S1: This is Bold Steps with Mark Jobe. I'm Wayne Shepherd, and today we're celebrating Good Friday with a powerful message about identity. And Mark, this is such a significant day in the Christian calendar. You're going to be sharing about what the cross means for our identity.
S2: Yeah that's right. This is a huge topic, Wayne. Especially identity, because so many people struggle across the board with understanding who they are that affects what they do. It affects how they relate to people. It affects their calling. Yes. And it all changed on Good Friday when Jesus the Christ died on that cross and gave us a ability to have a new identity in God.
S1: I'm so excited about this message to come here on bold steps today. The life changing truth about the Cross on Good Friday. Here on Bold Steps. Once again, welcome to this special Good Friday edition of Bold Steps with Mark Jobe. Mark is a senior pastor of New Life Community Church and president of Moody Bible Institute in Chicago. Mark, as we reflect on their crucifixion today, many people understand that Jesus died for our sins, but sometimes we miss the implications of what that means for our identity. So let's elaborate on that transformation.
S2: Yeah, Wayne. The death of Jesus Christ is not just about sin. That's a big component, but it is about when our sin is removed, who we become. And the power of the cross of Jesus Christ is exemplified. When Jesus died and the veil of the temple that separated the Holy of Holies from just the regular worshiper was torn in two from the top down.
S1: That's one of my favorite points of what happened that day. I love that story.
S2: Probably people on the outside didn't realize, but God wanted to give a physical manifestation of what was happening there. He didn't have to tear the the temple veil, but for for decades and decades, man had been separated from the Holy of Holies. But when Jesus died, he tore it, symbolizing that now we have access to the Holy of Holies. In other words, our identity has changed because now we have been cleansed, and we are sons and daughters of the Most High God. And as sons and daughters of the Most High God that have been cleansed, washed and redeemed, we have access to the very holiest place in the universe. And that's the presence of God.
S1: What a moment, huh? What a moment, I love that.
S2: Yeah, and you know what I've discovered, Wayne, is that a lot of people, well, even though they may know the basics of salvation, they really still struggle with identity. How does God see them? Him. And even when we say God the Father, so many people have had bad experiences with their father. Absent fathers, critical, demeaning, abandoned fathers. When we say father, it doesn't conjure up this loving image of an affirming person in their life. Oftentimes it conjures up negative images.
S1: I know it does.
S2: I was at a women's retreat speaking about the father daughter factor, and I had a young girl come and stand in front of a mirror. She was about college age and I said, tell me, when you look at that mirror, how you see yourself. And she just started looking at that mirror. She stared at that mirror and started just saying, unworthy, ugly, no purpose, no call. As she looked at herself and described herself, she started to weep, just weeping. When she was done, I paused and I said, and now I want you to look at that mirror, and I want you to hear what God says about you. Daughter of the Most High God, clean, made in the image of God breathed in by His Holy Spirit. A woman of destiny, purpose and identity in God. Someone that God wants to spend eternity with. And she wept again. But this time it was tears of. Yeah, that's how the father sees.
S1: That's so powerful.
S2: Yeah, it was a really powerful moment. And I believe there's a lot of people that struggle with those same issues. Now, by the way, I love the story of the angel of the Lord, which is God himself appearing to Gideon in Judges chapter six, because I think it's such a powerful image. He appears to Gideon, and he's ready to call Gideon to do something extraordinary. And the Bible says, and the angel of the Lord appeared to Gideon and said, the Lord is with you, mighty warrior. Now Gideon at the time was Scared young. Hiding from the Midianites. Defeated. And it's just strange that God calls someone a mighty warrior who's never, ever fought a battle. And Gideon protests and he said, hey, Lord, I don't know if you got this right, but I'm of the lowest. I'm small. I'm of the smallest tribe. I'm defeated. But I want you to know that God saw in Gideon not who he was, but who God had called him to be and who he was becoming. So, through the cross of Jesus Christ, God has called you to be a son or daughter of the Most High God. Sin has been defeated. The accuser has been brought to his knees. You have been given a new identity. You've been sealed with the Holy Spirit unto the day of redemption. Your name is new. Your identity is new. Your purpose is new. And that's all through the cross of Jesus Christ. In fact, the Apostle Paul tells us in Galatians chapter two, I am crucified with Christ. I no longer live. Now I live a new person in God. The person I live now is a new person. It's a new identity, the new man, the new woman. And that's what Good Friday is all about.
S1: If any man is in Christ, he's a new creature, a new creation, huh?
S2: The old is gone and the new has come.
S1: Mark, thanks for bringing up Gideon and that story of identity. I'm just wondering, in your own life, has this ever been an issue for you, perhaps when you were a new believer?
