S1: Today's version of faith and finance live is actually not live. So don't call in.
S2: Proverbs 2723 says, know well the condition of your flocks and give attention to your herds. Hi, I'm Rob West. We may not be in an agrarian society, but that proverb still applies today. Faithful stewardship requires attention. If we don't know what we have and where it's going, we can't manage it with biblical wisdom. Today, we'll look at the best practices of budgeting and why. It's about far more than numbers. And we have some great calls lined up, but we won't be taking your calls today because we're pre-recorded. This is faith and finance. Live biblical wisdom for your financial journey. A budget is simply a plan for managing what God has entrusted to you. It's not meant to be a burden or a source of shame. It's a tool for faithfulness. As stewards, we recognize that everything belongs to the Lord. That means our income, our savings, our spending and our giving all fall under his care and purposes. So budgeting begins with a spiritual question before it becomes a financial one. Lord, how would you have me manage what you've provided? That question changes the purpose of a budget. We're not just trying to make the numbers work. We're asking whether our financial decisions reflect what we truly value. A budget helps reveal patterns. It shows whether our money is drifting toward impulse, comfort and accumulation, or whether it's being directed toward generosity, provision, responsibility, and contentment. So what are some best practices? Well, first, start with giving. Scripture never treats generosity as an afterthought. In second Corinthians nine seven, Paul writes, each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. A budget allows us to be intentional rather than reactive. Instead of giving only if something is left over, we prayerfully decide in advance how we want to participate in God's work. Second, know your true income. For someone with a fixed paycheck that may be fairly simple. You can build your monthly plan around predictable take home pay. But for those with variable income, business owners, commission workers, freelancers, seasonal workers, or hourly employees, the process takes a little more care. If your income changes month to month, build your budget around a conservative baseline. Look back over the last 6 to 12 months and identify your lower income months. Then build your core expenses around that number. Not your best month, but a realistic minimum. When higher income months come, intentionally allocate the extra dollars, build savings, pay down debt, catch up on future expenses, or increase generosity. Third, give every dollar a job. That doesn't mean every dollar is spent. Saving is a job. Giving is a job. Paying bills is a job. Preparing for future car repairs, insurance premiums, school expenses, medical needs, or. Christmas is a job. The goal is not restriction. The goal is direction. Fourth, plan for irregular expenses. Many budgets fail because they only include monthly bills, but life includes non-monthly expenses, car maintenance, home repairs, gifts, travel, school costs, medical needs, and annual renewals. These are not emergencies if we know they're coming. A wise budget sets aside small amounts over time so that predictable expenses don't become financial surprises. Fifth build margin. Margin is the space between income and outgo. Without it, even a small disruption can create stress. With it, we're better positioned to respond with wisdom when needs arise. Margin can also create room for generosity. Ephesians 428 says, we are to work honestly so that we may have something to share with anyone in need. Budgeting helps us live with that kind of readiness. Six. Review and adjust. A budget is not a one time document. It's a regular conversation with the Lord, with your spouse. If you're married and with reality. Some months need adjustment. Some categories may be unrealistic. The goal isn't perfection. The goal is faithfulness. And that's where budgeting becomes part of our spiritual formation. It teaches us to see continually how God has provided. It trains us to say no for the sake of a greater yes. It helps us practice contentment in a culture of constant comparison. It gives us a framework for generosity before money gets absorbed by lesser things. So if you're ready to take that next step, we'd love to help. The Faith Fi app is the leading Christian budgeting app that integrates your faith with practical financial management, helping you steward God's money God's way. It's more than a budgeting tool. It's a biblical stewardship ecosystem that addresses not only the numbers, but also the heart behind them. Join 80,000 believers pursuing faithful stewardship and start your 30 day free trial today at faith fi.com/app. That's faith fi.com/app. Much more to come just around the corner. Stay with us. So glad to have you with us today on Faith and Finance live. Our team is away today, so don't call in. But we lined up some great questions in advance and we'll be going to those here in just a moment. Let me also remind you that the advice that I give each day on this program is general in nature. We offer principles and ideas that apply at a high level. They are not personalized, so that's why you should always seek professional financial advice. And if you'd like to find a professional who shares your values, we of course, here at Faith and Finance Live recommend the Certified Kingdom Advisor designation. These are men and women who've met high standards, and they've been trained to bring a biblical worldview of financial decision making. You can find 1@faith.com. Now let's head to the phone calls we have lined up. Let's go to Alabama. Brad, how can I help you?
