the story of Esther. This is the land and the book. Our team consists of noted Old Testament scholar Charlie Dyer, producer Dan Anderson, and I'm John Geiger, a guy who loves to ask questions. Well, you know, Charlie, Passover will soon be upon us. And one of the traditional Passover questions is what makes this night different from all others? Passover is just such an important biblical holiday that has great meaning for Jewish people and believers in Jesus. And I think this is a great question to ask.
S2: It is a great question to ask, and if you want to learn more about what makes Passover so special. Well, our friends at Life in Messiah are offering to mail you a free copy of their Messianic Passover Haggadah. The booklet will lead you through the celebration of Passover to see the rich connections to Jesus, our Messiah, and the Last Supper. You'll also receive a link for an interactive Passover Seder video with the Haggadah and video. You can celebrate Passover this year with your family and friends. To get this free offer, just go to Life in Messiah org and click on the radio button to find out more and to request your copy. That's life in Messiah.
S1: If you're new to the broadcast, this is segment one of four in which we look at current events, things happening in the Middle East this week and last week, Charlie, we discussed the political turmoil roiling Israel as the ruling coalition faced a series of crucial votes in the Knesset, with a March 31st deadline just a few days remaining in the month. Where does everything stand right now?
S2: You know, Prime Minister Netanyahu appears to have retained his title as the undisputed political chess master of Israel. Just over a week ago, he appeared to be facing an impossible situation with a razor thin majority in the Knesset. The ultra-Orthodox party said they wouldn't vote for the budget unless the Knesset first passed a bill granting military draft exemption for the ultra-Orthodox man. Now, without their support, Netanyahu didn't have enough votes to pass the budget, meaning the coalition would collapse. But then he reached a deal with Ben-Gvir, bringing the members of his party and their votes back into the coalition and providing enough votes to pass a budget even without the ultra-Orthodox. In the end, the ultra-Orthodox parties were forced to back down and agree to vote for the budget. To get the budget passed on time, the Knesset House Committee invoked a clause in the parliamentary rulebook to limit total debate on the budget to 15 hours, which went all night Monday. They also limited amendment votes, allowing just 35 votes on textual clauses and three votes per budget item. As a result, the budget passed Tuesday by a final vote of 66 to 52. By the end of the week, the hotly contested judicial selection bill also passed its final reading. The bill increases political control over judicial appointments. Currently, a nine member judicial selection committee makes all judicial appointments while the governments represented on the committee they're a minority. The judiciary basically gets to choose its own replacements. The new system removes two representatives from the Israel Bar Association and replaces them with two lawyers, one chosen by the coalition and the second by the opposition. Appointments are approved by majority vote, but must include at least one vote each from a representative of the coalition, one from the opposition, and one from the Supreme Court, giving all sides a veto. And the law doesn't take effect until after the next parliamentary election. It appears to be a fair compromise, though it's still opposed by some. And in the midst of dealing with all of those items, the cabinet passed a vote of no confidence in the current attorney general, which could lead to her dismissal. And they also voted to dismiss the head of Shin Bet, Israel's security agency. Israel's Supreme Court has temporarily blocked both those decisions and will hear arguments from those opposed to the actions. And this gets back to the heart of the dispute between the government and the courts, who has the ultimate authority. I'm sure this will play out in coming months, so we'll definitely be revisiting it again.
S1: Well, Israel's political struggles are not unique. Turkey seems to be matching Israel's drama with its own. As the mayor of Istanbul, who was assumed to be President Erdogan's main opponent in the next election, was arrested for corruption and terrorism. What do we know about these charges? Are they trumped up?
S2: Well, according to Erdogan, there's no connection between the arrest and the fact that this individual was just days away from being chosen to lead his party and challenge Erdogan in the next election. Again, according to Erdogan, it's just a coincidence that Istanbul's chief prosecutor and Turkey's, quote, independent judiciary at this time decided to arrest him along with scores of others in his party. In all honesty, John, that's just hard to believe. Ekrem Imamoglu is, or at least was, mayor of Istanbul. He's young, dynamic and he defeated Erdogan's party's candidate for mayor of Istanbul twice. The arrest took place just days before Emmanuel was due to be selected as his party's candidate for the next presidential election. According to Turkey's constitution, Erdogan's time in power ends with the next election scheduled for 2028. But many believe he was planning to call for early elections and then change the constitution to allow him to continue on as president indefinitely. In addition to being arrested. Istanbul University nullified Emmanuel's university diploma for what they described as alleged irregularities in his transfer from a private university 30 years ago. This move also bars him from running for president, since the position requires candidates to be university graduates. The court ordered Emmanuel to be jailed pending trial on the corruption charges. They rejected the request to have him imprisoned on terror related charges, though he still faces prosecution on them. But since he is already in jail, that really doesn't matter. The question for Turkey right now is how will this play out? This is widely seen as a political move on the part of Erdogan to sideline one individual who stood a good chance of defeating him in the next presidential race. Right now, this looks more like a conspiracy or a coup against Emmanuel, rather than just a series of coincidences, as Erdogan might claim.
