S1: Coming to you from the Morning Star Mission sponsored studio. This is Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: We're running. Come on. Running, running. I love that song.
S3: Anyone else love that? Yeah. That is. That's Bob Seger band. Man, I mean, that's. What was that? What was that tune? Bob Seger. What did he do? What's that song that sounded like it?
S2: He did several.
S3: Oh, come on, what's the Bob Seger Band song that sounds like.
S2: That.
S3: One? Holiday nights or Hollywood nights?
S4: That's one of them Hollywood nights.
S3: Yeah, Hollywood nights sounds so much like it. Crank up a little Bob Seger. I'm going to prove it to you right now. Hollywood nights.
S2: Hollywood nights.
S3: Yeah, the words are great words.
S2: Bob Seger.
S3: Bob Seger.
S2: Bob Seger.
S5: I've heard the name.
S2: Is that a.
S3: Oh, I've heard the name.
S4: I'm gonna go rest now.
S3: Oh, boy.
S2: Give some context clues.
S3: Well, he's a rock and roller.
S2: That's all I can say. From what? What era?
S3: Way back.
S2: In the.
S3: 70s. 80s, right.
S4: Yeah. Very iconic American rock. Classic rock, dude.
S5: Before I play this, it's it's okay. We're good.
S2: So, yeah.
S4: I.
S3: I'm pretty sure we're good.
S2: Is there anything sketchy in there? No, I think we're.
S3: I think we're good.
S5: I've got the delayed hits.
S3: Give us, give us Hollywood life. Here we go. See?
S2: Doesn't that sound like it? Yeah, it.
S5: Sounds like 70s. 80s?
S2: Yeah.
S3: See? Right there.
S5: That's. That's very 70s. 80s feel. That's nice.
S2: Yeah.
S3: Well, that's. We got enough of it.
S5: We're good.
S2: All right.
S3: That's the. That's the jam right there.
S2: Yeah. That is definitely definitely.
S6: Hear the similarity.
S4: That old time rock and roll. Remember that song made famous in Risky Business?
S2: I mean.
S3: Okay, got a question for you to kick off this hour. The question is, what is that little thing in life that changes everything for you. Come on. What's that little thing that changes everything? I got a new workout water mug. Ooh, I love this.
S5: Ooh, that's a good one.
S3: Just push that button and thing flips up. It's so cool. I love to show people. It is the coolest water thing going. Okay, no chemicals in the water.
S5: There you go. None of.
S3: That stuff.
S2: I get pumped.
S6: Getting new office supplies.
S5: What?
S2: I mean, like.
S3: See.
S2: You get.
S6: Some new pens and you just, like, what can I write?
S3: By the way, I got the best pen going. I got this Sharpie. It's this kind of bronze colored Sharpie. Yeah, but it's a pen. And this thing, the rollerball on it. I'm so with you, Ali.
S5: You're so funny about pen highlighters.
S6: Like, if you get highlight.
S4: Books in school.
S2: Oh, yeah, I loved it. Yes. Like back to school when you had all those new school supplies. Right. And you got to organize them. And then you have the little pencil case, and you put that thing out, and it was it was just fun.
S5: Carl's just holding up highlighters.
S2: Well, new office supplies are fun. He's with me on that.
S3: Yeah. So this is the highlighter?
S5: Yes.
S3: That you have to have for highlight in your Bible.
S2: I love that.
S3: One. Isn't this one?
S2: It's a gel highlighter. You put me on to that I love them I went and got some. Well not went Amazon went and got me some. Shipped it to my door.
S3: Mr.. Mr.. Pen sleek highlighter.
S2: They're great because they don't bleed through the page.
S3: Through it all. Man, sometimes when you highlight a Bible, you're highlighting four pages at one time.
S2: Yes.
S3: Not with Mr. Pen Sleek. Mr. Pen Sleek is a gel. It'll stay on one side of the page. What's so funny? Young thunder. This is.
S5: A. This is an unpaid ad.
S2: Okay. What's your little thing, Jonathan?
S5: I don't.
S2: Know. My little thing.
S5: Is I don't well, I don't I mean, let me think.
S2: I didn't say chick fil A either.
