S1: Coming to you from the Morning Star Mission sponsored studio. This is Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Dancing on the grave I once lived in. I got a that's a new song to me. I have not heard that one before. Uh, it's it's good. And it just provokes something inside me that I'm going to ask you right now. Boom crew, to respond to what is the grave that you once lived in. What was going on there? What did God set you free from? I know it's not Freedom Friday, but every day is Freedom Day when we're in Christ Jesus. What's that grave that God set you free from? You know, I tell my story here often, and, um, one of the reasons that I do is that story is one of the greatest portals to see what in the world God can do. When you hear somebody else's story, you go, whoa, that's awesome. So we're going to go around the horn here just quickly, um, and we're just going to say just little shots of what did God set us free from. And then I want to hear your text message. You know what? Call in right now. 800 555 7898. Right now, give us a call 800 555 7898. What are you praising God for? You're dancing on the grave that God set you free from 800 555 7898. Give us a call right now. You know, it's interesting for me. Oftentimes you might look at my cocaine addiction or my pretty serious addiction to alcohol. Really. It was an addiction to filling that void. And I think at the end of the day, all of us are just trying to fill that void that Pascal spoke so eloquently about, that god-shaped void that only he can fill. And so for me and my colleagues, I can speak for all of us. It was self. I mean, at the end of the day, no doubt self. Right? Yeah. It just manifests itself in different ways. So around the horn Super-d self, what are you dancing on the grave of?
S3: Um, hatred. Revenge. Yeah.
S2: Wow. Yeah. It's one thing to get beat up. It's another thing to want retribution.
S3: Absolutely. You know, and to carry that around, like I said, like. Like you've got an and, you know, like cement in your backpack.
S2: Yeah. It's heavy. Young thunder.
S4: Yeah. I'm dancing on the grave of secrets. Hiding. I was really good at living a double life. And I don't have to anymore.
S2: It's a powerful statement. That's a powerful statement, Ali.
S5: Um. Dancing on the grave of self-righteousness and performance.
S2: What a powerful thing, huh?
S5: Yeah.
S2: What a powerful thing. Isn't. Isn't that funny? I think we talk about stories, and we get to almost too fixated on the manifestation of self. But if we boil it all down, it's just at the center of our problem was super die young Thunder Alley Ali and Carl.
S4: Yeah.
S3: There you go.
S2: At the center of our problem, it was us.
S4: Well, I mean, that's why. That's why Jesus talks about dying to self taking up your cross. It doesn't mean you have to literally go on one. But we have to. Our old selves need to be crucified. Yeah, man.
S2: It's powerful. Taking your phone calls right now. What are you dancing on the grave of? Give us a call. Let's go. Come on, let's go. Boom! Crew, this is your show. What are you dancing on the grave of 805, 55, 78, 98, 805 five, five, 78, 98. What a cool little thing. Sometimes we want to respond to these songs around here because they aren't like we're doing content. And then we throw in a song because we got to let Young Thunder go to the restroom or something. That's not what we do around here. Wow. We're just grooving along here today. 805, 55, 78, 98. What's the grave that you're dancing on today. It ultimately goes back to self. But what is it? Let's get a smattering of these. Let's get them in Lightning Round and let's go 800 555 7898. Let's stand and testify. If you've been redeemed by God, I want to hear it far and wide all across the United States right now. 800 555 7898. Thinking of folks right now, by the way, we can do multiple things at one time in the Nashville Brentwood area. I just texted a friend of mine, Al Henson, who's down there. The big front went through about 40 minutes ago, so they're on the tail end of it. But boy, there is a swath of devastation going on right now. They're expecting generational flooding in that whole region. I think little Rock all the way up kind of angling northeasterly. And it's a big band, big tornadoes. Category three. They call them Cat three. I don't think they're called Cat three. Four Tornadoes?
S4: Yeah, I don't think so.
S2: What the right lingo is for that. It's not a category that's a hurricane. But yeah, figure. Figure out what the bigger yes is there, guys? 800 555 7898 800 555 7898. Let's go. Boom! Crew. I know it's early, but there are thousands upon thousands of you listening right now, and we're needing you to go lightning round. In fact, let's go. Let's light up these phone lines. I'm asking you to testify. What are you praising God for today that he set you free from? Let's go. We've got to. This is very important. We gotta get our chops kind of dialed in on this thing. We got to get to the point where we're saying, man, I'm ready to testify at the drop of a dime here. 805. Five. Five. 78. 98. Waiting for the phone lines to light up. I'm going to keep it right here, man. I'm an old preacher. I don't mind pregnant pauses or waiting a little bit. Doesn't matter to me a bit. 800 555 7898. What are you praising God for? What did he set you free from what died in you so that you could have eternal life. 800 555 7898. Waiting for these phone lines to light up. This is fun. While I'm waiting. Take it away.