S3: Yes, Rob, thank you for all your information. You seem to be on top of all the issues my wife and I were discussing. We're in our 70s and we had pensions set up, so we're basically able to live off of our pensions. So we've tried to keep this invested for the future, for God's work. And I was reading about Solomon, how to we've got about 80% of our portfolio in stocks and only 20% in bonds. I really don't like gold and silver. So how do you feel about putting 5% of our portfolio in classic cars?
S2: Yeah, that's a great question. Uh, you know, if you're asking whether classic cars should replace precious metals as a meaningful part of your investment portfolio, I'd be cautious. Classic cars can be fun, but I would view them as a passion investment, not a core retirement investment. Uh, you know, there are, of course, illiquid. Takes time to find a buyer. You've got to insure them and store them and maintain them. And you've got upkeep. And the values can be unpredictable. Uh, it's really collector demand. And there's no, of course, income stream like dividends or bond interest or rental income. But, you know, if you're a car enthusiast and you know, you have the ability to do that and you want to take 5% of your investable assets to do something you enjoy because you, love classic cars and you can afford to do that just given the state of your overall finances, then I would say go right ahead and enjoy that. But I wouldn't view that as a substitute for a well-diversified investment portfolio personally.
S3: What else would you recommend then if, uh, besides maybe another 5% of something else?
S2: Mhm. Yeah. Um, you know, if you don't like gold and silver, I think, you know, just the, the stocks and bonds would be probably the way to go. Uh, I mean, maybe you dial up your bond allocation a little bit to reduce portfolio volatility, you know, rather than chasing returns. Um, you know, it, uh, the other options would be cash and short term treasuries, real estate, although in your 70s, I wouldn't encourage you, you know, to take on the responsibilities of becoming a landlord unless it's something you really enjoy. Um, but I think a broadly diversified stock and bond portfolio, with exposure to the US and the international markets on the stock side. And, you know, short and medium term high quality bonds and treasuries is probably the way to go. Um, and if you don't want the precious metals, that's perfectly reasonable, but I wouldn't feel compelled to replace that with another quote alternative investment personally.
S3: Okay. Well thank you.
S2: Absolutely. Let me mention one other thing though, Brad. And that is you mentioned your passion to support God's kingdom. And, you know, I might think and I don't know what you're spending on a monthly basis. I don't know what your portfolio size is and I don't need to, but the only thing I would just throw out is, you know, I hear from a lot of people saying, Rob, I'm going to die with one, two, three, $5 million in my trust someday. And, you know, then I'll give it to God's work. Well, what about defining enough, whatever that might be, that's reasonable and allows for the uncertainties that might come down the road and accelerating some of that giving right now, you might have a blast doing that and get it into God's economy sooner, which never is a bad thing because there's real needs in the world. So that might be the only thing I'd leave you with is just think about, is there any portion of what God has entrusted to you on your balance sheet that you could go ahead and put into, uh, to work for the kingdom now, rather than waiting and doing all of your giving at death? Something to think about that may not apply here. Again, I don't know your details, but just something I want to throw out. Brad, thanks for your call. Lord bless you, my friend. Thanks for being a faithful listener. If I can help in any way in the future, give us a call, uh, to Ohio. Hi, John. How can I help?
S4: Yeah. Hi. I was asking a question about my thrift savings plan and rolling it over to IRA.
S2: Okay.
S4: Would it benefit me to do that? Now I'm getting ready to retire, uh, within the next five years. I'm eligible now. But, you know, life no retiring right now. But, um, so I was told that I could roll it over. It would stay fixed at that amount and could only go up in that my. I can still keep my thrift savings open and still contribute to that. Would that be a wise move?