S5: Well, no, it's not a little thing, and I don't get that every day. Uh, I would say question.
S3: Have you ever cleaned off your daughter's binky with your own mouth?
S5: No.
S3: Okay.
S5: Just curious. Why would I do that? That sounds disgusting. Why would I do that?
S3: Some parents do that. I've done.
S5: That.
S3: I won't do it with my granddaughter.
S5: No way would I ever do that. Uh, okay. I don't know, day planner for me. Uh, okay. A workout watch, though. I think those two things are little.
S3: Yeah, yeah, those are good.
S5: Those can change the aspect of my day, for sure.
S3: All right, tee it up. Come on. Phones are broken here. They're working on.
S2: Them. But text.
S3: Messages.
S2: Phones are.
S3: Work. Text messages work.
S2: We want to hear from you. What's that one little thing that makes a big impact on your day? Is it office supplies? Is it a day planner? Is it a chick fil A breakfast sandwich? What's the little thing that changes your day in a big way? 805 55 7898. Text only. Unfortunately, our phone lines are down. 800 555 7898.
S3: Come on, light em up, man. Give us your life hacks here. I don't know his chick Fil-a account is a little thing.
S2: That changes everything. Throwing out suggestions, possible options to get the ball rolling.
S5: It could, well, a cup of coffee, I'm sure people. You know.
S2: I think a lot of people say that.
S4: So I want a chicken biscuit. Be a little thing to somebody.
S3: 800 you need. Plop, plop fizz fizz right behind it.
S2: 555 (789) 880-0555 7898.
S5: Oh, boy.
S3: I love gang tackling young thunder. I don't know why.
S5: Hey, you can do it all you want. I'm not gonna stop eating it, so I'll.
S3: Just keep going. Five, five, 78, 98 I'm cutting you off. We can't be endorsing Chick-Fil-A too much, okay? We do it all the time around here.
S5: Unpaid for. By the way.
S3: Yeah. What's that little thing that changes everything? Come on, text us Eight. Nine. Eight. Now there's method to this madness. We'll tell you about it.
S1: She was trying to earn her way to God, but God showed her she didn't have to. Ali is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S3: What's that little thing that changes everything? Boy, we got somebody sold out on Mr. Penn. Somebody in Nashville, Mr. Penn. Chisel. Seven color aesthetic highlighters for my Bible and other books is now in my Amazon cart.
S2: Yes. Uh oh.
S3: We're moving product Jeff Bezos. Send us some residuals right here. All right. What do we got here, Ali? A lot of feedback.
S2: Yeah. A variety of little things that change your day. Nine. Three. Two. Three. Says a hug from my daughter. Being on my knees in prayer first thing in the morning. My dog not waking up before I want to get out of bed listening to my kindergartner say the Lord's Prayer. Morning prayer with coffee. Uh. Love that. My husband bringing me my cup of coffee in the morning.
S3: Oh, that's a good man.
S2: That is. Waking up to my radio alarm and hearing WNBA. Oh, thanks. Praise and prayer. God's promises. Dutch brothers. Iced coffee. Heated seats when it's cold. Nine, eight, eight says stretching in a quick workout first thing in the morning. Starbucks with whipped cream. Yummy new sticky notes. Okay, a delicious cup of French pressed coffee. We've got lots of votes for coffee.
S3: French press coffee.
S7: Is so good.
S2: What do you think?
S3: Takes time, but it's good. Oh, I don't know if coffee is still coffee with whipped cream on top or if that zeros it out. I'm still contemplating that one.
S4: Makes it a dessert.
S3: Yeah. I mean, some of these coffees that people get, all they are is liquid chocolate cake, maybe. I mean, it's something else.
S4: My son loves them and I'm like, oh my goodness, sugar overload.
S2: So sweet.
S3: They're pumping stuff in there that you don't know what's going on? Looks like a rat experiment. All right. You got anything else in there, Allie?
S2: No new music equipment for worship. Serrano peppers with my food. Serrano. Wow. A video chat with my two and a half year old grandson. Awesome. 50. 72. My husband reads aloud Jesus calling for the day, and we look up accompanying scriptures and discuss and pray. Take 7 to 10 minutes. Such a blessing.
S3: That is powerhouse right there. That's powerhouse. Okay, coming up here. The Word of God is clear. It's the little things that change everything. And one in particular is so profoundly spot on. If you've ever been out on the water with a boat, you'll get it. Hang on.
S1: You can take him out of Alaska, but you can't take Alaska out of him. Carl is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S3: Sometimes you take things for granted. Some things are below the waterline of life. It's kind of the unseen things that matter most. I'm big on that principle, guys. It's when you think, throw this in for free. When you hide God's Word in your heart, the ability that you have to not miss the mark with God increases exponentially. That's the promise of God's Word. There's 50 promises related to the Word of God in Psalm 119 alone. 50 promises with regard to the word, and it's amazing. Check it out. But it's usually the unseen things that matter most, and it's the little things in life that can really move the dial. I think we we think of people with great, uh, sports prowess or great skills in business. Uh, I get blown away by listening to Warren Buffett and some of these guys. If you really listen to these guys that have done it in finance or business or my own two adult kids at the at the tech startup, they would tell you right now, it's the little stuff that moves the dial almost more than the big stuff, guys. It's the little stuff. And Ali gave us a good example of this great daughter. She and Ali's daughter is a phenomenal basketball player and a great three point shooter. And I get a little bit like I go dad mode sometimes. She's not even my kid. But I'm like, get, get, get her the ball. If she's sinking threes, it might be good to keep giving her the ball. Carl, you poor Ali and Henry. I'm blowing up their text one day watching the game and I'm like, get her the ball, get her the ball.
S5: It's so funny.
S3: But she wasn't always shooting threes really well. And little things mattered don't they.
S2: Yeah. My husband has worked with her since she first really started to show an interest in playing, and he wanted to really build her shot from the ground up. And so she would she was a good natural shooter, but she developed some bad habits. And so one in particular, I remember she had a thumb flick. You don't realize how much of the impact when you're shooting a basketball that your thumb has. So she would kind of flick her thumb forward, which would cause the ball to not spin straight, which could cause it to go off just enough to make it not go in the basket. And so my husband got her this glove that would keep her hand sort of stationary, like with all of you, picture holding your hand out in front of you, with all of your fingers spread as wide as you can, and then sort of making mirroring that shape of the ball. So her thumb physically couldn't do that little flick thing. So she had to learn how to shoot without flicking her thumb, or he would sometimes take her and make her wear latex gloves so that she could work on catching and gripping the ball. Even with like, the the resistance of the glove. All these little things that he would do that would be sort of odd at the time. But over time it really started, started to build a consistency and an ability to really maintain really good form, even when the in the game action where there's lots of things happening. So those little adjustments made such a big difference.
S3: That's life, man. And it's beautiful. And we find James saying this. So if you've ever sailed you got a I don't know, you got a little trimaran, you got a day dinghy. You've got I don't care what you have, I don't care if you got a little dinky sailboat like I had when I was like 15, 16 years old. I don't care what it is or a humongous ship. It's an astounding thing to watch these things at dry dock. And you go, that moves that, hold it a second, that moves all of that. And what is it? It's a rudder. Listen to what we find in the book of James. Take it away.
S2: James three, starting with verse three. If we put bits into the into the mouths of horses so that they obey us. We guide their whole bodies as well. Look at the ships also, though they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are guided by a very small rudder wherever the will of the pilot directs. So also the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things.
S3: The power of the tongue is one of the most underestimated and underutilized resources we have. Some people go through this life thinking I'm pretty powerless. That is not true. If you have been given a tongue, you have power. Isn't that what the scriptures say?
S2: Yes. And the fact that it's compared to a bit in the mouth of the horse, and a rudder on a ship as far as the size of it compared to the relative impact.
S3: It's it's staggering. And it's it's a powerful truth that we need to leverage in life and in marriages. We're talking today.
S5: Absolutely. Well, I mean, you've seen how how sometimes negative or positive the the words of someone else can literally direct a life trajectory that people say, well, I do this because this person said this about me and I want to prove them wrong, or because I think they're kind of right about me. And I lived that that lie out in my life and in my actions or vice versa. When you build someone up, sometimes the trajectory of their whole life changes because you gave them a correct view of themselves. And so in our marriages, it's so important because that's your partner, that's the person that you said, I am in this life, in this walk of discipleship with you the whole way through. And how we speak to them is so important.
