S1: Relationships will hurt us, but they don't have to define us. Discover the biblical path to healing today on Bold Steps with Mark Jobe.
S2: There's someone that knows you, that cares about you, that loves you, that has a purpose and a plan for your life. Someone whose presence has never abandoned you. Someone that's been there 24 hours a day. Someone that has the hairs on your head counted. He knows how many. That's how detailed it is for you.
S1: Welcome to Bold Steps with Mark Jobe, founding pastor of New Life Community Church in Chicago. I'm Wayne Shepherd. Yesterday, we began an incredibly relevant and personal message from Mark, drawn from the Apostle Paul's own final words in second Timothy chapter four. And what we've already discovered is that Paul knew what it felt like to be deserted, opposed, and utterly alone. But even from a prison cell, with execution looming, Paul modeled a response to relational pain that was nothing short of extraordinary. Today, we'll pick up where we left off and discover the final two of four biblical steps for staying strong when people around us let us down. If you missed yesterday's program, you can catch up online at bold steps.org. But right now, let's jump back in. Here again is Mark Jobe.
S2: And you know what? There are some of you today that you got hurt three years ago, two years ago. But every time you think about it, you're like my little granddaughter, Maeve are. Because the emotions stir up and you could still feel the pain as if it happened just yesterday. The pain and the emotion surge once again. And if you're here today and you're struggling with hurt disappointment, whether it happened five years ago, two years ago, ten years ago. But you're struggling with how to deal with the disappointment hurt that people have caused you in life. I want to talk to you today, and I want us to look at a passage that's in the very final verses of Second Timothy, Paul's last book that he wrote, the last verses that he ever penned before he died. Second Timothy chapter four, verses nine through 22. Let me read these verses quickly to you. The apostle Paul says, do your best to come soon. He's speaking to Timothy, the young man that he mentored for Demas, in love with this present world, has deserted me and gone to Thessalonica. The first hurt. I've been deserted. Christians has gone to Galatia, Titus to Dalmatia. These people had left. Luke alone is with me. Get Mark and bring him with you. For he is very useful for me in ministry. Tychicus I sent to Ephesus. When you come, bring the cloak that I left at carpus at Troas. Also the books and above all the parchments. Verse 14. Alexander the coppersmith did me great harm. The Lord will repay him according to his deeds. Beware of him yourself, for he strongly opposed our message. Verse 16 at my first defense no one came to stand by me, but all deserted me. May it not be charged against them. But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed, and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion's mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed. Bring me safely into his kingdom. To him be glory forever and ever. Amen. The Apostle Paul, his last words ever to be written in the Bible before he was executed by the Romans, have to deal with the personal hurt that he experienced by the people around him, and how he had to manage it. So if you're taking notes this morning, I want you to write this down. I'm going to talk to you about how to stay strong when people let you down. Because listen to me. There's a cost to community. There's a cost to relationships. If you're in any kind of relationship today, you will be hurt. Guaranteed. If you're married, you'll be hurt. If you have kids, you'll be hurt. If you have extended family, you'll be hurt if you're part of a church and get to know people, you will be hurt because relationships come with hurt. So the question isn't will you be hurt? The question is, what will you do with the hurt when it comes your way? Four things. Number one, when you are hurt, respond with release. Notice what the apostle Paul says. He says, do your best to come to me soon. For Demas, in love with this present world, has deserted me and gone to Thessalonica. Now we don't know much about who Demas was, but what we do know is that Paul had mentioned him two other times in the Bible. He's mentioned in Colossians chapter four, verse 14, where he says, Luke, the beloved physician, greets you, as does Demas. And then in Philippians and Philemon, chapter one, verse 24, he actually refers to Demas as a fellow worker. So it appears that Demas was a guy that had worked with Paul, one of his inner circle. One of the people that was ministering with him and sharing the gospel with them. But a time came where Demas says, this is too hard. I don't know if I want to keep doing this. And the Bible says that because he loved this present world, maybe he got involved in a relationship. Maybe he just decided, I want to make money. Maybe he just decided, hey, I just want a life that's easier. This is too hard for me. But because he loved the present world, the Bible says that he abandoned Paul, left him, left God, left the things of God, walked away from his faith because it was too difficult. And Paul, his fellow laborer, was left with the pain of someone that abandoned him when he should have been walking with him. You know, later on, it says in this passage in verse 16 that the apostle Paul, he was in prison when he wrote this. He was standing, going to stand in trial for his faith. And so he stood