S2: Yeah, absolutely. I think that, you know, I had a very strong, affirming father and so and mother that really loved the Lord. And so I counted a huge blessing that he spoke into my life. But I remember, like any teenager, young college student trying to figure out where I fit in, who am I.
S1: As we all do, right?
S2: Yeah, it's a very there's periods of our life where we're establishing our identity. I remember one particular time where I had just started pastoring. I was 21 years old. I was a little bit frustrated. I was trying to step into this role with very little experience. I remember sitting down at the table with my father and saying, I don't know if I'm cut out to be a pastor, dad. I said, I don't know. This is not coming easy, natural to me, and maybe I should just hand this over to someone else. I think my father sensed at that time. He sensed that this was a bit of a defining moment I'll never forget. He looked at me in my discouragement and he said, you know, Mark, you are a man of God. You have a heart for God, a sensitivity to the Lord. He said, I would in a moment love to place myself under you as my pastor. I would trust you to follow God. I would listen to your words. I have seen how God has used you and spoken through you. You're young, but there's a call on your life.
S1: You talk about affirmation. You're incredible.
S2: I needed that. That was a moment that I needed to know my identity, because there's a lot of self-doubt that comes in. And, you know, I want to encourage you, if you're a father here listening to me today, never underestimate the power of your words to help shape the identity of your sons and daughters at crucial times of their life, especially when they're young, but not exclusively when they're young. Sometimes they enter into parenthood and aren't sure they're going to be a good parent, or sometimes they're going into marriage and they're not sure they're going to survive. And so never underestimate the power of the words of a father. And I love, by the way, what the father tells us. The apostle tells us, listen. See what great love the father has lavished on us that we should be called children of God, and that is what we are. The love of God has been lavished on us so that we are called children of God. He just reaffirms it. He says, and that is what we are. Not what we're trying to become. But that's who we are.
S1: Beautiful. Mark, thank you for this teaching, which will continue today here on Bold Steps with Mark Jobe. We'll have more on this Good Friday about our identity as sons and daughters of Christ in a moment. This message continues in just a moment. You're listening to Mark Jobe on Bold Steps. We hope you'll take some time to check out the various resources, even opportunities we have available on our website at Bold Steps, including this month's new selection of our Bold Step gift. And Mark is going to tell us more about it.
S2: You know, recent studies have shown that nearly half of all adults report not having a meaningful conversation in their daily lives. Uh, that's pretty startling, I guess. But it's one of those things that motivated our guest today to write her book, doctor Heather Holloman. In the six conversations, you talk about four mindsets that are essential for meaningful conversations. Can you walk us through those four mindsets?
S3: Yes, and thank you for having me on this program. In order to have a warm connection with someone, you need to be curious, believe the best about them, express concern, and share your life. They seem really simple, but most people are deficient in one of those categories.
S2: That is good. Yeah, so this is some of the elements needed to have a meaningful conversation, which in your book, obviously you talk about how conversation is the bridge way to really communicate our faith.
S3: That's right. And I got really excited about the power of having a warm connection. Once you know how to deeply connect with someone, evangelism is never going to feel like a sales pitch or an awkward pivot in the conversation. Good point. So I was really delighted to read the social science research, and also how Scripture has always really supports all of that. We've learned this is ancient wisdom literature.
S2: I love it, Heather, because so many people, when they think about evangelism, they think of a sales pitch or I have to do a mini lecture, and most people it intimidates. But to have a healthy conversation that naturally goes to those important places of spirituality, I think, lowers the barrier of fear and allows us to more naturally engage. Thank you, Heather, for writing this book. This, I think, is going to be a great resource for people that are seeking to bridge the gap of meaningful conversations with their loved ones.
S3: Thank you.
S1: Well, to give and request your copy of this special Bold Step gift, just visit Bold steps.org or give us a call at 800 D.L. Moody. That's (800) 356-6639 or give online as always at Bold steps.org, and you can also request your copy of the six conversations and give your gift of any amount by writing to us. Just address your envelope to bold steps. 820 North LaSalle Boulevard, Chicago, Illinois 606 ten. This is a special edition of Bold Steps. I'm Wayne Shepherd with Mark Jobe. We're talking about the Cross of Christ here on Good Friday, and we're talking about it in the context of what it teaches us about our identity in Christ. And, Mark, I want our listeners to hear a clip from a message you gave recently on this topic of identity in Christ. Let's listen.
