S1: Hello friends. It's time for the second hour of Open Line with Doctor Michael Moody Radio's Bible Study Across America. We're talking about your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. My name is Michael Riedel. I'm the academic dean and a professor of Jewish studies and Bible at Moody Bible Institute. We're live today sitting around the radio kitchen table taking your questions. Now is the time to give me a call. The phone number is (877) 548-3675. That's (877) 548-3675. Remember, if you can't call or if you can't get through, just go to our website, Online radio.org and you'll click on the link that says Ask Michael a question and you can then go to a page where you can post your question and it'll come to us. Trish will put it in the mailbag. Uh, do you have a second cup of coffee? I hope so. I've got my second cup of coffee right here, and I hope you have your Bible open, because we're going to continue talking about the scriptures. We're going to start by talking to Angela in Plantation, Florida, listening on WRAL. Welcome to Open Line, Angela. How can I help you today?
S2: Thank you very much. Thank you very much, doctor Ray. I love your show. Oh. Thank you. I listen to Moody Radio over here at 89.3, and I. I love listening to your show as much as I can. I have a special love for Jewish people. And now that I.
S3: Well, you live in the right place.
S1: Angela, if you love Jewish people, don't you think you're surrounded?
S2: I do, yes, I do. And I had always loved Jewish people for some reason, I would probably find out one of these days I. I actually grew up in Colombia. I came to the United States when I was 18 and I grew up Catholic. But when I came to this country, I married, um, a Christian person. Um, and I, I already had confusion with Catholics and Christians, but, um, I really didn't follow. I didn't go to church or anything like that. Um, I divorced that gentleman. He died a few months ago. And, um, I'm also an alcoholic. I was I'm going to Alcoholics Anonymous. I'm working my program, and I realize I am I'm confused as to what church to go and how to go about finding a good church that teaches in the line of the teachings that I hear in Moody Radio and I give, um, I let people know about your program, especially, uh, and looking at my church, shopping for a church last week, um, I met a pastor that he is a messianic Jewish Jewish, but his mother is not believing in Jesus. So I even told him about your radio station. So maybe they are listening to you today.
S1: Maybe. Maybe. Well, let me see if I can help you a little bit. Angela. Uh, you know, the there's a lot of teaching out there. Uh, and so, first of all, what you need to do is find a church that agrees on the basics of the faith. Uh, which would be that, for example, that, uh, God is the creator, that the Lord Jesus is fully God, that God is 3 in 1 triune, that Jesus died for our sins, that Jesus rose again. Some of these are some of the essentials of the faith that Jesus is returning. Uh, those are key ideas. Now, there are secondary ideas. Like, for example, some people believe in infant baptism. I happen not to believe that. I don't think that should separate believers, but I would prefer to go to a church which has believer baptism rather than, uh, baby baptism. But the the difference here is a decision that's made between brothers and sisters who can all love the Lord and disagree about something, but that this is an area of it's a secondary teaching, but it's an area of my preference. And then there are other areas of preference. For example, uh, I would say that I believe that God has a plan for Israel, that he's faithful to his promises. There are many churches that believe, and they're good Bible teaching churches, but they believe that the promises that God made to Israel have been now taken over by the church. I don't feel comfortable with that. I think we have great promises as the body of Christ, but I think that God's going to be faithful to Israel and keep all his promises. So I guess what I would say is find those issues that are important to you, where a church that agrees on the essentials and then on the preferences, find a church that agrees with you. And the best way I could say that I could find a church is I look online, I look at their doctrinal position that's usually published. I look at their values. I might visit them. Sometimes churches will have sermons posted. I would listen to some of those and see about that. Then visit. Ask questions. If there's a person in leadership from that congregation to answer some of your questions. That's how I would go about finding a church. I always tell people, just find a church. Probably the simplest way is when you go. Make sure that during the sermon, the pastor opens the Bible and teaches from the Bible and not about politics, not about TV, not about culture, but teaches the Word of God and how it relates to our our life today. That's probably the best thing to look for. Okay, Angela.
S2: Perfect. Thank you. Doctor. Right there. I wish I could go with you to Israel. That is my.