S3: Yeah. I'm the one of the most powerful statements ever spoken to me was from my dad. And this is how powerful it was. I'm at the start of the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race. Dogs are lunging in their harnesses. I've got 13 huskies, well trained, ready to go right in front of me, and I'm ready to pull the snow hook, which is the emergency brake. And dad says, hold on a second, I want to pray with you. And I got something to say. We bowed our heads. I wasn't a follower of Jesus, but isn't it funny when you're looking at 1100 miles in front of you? Prayer doesn't seem like a bad idea.
S5: Absolutely not.
S3: So I bowed my head with my dad. My dad yelling a prayer because the noise of the huskies assembled on that lake in the hustle and bustle of people running around snow machines. It was just loud. And he's bellowing to God, God be with my boy! And at the end of that prayer, he said, Amen. And then he looked at me and he said, now there's a lot of discussion about whether or not you're up for this. And I've heard what some of these mushers on this lake are saying about you going to die out there. Let me tell you what I'm needing you to know, son. I've already bought my plane ticket to Nome, Alaska. I'll see you when you get there.
S2: That was the finish line, right?
S3: Nome was the finish. I bought my ticket to Nome, Alaska. I'll see you when you get there. You know how powerful those words were for me. So powerful they were. I made it to no. 21 days, eight hours, 12 minutes and 32 seconds. Are you ready for a wild one, guys? It wasn't until two years after the Iditarod was over that it ever dawned on me I might not make it.
S5: Wow.
S3: Never even dawned on me.
S5: And it's crazy because you had some very life threatening situations on that race.
S2: Yeah. You were 18 years old.
S3: And I was 18, and. But it. How powerful were dad's words?
S5: So powerful.
S2: I mean, his belief in you.
S3: Yeah, yeah. I bought my ticket. I'll see you when you get there.
S5: That's amazing.
S3: Come on.
S2: Powerful.
S3: So, does the tongue have power? Yes. In marriage? Yes. Raising kids. Yeah. And you know what? We need to get a little more disciplined at is catching people winning and telling them. Or forecasting. You got this. It's powerful. Also, we've all experienced that.
S2: To express gratitude. Yeah, I noticed that you did this. Thanks for doing this.
S3: It's powerful man. What if the whole boom crew, the many thousands of you listening right now? We just locked hearts together and said, okay, today we are going to use this small thing called the. Tongue to wield great power in the lives of people. And I'm not talking about. Dreaming up stuff that doesn't exist. I'm talking about catching people. Winning and telling them. Having had a history where they've someone in your life. Has done something really sweet for you and going, you know what? I'm going to. Text them and say thank you. I don't tell you enough, I appreciate you. Wow. How much would that change the landscape of of our terra firma that we're. Walking today, it would be huge. So who is it you need to reach out to today? And just say thank you. This thing, fill in the blank that you've done is. Powerhouse, guys. The power of the tongue. And in marriage. Woof! Woof! Take time. Find her. Find him. Speak a word.
S1: He's a sports fanatic with a stat for anything you can think of. Young Thunder is in the crew. It's curl and crew on Moody Radio.
S3: Well, you love your spouse, but do you like them? That's a question.
S2: I think we all have moments.
S3: If we're honest, we're like, boy, I love you, but I'm not sure I like you.
S2: And if we're honest, I appreciate you loving me because I know I'm not very likable right now.
S5: Yeah, okay. That's a good point.
S3: That is a really good point.
S2: Sometimes, you know, you're not likable. We've all been I know I've been really cranky this week. I've been short tempered. And I'm sorry I've not been easy to like this week.
S3: Yeah. And she's just confessing that to the team here this.
S2: Morning.
S3: That was coming.
S4: You knew I knew it.
S3: You knew.
S2: It.
S3: Oh, Allie's a trooper. She's never a bit of a challenge around here.
S2: Never. Of course. Never. Haha.
S3: Coming up here, we've got a treat for you, don't we, Allie?
S2: We do. Arlene. It's national marriage week. You want to like your spouse more? Have fun in your marriage. She's all about it. She'll tell us how to do it. Coming up.
S1: She's a choreographer extraordinaire and everything is Greek to her. Super di is in the crew. It's Karl and crew on Moody Radio.
S3: Well, we talk about love in marriage. We're talking marriage all week long. Somebody went out there and said, we want to sell hallmark cards. So we'll call this marriage week.
S2: Wait. Hopefully it's a little bit more than that.
S3: I think it's more than that, for sure. And we should have more than marriage. We should have marriage morning, noon and dinnertime. But, you know, it's interesting, Ali, we talk about a lot about love in marriage? Yes, but we don't often talk about liking the person that we're loving.
S2: Yes. And oftentimes people will say, if not outright, they'll imply it. I mean, I love her or him. I'm committed, but.
S3: I'm.
S2: Committed. I just don't like them very much.
S3: Oh, Arlene, can we fuel the fires of, like. You know what's funny about love is that it usually starts with, like, in love, then builds, and then sometimes, like, can fade, and that's no joke, is it?
S8: Arlene, that is no joke. I love this question and like it as well. So. And you're exactly right. Because you liked this person. Why? You found the same things funny you like, did things together, you had activities together. You understood each other. You took time for each other. They listened to you, and you're like, wow, I really like this person. And after you marry, you kind of stop doing some of those behaviors because you're like, why do I have to listen to you? I have, like, so like, so many things to do. Why do I have to do? Like, why do I have to like football now? I've already done my. I've already gone to the games. I don't need to like that anymore. Why do I have to watch you go shopping? This is awful. Just shop by yourself. So all the things that we used to do when we liked each other, it's like, I don't have to do that now because we love each other. We're in a committed relationship. So a lot of the. And believe me, this James and I have been married for 26 years, and there are many times where I've thought, you know, like, well, I don't like you very much right now, right. And why in that moment, in my feeling that way, he either like he disagrees with me, he's asking me to do something that I do not want to do, you know, and I really like what thing has helped me is when I think to myself, well, I don't like you very much. I think to myself, he's probably also thinking, well, I don't like her very much. And it it just helps me realize that we're both like annoying one another, that we are both falling short of the like, meter, you know? So just realize that we are not always perfect either as the listener. And then I think it is going back, like you asked, how do you stoke the like again? And that's an important question and making in my book Making Marriage Easier. The fourth decision is to take fun seriously because we think it's just this extra. But the way you start to like them again is you have fun again together. Like you laugh and you see a movie together, or you eat popcorn late at night and get it all over the couch and you're like, oh, you. You know what I mean? Like you're doing things that make you enjoy each other again. So look for those activities with your spouse and things you can do together, maybe a vacation place to dream about together and it will help stoke the like.
S2: We've got Arlene Pelikan with us this morning, spokesperson for National Marriage Week and author of the new book Making Marriage Easier. You mentioned a decision. What are the four decisions that have helped you and your husband, James, remain happily married for and liking and loving each other for 26 years.
S8: That's right. Decision number one is to play by the rules. So don't follow your feelings. Just like there are rules in sports. You know there are boundaries. You've got to have those in marriage and pre-decide what you will and what you won't do. What's cool? What's not cool. Decision number two is give thanks every day. When you met your spouse, you were super thankful to God and you just have to keep that heart of thanksgiving. God, I thank you. I thank you for the challenge my marriage is in. I thank you for the good place. My marriage is in a decision. Number three, real popular is serve your spouse. And it is this idea that instead of saying, what are you going to do for me today? You know, you go into the day thinking, hey, how can I help you? How can I serve you today? And if you go in like that, wow. The whole atmosphere of the home changes and decision four we've touched on earlier is to take fun seriously that it's time to be playful again. The same things that brought you together, the fun. That's what helps keep you together really well.