S5: You know it's cool. Yesterday we had a staff meeting and we meet regularly just as a whole moody team and just discuss all the stuff going on. And something new we started was sharing testimonies. And yesterday Jonathan was the first up and got a chance to share in depth his testimony with the team. And obviously we've all gotten to hear bits and pieces of it here on air, but it was so encouraging. There's something so powerful about hearing what somebody set free from that. It gives you fresh hope. When you look at your life and you think, man, God can deliver you from that and God can deliver you here. And so there's so much power in that. And that was just a highlight for us yesterday, was getting to hear from from Jonathan, who shared really honestly with the whole team. And I don't know about everyone else, but I was like, whoa, this is so cool.
S2: Yeah, it was so cool.
S4: I'll just say from the sharers perspective of it, too, it's it's a great reminder of what God has done in your life, you know, to be able to share your testimony because we all know our testimonies. But to sit and think about it and say, this is how I'm going to bring it out. And then as you're bringing it out, it's just like God was faithful here. He was faithful here. His hand was moving here and in such a beautiful thing.
S2: Yeah, yeah. Phone lines beginning to warm up. But we just lack you right now as God's maybe prompting your heart. As Ali and Young Thunder were just sharing that (800) 555-7898. Let's go! Let's dance on the grave. That's not mocking. It's just a genuine celebration that God has set you free. 800 555 7898.
S1: She was trying to earn her way to God, but God showed her she didn't have to. Ali is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: We're coming to that day when we're going to celebrate that our sins have been nailed to the cross. What an amazing thing it's found in Colossians. And what a joy that we have this morning to celebrate here, just for a moment, the fact that we're dancing on the grave of what God by His Son Jesus Christ, and the power of the Holy Spirit has given us victory over it's real man. At the end of the day, all these are manifestations of self at the center. And that's what was holding us back. Just good old fashioned self. But what do you say? Let's go to the phone lines here.
S5: Let's go to Georgina. First time caller from Alabama. Georgina, tell us God set you free. From what?
S6: From addiction. From all kinds of, uh, emotional bondage. And it's just. It's hard for me to express how the freedom. It's just. It's such a beautiful thing. God has been so good to me.
S2: Yeah. Georgina, he sure has. He sure has. We love you, sister. How long have you been?
S6: Oh, wow. I, I lost everything. Um, in my whole life. It was just so. I have been free for ten years.
S7: Wow. Wow. Wow.
S6: And it has just been just the the wildest, most beautiful, precious ride that I have ever taken.
S2: That's beautiful.
S6: And even to this day, it is still so emotional for me to talk about because he's just he has just given me a new life and has set me free. And I'm just so thankful.
S7: Yeah.
S6: Georgina, that he's done in my life.
S2: Georgina, do So be aware of something. You calling in today? Don't stop calling. Don't stop sharing. I mean, it's. We saw Young Thunder in our meeting yesterday get all teared up. And it's awesome because real men cry, great women cry. It's an awesome thing. Georgina, stay on the horn. You didn't call in for this, but you're getting a call and crew prize pack today, sister. Love you. Christina. First time caller right here in Illinois. What do you say? What's your story?
S8: Hey, good morning, Carl and crew. I so enjoy listening to you guys on a daily basis. I always say mine. I love Georgina's testimony. Mine is somewhat common, and I've been delivered from just relying on the opinions of others as far as criticisms and relationships and, you know, people having negative things to say about me or not liking me in certain ways. So it's been a lonely life as far as friendships, but I've been really just relying on God to the utmost, and it's been such a such a deliverance for me from those past hurts. And like even growing up and experiencing some not so kind, you know, relationships and friends. So God is really like, you know, I've really put my trust in kind of connection and comfort in him. You know, just me and him.
S7: Yeah.
S2: Christina. Isn't it awesome? And, Ashley, I want you to weigh in and affirm our sister here. It's so awesome when we get freed from the the the bondage to other people's opinion of us.
S8: Yes.
S5: Man. Christina. I'm right there with you. I'm nodding my head. I'm affirming like, yes. That feeling of man. What are they thinking? What are they saying? What? The criticism that someone makes one comment that feels critical. And you? For five years, you can still be thinking about that. That's a beautiful thing to say. I've got freedom from that. Who I am in Christ is what I look to. Good stuff. Thank you. Christina, caller from Illinois.
S2: Stay on the horn. Christina. You didn't call in for a prize pack either, but you're getting one. We got time for a few more. 805, 55, 78, 98. You're dancing on the grave of what God set you free.
S5: From lots of texts coming in from you. I set free two years clean and sober and set free from an abusive relationship. Set free from selfishness, from addiction, from alcohol and sexual addiction. From trying to save my own soul. From self reliance. Thank you so much for your feedback by text. Still can take a couple calls. Dancing on the grave comes off of a song we heard this morning. We said we got to hear. What is that you've been set free from? You're dancing on the grave of what? 800 555 7898?
