S1: As a ten year old girl, Liana watched Hitler's motorcade pass by her home in East Prussia. Within a few short months, her hometown was smoldering in ruins. But that was just the beginning of her troubles. Coming up, we'll talk with someone whose faith in Christ helped her survive the horror of Russian invasion and occupation from Moody Radio. This is the land and the book. Our host, noted Israel scholar Doctor Charlie Dyer. And I'm John Jaeger. Maybe you wonder, how do you share the gospel with a Jewish person? Because of cultural, historical, and religious differences, it's sometimes challenging to kind of navigate a gospel conversation with somebody from a Jewish background. You ever wondered, though, how the professionals do it?
S2: Yeah, you're right, John. In fact, to answer this question, our friends at Life and Messiah want to mail you samples of the tracks their staff use as they share the gospel. This will serve a dual purpose of equipping you with methods of presenting the gospel, and also supplying you with tracks you can share with your Jewish friends and neighbors. Life and Messiah's Prayer is that these tracks will help further the spread of the gospel among the Jewish people. Now, to receive this helpful assortment of tracks, all you need to do is visit Life in Messiah org and click on the Moody Radio button there for more information. That's Life in messiah.org. Don't miss out on this great opportunity.
S1: And now a look at current events from the Middle East. Story number one, Israel's war with Hamas continues. And now the world is concerned about a threatened war with Hezbollah. Help us grasp the bigger picture of what's actually happening and what might happen.
S2: Yeah, the war with Hamas continues, although it's at a slower pace. In fact, it seems to be winding down somewhat to satisfy the pressure from the US and other countries. Israel is being more deliberate, though they're still making progress. One key problem remains the hostages. Hamas knows this, and that's why they've been reluctant to reach a deal. Nearly 120 hostages remain, but only 50 or 60 are thought to still be alive. A second problem is the debate over what victory in Gaza actually looks like. Israel has said their goal is to destroy Hamas, but they can push to eliminate Hamas's leadership and render the different military battalions. They're incapable of being an effective fighting force. But as one Israeli military official remarked, actually destroying Hamas isn't possible because Hamas is an idea and it's an idea supported by most Palestinians. A different part of your group might be put in charge, but if they have the same Islamic ideology, then little will have really changed. The situation in the North with Hezbollah is more complicated, and that's reflected in the mixed messages coming out of the region. The US announced it's working to prevent an all out war between Israel and Hezbollah. But three days later, the US assured Israel of its support in the event of such a war. And then they announced that they'd be unlikely to help if Iran became involved. So what's really happening? Well, both Israel and Hezbollah are rattling their sabers, suggesting that if war comes, the other side will suffer greatly. And in one sense, that's true. If war comes, Israel will do everything it can to try to wipe out Hezbollah's military ability. On the other side, Hezbollah will try to knock out Israel's power generating stations, its water desalination plants, its military bases and airports and other vital infrastructure. And both Iran and the US remain the wild cards. To what extent would they enter the fight now? As a result, much of the saber rattling is an attempt to get the other side to back down. Neither really wants a war, at least not right now. Israel wants Hezbollah to move away from the border so its people can return there in the north. And Hezbollah wants the war in Gaza to end so that they can claim victory in their support of Hamas. Surprisingly, there is at least some reason for optimism. A look beyond all the headlines, and you can see that both sides have stayed within clearly defined red lines. Hezbollah has fired rockets into Galilee, but they've not fired their long range rockets toward Tel Aviv or other cities in Israel. And Israel hasn't launched a ground invasion into Lebanon. So while each side is making threats, neither has crossed certain red lines that would lead to all out war. The restraint is deliberate. Now. The situation could change very quickly and dramatically, but right now it seems as if neither side wants to be the first to launch that all out war.
S1: Charlie. Looking at the situation up north, it seems to me that until that whole thing with Hezbollah is resolved, there is going to be absolutely no return to tourism, at least in its, you know, fuller state.
S2: Well, it's interesting. There are there are tourists coming back. In fact, uh, the bus driver that I used that you know, so well, uh, sent me a picture of a group that was there touring in Israel. But, uh, the number of tours is limited, and, uh, right now the tours can't get up to. The border with Lebanon. So obviously the very far northern part of Israel is out of bounds.
S1: Well, story number two, Prime Minister Netanyahu's ruling coalition is in trouble. Can the current government survive or will Israel be forced into new elections?