S3: I had an epiphany, uh, a couple of days ago. It was like God showed up. I'm walking down a sidewalk with my bride in Chicago, and she went, boom, boom. Two of the most profound observations, one about the church where I am pastoring. And she's right there with me, and one about life in general. And I was like, boom! And I stopped and I, we were walking. I said, that is profound. She said, you're joking. You poking fun at me? I said, no, take it at face value. What you just said was so profound. How did I get there? I'm going to let you in. How did I get to the point where I heard my wife and go? I like what she's saying. How did that happen?
S8: You made space for it, right? You two were together. You were alone. It sounds like you didn't have all these kids in tow. Or, you know, people all around you and you're walking. And actually, I think when you're walking side by side, you things happen, like in your brain as you're moving all those things. It's it's good. So I think, you know, make room for walks. Like, why is it that we always in movies, they fall in love when they're walking, right? They're like walking and they're talking and they're like, right? And they're like, wow, I love this person. So seriously, like, that's such fast, easy, cheap way to date each other. Again, it's like, hey, let's walk around the block. Hey, let's go walk around the lake. Let's go walk around whatever. So make space, walk. And then it sounded like you were ready to listen, right? You weren't like you weren't the one doing all the talking so that your wife couldn't get a word in edgewise. There was a back and forth there.
S3: Yeah, that appreciation thing isn't that cool, Ali.
S2: It really is. I love that, and I love that you shared that moment with your with your bride.
S3: Yeah, it was sweet.
S2: We've got Arlene Pelikan with us this morning. Coming up. Let's go back to this fun aspect because that's something that many couples struggle with their committed. Maybe this is you. You're committed. You're not going anywhere. Your spouse isn't going anywhere but fun. That does not describe your day to day life in marriage. How do we fix that? Coming up.
S1: You're listening to Curl and Crew on Moody Radio.
S2: So you want to have more fun in marriage? Does that seem like an impossibility? Arlene Pelikan with us right now, author of Making Marriage Easier How to Love and Like Your Spouse for life. Fun is one of the decisions that we have to take seriously. I'm going to have fun with this person who I've committed my life to. I'm not going to just tolerate them until we one of us dies. I mean, that sounds dramatic, but many people live like that. How do you begin to bring the fun back into marriage?
S8: Yeah, you find the opportunities and look for it be like, I need something fun to do and really look. So my husband is kind of out of the box crazy. And our kids, when they were little, everyone had to do the same activity, the three kids. So it was going to be martial arts. And he comes home and he's like, I found a found a studio where the three of them can go. We can go for free. Well, what? What? Parrot wants to go, right? Like especially a mom. So the five of us go to the kids studio and they're all, like, three, four feet tall. And then, like, James and I, and we were like, yes, let's do this. So we all have these matching blue dragon shirts with dragons in our belts and our pants. And the first day, like we do jiu jitsu, and my head is in my husband's legs for a triangle and I'm like, there is just no way. But we stuck it out. We did that like 2 to 3 times a week for like four years, and it was hilarious. Like, I never got good at it. My husband would talk in class and get in trouble and the sons would be like, Mr. James, please be quiet. I mean, it was so funny. So as we look back on that, you know, sparring the first time, they put the big chest gear on me and I have the big dot on my chest, and I say to James, don't hit me. And he's like, what? Like, that's the whole point is you're my sparring partner, and I'm supposed to hit you. So it was built in fun. So when you have kids in that stage, many times you just think, oh, I'm just going to watch their fun. Like, they do stuff and we just sit in the sidelines and watch it, but get stubborn and be like, no, I'm going to have fun too. And you don't have to join the sport, let's say. But you do have to join something like find something you can do that is fun or funny. Like, it's not that I enjoyed it so much, but it was funny. So you find the funny and then like when you're later, like, let's say you're an empty nester and it's like, oh, all the excitement is gone. I remember my husband, he's a realtor, and he threw like an ice skating party for his clients. And I couldn't believe it. There were like 70, 80 year olds, like, out on the ice, right? And I was like, wow, kudos. Good on them. Like, I can barely get on the ice. And I just showed me at whatever age you're at, like, go and say, oh, there's an opportunity for fun. Like, I will go do that. And I think that really, really helps.