S1: It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: So when were you blown away by something you have been following? Jesus. Let's just take a scenario. You've been following Jesus for a year or 2 or 10 or 40 or 90. Let's just go there and you're following God and you're trucking down this path, and and he's been so good to you. And then. Shazam! Out of the blue, you realize something about God's character, his nature and the way he works that you did not know until now. And it's like, whoa, I didn't know that, but now I do. This is beautiful. Pop quiz for my team. What is it for you guys?
S4: I think for me, I have made the mistake in the past of of not living in God's truth, of him being slow to anger. You know, if I made a mistake or I was, I was I was slow to following him. I always was kind of like, oh, he's so mad at me right now. The the longer it takes for me to get it together, the more angry with me he's gonna be. And I gotta get it right now. And so pressurized.
S2: So his predisposition is God's ticked. And you better keep it in line here, buddy, because he's gonna snap at the drop of a hat.
S4: Basically, it's like a needle. It's like happy, happy, happy mistake, upset, you know? And it's like, fix it right away or it's immediately angry. And so, you know, it was is very fickle. But he's not.
S7: Yeah.
S2: So he's forbearing. He's good. He's not quick to judge. He gives us a lot of mulligans, boy. God's gracious. Okay. What do you say, Ali?
S5: You know, this is maybe an obscure one, but I remember noticing in Scripture how Jesus never like he seemed to. He never begged people to follow him. And although he his desire was that everyone would, he made the bar higher and was okay if people left.
S7: OU.
S5: And I always thought that, I thought that's kind of strange. Like he would almost like make sure that they knew what like count the cost, like.
S7: Yeah, you're right on.
S5: And he was okay if people left and I thought, huh, I don't know why that that was so fascinating to me, but it was it was this realization that, like, we can have the same approach. I mean, we we can't beg and arm twist people in either, and that not everybody's going to follow Jesus. And even Jesus was okay with that as much as it grieved him. He wasn't going to lower the bar or bend over backwards or plead with people?
S7: No.
S2: You know the alley. I mean the sermon on the Mount. I go to this. You have heard it was said, Jesus says over and over again, citing Old Testament law. And he says, but I say to you, and with each I say to you. He raised the bar higher.
S7: Yeah, yeah.
S2: He didn't lower.
S7: It.
S2: It's a huge one. Super high. What do you say?
S3: For me, it's the power of redemption. I mean, I'm a mess to begin with, but God can take any of the messes within our life. The pain, the affliction. You think you're going through a valley. A valley so deep you don't even think you can climb out of it. And what God can do in the tapestry that he's making, you can't even fathom. And and to watch it and to look back and see where he's brought you and what he's done with those situations is amazing to me. And just aspiring.
S2: The nature of God to pull us out of a mess and redeem what we have screwed up is truly a profound thing. You know, I have so many of these. Probably one that comes to my mind right now is vengeance is mine, I will repay. I've got this, Karl. Take your hands off of the proverbial person's throat spiritually. Sure don't have it on there physically, but man. God, I better take care of this. God says stand back. Make way for me. There's a reason why we're asking this. Because there's things that you find out about the character of God that you go.
S7: Whew, I didn't know that.
S2: So just teeing it up here. What is it about the character of God? And we're taking text messages. Ali's going to shout them out here in just a moment. Won't call out names. Last four numbers of your telephone number. That's all we're going to cite here. What have you discovered about the character, nature and the way God works that you're like, wow, that's a big deal. 800 555 7898. Let's go! Boom! Crew. 800 555 7898.
S1: She's a choreographer extraordinaire, and everything is Greek to her. Super die is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: What about God's character? The way he works in this world today? Did you not get. You might have read it. You might have heard it, but all of a sudden it's clicked. It's like, boom! This is what I've learned about God. Ali, let's go through some text messages here.
S5: Yeah, this came in by text message from 7002 that he's gentle and lowly. He mourns with us. He suffers with us. He loves us more than we can comprehend. 1930 says that there's redemption even for a man like me. 2996. He relentlessly pursues my heart. He's never given up on me. Good stuff.
S2: Yeah, there's so many things that we can look at and we find them in Scripture. We go, wow, look at this.
S9: I didn't know.
S2: This about the character of God. Ruth in Illinois. What do you say, Ruth, if you could turn us down in the background there, Ruth, we're going to get you in here. Otherwise it's going to confuse us all. Ruth, let's try it again. What do you say, Ruth?
S10: Okay. God never came to condemn us. The same kind of delight that we have as parents when our child begins to walk. God has that same kind of delight at us. He loves us, and he. He just applauds us. He encourages us. He did not come to condemn us, but to save us.