S1: Oh, I wish you could, too.
S2: Before I die.
S1: Okay. I wish you could come, too. That's great. You know, my friend Charlie Dyer always says it's God's will for everyone to go to Israel. I don't know if that's true, but I think it's. It's a great opportunity when God gives it to us. I hope you get to come with us sometime. Angela, thanks for calling. Uh, we're going to speak with Yee Ping, uh, in Chicago, listening on WNBA. Welcome to Open Line. How can I help you?
S4: Hi. Good morning. Hi. Good morning. Uh, I, I have a question about the book of James. Uh, the New Testament book. Uh, our church currently study this book. I know in the history this book has some, uh, some different understanding. But I really treasure this book. So especially, you know, chapter two. Talk about, uh, faith after it is dead. So I want to, uh, to know what's your take on this book.
S1: Mhm. Well, I think it's a great book. It has more structure than a lot of people think. It's not just like a book of proverbs for the New Testament. Uh, I think it's a really important book because, uh, I don't know if you know this, but James in Greek is Jacobus. His real name is Jacob, and it was a book written to the 12 tribes in the dispersion. It's a messianic Jewish epistle, so it has a lot of relevance to Jewish people, uh, Jewish believers. Uh, it's interesting too, in chapter two where it says, if a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and dressed in clothes, uh, that you've I'm sure you've seen that, uh, dressed in the fine clothes and a poor man dressed in dirty clothes comes in the word that's translated in my Bible as meeting in Greek is synagogue. It's if anyone comes into your synagogue. So remember, these are Messianic Jews. They were still they were calling their congregation a gathering place, a synagogue. I think that's interesting. Uh, so, yeah, I love the book. But of course, the great issue is, does James or Jacob disagree with Paul when it comes to justification by faith, uh, it says in uh, uh, James 214, what good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can his faith save him? Uh, and now it sounds like he's saying that you can't. You have to have faith. Plus works. That's not what he's saying. Uh, he is saying, uh, can that kind of faith save him? Can a faith that doesn't produce works in his life that doesn't result in fruit? Can that kind of faith save him? He goes on to say in verse 19, this is the kind of faith he's talking about that can't save a person. You believe that God is one. You do well. The demons also believe and they shudder. It's not enough to acknowledge who God is, we have to commit. That's what our faith is. It needs. It needs not just mental assent, but heart conviction and a volitional commitment. Uh, so mental assent. We have to know the truth. The demons know it. That's not enough. But not only that. Uh, not only that, we have to have a conviction of the truth of it. That's the heart, mind, heart. And then will volition. We have to commit to it. We have to follow it. And so that's the kind of faith that produces works. And that's the kind of faith that saves us. So it's not saying faith plus works save us. It's faith that produces works that will save us. Does that help?
S4: Oh, one more request. Uh, doctor, when you read an Old Testament commentary, right?
S1: I wrote I wrote commentaries on the Old Testament, but I edited the Moody Bible Commentary with Mike Van Laningham. We were co-editors.
S4: Oh, I can get that book.
S1: Good. You've got that book.
S4: Know how I can get that book?