S2: I like the idea of rolling the TSP out to an IRA, but I'd love to know more about it. Can't. It can only go up. What are you rolling it into like an insurance product?
S4: You know that. I'm not sure. I just was speaking with a guy last night and he was talking to me about it. I'm not sure that's what I was curious why I was calling you because I'm not quite fully understanding what he's talking about to how would that be guaranteed that it wouldn't go down?
S2: Yeah, it's probably an IRA annuity, which is a tax deferred annuity, which would not be my first choice. How much have you accumulated in that TSP, John?
S4: It's close to 300, I believe.
S2: Yeah. Okay. And, uh, how far off is retirement? I realize you said you're eligible to retire, but you need to continue, you know, to work for a season. How far off do you anticipate retiring, at least at this point.
S4: No more than five years.
S2: Okay. Got it. And what will you have in addition to this 300,000 and what it grows to over the next five years for retirement? Will you be eligible for Social Security?
S4: Yes, I'm 60. I'm 60 right now.
S2: Okay. And so do you have a sense of what that will be just based on your benefit statement?
S4: My my social security.
S2: Yes, sir.
S4: I think it's around 1100 or 1400 a month. Something like that.
S2: Okay. Got it. Yeah. So I mean, if let's say this grows to 350,000, I'd be comfortable with you pulling 4% a year just as a starting point. So that'd be a little more than a, you know, a thousand a month. So let's call it 1100 a month. If you add that to 1400 a month, we're talking about 2500 a month. I think the question would be, you know, is that enough? Do you have any other income sources in retirement, or would you be trying to make it just on Social Security plus your TSP?
S4: I'll have my retirement from the postal service also.
S2: Okay, great. Yeah. So could it be that between the Postal Service, retirement and Social Security, the goal might be that you don't even touch the 350,000, if that's what it grows to?
S4: That's my hopes.
S2: Yeah. Okay, good. Well, I think that puts you in a great position, because if you can limit your lifestyle live on your post-retirement plus Social Security, you know, that would be ideal. And then I'd be looking to roll that TSP over to an IRA and have an advisor manage it for you, rather than putting it in an insurance company. There is something nice by transferring the risk away from the markets to an insurance company in the form of an annuity type product, because there's a floor on it. To your point earlier, you can't lose money. The downside is in exchange for that floor, there's always a cost for it. And the cost is you're not going to get the full upside. And so, you know, the way we get the, the better, you know, annual average annual returns is we take the up with the down and we manage that risk through diversification and, and asset allocation. So, you know, if you're retiring at 65, let's say, you know, we might put 40 to 45% in stocks, 55 to 60% in bonds, maybe a small portion of precious metals. We try to smooth it out, get a nice yield coming in. But the real benefit is even though you're taking on some risk, you are getting 100% of the upside and you have access to the money if you needed it for long term care or some other event. So I like rolling it to an IRA and finding a certified Kingdom advisor to manage it. Let's finish up off the air. We'll be right back.
S1: You're listening to Faith and finance Live, and you can find us 5.com. However, today we are not live. So if you hear that phone number, please don't call, but do stay with us. There's lots of good information ahead.
S2: Let's go to Illinois. Hi, Carolyn. How can I help you?
S5: Hi. The reason for my call, it's. I guess it's sort of a two part question, but I also wanted to express. When I went to the bank, I was offered a opportunity to have a HELOC. I don't need it, but they have a promotion going and there are no fees and this and that. But one of the things that I want to point out is that when I was going through the paperwork, it was because of this program that I was able to understand much better what I was reading and go back today and ask questions. I was able to ask questions about, you know, the index in terms of, you know, what you're going to pay in interest, the index, and then the margin that they add on. And then the Apr and all those things were very clear to me in terms of being able to ask intelligent questions and understand what they were saying. So I just wanted to let you know that it was because I listened to this program that I was able to comprehend that.