S2: Yeah, I got to tell you, I'm granddad. I'm going to go full granddad here. Way to go, Ruth. Stay on the horn. You're getting Carl and crew prize pack. Um, my wife sent me a video last night. Beautiful. So not only is little baby Kate trying to mouth words, so she's at eight weeks in three days. Not that I'm tracking it or anything, but she's. So she's trying to talk to grandma back and she's got her mouth open. And you can see she's got Joe Clawson's grin. My dad. So her mouth is. Isn't it funny how some grins are just huge and they go all the way across the face? Yes, yes, she's got that. She's got Grandpa Joe, so she's got her mouth open and her tongue's waggling around, and you can see her trying to get the tongue to the cleft. And she doesn't know how to do that yet, but she's trying with all her might. And then last night, she's the jubes. My bride takes her feet and she's doing them like a bicycle. She's sitting there in her little whatever lounger thingamajiggy. And Janine's got the bicycle legs going right. And then she stops and goes. All right, Kate. And then Kate's trying to do the bicycle thing on her own with her legs, and it's just so precious. You know what? I never thought, oh, that crazy kid can't get it right. Can't get that word formed. Ruth's right on on this one. Ali?
S5: Yeah. And that's that one in particular. Depending on what your background was like growing up, maybe you had a an earthly father who was harsh and critical or absent or unkind, or maybe you grew up in a church tradition that preached a whole lot more about hell and the wrath of God and judgment, and didn't really give you much of a picture of the grace and the love of God. You can form these misconceptions about who he is and how he feels about you.
S2: You really can. Uh, Stacy, let's get you in here in Illinois. What do you say? Stacy.
S11: Uh, that it came from you actually opened my eyes, um, and showed me in the Bible. God opens the heart. When you were talking about Lydia, uh, a few weeks ago. And I almost had to pull over the car Because it really hit me. Um, my children are now adults. And, you know, that whole feeling of being, um, having it on our shoulders that we're the ones that have to save.
S2: Yeah.
S11: Our friends and our family. But when you said, you know, lifting that burden off of us and remembering that it's God that opens the heart.
S2: Isn't that beautiful? That's a beautiful passage. Lydia. Lydia in, uh, she's a seller of purple. She's on a business trip. She's in Philippi. And she is. And hearing the word. She hadn't planned this. She went to go do her little devotional time with some women in the city center. And God opened her heart. Isn't that freeing?
S5: Yes.
S2: Anyone who's raised a kid that is not clicking with Jesus not been born again yet. Who? At his liberty. Yeah. Liberty, man. Okay. Coming up here in a moment. Huge, huge thing. We got a lot of responses coming in, so we'll highlight some of those. But coming up here in three minutes I want to give you a. I guarantee you you have sold short what God wants to do with this one thing. We need to camp out on one reality of the nature of God when it comes to fasting. That, I guarantee you, is not top of mind, but it needs to be the first words off of our lips when we're thinking about what's God's posture toward fasting. Talking about it all week long, we got a cool one for you coming up.
S1: You're listening to Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Huge deal. Guys, uh, this is now going to be top of my list when it comes to fasting. Because when we think about fasting, we can come up with all the reasons why. But, ah, it's a binary choice. And this is one of the coolest discoveries you find in the sermon on the Mount by Jesus himself. He says you can aim for the rewards of man, or you can aim for the rewards of God. But fasting is rewarded by God. Come on. We just need to stop right there and say, whoa! God rewards those who withhold food from a meal to seek his face. That's one of those. Stop the train. Let everyone on right here it is.
S5: Because you think of it as something that I should not be trying to get something out of this.
S2: It's not true. It's not true. Come on. Let's talk about this for a second. Isn't this cool? It's Jesus's words. Rewards coming. Either we do it for the eyes of man, or we do it for the heart and the eyes of God. But God, God said we got a binary choice. But the binary choice both lead to a reward. If you do it for the eyes of man. Somebody sees you and they're like, oh, wow, aren't they hot? And that's the reward. somebody has a by the way, that's not much of a reward because they might think, ah, he's arrogant, but God, who sees what's done in secret. And by the way, you know, I was thinking about this because we called it fast at 180 Chicago for 40 days leading up to Resurrection Sunday. And you might think, well, that's not done. Yes, it's done in secret, because I'm well aware of the fact that everybody's not taking this trip. No one knows who's taking the trip and who's not. But God, who sees in secret, knows when you're skipping a breakfast, skipping a lunch, skipping a dinner.
S5: Okay. So I'm going to. Can I put you on the spot?
S2: Yeah.
S5: Okay. So a lot of people are familiar with lent, and we're not going to talk about lent, but what many people take from it, it's the idea of I'm giving something up so I can get something from God that can get a little squiggly, depending on how you approach it. How do you make sure that your motivation for the reward of God is with the right heart and not some sort of manipulative. If I do this for you, God, you better do this for me.
