S1: 700 years before the birth of the Messiah, Jesus, a Jewish prophet, foretold where he would be born. Stay with me. We'll talk about the significance of that prophecy in just a moment. Hello, friends. Welcome to Open Line. My name is Michael Riedel. I'm the academic dean and a professor of Jewish studies and Bible at Moody Bible Institute. It's time for our Bible study across America. I'm so grateful that you're here. Joining me around the radio kitchen table. And we're talking about your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. If you have a question and you'd like to call the phone number here is Seven five. Let me say it again a little slower. (877) 548-3675. You can write it down and call us anytime, but it's always good to call at the beginning of the program. If you think, how am I going to get through? Start now. Uh, this is the time to call because this is when the lines are open. Uh, otherwise it gets a little crowded for people. So call (877) 548-3675 with your question about the Bible, God or the spiritual life. Tricia McMillan is in the producer's chair. Ably assisted by Tara Ulmer. Mendoza's our tech guy today. And Gabby T is back answering the phones. Uh, well, go get yourself a cup of coffee. Open your Bible, because we're about to study the scriptures together. Where do you come from? I can't say how many times I've been asked that question. I always give the same answer. The Holy Land, Brooklyn, New York. I understand how knowing a person's hometown can give some insight and understanding of that person. Brooklyn has certainly shaped me in many ways. Nevertheless, where I come from didn't identify me as anyone special. I think most of America has their have their roots in Brooklyn. It wasn't a fulfillment of Bible prophecy that I was born in Bethlehem. Not so with the birthplace of the Messiah, Jesus. His birth in Bethlehem was a fulfillment of prophecy and identified him as the promised Messiah. The Hebrew prophet Micah foretold where the Messiah would be born. And it wasn't just Bethlehem. There was much more to it. The prophecy of Micah five two reveals three truths about the Messiah's true origins. Here's what it says. Bethlehem, Ephrathah you are small among the clans of Judah. One will come from you to be ruler over Israel for me. His origin is from antiquity, from eternity. Well, to begin, this prophecy reveals that the Messiah would come from Bethlehem. It's very specific. Not that other Bethlehem that was in Galilee, but Bethlehem, Ephrata in Judah, David's hometown. Some have objected that Jesus didn't really fulfill Bible prophecy, but rather he just set it up. He knew the prophecies and then intentionally did those things predicted by the prophets to make it look like he was the Messiah. This prophecy shows that this can't be true. A person can't choose where he or she will be born. I had no say in Brooklyn as my birthplace, any more than my sister could choose. Berlin. But that's where the Lord determined it for both of us. Jesus birth in Bethlehem was not manufactured by him or even his parents. God in his sovereignty sent forth His son. Just when a Roman census required Joseph and Mary to travel to their ancient hometown, and just then, in the specific place predicted, the Lord Jesus was born not through his own manipulations, but as part of God's plan. The prophecy also reveals that Messiah was to come from the line of David. It says he was to be ruler over all Israel for me, the only rightful ruler over Israel. According to two Samuel 712 through 16, what's called the Davidic Covenant had to be from the line of David. The Lord Jesus was born to a poor Galilean young Jewish woman, but both she and her husband, they were both from the line of David. Although born in obscurity, The Lord Jesus was born in the royal house to be the King of Israel. The most amazing aspect of this prophecy is that it reveals that the Messiah was to be was to come actually from eternity past. It says his origin is from antiquity, from eternity. The literal translation would be this. This is the Michael translation. His goings forth are from the ancient past, from the days of forever. The Hebrew word for goings forth means appearances. Meaning that the Messiah actually made appearances in past times. This likely refers to all those times in the Hebrew Bible that God the Son appeared as the angel of the Lord. The words about the ancient past can mean long ago or ancient times, like the beginning of creation. It's even used in the Bible for eternity past in places like Deuteronomy 3327 and Habakkuk 112. The words the days of forever, when used in the Hebrew Bible, can mean long ago or refer to eternity past. Now here's the key. When the phrase ancient times and the days of forever are used together, as in Proverbs 822 and 23, these two words always, always mean eternity past. So this prophecy is actually saying, this is the paraphrase. Although the