S4: Who we are and how we see ourselves determines how we behave and how we make our decisions. These labels are not always visible that we walk around with, but they invisibly affect our identity and who we are and how we live. If if I'm living with the identity of rejection, then when we say hi to someone, we immediately start thinking, what do they think about me? Are they accepting me? Rejecting me? Do they like me? Do they not like me? Immediately I start thinking that way. Why? Because I'm living with the identity of rejection. When God comes to our life. And this is why it's so important, and God starts to speak into our destiny. Peter is saying, I want you to know who you are, because until you know who you are, you will not know how to live. And so instead of rejected, he says, you know, no, you're chosen. You are a chosen generation. And he says, instead of broken, no, no, no, you are a royal priesthood because you belong to me. And you know what? Instead of failure, he says, no, you've been set apart for God's purposes, and he's got a purpose for you. And instead of unwanted, he says, no, you are my possession. You belong to me. And God is covering your bad identity with clothed with a new identity in Jesus Christ. And whatever may have been a part of your past is no longer what determines your future. He's given you a new identity. Oh, you may not feel like you are wanted yet, but as you start washing your mind in who God has made you and what he's said about you, one day you will wake up and you will feel like, hey, I belong to God. God wants me, I belong to him, and you start living that way. Some of you feel like you're a failure and you could never be used of God. But God says no, you are a royal priesthood. I've called you. You can be used. It takes a while for our new identity. See.
S1: Mark, let's talk about how we actually live in this new identity. What does it mean practically to our daily life?
S2: You know, identity, it's a little bit elusive, but it's so crucial because it really does affect everything about our life. I remember preaching, I, I'm not sure if it was this message or another one on identity, but I got a volunteer from the audience and I started writing labels and just pasting labels on the man that was a volunteer. Rejected. Worthless. No purpose. Abandon. He stood up there with labels all over him. Negative labels. And then I said, but you know, God is a a label remover. And as I started taking those labels off of him one by one and just speaking into his life. He just started to weep. Wow. Uh, because we all walk around with labels. Sometimes those labels are put on us early on in life. We don't choose the labels that are put on. If you're growing up in a household that's critical and you've been labeled, you're going to be a failure. You're just like your father. You're just you start to wear that label. It gets stuck into your identity.
S1: Yeah, I just had a conversation with someone who was an illegitimate child. And that's a bad word, isn't it? But, you know, and I brought up the fact that we are now adopted by God into his family.
S2: What the gospel does is it starts to strip those labels of condemned, unwanted, rejected. And if you start reading scripture, you have to renew your mind because our spirit is saved immediately, but our mind is renewed gradually. And so even though we are a Son of God, it doesn't mean we always feel like a Son of God, Even though we are forgiven, it doesn't mean that we walk like we're forgiven. Even though we are people of destiny. It doesn't mean that we fully understand that we're people of destiny. And I love what Romans chapter three, verse 38 and 39 says, I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, is able to separate us from the love of God.
S1: That's a pretty exhaustive list, isn't it?
S2: Yeah. I think what what Paul was trying to tell them is there is absolutely nothing on heaven and on earth or under the earth that can detach you from this compelling, powerful love that God has for you. And that changes our identity. And when our identity changes, we talk different. We behave different. We live different. We see the world in a different way.
S1: Yeah, well, this message goes hand in hand with a resource we'd like to put into our listeners hands called Discovering Who You Are in Christ. Uh, this is a very important resource that you've put together with your own pen, Mark.
S2: Yeah. Called More Than a Label. Discovering who you are in Christ. And these are thoughts from various messages that I've taught on in a bit of a devotional fashion on different messages that I've given dealing with the topic of identity. If you're struggling right now trying to figure out, hey, who am I really in God? If you're struggling with identity issues, it may take a while for you just to saturate your mind in some truth about who you are, and this would be a great place to start 15 days. Saturate in your mind in who you are in God, how God sees you, what your position is in Christ, your new labels that God has put on you, sons and daughters of the Most High God and taken other labels off. This is a resource, I think, that will help some of you just get started in the right direction.
S1: We've never offered this before.
S2: This is brand.
S1: New, brand new.
S2: Brand.
S1: New. And you're asking us to set aside 15 days. That seems that seems doable to me, right?
S2: Absolutely. And it's well packaged with some questions after each devotional thought, asking you some questions so you can think through it, pray through it, and just get you in the right mindset.
S1: And after you've been through it, maybe you want to lead your family through it or a small group Bible study. It can be used in that way as well.
S2: Absolutely. There's no more important thing for believers than to embrace their new identity in Christ, rooted in what Jesus Christ has done for us.
