S1: So then every opportunity that you've had to receive the good news of Jesus Christ for all of eternity, that's going to be playing in the computer of your mind. Can you imagine the agony of that?
S2: Welcome to Treasure Truth with pastor and author James Ford, junior senior pastor of the Christ Bible Church in Chicago. I'm Steve Hiller, pastor. Today we continue on a sobering topic. That is the subject of hell. We began last time by addressing the fact that hell is a place of eternal torment. And as you just pointed out, one of those things that may torment us for eternity are those opportunities that we did have to come to know Christ that someone said no to.
S1: I believe every time you rejected the Lord Jesus Christ will be playing over and over again in your mind for all of eternity. Yeah, that you'll with pinpoint clarity and accuracy. Remember every time you rejected Jesus Christ and you're saying to yourself over and over again, I didn't have to be here. Why didn't I listen? Why didn't I listen? Yeah. The remorse, you know, for the failure to repent. And, man, I think that's going to be very evident.
S2: Yeah. And for maybe the person who doesn't know Christ and finds himself listening to this broadcast today, I hope that this is, uh, maybe an encouragement for you to begin that relationship with Christ. But for those who do know, Jesus, and I would think many listening today fall into that category, if not most. I hope this is kind of that kick in the backside to say, man, take this seriously and get out and share the good news with those around you.
S1: And especially if you have any family members that don't know the Lord, start there. Uh, you know, just go to them and just share. You know, I've known the Lord and I've been silent. But listen, I want to tell you that he loves you and that he died for you. And then don't forget, if you reject him, there is a hell that awaits. We don't want to say that, but it's a reality. And our failure to share that, you know, we're not giving them the whole counsel of God.
S2: Yeah, yeah. Very true. Well, today we are in Luke chapter 16, so I hope you open your Bible. Join us there as we continue a message called Seven Things in Hell that ought to be in the church. Here is Pastor Ford.
S1: Look what it says in Luke 1619 through 31. Let me give you the characteristics of hell. Characteristics of hell, number one is for self righteous sinners. What's the problem with the rich man? It isn't that he just didn't share. He demonstrated that he did not have the love of God in him according to all Old Testament passages. And so, uh, he is a self righteous sinner. Secondly, it is a place for souls. It's a place for souls. So it's a place for self-righteous sinners, and it's a place for souls. So then this teaches us and the other passages about it. There's no such thing as annihilation that a soul is eternal. And so everybody in here, whether you know Jesus Christ or not, you are going to live forever somewhere. Those of us who know Jesus will live forever in heaven, and those who don't are going to bust hell wide open, in the words of my mama. And so just because we don't believe it doesn't change anything. Notice then, so it's a place for self-righteous sinners. It's a place for souls. Then thirdly, it's a place of suffering. It's a place of suffering. So Matthew said, the worm dieth not. Uh, so it is, uh, a place where the worm. Now theologians aren't agreed. And I'm not a theologian, so I'm just going to tell you what both sides say. Where the worm dieth not. Some think it is your consciousness. Where the worm dieth not. Some think it's the soul. Now I lean on the side of consciousness, even though, uh, you know, like I said, I'm not a theologian, so I'm not sure. That's why, you know, you you study it on your own. But why would I say that? Because imagine the intensity of being able to know that you didn't have to be there. Had you listened to your grandmamma or had you listened to, you know, that time you went to church on Resurrection Sunday and heard the gospel and came in just as I am, and left just as you were, that you heard this and and now you're in hell, the worm. In other words, your consciousness about the fact that. So then every opportunity that you've had to receive the good news of Jesus Christ for all of eternity, that's going to be playing in the computer of your mind. Can you imagine the agony of that man? And so it is a place of self righteous sinners. It's a place of souls. It's a place of suffering. But then here's what else he teaches us. It's a place of searing flames because he says, I'm. I'm tormented in these flames. I'm tormented in these flames. Then I want you to notice. Fifthly, it's a place of separation. Separation says there's a great gulf, verse 26, between us and you, there's a great gulf fixed so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us. So then it's a place of self-righteous sinners, souls suffering, searing flames, separation. It's a place of supplication. The rich man is praying, and he uses a word that literally means where he says. Then he said, I beg you. Therefore other places that's translated prayer. And so he is supplicating. Uh, then number seven, it's a place of sensitivity. So, so let me just let me just show you this. Let me just show you this. He says, um, then he said, verse 27, I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house, for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, that they also, lest they also come to this place of torment. So in hell, they're concerned about lost people. How concerned are we? Yeah, there's sensitivity to lost people. Yeah. And then, uh, finally, it's ceaseless. It's ceaseless, it's incarceration, and people will never get out. So there's some things hell will never have. No light, no liquid, no laughter, no liberty, and no one who isn't lost. Let me say it again. There are some things hell will never have. They will never have no light, no liquid, no laughter, no liberty, and no one who isn't lost. Now here it is. Let me, let me allegorize it. So this this is. You know what I did when I did that message? Uh, is now 16 years ago, I did a message entitled seven Things in Hell that ought to be in the church, seven things in hell that ought to be in the church. I'm going to drop them. I'm not going to push them. Number one vision. Vision. It says. He looked up, and being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off and Lazarus in his bosom. Yeah. I'm allegorizing, yes I am. Yeah, yeah. I'm not giving you the interpretation. I gave you that already. I'm giving you the application. Say, what are you talking about? Seeing afar off. What is vision? Duke Ellington had a definition of rhythm. Here's what he said. If you got it, you don't need a definition. And if you don't got it, ain't no definition going to help you. Yeah. Well, what is it? The ability to be able to see afar off regardless of your present circumstance? Here's a man in hell, but he has the vision to see Abraham's bosom and Abraham in Paradise And you know what the church needs. Vision. Visionaries. What? What is that? Vision is seeing where you want to be and believing God can take you there. Where do you want to be as a church? As a person? What are you trying to accomplish? You got to see yourself there. You got to be like the guy who's just started as a freshman in college. And the front of his shirt said, I'm going to be a doctor. And he was riding a bike. And the license plate said, And I'm going to be a Mercedes Benz. You gotta see where you want to be. Vision is believing God can. Vision is believing. God will. Vision is believing. God can and will do it for me, I like bananas definition of vision. He's got a book. If you want to read a great book that will fire you up about where God wants you to go, read bananas. Book on vision. Here's his definition I love it. Vision is a clear mental image of a preferable future imparted by God to his chosen servants, and is based upon an accurate understanding of God, self and circumstance. Let me say it again. Vision is a clear mental image of a preferable future, imparted by God to his chosen servants, and is based upon an accurate understanding of God's self and circumstances. Proverbs 2918. Come on, let's all say it together. Where there is no vision, the people perish. Where are we going? Christ. Bible. What are we going to do? Well, I hope, first of all, that we will pay off this sanctuary and then go ahead and build our community life center. That's what I hope that we will do. I've had that vision for a while. Helen Keller was asked, is there anything worse than being blind? Here's what she said. Classic. Yes. Having sight but no vision. Sight but no vision where you want your family to be in two years? In three years? Where do you see yourself? What do you see yourself doing? You know, I remember, uh, Lakeshore Pointe, uh, condos up here on 75th and South Shore Drive as you pass there. Anybody ever see those? You know, they're pretty nice. Uh, but I remember when it was just an empty lot. Anybody remember when it was just an empty lot? Around 71st Street? I wonder if anybody saw what I saw. Uh, one day, me and my wife were traveling, and, uh, I just happened to notice it. And I saw Lakeshore Pointe condos. 50% sold, but it was just a parking lot. And so I said to my wife, I said, what do you see over there? You know what she said? What? That mess. And I and she said, okay, okay, I know it's a sermon illustration. Would you tell me I said, you saw a mess. 50% of the people are going to live there. Saw a building? Yeah. You saw an empty lot. 50% of the people that are going to live there saw a condo. You saw dirt and rocks. 50% of the people that are going to live there saw home. See, you saw with our sight. They saw with vision because they put their money down where they believed they were going. How about you?
S2: You're listening to Treasure Truth with Pastor Ford. And we'll get back to this message. Seven things in hell that ought to be in the church in just a moment. You know, Pastor Ford has written a number of books, and you can find out what they are and even get a copy. When you come to our website, npr.org, click on the links that say Books by Pastor Ford. You'll see the different titles available as a paperback or an e-book format. You can click on the contact link and ask a question or give us your feedback. Let us know where you listen and how Pastor Ford's teaching is making a difference in your walk with Christ. You're going to find that and opportunities to listen to each and every broadcast. When you come to our Website. Treasure. Truth. Radio. Once again, back to our message. Here is Pastor Ford.
S1: And so what are the hindrances of division? Let me give em to you. Let me give em to you. I hope you write these down. Here are the hindrances to vision. Four of them. Complacency. Status quo. Being satisfied with where we are. Are you satisfied? Hey, here's what I've been praying. I shouldn't even let you know because I said I didn't want to tell everything, but I've been praying. Fill this place up, Lord, on Wednesday morning. Amen. Amen. Amen. Then carnality. Carnality. When we are fleshly critics, critics, people who have the gift of criticism and then circumstances. Circumstance. Those are the four vision killers complacency, carnality, criticism and circumstance. Now, I'm not saying, you know, that you can't, uh, be critical. You ought to be analytical and not accept everything. Oh, but I'm telling you, if the glass is always half empty and it's never half full, you got a critical spirit. Here's the second thing. Here's the second thing. Uh, the first thing, then, is what? Vision. Here's the second thing. And remember what Haggai said. Haggai chapter one. Write the vision. Make it plain. Here's the second thing. A broken spirit, a broken spirit. It says he's crying out and he's crying out to the Lord for deliverance. And what is it? He's humbling himself. Finally. Uh, the the Bible tells us, uh, he was clothed in fine purple and linen and fared sumptuously every day. Uh, you know, uh, but there was a certain beggar named Lazarus full of sores laid at his gate, desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table. On and on it goes. And here, now you you got this person who was so high and haughty and proud. Now that person is humbled, uh, before Almighty God. F.B. Meyer said this. The only hope of a decreasing self is an increasing Christ. Mm. Why aren't sinners getting saved like they used to? Maybe it's because Christians aren't broken like they used to be. Right. Yeah. Here's a person that was broken. We don't want to get on our knees anymore. We don't want to get him dirty. Second Corinthians chapter 34. Josiah's brokenness stopped God's hand. 34, 18 and 19. Verse 24 and 28. Second Chronicles 34. Verse 18, 19, 24 and 28. Psalm 51. David's brokenness stayed God's hand with his sin with Bathsheba. Verse 16 and 17. So God gives us grace based on brokenness and repentance. Jeremiah said, break up the fallow ground. He was talking about our hearts and the hardness of our heart. So God is like a farmer. He doesn't sow his seed on ground that had, first of all, not been broken up. Second Chronicles 714 if my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray and seek my face. You know the rest of it. So many of us gotta be like Moses, right? Moses said two things all of us need to do when it comes to God. He said, here am I. Who am I? What is that availability and identity or humility? I'm sorry. Humility and availability. So Philippians chapter two, let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God, but took upon himself no reputation. Here's the third thing thirst. There's thirst in heaven. My mother used to say it all the time. Mama, can I have. I want people in hell want ice water, but they ain't getting none. That's what she tell me all the time. No people in hell want out. That's what they want. And so it says. The flames are intense and. And metaphorically. Don't we need a cool tongue? James says the tongue is a fire, and it needs to be cooled down. If there's a place where we need to quench the tongue, it is in the church. Gossip runs down more people than automobiles. I know you remember this. Let me tell you about a local enterprise. There's one in every town. No matter what the size. It doesn't turn a profit or bring any revenue. It's good for one thing. And that's the damage it will do. It's called the rumor mill. The people who work there are all volunteers. The only qualification is a mouth and two big ears. If the story's not clear, that's okay. They'll just doctor it up and send it on its way. It doesn't matter who's involved or who is going to hurt. As long as people keep listening, they'll keep shoveling dirt at the rumor mill. Now listen to my children, to this warning I make. You got a lot to lose. There's a lot here at stake. The Bible states plainly. You're going to reap what you sow. And you'll be shown mercy by the mercy that you show. So shut your mouth and ask your friends to do the same. Or you end up a victim with no one to blame. At the rumor mill. Number four. Number four. Remembrance. Remembrance. Isn't that amazing? There's no Alzheimer's in hell. My father said. remember, hell is a place of remembrance. And how do we often do? We do it? We remember what we should forget and we forget what we should remember. Remember the children of Israel going to the land God said to them, don't forget that I delivered you. I brought you and all of that. And what do they do? They forgot everything that God did as soon as they got in there. Matter of fact, they didn't even wait till they got in there. He. They crossed the Red sea. They come to Meribah. And what did they say? How come we don't have any water? God didn't give. He just. He just delivered you out of anyway. And so remembrance Jeremiah 1815. Because my people have forgotten me, they have burned incense to vanity, and they have caused them to stumble in the way. And so what does it do? You know, he he just told them your your worship is effective, your witness is affected, your walk is affected, and your warfare is affected when you forget who brought you where you are. Who gave you what you have. Who you are. Live and move and have your being in. And so. God. Uh, you know, like I said before, the saddest thing about hell is realizing you didn't have to be there. Then just write these down so I can go ahead and let you ask your questions. Concern for the loss. Concern for the loss. We already see that. Here's what I read. And I you know, there's different statistics I pick this one says three people go to hell every second in the world. 180 per minute, 259,200 a day. 8,856,000 a month. 94,608,000 people die and go to hell every year. How does that impact us? The founder of the Salvation Army, general Booth, was asked, what would you do to get Christians fired up to share Jesus Christ? You know what he said? I send them to hell for five minutes and they come back. Evangelists. Oh, yeah. Oh, yeah. Here it is. Last one. Separation. There's a great Gulf fix. I like it when Babbie Mason was here. Remember what she said? She said I had too much church for the world and too much world for the church. See, the problem is not that the church is in the world, but the problem is the world is in the church. I gotta save a little bit of time. Alright. Let's pray. Father God, we thank you and we praise you for your grace and goodness to us. Grant that we would apply what your word has to say. And it's all because of Jesus Christ. And all of God's Spirit filled people are on their way to heaven and not to hell, said Thank God.
S2: Well, if you don't know whether you're on your way to heaven or hell, please don't wait another moment to be sure someone is standing by to take your call to pray with you and answer questions that you may have about this. The number to call is one 888. Need him? That's 888. Need him. You're listening to Treasure Truth with Pastor Ford and a message entitled Seven Things in Hell that ought to be in the church. Now, if you're a Christian, already sharing the gospel is one of the most important tasks that God wants us to do. But statistically, less than half of all believers have actually talked about the gospel with a non-believer in the last six months. Maybe that's you. Maybe you're in that category, but you know someone who needs to hear the good news. You've just never worked up the courage. We have a book for you that will prepare you for any opportunity that God gives you. It's called How to Witness to Anyone and it's written by R.A. Torrey. Now, the book is a compilation of Bible verses arranged topically, addressing subjects like dealing with the open hearted, talking with skeptics, strength for difficult times, and becoming a mature believer. When you give a gift of any amount and support this ministry, we're going to send you a copy with our thanks. Make sure you ask for how to witness to anyone when you call and give. Our number is 888644 7660 or go online to Treasure Truth Radio. I'm Steve Hiller. Our producer is Amy Rios. Join us again next time for more Bible teaching from Pastor Ford here on Treasure truth. A production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.