S1: How about I send you one? Ye, uh, will I send you one? Uh, you hang on. The moody Bible commentary done by the faculty of Moody Bible Institute. Uh, we did it to try and help people understand the scriptures. Anyone can get a copy. Just go to your favorite bookseller and, uh, online or in person, and you can get a copy. I saw one, uh, under Favorite books by the staff at a at a major bookstore. I think it was at Barnes and Noble. Uh, I saw it listed there. You can get it just about anywhere, but we'll send you one. It will really help you understand the scriptures. When you have a question, you hang on. Trish will get your name and address and we'll send you one. Thanks for your call. Yee ping. I do want to mention that another book that people can get our current resource. When you give a gift of any size. And we so appreciate every gift. You're so kind in helping support this program, but when you give a gift, we want to say thank you by sending you the Ultimate Bible Dictionary. Everyone should build a library of key books that will help them understand it. This is a handy size, easy to use Bible dictionary, so if you see a name, a place, an event, something in the in the scriptures and you say, I wonder what that is. This little handy Bible dictionary, the ultimate Bible dictionary published by B and H. They are the ones that do the Holman CSB. The translation that I think is so helpful, uh, that is a great tool, and the way to get a copy of this ultimate Bible dictionary is with your gift of any size will send you a copy to say thanks. Just call (888) 644-7122. That's (888) 644-7122 to give your gift. Or you can go to Openline radio.com. We're going to take a break here. And uh, when, uh, when we come back, we'll take more of your questions. Uh, you're listening to Open Line, our phone number here. (877) 548-3675. Uh, our Bible study across America will continue, so stay with us. More questions. Straight ahead. And we're back. You're listening to Open Line with Michael Ray. Dolnick. I'm so glad to be with you. If you have a question about the Bible, God or the spiritual life, call (877) 548-3675. We'll do our best to answer your questions. Uh, you know, I'm so grateful for the team. I look at this team here, and I'm so grateful for everyone that participates in the program and brings it to you. It's really a great group of people to work with. And there are other people who are part of the team, people who give monthly to open line. There are kitchen table partners. Uh, I just heard this is a really dear woman, someone very special to me. Uh, just notified me that though she's in a nursing home, she's made arrangements, that she wants to be a kitchen table partner and lives living on a fixed income. I thought, oh, that's too generous. And yet she was determined to become a kitchen table partner, to be part of the team. Uh, really kind kindness to me and I am grateful for that. Grateful for her generosity. May the Lord bless that. If you want to become a kitchen table partner by giving monthly to open line so we can be on the air weekly. Uh, how, uh, how much we would appreciate that is it's tremendous. Uh, and the way we say thank you for that when you become a kitchen table partner is by sending you a Bible study moment every other week. Uh, you'll get it in your email. It's a Bible study produced exclusively for our kitchen table partners. It's an audio Bible study. You click on it, you get to listen to it. It's about ten minutes long. I hope it's something that you'll appreciate and enjoy. Uh, and so if you'd like to become a kitchen table partner, call (888) 644-7122. That's (888) 644-7122. Or you can go to open line radio.org. RG and we're going to go right back to the phones now. Sharon in Holland, Michigan listening on WGN. Welcome to Open Line Sharon. How can I help you. Sharon.
S5: Faithful to answer all of our questions.
S1: Oh.
S5: I'm here.
S1: Okay, good. I hear you now.
S5: Okay, good. Um, I have a question about the Levitic tribe, and I'm wondering. Moses and Aaron were both born into the tribe of Levi. But why do you think the tribe was chosen to be priests? When Levi and Simeon were both cursed by Jacob for their violence, and neither tribe was given land because of that in the Promised Land.
S1: Mhm. Well, it's really true. When you look at Genesis 49, uh, their anger is cursed because of how extensive their, uh, attack on, uh, Of those who raped their sister was. They went too far in their vengeance. So in Genesis 49 five through seven, Simeon and Levi are brothers. Their knives are vicious weapons. And then it says, for in their anger they kill men, and on a whim they hamstring oxen. Their anger is cursed, for it is strong, and their fury for his cruel. Then he tells them what the curse is. I will disperse them throughout Jacob and scatter them throughout Israel that they won't receive. A geographical inheritance. Because of that, they'll be dispersed throughout the the nation. Now, what is true for Levi? You know, why did God choose, even though that is a curse, to then give them a special blessing? Uh, I keep thinking it's the grace of God. Um, when I think about, you know, the Bible says that all of us are under condemnation because of our disobedience to him. And then God in his kindness blesses you. Sharon or me, by allowing us to understand who Jesus is and putting our trust in him. And all of a sudden we have forgiveness. I think in some respects it's the grace of God with Levi as well, because what he says is that you won't have a portion in the land that's part of the curse. But because of that, God says, I'll be your portion. Uh, I'll have I'll be your inheritance and you can serve me. You'll be scattered throughout the land in the in the among the nation. Uh, you'll live all sorts of places. You won't have a geographical inheritance, but I'll be your inheritance. I'll be your portion. And that's why, in his mercy, he chooses Levi to be those who serve in the tabernacle and in the temple, and even those who will be the priests. The sons of Aaron will be the priests. Uh, it's just an example. People often will say there is no grace in the Old Testament that there's only grace in the New Testament. And I think here's a classic example of the grace of God right in the Old Testament. Okay, Sharon.