S6: And I'm so glad to hear that. That's great. Well, I'm delighted.
S2: We could have been a resource for you. It's always helpful when you go in somewhere and you have a little bit of a knowledge base to build on and ask the right questions so that that thrills me to no end. Carolyn. Well, specifically related to that HELOC, what are you thinking about?
S5: Okay, well, I don't need the thing. And they were they were offering it. And if you have anything that you want to say about them, that's fine. The nature of my question was that I noticed with this HELOC, and I've noticed in the past, like for instance, if you're buying a car, when they do a hard check on your credit, what they come back with seems to be significantly different than what the consumer products offer. So, for example, I never fall below 800 when I'm checking online. But for example, today Equifax showed 780 when the information that I got in the mail from the bank. Now, when I go online with the consumer resources and I check Equifax, it says 804. And even if you do a hard check, generally, you know, it's not going to be a 20 plus spread difference and it wouldn't bounce back that quickly. So my initial question is, is why is this such a significant difference between what the consumer has access to versus the, you know, corporate or whatever?
S2: Yeah, it's a great question. And you're exactly right. They can vary pretty significantly. And it comes down to the difference between consumers and lenders using different formulas that weight information differently. So, for example, lenders may use different versions of a Fico score that's industry specific for certain types of loans. And so that means it's a different algorithm and it places weight on different factors versus the consumer version of that. That might use a completely different formula that results in a higher score. So they should be of course in the ballpark. Um, but it's not unusual for them to be different by any means. And that's why a lender is always going to want to pull their own credit report. Even if you were to say, hey, I just pulled this the other day, here it is. They're not going to accept it because they want to run it through their own formulas because they know that they're using certain, uh, you know, formulas with certain weightings for a specific type of loan that you're seeking. So that's usually the difference there with regard to that HELOC. You know, some folks will say, well, I ought to go ahead and get it, even if I'm not going to use it. Because what if I needed it in the future and I couldn't qualify for it? And as long as I don't borrow against it, I'm not having to pay anything. And I would just challenge that a little bit. Even if there's not upfront fees, which usually there are some costs, closing costs and so forth. But even if they're saying, listen, we won't charge any of that, then often there are other expenses. There might be an inactivity charge, there may be, you know, other kind of monthly charges that they impose upon you that you know, will cost you something over time. You also have the impact to your credit because that's another loan that's outstanding. Even if you're not using it, that's a credit that's available to you, which will be factored in. So I think I would just make sure you have a purpose for it. And if you don't, I'd probably be inclined not to. There might be some that would say, as long as there's no fees and you'd want to double check that, that it's worth getting just to have access to it if you needed it down the road, I would probably opt not to. The last reason is often there's a temptation to use it because it's there even when you don't really need it. So anyway, I hope those things are helpful. Thanks for your kind remarks about the program, Carolyn. We appreciate you being on today. We're going to head to Tennessee and talk to John. Go ahead sir.
S7: Hello, Rob. I've learned a lot from you over the years. Thank you.
S2: Absolutely. Thank you.
S7: You're welcome. I'm a retired pastor. I preach a lot of funerals and have extra income. And it seems like the tax law has changed about how much to report and when do we fall into self-employment and have to pay Social Security taxes and that sort of thing? Can you help me?
S2: Yeah, I'd be happy to. And I'm delighted to hear you're asking this question, because we certainly want to get this right. You know, the tax law hasn't changed, even though there's been a lot of changes as of late, largely because of the one big, beautiful bill and other changes recently the Secure act 2.0 and others. It hasn't changed in the sense that self-employment income has become exempt. Um, you know, if you're receiving compensation for performing funerals as a retired pastor, that income is going to be generally taxable and would likely be subject to self-employment tax depending on your situation. So the key points to understand are, first of all, all income is reportable regardless of the amount unless a specific exclusion applies self-employment tax. So that's Social Security. And Medicare generally applies once your net earnings from self-employment are $400 or more for the year and your age doesn't exempt you. So regardless of your age, these rules apply. Uh. There are a few special tax rules for clergy. If you've previously filed the form 4361 and you receive that as an exemption from self-employment tax on ministerial earnings. That could change something. Um, so that would be one question that we could talk about. But other than that everything is generally reportable. And self-employment tax kicks in at $400 or more. I've got to hit this break John. But let me get your follow up questions after the break and we'll finish our conversation. Amy. Billy, coming your way as well. Stay with us.