in a court with judges in front of him. And Paul says this, listen, he says, at my first defense, no one came to stand by me, but all deserted me. May it not be charged against them. You know, Paul, that was preaching the gospel, helping people come to God. When he stood before the near the Emperor's court. Who was Nero? Nero was this eccentric, crazy Roman emperor. He's the guy that supposedly set fire to Rome so that he could build a big palatial estate in the middle of Rome, and blamed it on the Christians that they had burned Rome, this crazy emperor. When Paul was about to stand trial before him, all of the people that he ministered to, no one stood with Paul. They all abandoned him. The question I have for you is, have you been hurt? Or is there a time in your life when you thought, hey, people should be beside me? This is when they need to show up. But the people that you expected to show up didn't show up. The people that you thought would stand with you, didn't stand with you the way you expected them to. Now, when you heard in that way, there's a couple decisions that you can make. You can become hurt and bitter. You can allow the pain of people's disappointment to cause you to back away, to disengage, to become someone that is resentful, someone that walks away from the community. But I love what Paul says. Listen to what Paul says. They all deserted me. But listen, may it not be held against them. You know what Paul is saying, man? It hurt me deeply, but I'm not going to let the pain define me. I'm not going to let my hurt derail me from my call. I'm going to learn to release people that have hurt me. Even though the pain is difficult. I will release them because I don't want to be defined by the pain. I want to be defined by the grace of God, the forgiveness of God, and the goodness of God.
S1: You're listening to bold Steps. The Bible teaching of Mark job will continue in just a moment. First, I want to make sure you know all about a valuable tool for your walk with God that's completely free. It's the Bold Steps app. With the app, you can access full sermon series from Mark right from your phone or mobile device, along with short teaching videos, biblical insights, and practical tools for daily living. Whether you're looking to take your first bold step or your next one, this app puts Mark's Bible teaching right in the palm of your hand. Download it today from your favorite app store. Just search for bold steps and then start exploring. And just so you know, we'd love to hear from you. If today's message has impacted your life, or if you have a testimony to share about how God is working in your story, please reach out to us. You can send a message through our website at bold steps.org, or call our recorded listener line at (312) 329-2011, that's (312) 329-2011. Your story matters, and it may encourage someone else who's walking through a similar season. Now here again is pastor Mark Jobe with the conclusion of How to be Strong when People Let You Down.
S2: Hurt and disappointment can lead you to bitterness, disillusionment and listen and disengagement. Do you know how many people I talked to out there? Not in church, that when I invited them to church, they say, oh no, I was a part of a church, I got hurt. And because they got hurt, they disengaged, they abandoned. They said, I'm not going to let that happen to me again. And what I see is people that usually aren't walking with God or doing well, because they've allowed the pain to keep them away from the very things that ultimately could help them if they embraced it. Number two, when you're opposed, what you do, you do. Trust God with justice. Look what it tells us in verse 14. Paul goes on to say, Alexander the Coppersmith did me great harm. I love his response. The Lord will repay him according to his deeds. Beware of him yourself, for he strongly opposed our message. Listen, occasionally there's going to be some people that they don't just hurt you, they are out to get you. How many of you have had people like that around you? Someone at work that you do something wrong to, and they are out to get you. They want to badmouth you, spread rumors about you, get you fired. They are your opponents. You are the arch enemy. You just rub them wrong and so they can't stand the sight of you. And they are enemies of you. And the Apostle Paul says, Alexander the Coppersmith, we don't know exactly what he did, but he was ardently opposed to Paul. Maybe he even got Paul imprisoned. Or maybe he even got him, um, to the judges to turn against him. We don't know. But sometimes in life, there will be people that will go against you, that they'll make you their arch enemy. And I love what Paul says. He says the Lord will repay him according to his deeds. You know what Paul is saying? I'm not going to turn into a vengeful person. I'm going to say, God, vengeance is yours. Deal with them. How many of you know that God can deal with people? Some of you just need to say, Lord, I can't do anything. I'm not going to do anything, but I'm going to release him to you. You be my defender. God, you do do justice, Lord, because I can't do anything about it. Number three, when disappointed, what do you do when you're disappointed? When disappointed. Give chances and grace. Notice what it says in verse 11. The apostle Paul says, pretty much everyone left him. Luke alone is with me, he says, and then he says, get Mark and bring him with you, for he is very useful to me in ministry. Now, if you just read this without knowing the context, you would say, well, who's Mark? But