S2: Yeah, the cracks in the current coalition are definitely widening. Benny Gantz pulled his faction out of the War Cabinet, and that was troubling. But it didn't cause the coalition to collapse. But other problems facing the government, though they might be less obvious, are very real and very dangerous for that coalition. The coalition failed to achieve a bill designed to give funds to Chasse, the religious party, to create jobs for its supporters. That caused a source from within Shas to declare the coalition's days are numbered. And then the High Court just this week issued a unanimous ruling saying the government must begin drafting ultra-Orthodox men into the Israeli Defense Force and discontinue funding draft eligible men studying at religious schools. Currently, there are over 60,000 ultra-Orthodox students exempt from military service. The ultra-Orthodox parties have in the past said this is a red line, and it could cause them to leave the government, at least as far as Netanyahu is going. He's been doing everything possible to keep all the coalition plates spinning. But the unity that appeared following the October 7th attacks seems to be rapidly falling away now. At some point, one of these issues will become so great that a coalition partner will bolt, joining the opposition in a vote of no confidence. And when that happens, new elections will have to be called. Now, that doesn't mean Netanyahu will be gone. He remains in charge until after the elections and until after a new coalition can be formed. And that can take a while, since they have to garner 61 seats together to form that coalition in the Knesset. But change does seem to be coming sooner rather than later.
S1: You're listening to The Land and the book from Moody Radio. Our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer, noted Old Testament scholar, frequent Israel traveler. I'm John Geiger, working our way through a list of current events stories. Iran continues to push toward the development of nuclear weapons. Could the Middle East and the rest of the world be rushing toward nuclear war?
S2: Well, you know, I'm glad to be able to view these events through a biblical grid, no matter what circumstances might look like. We know God is in control. He does have a plan, and it does include a future for the nation of Israel. You know, that's not going to change, but from a human perspective, the world does seem to be getting more dangerous. Global spending on nuclear weapons. It was up 13% last year. The largest increase in spending was by the US, followed by China. Russia is reportedly revising its nuclear doctrine to make it easier to use its nuclear weapons in a conflict. Israel is most concerned about Iran because they believe Iran will use its nuclear weapons against Israel once they acquire them. Now, as a result, Israel has been modernizing its nuclear arsenal, even though they don't publicly acknowledge even having nuclear weapons. One report suggests Israel has the eighth largest stockpile of stored nuclear weapons, and that report said the number was 90. But a book written several years ago by Seymour Hersh suggests the number could be as high as 200 nuclear weapons. No one outside Israel, though, really knows. What does seem to be clear is that Israel has said it won't allow the Iranians to possess nuclear weapons, and that's more than just political rhetoric. Iran has built several of its nuclear facilities hundreds of feet underground to protect them against attack by Israel. But Israeli leaders have said no facility is beyond their ability to attack. So unless the US and the West force Iran to stop or step in to somehow stop them, we might learn. If Israel does have just such a plan.
S1: Well, imagine a mountain of salt as tall as Masada along the shore of the Dead Sea. That's actually a concern being voiced now by geologists over a plan to pile up excess salt from the Dead Sea. How serious is this problem? Or, Charlie, should we just kind of take these warnings with a grain of salt?
S2: Yeah, well, the headline does need to be taken with that so-called grain of salt. The Dead Sea is being mined for its chemicals, but the one chemical they don't really want is the salt. The companies in Israel and Jordan pump dead sea water into drying ponds at the southern end of the sea and then extract bromine, phosphate, magnesium and potash at what's left, which is common. Salt remains. And they throw it back and it sinks to the bottom. And the problem is the salt's been collecting at the bottom in that area at a rate of nearly eight inches a year, which has been raising the water level and threatening to flood the hotels along the shore. Starting in 2020, the government required the salt to be dredged from the seabed and returned to the northern part of the Dead Sea. Now they've been collecting it 16,000,000m³ of salt every year, but they still haven't worked out an approved plan for redepositing it. And in the meantime, it's piling up along the shore and near the northern end of that. Tongue of land that divides the Dead Sea in two. The head of the state's Israel Geological Survey claimed at a conference that in six years that mountain of salt could be not only visible from Masada, but would be as tall as Masada, which is 1400ft. Now, I don't want to minimize the problem because it does need to be resolved, but it seems there are ways to spread that salt out and not make that giant mountain. But in the meantime, if you travel to Israel, just beware. If your guide points to a large pile of salt near Masada and says it's the pillar of salt from God's judgment on lot's wife, uh, it's not quite that old.