Messiah will be born in Bethlehem, he will really come from eternity past. This indicates it's not just the birth of a special human king, but this king will be deity, the Eternal One God in the flesh. When you and I come, where you and I come from is significant because it marks and defines us. But where the Messiah Jesus comes from is far more special. It identifies him as the much longed for Messiah, the King from the line of David. God in the flesh. Well, I am so grateful that Micah five two is in the Bible. That was one of the passages that convinced me personally to believe in Jesus. And I hope that it was an encouragement to you to look at it, too. We're going to go to the phones in just a moment. But what I wanted to, uh, to mention is our current resource. This is a great time to mention it. The books of Galatians, Ephesians, Colossians, Philippians, those four books are filled with biblical truth. They're really significant. And, uh, sometimes they need a little. We all need a little help when we're reading them to unpack all the profound truths that we can find in them. And that's where the Moody Bible Commentary excerpt comes in. This is a trusted resource, and it offers clear explanations that bring the teachings of these letters to life. If you're preparing a Bible lesson or leading a home group discussion, or just want deeper understanding for your own time in the word, this excerpt from the Moody Bible Commentary will enrich your study of God's Word. And when you give a gift of any size, we'd like to say thank you by sending you a copy of the Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, and Colossians. Excerpt from the Moody Bible Commentary. Here's what you do if you want to give a gift, especially at this season, it's, uh, the last month of the year. It would really help us here at Moody at Open Line. Uh, if you were to choose to say this is the month I want to give a gift, and we want to say thanks by sending, by sending you this excerpt, call (888) 644-7122 or visit openline radio.org and click on the link there about this current resource. Be sure to ask for the excerpt from the Moody Bible Commentary. Well, we're going to talk to Carolyn in Bradenton, Florida, listening on Wqsm. Welcome to Open Line. Carolyn, how can I help you?
S2: Well, good morning Michael. I tried to get this question in last year and didn't. I waited all year to ask a whole year.
S1: You could have called the week after Christmas. It's okay, Carolyn, we can do Christmas questions after Christmas. Well that's.
S2: True. But anyhow, I'm so glad to to get to you. I do not agree with people who believe that Mary was. Mary was in her last stages of pregnancy and even in labor when she arrived in Bethlehem. One of the verses that gives people that impression, I think, is Luke two five, which describes Mary as being great with child. Now, I've been thinking about this for a year. And in Matthew, every time Mary's pregnancy is referred to, it is always that she is with child. Luke uses an entirely different Greek word to describe her pregnancy use only by him. It's it's kind of medical, I understand, and I and I just feel I would just like to see if you feel the same way I do, that the translation of that word in Luke is, is not the best. That she was great with child. Because Luke also says that while she was there at the time was fulfilled that she should be delivered. I just don't believe that Mary would have made such a trip, or that her mother would have allowed her to make such a trip in her last stages of pregnancy. So what? What stage of pregnancy do you think she was in when she arrived in Bethlehem?
S1: Well, do you think that she was there for months? Is that what you're saying before she gave birth?
S2: I do, I do think so, but certainly certainly not the last month.
S1: I kind of think that you're pushing it a little bit with that. I don't know that it means great with child like the King James Version. I think it just means with child and it means that she's pregnant. That's what that I don't see the word.
S2: That's what that Greek word means. And there are now the ASV uses great with child for Luke two five. But there are other versions the NIV.
S1: The wait, wait, wait. The New American Standard version says was with child. The Hcsb says that she was pregnant. Uh, and and uh, the Net Bible, which is a really good translation, uh, says that she was expecting a child. That's it. She was expecting. So she was pregnant for sure. Uh. And. Great. Okay. That's fine. That she's. But here's the thing in terms of timing, they arrive there. And while they were there, her days were completed for her to give birth. There's no basis for saying that. They were there for a long time. So it may have been a week. A few days, I don't know. But they arrived and then the time was complete for her to give birth. I don't know why you would say that. They were there for a long time.