S3: I love it. Arlene is our guest, by the way. We're going to have a link for a resource that you're going to want to get because some of you just need to you've been focused on and I don't want to poo poo this because love is a verb. It's we're called to do it, to love one another big time. Mutual submission found in the book of Ephesians. Very clear for a healthy marriage. But liking is that. The funny thing about liking is that you start off, I don't know. I've I've married off over 100 couples. I've never met one of these couples that didn't like each other.
S8: That's right.
S3: I mean, you start liking actually love grows because it's so sacrificial and it's hard work. But that liking thing is fundamental because it's out of that liking where loving is, is cultivated. What do you tell a guy? Because I got a friend of mine. He hates shopping with his wife. I said, dude, I've turned it into a consulting thing. I'm just a consultant. If she says no, we aren't getting that. I go, all right, I'm going to go down the next aisle and look for some more stuff. But how do you turn the I don't like into? All right. I can stomach this. How do you do that?
S8: Yes, I think switching it like I don't like shopping, but I do. Like you. Can you imagine if your husband said that I don't like shopping. But I do like you. And I'll hang out with you all day. Right. That would be like. Wow. And then it makes the wife like, wow. My husband loves me so much and likes me so much and I feel like a nice wife would be. Then let me try to get this done faster, because you're being really nice to me. So just the idea, like, if you like it, I'll try it. And even if I don't really like it, I want to spend time with you. So just turn it into a game in your mind that it's not about shopping, it's about making your wife feel loved. And then I know, like my father in law, he would always bring a book. Like he would just be like, okay, great. You go over there. I will sit here for ten minutes and read my book and I will be so happy.
S3: Okay, I got a confession on those lines and this will help someone. So I am quick out the door. My wife is not so quick. She's not like super slow, but it takes her a little more time and I used to get so irritated. I mean, I would lose my mind. I'm like, okay, we're ready.
S9: Let's go, let's go.
S3: And you know what the Lord told me? Knock it off. You got stuff to do. And it was really fun for me to go. Hey, when you're ready, I'm here for you. And you know what? When I made an emotional shift from quit focusing on. She's not as ready as quickly as you are to just do something with your time. You've got things you can get done. Man. It shifts, and then the like button goes off. Yeah. What do you say, Arlene?
S8: I love that it's just asking, like, is this really, really important? And be like, you know what? If she's five minutes behind me, that's not really, really, really that important. And you're right. So I will do something with my own time. And isn't it funny? It takes us time to figure that out. So if there's something that you're just like my word, I'm so annoyed. I. You know, I've written these books like Screen Kids with Gary Chapman. And I remember when Doctor Chapman would be like, she would just not close the Close the cabinet doors and it would just drive me crazy. She'd leave all these drawers open everywhere. And when he made the shift. You know what? I'm just going to close them. It, like, changed everything that it was like. It diffused the whole thing. So just ask, is this, like a really important thing that I'm bugged about? And if it's not, then it's like, you know what, let me adjust to this thing and let's move on.
S3: Yeah, I this is hilarious, but I recommend armor all wipes. No joking. I get in my car, honest to goodness. I'll get in my car and instead of wigging out and I don't do that anymore, I'm like, I'm going to armor all the dash until she gets out of here. And I'll detail this sucker in no, I'm telling it may sound crazy, but it helps. It's it's a total perspective shift. And then my bride used to say, oh, I'm I'm sorry. I'm sorry for. And no problem. Look at the dash. Look how good that looks.
S10: Look how good it looks all the time. It's a good thing you need those minutes, because look at that dash. Yeah.
S4: Oh, boy.
S2: Arlene Pelicans spokesperson for National Marriage Week. In these closing minutes, just give us a word on National Marriage Week. There's resources available. There's some live virtual events for people to participate in with their spouse. Tell us about it.
S8: This is brand new this year. It's amazing. Every day there is a free live stream about a different point in your marriage. So if you have trouble with your family of origin or with conflict or with physical intimacy, there's something there for you. So you're going to see Bill and Pam Farrell and Jim Burns and Doctor Willard Harley and all sorts of people sign up. It's free and it's there for you.
S2: Well, we've got the details for you. Just text marriage to 800 555 7898. Text marriage to 800 555 7888. You're going to get the link to that Marriage Week website and the link to Arlene's book, Making Marriage Easier. Text marriage to (800) 555-7898.