S1: Much more to come in today's program, including a conversation next with a lady who remembers Hitler's motorcade passing by. All ahead on the land. And the book. As a ten year old girl, Leona Gudat watched Hitler's motorcade pass by their home in Insterburg, East Prussia. Within a few short months, Insterburg was smoldering in ruins when Leona's mother and her four children scrambled over bricks, broken glass and scorched beams. Why? To escape the ravages of World War two. Stay listening for the story of a German girl in war torn Europe who moves from fear to freedom. Hey, welcome to segment two of the land and the book I'm John Gager. If we've never met before, I cannot wait to introduce you to today's guest. But first, here's a way to put a spotlight on Jesus as you interact with a Jewish friend. The Old Testament is rich with prophecy. How much of that, though, can you really talk about in a conversation with your Jewish friend? For example, what about Daniel's prophecies concerning the Maccabees and the events of Hanukkah? Roy Schwartz is with Chosen People Ministries. Are we on safe ground talking about this kind of stuff?
S3: Sure. For a Gentile to know about Hanukkah. Are you kidding me? Especially to know that it was spoken of by the Jewish prophet Daniel. Don't get into the New Testament necessarily. Just talk about the reality that God, through the prophet Daniel, foreshadowed and foresaw the actual events of Antiochus and the events of Hanukkah. Now, most Christians don't know that, but I suggest you study that and see how Daniel and Hanukkah fit together, and that will blow the mind of a Jewish person that you are interested in those things. All right.
S1: So maybe we need to do a little work on our own history and then reach out and share those prophecies from Daniel as a tool to bridge into the life of your unsaved Jewish friend. Roy Schwartz is with chosen People Ministries. Always a pleasure to have him in the studio. Leona Brown survived the Russian occupation of her hometown in World War Two. She's been a mentor to thousands since then, faithfully teaching that God is a refuge to those striving to move from fear to freedom. Using her personal story of how her family found Christ relevant during wartime. She inspires eager listeners to find Jesus as their all sufficient source of strength. She's written several books, including Refuge and From Fear to Freedom. It's a great honor to welcome you to the land and the book, Leona.
S4: Thank you so much.
S1: When the drama of World War Two unfolded, you were living in Insterburg, East Prussia. Put that on a modern map for us.
S4: East Prussia was an area that was German and it was bordering Russia. On today's map, it's no longer called East Prussia. It's called Lithuania, Russia and Poland.
S1: Well, that had to be quite a moment. Watching Hitler's motorcade passing by directly in front of your home. What do you recall?
S4: I don't recall a lot of jubilant people, everybody with their arms raised to give the Hitler welcome to Hitler himself. I was standing there and thinking, oh, in a short time I will be joining the Hitler Youth. I could not wait to become one of Hitler's chosen young people, because I was looking forward to the wonderful sports festivals stretching my muscles for my leader. He told me he loves me and I was brainwashed to sing love songs to him. That's what I was dreaming about. But that song in my heart and mind changed later. Hmm.
S1: What was the turning point for that change when you realized the truth?
S4: The turning point for the change was when we had to leave our hometown. Why did we have to leave it? Because the bombs were falling. I had no clue why, but they were dropping on loved ones. Folks from church, church folks were dying. I had no idea why all of this was going on. And slowly things started to change. We had to leave our town finally with my grandma and ended up not too far from Berlin, a little town called Lipina. Now it's Poland. And on the last day of school in that part of Poland, I was not fast enough for the teacher to get up and give the Heil Hitler salute in class. The teacher called me forward in front of the whole class and slapped my face so hard that the fingerprints were left on my cheeks for days. Wow. That was my last day of school under the Hitler regime.
S1: They were the last representatives of a town of 5000 residents. All others had been murdered, forced to flee or starve to death. Leona Brown's story unfolds today on the land in the book where we have traveled to the Everlasting Nation Museum in Chattanooga. All this time. Are you a believer in Jesus?
S4: Not yet, but I have the most wonderful examples ahead of me and with me and around me. My mom, for instance, my dad had been drafted into the German army in 1939 already, so we were separated from him in 1944 for five, six years already. And the adults all around me, when things were in such turmoil, nobody knew where the loved ones were still living, whether they were dead, where they were. There was peace, peace, calmness. And I saw all of that in their souls, and I knew there was something different about it. And I was still fearful when my mom took us four children into the corner of a couch or a room full of 29 people and prayed, Lord Jesus, take all of us. Don't let one of my children remain behind. That made me perk up. Let all of us. I didn't really know what she meant. Did that mean I could die for a mom to pray that prayer? Yes.
S1: And when did you understand that Jesus needed to be your Savior, not just something that your mom was interested in?
S4: Exactly. That didn't come until several years later when we were in West Germany already.
S1: Well, let's talk about that. For 16 months, you lived under Russian occupation. Your family was among the last. The others had been murdered. How did you survive?