S2: Well, I don't know why people would would say that she. In fact, I heard somebody on Moody Radio that she was ten months pregnant when she arrived at Bethlehem.
S1: Well, I can't speak for that. It just sounds to me like she was near term when they arrived and there was no room for them, and they had to stay. Not in the guest room, in someone's house, but rather they had to stay in the in the barn, so to speak. Uh, in the stable, which was probably attached to the back of the house. Uh, and then, uh, but it doesn't I mean, if it were the case that she was there for a while, there wouldn't have been in the stable already. They would have had, you know, if they got there and there was no room for them. They would have. They would have not stayed in this. They might have stayed in the stable for a couple of days, but then they would have found a place to stay. So it sounds to me like they arrived when she was there near term, or she would not have been in the stable. So.
S2: Oh that's interesting. I appreciate that insight.
S1: Yeah. So but that that's it. Now, the thing is, she was, uh, she was definitely pregnant and, uh, that's that's I think what we what we can see, you know, from this, that's for sure. And, and the thing is that she was there, uh, to, uh, to kind of to give birth and think about it. She was from Nazareth, and yet she gave birth to fulfill the prophecy of Bethlehem. God arranged that whole thing right then for that to happen. Hey, Carolyn, thanks for your question. Thanks for studying the Bible so carefully. We're going to come back with more questions right here on Open Line with Michael. Stay with us. There's a lot more to come. Uh, can you just see them dancing right there? Trish is dancing along with them right now. So? So everyone in the studio is is dancing just like all the peanuts characters were. It's one of my favorite TV shows. Actually, that's the very first New Testament passage I ever heard. I was a little kid when that Christmas special came, and my parents let me watch it. And it's the first time I ever heard anything from the New Testament. It was pretty exciting. Uh, now, as I look back at it, uh, anyway, I hope what I love about that show is it's such a clear message about the good news of the birth of Jesus. It's not your typical, uh, Christmas cartoon. Uh, and if you've never seen it, I can't imagine there's anyone that's never seen it. Be sure to check it out and have your kids check it out, too. Uh, grandkids, show it to them. It'll be a lot of fun. Uh, we're going to go back to the phones right now and speak with Eileen in Ravenna, Ohio. I think it's Ravenna. Ravenna. Okay. Ravenna, Ohio. Listen on Wtxf. Welcome to Open Line. How can I help you today, Eileen?
S3: Um, thanks for taking my call. So I have a question. Is it true that newborn lambs were placed in mangers and wrapped in a cloth to keep them from being blemished, like for animal sacrifice in the Old Testament?
S1: No.
S4: Okay. Thank you.
S1: There's a book that came out a couple of years ago, a very popular book that talked about that. And, uh, I think it's a big stretch. I really here's let me just say, the reason the Messiah Jesus was placed in a in a manger was because he was born where the animals were rather than in the guest room. So there was no room for them in the house. And so he, they put him in the stable. And that's where a manger was, that they had no cradle that served it. And also all babies were swaddled just like today.
S4: Uh, right. Do you have.
S1: Any do you have, do you have have you had any kids? I mean.
S3: Kids and grandkids. And yes, I swaddled all of them.
S1: Exactly. And so, uh, the I you know what? I'm all for using rabbinic backgrounds, but I'm not for reading into rabbinic backgrounds and seeing more there than ever was in there. And I think, let me just say that most 99.9% of the time. Do you know how we can understand the Bible best.
S3: By reading it?
S5: Yeah, exactly.
S1: You don't need any other kind of secret backgrounds. That's it. You got it. Eileen. Yeah. Thanks so much. Really appreciate it.
S3: Clarifying that.
S1: Yep. Great. Thank you so much. Uh. Bye bye. Uh, we're going to speak next with Doug in Ohio listening online. Welcome to Open Line. Doug. How can I help you?
S6: Oh, thank you, doctor. Nick, this is great. I I'm curious if we know anything about the wise men. After they visited Jesus, did they understand that he was their savior, too, or what became of them?