S1: And of course, Americans like us wonder, why don't the people speak up? Why is there no opposition? Why does he get away with this?
S2: Well, 1500 people did speak up and have been arrested and are now in jail. Erdogan has very heavy handed in dealing with opposition.
S1: From Moody Radio. This is the land and the book. Doctor Charlie Dyer, our host. I'm John Gager, working our way through a list of stories that have unfolded this week in the Middle East. Well, Armageddon is in the news. And this time, though, the focus is on the past, not the future. What's the latest archaeological news from the ancient site of Megiddo? Biblical Armageddon?
S2: Well, two reports have focused on excavations at Megiddo. The first highlighted the discovery of an Egyptian military presence at the site in 609 BC. Large amounts of Egyptian and Greek pottery confirmed the presence of Egyptian forces and their Greek mercenaries there at that time. Now, this isn't a surprise to those who know the Bible, because the Bible records the death of King Josiah, Judah's last good king, there, at Megiddo in 609 BC. Second Kings 2329 says As Josiah marched out to meet Pharaoh Necho in battle, but Necho faced him and killed him at Megiddo. Apparently, the Egyptians then occupied Megiddo to control the strategic pass there through Mount Carmel. The second discovery at Megiddo dates from after the time of the New Testament. Archaeologists have uncovered a Roman military base that housed the Roman Sixth Legion, the so-called ironclad Legion. The camp was so large that only a small part it's actually been excavated so far. The rest was mapped using ground penetrating radar. Megiddo controlled the international highway at a strategic choke point and looked out over the Jezreel Valley. Archaeology is uncovering some of the history that helps demonstrate why the Hill of Megiddo was so important militarily. And from the Book of Revelation, we know this site will play a strategic role in the world's final conflict leading up to the return of Jesus. So the Hill of Megiddo, Armageddon has a role in the past, militarily and in the future.
S1: Charlie, how likely is it that visitors, you know, a few years from now, will see something different than what we have been experiencing when we tour? Megiddo?
S2: Uh, well, actually, if they if they know where to look, you know, where the tunnel goes down and out of the city? Yes. Uh, the water tunnel. Well, right next to that is where they were excavating and finding the Egyptian and Greek material. Uh, the Roman camp is down, actually, in the valley just at the foot of Megiddo. And so hopefully that at some point will also be open archaeologically.
S1: Well, moving from Megiddo to Jerusalem, archaeologists continue to excavate inside the church of the Holy Sepulchre. What have they uncovered?
S2: Well, you know, there's a debate over the exact location of Calvary and the tomb. We need to remember that the exact location isn't what's important. What's important is the reality that Jesus died on the cross for our sins in Jerusalem, that he was buried and that he rose from the dead. Now, I love the garden tomb, but my head tells me that the church of the Holy Sepulchre is likely the spot where the events actually took place, and that's why these excavations are so important. Archaeologists are currently exploring below the floor surrounding the Edicule, the building where the tomb was. They knew the area was originally used as a quarry, and after the quarry went out of use, they've now discovered it was turned into an agricultural site. Tombs were carved into the sides of the former quarry, and low stone walls were erected inside the area, and the space between them was filled with dirt. Archaeobotanical and pollen analysis of that dirt shows that the area grew olive trees and grapevines. This matches the Apostle John's description of the area around the tomb. He wrote. Now, in the place where he was crucified, there was a garden, and in the garden a new sepulchre. Now these current excavations don't resolve the debate between the two potential sites, but they do help show us that both sites match the details found in the Bible.
S1: Wow. That's interesting Charlie, thank you for that update on both Megiddo and Armageddon and our new stories as well. Coming up next, a look at Esther from someone who grew up in Iran, the country where Esther is based. That's all ahead on today's edition of The Land and the book from Moody Radio. An impossible dream, a forbidden romance, a mysterious book a simple cook navigates through heartache and danger in Sousa's ancient kitchens. Along the journey, she becomes Queen Esther's treasured friend. The story is fiction, yeah, but it sheds light on the life of the biblical character we know as Esther. I think you'll enjoy this conversation coming up on the land and the book. Hey, welcome back to segment two. I'm John Gager, inviting you to pause with me for this creative idea in loving our Muslim neighbors and coworkers for Christ. So you're standing in line at the bank and the teller is a muslim woman. May you talk to her or should you not? Let's ask Stefano. Affair with call of Hope.