S4: Number one prayer. The adults in our home prayed. It was very dangerous for women, especially to be outside among the Russian. Troops after they had invaded that part of Germany because they were on their way to Berlin to get Hitler as quickly as they possibly could. And then my brother and I, we were the chosen ones to go out and see, scrounge around abandoned farms for something edible. We found abandoned areas on farms where potatoes laid in for the winter. We brought them home and my mom fixed them soup. So how did we live? I don't really know. I just knew it was a miracle. But the greatest miracle was when the gentleman who took us in a stranger, we had never seen him here was a mom with four kids, and an elderly grandma took us into his home. He lived by himself, and he would usually get a certain amount of potatoes rolled in from the street right into his basement, and he got the bill from the farmer, and he said, I didn't order two batches of potatoes for the whole winter. And he said, well, that's what you have now. You have to use them. And that was the start of our not starving right away. And for my mom not getting boiled on her legs and for my brother not having boils on his legs and for our swollen bellies, that was a start of a great miracle. The whole survival was a miracle. Also, when my brother got a little pig's head from a Russian at one time. Oh, that was soup for days and days, huh?
S1: Well, imagine surviving 16 months under Russian occupation during World War Two. Today, on the land in the book, we have traveled to the Everlasting Nation Museum. It's our honor to visit with Liana Brown. Describe some of the brutal treatment that you observed or maybe even experienced.
S4: I'm glad you said some of them because most of the time we spent in that little farmhouse was just a time of fear. Fear. The Russians would come in ready to shoot anybody putting a pistol on my mom's forehead in front of us kids. Stalin had given the command to misuse every German female age didn't matter. So the women were always trying to hide. My mom and her sister in law ran into the outhouse in the little farm courtyard. As the preacher was doing some work in the courtyard. He was in his late 70s. I looked out of the kitchen window and here was this soldier with a sword right above the preacher. That was a scary moment. Another scary moment was when the war was finally over. My mom had dared go to Berlin with lots of other folks. Yes, to find out if my dad was still alive. When she came back, she was taken captive by two Russians. They came and held their guns and her back. That was a scary moment for me, because.
S1: You were there at that train station to meet her.
S4: I was there to meet her, and the two Russian soldiers came and whisked her away. And she said, no, no, my children, my children, I want my children. And they kept pushing her with their rifles toward a dungeon, a literal dungeon. My mom turned around, but this is my daughter's birthday. It was my 12th birthday. She was thrown into a Russian jail. We had no idea whether we would ever see her again, but the Lord took over. He blessed her testimony there as she was pushed into. This was January in Germany. It gets pretty cold, but she was trying to be a comforter to those who were in that same dungeon.
S1: What was the lowest point of this experience? As you look back a moment when you said, this is so awful, I really don't think we're going to make it the lowest moment.
S4: Oh, I was on the road with my brother again and the Russian saw me. And as I mentioned before, Stalin's command, he was beginning to chase me down, running after me. I heard the gun clicking, clicking, clicking. And I thought, this is the end, this is the end. And I ran faster and faster and faster. And even at that time, even though I was not yet a born again Christian, the Lord gave me good legs and I could outrun the rapist.
S1: And you did, I did.
S4: I'm here.
S1: Your family managed to survive and was reunited. What was that moment like?
S4: Well, after 16 months of living a fearful life constantly from morning till night, we escaped and ended up in Berlin. And you American people gave us some soup to eat. Oh, what a joy. We went farther into West Germany and lived in a refugee camp. My dad. Where was he? My mom had found out in the meantime through a postcard that he wrote. That was a sign of life. Because for three years, my mom didn't know whether he was alive and he didn't know whether we were alive. And the day of the reunion came seven and a half years later in a refugee camp. We had one little room, two bunk beds with straw, of course. And my mom was sleeping on a cot. And when my dad finally came home, there was no room for him to even sleep in our room. He had to sleep in a public hallway right across from the public restrooms. But the joy of my mom and us four kids in this refugee camp, we lived for another several years.
S1: Eventually, you made it to the United States, where there are a growing number of believers today who believe that persecution is coming here. Do you agree? And does today's America feel a bit to you like the prelude to World War two?
S4: Well, I see what's coming here. There's a lot of fear in people. They fear this. They fear that persecution is beginning to start. Pro-lifers are no longer liked athletes who give a clear testimony of knowing the Lord Jesus Christ personally are shunned. Yes, there is persecution. I don't know if there was any persecution before that in East Prussia, but I know 76 preachers in our area were thrown into a concentration camp.
S1: If you had 30s to speak to every believer in America, what would you want them to hear from you?
S4: I would say I thank the Lord for having given me, my family and me true freedom in this country in preparation for any war or anything that might be coming up. There is a must for every human being because God gave His Son to die on Calvary's cross, and he did that for every single person, for you and for me. And if you tell me, oh, I'm a good church member, I do all these good deeds. I must be going to heaven. Are you sure you're going to go that way? No, you can't be, because that's not the truth. The truth is, we have to say, Lord Jesus, I'm a sinner. Please come into my heart and save me and mean it and live for God and for Christ, and have this faith should the bad days come in this country.
S1: Lianna Brown what a story. From fear to freedom. There's a link to her books at our web site, the land and the book. Org. Looking forward to a visit with Charlie Dyer. He's got answers to your Bible questions next here on the land and the book. If you're a regular listener to the land of the book, you know what this next segment is all about. And if you're new, well, let me share it with you. I'm John Gager and our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer, has his Bible open. Why? Because you have sent in questions via email, and we're here to answer those questions. Charlie, before we get to our first question of the day, something we should all be thinking about, how do you share the gospel with a Jewish person? Because of cultural, historical, and religious differences, it's sometimes challenging to navigate a gospel conversation with somebody from a Jewish background. Maybe you've wondered how the professionals do it. Yeah, and.
S2: To answer that question, our friends at Life and Messiah want to mail you samples of the tracks their staff use as they share the gospel. These will serve a dual purpose. They'll equip you with methods of presenting the gospel, and also supply you with tracks you can share with your Jewish friends and neighbors. Life in Messiah's Prayer is that these tracks will help further the spread of the gospel among the Jewish people. To receive this helpful assortment of tracks, all you need to do is visit life in Messiah org and click on the Moody Radio button there for more information. That's Life in messiah.org. Don't miss out on this great opportunity.
S1: All right, we'll kick off today's Q&A session with one from my wife Diana, who says, in my Bible study we were discussing heaven, specifically eternal rewards. And my question is, when we get to heaven, we get crowns to lay at Jesus feet. But is there a time of accountability? Are we held accountable for, say, missed opportunities? And will there really be rewards?
S2: Yeah, and three groups of passages come to mind. And the first is Paul's letter to the Corinthians. In first Corinthians three, Paul talks about our building on the foundation of Christ that he laid, and he divides the kind of work we do into gold, silver, precious stones, meaning good things, and wood, hay, stubble, which are not. And he makes it clear that this doesn't determine our salvation, but it does relate to rewards for faithfulness. And he seems to come back to this same idea of rewards or lack of rewards later in Second Corinthians 510. Now the second passage that comes to mind is Colossians three. In verses 24 and 25, there Paul talks about our receiving the inheritance as our reward. The third that comes to mind is first Timothy 617 to 19, where Paul talks about storing up treasures for ourselves by doing good. Now I see this being similar to Jesus's words in Luke 12, where he talks about storing up treasures for ourselves in heaven. I think we'll appear before the Bema Seat judgment of Jesus to give an account of our faithfulness while here on earth. It has nothing to do with our salvation, but it will impact our future reward and service for eternity. We'll have different places of service in the Millennial Kingdom. The apostles were told they would sit on 12 thrones judging the 12 tribes of Israel, and I used to teach my students this way. I'd say it's somewhat tongue in cheek, that someday someone's going to be in charge of running the city of Chicago during the millennium, and someone else might be in charge of running the dog pound. And depending on how faithful we were here in this life.
S1: Well, Charlie, you know, having said that, is it not possible that the verse that says he will wipe away all tears from their eyes? Is there a connect point there? Because we'll say, hmm, I guess I really blew it. You know, I didn't invest eternally as I ought to have. Or am I reading too far into it?
S2: No, I think you're exactly right. I think that the fact that he wipes tears from our eyes says that we won't have kind of a remorse. But I think when it happens, we'll go. This is fair. I got exactly what I deserve. And yes, I did fail in what I should have done for.
S1: Christ, Pat says. I have read in various commentaries that the Apostle Paul was released from his imprisonment in Rome and traveled on, as was his plan to a missionary journey to Spain. Then later on in his return to Rome, he was imprisoned a second time, which ended up in his execution. But I've read elsewhere, however, that Paul was never released from his imprisonment in Rome. Is there a reliable church tradition that verifies Paul was indeed imprisoned in Rome twice?
S2: Even better than the church tradition? I think the Bible helps us answer this question. You know, Luke gives us a very detailed itinerary of Paul's travels in the different missionary journeys in the book of acts, but there are points in some things Paul says in his letters that don't match up with the book of acts. For example, Philemon, verse 22, Paul writes one more thing prepare a guest room for me, because I hope to be restored to you and answer to your prayers. Well, Paul never visited Colossae during his missionary journey, but he was planning on doing so. Evidently, according to that verse in first Timothy one verse three, Paul says to Timothy, I urged you when I went to Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus, so that you may command certain men not to teach false doctrine. But there was never a time in the book of acts when Paul left Timothy in Ephesus, while he traveled on into Macedonia, and then in Titus one five, Paul wrote, the reason I left you in Crete was. And then he gives an explanation. But he never stopped or ministered in Crete. He only passed through on his way to Rome, on as a prisoner on the ship. And it tells me that Paul likely visited Colossae, and that he certainly visited Ephesus again, leaving Timothy there and Crete leaving Titus there. And one final detail Paul wrote the book of Romans from Corinth toward the end of. His third missionary journey, and in Romans 15 he told him he hoped to visit Rome while passing through on his way to Spain. That suggests he had a plan to preach the gospel there in Spain. Now, if I put all that together, I suspect when Paul was released from prison in Rome, he traveled first to Spain. He then went back to Crete and Ephesus, where he also went inland and visited Colossae. And then he left Titus in Ephesus and traveled to Troas and on to Philippi. And somewhere in Macedonia is likely where he was arrested for the second time, and then taken to Rome, not even having time to go back and retrieve his cloak, which he then tells Timothy to bring to him in Rome.
S1: Why do you think Luke left us hanging at the end of acts? One scholar suggests that perhaps Luke died before Paul was brought before Nero. Do you think that's plausible? Is there any reliable church tradition that gives us additional information?
S2: Yeah, well, I think the reason Luke ended the book of acts as he did, was to show the gospel had arrived in Rome, which at that time was the center of the Gentile universe. The book of Luke and acts together are something like a funnel. You know, Luke moves from starting with the decree of Caesar from Rome, all the way down to the events in Jerusalem, with the death and resurrection of Jesus. And the book of Acts then begins in Jerusalem and describes the impact of Christ's death and resurrection until it arrives back in Rome at the end of acts. So Luke stopped in Rome because it was the equivalent of saying the gospel had now reached the world in terms of Luke dying before Paul appeared before Nero. I can say for certain, Luke hadn't died before Paul was brought before Nero. And I say that because of two verses in second Timothy. In second Timothy 411, Paul says, only Luke is with me, describing his final time in Rome. And then in verses 16 to 17 he describes his appearing before Nero. So Luke was with Paul right up to the very end, and I find that really encouraging.
S1: It's the land and the book from Moody Radio, our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer. I'm John Jaeger, loving your questions. This one from Bernie. Hebrews nine verse four refers to the altar of incense as being located within the Holy of Holies with the Ark of the covenant in Exodus 30, verse six, the incense altar is described as being in front of the curtain by the ark of the testimony. How do we reconcile these differences?
S2: Yeah, there are several possible explanations, but the one I personally prefer is having the word translated golden altar in Hebrews nine verse four, understood as referring to a golden censer like the censer. Aaron and later High Priest, filled with incense and coals from that altar, and then took inside the veil to the Holy of Holies on the Day of Atonement. In Leviticus 1612 and 13, Aaron was to take that censer full of burning coals from the altar before the Lord, and take him behind the curtain. While the Greek word used in Hebrews nine normally refers to the altar of incense, that same Greek word is used to refer to a censor in the Septuagint translation of Ezekiel eight and in Second Chronicles 26. In the same way, I believe the word in Hebrews nine can be understood to refer to a censer rather than just the altar of incense. I believe it is clear in the Old Testament that the altar of incense was located outside the veil, but on the day of Atonement, coals from that altar, along with the incense that would normally be placed on that altar, were brought into the Holy of Holies before God's presence above the cherubim on the mercy seat. So in that sense, the incense censer, functioning in the same way as the altar that is representing the prayers of God's people before the Lord was indeed brought inside the Holy of Holies.
S1: Brian says. Isaiah 40, verse 22 mentions the circle of the earth. Was this a reference to the spherical shape of our world? Of course, the secular humanists would try to explain this away somehow, but please give me your opinion.