S1: Well, I think they understood something about who the Messiah would be. I don't think they just had a star, because why would they even listen to the star? Here's what what we know is that, and I'm convinced of this, that Daniel was one of the wise men of the East. 500 years before. And he had a profound influence on those wise men there in Babylon and then Persia. And because of that, I'm sure he gave them the scriptures. And of course, as the scriptures were formed, there were still people there, Jewish people in those places of the world. They had the scriptures, and so did the wise men. And so hundreds of years pass. 500 years passed and they are still reading the scriptures, and they are reading about the coming Messiah. And, you know, the scriptures are very plain. Uh, the Lord Jesus talked about how the the scriptures foretold that the Messiah would suffer and die and be raised again to glory. Uh, and and so I'm sure they saw that and understood the significance of, uh, of the, the death, the coming death of the Messiah. Uh, some people have even suggested that the purpose of the myrrh, the gift of myrrh, was it's a burial spice to prepare him for burial. So I believe they did understand the the that the Messiah would come as a redeemer. And and because they wanted to worship him for that reason. Uh, I think they understood him as the Savior. So I think that, uh, I think you asked, uh, did they ever reconnect with the Lord Jesus again throughout his life? Doubtful. I think, uh.
S6: Come come back into the region? Or did they even start a church in their own home?
S1: Well, the church was not born yet. Uh, to be the church wasn't born until Pentecost. Uh, so that's, uh, some 37 years later.
S6: They were almost like pre disciples, like they understood that this was.
S1: They were like Old Testament believers, but they or like Simeon as well. Uh, they they were and, uh, the thing is, we have no evidence whatsoever that they, uh, that they came back to Israel and, and came to hear the public ministry of Jesus or anything like that. We have. No, that that would be, I think, pretty far fetched. But you know what, Doug? You should write a novel about it. Probably it'll sell a million copies. Okay.
S6: Okay. Well.
S1: Thank you. Sure. Thanks for your call. Appreciate it. Uh, we're going to talk with Craig in Midland, Texas, listening online with uh, to on Ktg. Hey, Craig, how can I help you today?
S7: Yeah, I'd like to do a follow up question to Genealogy's last week. Uh, I think in Matthew, it includes Jeconiah in Joseph's lineage. Uh, Jeconiah was an evil king during Jeremiah's time. God said none of your descendants will ever sit on the throne of David. And I think that the Pharisees understood that that indeed made Jesus the Messiah, because if Joseph had been his father, he would have been no threat to them. And I think that's a reason that Matthew wrote that genealogy was because the Pharisees are very knowledgeable with the old, what we would call the Old Testament. I just want to make sure that I'm not Extending rabbinic thought to something that should listen.
S1: I don't I don't know what the Pharisees thought about the Jeconiah curse. I don't know what they thought about the genealogy. I think that's a lot of speculation. Here's what I think about this. Uh, Jeremiah 2230 is the passage where it says, right, this man childless. Uh, I'll read you the verse if I can find it. Jeremiah 2230. Here's what it says. Record this man as childless, a man who will not be successful in his lifetime. None of his descendants will succeed in sitting on the throne of David or ruling again in Judah. What this does is it sets up a catch 22. The catch 22 is this the only person who has the right to reign would have to be descended from Jeconiah. And yet the line is cursed so that no one who is actually descended from Jeconiah can sit on the throne. Do you see? The catch 22 has to be from that line and then. But no one can be. So what we have is the physical birth of Jesus through his mother, Mary, who's also the line of David, but from the line of Nathan. So Jeconiah is not in there. That's recorded in the Gospel of Luke. So he is the Son of David, but he needs to be through the line of Solomon to be king. That's what Joseph was. Joseph adopts the Lord Jesus, so he has all the rights to sit on the throne, though adopted. However, he is literally of the line of David through Mary. He's adopted through Joseph. And because of that, because of that adoption, he's able to, uh, to at the same time have the right to sit on the throne. And also, he is not of the physical descent of Jeconiah, so he can still be, uh, the king. The curse does not apply to him. Is that what you're trying to get at, Craig?
S7: Well, that okay, that that because I assumed I'm not Jewish. I don't have a background, but I just figured because Mary was through Nathan, who's through David, that that would have given him rights to the throne, but that would not then that it had to be adopted through Joseph.
S1: Yeah. Well, that's that's how it's one of the reasons, I believe, for the virgin birth is to give the right to rule from the line of David through Mary and the the right to the throne through his adopted father not and therefore not cursed. So that's that's how I understand it. So. Well, we're going to come back with the mailbag. You can always reach us by going to Open Line radio.org and clicking on Ask Michael a question, and then Tricia will put it in the mailbag. And that's what she's going to bring in. We're ready for the Febc mailbag. Don't go away. We're coming right back with the questions you've sent in. This is Michael Ray Dolnick.
UU: On Open Line.
S8: What child.
S9: Is this? Who laid to rest on Mary's lap is sleeping? Whom angels greet.
UU: With anthems sweet while shepherds.
S9: Watch our key.
S1: Wow. Beautiful. What a wonderful version of that classic hymn. So grateful to be celebrating the season with you. You know, I'm getting ready for three holidays. Trisha Trisha is joining me right now. Holidays. Mailbag. Yes.
S10: Tell me, what are they? I know about Christmas. Christmas.
S1: And then Hanukkah starts the day after.
S10: Christmas, right? Yeah. Christmas at sundown. Yep. It's so late this year.
S1: Yeah, I know, and then every Jewish holiday is either late or early. It's never on time. So, uh. And so we've got. And then also my grandson was born on the 24th and that's a holiday too.
S10: Oh, yes.
S1: There we go. Yeah. So we're going to be celebrating his birthday on the 24th. Uh, celebrating the Messiah, as we call it, on the 25th. And then celebrating Hanukah on the 26th because Hanukkah lasts eight days. So.
S10: So you've got, like, a ten day celebration coming up here? Yeah. Yeah. Fantastic. I got I.
S1: Got partying, I don't know how much weight I'm going to gain. Going to eat a lot. That's what I'm going to do.
S10: That's a next day problem, right? Yeah. Yeah.
S1: Birthday cake. Latkes. Who knows what else? Uh, there we go. So candy canes. Anyway, I'm glad you're with me, and, uh, I it's time for the Febc mailbag. I'm so grateful at this season for all this past year. Far Eastern Broadcasting Company partners with Open Line to bring the weekly Febc mailbag. Febc is a wonderful organization. It brings the good news to people with media and also personal engagement. There are people there, not just it's just not radio waves. It's it's with people as well. And you should check out the Febc podcast. it's called Until All Have Heard. The way you find it is by going to npr.org. And Tricia, did you notice how all these people in in the studio with you?
S10: Yes, yes I did.
S1: Yeah. We've got Omar sometimes. Merl is in there helping him out. And then we've got Lisa there. And to hear her. And you. What a team we got.
S10: Yeah, it's a great team.
S1: Yeah. And, you know, there's someone else behind this team. And that. Those are our kitchen table partners. They're part of the team too. I also think that every listener is part of the team, because we wouldn't have a program if no one was listening, so I'm grateful for that. But those kitchen table partners, they're the ones that give monthly so that we can be on the air weekly. And I so appreciate them, uh, doing that. They, uh, and I think at Christmas time, I need to mention this. Right. You can get if a person commits to $30 a month. Then they get 50% off everything in the Moody Publishers catalog, including what I think is the best Christmas present for everyone. The Moody Bible Commentary.
S10: So it's a great one, though, at this time of year, your your book about the messianic prophecies might be a good one for people to. But that you didn't say that I said that, but but as a general rule, the Moody Bible Commentary is great all year round.
S1: Yeah, it's great all year round. And then the what Tricia was mentioning was the Handbook of Messianic Prophecy, which is a labor of love that I was involved with for a number of years, and I'm really grateful for it. So with that said, uh, I appreciate all of you being part of the team. If you'd like to become part of the team by becoming a kitchen table partner, all you have to do is call (888) 644-7122 or go to open line radio.org and remember every other week. Then you'll get a special Emailed audio Bible study prepared exclusively for our kitchen table partners. Just a way of saying thanks. I've been really enjoying them. Recently we did a special Christmas and we've got a special New Year's one coming out. Eve has been helping me out with those and they're fun Bible studies. Again, if you'd like to become a kitchen table partner, call (888) 644-7122 or go to open Line radio.org. And it's greatly appreciated. Uh, okay. We've got a bunch of, uh, emailed questions. Let's see what we can do with those.
S10: All right. Our first question is from Lori. She wrote us on Facebook and says she had two questions. Can you talk about, first, Mary's knowledge of Scripture. I heard someone teach that her Magnificat in Luke one covers 14 Old Testament passages. Was that empowered by the Holy Spirit, or did she know the scriptures? How unusual would it have been for a Jewish woman to know Scripture, because they were not taught the same way men were?
S1: She says here. Someone said it's highly unusual for Jewish women to know the scripture, right as I'm reading this question. Well, first of all, of course she was empowered by the Holy Spirit, but she did know the scriptures just to just saying, okay, uh, that, you know, there's she didn't write the the book of Luke. Luke did. So he was the one superintended by the scriptures to write the inspired text of Scripture. But it's an accurate reflection of what she said. And she knew the scriptures, and that's why she was able to compose her Magnificat the way she did. It was very biblical. In New Testament times. Jewish women were indeed educated in both the Bible and rabbinic law, because they had to keep the law in the home. In fact, among scholars, Jewish scholars like what we think of the scribes and Pharisees and lawyers. The that's what we read in the New Testament. The daughter of a scholar was considered the best prospect for marriage in Judaism in the first century because of her education, because she had even a better teacher than her, uh, than her father. Just an ordinary father. He was a scholar. Uh, there are, if you read the Talmud, there are many stories about women whose husband died and or maybe a husband was exiled or separated from his family. And yet these women were able to educate their children because of their own education. So this idea that Jewish women weren't taught the scriptures, I don't know where that comes from, but people say it all the time about Mary, that she was unusual because she knew the scriptures from the Magnificat. That's not true. All young Jewish women were taught the Bible.
S10: That's great. Yeah, I and I wonder how much is just the the assumptions of men versus women and where the care was in on scholarly learning or that type of teaching. Yeah.
S1: Some carried on actually because of their fathers became scholars. Wow. And and also, if you read rabbinic literature when mothers are so honored. Mm. Uh, because of their love for God and love for the word. That's what honors them. And so, obviously, in the Jewish world, knowing the scriptures was not limited to men. Then by the time you get to the Middle Ages, which is later, the greatest Jewish Bible interpreter of the Middle Ages, from about, uh, 1040 to 1105. Ah, his dates, some people say 1110. His name was Rabbi Shlomo Yitzchaki, and or sometimes he's called for short. Rashi. Okay. And Rashi's daughters became scholars as well. So I think yeah, that's that's important.
S10: Yeah. Well thank you for that. Um, her second question is, is there a resource to demonstrate all of the symbolism of Jesus birth? So we had a caller earlier in this hour who asked about the lambs. Were they kept in mangers similar to Jesus would have been. Um, and this this.
S1: Person says, are they like this thing about swaddling, swaddling.
S10: Cloths that they were wrapped in as baby lambs? Like some of these, uh, I'll call them extra biblical stories, but were that they get used as illustrations of how Jesus is similar to other things that existed already. Is there a resource or something that talks about those things?
S1: Here's what I would suggest. The best thing to do is to, uh, to read the Bible and not worry about all those other things. The Bible is quite understandable, I think. Like the swaddling cloth thing, there are people who always want to find mysteries. Secrets that only when you know the Jewish background will you really get it. Well, I don't think that's true. I'm reaching here to a book on my, uh.
S10: On your shelf behind you. Yeah.
S1: Talk for a second.
S10: I'm going to grab a second. I think I think sometimes he's not going to hear me, but I think sometimes we. It gives it can give extra meaning. It can give some extra meaning when we hear some of these things. Not because we can't understand it otherwise, but I wonder if it's like, oh, it has this extra dual meaning that I didn't understand before. I think sometimes there are things like that that maybe people are looking for.