S5: It's wonderful. Thank you so much.
S1: Yeah. Good. I'm so glad you called. Thank you. Uh, we're going to talk to Karen in Pennsylvania, listening to Wpvm. Welcome to Open Line. Karen, how can I help you today?
S6: I just have a question. Our souls go to God immediately when we die. Then who? Then who are the dead in Christ that God is going to raise up when he returns?
S1: Well, first of all, it's really clear. It says absent from the body is present with the Lord. That's second Corinthians five. It says in Philippians one that to live is Christ, to die is gain. Uh, to live as the we live for the Messiah Jesus. And he said to the Philippians that it'd be he would prefer to go to be with the Lord immediately. But he had to stay behind and minister to them at that time. So obviously, Paul thought that when he died he would go to be with the Lord instantly. Uh, the passage where it talks about the dead in Christ rise first. The dead in the Messiah rise first is first Thessalonians chapter four. And, uh, I want there's something that a lot of people miss, uh, when they read it. I missed it for years and years and years. Then I heard Mike Fabares talking about this, and he pointed something out, and I said, bingo. That's really important to note. Uh, here's what it says. We don't want you to be uninformed, brothers, concerning those who are asleep. Now, that's a euphemism for dead. So there in first Thessalonians 413, he says, I don't want you to be uninformed concerning those who are dead, those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve like the rest, who have no hope. Since we believe that Jesus died and rose again. Look at this verse here in verse 14. In the same way, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep through Jesus. So when it's saying, when the Lord descends, and who is he going to bring with him? Those people whose immaterial parts, their their souls, their spirits have gone to be with him. When the Lord Jesus descends, he's going to bring those people who have died or are with him now. And then he says, for we say this to you by a revelation from the Lord, we who are still alive at the Lord's coming will certainly have no advantage over those who have fallen asleep, those who have died. For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a shout. Now it says, the Lord will descend from heaven with a shout. But in verse 14 it says, when he descends, he will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. So when he descends from heaven with a shout, with the archangel's voice, and with the trumpet of God. He's coming with the people whose spirits are with him. And then it says, and the dead in Messiah, the dead in Christ will rise first. So what this is saying is, when the Lord Jesus descends, he's bringing the immaterial parts the spirit, the soul, whatever you want to call it, of people who have gone to be with him, with him, and then their bodies will be resurrected at that moment and be reconnected, so to speak, and become one with their spirits. And that's when their bodies will be resurrected. So you say, who are the ones? It's the same ones. First there are spirits. Go to be our spirits. Go to be with the Lord. But at the resurrection our bodies will be restored to our material. Our material part will be restored to the immaterial part. We'll be together in immortal fashion. Okay.
S6: Awesome. Yeah. Thank you so much.
S1: Yeah. I'm so glad that you called. That's. That's a question that troubles people. Shouldn't trouble us. We're going to go to be with the Lord the moment we die. If we've trusted in Jesus. Uh, and then when when he resurrects us, uh, then we'll be, uh, have an immortal, glorified body forever. Um, we're going to. Thanks for your call, Karen. We're going to talk to Terry in Downers Grove, Illinois, listening on Wmbi. Welcome to Open Line. Terry. How can I help you?
S7: Thank you for taking my call. Um, so I've always believed, uh, I trusted the Lord when I was 13 years old. Um, and I've always had that assurance in my my heart and my my life. Um, so if. Okay. So when I believed, um, I was led to believe, uh, from my pastor that the, um, that my name was written in the book of life. Do you agree with that?
S1: Yeah, sure.
S7: Okay. Can. So can will God ever unwrite your name or take your name out of the book of life? Well.