S3: Well, you are not embarrassing her if you talk to her. No problem. In business life, that's okay. And even in many Muslim countries, that's totally normal. When you enter into Dubai or Qatar, there will be a woman issuing your visa, so that's fine. But that does not mean that you should go into a conversation for sure. Not about your faith with a muslim woman. This is something you should leave to your wife, to your sister, to your friend at church. Let them talk to this Muslim woman. But in business life, and when they talk to you and when they wish you a good day. Oh, of course you reply. But don't shake hands.
S1: And any other engagement with a muslim woman should, in a social setting, should definitely be woman to woman.
S3: Absolutely. Or you take your wife with you. You know, that's also possible. You can And be there as a couple.
S1: Okay. Stefano Ferrer is with call of Hope U.S. Practical Insights for sharing Jesus with your Muslim friends. Born in the Middle East, Tessa Afshar spent her teen years in England and later moved to the United States. Her conversion to Christianity in her 20s changed the course of her life. She holds a master of Divinity from Yale, where she served as the co-chair of the Evangelical Fellowship for a year. Tessa is a devoted wife, a mediocre gardener. At least that's her statement. I doubt that, and an enthusiastic cook of biblical recipes. You may know her best, though, for her many books. Tessa's ancient historical fiction has been on several bestseller lists and has been translated into Get This 12 languages. Her novels have won many awards, and Tessa is one of my wife's very favorite authors. It's an honor to welcome you back to the land and the book. Tessa.
S4: I'm so delighted to join you and your listeners. John. Thank you for asking me.
S1: So the setting for your novel, which of course, is intricately woven together with the biblical account of Esther, takes place in the ancient city of Susa. And I'm told that Susa was located in the lower Zagros Mountains of southwest Iran, a vital center in the ancient Near East, the capital of Elam. What else can you tell us about Susa?
S4: Well, of course, at the time the nation was called Persia, and it was the greatest nation that the world had seen. It was an empire that had broken all the records of size up until that point. They spread from India to Egypt, and because of that they had five capitals, not just one. And Susa was one of those capital. Susa was an ancient city. It was a city that had been already quite great long before the Persians came to power. The king before the one who married Esther, After Darius had taken that Susa that had at the time sort of fallen on hard times, and he had built it up again, and he had made it grand again, and he had transformed it into one of the capitals of Persia. I believe that Esther probably grew up in this very area. She, at a very young age, lost her parents and was raised by Mordecai, who was a cousin, and although she grew up as a Jew, she grew up probably in a Jewish neighborhood. She grew up with the teachings of the Lord. So even though she would have grown up in the same city that Persians ruled and Persians lived in, she would still have had her own sort of separate existence, if that makes sense.
S1: Okay. Our guest today on the land and the book is Tessa Afshar. Born in the Middle East, she brings us unique insights into the life of Queen Esther using the tool of fiction. Here's an odd question what do we know about the diet of folks in Susa during Esther's day? What did they eat? Or do we really not know?
S4: So the Persians liked meat a lot, and in a given palace they probably would have had about a thousand animals that would be roasted for the day, because they didn't just feed the courtiers and the king and his family, but they also said the soldiers, his special guard who were called the immortals and the guests, and then the servants who worked in the palace, got to take the leftovers home with them. It was one of the perks of working in the palace. Now we also know that they had wine and grapes and figs and a whole bunch of other things. A lot of spices.
S1: Well, I like this idea of of takeout. That sounds good to me.
S5: Nice benefit.
S1: Well, ultimately, if I've got my history correct here, Esther is chosen to be the queen of Xerxes, who ruled from 486 to about 465 BC. What do we know about this king that might help us better understand Esther and the challenges that she faced?
S4: So Xerxes was the son of Darius. He was the grandson of Cyrus the Great. So right before the story of Esther. So at the time that the whole problem arose with Haman sort of coming up with this terrible edict and convincing the king to set all the Jews in all the 127 provinces to death. Right before this, Esther had been married for five years. And when you look at the years before this and up to his marriage to Esther, we find that Xerxes had been through a lot of difficulties. So he had lost a war to Greece. There had been some several terrible battles, and a lot of Persians had been killed. And then right after that, there were a couple of serious uprisings. One was in Babylon that he had to put out these fires, and he'd just been going from one hard thing to another to another. And by the time we meet him in the book of Esther, we get a sense he drinks too much. He doesn't trust his own judgment. You know, he's not in a good place. So I think for Esther at that time, on the one hand, there are certain things that are good about him, because we realize that as soon as he recognizes that he's made an error, that he has put his trust in Haman, who's a terrible person, he immediately sort of pulls back and tries to do what he can to put it to right, to put his mistakes to right. So there are some really good things about him, but I assume that when Esther first married him, he was a bit of a mess.
S1: If you're just joining us, this is the land and the book. I'm John Gager. We're talking with Tessa Afshar, who's written the fictional work The Queen's Cook, based in the times of the biblical Queen Esther, and with some wonderful imagination and a bit of creative license. You've crafted this novel The Queen's Cook. Give us a brief overview.
S4: So you know, John. So many people have written wonderful books about Esther, and because I was myself born in Persia, and Esther has always meant a lot to me, and I always wanted to come back and do something about her. But I also felt like her life had been covered really well by movies and books. So I decided to write a series of three books based on Esther's fictional friends. So on the one hand, I can go to town and just write a story kind of more freely about people who don't exist. But on the other hand, I can also show a little bit about Esther's world, about the Persian world, about the different characters who lived in that world, the different backgrounds who lived in that world by showcasing people who are from different backgrounds. So the first Character is a young woman who is from a Persian background, and she ends up becoming a cook in Esther's kitchens. Now there were almost 300 cooks in each palace.
S5: Really?
S4: Yeah. And it's extraordinary. Now, they were supposed to clean up after themselves. There weren't that many cleaning servants, but the cooks had specialties. Some of them focused on dairy, some of them focused on dessert, some of them focused on main meals. So obviously there was a lot of focus on food. The Persians like their food. They like their sweets. They like their desserts.
S5: You know, I'm with them.
S4: Me too. Totally. I had such a blast just coming up.
S5: With.
S4: That part of the story and the research. The research included John cooking a lot, so that was great. My husband loved that. But the story is basically showcases Esther in first person. She pops up every once in a while through her secret scrolls telling her side of the story a little bit. But mostly it's the story of this young woman who becomes a cook.
S5: I have to ask.
S1: You, if you had an audience today with the biblical character Esther, just given a moment, what one question would you ask her if you were given only one?
S4: The Lord gave you such profound responsibility. Did you find happiness as you juggled that responsibility?
S5: Hmm.
S1: All right. What about you? As you're writing this? Anything that maybe caught you by surprise as you researched this book? I mean, as you said, you're of Persian descent. This is a home base for you. Any surprises.
S5: Though?
S4: Yeah, absolutely. I mean, I grew up in Persia, but I did not grow up a Christian, so I knew about the kings. But I'd never been told about Esther. And it wasn't until I became a Christian that then I started reading the Bible and I was like, hey, wait a minute. Like, these are my kings.
S5: These are my people.
S4: Um, you know, I went to school studying them, but I never heard about Esther. And it's actually not a surprise. Number one, Esther and Vashti. Neither of them. So the king's first wife. And neither of them are mentioned in any of the extra-biblical documents that we have from the Persians or from the Greeks, because the Greeks tell us a lot about what we know about the Persians, rather than the Persians themselves haven't left a lot, or what they have left has been destroyed. So I was surprised that the only wife of Xerxes that we hear about is a woman named Amestris. The question is, why is Esther not mentioned? But when I researched, I found out one fact about the Persians. They only recorded the names of the wives of the king who bore him children. So it is not surprising that Vashti isn't mentioned that Esther isn't mentioned. If they did not bear him children, then they would not have been in the records. So whereas Amestris gave him several children and it's one of her sons who then becomes Artaxerxes, the following king, we do hear from Josephus. Josephus mentions Esther in his book, but Josephus is 75 A.D. so we're talking over 400 years after the events of the Book of Esther. So that was kind of a fun insight into why Esther is not mentioned outside the Bible. And another insight that I had when I was studying the book was Esther's initial response to Mordecai. As you probably know this first when Mordecai says, but who knows that you were brought to royal position for such a time as this? It's such a blessing that verse to so many of us, because it reminds us that God has not brought us to this particular time, this particular season, this particular location, even by happenstance that we are here for a reason. Yes, for this season. And it's very encouraging. But originally when you read the context and Mordecai says those words to Esther, I think he doesn't mean them necessarily all sweet and lovey dovey. He means them as a little bit of a slap to the back of Esther's hand, because he has brought to him the problem of the people he brought to her. He has said to her, our people are about to die. Will you go and intercede with the King on our behalf? And yet, Esther's first response. She doesn't say the words I can't, but more or less that's what she's saying. She says, look, everybody knows if I come before the King without being sent for the law, says, I shall be put to death. And he hasn't sent for me for 30 days. And essentially, what she's saying is, first of all, he's not going to send for me. And secondly, the king who hasn't sent for me in 30 days. She's basically saying, is not going to do that for me now. So her first response to Mordecai is, I can't do this. I'm useless to you. I have no authority. I have no influence with my husband. So Mordecai then tells her that verse because Mordecai knows for Esther she's only looking at her life through the past 30 days. She's looking through the lens of the 30 days where she has been a rejected wife. Her husband, for whatever reason after five years of marriage, has not sent for her, is not interested. We don't know why. The reason isn't given, but that's all she's looking at. She's looking at life through the lens of an abandoned and rejected wife. And Mordecai is saying, set that 30 days aside. It's God's such a time as this that matters. God's timing always trumps our 30 days. Set aside the lens of your past 30 days, 30 months, 30 years, whatever it is that's got you discouraged right now. And look at your life through the lens of God. Such a time as this.