S2: Okay. Great question Ali, and I love it when you do that because that's good. Don't ever shy away from pinning it down. I think the in Jesus's words in the sermon on the Mount, we've got to remember that everything hinges on his opening line. Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. I really believe this from the bottom of my heart. And then you go through all the beatitudes and you see those are blessed are you when you're persecuted for righteousness sake, right? Not for self righteousness sake. So there's a I see a holy hush. And the reason he was heard, and I've been at that location or thereabouts where he would have been speaking, there would have been a holy hush. See, he leveled the playing field, so to speak. You know what I'm trying to say here? Yeah, he kind of leveled it all out, going, whoa! When you realize your spiritual bankruptcy. The Kingdom of God is yours. Now let me tell you about the way the kingdom economy works. When you take a heart that knows I've got nothing apart from the grace and power of God, I am bankrupt apart from him. And I go into a fast for a meal. And that's your heart posture. Dang, you're going to be rewarded. Now isn't that awesome? Does anyone else get fired up about the prospect that we can tell people? When you fast before God with a heart that realizes your spiritual bankruptcy and you're going to him as a child that says, dad, you got it all. I'm claiming nothing myself. And he's going to reward you. Come on. Yeah.
S4: It's so good. Because why would he tell us about it if he didn't want us to have it? If he didn't want us to want it? Because it's a good reward. It's a reward that's better than anything this world could offer. So let's go get the reward.
S2: It's epic. And so I wanted to give you a fasting hit today. And this is going to be really fast. But in Daniel nine, verses three through five. Then I turned my face to the Lord, seeking him by prayer and pleas for mercy with fasting, sackcloth, and ashes. Did Daniel know that God rewards? Yes, he absolutely did. Now, so let me give you the context for this passage. This is really cool. Daniel's an old man here at this point. So he came out of Babylon. He was a contemporary. He would have known Josiah. Guys, how cool is that? My favorite king. So he was a teenager. He was about 15 to 17 years old when he comes out of Babylon into exile. He is now reading because it says here in the first year of Darius, the son of of the descendant of the Mede. He's part of the Chaldeans. He he's reading, he perceived in the books the number of years according to the word of the Lord, that Jeremiah the prophet was speaking, that there would be 70 years of this exile. Here's what's trippy. You ready for this? Daniel did the math. He read Jeremiah 25 and 28, and he did the math. And he's like, hold it here. This is 66 years into the exile. And he fell on his knees and said, God, we got four years to get our act together here. And God heard his prayer. He fasted and prayed, and God heard his prayer. Isn't the scripture awesome, guys? Anyone else get fired up about this stuff?
S4: It's so good. So many examples of what it looks like to walk closely with God, and how good it is to walk closely with God.
S2: Yeah, and how this translates to today. Look, we don't know when the end is coming. So it's it's different in that sense. So he could do the math and go 70 years. Let's see. So at this time, by the way, how old would he have been? Ooh. 80 ish. Yeah, in his 80s. So Daniel would have been about 80. Get the exact math here. Yeah, he'd have been in his 80s. So Daniel was in his 80s. He's looking at the math. He's reading Jeremiah 25, and he goes, we got four years left. We got four years left. Okay. So here we go. God, we've been far from you. Bring us back. And I think the cool thing in this new covenant, this day that we're living in, I have a personal conviction that we're in. We're nearing the seventh day. Meaning 2000 years, 2000 years, 2000 years of the New Covenant. And I think we're here. I think we're close. We don't know for sure what the day or the hour is. We do not know. But we do know what's coming. And there will be a day when God will call his children home, either by natural death or by the rapture of the church. And one thing we can pray with confidence and be rewarded. God. Bring revival to your church today. I'm getting choked up thinking about it. Bring revival to your church today. God. Because we can look in your book and we can see that the time is drawing close. And would you move in power? So as you go skip a meal today or just just know this, maybe you're in the middle of a long, fast, total fast from food for a period of time. Maybe you've never fasted before. You can go before the Lord skipping a meal today and know with confidence God rewards those who seek him with a whole heart. It's a beautiful promise. It's a beautiful, beautiful thing. Oh my goodness. Don't stop getting fired up about the Word of God. I'm up early this morning just powering through this, looking at the historical context of Daniel and reading Jeremiah. And I'm like, oh man, I remember that from seminary. But boy, it's alive today like never before. So sweet. Seek the Lord with the whole heart. He sees you there and he will reward you.
S1: He was sharing the gospel on the radio and then he got saved. Young thunders in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Okay. What was your dream, guys, when you were a kid? If I could just do this one thing, I will have made it. You know, you get these images in your brain. If I could just achieve this. So mine was clearly 16 years old. And by the way, I was thinking about this the other day when I was 16, the Iditarod Trail Race was four years old.
S3: That's that's crazy to think.