S1: Well, just go to npr.org. Click on the resources tab there in the website. And again, the devotional is titled More Than a Label Discovering Who You Are in Christ. It's a great resource from Bold Steps, and I really urge you to get a copy. Go through these 15 days yourself of devotions and see what God reveals to you. I think it might surprise you the things that you'll discover.
S2: I believe so let God start ripping those labels off of your life one at a time, and placing his identity on you even today.
S1: By the way, I want to mention, as we talk about our resources here on bold steps, that we couldn't do this without our bold partners involvement. Mark, we're so grateful for listeners who step up with monthly support for this ministry.
S2: Yes, so, so very grateful for those that have committed to monthly giving and those that just give a one time gift. As Wayne said, we couldn't do it without them. I'm just reading a comment from one of the listeners here.
S1: Yeah, this came from a podcast listener. Do you want to share it with us?
S2: Yeah. It's encouraging. They said there's never been an episode that has not had me completely engaged and motivated. I relate to all of them. Every word spoken with conviction pours into my heart, faith and soul. A must if you simply need a good podcast not only about Christianity and the word, but hope restored. Love, fear, doubt, anxiety, real day to day struggles. Thank you for being such a part of my everyday life and I love that.
S1: That's wonderful.
S2: Thank you. Yes. And so thank you for your encouragement. We don't have time to tell you all of the stories and testimonies that come in, but you are partners in making that happen.
S1: Yeah. And by the way, we would like to hear from you. And you can leave your comment at bold steps.org. You know, through your faithful monthly partnership, you'll be investing directly in spreading the life changing message of Christ, extending your personal ministry, reach far beyond your community, and touch lives across the nation through bold steps. So and as a thank you for your commitment. When your monthly gift is $30 or more, you'll receive exclusive benefits, including substantial discounts on the entire Moody Publishers online store. Think about that. Access to special bonus teachings from Mark, and additional resources to deepen your own spiritual growth. So join us in this mission today. Become a bold partner today at Bold Steps. Well, here on Good Friday, we're focusing on our identity in Christ, the way made for us by Christ through the cross. Mark, it's been a wonderful conversation. What would you say in conclusion today?
S2: Yes. So I want to say on Good Friday, listen, if you're a believer, do not waste this weekend. First of all, make sure that your heart is ready to celebrate. But secondly, there are so many people that do not go to church but have some sort of historical roots in Christianity and feel like I probably should go to church somewhere on Easter. They might as well go to a church that preaches the gospel. So they tell us that only 4% of Christians invite people to church, but 80% of non-believers would go if invited.
S1: And you see this happening as a pastor, don't.
S2: Oh, I see that all the time. In fact, usually before Easter, I say pull out your phones. Some of these phones that you see are a thorn in my flesh because they ring or people are distracted by them. Pull them out. Everybody have their phone now. Text a friend and invite them this Sunday to Easter. And I tell you what, I have so many stories of people that said it was an Easter Sunday. I came not as a believer, but I heard the gospel and that's where God got Ahold of me. So make sure that you invite them to hear the greatest, most powerful message in the world. And that is the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus the Christ.
S1: Well, this conversation today about identity has certainly, I'm sure, touched the lives of many who are listening, perhaps some who know they need Christ. And maybe we can close in prayer for them today.
S2: Yeah. So if you're struggling with your identity insecurities, uh, just the labels that have been slapped on you, I'd like to just pray over you now. It's going to be a process to strip those labels off you. But I want to start with a prayer. Father, I pray for that man right now that is just insecure in his manhood. That struggles with just viewing himself as a person of dignity, worth and value because of the words that were spoken into his life when he was young. I pray in Jesus name. Start ripping those labels off. I pray, father, for that woman right now that has really had a hard time keeping a good relationship because she goes from one relationship to another, allowing abuse sometimes, and, uh, abusive words because she doesn't know that she's a woman of worth, a value of dignity. I pray rip those labels off of her. I pray for that person right now that feels rejected by the world and by you, God. I pray in Jesus name. God, rip those labels of rejection off her, that she may experience your love in a strong, powerful, compelling way. And I pray God most of all, that those that don't know the love of Jesus, those that have never experienced the washing of their sins away, and that adoption into their family that this weekend, Easter weekend, will be the weekend that they finally surrender to you and become a adopted son or daughter of the Most High God. I pray this in Jesus name. Amen.
S1: Amen. Thank you, Mark, and Happy Easter to you and your family.
S2: And yours as well.
S1: And from all of us at Bold Steps, we wish you a meaningful Good Friday and a joyous Easter. Remember, because of the cross, you are a son or daughter of the Most High God. I'm Wayne Sheppard. We'll see you next time here on Bold Steps with Mark Joh. Bold steps is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.