S1: That's a lovely way to land this conversation. So much more to think about. And I love the way you help us wrestle with it all. Even if it's fiction. It is taking us to the biblical story and reminding us of important truths about God. Thank you, Tessa, for the book and for this conversation.
S4: It has been my absolute pleasure. Thank you for hanging out with me today.
S5: And.
S1: We'll look forward to another conversation in the future. Hey, coming up on the land and the book your friend in mind, Jerry Peterman taking a look at your Bible questions right here. It was written by more than 40 divinely inspired authors over a period of nearly 2000 years. The Bible. That's the focus of this third segment here on the land and the book, more specifically, your questions as you open your copy of the Bible. I'm John Yeager, about to be joined by our host, Doctor Gerald Peterman. Before we get to that though, let's ask ourselves what does Passover mean for us as believers in Jesus? Some will remember the story from the book of Exodus, but there's more to it. Did you know that the Last Supper was really a Passover meal, and that Jesus and his disciples celebrated Passover, but it also foreshadowed his death on the cross for our redemption. Now, Jewish people, of course, have been observing the feast of Passover for thousands of years. So understanding its history, its importance will help us better connect with our Jewish friends, our Jewish neighbors. And boy, what better way to do that than to experience a Passover Seder yourself? If you've never celebrated Passover well, our friends at Life in Messiah would love to partner with you in hosting a Seder experience. Every year, their staff engage with churches and small groups in an interactive Messiah in the Passover Seder, allowing participants to taste and see the redemption story. So bottom line, if you're interested in having somebody come to lead a Seder in your area. Just head to life in Messiah Dot and click on the Moody Radio button there to learn more. That's life in Messiah. All right. Let me say welcome to Doctor Gerald Peterman. Always good to have you in the studio.
S6: Oh it's a pleasure to be here.
S1: What's the best thing about working with students at Moody? What do you like about that?
S6: Oh, wow. Do I have to pick just one thing?
S1: No. You can choose.
S5: Several.
S6: My goodness. Um. They're young, they're energetic. Yeah. And, um, they just want to learn. They just soak it up, and they will stop by the office and want to talk about life and what's going on in life. Uh, it's just a really blessed time to be welcomed into many young lives and try to give them some encouragement. I just love it.
S1: Now, I take it you've been here. How long on faculty?
S6: This is my 23rd year.
S1: 23 years. So I would guess that you're kind of pro. The idea of parents who are listening, grandparents who are listening, sending their kids to Moody as a as a.
S6: Oh, I'm totally pro sending your grandchildren to Moody or sending your children to Moody? Totally, bro.
S1: Yeah, it's a great environment. Our kids went here, and if their kids know what's good for them, why, they'll come.
S5: Here, too.
S1: All right, let's get to question number one. This is from me. Uh, last year, our pastor encouraged our small group to memorize Romans eight, all 39 verses. It was a struggle, but we got through it. But of course, you can't help but memorize something and not wonder about it. In particular, Romans eight says the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the spirit is life and peace, because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God, for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so. And those who are in the flesh cannot please God. All right, so here's my question. Since I do continue to sin in this life, just ask my wife or our producer, Dan Anderson, what is an objective measuring standard that I can use to know if I am more about the flesh than the spirit?