S9: I know.
S2: Because now it's over 50 years that it's been right.
S9: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
S2: Just over 50 years it's been going. But I was dreaming, man. I'm like, if I can get my dog team from Anchorage to Nome. And at that time I had three dogs, four dogs. None of them were fit for the Iditarod. So I had some work to do. But I spent the next two years busting my keister to get a team together that could get me 1100 miles from Anchorage to Nome, and they did 21 days, eight hours, 12 minutes, 32 seconds. But it was a sobering thing to walk down Front Street in Nome at 3 a.m., sleep deprived, not old enough to go into a bar, not even interested. My life hadn't gone there yet, and to have that beautiful sense of elation, I made it to Nome and then this horrible sense of boy, that wasn't all I thought it would be. Can you imagine 18 year old Carl feeling like I made it? But I didn't make it. It didn't work.
S4: Makes sense. When we kind of make these things in our life, the the thing that's kind of holding up all of our happiness. And then we accomplish it. We realize it doesn't have the ability to do that.
S2: All right, let's go around the horn. What was it? Let's go guys. What were you thinking of when you were a kid?
S4: For me, I wanted to be an actor. And I was like, I'm going to be. I wanted to be a child actor.
S2: I don't think I ever heard that.
S4: No, I don't think I've shared it all that much. But, yeah, I wanted to be an actor. I was like, that would be so much fun. I was like, I'm gonna be famous. I'm gonna be rich. And I was like, I'm gonna. I'm gonna be on TV. This is perfect. And then, no, I mean, it didn't work out at all that way.
S5: I really, really wanted to be a high level athlete. I was a played volleyball, and I was I was a good high school player, and I really wanted to play at a big school, didn't end up getting an opportunity to play at a big school, played at a small school, and after two years of playing college volleyball, hung it up in kind of like a sense of this isn't going anywhere. I'm not good enough. Battling injuries.
S2: Ouch! I hurt for.
S5: You. It was. I mean, it was painful. It was a painful thing. Because that was the thing that I thought was making. It was being being a good college athlete, and it just didn't work out that way. And it was it was it hurt? It's I mean, it's one of those things that if I talk too much about it, I might start feeling it again. Oh, yeah. Like, oh, man, here I was 510. You know, I was like, at the time, that was tall. Now that's not that tall. See, these girls are six five but 510. I had the height. You know, I had a little bit of athleticism, but I just wasn't good enough. I was not good enough.
S2: Super die. Get us out of that one. What's yours?
S5: Sorry you asked.
S2: Oh, it's my heart. My heart hurts for you because we've. But we've all been there. What was yours?
S5: Super day.
S3: Um, just a very famous choreographer. I mean, I wanted to be on Broadway. High demand, win Tonys, all that good stuff. Yeah. Yeah. Very famous choreographer.
S2: Well, you're a great chorus. You choreographed something for us that we did around here?
S5: Yeah. We did.
S2: We all.
S5: Choreographed.
S2: We got to get a Tony for her. Yeah.
S5: It was. It was really good. She even got Karl and Jonathan able to dance.
S4: That's true.
S12: Hey, hey, hey. What do you mean? Goddess to dance? That's a good.
S5: Choreographer.
S12: Thank you.
S2: You know what? Here's what's funny. Coming up in a moment. It's. It's like we have these things in our childhood, and you'd think, well, that'll teach us, but then not as grandiose, but we still have subconscious or conscious aspirations for where we're going to go, what's going to happen and how. And even when we're born again, how God's going to use us. But what if what if we got a great dude coming up? What I love about him is he's got a great sense of humor, but he's also got a vulnerable streak that is willing to pour it out there.
S1: Your shot of hope to help you through the day. This is Karl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: So there's a lot of aspirations that we have in life. The question is, what do you do when you get to that point when you thought, yeah, should be right and I'm not there? We've all had that feeling. Ali.
S5: Everybody, this is not what I thought my life would look like. Or this is exactly what I thought my life would look like. I've gotten everything I thought I wanted, and boy, do I still feel empty.
S2: It's a double edged deal. You know, it's interesting. So I just look at his bio here. Former managing editor of Leadership Journal. His work has been featured in USA today, HuffPo, Christianity Today, CNN. He's the acquisitions editor for Moody Publishers, now contributing editor for Christianity Today for pastors. He's the author of phenomenal books. I'm looking at all this. You must be fully fulfilled, drew. Everything's just fully cooking for you. And and you've hit. You've climbed every mountain. You've. I mean, what's it like to have arrived at all your dreams, buddy?