S1: The Bible says that in John 637 through 40, Jesus said, I have come not to do my will, but the will of him who sent me. Okay, so Jesus always does the father's will, or he's not who he claimed to be, right? Right. And then it's then he goes on to say, and this is the will of him who sent me that of all that he has given me, I lose not one of them. So if Jesus could use lose me or lose you, wow. Then he's not who he claimed to be. So you're right in believing that we're secure and safe because his grip is a lot stronger than ours. He'll hold on to us. The verses in revelation that talk about being written out of the Book of Life. I think people misunderstand them because what he says is us. The victor will be dressed in white clothes, and I will never erase his name from the book of life. That doesn't mean that he would, but he you know, what he is saying is this is a message of assurance. You are safe and secure. If you have trusted in Jesus, your name will never be written out of the book of life. It will never be erased. And so that's a great promise to hang to. Now that we've trusted in Jesus, we're safe. We're secure. His grip is a lot firmer than ours. We can't hold on to him as well as he can hold on to us, and he will never erase us from the book of Life. Is that helpful, Terry?
S8: It is, but I have a little bit of a follow up here, so wait.
S1: Wait, we don't have time for a follow up. Terry. We got music playing. We're going to be going out on this break. We're coming back with the mailbag. Call back with your follow up. Okay. Thanks for your call. We're going to be right back with more questions right here on Open Line. Welcome back to Open Line. It's time for the Febc mailbag. We're so grateful for Far Eastern Broadcasting Company for partnering with us in bringing you the mailbag every week. And I especially appreciate this ministry with which reaches people through media, but also through personal touch. Right. All around the world, it's a marvelous ministry. And if you can hear all about what they're doing by listening to their podcasts, it's called Until All I've Heard. It features Ed Cannon and Wayne Shepherd. I think you'll really enjoy it. You can go to their website to check it out. And joining me right now with the Febc mailbag that she puts together every week is Tricia McMillan. Hello. Hey, Tricia. Uh, so people I actually I'm amazing. My, my phone is blowing up with messages on Facebook because I mentioned that I'm going to Israel in September, September 7th through the 18th. And there there's a few spaces left and only a few more weeks. I think it's going to be two weeks and we're closing that down. So if you want to go, now's the time to go. Someone wanted to know about how many people are going on this trip. I'd say about 60 if we fill up the spaces.
S9: Okay, so it's a small trip. Is that two buses? One bus?
S1: Yeah, it's two small buses.
S9: Small buses. Okay.
S1: Yeah. And I'm on the bus with people. I don't just show up and teach at the sites. Uh, I'm on the buses with people. Alternate days. And if we have two buses and, uh, it's it's a lot of fun. Uh, we're together all the time. We're in the same hotel. Uh, it's it's it's it's a really, uh, very close knit group of people that that go.
S9: Yeah, that's very cool. And I did add a link, um, to the website for people who do want to know more about that. It's currently under our one. I will also add it under our two, in case you're only hearing this hour or you happen to get the podcast and you just download this one hour. So I will add it there as well. But it's currently under our one. If you go to the website, there's a link to the Israel trip.
S1: Oh that's great. Yeah, I'm really excited about it. I haven't been in a couple of years, and I actually may go to this summer just to see some family and not to lead a trip. I'm trying to I'm trying to carve out a week or two so I can go to Israel, but I have.
S9: To wait personal things and not just to to teach.
S1: Yeah, I haven't seen my family and I really need to see. Uh, these are, you know, people say, well, they're second cousins. What? They're kind of distant. Why do you care so much? Well, we've lost most of our family in the Holocaust. Both sides. There's their family. My family. Uh, and, uh, as a result, we're much closer than than you would think. Uh, for second cousins, it's. I feel like those are my extended brothers and sisters there in Israel. You know, family. Yeah, very little family. And they I love them so much. So. Got to go see them. Yeah. Anyway, uh, let's, uh, by the way, wasn't that fun? One of the things that I love about bringing people to Israel is I always bring my family one night to meet, and I think it's really cool for people to meet real Israelis, you know, not not just, uh, you know, people from the tourist industry like guides or hotel personnel, but to meet Israelis who are just regular Israelis. And I bring my cousins and their kids and they they speak to our group. And I think it's always so much fun.
S9: It is. It was really neat to hear them and hear what life is like. And just to, I guess, form that relationship, even just a surface relationship with, with, um, people who live in the land and aren't, aren't being paid to they're.