S6: Okay. Um, I don't think there is an objective measure, but I'll not leave you there. Okay. Okay. That is. I think there is a reliable subjective measure. We are talking about a relationship. We're talking about a relationship we have with God. And relationships always have their ups and downs. So what are we looking for? We're looking for this. Am I more obedient this year than last? Am I more loving this year than last year? Am I more anxious for worship and enjoying it more this year than last year? And you can discern these things in your own heart and mind before God. So I would use these questions. These are questions based on passing time. Am I being transformed? If you're being transformed, that is the work of the spirit. And then I'd get other people involved in here too. You mentioned your wife like asking her, honey, how have I been growing? And where do I still need to grow?
S5: Yeah.
S6: And she will give you an honest answer. Thanks be to God. Right. And because she knows you.
S5: That's right.
S6: And so she can see. Here's where you are changing. And again, that is the work of God's Spirit. And here's where you need to change. And that's the work of God's Spirit in her to direct you. So I would use these valuable subjective tools of relationship to answer the question.
S1: Okay, here's a question about the messianic Psalms. Why do they sometimes seem to have bits and pieces of messianic references, but then they transition to other content? Why not make these references more apparent? I don't understand the weaving in and out of a different scenario or different context.
S6: There is a total weaving in and out and it can surprise us or maybe even frustrate us. The revelation about Messiah we see in Psalms, and indeed the revelation of the whole Old Testament unfolds slowly. Let me illustrate it this way. Imagine you meet a new friend at church, and you talk and your relationship grows and you continue to talk and you go out for coffee and you have them over for dinner and you talk some more, and then years go on in your relationship. And that is about early on your relationship. Your conversations more shallow. And as it goes on, it's deeper and deeper and deeper. So God is revealing himself, but he doesn't download all the terabytes of his data. In Genesis one. He unfolds it slowly. And then that shows up in the Messianic Psalms, because the Psalm is relevant to the people of God when it's written. So David writes a song, a psalm, it gets sung in worship. It's relevant to its time period. But then there'll also be hints, as you mentioned, also be hints in it about the Messiah, and those things get all pieced together. Psalm after psalm after psalm after psalm after psalm. And by the time we get to the end of the Psalm, then look back on them, we say, oh, these 150 are telling us many, many, many things about the Messiah, but not all at once. It's over the course of generations that it gets told.
S1: Yeah, I'm intrigued with the the revelation of Jesus in the Old Testament in general. That's why I'm so intrigued with the the scene with Jesus on the road to Emmaus with those two. They're upset because Jesus has been crucified. And, you know, don't you even know about this? They don't know who he is. And if I if I'm quoting the phrase right, it says. And then Jesus began to show them from Moses and the prophets everything that had to do with him. So just the thought that Moses, we're talking Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, numbers, Deuteronomy, the prophets are all pointing to Jesus. That's mind blowing.
S6: That's right. The whole Old Testament looks forward to Christ. The whole Old Testament. Not every single verse, but the Old Testament as a whole looks forward to him. This is what Jesus is talking about in Matthew five. Do not think I've come to abolish the law and the prophets. I I've not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them because they look forward to me, right? I added that portion in. They look forward. They look forward to him. So his arrival fulfills them.
S1: And then what does that say about, I think, a little bit of a tendency and maybe you'll disagree, but it seems to me that a lot of churches today are just not real big on the Old Testament. We're missing.
S5: Out.
S6: Sadly. Sadly, we're not big on the Old Testament, folks. Please forgive me. The Old Testament is two thirds of your Bible. That is the Word of God. It is rich. Rich. So we ought to spend more time there.
S1: That's Doctor Gerald Peterman answering Bible questions today on the land and the book. You should know that we would love to entertain your question, whatever it might be about Scripture prophecy, the land of Israel. Here's how you connect with an email. You write us at the land and the book at Moody. That's the land and the book at Moody. All right. I have another question from Matthew, chapter 26. In verse 28, Jesus says to his disciples as they eat the Last Supper, This is my blood of the covenant which is being poured out for many for forgiveness of sins. At first glance, the verse appears to be saying, Jesus blood is not for the forgiveness of all, just many. Can you please explain this unsettling feeling I have?
S6: Oh, I can totally understand that unsettling feeling. There are two things to keep in mind that I think are going to help us. First, we should think about the word many as in contrast to few rather than many as in contrast to all. This is an Old Testament way of thinking. I'm thinking especially about Daniel 12 verse two, a very important verse, and it says, and many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. That's resurrection. Yeah, right. But we know from John chapter five that every human being will be resurrected, but two different destinies. Right? Right. So whereas John says everyone will be resurrected, Daniel says many, many in contrast to few rather than many, in contrast to all or none. So that's the first thing to keep in mind. The second thing to keep in mind is when our Lord talks about the covenant and the pouring out of his blood in Matthew 26, I take it he's drawing on Isaiah 53 and using its language. What do we find there? We find the suffering servant will justify the many, as he will bear their iniquities. And he poured out his soul and was numbered among the transgressors. Yet he himself bore the sin of many, and interceded for the transgressors. What does many mean here? I take it many is a great number. So our Lord Jesus is drawing on this language from Isaiah 53.
S5: Okay.
S1: Well, a great question and thank you for your patience. Boy, many questions come to mind right when we open the Word of God. And if you've got one that you'd like to send our way, please know it's welcome again to connect with us via email at The Land and the Book at Moody's. That's the land, and the book at Moody's takes just a couple of days, or maybe a week at the very most, and you'll get an answer. And then we might just use your question in a future edition of our broadcast. Have you downloaded the podcast option yet? Have you shared it with a friend? It's a great way to extend this ministry. We don't have an advertising budget, but we do have you. And if you like what you're hearing, why not pass along the word about our podcast? You'll find it at the Land and the book org. Looking forward to connecting with your friend in mind. Charlie Dyer. He's next. It's a vanishing species. The handwritten letter. Hi, I'm John Geiger. This is the land and the book. Think about.
S5: It.
S1: When was the last time you received a letter that was written by hand? You know, there are legal letters. Of course there are love letters. But are. Our host, Charlie Dyer, is leading us in a devotional series that takes us to the Lachish letters. Charlie, is that right?
S2: That's exactly right, John.
S1: All right. Where are we headed to, biblically speaking?
S2: Well, we're heading to the city of Lachish, just about 20 miles southwest of Jerusalem.
S1: All right. Looking forward to that devotional right after this perspective from an Israel traveler who's back with this thought for you and me.
S7: This is Grady Hauser. I think when we got back from Israel, we've often said, I've studied the Bible and the scriptures for 50 years. And yet, after coming back from Israel, we have we've often said that it was like reading in black and white before, and now you're reading in color. I'm sure that's not original with us, but it was certainly true for us, our experience. I would think of a couple of things very briefly, to go to the Sea of Galilee and to be on the northwest shore, and to realize that possibly within a few hundred yards, give or take, up and down that shore, you're looking at the very spot where Jesus would have talked to and Peter and John, and to have called them from their fishing to follow him. Or perhaps also, I would think of how meaningful it was to go to Caesarea Philippi and to realize why it was that Jesus walked all that way up there with his disciples, to tell them that I will build my church, and the gates of hell will not prevail against it. And what that would have meant for them sitting there at Caesarea Philippi, at that pagan shrine.
S1: Our Bibles are open now to Jeremiah chapter 34. Charlie, I think that's where you want to take us in your devotional today.
S2: That's right. And we're at the seventh in my series of 11 devotionals that I'm calling 11 inscriptions to the Bible. These are written inscriptions uncovered by archaeologists that give us new insight into our understanding of the Bible. And today's journey takes us to the Shfela, the low foothills to the southwest of Jerusalem, to visit the site of ancient Lachish. If you ask me to pick the most amazing site in Israel not visited by most tourists, I would choose this spot. It's possible you don't even recall reading about Lachish in the Bible. And even if you've been to Israel, unless you were on a study tour, it's likely you never visited the site. So why does it rank so high on my list of amazing places? And what's the inscription that was discovered here? Well, first let me tell you about the site. Lachish was the second largest city in the Kingdom of Judah at the time of the First Temple. The only city that was larger was Jerusalem, and it played a significant role in Bible history. It was one of the five cities in the coalition that attacked Gibeon at the time of Joshua. Later, following Solomon's death, Lachish was one of the 15 cities fortified by King Rehoboam to guard against attack. Another of Judah's kings was assassinated there, and the city was eventually attacked and destroyed by both King Sennacherib of Assyria and King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon. Both knew the strategic importance of this city for the defense of the Kingdom of Judah. It was so important that Sennacherib decorated a room in his palace with a series of reliefs showing its capture. I also like Lachish because of its archaeological potential. The city had to have a way to get water inside the walls, but it hasn't yet been discovered. One thing that has been uncovered, though, is the massive gate complex to the city. Standing at the foot of the hill and looking up at the foundations of the gate. I can see why Sennacherib boasted about capturing the city, but the inscription we want to look at today dates to just over a century after the time of Sennacherib. The enemy camped outside Lachish isn't Assyria, it's Babylon. King Nebuchadnezzar has just sent his army to Judah for the third time, and this time he'll accept nothing less than the total destruction of this nation that has dared to rebel against him. The campaign against Judah was long and ferocious. Nebuchadnezzar began by systematically moving his army through the land, methodically eliminating one city after another. Toward the end, only three major cities remained. Jeremiah described it this way. Then Jeremiah the prophet spoke all these words to Zedekiah, king of Judah and Jerusalem. When the army of the king of Babylon was fighting against Jerusalem and against all the remaining cities of Judah, that is, Lachish and Azekah. For they alone remained as fortified cities among the cities of Judah. Lachish, Azekah, and Jerusalem. Every other major town was gone, captured, destroyed. And now Nebuchadnezzar could concentrate his forces on these three remaining fortress cities. But in what order did they fall? To find the answer, we need to go inside the gate here in Lachish. So follow me up the ramp. When archaeologists excavated the plaza between the outer and inner gates of Lachish, they came across 20 pieces of broken pottery with words written on them. In this era, before papyrus or parchment was widely available, the quickest way to pen a note was to write it out on a piece of broken pottery. These pieces were found right where we're standing. A large replica of one is on display right here. The originals are in the British Museum, so today this replica will have to suffice. These notes were written to the commanding officer at Lachish by one of the army units out in the field. They were military reports intended to keep the commander informed. I want to take you back in time to the moment when this particular letter arrived. Imagine you're sitting here with the commander of the forces at Lachish. It's the middle of the night, and the soldiers on duty have just used a rope to pull an exhausted soldier over the wall. He's out of breath, partly from running for several miles and partly out of fear and exhaustion. He just snaked his way through the Babylonian lines with a message from the commander in the field. You listen intently as the city scribe reads the faint writing on the broken piece of pottery, squinting as he tries to make out the letters in the light of a flickering oil lamp. May God cause my Lord to hear this very day tidings of good. And now, according to everything which my Lord has sent, this has your servant done. I wrote on the sheet according to everything which you sent me. And inasmuch as my Lord has sent me concerning the matter of there's no one there. And as for Samuccaya, Shemaiah took him and sent him up to the city. And may my lord be appraised that we're watching for the signal fires of Lachish, according to all the signs which my lord has given, because we cannot see Azekah. The evening signal fires were a means of communication. The cities could signal to each other, and they could also use beacons to communicate with the army in the field. The distance between Lachish and Azekah was 11 miles. 11 miles of strategic territory that guarded the roadways from the coast into the hill country of Judah. But now the lights of Azekah, one of the two remaining cities anchoring the region, had gone out. The message was clear. Azekah had fallen. After the fall of Azekah, Nebuchadnezzar's forces continued their assault on Lachish and Jerusalem. We don't know how much longer it took, but Lachish was the next to fall. And that left only Jerusalem. Finally, on July 18th, 586 BC, the Babylonians broke through the walls of Jerusalem after a 30 month siege. The city had been starved into submission. All the food was gone. Some of the people had even resorted to cannibalism. The final assault met with little resistance, and the Babylonians pushed their way through the city in a murderous rampage of looting and revenge. Azekah, Lachish and Jerusalem. Like dominoes, each fell in order. The last of the cities standing against Babylon. And the letters discovered in the gate here at Lachish help us reconstruct the order of their fall. As we head back to the bus and get ready to board. Is there a lesson we can carry away from these broken pieces of pottery found in the city gate at Lachish? I think there is, and it's a sobering reminder to our own generation. In Jeremiah 34 to 39, the prophet records the final collapse of the Kingdom of Judah, including the city of Lachish, but much earlier in his ministry, at a time when such a thing couldn't even be imagined. Jeremiah had issued a warning to those who thought they could disregard God with impunity. An appalling and horrible thing has happened to the land. The prophets prophesy falsely, and the priests rule in their own authority, and my people love it so. But what will you do at the end of it? These broken pieces of pottery remind us that there is a price to pay for ignoring, disregarding, and disobeying God. We can choose our actions, but we can't choose the consequences. Just ask the people who once lived in Azekah, Lachish, and Jerusalem. Now, if you'd like to see a photo of the Lachish Letter four on display in the city gate, or one of the other inscriptions that's on display in the British Museum, just head over to our land in the book Facebook page where I've posted them.
S1: Thank you, Charlie, for the devotional and as well for posting those photos. I love going to the Facebook page and doing exactly what you're suggesting. There are lots of great things to see. Appreciate that. Well, it's always a great visit with Charlie Dyer, our host, and with you, we want to say thank you to this station for carving out air time for the land and the book. I'm John Gager The Land and the book is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.