S1: You're listening to Faith and finance live. This program is prerecorded, so we're not available to answer your calls, but you can email us your questions at ask rob@faith.com.
S2: Before the break, we were talking to John. He's 77, retired, wondering about self-employment income that needs to be reported to the IRS. He's a retired pastor, but he's preaching at some funerals, earning some extra income. Wondering if any recent tax law changes affect him. And as I had shared, although there have been a number of tax law changes, the tax law hasn't changed in the sense that self-employment income has become exempt in any way. All income generally reportable self-employment tax kicks in over $400 for the year, and you have to or legally required to file a tax return and report that income. And that would automatically trigger that $400 threshold. The requirement to pay self-employment tax, which covers Medicare and Social Security. And it applies to everyone. There is a carve out, though, for those that have, quote, opted out for ministerial reasons of Social Security. And John, you and I talked off the air and you said you have opted out. And so if that was done through the proper form and accepted by the IRS, then, you know, that would change things a bit. I would talk to your CPA about that because you would likely not owe self-employment tax, Social Security and Medicare on ministerial earnings, including those funerals, because you have you know, you're exempt and that's irrevocable. So you would still report the income for income tax purposes. But the exemption is from the self-employment tax. So any follow up thoughts on that though.
S7: Well, Rob, uh, my tax preparer mentioned a $2,000 figure, uh, and gave me the impression that other income other than Honorariums and 43, 61 income wasn't reportable until you reached $2,000. And I'm thinking there is other income at times from assisting but not preaching, uh, at a funeral home, uh, precinct voting worker, you know, there's some income there. Uh, do you see see how it seems complicated to me, and I'm not sure.
S2: I totally do.
S7: Yeah, I want to honor Christ.
S2: Of course. Yeah, absolutely. Uh, yeah. So there isn't a general rule that says, uh, that the first 2000 of self-employment income or other income isn't reportable. Um, you know, he may be referring to something else. Maybe it's a specific reporting threshold for a particular type of payment or, uh, a rule that applied to a particular credit. Um, so I might go back to him and just ask for clarification there. But, you know, I think at the end of the day, the income is reportable, the self-employment income. Uh, again, if you have the approved 43, 61 exemption, you know, that would not apply. But I'm not aware of any general rule around a $2,000 exemption. So you may just want to get some clarity on that from your CPA. John. I hope that helps. Appreciate your service to our Lord. And, uh, if I can help further along the way, don't hesitate to reach out. Let's go to Texas. Amy. How can I help?
S8: Hey, Rob, thanks so much for your ministry. We really appreciate it. Um, my husband and I have been blessed beyond measure. Um, I mean, we're not, uh, I guess from the world standard have a lot from a financial point of view, but we have more than we'll ever use. And we want to bless the Lord with that. And we, we stand to inherit from both sides of the family financially. And we want to do right by God. We are currently totally out of debt. Um, we have, throughout our marriage learned to live within our means as hard as that can be. We have two grown sons and one is married and we have two grandchildren. We tend to get paralysis in the analysis. We have been to several different classes. We know what we need to do. We just need somebody to come alongside of us and view where we are right now and what we want to do with it. In the name of Jesus. Yeah. Um, how can we get help with that? I know, you know, we've talked to different, we, we moved to Texas about ten years ago. So we're still getting, you know, somewhat the lay of the land. Um, my dad passed away in November and we have not fully received all of that inheritance. Um, and again, we want to know, you know, so often when people look at us, look at our financial numbers, you know, they want us to go straight to investing kind of thing. And we need to understand that part of it. But we also need to plan for our future and for our children and grandchildren's future.
