S1: Just who was Mary Magdalene in the Bible? You know, one touch from Jesus, and she was never the same. Her new mission in life was to serve the one who set her free. Well, on today's broadcast, you'll meet Mary Magdalene in a fascinating conversation with Jill Ileene Smith. Plus, we'll unwrap the mystery of the Cyrus Cylinder. You say? What's that? You'll find out. And while we're at it, we'll try to unwrap some of the mysteries that you've encountered as you read Scripture. Welcome to the land and the book with Old Testament scholar and Israel expert Doctor Charlie Dyer. I'm John Gager, and you know, Charlie Passover will soon be upon us. And one of the traditional Passover questions is, hey, what makes this night different from all others? Well, Passover is an important biblical holiday that has great meaning for Jewish people and believers in Jesus. And it seems like this is a great question to ask, right, Charlie?
S2: Oh, absolutely, John. And if you want to know more about what makes Passover so special. Well, our friends at Life in Messiah are offering to mail you a free copy of their Messianic Passover Haggadah. The booklet will lead you through the celebration of Passover to see the rich connections to Jesus, our Messiah, and the Last Supper. You'll also receive a link for an interactive Passover Seder video with the Haggadah on video. You can celebrate Passover this year with your family and friends. Now to get this free offer, just go to Life in Messiah org and click on the radio button to find out more and to request your copy. That's life in.
S1: Its segment one of the land and the book with our host, Charlie Dyer. We're looking at current events based in the Middle East. Well, March 28th was the final Friday of Ramadan, but it was also international cuts, or Jerusalem Day, when Iran backed allies marched to call for Israel's annihilation. As the month of Ramadan drew to an end, what's been happening in the conflict between Iran, Israel and the United States.
S2: Yeah. You know, International Quds Day serves as a reminder that Iran's leadership is actively committed to Israel's destruction and has been since the ayatollahs took over there back in 1979. This was actually the 46th year of that event. So what's been happening over the last few weeks? Well, a recent U.S. intelligence report said Iran isn't building a nuclear weapon. However, that report is misleading. Iran is not currently constructing a nuclear bomb, but they're preparing all the elements for that to be assembled. Power plants and hospitals use uranium enriched to between 3 and 5%. Iran now has £600 of uranium enriched to a purity level of 60%. At that level, it would only take around a week or so to further enrich it to 90%, which would give them sufficient uranium to produce 5 or 6 nuclear weapons. What isn't known is how far along Iran is in developing the technology to actually fashion and construct a nuclear device, but they've spent decades working on those details. Now, 70 years ago, it took the US just a few months to build the first atomic bombs. Once we had sufficient uranium and plutonium. Iran already has the missile technology to deliver a nuclear bomb several thousand miles, putting all the Middle East and most of Europe within range. So they might not yet actually be building a nuclear bomb, but the timeline for doing so is incredibly short once they make the decision to do so. President Trump issued an ultimatum in early March, giving Iran 60 days to enter into negotiations on a new nuclear treaty. And this past week, the US moved a group of B-2 stealth bombers and other aircraft to a base in the Indian Ocean. What's unclear, probably deliberately so, is if these bombers are there to attack the Houthis in Yemen or the nuclear sites in Iran. But the president did threaten to bomb Iran if they refused to make a deal suggesting the planes might be a warning to them. A second aircraft carrier is also on its way to the region, adding additional support for a possible US strike. Iran responded with threats to US bases in the region. They also unveiled an underground missile base that they claim housed thousands of ballistic and precision guided missiles, and they've said they've already installed the missiles on their launchers. Both sides are engaged in saber rattling, but there are also possible hints at a willingness to negotiate. But the time is starting to run out. We'll probably know in about another month whether something's going to happen for peace or for war.
S1: That's Doctor Charlie Dyer. This is the land and the book. I'm John Gage. We're looking at current events based in the Middle East. Israeli archaeologists have been excavating a 2200 year old pyramid near the southern end of the Dead Sea. What exactly is the structure being uncovered? What's it for? What might have been its purpose?
S2: Yeah, this is one of those where you have to read it a little bit below the the headlines to get all the details. Uh, Those who've been to Israel and stayed down at the southern end of the Dead Sea, and the hotels there, may have seen the general area where this discovery was made. On the drive from the Dead Sea toward Arad and Beersheba, the bus climbs up into the wilderness, and along the way there are several spots where you can look back to view the Dead Sea. That's the area where this discovery was made. But someone looking for a pyramid like the ones in Egypt would be disappointed. The pyramid like structure found here is about 19ft tall and blends in with the surrounding rock. Originally, the structure was a tower or a building that likely guarded the roadway from Edom, past the Dead Sea toward Gaza. So far, the excavators have uncovered papyrus fragments, wooden tools, fabrics, and coins from the Hellenistic period, sometime after the structure collapsed or was abandoned. The ruins were then reused by someone who fashioned it into a monumental grave for himself. While some artifacts from the grave were also discovered. The grave must have been looted a long time ago. Excavations at the site are continuing, so we'll provide an update should anything else of significance be discovered.
S1: How tall is this thing, do you think, Charlie?
S2: They say 19ft. So just under 20ft tall. But, uh, you know, it's so rocky in that area. It just looks like all the other rocks in the area. But, you know, as as they've explored over time, they did notice it was, you know, man made these rocks have been piled up. And then finally somebody decided, well, let's take a look and see what's there.
S1: Well, several news outlets in Israel reported on the release of CIA documents suggesting the discovery of the Ark of the covenant. Are these reports credible, or was that just an April Fool's Day joke?
S2: You know, if this story had appeared on April 1st, I would have just assumed it was an April Fool's Day joke, but it actually was published before April 1st. The essence of the story is that declassified government documents from 1988 show the CIA conducting a secret project to test the possibility of using ESP or other psychic powers to locate the Ark of the covenant. Kind of thinking of the theme from the Raiders of the Lost Ark at this point. But during the experiment, the term Ark of the covenant was written down. Placed in an envelope and then a remote, viewers were asked to identify and locate the object. Without knowing what it was. During the experiment, one individual described a container made of wood, gold, or silver, similar in shape to a coffin adorned with images of six winged angels. The individual also said the object was hidden. They said subterranean, dark, wet, suggesting it still exists, though concealed. So, you know, really, what are we to make of these reports and this experiment? Well, I got three quick thoughts. First, this could simply be a case of a lucky guess by someone with an overactive imagination. Remember Raiders of the Lost Ark? The movie was released in 1981, and filming was underway for the 1989 sequel at the time of this experiment. Now, when asked to find something that was lost. It's possible the person simply thought of the Ark of the covenant because of the movie. That second thought there could be something more sinister here. Demonic influence Satan and his forces can work through so-called psychic powers to reveal things that almost seem like ESP, and that's why we're to avoid things like that. My third thought, and here's what I think we really need to remember. None of this proves the existence of the real Ark of the covenant. In Jeremiah 316, God said, in the last days, men will no longer say, the ark of the covenant of the Lord. It won't enter their minds or be remembered. It won't be missed, nor will another one be made. You know when the glory of the Lord left the temple, the ark became nothing more than a gold covered box. So it's not hidden in a warehouse in the Middle East or in Washington, D.C., or anywhere else, according to the Bible.
S1: Yeah. Well, haven't you said before you your best suspicion is that it is long gone. It deteriorated.
S2: Yeah. Again, when God's glory left, it was just a wooden box taken to Babylon. And with all the gold that was used in it, it was melted down. And I don't think we're going to see it. The real one is in heaven. We know that the copy is no longer with us.
S1: Israeli researchers have uncovered the equivalent of a genetic on off switch that they believe could help pave the way for new treatments of some diseases. How exactly does this latest innovation from amazing Israel work, Charlie?
S2: Yeah, this seems to be so far beyond my pay grade, but I found it just fascinating in the process of mapping DNA methylation, a process where a small chemical tag is attached to a specific part of a DNA molecule. Israeli researchers gain insight into how genes are turned on and off. The researchers identified more than 34,000 genomic regions with distinct on off methylation patterns, many of which vary depending on the cell type. They also discovered previously unknown imprinting effects, where genes can be expressed differently depending on whether they're inherited from the mother or the father. The research opens up wide ranging possibilities for understanding the molecular basis of genetic diseases. One of the most immediate benefits could be the development of more accurate diagnostic tests for diseases like cancer or other genetic disorders. It also holds out promise for age related diseases like Alzheimer's. The Bible tells us that we are fearfully and wonderfully made, and this research from Amazing Israel shines a spotlight on one aspect of God's creation of our bodies that could someday lead to new, life changing advances in medicine. All thanks to these dedicated doctors and scientists and researchers from Hebrew University and Hadassah Medical Center.
S1: Thank you Charlie. And that's a look at current events. I'm curious, what is the Cyrus cylinder we'll be talking about later on?
S2: Well, it was actually a cylinder found in Iran that helps explain Isaiah 44 and his mention of Cyrus.
S1: Okay, biblical evidence there in archaeology, but much more to come on today's program before we get there, including our conversation with Jill Eileen Smith about Mary Magdalene. Just who was she? Why does her life matter still today? That's all ahead on today's edition of The Land and the book. All Mary has ever known is fear and loss. Until she uncovers a rabbi different than all the others. One touch from Jesus. And she is never the same. Her new mission in life is to serve the one who set her free. But when the unthinkable happens, she must fight not to descend into darkness once again. If you're curious, we're talking about Mary Magdalene, the woman you've met in Scripture, and today you're about to meet her in person. Through the research and imagination of Jill Eileen Smith, this is the land and the book, by the way. I'm John Gager, inviting you to pause with me now for a quick idea on what it could really look like to love on our Jewish friends and neighbors. Opportunities to share Yeshua with your Jewish friends come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Beth Evelyn's got a great story. She serves on staff at Olive Tree Congregation in suburban Chicago. Beth.
S3: One day I was talking on the phone with someone from technical support about my computer. And when he saw the name of our congregation, he started speaking to me in Hebrew. Well, I don't speak Hebrew, but I did take the opportunity to explain to him that we are a congregation of Jewish people who believe in Jesus, and he had not really explored that very much. And so we talked about it a little bit more. And because he was on the phone, I thought, well, I need to give him some resources. So I directed him to the website In Search of Shalom, which is a website that has a lot of Jewish believers testimonies on video. And so you can direct Jewish people there, and they can go in the privacy of their own home and watch these videos of people who have powerful testimonies. And they're all Jewish believers.
S1: In search of shalom.
S3: Yes.
S1: Great resource for somebody that's maybe just with tech support on the phone. Thoughts there from Beth Taplin, who's with Olive Tree Congregation here on the land and the book. Jill Ileene Smith loves Jesus, loves his word and all things related to learning more about the culture and times of the people of the Bible, particularly the women whom God has immortalized there. She's the best selling and award winning author of many biblical novels, including her first series, The Wives of King David. It's Great to Have you on the land and the book, Jill.
S4: Well, thanks for having me, John.
S1: Well, we're here to meet the subject of your newest release, Dawn of Grace, Mary Magdalene's story. Let me start by asking you what drew you to the story of Mary Magdalene in the first place?
S4: Oh, boy. Well, I had written about almost all of the major Old Testament women, and I wanted to come up with more to write because I still had that desire. I believe God created me with that desire to write these stories. So I switched to the New Testament, and then it was like, okay, who? And it's more like which one was most interesting to me, and she was one of them. So she was the first one. I have two more coming down the road in the New Testament.
S1: So great. Hey, do you think that we give Mary Magdalene the spotlight in Scripture that she deserves? Have we have we taken the time to really understand her? Why or why not?
S4: You know, as a culture worldwide, I think there's a lot of misunderstanding about Mary Magdalene. And I remember doing some research and I won't be able to quote the guy's name exactly, but I think he was a pope or a bishop or someone years and years ago who kind of combined some of the different women in Scripture, like, you know, the sinful woman that weeps at Jesus feet or whatever, and kind of made the unnamed women part of Mary Magdalene's story, and that's where she got the idea, or we got as a world, whatever the idea, she was a prostitute or the wife of Jesus, which is a heretical thing going on. But the Bible clearly says she was delivered of seven demons. That's all he tells us. And then she helped support Jesus out of her means. So that made me pause and go, well, how did she get that money? You know, where did she have means? Was she wealthy? Was she? I mean, I've read all kinds of books on her. Some people think she was older because she's named first a lot in Scripture, but that doesn't mean for sure. She might have just been the leader because she had a leadership ability, you know. And I think the demon possession thing is something we don't really understand in our culture, so we don't. I guess maybe we just think of her more easily as a prostitute. Yeah, but no, I think we need to understand that because there's a lot of people with serious mental issues in our world and a lot of evil, and you can imagine the evil that goes on. You have to ask yourself, is that someone who's just mentally ill, or is there a demon situation going on like there was back in Jesus day? There was a lot of demon possession then, and I don't have any doubt that there still exists today.
S1: Yeah. Today on the land and the book An Unusual Conversation About Mary Magdalene with Jill Eileen Smith describe Mary's struggles as best we can conjecture. Obviously, she's been delivered from this, uh, being indwelt by unclean spirits, demons. I mean, that has to leave some scars, though, perhaps. What do you think are her her struggles?
S4: Well, I think if it was me, you know, and I'd been really sick or had a really oppressed, something oppressed me for a really long time, like she did, um, whom the son sets free is free indeed, but that doesn't mean she felt it. I envisioned her as relieved to be free of the demons, but it's kind of like, are they going to stay away? You know, I felt like that she could have a fear that if I don't stay close to Jesus, I'm susceptible. Especially when Jesus told that parable. If she heard it about, you know, if a house has got a man's got demon possessed and the demons are cast out and he doesn't clean his house up or whatever, the demons come back, find it all swept, but there's nothing to replace them. He's like, I can't. I'm not quoting it exactly.
S1: His condition, his condition, in the end, is worse than in the beginning.
S4: Right, right. And so that if she heard that, I mean, she could think, well, could they come back? I mean, those kind of questions went through my mind. So I just envisioned her devotion, and she was the most devoted of all the followers. She would not leave his side at the crucifixion. She had to know where he was buried. And Scripture, if you read the Gospels at the end, indicates she may have gone to the tomb three times separately. Um, you know, some people want to just say, oh, well, this says it this way, but maybe she was the first one up in the morning and then saw that the tomb was open but ran back, you know, and then came back with the women. We don't know for sure, but I envisioned from what I studied that she made three trips before Jesus said her name, and she knew he was alive.
S1: All right. I want to go to, uh, Mary Magdalene, sort of the before Jesus model here for a minute if she were alive today. This is the before Jesus, Mary Magdalene. How would she dress? Where would she live? What would somebody passing her on the street notice most about Mary Magdalene?
S4: I think she would have looked pretty ragged. I doubt she was homeless because she had wealth, but she could have been driven to the wilderness like the other demon possessed people were. She may not have wanted to eat. She could have lost a lot of weight. Her clothes could have been in tatters. She could have been dirty from not taking good care of herself. Because demons lead you to do things according to scripture. Like cut yourself trying to kill yourself, um, drive you to like what? The wilderness areas be too strong to be controlled. People may have feared her, and she may have kind of just gone off to be alone, more than they would have seen her very often. I wouldn't say she'd be like the person living in a homeless encampment, but she might be the homeless person living off all by herself back in that day and coming and going. Maybe, you know, I don't know. But that was how I see it now.
S1: Try to imagine that moment, and I'm sure you did in writing the book. What was it like for Mary to discover that Christ was interested in her? Exclusively for her benefit? For her healing? What was that moment like?
S4: Well, can you just imagine him calling your name? I get goosebumps when I think of that. Just hearing him say Mary. And I know that may not mean much to some people, but it's like someone finally knew her. It's like the minute he touched her physically or just with his words. We aren't sure how he healed or it doesn't say, but that's transforming. To hear him actually call you by name, you are mine. I know The chosen depicts that moment and they used that verse. Um. I have called you by name. You are mine. And I think that it applies to anyone who's healed and delivered by the Lord. And in her case, I think it was very true. I didn't use it the same way they did, but I think that she would have just been transformed in an instant.
S1: Jill Eileen Smith is the best selling and award winning author of the biblical fiction series The Wives of King David, wives of the Patriarchs and Daughters of the Promised Land, along with many others. She joins us today on The Land and the book we're talking about, Dawn of Grace. Her newest release, looking at Mary Magdalene's story. What do you think was the turning point for Mary? I mean, she had lived life her own way for so long. Uh, it was nice to hear her name called out by Jesus. But why should she trust this carpenter from Nazareth named Jesus?
S4: Well, if she knew the minute he touched her or called her or told the demons to leave. However, he did it when she would know they were gone. And I mean, if you're healed so instantly, I think there'd be a really strong trust factor after that and wanting to be with him. I can't imagine that she wouldn't. I know fear and doubt will still come into any of our lives when God may answer a prayer or heal us, or just at our salvation, depending on our age, it might be still difficult. We're still human. We're going to doubt, we're going to struggle. And I think she did. But I also think that especially once he resurrected, then she could have the Holy Spirit's power to truly be stronger in her faith. But, you know, she would have had to learn it as she went along after being healed.
S1: You know, demon possession is no lightweight condition. And it seems to me that if there was hope for Mary Magdalene, then that says volumes about messed up people around the world. Your thoughts?
S4: Yeah, absolutely. In doing the research for that, it was tough because I do know people that are mentally ill, but I've never met a demon possessed person. So I went to, um, fellow author Bill Myers, who wrote a book about demon possession, because he had experience with that. I can't remember the title right now, but it's in my book. I acknowledge him. But anyway, that book was very eye opening. And then I watched a movie, nefarious, which was also very eye opening. It was all about demon possession, and it was like, wow. So I tried to be as, um, like take from those things of people who, you know, had more firsthand experience and apply it to the story. But like I said, I have no doubt there is a lot of it still going around. The unclean spirits and the all the anime. I don't even like to call his name, but, um, he's doing his level best to destroy every human being, whether you're a believer or not. But especially he's going after believers and the Jewish nation. And you know he won't stop until God stops him. And if he can get Ahold of people and make them tools of his use, he will. I mean, it's kind of scary, you know? But we don't have to be afraid as believers.
S1: That's right.
S4: Greater is he who is in us, right? Than he who's in the world.
S1: Yeah. Hey, if you were to bring Mary Magdalene to church services this Sunday, and they opened up the microphone to anybody in the congregation with a testimony to share, what one facet of her story do you think Mary might choose to talk about?
S4: I think she would tell the world I've seen the Lord, because that was her absolute epiphany when he resurrected and she thought he was the gardener, and he called her name again, maybe for the first time, but I doubt it, you know. But he called her name for the first time of resurrection. She was the first person to see him alive. I mean, she ran back to the disciples and said, I've seen the Lord. And, I mean, I don't think she ever stopped saying that because I think it was like, wow. And you look at Scripture and go, Jesus told the woman at the, well, I'm the Messiah. The first person was a woman, the first person to see him alive after he rose was a woman, and he elevated women in such a wonderful way that we still don't see in the world. But Jesus did. He considers us all equal in Christ, and it's like, wow, I don't think she would have gotten over that. She probably danced or hopped or skipped or ran all the way there, you know, it's like, wow. She wanted to cling to him and he said, don't do that. Yeah. Anyway, I think that would be her testimony.
S1: I like that, danced, hopped, skipped. She probably did all of them.
S5: She probably did, yeah.
S1: And that's a great place to pause this conversation while you think about exploring further. The book is Dawn of Grace, Mary Magdalene's story. You'll get to know her better as you pick it up, and we'll link you to that book and to Jill Eileen Smith's website when you visit ours. The land and the book.org. Looking forward to more of your Bible questions next here on the land and the book. It's great to connect with you today on the land and the book. Segment three I'm John Yeager, always glad to be connected in the studio with Doctor Gerald Peterman of Moody Bible Institute faculty. I say that so often because to me, it's important, you know that.
S6: Is it really true?
S1: It's really true and it's really important. People need to know that there isn't some guy just sitting here winging this. This is somebody that our students get to benefit from day in and day out, somebody that I enjoy chatting with, but somebody, most importantly who knows and loves the word. So thank you for doing this.
S6: Well, I get to enjoy being with the students every day. So that's that's really fun.
S1: All right. And you always welcome those questions at The Land and the book at Moody. Again email us at the land and the book at Moody. Well, before we get to our questions, let's think about the fact that Passover is upon us. And and one of the traditional Passover questions is what makes this night different from all others? And of course, Passover is an important biblical holiday with great meaning for Jewish people and believers in Jesus. But if you want to learn more about what makes Passover so special, our friends at Life in Messiah are offering to mail you a free copy of their Messianic Passover Haggadah. This is a booklet that will lead you to the celebration of Passover, to see the rich connections to Jesus, our Messiah, and the Last Supper. We'll also send you a link for an interactive Passover Seder video. And with the Haggadah and the video, boy, you'll really celebrate Passover this year with your family and friends like never before. Take advantage of this free offer. Just go to life in Messiah and click on the Moody Radio button there to find out more and request your copy. That's life in Messiah Dot. And with that, let's get right into our first question of the day, this one from Ben. He says, I hope it doesn't sound heretical, but I have to ask Jesus, our Lord is 100% man and 100% God. Now how can he be in everyone's heart at the same time if he's fully man? My wife says that when Jesus was raised back to heaven, he no longer was a man, just God. That I don't believe. I wanted to discuss it with her, but couldn't think of any scripture to stand on. Any thoughts?
S6: Well, Ben, thanks so much for the question. First, our Lord can be in our heart because he is God, and so he's omnipresent. But it's even better than that because of his grace and his a saving power. He is especially with us. This goes beyond mere omnipresence to what I'm going to call special presence, just as God has always been omnipresent. But in your Old Testament, you know, he was especially present in the tabernacle in the holy place. See, especially Leviticus 16. So now he is specially present with us. Now, second, about our Lord's body. We can see from acts chapter one that Jesus is talking to the 11, and he promises the Holy Spirit is going to come. And then in acts one nine we read this. And after he said this, he was taken up. And as they were watching, the cloud took him out of their sight. And while he was going, they were gazing into heaven, and suddenly two men in white clothes stood by them. They said, Men of Galilee, why do you stand here looking into heaven? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come in the same way that you've seen him going into heaven. So when our Lord returns, we'll see his body. Matthew 2430 says, all the eyes of the world will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven. So I believe in an eternally embodied Jesus Christ our Lord.
S1: All right. Since you've gone toward the future for that question, let me let me keep us there. Revelation 21 verse four promises God shall wipe every tear from their eyes. Two questions arise here. First, what is the likely source of the crying? And second, is this wiping away a one time thing? Or will we have regular occasion to cry in heaven?
S6: Oh wow that's wonderful. I really enjoyed this question. Let me go to number two. I don't think there's going to be any crying in heaven. I don't think there's going to be any sadness, any mourning, any pain, any death. These are the things we cry about. No, there will be no more tears. But number one, this life often has many tears. Joys, yes, but this life often has many tears. And so this is a promise of the blessing the Lord will give us, we will be personally comforted. He will wipe every tear from our eyes.
S1: Okay, so you're saying this is heaven itself, as opposed to now that we're here and here we are crying in heaven, and he'll come along and use his sleeve and wipe away our tears. No. The gift of heaven is the wiping away of tears.
S7: The gift of heaven.
S6: Is to have all our griefs wiped away by him. Yeah.
S1: All right. We're going to back up just a bit before being in heaven to the rapture with this next question. A listener wants to know why wouldn't the rapture, the sudden disappearance of millions of Christians, be sufficient to create a global revival, or at least a large scale sense of humility? As in, boy, those people we thought were so nutty, they're actually right. There must be this God they speak of. Why wouldn't the world in large numbers turn to that reality?
S6: Well, that is a great question. I really see where this is coming from. The answer is because human hearts can be very hard. Let me give you another example from the Old Testament. In the Old Testament period, of course, God brought his people Israel out of Egypt. It was miraculous. It was it was stunning. And Rahab and her family paid attention to it, and they were touched by it. But the rest of the Canaanites were not. So here, here what we have, we have God doing a miracle that's talked about all over that part of the world. And most of the people don't care. That seems to me to be very similar to what you're talking about.
S1: Yeah. And you think of the presence of Jesus himself on this earth, right? How many saw these miracles and said, nah, I don't think so.
S6: John, that's a really good example. Sadly, what we see sometimes is in the Gospels anyway. We see scribes, Pharisees who say a miracle just happened. What are we going to do about this? Because we can't stand it. Let's kill him.
S1: Right?
S6: Right. This is not what you expect to happen as a result of a miracle.
S1: No. You're listening to the land and the book. Doctor Gerald Peterman is answering listener questions today. If yours isn't among them, could it be you haven't asked it yet? Why not do that when you email us at The Land and the book at Moody's, the land and the book at Moody's. We'll keep going on future things with this next listener question. This person says it feels like there's a growing movement in evangelical circles today to deny that those who end up in hell suffer. They're fully conscious forever and ever. What's driving this trend and how should we respond?
S6: Well, it's hard to know exactly what's driving the trend, but this strikes many people as vicious. How could a God condemn someone to eternal punishment? It strikes many people as vicious. They're not going to accept it because in their view, God could never do such a thing. Well, okay, I appreciate that. I think I understand where they're coming from. Let's think of it from a different perspective. How bad is sin? How bad is it to reject God when there's so many evidences of him around the planet, and there's so much evidence of the goodness of God in the gospel. How bad is sin? Sin is as vicious as hell is described as the punishment that corresponds to it. So I understand where this question is coming from, but I think it underestimates the viciousness of sin.
S1: Yeah. Might just be that we have devalued or taken the claws out of sin.
S7: Yes.
S6: I think you're.
S7: Right.
S1: He poisoned it as if such were possible.
S7: Mhm.
S1: Another question. Do you believe we are moving toward the last times, the end times? And if so, in what ways do you see the church today falling away from the biblical faith as we're told it's going to do. What are among your greatest concerns.
S7: Mhm.
S6: Well I think I hear 3 or 4 questions in there.
S7: Go for all of them. Yes.
S1: We got.
S7: Time.
S6: Um I think we're moving close, but I don't want to be a prophet of doom, nor do I want to fix a date. But I think we're getting close because Jesus talks about the gospel being preached to all nations before he arrives. And there is a massive push going on right now. That where many people are being evangelized for the first time and people are being reached in unreached countries around the world. So we're seeing thousands upon thousands upon millions of people come to know Christ, to the number we've never seen before. I think this is an indication we're moving toward the day. Now, John, I forgot the second part of your.
S1: Question would be what what issues do you see theologically that maybe we're falling away from or twisting or deliberately, uh, not paying attention.
S6: To? Right, right. Uh, great. Thanks for reminding me of that. I don't want to label anyone or any person or any church, but, uh, there are many churches these days. There are many churches these days that go by the name of church who are losing their members because the churches are abandoning what's in Scripture. And this has been this has been going on for years. But I think that's also accelerated the abandonment of classic Christianity, of biblical Christianity, I think is at a height at this point. But you'd have to be paying attention to see that. Yeah. Many churches are closing down because they have stopped preaching the gospel, and no one wants to come because there's no there's no hope, there's no life, there's no vitality.
S1: Yeah. We're talking with Doctor Gerald Peterman on this question and answer segment here on the land and the book. And again your question is welcome anytime when you email us at the Land and the book at Moody's, you don't just teach the Bible. You're a student of the Bible. So for the listener who's asking what tools do you like, what's on your shelf, what's on your computer, your phone, any apps or tools or books? I think for my own life, what has been very instrumental is Howard Hendricks and his son, Bill. They wrote the book living by the book. Tremendous tool for helping you understand and study the scriptures. What thoughts come to your mind?
S6: Well, um. Am I allowed to say this? Is this advertising? I go I go to the Moody Bible Commentary quite often, right? Because I'm reading scripture, I'm reading the Old Testament every year, reading the New Testament every year. And sometimes I think, huh, What's going on with that? So for a quick straight to the point answer, I opened the Moody Bible Commentary. So while there are lots of other books, the number one book for me is the Moody Bible Commentary.
S1: All right, great tip. And that's from Moody Publishers. A link to Moody Publishers is at our website. The land and the bookstores. And again, I'll mention it one more time. Our email address. If you'd like to connect and get your question on board with us. It's easy to do so when you email the land and the book at Moody's. I'm looking forward to Charlie Dyer's devotional next on the land and the book. If you're new to the land in the book, we've got one last segment for you. It's our devotional segment. Charlie, what is the the goal here? Your philosophy in what you put together for us week after week?
S2: Well, I want to try and introduce people to some spot in the land and something that connects to the Bible there. And again, the land and the book. It's nice to put them together, but in a way that provides something we can listen to and take home for the week that draws us closer to God.
S1: All right. And this week is no exception. You're continuing a series titled What.
S2: The 11 Inscriptions to the Bible. And today we're going to be looking at the Cyrus Cylinder and Isaiah 44.
S1: First, though, let's listen to this Holy Land experience. That's what we call it. It's somebody's testimony, having come back from the Holy Land, and they're kind of fired up with an impression that God has laid on their heart. Listen to this.
S8: Hi, my name is John Mitchell. We, uh, toured the Sea of Galilee and went down to the Dead Sea and went to Jerusalem. And it just opened up the Bible to me more than before. And I encourage everyone to come and experience it. It's it's a wonderful experience and you'll learn so much that you thought you maybe knew, but you'll know so much more about it once you be here.
S9: Hi, my name is Rick Warren and this is my second time here with Moody Bible Institute to the Holy Land. And the thing that really hit me this time was not the different places that we went to. Although they're fabulous. The different experiences. But just as we've been talking so much this week about the relationship between Palestine and Israel and how truly complex it really is. And there are no simple solutions.
S1: All right, Charlie, I'm looking forward to your devotional today. I guess we're based in Isaiah 44.
S2: That's right John. We've reached the eighth in my series of 11 inscriptions to the Bible, and I want to start today's devotional with a rallying cry heard several times in our nation's history. The British are coming. The British are coming. Now, if you're a history buff, you might have in mind the Revolutionary War and Paul Revere's midnight ride to Lexington. But if you were a teenager in the 60s. The same message brings to mind the arrival of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and Herman's Hermits, the Dave Clark Five and all those other British rock bands that took America by storm. But if you're a lover of ancient history and antiquities, you might just be thinking back to a more recent invasion. The British Museum's Cyrus Cylinder Road show that came to five museums in the summer of 2013. This historical treasure went on display in Washington, D.C., Houston, New York City, San Francisco, and Los Angeles. It was the first time the Cyrus Cylinder had ever been in the United States. But you ask, what's the Cyrus Cylinder and why is it so special? The Cyrus Cylinder is our inscription of the day. It's an ancient clay cylinder discovered in Babylon 145 years ago, last month that announced Cyrus key political and religious goals. It presented Cyrus as the pious leader sent by the gods of Babylon to replace the impious Babylonian king Nabonidus. It also announced his policy to repatriate those deported to Babylon and to rebuild the sanctuaries that had been destroyed. It was Cyrus's attempt to undo Babylonian policies and to consolidate Persian rule by presenting him as a kinder and gentler king. But what does this 2500 year old artifact in the British Museum have to do with the Bible? It actually connects two ways. The Book of Ezra begins with a proclamation from King Cyrus that reads in part, whoever there is among you of all his people, may his God be with him. Let him go up to Jerusalem, which is in Judah, and rebuild the house of the Lord, the God of Israel. This proclamation to the Jewish people parallels the one in the Cyrus Cylinder, written to the people of Mesopotamia. Cyrus also allowed the Jews to go home and rebuild their temple. But I see another connection between the Bible and the Cyrus Cylinder. That's even more dramatic. I say that because this connection took place over 150 years before Cyrus ever arrived on the scene. In Jeremiah 39, the prophet concluded the first half of his book by announcing God's final judgment on the nation of Judah. Behold, the days are coming when all that's in your house and all that your fathers have laid up in store to this day shall be carried to Babylon. Nothing shall be left. Isaiah announced that Judah would be going into captivity in Babylon. He was so certain about this that beginning in chapter 40, he begins writing to the people who were going into captivity, people who hadn't yet even been born at the time, he wrote. Isaiah offers comfort and hope to those who would someday be carried off into exile. God will bring you back to the land. But how could they be sure? How could they know this message was from God and not just wishful thinking on the part of the prophet. God gave Isaiah a very dramatic way to verify this prediction. Listen to God's promise made a century and a half before the rise of Cyrus. It is I who says of Cyrus, he's my shepherd, and he will perform all my desire. And he declares to Jerusalem, she will be rebuilt. And of the temple your foundation will be laid. Thus says the Lord to Cyrus his anointed, whom I have taken by the right hand to subdue nations before him. For the sake of Jacob my servant, and Israel my chosen one, I have also called you by your name. I have given you a title of honor, though you have not known me. I am the Lord. There is no other besides me. There is no God. God identified Cyrus by name and said he would be victorious, and announced he would be the one who would allow Israel to return home and rebuild the temple. Now, how's that for getting specific? In fact, some think it's too specific. No one could predict something that accurately that far in advance. No one, that is, except God. The critics who try to say this was written after the time of Cyrus, not before. Ignore two key truths. First, they missed the fact that all the way through this section of Isaiah. God does claim to be predicting the future. In chapter 41, God challenges all the other so-called gods to announce to us what's coming. Declare the things that are going to come afterward, that we may know that you are gods. In chapter 42, God says, I'm the Lord, that is my name. I will not give my glory to another, nor my praise to idols. Behold, the former things have come to pass. Now I declare new things. Before they spring forth, I proclaim them to you. In chapter 44, God issues this challenge. Who is like me? Let him proclaim and declare it. Let him declare the things that are coming and the events that are going to take place. I could go on, but you get the picture. God didn't just throw out Cyrus's name in some haphazard fashion. It was a deliberate prediction made to a specific group. It made no sense to the people in Isaiah's day, but it made perfect sense to those in captivity in Babylon, and it reminded them that God was in charge and that they could trust him. I said there were two reasons we knew this was a prediction written in advance. The first is the fact that God himself claims to be predicting the future when he named Cyrus. And the second reason was uncovered in Qumran. Those who said this couldn't be a real prediction of Cyrus constructed an elaborate theory for how the Book of Isaiah was written. The first 39 chapters in deed might date back to the time of Isaiah, they argued, but the last half of the book had to be written hundreds of years later, after the rise of Cyrus and the fall of the Babylonian Empire. Then, somehow, over the centuries, these two separate books got joined together and people forgot that they were the works of two different writers. Now, that may sound plausible, at least until the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered, including a complete scroll of the Book of Isaiah. The scroll dates to the second century BC. Chapter 39 ends on the next to the last line of a column. This was a perfect opportunity for the scribes to show a break in the book by starting chapter 40 on a new column. But chapter 40 begins on the very next line without any break. This was a single book written by the prophet Isaiah, with a dramatic prediction of the rise of a king named Cyrus, who would allow the Jews to return home and rebuild the temple. And that's just what happened. The Cyrus Cylinder is impressive, but it pales in comparison to the Bible. Israel knew about Cyrus and his proclamation before Cyrus was even born, because the God of the universe, the only true God, had told them all about him. So what difference does all this make in your life today? I think it comes down to this God could identify Cyrus by name because God was in control of history. And God has also announced dramatic events that will take place on this planet leading up to the return of his son. We don't need to live in fear or uncertainty about what tomorrow holds because God is in control. After predicting the coming of Cyrus, God made a statement that can help us keep our bearings in otherwise uncertain times. I made known the end from the beginning. From ancient times what is yet to come. I say my purpose will stand. And I will do all that I please. The lesson for us is simple. Breathe easy. God is in control. And if you'd like to see a photo of the Cyrus Cylinder on display in the British Museum, be sure to head over to our land in the book Facebook page where I've posted a picture of it that I took.
S1: And it's well worth the visit. Check out that Facebook page, I urge you. And I want to say thank you to our host, Charlie Dyer. Thanks to this station for making room for the land. In the book, I'm John Geiger for our producer, Dan Anderson. Hope you have a great day. The land and the book is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.