S1: Did you know there's a way to tap into your home's equity for tax free cash without having to make monthly payments? It's true. I'm rob West. It's called the Home Equity Conversion Mortgage, or Hecm. What many of you know as a reverse mortgage. But today's reverse mortgage isn't what it used to be. Harlan Alcala is here to help us unpack how they work and whether one might be right for you. Then we'll take your calls and questions. The number 800, 505, 7000. That's 800, 500, 25, 7000. This is faith and finance. Live biblical wisdom for your financial decisions. Well, I'm so glad to dive into this topic today. You know, it's one we talk about frequently here. And, you know, there are many misconceptions related to reverse mortgages will dispel those today, many of them at least as it relates to home equity conversion mortgages. You know, as I often say here on this program, there's many of you that want to heed the warnings of Scripture around debt, get out of debt and stay out of debt. And I think that's great. We talk about that all the time. I think there is a difference, though, in understanding the places where debt can be used. Certainly we always want to follow the rules for borrowing. Number one, the economic return is greater than the economic cost. Spousal unity. We're not denying God an opportunity to work. Uh, and so I think there are productive uses for debt. And I think the key here with reverse mortgages is we're talking about non-recourse debt. So you are not personally obligating yourself. It is solely your home that then affords the opportunity, especially for those and more and more entering retirement. Two thirds of retirees now have a mortgage. Still, that largest expense in their budget is often really, causing challenges for them just to maintain their lifestyle. Maybe they haven't saved enough. So the ability to see home equity as one of the planning tools, as you look at it, alongside IRAs and Social Security and other assets, I think is an often overlooked tool that's tax free. It's often our biggest asset. And even if we're just replacing an existing mortgage payment, allowing that to go away and then to be able to live in your home for the rest of your life when it's sold, whatever's equity is left after the mortgage is paid, is passed on to the heirs. That's a missed opportunity. And I think it often goes back to some of these misunderstandings about the reverse mortgages of the past that are much different than those today. And that's why I'm excited to have Harlan Akela here. He's a good friend, a regular contributor. He's an expert on reverse mortgages with Movement Mortgage, an underwriter of this program. And, Harlan, it's great to have you back with us.
S2: Yeah, great to be here this afternoon. Thanks for the opportunity, Rob.
S1: Absolutely. By the way, Harlan's going to stick around for the show today. We're going to be looking forward to taking your calls and questions. If you have them. Specifically on reverse mortgages, you can call 800 525 7000, something we're going to do today. Every call on reverse mortgages is going to get a copy of Harlan's book, Home Equity and Reverse Mortgages. It'll be our gift from the team here at Faith fi to you. So after you ask your question on reverse mortgages, hang on the line and we'll get your information and get that right out to you. Uh, Harlan, let's dive into this topic before we head to the phones here and begin to mix in these questions. And perhaps you could start by talking about this idea that I shared that the reverse mortgages of today aren't what they used to be. How is the hecm different from those that got such an unfavorable reputation in the past?
S2: Well, I think the biggest thing is, is that they are non-recourse, meaning that every other debt you're personally liable for. When I signed my reverse mortgage. I signed a form that said Release of Personal Liability. This is really unusual because a credit card, a car loan, anything like that you are personally responsible for. If you wreck your car and don't have insurance, if your house burns or your house doesn't have insurance or anything else, those debts could do not go away with the reverse mortgage. You're completely relieved of the responsibility of that debt, and it has to be 100% paid for by the House. And yet, the important thing is you don't give up ownership. Many people think, well, I worked all my life to get this house, and now I'm giving it away to the bank. And you're not. All you're doing is using some of the money inside and you're protected. That you're guaranteed to live in the house because of that non-recourse factor until you pass away or permanently move out of the house. That guarantee is really important because without it, quite frankly, Movement Mortgage wouldn't even offer it. But we know that we can guarantee any senior the ability to live in their house as long as they want to. Up to age 150, that is.
S1: And that includes their spouse as well. Right, Harlan?
S2: That is exactly correct. It's not that the wife is kicked out at the after the husband passes.
S1: Yeah. Very good. Well, this is our topic today. We're going to continue to unpack it. We're going to cover a lot of ground today. So you're not going to want to go anywhere. Harlan Ackley here today every call and reverse mortgages gets a copy of his book. Call right now 800 525 7000. We'll be right back.
S3: The opinions offered during this program represent the personal or professional opinions of the participants, given for informational purposes only. Any information provided is not intended to replace advice from a financial, medical, legal, or other professional who understands your specific situation.
S1: Great to have you with us today on Faith and finance live here on Moody Radio. Helping you live as a wise and faithful steward. Manage the money God has entrusted to you. We're talking today about an often misunderstood, uh, tool for financial planning in the retirement season of life, the home equity conversion mortgage. Uh, we've got all the lines full, Harlan. So we're going to head to those calls here in just a moment. But first, uh, you know, one of the questions we often get from folks about a reverse mortgage is how do I receive the money? Uh, there are several options, although I know some are more common than others.
S2: Yes. The most common one is a line of credit, because we don't encourage people to borrow more money than what they need or what they're going to use. So we set up a line of credit of, let's say, $200,000. If somebody only uses $10,000, then that other amount stays there and continues to grow. In fact, that there's more available in the future for whatever is not used. But you can also get a lump sum, which is typically used either to buy a house with a reverse mortgage, or to pay off an existing loan, or to take care of a large remodel cost or something that is necessary for the house. The third way, which is the least common, is getting a monthly check, kind of like a social security check or an annuity payment just deposited into your account every month. So some of these are mixed and matched. They might take out a $50,000 line of $50,000 big chunk, and then take the rest out in a line of credit. It just depends on what situation is we're trying to accomplish. We ask a lot of questions before we make a recommendation on how to use it.
S1: Yeah. Very good. That's really helpful. I think the key to understanding this is to recognize, although you can make a payment at any time, you're just never required to. No matter which of these methods you choose. All right. Let's head to the phones. We'll be going to Chattanooga here in just a minute. But first, Thomas is in Vermont. Hi, Thomas. Go ahead.
S4: Hello? Yes. Um. I'm calling my goal being to be debt free for life. And I'm vigorously considering a reverse mortgage. I am 83 years old. I'm a male with no savings or investments, but I have a nice piece of property that's worth about 180,000, and I have a $45,000 debt, and I have an income of 4200 a month. That's where I'm at, sir. And so I'm looking for advice on this, uh, consideration of reverse mortgage to get out of debt and retire.
S1: Yeah. Very good. Thomas. Uh, Harlan. Your thoughts?
S2: Yes, I really you are very good at distilling a lot in a short period of time. You mentioned that you have no savings and no investments. That is obviously true in other scenarios, but you have a substantial, as you just mentioned, substantial savings in your house. You have $180,000 asset. And in a sense that's a savings account. So what we would do is replace that debt. You still have a debt that is taken care of after you pass, but you're going to be eligible for a little bit more than half of the value of the house. So about 80,000. So we would pay off your existing mortgage, which then takes your mortgage payment to zero. So you don't have to use any of the $4,200 to make that payment and then give you an additional 40 or $50,000 in a line of credit that's available if you need it, for whatever purposes would be in the future. You won't need a lot of it, because obviously now you'll have a zero payment. So the key to being debt free and the reason why we always push for that is because we don't want the payment. Well, fortunately once we get to be 62 You can have a debt without a payment or with an optional payment, and that's what this would allow you to do. And so you could decide every month whether or not you wanted to write a check for the interest or not. But quite frankly, most of the time our clients don't because they can use the money for living, giving and doing other things in their fourth quarter of life. You brought up a perfect example, because most people who are over 62 should not continue to make a mortgage payment if they don't have to. They're better off giving it to their children, their church, um, doing some sort of giving with it instead of just storing it in the house where it accomplishes nothing. Uh, when you do not have to make a payment. So, uh, excellent example, Thomas, for, uh, your call today.
S1: Thanks very much, Thomas. Uh, hang on the line. We'll get you a copy of the book. And if you want to connect with Harlan or get more specific information, just head to Movement.com and let's go to Chattanooga. Hi, Susan. I think you had a comment or a testimony today. Go ahead.
S5: Uh, yes. Um. Can you. Can you hear me? Okay.
S1: I sure can, yes, ma'am.
S5: Okay, great. Great. Uh, one year ago. Um, today, actually, today, I did the reverse mortgage. I'm 81 years old when I did it, and it has been fantastic for me. And, uh, the follow up is what I wanted to mention. I had any little question. It was George that helped me out. And he said, no matter what the question is, you call me, I'll help you. And he has. My question is on the line of credit, does the interest change that you that we accumulate on our line of credit?
S1: Excellent, Susan, thank you for that testimony. And, Harlan, that's a testimony to your team there at, uh, movement. But, uh, go ahead with your thoughts.
S2: Yeah. We're, uh, very glad to hear that. Uh, sure. Glad. And I hear that a lot about George and the rest of our team that, uh, they care about you after they get done, not just during the process. Um, the only interest that's charged is on the amount that you owe, um, and that you've used the line of credit portion, uh, continues to go up at the same rate of interest, giving you more money available to borrow at any time that you want to in the future. You are never charged interest on the amount of money that you're not using, but your line of credit that you're not using does continue to go up at the current rate of interest, which is right now between 6 and 7%. And we're so glad that your client of ours, and we're glad that we can make, uh, your fourth quarter of life just a bit easier.
S1: Susan, is that helpful?
S5: Yeah. Very helpful. I didn't know what what the interest was that went on the line of credit. So that's very helpful.
S1: Excellent. Well, thanks for your call. And thanks for sharing that story. Uh, about the movement team. We're going to stay in Chattanooga. Percy, how can we help you?
S6: Uh. Yes, sir. Um, I retired at 66 and I'm now 73 years old and I do not owe anything on my mortgage. My house is paid for. But I was wondering, uh, if, uh, a reverse mortgage, if I, if it's possible to get a reverse mortgage for my house and how would that all work out? I'm not quite sure.
S1: Yeah. Harlan, we've got about a minute left till our next break. Go ahead.
S2: Okay, so real quick for people that have a mortgage payment, obviously that's eliminated for the people that don't have a mortgage. Well, then we set you up with a line of credit. So the answer is yes. You can get that. We set up a line of credit and then you can use whatever is available. So let's say that you're eligible for, uh, $200,000. We give you that line of credit. You don't pay interest on anything except for what's used and what's needed as you go through, uh, the remaining part of your life. And you never have to worry about making a payment back. It's simply money that's available. So think about it as a savings account. You put money into your house over the years. Now you're just taking some of it out. Not all of it, but some of it. And it's about 40 to 50% that would be available to you of the value of your house.
S1: Excellent. So, Percy, that could be a line of credit. Use it as you need it. It could be a monthly income stream for life. Either would be an option. And again it's non-recourse debt. So the only thing that would ever be needed to satisfy whatever balance is owed at your death or when you move is the equity in the home. Once it's paid from the home sale, then the rest goes to your heirs. If you want to check out more movement.com, hold the line. Percy and Susan as well. I know you're still there. I'd like to get both of you a copy of Harlan's book as our gift to you, so our team will get your information. This is faith and finance live. We'll be right back. Great to have you with us today on Faith and finance live here on Moody Radio, I'm Rob West. You know, each day on this program, we dedicate this hour to coming alongside you to be an encouragement to help you live as a wise and faithful steward, recognizing money as a good gift from God. It's not evil, it's just that the love of money is evil. But when we put it in its proper place as a tool to accomplish God's purposes, it becomes a powerful force for good. And as we work out our money decisions, it's one of the key ways God shapes our spiritual journey as well. It's one of those tangible evidences every day throughout the day of what we value and where we place our trust. And we know you have very practical questions and decisions you're making. And so each day we want to come alongside you in that effort and help you glorify God through the management of the resources entrusted to you. Today, we're focusing on a specific aspect of that your home equity, and perhaps dispelling some myths around the old reverse mortgages of, uh, of the past. And what is, uh, the new form of that which is called a home equity conversion mortgage and often overlooked planning tool in the fourth quarter of life. Harlan is here today, our friend and reverse mortgage expert with movement, mortgage and underwriter of this program. And if you want to learn more from Harlan or his team, just go to movement.com. We're taking your phone calls today as well on this topic, every line full. So we'll move as quickly as we can through these calls. Next to Warren, Ohio. Hi, Ellen. Go ahead.
S5: Hi.
S7: I have a I, um, a kind of strange question. Me and my sister are living in a home that my mom and dad, my dad built it. And both of them have deceased. And I was wondering, how do you get a reverse mortgage when the home is left to your siblings? There's three of us left, and all of us are senior citizens.
S1: Okay, so the home was left to you. Um. Each of you equally as a part of the estate?
S7: Yes, sir.
S1: Okay. Has it been retitled in the name? Equally of of the three children joint tenants with right of survivorship. Or how is it titled deed deeded? Okay.
S7: Each one of us.
S1: All right. Harlan, a little more complex situation. Your thoughts?
S2: Yes. Um, we've actually done several of those scenarios where two sisters or, uh, we did once with, um, three brothers that were living together in the farm home that they received from their parents. Um, uh, now, did you say that it's left to three of you children. Uh, Ellen. But is there only two of you living there, or are all three living there?
S7: Right. Two of us are living here.
S2: Okay.
S7: Um, the other one and the other one is not living here is executor of everything. The will.
S2: Okay. So, um, when it comes down to is reverse. Mortgage can be done on any property that you own when you're over 62 and when you live there. So it doesn't matter if there's other people on the title, it's just that your other sibling would have to be okay with, uh, you doing a reverse mortgage to keep you and your sister in the house. Uh, what also happens in many cases is some money is taken out of the reverse mortgage to pay any of the siblings who are not going to benefit from living in the house. So it depends on your arrangement. A little bit more complex, but the the quick answer is it certainly can be done. And we've done that many times before. It just has to be worked out in accordance with what the Will says. And with, uh, all three of the people that now own the house. Um, but I would certainly be happy to discuss that further. Um, as, uh, Rob mentioned, if you go to Movement.com and, uh, will call and just kind of sort out how that could be done and how it would be fair to everyone that is involved. But that isn't anything that, um, is not something that can't be done, even though it's a little bit unusual. Um, it doesn't have to be a husband and wife that live there. It's anybody that's over 62, sometimes a mother and daughter. Uh, do a reverse mortgage or, in your situation, two sisters. Uh. That's fine. It just has to be the age requirement of over 62.
S1: Yeah, and it sounds like just getting permission from all three since there's three on the deed. Does that make sense, Ellen?
S7: Yes, it does, but what if the one that, um, end up dying last or whatever don't want the home?
S2: Well, we encourage people to make plans, whether it's going to a church, whether it's going to another relative. Um, we don't determine that whatever is left at the end goes to whoever your heirs are. So we encourage you to put something in place just like your parents did. Saying this is who gets the house when we pass. And then when the last person passes away, we follow those instructions based on what was left behind.
S7: And they would pay for everything that's left behind.
S2: Well, whatever is used, let's go ahead and say the house is worth. Let's say the house is worth 400,000 and you've used 200,000. Well, the remaining 200,000 is going to go to whoever inherits the house at the end, whether it's a church, a foundation, a relative, whatever that situation is. Then if they sell the house, they would just pay the difference and then receive whatever is left over. But they would have no obligation to pay the debt. They could only gain, not lose, if it's left to a relative or a church.
S7: Okay, I appreciate that.
S1: You're welcome. Thanks for your call. Hang on the line. We'll get you a copy of Harlan's book, just as a way of saying thanks for calling today. Let's go to Florida. Hi, Scott. How can we help, sir?
S8: Hey, Harlan. Hey, Rob. I appreciate you taking my call. Sure. I just got a quick question for you. Um, so my parents, it's similar to the previous caller, but my parents, um, have just got a reverse mortgage. About a year ago, and they, uh, just, you know, to help them with their retirement. And I know that, um, well, they're in their 80s, and I know that when they pass, I mean, I'm hoping they live to be over 100, but when they pass, they're going to pass that house on to me and my sister. And so, um, I was wondering how that works when there's a reverse mortgage, because it's basically just a home equity line of credit that needs to be paid off at some point. So would we both share that debt? How would that work?
S1: Yeah. Harlan. Just 30s. Go ahead.
S2: Okay. Yes. Uh, you're not responsible for the debt. Whatever's left comes to you, and you have about a year to work that out after mom and dad are gone, so it's not complicated. You inherit the house. We talk to you about how that's going to be handled and when you're going to sell it, or if you're going to refinance the mortgage into your name. But it's good. The money belongs to you. If it's bad, FHA pays the bill.
S1: Yeah. The bottom line is it's just like a forward mortgage. Whatever balance is owed would be paid by either selling it or refinancing it. And you get what's left. Hang on the line, Scott. We'll be right back on faith and finance live. This is faith in finance. Live. I'm Rob West boy. A great opportunity over the next week if you become a faith VI partner before the end of the month. Those are men and women who support the ministry. At $35 a month or more, you will get not only the current partner package, which includes our 21 day devotional, look at the sparrows and issue one of faithful steward with the theme living Rich toward God. But then you'll turn around and get the second package that's going to start going out in the month of May, which is our brand new study, wisdom Over Wealth 12 Lessons on Money from the Book of Ecclesiastes. A deep dive into that incredible book in God's Word. Uh, also issue two of Faithful Steward, uh, The Pursuit of Wisdom with some incredible articles that I think will really be an encouragement to you. Two issues of the magazine and two, well, one study and one devotional. Uh, when you become a partner before August the 30th. So go ahead and do that today. If you love the ministry, you've been helped by the broadcast and you want to, uh, become one of the key pieces of helping us to fund this listener supported work, you just head to faith. Com and click give Faith Philly.com and click give right there at the top of the page. Uh, with us today, Harlan Aguilar, our good friend. He's a reverse mortgage expert. Every call today on reverse mortgages gets a copy of Harlan's book. It's just our way of saying thanks for being on the broadcast today. Let's head right back to the phones. Indiana is where we're headed next. Hi, Melvin. How can we help, sir?
S9: Hey, how are you guys doing? Thank you so much for what you do. Thank you. Uh, I, I filed for bankruptcy about three years ago. My house was worth about 125,000. And so I'm wondering how that will affect me trying to get a reverse mortgage.
S1: Yeah. Harlan. Not just, uh, right down the middle today. Some a little more challenging questions. Go ahead with this one.
S2: Yes. Um, well, the good thing is, is that, uh, unlike a regular mortgage, uh, reverse mortgages do not evaluate bankruptcies and credit in the same way. In fact, we don't even look at your credit score. Uh, we really give you, uh, immediate, fresh chance and a fresh start. Um, some companies require a two year wait. We we do not. We go through the factors to make sure that we can help you. that this isn't going to create a problem for you again in the future, and that you're not going to have any problem paying your taxes and your insurance, because that's still required. You still own your house. But, um, the, uh, the very, uh, short answer is yes, you would be eligible. Um, there are some requirements if you're buying a house with a reverse mortgage where, uh, you're not eligible for at least two years, but when you are staying in your current house, you would be eligible, um, as soon as your bankruptcy was cleared and was discharged. So, um, you know, we don't look at you differently. You don't pay a higher rate of interest, you don't get less money. You're treated just the same as other people. And, uh, we can certainly work through this with you, because sometimes people go bankrupt because they don't have enough income. And we can make sure that it never happens again. And we work together with a lot of people that have run into some rough patches in the road and fell in the ditch and get them out and make sure that they're on the highway to a better situation. So, um, thank you for calling in that, Melvin. Uh, we are help to you, and we do not look at your credit score, and we we wipe away that, uh, that tarnish on your credit.
S1: Excellent. Melvin Movement.com is where you can learn more. Stay on the line. We'll send you a copy of Harlan's book. Just a small way of saying thanks for being on the broadcast today. Uh. Let's see. To Illinois. Rhonda. Go ahead.
S10: Hi, Rob. Thank you guys real quick. Yes, ma'am. My question. I have two questions. I think you answered one because I heard you say that 62 is the age that you need to be to get a reverse mortgage. Is that correct?
S1: Yes. That's right.
S11: Well, that's that's true. Well, go ahead, Harlan.
S2: We do have mortgages in Illinois, not in all states, but Illinois is one of the states that we do where we can go down to the age of 55 with some special, uh, mortgages. They're not available in every state, but they are in Illinois. But 62 is the most common age. Yes, ma'am.
S10: Okay, well, that's good because I'm 62. My husband is about a couple of years younger. Both of our names are on the house. We don't have any children, and we do need to, um. We've been in the house. The second question was, how long do we need to be in the house in order to apply for a reverse mortgage? Is that a factor?
S2: It is not. If you, uh, sometimes people inherit the house or, uh, if they've just purchased a house with cash or whatever, you're eligible. If you're the house for one day, there is no seasoning requirement like there are some mortgages.
S10: Okay. So that's it's sounding good. I wanted to also, uh, Harlan, thanks for his call because his situation is somewhat similar to my husband's and I's. He just got discharged, and I'll be discharged in a couple of months, so I was wondering if that would be a factor as well. And you said it was not. So if we were to reach out to the website, then that would be how we get help. And then would you just take our mortgage from our credit union? How does that work?
S2: We would. Yes. Uh, the the we have to be in first position. We have to be the only mortgage. Um, and so we take a look at eliminating that other payment. Um, because obviously that was reaffirmed in the bankruptcy, we'd have to make sure that the percentages is high enough to be able to do that. But we'll be able to help you with that if you just reach out to Movement.com and take a look and do the calculation.
S1: Rhonda, thanks for your call today. Stay on the line. We'll also send you a copy of the book just as an encouragement to you. Thanks for being on the broadcast. Uh, we're going to stay in Illinois. Northbrook. Hi, Paula. Go ahead.
S12: Hi, Rob. Thank you for your program. I love it, and I've been listening for a long, long time, and I feel like it's wonderful. Um. I'm happy you're talking about this today. I brought this up to my daughter. Um, I'm a widow, and I work, um, some side jobs, like taking care of dogs and elderly. I kind of help give people rides and that kind of stuff. But I'm retired, and my retirement and my Social security does not cover a lot of the things. Like, I need a new car, I need rug, I need a new carpet or whatever. But I'm living in a house that's been paid for for a long time, 11 years. So I my daughter doesn't seem to all. She just doesn't seem to have a good, um, she hasn't gotten enough information, I think because it seems like reverse mortgage. You say that and your loved ones say, well, no, I don't think that's for you. Well, she's got her own home, and it's. She doesn't need mine, and she'll have insurance, um, when I die. Life insurance. So I don't understand why she has such a negative, you know, thing about this, but how can I help her to see that it would be a good thing?
S2: Well, I'm so glad you asked that question, because 20 years ago, I was one of those people that said, no, they're bad, don't get one. They're awful because I didn't know any better. I was simply ignorant of some of the facts. I didn't understand it and I was helped by the facts. Almost always, we do a call with you and your children, you and your daughter. We want them to know what's going on because she's just looking out for you. She's just concerned because she's heard bad things about reverse mortgages. A lot of people have. And and they just don't understand what's there. And usually when we explain all of those answers, when they care about you, I mean, obviously there's some people that just care about themselves and they want a big inheritance from their parents. But I don't think that's your daughter. She's just trying to protect you. And so uh, we have, uh, a common, uh, goal to just work with you and your daughter so that she understands exactly what's going on. And she's right to be asking questions and being concerned about helping you. And she can, of course, read my book, but it might be quicker just to have a phone call and for us to talk together.
S1: Yeah. Very good. And, Rhonda, you know, to our point earlier, there are a lot of misconceptions around these loans. And in particular, it's for good reason, because the loans in the past were much different than those today. As Harlan said, if he was dealing with the loans of the past, he wouldn't touch him. Stay on the line. We'll get you a copy of this book. Go to movement.com as well if you want to talk further. We'll be right back. Thanks for joining us today on Faith in finance live here on Moody Radio. I'm Rob West. We're taking your calls and questions today. The lines have been all jammed up. There's a lot of questions on this topic of reverse mortgages, which is why we're delighted to have our good friend Harlan Akula with us today. He's an expert on the topic with movement mortgage and underwriter of this program. And, Harlan, you know, I think these questions just really surface where we started today, this idea that there are just so many misconceptions, we want to head back to the phones. But what do you think is is top of that list in terms of the misconceptions about these types of loans?
S2: The thing is that people just think that they're going to lose their house. They've worked their whole life, they own the house, and now the bank takes the house. I've heard that hundreds of times. And it's they need to look at it just like they do with the IRA. They've got a $300,000 IRA, and they're going to use some of it. And if they don't use it all, they still have it. They can still give it to their children or the church or whatever their plans are. And they don't lose ownership. They don't lose control. They're guaranteed to live in their house for the rest of their life. And that is a thing that is the peace of mind that I have that my wife has. If something happens to me. And that's what we really want to share with everyone that's listening to this, is that you're not in danger. Some debt is very dangerous. And what's really dangerous is having a mortgage payment until you're 95 years old. This takes the danger and creates safety. That you can live in your house without having to worry about making a payment. Other than, of course, your taxes and insurance, which are going to be required even if you have your house paid off.
S1: Yeah, that's exactly right. That's really helpful. All right. Let's get to as many questions as we can between now and the end of the program. Uh, to West Palm Beach. Hi, Grace. How can we help?
S13: Hi. Good afternoon, Rob and Harley. My question is, I. We just finished paying off the house, and I'm interested very much in the reverse mortgage. And I was wondering, how does that work?
S11: Yeah.
S1: Very good. Harlan, a quick overview.
S2: Uh, sure. So just think about this. What you did is you deposited a whole bunch of money in an account that's called your house account. It's inside of your house. It's in in the form of equity. So you know that you have home equity and whatever your house is worth, let's just say it's worth $400,000, $400,000 deposited in that account. We will give you a line of credit or a monthly check, whichever makes the most sense for you, that allows you to access some of the money that's literally sitting in your living room. And if you take out so much a month for life, you could set it up that way. Just kind of like a Social Security check. Or you can just set up a line of credit that when you need a car, you need to get a new water heater or something else comes along. We just create that money availability because you've already paid it in to your house. We just make it available for you to take it back out, which is like any other account. We just create a savings account, so to speak, that you can draw on that can be deposited into your checking account whenever you need it, whenever you asked for it within five days. It's really, quite frankly, that simple. And a lot of people just kind of get all nervous about it, like they're selling their house. You're not. You are 100% owning your house. We're just giving you some of that money. And it's usually between 30 to 50% of the value of your house, depending upon your age. But you're always going to get at least 30%, sometimes 50 or 60%, based on your age.
S11: Yeah. Very good.
S13: I'm sorry. And I can also take and use that to remodel the house to rent it out.
S2: Absolutely. Sometimes people remodel the house and they get more of a value out of the house than what it was even worth beforehand. And sometimes you can put $20,000 into the house and it goes up in value, $30,000, depending upon where you put the money. But whether your house goes up in value or not, that's not an issue. It just makes sense to use your house to pay for your house. Some people use the money to pay for some of their taxes. Uh, and certainly they use it for, um. For repairs, for remodels, uh, new siding, whatever it is that, uh, the house needs so that you don't have to worry about that. Especially big things like roof, uh, getting a roof or, um, doing, uh, something that is just really expensive. That's not going to be a easy to take care of out of a Social Security or your regular budget. So that's a very wise use of your funds to be using it for that.
S1: Is that helpful, grace?
S13: More than you ever know. Thank you so much I appreciate you.
S1: All right. Stay on the line, Grace. We'll send you a copy of this book. Uh, I think it'll answer any additional questions you might have. Uh, let's see. West Virginia is where we're headed next. Hi, Linda. Go ahead.
S14: Thank you. I had questions about if you did a reverse mortgage, um, and you were, um, then on Medicaid or Medicare And what would happen with that reverse mortgage? And then what would happen to that reverse mortgage if you did die?
S1: Yeah.
S11: Harlan.
S2: Yeah. So I guess we could probably spend an hour. I actually did an hour for some elder law attorney groups. There's about 200 elder law attorneys, and we talked for an hour about Medicaid and reverse mortgages a few years ago. The fact is, is that to make it really simple, this protects you to be able to use money without disqualifying you for Medicaid, as long as you don't take out a lump sum and put it into the account. It is not called due. It protects you to be able to use that income to have that income, especially if a spouse goes into a nursing home and you are back in the house. It prevents liens from being placed on the house that takes away the house or the use of the money from the community spouse that's left in the home. So if there is most people don't want to go to a nursing home. Some people use money to be able to stay in their house so they don't have to worry about that. Um, the second question is, when you pass away, whatever plans you have for the house, it goes to your children, goes to a church, goes to a relative. Whatever the situation is, they simply need to pay off the amount of the loan when they sell the house. But, uh, it's something that they can never owe more money than what the house is worth. If they're selling it at a bad time or things don't go well, uh, when they're selling the home. But usually there's more than enough money left to whoever you've left behind. So some great questions. But when it comes to long term care, huge subject. And you may have some more questions that relate to your personal situation. I just talked to somebody that he's been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, um, and early onset. And there I spent an hour going over with them what their options are. So there can be very specific individual things. Be happy to cover that more in detail with anyone that's listening, because that's one of the biggest fears, biggest concerns, biggest expenses is long term care that can happen at the end of life.
S1: Is that helpful for you?
S14: Yes. Um, may I ask this question?
S11: Sure.
S14: What if you wanted the house to stay in the family and not sell it?
S2: That's always an option at the end. Uh, some people refinance the loan to a regular mortgage. Uh, some kids turn it into an Airbnb. Sometimes a grandchild wants to buy it. We always go to your executor. Uh, whoever is the person that's taking care of things and said, what do you want to do? Do you want to keep the house? Do you want to sell it? We do not get the house at the end. Everybody thinks the bank takes the house at the end. We simply have a lien on the property and we help whoever the survivors are, whoever the heirs are, to decide what they want to do with the house. And then the decision is made from there based on your will and based on, uh, the what the executor is carrying out at the end of your life.
S14: Perfect. Thank you very much for that information.
S11: All right.
S1: Thank you for your call today, Linda. We appreciate you being on the program. Uh, let's see, we're going to finish up today in Alabama. Penny. Go right ahead.
S15: What are the costs associated with the reverse mortgage?
S11: Yeah.
S1: Great question Harlan.
S2: Yeah, that's an important thing because, uh, a reverse mortgage has two costs. It's two simple costs. One is the initial, uh, closing costs. Uh, and the second thing is the ongoing interest, uh, which you always have the option to pay if you wish. Most people don't because they're doing this for cash flow. Um, but, uh, just think about normal interest. You get a statement every month. Let's say you have $50,000 and the interest rate is 7%, which is higher than what it is right now. But let's just say it's 7%. Well, that's $3,500 a month, or roughly somewhere around 250 to $300 a month. