S1: For you know how like a father with his children, we exhorted each one of you and encouraged you and charged you to walk in a manner worthy of God, who calls you into his own kingdom and glory. First Thessalonians 211 and 12. Hi, I'm Rob West. With Father's Day approaching, we're asking a deeper question what kind of legacy are we leaving as men, as dads, and as stewards of what God has entrusted to us? Jonathan Lewis from fathers for fathers is here to talk about that. Today we're talking fatherhood, faith and financial discipleship that shapes generations. Then on to your calls at 800, 500, 25, 7000. This is faith and finance. Live biblical wisdom for your financial journey. Well, I'm delighted to have my friend Jonathan Lewis with us today. He's president of Eastport Financial Group and the founder of fathers for fathers. He's a great friend. Fathers for fathers is a faith based organization that restores hope, healing, and purpose in the lives of men, especially fathers. Jonathan, great to have you here.
S2: It's great to be here. Rob.
S1: We've been talking about this for a long time.
S2: Yeah, I like your studio, man. Do you know it?
S1: I'm glad that you're on the other end of the mic today. And I'm even more excited about our topic, especially with Father's Day just around the corner. So I want to back up. And why don't we start by just giving you a chance to share a bit about your story, and how God used that story to ultimately allow you to launch the ministry.
S2: Yeah. I mean, um, revelation 1211 says they'll know us by the blood of the lamb and our testimony. And so, um, you know, 34 years ago, if you told a 15 year old kid when he dragged his dead dad to a beach in the North Atlantic in Nova Scotia, that God would, 34 years later, take that story and all the brokenness that ensued in the wake of that and turned it into such a victory story with fathers fathers, that 15 year old kid wouldn't have believed you and probably wouldn't have cared because I was so broken up over the loss of my dad and the guilt that I carried onto that beach that day that I had not successfully been able to save him. And there was a lot of wreckage in the wake of those years. Rob. Um, you know, I couch surfed, uh, slept in my car, bounced around somehow, by the grace of God, did not end up in some kind of an institution. Uh, other than the Canadian Armed Forces. That was the institution I ended up in, and that probably saved me and taught me discipline. And fast forward to today. Uh, and all those war wounds and scars, um, have given me a tremendous energy to go after men and, um, to really dig deep with them, not take a passive victim mindset set answer as a brush off. And my wife would say, Jonathan is like a hot knife through butter when it comes to broken men. And I know it's because the Holy Spirit and just the fact that I love these guys, and I can see them for what they are.
S1: What does success look like, Jonathan, for dads that are listening today, that they want to be successful. But it's more than that. They really want to be a faithful father.
S2: Mhm. Well first of all your story is not done if you're still breathing. And for some guys they might be questioning whether they even want to do that. I can remember a period of my life where I was so low that the pain was so deep. I thought the only way to stop the pain was to end my life. And so for the guys listening, if you're out there and you're really struggling with, I don't know how to do this. I don't know how to be a dad. I don't even know how to get the energy to want to live my life or go to work. You can do it, but you can't do it alone. That's the hard rub here, guys. Um, we are wired to want to withdraw and, uh, and try and do it on our own. 84% of men rob out there would say they don't have one guy to talk to. Did you know that stat? No. That is disturbing. Yeah. Um, and so you're not alone. But you need to reach out. You need to try and find guys. And for the guys that have an element of their footing. And maybe you've grown up in the church, or maybe you have a good group. I would encourage you to look for these guys. They're not hard to spot. And don't take the first 12 no's, uh, as a brush off. Lean in on them. They want to be pursued. They're just broken.
S1: Well, we're going to continue to unpack this. There's a lot to talk about today. What is that faithful father role look like? What if you're carrying shame and regret? Where do you go from here? What if you feel like you've missed your chance? And then let's press into the stewardship aspect of it. What does it look like to really, uh, articulate and model biblical financial stewardship? And that certainly includes financial stewardship. But it goes beyond that into how we model values and priorities and trust in God. We're talking with Jonathan Lewis today. He's the president of Eastport Financial Group, but he's also the founder of fathers for fathers. If you want to learn more, just head to their website. Fathers. forefathers.org. Again, fathers for fathers. We'll be back much more right around the corner as we think about Fathers Day coming up on Sunday. We'll be right back. So glad to have you with us today on Faith and Finance live. I'm Rob West with me today. My friend Jonathan Lewis. He's the founder of fathers for fathers, a faith based organization that restores hope, healing and purpose in the lives of men, especially fathers. And Jonathan, with Father's Day right around the corner. Obviously, this is something on the minds and the hearts of a lot of our listeners. And you mentioned something before the break. You said many men carry silent shame or regret as it relates to their role as fathers. How do you encourage dads who feel like they've failed, or maybe they've missed their chance?