S2: Yeah. Well, Amy, what an incredible place to be. I love this question because you start by saying, I want to just acknowledge God's faithfulness and his provision and his abundance, and we want to be good stewards. We want to be faithful in how we manage this for God's glory. And that can include giving that can including investing, which is a part of God's plan for, you know, human flourishing and for promoting the common good, even participating in God's redemptive purposes. We want to be well planned for the for the future and think about, you know, what might come down the road. And we want to surrender all of that to the Lord. And that's exactly the right posture, I think, for all of us. And you need a partner in that, somebody who understands the power of money as a tool to accomplish God's purposes, both in terms of for the future, but also to be, you know, given away and to be invested and held loosely, um, for God's purposes as well. And all nothing, you know, in, in any part of that, nothing is better than another. It's all a part of a virtuous cycle. I think of using God's money in a way that brings God glory. Um, where are you guys as you think and pray right now. Kind of. What is the thing that really trips you up? You mentioned analysis paralysis. Is it not understanding the investment markets and investment strategy? Is it how much you should keep versus how much you should give away? Is it where to give? Like, is it all of it? Like, what are the issues that typically trip you guys up for making decisions?
S8: I think it's the investment strategies. It's also like, as you, you age, um, when you take Medicare, Medicaid, should you do Social Security? When should you take that? So it's very much the investment strategies. And also when we, you know, when we, when we speak to people, you know, about it, it's kind of they're looking at the lump sums and they give good information. But um, my husband too, we're both very hands on. We love to serve. Um, so for us just to write the check, it kind of has to come with the serving alongside of it. Yeah, yeah. So in some ways that helps narrow down for us what ministries we want to give to. Yeah. Um.
S2: So it makes.
S8: Sense kind of, you know, being the hands on kind of thing.
S2: Um, yeah. Yeah. Excellent.
S8: It's a, it's a beautiful predicament. We like to.
S2: Yes, it sure.
S8: Is blessed to be a blessing. Yeah. Um, but you and I both know that as you increase in your wealth, somehow that word gets out there and people want you to give to their, their legitimate causes.
S2: Yeah. So it's also.
S8: A faith walk in, you know, okay, what direction can we go? You know, we're looking at, you know, how can we help our family at this point? We have one son married, one son, not, um, and they're around the same ages and, you know, trying to decipher, okay, what's best for either one of them at any given time.
S2: Yeah. This is so good. Well, this is perfect for a certified Kingdom advisor. And I don't know whether you've reached out to a c k in the past, but I'd love to personally connect you with somebody who can just walk alongside you, because what you need is the comprehensive financial planning, which would uncover, you know, how much you need for the future, how to invest it appropriately, how to plan for, you know, uh, long term care if you need it, inheritance, but also your giving. And an advisor who understands that in light of biblical wisdom could be just absolutely essential. I'm going to have my team get your information, and I'll personally connect you with a few people that could serve you really well. We'll be right back.
S1: This is our final segment of a faith and finance live program that we previously recorded. Thanks so much for being with us today, and we hope you'll stick around and enjoy the rest of the program.