S2: Yeah, I don't believe it's a reference to the spherical shape of the earth. It makes perfect sense if we just realize how people in that day viewed the world using their own human senses. Now, if you've ever stood on a flat plane, like, like in the Midwest, or when I lived in Texas for years, or on a high mountain and then looked out on the horizon, well, the earth has a circular appearance. That is, you can turn in 360 degrees and you can see the horizon all the way around. So it appears to be a complete circle with the sky then stretched out above like a dome. And the people in that day then watched the movement of the sun, the moon, the stars as they circled overhead. And as a result, in this passage, I believe Isaiah is describing the world as it was perceived by those in his day to help them understand the grandeur of God. God sits above the circle or vault of the earth and stretches out the heavens like a curtain. Now, compared to such a god, the human rulers, he goes on to say, who were threatening Israel are insignificant in their power. Now, one last detail. Some might say, well, that's rather unscientific to describe creation that way, but I don't see that as a problem since we do exactly the same thing. You know, my smartphone tells me the exact minute for sunrise and sunset each day. But of course, we know the sun doesn't technically rise or set in a scientific sense. It's the Earth's rotation around that gives the appearance of the sun rising. Yet we still. Use that same kind of terminology because it describes what appears to happen from our own human perspective. Now, that's similar to what Isaiah was doing in using the terminology that was in place in his own day.
S1: Last question will the saints who die during the tribulation come back with Christ to fight in the battle of Armageddon?
S2: Well, according to revelation 24, the answer is no. Jesus returns to earth in revelation 19, and then revelation 20 says, and I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of the testimony of Jesus, and they come to life and reign with Christ a thousand years. So it appears that the martyred tribulation saints are not resurrected until after Jesus returns.
S1: Interesting question. And there's more to come. Charlie's devotional. It's next here on Moody Radio's The Land and the book. So are you a big 4th of July fan? I'll never forget when our first granddaughter came along. She described it Charlie as 4th July, 4th July. And I understand, though, that not the 4th of July, but somebody else's proclamation of liberty is very much in the focus of your devotional today.
S2: It is today, John. All right.
S1: Leviticus 2510 is where we're headed. You say, what's that got to do with proclaiming liberty? You'll find out after this Holy Land experience.
S5: Hi, I'm Kathleen. I've read so many times of the Exodus and Moses trekking through the desert, and I pictured this flat surface. And guess what? Now I know why all the Jews complained. Yeah, that ground is anything but level. It just is such a horrible trek. I don't know how they did it for 40 years.
S6: Hi, my name is Lynn and my Holy Land experience was an awakening to me. I always thought that the wilderness was a flat, plain, dry and just very desolate. But when we were at the Wadi Kilte and I saw those hills up and down, and I thought to myself, you know, that's so much like life. You have the mountaintop experiences, the low valleys where you run into problems. But God is with you all the time, molding you, shaping you to do his will.
S1: All right, Charlie, I'm looking forward to hearing what you've got to say about proclaiming liberty in your devotional today.
S2: Well, thanks, John. Well, this coming week, Americans celebrate the 4th of July, the day in 1776 when the Continental Congress adopted the Declaration of Independence. You know, in Canada, this week also marks Canada Day, the day Britain made Canada a self-governing dominion within the British Empire. Now, growing up in Pennsylvania, I made my pilgrimage to Philadelphia to visit Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell, and I learned that Independence Hall was originally the Pennsylvania State House. In fact, it wasn't until 1824, when the now elderly French Revolutionary War hero Marquis de Lafayette returned to Philadelphia and referred to the building as the House of independence, and that's when the current name gained popularity. The Liberty Bell has a similar history. The Bell was originally commissioned to commemorate the 50th anniversary of William Penn's Charter of Privileges, the state's original constitution, and there were three versions of the bell. The first version, imported from England, cracked when it was originally rung shortly after being hung in 1753. It was then melted down and a second version was recast later that spring, but no one was pleased with how it sounded, so the local foundry melted it down and tried a third time, but that sound was still disappointing. Another bell was brought from England, but it didn't sound any better. So the original bell, now in its third version, is what remained in place. The crack in the bell didn't happen when the bell sounded to announce the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Hairline cracks had appeared over time, but the major crack that made the bell unusable happened in 1846, when it was rung to celebrate Washington's birthday. But by then it had also taken on a new name. The bell was originally simply called the Statehouse bell, but it was used as a cover drawing in an 1837 edition of an anti-slavery magazine, and it was the abolitionists who named it the Liberty Bell, in large part because of the inscription written on it. And that lengthy introduction now brings me to my message for today. The inscription on the Liberty Bell is a quotation from the King James Version of Leviticus 2510 proclaim liberty throughout all the land onto all the inhabitants thereof. The abolitionists saw in this quote a biblical injunction to free all slaves and prisoners, and their name for the bell stuck. But that leads us to a book of the Bible that's uncharted territory for many believers today. Leviticus, with its detailed emphasis on offerings, purification rituals, festivals and numerous other regulations, seems almost overwhelming to church age saints. And in many ways that's sad, because even though the church is not Israel, nor are we under the law, yet, Leviticus has much to say about practical holiness. It helps us understand what it means to live in a way that reflects God's holiness. One practical aspect of all this is God's proclamation of the year of Jubilee in Leviticus 25. Every seventh year was to be a sabbatical year when the people were to let the land lie fallow. But immediately after the seventh of these sabbatical years, spanning a cycle of 49 years, God then announced a jubilee year, consecrate the 50th year, and proclaim liberty throughout the land to all its inhabitants. It shall be a jubilee for you. Each one of you is to return to his family property, and each to his own clan. At first this additional year sounds like a year of hardship. Do not so, and do not reap what grows of itself or harvest the untended vines, for it is a jubilee and is to be holy for you. Eat only what is taken directly from the fields for two years in a row. Israel isn't to sow seed or tend its vines. They could only eat what they had stored up before or what grew of itself during that period. In essence, God called on the people once every generation to exercise the supreme test of obedience and trust. Can you trust God to meet your physical needs for two years, and God did promise to meet those needs. I will send you such a blessing in the sixth year that the land will yield enough for three years. The year of Jubilee wasn't simply about trusting God to meet their needs. It was also a time for people to return to their own property. That is, those who had been forced to sell their land because of financial necessity were now to have their land returned. In essence, those who had bought the land weren't actually buying it. They were just buying the number of crops it would produce until the next year of Jubilee. God was very clear on the issue of land ownership. The land must not be sold permanently because the land is mine and you are but aliens and my tenants. God also provided strict laws when it came to selling someone into slavery. If one of your countrymen becomes poor among you and sells himself to you, do not make him work as a slave. He is to be treated as a hired worker or a temporary resident among you. He is to work for you until the year of Jubilee. Then he and his children are to be restored. He will go. To his own clan and to the property of his forefathers. Slavery is commonly practiced in that day was not to be practiced by Israel. The year of jubilee guaranteed freedom. History tells us that Israel struggled to obey these regulations. In Jeremiah 34, the prophet described a time of extreme distress when King Zedekiah made a covenant with all the people in Jerusalem to proclaim freedom for the slaves. Everyone was to free his Hebrew slaves, both male and female. No one was to hold a fellow Jew in bondage. So all the officials and people who entered into this covenant agreed that they would free their male and female slaves and no longer hold them in bondage. They agreed and set them free. But afterward they changed their minds and took back the slaves they had freed and enslaved them again. And God judged the people for their disobedience. You have not obeyed me. You have not proclaimed freedom for your fellow countrymen. So I now proclaim freedom for you, declares the Lord. Freedom to fall by the sword and plague and famine. God used the sabbatical years and the year of jubilee as object lessons for his people. Practical examples of what it meant to walk by faith, trusting God and treat others with dignity and respect. And it was no accident that the year of Jubilee began as the Day of Atonement was ending. Have the trumpets sounded everywhere on the 10th day of the seventh month, on the Day of Atonement, sound the trumpet throughout your land. The Day of Atonement was God's provision for sin, and it's followed immediately by a trumpet blast announcing the start of the 50th year, the year of Jubilee, to proclaim liberty throughout the land. John Peter Lange perhaps focused on that connection when he wrote the proclamation of Freedom was the most appropriate. Just after the great reconciliation of the people with God had been symbolically completed. There's so much more we could say. But what does the 4th of July, the Liberty Bell, and Leviticus 2510 have to do with you this coming week? How about this? God has set us free from the penalty and power of sin in our lives. He's given us spiritual liberty, and yet we still find ourselves struggling, just like Israel did when they weren't allowed to plant or harvest for an additional year. But God says to us, just like he said to them, trust me and follow my instructions. I will go before you and meet your needs. And throughout this journey, I will teach you lessons that can only be learned this way. Or, as the songwriter put it, trust and obey, for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus but to trust and obey. Do so and you will discover true liberty.
S1: Thank you Charlie, very appropriate, very seasonal and as always, very biblical. Really appreciate that. Well, you know, we would love it if you'd share an email with us. Let us know how the broadcast is impacting your life. Making a difference for you. Why don't you connect with us at The Land and the book at Moody Dot Edu? That's the land and the book@moody.edu. And we encourage you to visit our website at the Land and the book.org for Danny Anderson, our producer, Charlie Dyer, our host, I'm John Gager, thanking you for listening to The Land and the book, a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.