S2: Um, well, the funny thing is, is, um, I always remind them that their story is not over. Um, you know, in our immersive study, we're working on, um, especially for our American audience, uh, football is is always a good analogy. And we basically say to guys, hey, the day you were born, you were born onto a football field and you can't get off the field, you can't leave the game. You got to play. And the question is, is which team are you going to play for? And the terrible rub is you're born playing for the other team, the wrong team. Let's call it the red and black team. Um, but there's this invitation to come over and play for the winning team. And I think often guys suffer from passivity and victimhood, and we just get caught in our own internal dialogue where we beat ourselves down and we start rehearsing our failures. And it's it's amazing how we can spend all our time in our own depreciation room, literally beating ourselves up, instead of actually recognizing a lot of God given strengths that God's given us. And so it's never too late to peel off the jersey and say, I want to play for the other team. It does require contrition, Rob. It requires, uh, acknowledging that you've made some mistakes and it requires a substitute. Someone has to be willing to put on that jersey for you. And thankfully, Jesus Christ already said I already did that. You just got to accept the offer. And so the challenge is, uh, to get in the game and get in the game, uh, on the right side of the field.
S1: And often that involves starting small, taking that next step. You talk about restoring purpose and responsibility. What's a small step a father can take today? Who's hearing you talk and saying, I want that to live more intentionally?
S2: All right, well, I'm going to pick on, uh, on the guys that fit my profile. So I'm. I'm a divorced dad. In the US alone, there's 24 million men who are not in their kids lives. So, uh, and it is painful. Um, I've talked to thousands of men who are not actively engaged in their kids lives. And you know what the common theme is, Rob? They want to be.
S1: Yeah.
S2: They don't want to be an absent dad. Um, and they will start telling you all the reasons why they can't be there or they've messed up, or there's just no way. Uh, and what I can say emphatically. And I have faced this. God will honor you when you honor him. And the apostle Paul wrote a letter to Timothy. He said, you're less than a believer who doesn't provide for your own family. So, for example, uh, there's some hard, hard truths here. If you're a dad who's not in your kids lives, but you also haven't been supporting their mom start. Yeah, right. Own it. Um, if you are a man who, um, has battled with some sin in your life and you've kept it secret, don't do it anymore. Find a guy who's a mentor who who loves you, and get clear and confess that sin to him. Um. It's hard. It's hard because here's the problem. And this is why you don't want to do it. Because then you have to do something after that. And it's called be accountable and change. So you have to want to get in the fight, get in the game. But we can't keep going like this. Um, you know, if you look at the downstream of all the issues that are going on in our society, you could pretty much trace them all back to the pandemic. And I call it a pandemic of fatherlessness. And so, guys, my plea this whole ministry is about encouraging you, not beating you up, but encouraging you to get the gloves on and get in the game. And if you're out, get back in. Right. Brush yourself off. My dad, when I was growing up, he used to say, you're fine, rub some dirt in it. Which we all know is a way to stop the bleeding. There's a there's a bit of truth there. You're fine. Rub some dirt in it. But get yourself around guys that are spiritually mature and they'll encourage you. But you've got to be willing to be accountable.
S1: Yeah. Boy, that's so good. Uh, let's combine this with your day job. I mentioned at the outset of the program that you are the president of Eastport Financial Group. So you counsel families entrusted with much to hold it loosely and to see that as a part of their role as a steward of God's resources, to give it generously, to invest it strategically. Combine that with this role of being intentional as a dad, what does that look like to really model financial stewardship in your legacy?
S2: Yeah, I mean, to me, stewardship is, uh, all one and the same. So whether you're being generous with money and not generous with love or generous with your spirit, generous with your time, then you're missing the point. And so, uh, you know, people always hear me talk about Ephesians 526. Uh, Paul's imploring, uh, men and women to be mutually submitted to each other. Um, you know, he says to the men, love your wives as Christ loved the church, being prepared to present her on the day of judgment. And guys will always say, oh, yeah, well, no, I love my wife. And if there was a proverbial bullet, I would take it for her. It's like, no, that's not what he's talking about. Though. Jesus died for the church. He wants you to die to your flesh. So if you really want to be a man of God who's going to steward everything he's entrusted you with, well, it starts with your wife first, right? Or the mother of your children. But one way or the other, you gotta you gotta steward that. And the way you steward it is dying to your flesh. I talked to a bunch of guys in a men's retreat last weekend about the appreciation room and the depreciation room of our wives. Board up the depreciation room, write the list down, light it on fire. And you should only be spending time in the appreciation room for that woman. And then from there, the stewardship trickles down. Um, you know, make sure you're managing your finances well for your family. Make sure you're living up to the expectations. Um, go to work. Right. Paul said work is good. I hate to say it, but the apostle Paul said, if you don't work, you don't eat. I actually agree with that. Like so. It's about stepping up and stewarding everything God has entrusted us with.
S1: Mm. That's so good. Um. I'd love for you. We're about out of time here today, but I'd love for you to pray for the dads that are listening right now. Uh, on the radio. Some of them discouraged. Uh, some feel like they have failed. Uh, others feel like they're getting it done. But there's more. And I'd love for you just to pray a blessing over them as we prepare for Father's Day this weekend.
S2: Thanks, man. Heavenly father, um, there's always some guy out there that this is meant for. He probably doesn't. Maybe he doesn't listen to this channel and he's just tuned into it or whatever. And here he finds himself with some crazy guy from northeastern Canada praying for him right now. And Lord, I just pray that your Holy Spirit through me would touch his heart. I pray that you would challenge him in, uh, what you, uh, would like to see him do, how he would step up. Only he knows that right now. Lord, whether it's in the area of fatherhood or his finances or. I don't know, Lord, he could be, um, having wandering eyes. And you're convicting him right now. I pray that that he would really cry out to you. And I know you'll meet him. You say that I pray Romans eight over the men listening to this, uh, the very end of that chapter, Paul says, what can separate us from you, Lord? And he goes on to say, nothing. Nothing can separate us. And so, Lord, draw these men in. Let them know that even their sin does not separate them from your love. Uh, and I pray that they would just bring that in, uh, and they would recognize that Jesus Christ was sent by you on the greatest rescue mission of all time. And what's scandalous, Lord, is you would have sent Jesus if it was just one guy. Well, that's scandalous grace, Lord. And I thank you that you sent him for all of us. Amen.
S1: Amen. Jonathan. Grateful for you. Happy Father's Day, my friend.
S2: Thank you.
S1: That's Jonathan Lewis. He's with fathers for fathers. If you want to learn more, head to their website. Fathers for fathers.org. Again, that's fathers for fathers. A lot of resources there that you can take advantage of. I hope you'll heed that counsel and be encouraged today as we prepare for Father's Day. Just a couple of days down the road. A quick break and back with your questions after this. 800 525 7000. That's 800 525 7000. I'm Rob West and this is Faith in finance live. We'll be right back.
S3: The opinions offered during this program represent the personal or professional opinions of the participants are given for informational purposes only. Any information provided is not intended to replace advice from a financial, medical, legal or other professional who understands your specific situation.
S1: Great to have you with us today on Faith in finance. Live. I'm Rob West. We're so glad you're along with us today. Looking forward to taking your calls and questions today. The number 800 525 7000. We've got lines open today. That's 800 525 7000. We'd love to tackle whatever is on your mind going on in your financial life today. We'll also a little later in the broadcast in our final segment will be taking your, um, well, not only your phone calls, but Jerry Boyer will call in to us. Jerry joins us each Friday in the final segment with his update on the markets, and certainly a lot going on in the markets in the wake of the Israeli Iranian conflict. As a result of that market selling off today, the Dow Jones closing down nearly 800 points, the Nasdaq off 250 points, about between 1 and 2% across all of the major indexes. So not a whole lot. But as the attacks escalate there between Israel and Iran will certainly be keeping a close eye on the markets. And Jerry will weigh in on all of that straight ahead before we head to the phones today. We're always interested in what's happening in the news. And as you might expect, that's the headline in the news related to the sell off there. We did see a spike in oil prices, about 7% as a result of of what's happening. Largely the oil fields in Iran have been spared. They have not been going after those. Obviously, if they did, that could cause further increases. But we'll certainly keep an eye on all of that. All right, let's head to the phones. We do have calls coming in, but we've got some lines open so you can call right now with your questions 800 525 7000. We're going to begin in Chicago today. Hi, Bernie. Go ahead.
S4: Oh hey lovely a lovely show. Um, yeah. My question is I have a two flat apartment building I'm going to sell for 650. I have one that I'm interested in buying for 640, but I'm wondering what else would I have to pay other than the purchase price? Like to buy and sell at the same time? What am I looking at as far as like, taxes or anything?
S1: Sure. Uh, are you doing a 1031 exchange on this, Bernie, were you push any capital gains forward to the second property?
S4: Uh, I didn't know about that. Yeah, I didn't even see.
S1: Yeah, that's probably something to think about, because when you sell a property, if it's Appreciated. And this is not your primary residence. This is an investment property. You have the ability to push that forward through what's called a 1031 exchange. You'd need to meet the IRS rules and deadlines. You have to identify it in a certain period of time, and then you have to close on it within 180 days of the sale of the other property. But if it's a similar type of property, you would essentially be able to take any capital gains that you owe where you've had an increase in the first property, which would normally be subject to capital gains, because it's not your primary residence, and you can essentially roll that over into the next property, you will have to pay it at some point. But the nice thing is it gives you more of your capital to move into that next property, because it's a similar type of property. So that would be something to look into. On the selling side. I mean, you'd have the, uh, the real estate fees and the commissions, usually 5 to 6%, uh, closing costs. You're going to have escrow fees, transfer taxes, recording fees, any mortgage payoff fees, although those aren't very common. And then when you're buying, you've got any loan origination, usually 1 to 2% of the new loan amount. Appraisals and inspections. Title insurance and legal fees. Any environmental or zoning reviews which are sometimes required for older buildings and then escrow reserves. So those would be, you know, the general kind of list on the selling and the purchase side. I think the key for you is to, you know, perhaps look into that 1031 so you could get more of your capital rolled into that next property without having to pay any taxes.
S4: Oh, I see. Because the property was left to my brother and myself from my mom, and there's no mortgage on it. Um.
S1: Got it. Okay. Yeah. So there's probably not any capital gains there to speak of then, because, uh, did she pass away recently?
S4: Uh, it's been 15 years now.
S1: Okay, so you've held it since she passed?
S4: Yeah, we've been living there, my brother and I. We lived there our whole life, and we just, you know, stayed in the property. He lives upstairs, I live downstairs.
S1: Ah, okay. Yeah. So this is your primary residence, and then, uh, so on the sale, you would your CPA, you should be able to take each on your own portion. Uh, you know, the equivalent of of your own, uh, exclusion there. Because when you sell your, your primary residence, as long as you've lived there, two out of the last five years, you'd have between 250 and 500,000, depending on whether you file single or married filing jointly of gain that you could exclude from any capital gains taxes. Um, and so it could be that you don't have any capital gains. And therefore the 1031 is is unnecessary.
S4: Okay. And it says usually one and 2% is what the real estate takes for selling and buying.
S5: Is that usually.
S1: No, usually 5 to 6%. Um, for the real estate commissions. And the question would just be whether, you know, you pay, uh, all of it, uh, as the seller or whether the buyer's agent pays a portion of it. Uh, but usually that all in fee is 5 to 6%, um, you know, for the sale. And then when you're buying, uh, if you're not using a mortgage, then you wouldn't have that, but you'd have, uh, you know, the appraisal and inspection, the title insurance and and legal and then any escrow reserves.
S4: Oh I see. And then is that closing costs? Is that is that what that would be?
S1: Yes, sir. Uh, yeah. So if you don't, uh, those would all be a part of the closing costs. The only additional thing you would have is if you didn't have enough equity to roll in to your next purchase, and you had to take out a mortgage, then you'd have the the loan origination fee. But that's generally, you know, the list of, uh, of expenses that are related to closing costs. So hopefully that helps. All the best to you in this, this sale and eventual purchase of your next property. We appreciate your call today and thanks for your kind remarks about the program. Call anytime. We're going to take a quick break when we come back alleys in Mississippi. We do have lines open though. If you have a question, go ahead and call right now. Anything financial 800 525 7000. This is faith in finance. Live. We'll be right back. Great to have you with us today on Faith and finance live. I'm Rob West taking your calls and questions today. If you have a question, something going on in your financial life, go right now 800 525 7000. That's the number to call 800 525 7000. Let's head to Mississippi. Hi, Ali. Go ahead.
S6: Hi. Thank you for taking my call. Sure I am. Um, well, I was a teacher, and so I just felt like the Lord was leading me to, um. Stop. And so I have some money in the, like, in the retirement fund, but I was really. And he's leading me to go to seminary. So I was, um, really praying about this and really struggling about what to do. Should I just leave the money in there, or should I take it out and just pay off my debt like there's I only have like 35,000 in there because I took some out to help my mom to take care of my mom, and she's passed away now. So I have 35 left in there and my debt is about 20,000. So I was just wondering, um, should I just leave it in there or take it out and pay off the debt and for school?
S1: Yeah. So a couple of questions. Um, what type of debt do you have?
S6: Um, my car. I have car and then some credit cards because I did a lot of my medical stuff onto my credit cards.
S1: Got it. What are the ballots? What? Do you own the car. And then what's the total on the credit cards?
S6: Um, the credit cards right now are about 11,000. And then my car. I've almost paid it off. It's like 5000 left. For about four. 4200 left.
S1: Okay. About 4000 on the car. All right. And you said you have about 35,000 in a retirement. Do you have any liquid savings?
S6: I do not. I do not.
S1: Okay. All right. And what is going to be your source of income in retirement?
S6: Um, well, I'm going to have to find a new job. Um, so I haven't really, uh, found a job yet, so, um, that's my next thing that I need to. That I'm going to do.
S1: Okay. Very good. And what did you say about seminary? What were you thinking there?
S6: Um, the counseling program.
S1: Okay. All right. And what would the cost be on that?
S6: Um, it's going to be about 20,000 because I got some scholarships. Yeah.
S1: Okay. And how would you pay for that?
S6: Um, I got scholarships and then, um, just the. They put you on a payment plan.
S1: Okay. Yeah. Well, certainly I love the idea of going to seminary. I think I would probably and certainly this is between you and the Lord. So ultimately, you need to make this call. I would be just careful about getting, you know, moving too quickly without putting a more solid financial foundation under you. I would be hesitant, you know, for you to go into seminary. Just kind of what I'm based on what I'm hearing about your financial situation at this point. Uh, because, you know, right now we need to get out from under that credit card debt, but you're about to be in a position where you don't have any income. Now, obviously, you can go look for another job, and that's great. And I'm delighted to hear that. That's what you're thinking. That would be obviously a lot on top of seminary, the fact that you have no savings in the 11,000, in credit card debt with only 35,000 in retirement, and that's going to be costly money. So you're not going to have the 10% penalty to pull any portion of that 35,000 out. But it is all going to be taxable to you. So, you know, say you're in the 22% bracket, uh, you know, that 35,000, you're going to have $7,700 of that if you pull the whole thing out, you know, just in federal taxes that you would owe. So, uh, you know, I'd much rather you leave that there. You quickly try to find another job. Live modestly so we can focus on getting $1,000 in savings. And once you have 1000 in savings, let's take every available dollar and go after those credit cards. In fact, I'd reach out to our friends at Christian Credit Counselors. Let's let them help you get those interest rates down. And now, you know, by you getting another job, living modestly, really just, you know, living on the bare minimum to the best that you can hopefully, you know, a year from now, maybe a couple of years from now, all of a sudden the credit card debt is gone. We get that emergency fund up to 3 to 6 months expenses. And now, you know, we're in a much different position. The only other thing that you know, just causes me some concern is just that there's not anything else to speak of there in the way of assets. And so if you do get to a point where you're unable to work, you know, we don't really have anything to fall back on. Now, at some point I'm assuming you'll have Social Security. Um, and, you know, you could live on that. Um, and so I certainly understand that, but I think at least at this point, I don't feel great about you adding another $20,000 in expenses, on top of the fact that the the job situation is questionable right now. We've got this, you know, pretty significant credit card debt, which is probably at 2,022% interest and then no savings to speak of without a whole lot in the way of retirement assets. So I think if it were me again, you need to pray through this and make this call. I'd say, all right, I'm going to wait probably a couple of years on even considering seminary. Let me get the credit cards into a credit counseling program, let me get that next job, and let me focus on trying to slowly build up that emergency fund while I'm paying off the credit cards. And then once all that's taken care of, now we're starting to look to what God has next for you. Does that make sense, though?
S6: It does. It does. Yes. Thank you so much.
S1: Yeah. You're welcome. Ali, listen, I'm excited about what God has for you in this next season. I think we just got to, you know, follow the steps and and just be really thoughtful and prayerful about considering kind of the timing of all of this as you're working hard to try to get a more solid financial foundation under you. God is your provider. I'm confident he will. But I think we need to use the finances as part of evidence of God's leading, and I don't think he would lead you to do anything that's going to require you to take on more debt. Um, you know, certainly not impoverish yourself, uh, as a result of it. So thanks for calling today. If we can assist you further, don't hesitate to reach out. Let's go to Illinois. Hi, Rose. Go ahead.
S7: Hey, Rob.
S8: Thanks for taking my call. I've got a medicaid question, so I've got a family member that has a fatal disease, and she's. At this point, um, needs more care. Than what? What we can give her. She's living with a with my sister in law right now. She has. No. We were thinking maybe we could put her or get her into Medicaid, if possible. Um, who would be responsible for that bill?
S1: Hmm. Well, what would generally happen is, you know, if you, uh, went to a medicaid approved facility, um, you would not be responsible for it. So unless you were to, you know, take on financial responsibility. If Medicaid is not approved, the family is generally not legally responsible for the bill unless they've signed something agreeing to be. So here's how it would work. Typically, you know, medical debt stays with the individual, not the family. Spouses in some states may be responsible under spousal responsibility laws, but if no assets exist, the provider would then, you know, write off the debt. Um, they would try to recoup from the estate of the person Medicaid would if they pay out. But if there's no assets there, then there's nothing for them to collect on. But, you know, I would think that the key here for you all, as you pursue some of these Medicaid approved facilities would be just be careful that you don't, you know, take financial responsibility, uh, unless you tend to take unless you intend to take on that liability. So you just really want to be careful about those forms that you're signing when you, you know, move her into that facility. Does that make sense?
S8: Okay. It does. Thank you. Thanks for your help.
S1: Yeah, you're very welcome. Thanks, Rose. Well, we're going to take another break here when we come back. Jerry Boyer stops by and we'll get his take on the markets. The markets selling off today as a result of, uh, what's going on between Israel and Iran? Late this afternoon, it's, uh, it's escalating market closing down about 700 points on the Dow Jones, uh, off 1% on the Nasdaq. About the same for the S&P 500. Uh, Jerry will weigh in on that. We'll get an update on corporate engagement as well. Some of his work there. Peggy's waiting patiently in Illinois as well. We'll get to her call. This is faith in finance. Live. We'll be right back. Thanks for joining us today on Faith in finance live. I'm Rob West. We'll head back to the phones here in just a moment. But first here in the final segment today on a Friday. Jerry Boyer is with us. Jerry is our resident economist. He's the president of Boyer Research, very active, leading the charge in many ways across the country in the area of corporate engagement. We'll get an update on that. But first, Jerry, the market selling off today, although, you know, fairly modestly. I mean the Dow Jones off about 2%. The other broad market index is down closer to 1% off today. All of that, I assume as a result of what's going on between Iran and Israel. Huh.
S9: Yeah, I think that's the major driver, obviously. But what's interesting is how little they're off, right? I mean, this is a war. This is a middle eastern war. Um, you know, and I listened to a lot of financial news, um, you know, on podcasts. I mean, I watch it, but mostly I mow the lawn and listen to the financial channels. Um, and, um, you know, I hear a lot of markets are down 700 points. Oh, wait 1%. Okay. I mean, that's kind of a normal day, isn't it? Um, you know, that's that's a day where the fed chairman, you know, you know, kind of frowns a little bit. Um, you know, when he's walking into the office and they think maybe they're going to, you know, maybe they're going to hike rates. I mean, that's this is within normal. Um, and I think that reflects the fact that, um, I don't think markets think there's a whole lot of uncertainty here. Israel has tremendous technological advantage. Uh, Israel also has us, you know, as a very close ally. Uh, the president kept his distance a little bit, but after it worked, he he kind of came back in and said, oh, yes. Uh, you know, um, I knew about this for a long time. Uh, so maybe he was playing 17 chess. I've heard some podcasters suggest that, well, he did that so that the Iranian generals would feel safe so that they wouldn't leave headquarters. Okay, whatever. Um. Who knows? Um, but the bottom line is, okay, so you look at the shekel, right? That's the currency in Israel. Yeah. You know, before this, uh, a shekel would buy you about 28.5 cents. Um, now, after this, the shekel buys you $0.28. In other words, 0.5. The shekels down 0.5. Okay. Um, so markets are not registering a lot of risk. They don't think Israel's going to lose. They don't think there's going to be a regional major war. They don't think this is going to be much disruption to the global economy. And I think they're probably right about that. Um, you know, so you see gold's up, but not a whole lot. The dollar is up. That's unusual when usually when gold's up, that means the dollar is down because basically it's like, oh, we're being inflationary. So you want to get out of the dollar into something hard like gold. When when people are buying gold and they're also buying the dollar. That's more like Haven. That's. Mhm. Things are a little uncertain. Why don't I put a little gold. And the dollar is still the reserve currency of the world. Sort of. Um so I think the markets are registering, um, you know, a kind of a normal conflict where we think we know the, the output, uh, or, excuse me, the outcome of that. Um, the other thing that happened today was there was a pretty strong consumer sentiment survey that came out, um, and I mean, actually a lot stronger than people would have expected. Um, so I think that probably the wider market's down because, remember, the world's upside down. If consumers are happy, the Fed's not going to cut rates and the Fed's not going to cut rates, then it's not going to bail out the market. Um, but that's not really the major driver. I would say in general when you're talking about the economy, you had people who said trade wars are great. This is going to be the golden age. Uh, but markets reacted as though it's not going to be so great. You other had other people who said Trump doesn't have any idea what he's doing. Um, he's completely clueless. This is terrible. It's going to collapse the global economy. Um, and the market is acting like the trade war was a not very good, you know, kind of a general bad idea. Um, but not destroying the economy. Um, and the economic data that's been coming out is generally, you know, um, unemployment claims are up a fair amount, but not a lot. Um, economic growth statistics are down a little bit, but not a lot in my opinion. The trade war was bad for the economy, but it mostly ended very quickly. And so its effects will not not be very large. Um, and I think that that's why markets are, you know, still pretty high even after, you know, the uncertainty trade with this war.
S1: Yeah. Uh, Gerry, circling back for a moment to Iran and Israel, you made a comment this morning that, you know, removing this threat of Iran having nuclear weapons is probably in terms of risk. That's a much more risky scenario. The Iran having nuclear weapons than what we're experiencing right now. So long term, this actually brings more stability to the region potentially. Huh.
S9: I think that's right. So why are markets down at all? I think because you just never know when there's a war there. As Queen Elizabeth said, wars have uncertain outcomes. Uh, so, you know, some crazy guy shoots Archduke the, you know, the son of or was it nephew or whatever of Archduke Archduke Ferdinand? Uh, you know, a century ago and. Oh, that's nothing. Oh, no, no, that's World War one, right? So sometimes things get out of control and I think markets are accounting for the, you know, the maybe the possibility that things will get out of control. But let's run let's run a counterfactual. Let's say that this week, instead of the news saying Israel hit, um, Iranian nuclear facilities instead, they said Iran has just successfully tested a nuclear bomb. Yeah. How would markets be reacting to that versus Israel. They wouldn't be down 700. They'd be down 7000. Right? Right. Oil wouldn't be up 13%. Oil would be double or triple up. So in so in general I'm going to say um, again, wars can have uncertain outcomes. But this looks like in the long run a risk reducer. Um, and I think I think the short term market reaction is going to, you know, ride this out. Um, it's a little bit like October 7th. The markets reacted as though Israel's going to win. And they have I mean, they've defeated Hamas. Um, and I think markets are reacting as though Israel is going to win this one as well. And I think they're right about that.
S1: That's helpful. Jerry, we've got about a minute left. Um, I'd love for you to hear on the tail end of earnings season. I know you and your team have been busy. Give us just a quick report on what you've been working on.
S9: Well, we're talking to companies constantly. Uh, Israel is one of the issues, by the way. So there was an example, uh, a company called Airbnb did something really odd a few years ago. They said, you can book, you can book a house someplace, but you can't book one in the West Bank. Well, why? Well, because we do not building islands which are stolen from other people. Now, I don't know. I mean, I've read the book of Genesis. You know, I think Israel has a pretty long standing claim to that bit of property. Um, and, you know, even if even if that's not your authority. Okay, fine. The United Nations gave them control in 1948. Uh, and they're recognized by all, almost all the nations of the world. So I think it's legit. I think they lived there. Um, and so people built houses with their own hands on the West Bank, and some of them want to run them out to people who want to come visit the Holy Land. And Airbnb said, oh, no, no, you know, that's profiting off this, this stealing of land, while at the same time they were advertising that you can go rent houses in Cuba when people literally were kicked out of their houses by the communist government at gunpoint. But those are okay. Well, that bad, bad, bad optics. Uh, so we helped the Heritage Foundation bring a proposal about that. Interestingly, um, Airbnb put out their, um, their proxy statement, and it wasn't there. And we said, well, you know, why not? And they said, we never got it. And we said, well, wait a minute, we have a receipt from Fedex. Um, and we and we gave them the name, we said, is that a name that's familiar to you? Oh, yeah. That's the head of our mailroom. That's the head of your mailroom. We've got a signature from Fedex. Okay. Uh, you're saying you never got it? I mean, don't you mean that you got it on the first floor, but it never made it to the 10th floor. And isn't that your problem? Rather than the shareholders problem? Who have a right to, you know, to hold you accountable and. Oh, by the way, um, the Connecticut pension plan, a blue state pension plan. You got their mail and you have a proposal from them on the ballot. Then it turned out that there was a proposal from another conservative group, and they lost that one, too, or whatever. Signed for by the same person. Uh, doesn't look so good. Um, the dog ate my homework is not really going to work. So Heritage Foundation is litigating against them on that. And I think that's going to be a very important case that corporations can't say, yeah, all shareholders are equal, but some shareholders are more equal than others. If you're losing all the stuff from conservative groups but you're not from liberal groups, um, that's pretty fishy. And you've got some explaining to do. And also, do they really they really want to have be having a conversation about why they tried to boycott Israel now. I mean, how does that look? Um, so, uh, you know, another real quick one. Lululemon is one we engage with a lot this week. Lululemon is a retailer. They gave a bunch of money to organizations that basically made comments in favor of looting and in favor of defunding the police. Uh, so we're just saying to them, how can that be good for a retailer to say we're giving your shareholder money to groups that are endorsing looting, like BLM, also endorsing Hamas? And by the way, how does that look now when large parts of Los Angeles are burning? How much shareholder money of many corporations has funded the groups that are now burning down neighborhoods in Los Angeles? And don't their rights count to the people whose stores are being burned down? Is it all about supporting protesters and activists? Don't ordinary middle class people who deserve to not have their houses burned down, or be able to not have giant rocks dropped on their cars when they're driving on the interstate? Don't don't they have any rights as well? So that's a conversation that we're having with Lululemon. There was a press conference. There was a proposal, a speech given at the board. Uh, now, they did drop funding for those groups. And we're saying, okay, that's great. Now, can we talk about never making mistakes like that again? Um, you know, about not being gullible in the future. So those are kind of I'd say those are the big highlights of the past week.
S1: Yeah, interesting. And that was just the last week. Jerry, I always appreciate your time. Thanks for joining us, my friend. Yeah. Sounds like it. Happy Father's Day, Jerry.
S9: And to you, happy Father's Day to you. God bless.
S1: All right. And you as well. That's Jerry Bowyer. He's our resident economist. He joins us each Friday with his market commentary and economic update. Peggy in Illinois, stay right there. I know you've been waiting patiently as soon as the program is over, I'd love to jump on the phone with you and see how I can help you. I apologize we didn't get you on the air today. Well, folks, that's going to do it for us today. Hey, if you love the program and you listen regularly, you've been able to apply something you've heard or you've just generally been encouraged in your role as a steward and you'd like to support our work. We'd love for you to become a partner. Looking for about 48 more partners before the end of June? Two weeks partners support us at $35 a month or more. We send you four issues of Faithful Steward and all of our studies and devotionals and pro access to our Faith fi app. Just go to faith.com and click give. Big thanks to Amy, Lisa, Jim, Amanda and Faith and Finance lives a partnership between Moody Radio and Faith fi. We will see you next time.