S2: Boy, what a treat to talk to the previous caller. You know, I think, um, you know, as Amy was describing, they want to be found faithful. And one of the consistent themes in Scripture is that wisdom is not something we're meant to pursue alone. You know, from Genesis to Revelation, God repeatedly reminds us as his people that clarity and protection and faithfulness are often found through the counsel of others, especially counsel rooted in reverence for him. You know, Proverbs 1114 comes to mind where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety. And that's why we did this study of certified Kingdom advisors and their clients versus traditional advisors and their clients. And the data was just remarkable as we uncovered really the benefits of working with an advisor who's been trained to bring biblical wisdom and to walk alongside you and help you express your values through your investments, through your giving, through your financial management. Here's some of the data that came out of it. 64% of general clients that the top reason they selected their advisor was investment returns. That was the top reason at 64%. The top reason for the clients was that they wanted shared beliefs and values. So clearly, right out of the gate, you know, the clients of the C, K A are choosing the C, k a because they want those shared values. They understand the biblical emphasis on aligned counsel isn't just theoretical. You know, we see that shared values profoundly shape trust and clarity and long term faithfulness in relationships. And that's why. And here's the second data point I'll highlight is that as we looked at the retention rate of the CKAS, the c k clients reported a 98% retention rate. That was extraordinary trust and stability in the relationship over the three years prior to the survey. Whereas the general advisers were at 75%. So still good, but not anywhere close to a 98% retention rate. They also had, if you're familiar with the term Net Promoter score, which is essentially it's a very common customer service metric that's used across all businesses. It's called Net Promoter Score. And it's essentially answering the question, how likely are you to refer this product or service? And the clients had an almost unheard of Net promoter score of 83 versus 58. For general advisors, anything over 75 is considered world class. And they were at 83, which is just amazing. 81% of Kaia's reported helping clients incorporate faith based or values based investing, which was amazing. We love to see that. And then on the generosity front, that was incredible as well. We were seeing that K clients were twice as likely to say my my giving has, quote, significantly increased since working with my certified Kingdom advisor. So, you know, there's a ton of data, as you might imagine from a comprehensive study like this, but we were just really encouraged by the data coming out, just affirming this idea that when you work with somebody that has shared values at the heart of your relationship, it's a game changer. If you want to find a certified Kingdom advisor in your city, we've just crossed 2000 KAS in the US and Canada. Pretty big milestone for us here at Kingdom Advisors. Just go to find ack.com. All right. Let's go to Oklahoma. Billy go ahead. How can I help you?
S9: My question is, um, I am just selling a house. Um, and I've been wanting to open a coin shop. I'm in the numismatics, um, gold and silver and some of the other precious metals. Um, but what's going on is, um, my house is in closing. Um, it's supposed to probably be, I would say within the next couple of weeks. Um, I'm working with the, she's a real estate agent, but she's buying the house herself, so there's no commission on her part. Um, what do I need to do to, you know, put that money toward this business on opening, I got a little bit of a business plan. Um, I've done some research in marketing and everything. Now, this area I'm at in Oklahoma is the next, um, biggest town over is Fort Smith, Arkansas, which is approximately 30 miles away. So I've researched the geographical area, you know, um, population here is about 10,000. Um Fort Smith is around 100,000. So what would be your take on that.
S2: Yeah. A couple of questions for you. First of all, congratulations, uh, on this idea. You know, owning a business can be a wonderful opportunity. Um, but you want to go into it with your eyes wide open. So I'm glad you're asking a lot of questions. I'm glad you have put a business plan together. That's key. Uh, first would be, is this going to replace your full time income, Billy, or will you continue working while you build the business?
S9: No, no, I'll continue working full time. Um, at my job right now, um, I work it's, uh, it's a transportation in, um, I've been there for about eight years, so I got a pretty good retirement. Retirement? It's a 403 B um, they match it up to 10%, which is really good. Um, so yeah, I'll be here. Um, at least, uh, you know, working that part time also.
S2: Great. Yeah, I love that. That's, that's really good. And how much do you expect the shop to need before it becomes cash flow positive? I mean, what is your business plan say?
S9: Well, right now, um, the ratio is probably I'm going to have to put, um, I would say 100 to 120,000 in it. Um, because I'm going to, you know, from the ground up, it's going to be brick and mortar store. And that brings another point. You know, where I've talked to some people about the negative side, you know, they said there, um, there's a lot more businesses and stuff leaning toward the internet, you know, um, buying coins, selling coins and stuff like on eBay, Amazon, um, whatnot. So, um, that's kind of what I'm looking at right now. So if I sell this house for what I'm selling it, I'm going to probably need a little bit of a, I would say a business loan. I wouldn't think a whole lot. I would assume maybe 30, 35,000.