we know who Mark is because Mark is also called John. Mark. In acts chapter 16, you'll see his name. John Mark was a young man that was zealous. He went with Paul on his first missionary journey, and when things got difficult, he abandoned them and left them and went running back to Mama. Paul didn't like that at all. Like, hey, we're in the middle of this battle and you leave me. So on the second, the second missionary journey that Paul was about to take, Barnabas, the son of encouragement, says, hey, let's take John Mark again. And Paul says, no way. I'm not going to take him. He bailed out when it was tough. I will not take him. And they had a sharp disagreement over it and parted ways. Barnabas went one way. Paul went another way because Paul felt like he had been disappointed in John Mark's abandonment. This is years later, and I love the fact that Paul, years later is saying, hey, bring Mark. You know what? It tells me that he had restored his relationship, that he had given Mark a second chance. Listen, you may have you may have people in your life that have blown it, that maybe they disappointed you. Maybe they dropped the ball. But I want to tell you how many times have you disappointed God and God gave you chances and grace. There's something powerful about giving people second chances and giving people grace. Sometimes people are immature at a certain season of their life, and when they grow and mature, you give them second chances abilities to redeem themselves. Because we all need people that are full of grace in our lives to say, you know what? Your failure doesn't define you. God can change you, and God can give you a second chance as well. And so did Paul in the life of Demas. And then lastly, number four, when you feel alone, remember that God is with you. There is a. Epidemic of loneliness in our country these days. You can be surrounded by people, but fear feel utterly alone. Aloneness is not the absence of people around you. You can be surrounded by people, but yet at the same time, you don't wear a t shirt that says, I feel lonely. But what does loneliness mean? Loneliness means that you feel like no one really cares about you, that no one really understands you, that you don't really belong to a community that's significant. And some of you here today feel like if I were to die tomorrow, it wouldn't make a difference. And in your mind, in your mind, you're disconnected. In your mind, you feel like there's no one that understands me. There's no one that would stand with me. And even though I may be surrounded by people, I feel utterly alone. In fact, we have a a nation that struggles with loneliness. You'd think that in a city like Chicago, where sometimes you can barely find a parking space and you're always running into people that since we're surrounded by people, you would think that people would not be lonely. But sometimes urban environments are the most lonely because it's not about how many people are around you. It's about the connection that you have, the sense of belonging that you have, the sense that, hey, people really care about me and I care about others. They understand me that I am not isolated. The apostle Paul says when he desperately needed people, no one was there. But I want you to notice what he says in verse 17, but the Lord stood by me, and strengthen me, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed to all the Gentiles they might hear. So I was rescued. I love this, the apostle Paul says, even though other people weren't with me. Can I tell you something? There is someone that's with you 24 over seven. There's someone that knows you, that cares about you, that loves you, that has a purpose and a plan for your life. There are someone that when you cried yourself to sleep at night, when you wailed and no one knew it, when you drank yourself and said, I just. I just want to get drunk to forget about it. There's someone that was there, someone that was beside you. Someone that when you woke up, was there. Someone that when you went to sleep, was there someone whose presence has never abandoned you? Someone that's been there 24 hours a day. Someone that has the hairs on your head counted? He knows how many. That's how detailed it is for you. The King of kings and the Lord of lords. Your maker, your Creator God. He loves you in a way that you could never fathom. He loves you in a way that is just incredible. The love of God. And the Apostle Paul says, he stood with me when everybody else abandoned me, and he helped him fulfill his purpose. Now, I think you still need community, but I want to tell you, in the midst of your hurt, in the midst of feeling alone, in the midst of feeling well, does anybody care? It should matter that the God of the universe who made you, cares about you, love you, and stands beside you when no one else will do so. So today, if you feel hurt, disappointed, abandoned, or alone, I want to remind you that ultimately what God tells us is release it to him if you're hurt. Release it to him. If you're disappointed, release it to him. If you feel like injustice has happened, release it to him and say, God, can you do something about it? There's something powerful about saying, I'm in pain, but I will not let the pain define me and hold me back from my calling and my purpose and engagement and letting people into my life and loving other people. I will not let pain define my behavior, my relationships, my destiny. I've experienced pain, but I know the power of releasing it to God and saying, God, I release it to you. Deal with my life.