S13: Oh, thank you, thank you. I needed that question. That introduction makes me think I really should be more happy. Um. But. Yeah. Isn't that funny? Yeah. How often you reach that midpoint, you jump into your 40s and you realize you actually haven't done as much as you thought you would have done. And the funny thing is, or maybe the sad thing is, those of us who are more ministry minded are not exempt from this phenomenon because often we start out thinking, man, I'm going to do something really big for God. You know, I had that that sense in my 20s where I'm like, almost like, God's lucky to have me on his team because I'm going to do these awesome things. And I remember being in seminary and talking to my wife, and I'm like, you know what? I don't want the American dream. You know, someone else can can have the 2.5 children's children in the house in the suburb. We're going to do something radical. Maybe we're going to go overseas and be missionaries or start a nonprofit, but we're going to do something different. And she was right there with me. Well, it's a little embarrassing thinking about that now, because guess what? We live in the suburbs. We don't have 2.5 children. We have three. I drive a minivan.
S2: Yeah.
S12: You drive a minivan?
S2: Oh, no.
S13: Which is awesome, actually. I'm a big minivan fan. But then the question becomes, man, God, my life turned out great. I'm not complaining, but it's a little different than I thought it would. And then you realize, hey, you know, God's doing things in and through my life. I need to be grateful. Um, and sometimes it's actually, uh, a midlife crisis. And yet I'm grateful for it because it makes you focus on the things that actually matter rather than fulfilling some great dream for your own life.
S5: Drew Dick is our guest right now. So are you speaking about this in general terms, or is this from personal experience? Did you did you hit a point where We're. That's how you felt like I'm having a midlife crisis. Is that the words you would have put to it?
S13: Yeah, it's a little embarrassing, but after a while, this was kind of in my early 40s. It started to dawn on me, this just kind of sense of unease and dissatisfaction with where I've landed. Um, and and then I realized, yeah, this could be a midlife crisis. It's a little embarrassing to admit that it hit me, but I think it really did. And actually, it was my wife, Grace, who helped me, because I remember around that time she said, drew, can you list for me the people you most admire? And as I started listing people, I realized none of them were famous or big deals or had done these amazing historic things for God. You know, one was a small church pastor who who kept leading his church despite being diagnosed with a debilitating illness. And another one was this woman who fed the homeless kept doing that even after losing her spouse. And I realized, like, why do I admire these people? Because they were faithful. They kept showing up and serving God and loving people, even even when life kicked him in the teeth. And so then I thought, you know what? I need to adjust my expectations. I need to make faithfulness the, the, the goal that I'm aiming for, rather than some grandiose idea of the big impact I'm going to have for God.
S2: I appreciate you being vulnerable here. Drew Dick again as our guest right now. He actually was my acquisition editor for a book that I just wrote.
S13: And my biggest accomplishment right there, Carl.
S2: Working with me. Um, well, that's that's really cool. And, you know, I want us to go even a little bit deeper because there's a dark night of the soul when you sit there and you haven't resolved God is good all the time, and it's okay, but there's a woof. What is my life counting for here? What did that or what does it or what has it felt like, drew. I mean, let's just go there because there's a lot of people listening right now that go shoot, my life isn't what I'd planned here.
S13: Yeah, I think it's common. I think that's the first comfort, right? Is that you're probably not the only one going through something like that. Uh, you're not alone. I'm certainly there with you. Um, and I feel I talked to a lot of people, and they feel like God put me on the shelf. You know, they think what happened? They saw their life going one way. Uh, they they wake up somewhere around midlife and go. This isn't what I planned. Maybe they had challenges they didn't foresee, um, setbacks, you name it. Sometimes they're your own fault, and then you can really drop into a place of of shame and guilt. Um, but I think there are spiritual benefits to that, because, first of all, you're being faced with your mortality, right? That's part of a midlife crisis. You realize, wow, the the sands in the hourglass are halfway gone. And what have I done? But I think there can be a good side to that, because you realize that you're finite, that you can't do it all right, and that God doesn't expect you to. That's that's a good thing to face because God's infinite. We're not. And so we have to trust him to do with our life what he will do.
S5: We've got drew Dick Moore coming up. Let's talk about this. You've written a book about this. Sometimes the best thing you can do is not the big thing, not the grand gesture, not the big sacrifice for God. It's to just show up. Just show up. We'll talk about it coming up.
S1: You can take him out of Alaska, but you can't take Alaska out of him. Carl is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S5: Well, according to Psychology Today, a midlife crisis is a period of emotional turmoil and uncertainty typically occurring in middle age, 40 to 60 years old, where individuals question their life choices and purpose, often leading to a strong desire for change. Are Christians immune to this? We have the hope of Jesus Christ. Why? Still around 40 ish. Maybe 50. Maybe into your 60s, maybe beyond. Do you feel that sense of? Does my life count for anything? Drew Dick, our guest right now. This describes well where I think a lot of people land. You hit that stage where you're not a young buck anymore. Far from it. You're one of the older guys or the older gals, and you start to take stock of your life and feel like, does this mean anything? Does that describe it? Well? Do you like that description from Psychology Today? Drew.
S13: Dick I think that works. Yeah. And it's a little disorienting, especially I feel like that that move from like, you know, 25 to 40 say it's only 15 years, but you go from virtually being a kid in our culture to all of a sudden, wow, I'm middle age. Then you start taking stock of your life and going, what happened? Some of these goals didn't pan out. Uh, maybe my life went in a different direction, and it can be a little disorienting.
S2: Yeah. You know, you've written on this, drew, and this has to be the outflow of it, right? I mean, just show up. You wouldn't have written that in your 20s or 30s, bro.
S13: That's right. That that was a gift of a bit of a midlife crisis. Absolutely. Coming to that place and going, wow, okay. I thought I was going to have a different sort of life. I thought it was going to be a little more radical. Uh, and when your life looks a little more ordinary, and again, I am very grateful for the many blessings God has given me with a job and a house and a family. Uh, but then the question becomes, okay, how do I live this life that is a little more ordinary than I thought it would be. And man, for me, it's just, you know what, God, I'm going to show up to the next small step that you've placed in front of me. I'm going to take that. I'm going to maybe, you know, stop looking, taking stock of my entire life and and zoom in on every day and just go, how can I be faithful? How can I obey God in this day to the work that he's called me to do and to the people that he's placed in my life?
S12: Yeah, I think.
S2: Ordinary gets a bad rap because the ordinary. I think about Dave Churchill, guys, I've shared about him here before. You guys probably know Dave Churchill almost as well as I do. And you never met him. But Dave Churchill was a guy who was a former state trooper who was up 300 miles north of the Arctic Circle doing security for British Petroleum. And we had this huge company wide party alcohol flowing freely and everything. And he's on top of it all. He's planting a church with my mom and dad in Wasilla, Alaska, and I see him and he catches eyes with me and he's walking my way. And I tell some guys with me, hold my beer. I think I may be invented that term. So I said, hold my beer. And he just came alongside me and said, listen man, life is tough. Enjoy the party. But if you ever need anyone to talk to, I'm your man. Thank the Holy Spirit. Use that guy. Now, Dave doesn't even know. Well he did. I was able to let him know before he went on to his reward. That's pretty ordinary. But I remember Dave Churchill because God used that to call me out of darkness and into light. One of the primary figures in my life. I thought God loved me that much. ordinary gets a bad rap, doesn't it? Drew.
S13: Oh, isn't that true? I think most of us, when we think back, you think of your life, your childhood, whatever formative years and who had an impact on you. Usually it wasn't some big famous person. Uh, it was someone ordinary who who took the time to come alongside you to be there. Maybe in a tough time when you were really hurting too. And you can do that for other people, that is. I think it gets ordinary, gets a terrible rap because God, usually, yeah, they're the miracles. They're the high points, uh, where God comes in dramatically or someone comes in dramatically and does something, but it's through the ordinary that I think God does his best work. And that's a comfort when you're going through a midlife crisis and you're wondering if your life really matters, because you can look at the people that God's placed in your vicinity and ask yourself, how can I show up for them? How can I have that kind of steady, faithful impact in their life that they need? And that's exciting.
S5: Just a minute or two left here, drew, but go over some of the just a high overview. What are some of those? Simple, practical, just show up sort of steps that people can take today of just kind of plodding forward?
S13: Yeah, I think one thing to do is just take a bit of an inventory of your life and kind of go, how am I spending my time? You know, I've talked to a lot of people who maybe they're they're trying to have a large influence or impact in the world, and there's nothing wrong with that. But sometimes we can get so focused on that that we miss the people and opportunities that God's placed right under our nose. You know, people in our families that are hurting, that need help, people in our churches, in our neighborhoods. And like we've been talking about, your ordinary influence and presence in their life can be huge. And then, of course, just praying to God and going, God, what? What is it in this season of life that you want me to do? What is it? And then, you know, as you take some time to kind of really stay in that place asking God what he wants you to do, things are going to start to pop into your head and then to have the courage to go, God, I'm going to obey that. I hear what you're wanting me to do. I'm going to take that first step of faith. And it might not be a huge thing. It might just be kind of walking over and talking to my neighbor. It might be, you know, calling up a nephew or niece that I have. Whatever it is, obeying God and being in that person's life to make an impact on them.
S2: It's beautiful. I think one of the greatest evidences here, Ali and team that we get with drew is that we asked him for a resource and he linked to another author on a midlife crisis, a blog that's impacted him mightily. And we want you to get this link to get to this beautiful article, and also a link to drew Dick to grab his books and whatever God may lead you to. Take it away, Ali.
S5: Yeah, just text the word mid to 805 55, 7898. Mid mid to 855 five 7898. We'll get you linked up to Drew Dick's website as well as this resource. Mid 800 555 7898.