S1: Not being paid to talk to tourists.
S9: Now, I will say the guides are amazing, but, um, and so were all of the staff and everyone that we worked with. But there was nothing that nothing that your family was gaining, you know, to to.
S1: Come and visit with us.
S9: Their time to do that. Yeah. It was a lot of fun.
S1: Yeah. Yeah. I think it's so funny. Uh, that once I was up in the north, near where my cousin Dena lives, and I had about, I don't know, about 60 people with me, and she said, how come you didn't bring them to my house? I would have given them a coffee. And I said, 60 people. She said, I said, that's why would you do that? She said, why not? So she went to give coffee to everyone. I think that was so funny. Um, so anyway, uh, we're going to get to the mailbag. Why don't we do some of those?
S9: All right. First question is from Kenneth in Illinois, listens to WNBA. Is there anything in Scripture that would indicate what God was doing before creation? One of his sons wondered if the Lord created other universes before this one.
S1: Mhm. You know, uh, Paul wrote to the Corinthians, don't go beyond that which is written. And so I'm not going to speculate. Uh, but I suppose he, you could read the C.S. Lewis trilogy. You know where he does fantasy novel Perelandra.
S9: That one? Yeah. Okay.
S1: Yeah. There's the out of the Silent Planet, perelandra. That Hideous Strength, uh, kind of gives ideas of other, uh, other other planets, I don't know. You know, but.
S9: The Bible that we have doesn't indicate anything. No. Okay. All right. That's easy, I guess. Yeah. I'm sorry. That's all right. Vicky in Minnesota listens to KFC and says she is reading 50 most important Bible questions and good book. It is. It is book by you. Written by you. Um, by Michael Redlick. Um, question 34, she says, was about the Lord Jesus descending into hell between Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday. And you state that you don't believe Jesus went to hell then. So she wants to know, did God then include an opportunity for those before Christ came and those who have never heard of Jesus to have eternal life.
S1: Well, you know the question about did the Lord Jesus descend to hell? That's from the the the Apostle's Creed, right? Uh, where it says he died, he descended to hell and then was raised. Isn't that where it is, Tricia? Am I getting it wrong? I'm judging from your.
S9: Face, sir. No, don't judge by my face, okay? You're fine. So don't judge by my face.
S1: So, uh, it's in the Apostles Creed. And, uh. And so the thing is, in the earliest editions of the Apostles Creed, it didn't say that. It only said that he died. It didn't say that he descended to hell. I think that it was a later edition. The evidence is there. The Bible doesn't teach anywhere. I. I believe you can see that in the book that Jesus descended to hell. But it's not really related to the question of people getting an opportunity before Christ came, because people were always saved by grace through faith. Even before the Lord Jesus was incarnate on this earth in his ministry. People, uh, how were people saved in the Old Testament? By grace through faith in the revealed will of God? Uh, the Bible revealed that there was a coming Messiah. That's what they had to believe. Uh, but they they didn't have to believe in Jesus death and resurrection for them because it hadn't happened yet. They had to believe in the revealed will of God, which was to trust him, uh, and and trust the sacrificial system and look forward to the coming of the Messiah. So, uh, God, include an opportunity for those before Christ came? Yeah. Of course, it was revealed that they had to trust in what God had revealed. Uh, and what about those who never heard? Well, again this the Lord Jesus didn't come to give people a second chance. If even if you believed he descended to hell. It's not to give people a second chance. That's that's not what it was. It was to proclaim victory over demons is what people who believe in the descent to hell. That's they're not there for a second chance. People were given all sorts of opportunities to believe before death, and that's what God wants them to have. Those who never heard, they had the witness of creation. The Bible says in Romans one that the creation reveals that there's a God. And if they had responded to that, he would have given them more information. So this really the question of Did Jesus to send to hell doesn't really relate to the question of opportunity for those before Christ or those who never heard of Jesus. Uh, it just doesn't have anything to do with that at all.
S9: So but they did have that opportunity.
S1: Well, yeah. You know, I think it's so important for people who have never heard of Jesus even today. Uh, people say, well, that wouldn't be fair of God, but God gave them general revelation. And it's mentioned here in Romans one. I'm going to read it to you. It says in Romans 120 for his invisible attributes, that is, his eternal power and divine nature have been clearly seen since the creation of the world, being understood through what he has made through the creation. As a result, people are without excuse. You say, well, they didn't know about Jesus. They have to believe in Jesus. Well, if people would respond to the creation, to the general revelation that God gave, he would send more special revelation about the Messiah. Uh, there is a book by Don Richardson that I read many years ago in college called eternity in their hearts, and that book detailed how when they people in tribes that had never heard of Jesus, when they responded to the creation, when they responded to God's revelation in creation, that's when the missionaries came and told them about Jesus.
S9: Mm. That's really cool. So, yeah. Okay. And that was Romans 120. In case someone wanted to know what that verse was. So thank you for that. You want to try and do one more? This one's pretty.
S1: Short.
S9: One more. Okay. Rosemary in Florida listens to and wants to know why we don't keep the Sabbath.
S1: How does she know I don't keep the Sabbath? Uh huh. So.
S9: Giving you an opportunity here? Yeah.
S1: Well, uh, just simply put, the Sabbath was the sign of the Law of Moses. Uh, today we're still under a law, but now it's the law of Messiah. But the principles of the law of Moses. The wisdom of the law of Moses applies. And so what we can do is I think we all need to have a Sabbath. I think we need a day of rest and spiritual renewal. That's what the Sabbath taught. And Romans 14 verse five says, one man honors one day above another. Another views them all alike. Uh, let each man be convinced in his own mind. And so basically what it's saying is that you can keep Saturday, you can keep Friday, you can keep Thursday or Sunday. Um, but but the key is that we take a day. We keep the Sabbath. Not on Saturday necessarily. You can on Saturday if you want. But what we need to keep is a day for spiritual renewal and physical rest. I think that's something that we need to keep.
S9: So okay, what was that verse again in Romans 14.
S1: Romans 14, verse five.
S9: Five. Okay. All right. So those of us who.
S1: I'm quoting from memory there. I got I got to look it up to make sure I got it right.
S9: Yes, that's correct, that's correct. I had Romans 14, but I couldn't find the verse quickly. Romans 14 five. So those of us who, let's say, for example, are working Saturdays, we can still take a Sabbath, right? Yeah.
S1: So if you work Saturdays like us. Yeah. I take the rest of the day off when we're done. Okay. And, uh, but some people take Sunday or Monday or whatever.
S9: Yeah.
S1: So. Yeah. Uh, well, we're going to break here. Thanks for bringing the questions in. And when we come back, we'll take more of your questions. That was Tricia McMillan. I'm Michael Wright. Stay with us. We'll be right back. Welcome back to Open Line. I'm Michael Wright. I want to thank Tricia McMillan, Merle. Saint James. Lisa. Uh, everyone, uh, that participated in the program today. You guys did great. And I so appreciate all your help. Uh, and also, uh, I want to thank every caller for, uh, being bold enough to give us a call and ask your question. Really appreciate that. Those of you who wrote in. Those of you who listened, appreciate it. Uh, I just wanted to say that now, before I forget, at the end, uh, now, uh, a lot of people ask questions about Israel. They have questions about the Jewish people. And one of our partners, Chosen People Ministries, is offering Why Israel? It's a booklet that explores the topic of Israel through the lens of Scripture. It answers questions like, has the church replaced Israel? Does ethnic Israel still have a future? What should we think about Israel today? These will be answered and many more. Anymore with this really wonderful book, Why Israel? If you'd like a copy, go to our website online Radio.com, and scroll down. You'll see a link that says A free gift from Chosen People Ministries. Click on that and you'll be taken to a page where you can sign up for your own copy of Why Israel? We're going to talk to Terry in Springfield, Illinois, listening on you. Welcome to Open Line, Terry. How can I help you?
S10: Hello, sir. Um, I don't know how important this is, but I'm in the process of going through a one year Bible put out through voices of the martyrs. And, uh, at the end of First Samuel, they talk about the death of King Saul and how eventually, after being wounded, um, he basically commits suicide by falling on his sword. But then at the beginning of second Samuel, um, they talk about an amalekite who claims to have killed him, and then in turn, King David has him killed. And so I'm confused if there's a discrepancy there or how that how that can be reconciled, I guess.
S1: Terry, I think you got it right. Right at the beginning you said the Amalekite claimed it. He didn't do it. This is just recording what he claimed. Uh, he thought he would, uh, curry favor with King David by telling David I killed your foil. You can be king now. Now, that's not what happened. And he didn't. It just showed what David thought of Saul, how he would never put forth his hand against the Lord's anointed, and how he would punish a murderer of the king. But the guy was stupid. He was foolish because he claimed a murder that he didn't commit. And and that's. There's no discrepancy. It just shows David's heart, uh, about protecting the honor of the king. So. Okay. Did you follow that?
S11: I suppose it was okay. That's very helpful.
S1: Okay, good. Well, thanks for your call, Terry. Appreciate it. We're going to talk to Geneva in Aurora, Illinois, listening on Wmbi. Welcome to Open Line Geneva. How can I help you?
S12: Um, yes. In in the Old Testament, reading about the different kings at the end, it talks about the, um, events of King David reign from the beginning to the end. Note that they are written in the events of the Seer Samuel, the events of the prophet Nathan, and the events of the seer Gad. And sometimes they say they're written in the historical books of the kings of Israel and Judah. Are they talking about first and second kings in the Bible, or are there different books?
S1: I think the fact that they're quoting all these other books that are not in the Bible is just saying our source with some of these other books and, and the Bible often will use the inspired text, often used non inspired outside books, uh, to as sources that the Holy Spirit superintended the human author of the books of the Bible to cite from. And I don't believe when it talks about the Chronicles of the Kings, that it's talking about the books of First and second Kings. It's just talking about books that were historical records of the kings, uh, from Israel. Okay.
S12: All right. My second question. Would those historical books be in the, um, Jewish book or, um, in the Torah or.
S1: No, they were just ancient records. Uh, they're not they're not the the Hebrew Bible. They have a different order in the Hebrew Bible that Jewish people have, but they're the same Bible that we have. It's the same.
S13: Books. Okay.
S1: Okay.
S13: All right.
S12: Thank you very much for taking my question.
S1: Sure. Geneva. Uh, and, uh, let's see. We're going to talk to Larry, uh, in Ohio. Uh, Larry, welcome to Open Line. How can I help you?
S14: Good morning. Michael. It's a pleasure to speak with you.
S1: Thank you. Good talking with you, too. How can I.
S14: Help? Regarding my question is regarding the Reformed Church and their theology. What did the proponents of it feel necessary to have? Reformed theology?
S1: Really, the root of reformed theology is the Reformation that, uh, in the 16th century tree began with began with Lutheranism, which responded to. What was perceived as difficulties with Roman Catholicism, particularly in the area of justification by faith, and then in Geneva, Calvin developed reformed theology, and as a result of that, even today there's a lot of people who adhere to reformed theology. Anyone that's Protestant, in a sense has a reformed theology. But today there's a movement more towards, uh, a renewed Calvinism. Uh, and there are all kinds of Calvinists. There's very strict Calvinists. There's, there's mild Calvinists. Uh, Moody Bible Institute is a reflection of sort of a mild a mild Calvinism. It's important because of the issue of justification by faith. Uh, a lot of issues that they, they're reformed theologians take. But for most it's Justification by faith, uh, and, uh, believing that there's nothing we can do to earn our salvation. No sacrament, nothing we earn, uh, nothing. But what? Rather it is the grace of God through faith. That's what justification by faith is. Hope that helps. Larry. Uh, thanks for your call. Well, that's the program for week. For the week. Thanks for listening, everyone. I can't believe the two hours are up. So grateful for all of you. Remember, keep in touch with Open Line by going to our website, Online radio.org. That page has all the links you're looking for, how to get our current resource, how to become a kitchen table partner, how to get the gift from Chosen People Ministries. It's also got a link about going to Israel with me in September. Keep reading the Bible. We'll talk about it next week. Open line with Doctor Michael Melnick is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute. See you next week.