S1: You're listening to Bold Steps with Mark Jobe. What a powerful lesson from the Apostle Paul. He released those who hurt him. He trusted God with justice. He extended grace to John Mark, and in his loneliest moments, he held on to the reality that God was right there standing with him. Mark. That's what it looks like to stay strong.
S3: It does. And maybe you're listening to this message and you have to admit that you have been disappointed. Uh, maybe not in the same way that the apostle Paul was hurt and disappointed, but by a friendship that ended in what you feel like was betrayal by a trust that you put in someone and then felt like they disappointed you by a covenant that was made and broken. And I want you to know that even if you're going through relational pain, you cannot let it turn into bitterness, unresolved anger, unforgiveness, because ultimately it's double damage, the damage that was done to you. But then the damage.
S2: That you do to yourself.
S1: Everybody loses, right?
S2: Everybody loses. And so I want to pray for that person right now. That's saying I just hard to let go of this, but you need to. And this is a reminder from God that you cannot go into this next chapter without releasing. So, father, I pray for that person right now struggling. You know, they've been hurt. God, you know how it's simmered inside of them, the pain that they've felt, how they've rehearsed it so many times. Uh, the feelings that come up when they hear the name of that person or see the image of that person. I pray in Jesus name that through the power of your Holy Spirit, God, you would give a double grace to be able to forgive because you have forgiven us, God, to be able to release, uh, to, to tear up that debt because you've torn up our debt, not because the person deserves it, but because you deserve it. I pray for freedom and steps of release and forgiveness In Jesus name. Amen.
S1: Yes. And that's exactly why we want to put this month's bold step gift into your hands. It's a book by Lee Strobel called The Case for Faith. And When the circumstances of life, including the people in it, shake you up, there's nothing more stabilizing than a faith that can hold up to hard questions. Lee Strobel investigates the toughest objections to Christianity, from the reality of suffering to the fear of a God who seems harsh or distant, and he delivers honest, evidence based answers that speak to both the mind and the heart. When your faith has been tested by hard seasons and difficult people, this book reminds you of exactly why it stands. Request your copy of The Case for Faith today. When you give a donation of any amount to support Bold Steps, just visit us online at bold steps.org or call us at 800 DL. Moody, that's (800) 356-6639. Now, you can also send your gift and request this book in the mail. write to us at Bold Steps, 820 North LaSalle Boulevard, Chicago, Illinois, 606 ten. And if you ever miss one of these daily programs, the easiest way to catch up is by subscribing to our podcast. Open up your favorite podcast app, whether that's Spotify or Apple or other platforms. Search for bold steps with doctor Mark Jobe and tap the subscribe button. Every message is there waiting for you, ready to download so you can listen anytime and anywhere that works for you. Well, I'm Wayne Sheppard. Tomorrow we're beginning a series called relentless. Mark's going to be teaching from acts chapter 16 in a message titled Make Some Noise about what it looks like to press on when the pressure is on. That's coming up Friday on Bold Steps with Mark Jobe. Bold steps is a production of Moody Radio, a Ministry of Moody Bible Institute.