S2: Yeah. Got it. Okay. That's really helpful. Um, and I'm, that's encouraging about the opportunity because you're reducing a lot of the startup risk here, uh, because you're keeping your full time job. So you're not relying on the coin shop to feed your family on day one. Uh, and that's a huge advantage. And so I think the key is to keep contributing to that 403 B Be especially with that 10% match. Don't give up that free retirement money to fund the business. Um, be careful with the business loan. I would say only borrow truly what you need. Debt can help a business grow, but it can create pressure if sales take longer than expected. I would say don't ignore the internet. You know, these people that are discouraging. You do have a point that many coins are bought and sold online today. And so rather than viewing that as competition, I'd make it a part of your business model. If you're not already, you could use the storefront to build relationships and trust, but expand your business online. I would say also, you know, with any business, but certainly with a coin shop, it's important to differentiate yourself because a successful coin shop wins on expertise and trust and appraisals and estate collections and, you know, maybe Boolean if you're going to go there, but certainly relationships, not just selling coins from a display case. Um, and then I would say, you know, it's important to preserve some liquidity as well. Don't put every dollar from the home sale into inventory. You know that cash gives you flexibility when, uh, when opportunities arise. So, you know, I would always start with the question, what's going to make me different? You know, when, what's going to make someone drive past another coin shop or buy from you instead of eBay? What is your unique value proposition? Your answer, you know, to that question is really a key question that every small business owner has to make. Does that make does that make sense?
S9: It sure does. Yes. You're on point.
S2: Yeah. So, uh, you know, I'd encourage you with Proverbs 215, the plans of the diligent lead surely to abundance. But everyone who is hasty comes only to poverty. And so I think the big idea here is thoughtful planning and adequate capital. And keeping your stable income while that business grows is going to give you a much better chance of long term success. Um, and obviously you're in a small town, but whoever you can learn from, whether that's in person or, you know, a virtual mentor of somebody who's been down this road before, you just, you know, do your due diligence. And, um, but, but I, I don't disagree with the direction you're headed here. And, um, I would just say, make sure you keep, keep some working capital and don't, don't get to, uh, to lean on that, uh, liquidity, if that makes sense.
S9: Yes, sir. It sure does. Thank you for all your input.
S2: Absolutely. God bless you, Billy. Congrats on becoming a numismatist. Yeah, I was I struggle with that. Numismatic coins is a numismatist, I believe is how you say it. Hey, thanks for being on the program today. Uh, call anytime. Well, folks, we're about out of time today. What a treat to have you along with us. Here's our goal, and our heart on this program is that you would see God as your ultimate treasure. You know what the rich fool got wrong in God's Word in Luke 12 is he thought it was all his own doing and he was not rich toward God. Uh, when his life was demanded of him. That was what, uh, what was said in God's word. He was not rich toward God. What does that mean? Well, I think living rich toward God means seeing God as the riches above everything else, and then it puts everything in its proper place. I think the other issue that the rich fool had is he saw it all as his. And from his own making I think he used I and my like nine times in two verses. Look what I did with my hands. Look what I've created. No, it all comes from God. It's from his hand. The I is. I am a steward, a manager of God's resources. That's our hope and prayer for you is that you would see yourself in that role each day. It's a high calling. It's a big deal, and money is something we should enjoy. It shouldn't be a source of frustration. If we handle it properly and we live within our means and we avoid debt, and we give generously and we set long term goals and we have some liquidity or some margin, we understand God owns it all. Wow, what a gift to be able to use money to serve and love others. To bring about God's redemptive purposes, to grow and create businesses and employ people that get paid and then give to the local church and fund missions around the world. It's a virtuous cycle of God's providence and provision and ultimately of wealth creation, but it all comes from him. Well, folks, it's been a joy to be along with you today. Thanks for inviting us into your story. What a joy it is to encourage you with God's Word as you seek to be that wise and faithful steward. Our goal that you'd see God as your ultimate treasure. Let me say thanks to my team today. I couldn't do it without him. Amy. Dan. To hear a Taylor and Omar faith in Finance Live is a partnership between Moody Radio and Faith VI. Have a wonderful day and come back and join us next time for another edition of Faith and Finance Live.