S1: Yeah, they're looking for a lot of stuff in Jewish backgrounds. But if we want to get the cultural historical background, here's a really good book. It's written by a Jewish archaeologist. Uh. Uh, she's a professor of early Judaism at at UNC University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. The book is is written by Jodi magness. Jodi magness m a g n e s and the name of the book is Stone and dung. Oil and spit. Sounds lovely, doesn't it? Stone and dung. Oil and spit. The subtitle is Jewish daily life in the time of Jesus.
S10: Mhm.
S1: And that might be a book that helps you understand just basic life. And then when we read in the Gospels, we'll understand, for example, what's the whole deal with wanting to wash their hands. There's a whole section here about how Jewish people would have a ritual washing of hands. And this explains it. So this is this is helpful. Uh, there's another book from a century earlier by Alfred Edersheim, called Sketches of Jewish Social Life in the days of in the Time of Christ or Days of Christ. Something like that. Sketches of Jewish Social Life by Alfred Edersheim. Uh e d e r s h e I'm. Uh, and those are some books that might help, but I really think that sometimes some of the more contemporary ones that you read about, they're trying to find things that aren't there. And I would just be really cautious.
S10: Okay. So and I will link both of those on our website for people who are looking for them or missed the titles. So I will link both of those. How do we know? I guess where's the difference between that symbol and prophecy and knowing that Jesus fulfilled those prophecies? How? How do we know if those are a stretch or if those are biblical?
S1: Well, the thing is, when you look at the prophecy that he would be born in Bethlehem, he's born in Bethlehem, right?
S10: Yeah. You know.
S1: It's it's, uh, but he really comes from eternity. Uh, when they the this whole thing, it doesn't say he's going to be wrapped in, uh, uh, it doesn't.
S10: Say he'll be wrapped in swaddling cloths.
S1: Yeah, it doesn't say that. And and every baby was wrapped in swaddling cloth and and and I will tell you this. If you try to wrap a baby lamb in a swaddling cloth, boy, they would be really unhappy with you. That's not true. So. Okay. Okay. All right. Well, we're going to take a break. All right. We'll take some next time when we come back. Next hour. Lightning. I'm going to answer quickly. Okay. Quickly. All right. Okay. And we'll get as many in as we can next hour. Uh, but we're going to come back with more of your called in questions in just a moment. That was Tricia McMillan. I'm Michael Ray Dolnick. This program is called Open Line, and we'll be right back with your questions. Mostly seems like about Christmas. Stay with us.
S11: Hark! How the bells, sweet silver bells all seem to say. Throw cares away Christmas is here. Bringing good cheer to young and old. Meek and the poor. Ding dong, ding dong. That is their song. With joyful ring all caroling. One seems to hear words of good cheer from everywhere.
UU: Filling the air. Oh how they pound. Raising the sound in the dark. Telling the tale gaily they ring while people sing songs of good cheer Christmas is here. Merry, merry, merry Christmas. Merry, merry, merry, merry Christmas.
S1: Wow. You know what? What a wonderful season. I you know, I wasn't raised to celebrate Christmas. I remember the very first year after I came to faith in Jesus. How exciting it was. I'm not talking about a tree or anything like that, but to celebrate the birth of the King, that was very exciting. And then also the second time, it became especially exciting for me at Christmas season. I always like Christmas season. Always have. But when it was really special was when my firstborn was born, and there I was holding a two month old baby and to the amazement of God becoming incarnate enfleshed in a baby and taking on such limitation that just as I held that baby, I was just awed by the incarnation. And so that's a that's a great reminder. When we're celebrating, it's not just, uh, the caroling and the bells and all that. It's what it points to. The birth of the messianic king. Uh, who is God in the flesh? That's just amazing. Well, uh, you know, most people think of Hanukkah as the season's only Jewish holiday. But when Jesus was born to a Jewish virgin in Bethlehem of Judea, according to the Jewish scriptures. So it's in a Jewish town. Jewish scriptures. Jewish virgin. Jewish adopted father. What could be more Jewish about this story? I can't think of anything. Well, now. Chosen People Ministries, one of Open Lines partners, is offering a free book called Christmas Through Jewish Eyes. It's designed to help us understand and see the Jewishness of Christmas. If you'd like a free copy, just go to Open Line radio.org. That's our website. Scroll down and you'll see the link that says A free gift from Chosen People Ministries. Click on that and you'll be taken to a form where you can sign up for your own free copy of Christmas Through Jewish Eyes. And we're going to go right to the phones now, we're going to talk to Donna in Cleveland, listening on Wtxf. Welcome to Open Line, Donna. How can I help you?
S12: Yes. Um, both Mary and Joseph were of the line of David, and I've always wondered why there weren't other relatives traveling with them to Bethlehem. And as a mother, if I had a daughter that was expecting that close to birth, I'd want to travel with her.
S1: Well, you know where there's a lot of conjecture that people have about the Bible, and we see the stories of Christmas. And so we always assume that the conjectures are true. So, for example, we don't know that they didn't come with other people from the house, from the line of David, from Nazareth. We don't know that. Or from Galilee. Uh, it just says that when they got to Bethlehem, there was there was no room for them in in the guest house. It is very likely and very possible that there were other people with them on the route coming down, and maybe even family members we don't know. Okay. That Mary's mother was alive. Yet at this point, we don't know that. Doesn't talk about Mary's mother. Maybe she had passed already. We don't know. Uh, so there's there's a lot of conjecture. Here's what we know. We know what the scriptures say. That they came to Bethlehem. How and with whom? We don't know. And there was no room for them, probably because there were so many people coming from other parts of the country to be in Bethlehem for this, from the house of David, so that they could pay this tax. And so as a result, there's no room for them in the guest house. The guest room. And so what do they do now? Now, maybe there's some relatives staying in in the house. And that's why there's no room for Mary and Joseph. We just don't know. So. Okay. Uh, don't don't don't presume that no one else was there. But we know in the in the stable there, there were a bunch of angels too. So. And shepherds and so all that kind of shows up. Okay, I should say shepherds, not angels. The angels are out in the field with the shepherds. So there we go. Okay.
S12: All right. Thanks.
S4: Good.
S1: Thank you for your call, Donna. Appreciate it. Uh, Eric in Chicago listening on Wmbi. How can I help you today?
S13: Hi. Uh, my name is Eric. And, uh, my question is because I have, uh, um, I can understand. Virgin. Virgin. Inception, uh, of Jesus in Mary's womb. Uh, but I still have a struggle with the virgin birth without breaking the purity of Mary.
S1: Well, uh, the only way to break purity is through sexual relations outside of marriage. And, uh, here's what we know. Here's what. Here's what we know. The prophecy of Isaiah 714 doesn't just say that she would conceive as a virgin. It actually says the pregnant virgin. That's really how the Hebrew reads the pregnant virgin will give birth. So that's first of all, it was predicted that way. Uh, Mary says to the angel, how can this be? For I have not known a man. So she says, I'm a virgin. He says it's the Holy Spirit. And then it says in Matthew that, uh, Joseph kept her a virgin until she gave birth. So she wasn't a perpetual virgin. She, uh, had a normal marriage with with Joseph. And they had other children, but, uh, she was kept a virgin until she gave birth. And so she never had sexual relations until after the birth of Jesus. And that's why she was always a virgin. And that's. That's the best. I can explain it to you. Uh, no sexual relations until after the birth of Jesus, which is a great miracle, if you can. I mean, it's still a miracle. It was a miracle. It's amazing. Well, thanks for listening, everyone. That's the first hour. Keep listening to the second hour of Open Line coming up on most of these stations. And if you if your station doesn't carry it, you can always check out the podcast or Moody Radio app, or you can listen online. Check out our web page during the break. Open Line radio.org. It's got all sorts of links that you're going to find helpful, including how to get our current resource and how to become a kitchen table partner. The Bible study across America will continue in the second hour, so stay with us. Open line with Doctor Michael Melnick is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute. We'll be right back, so don't go away.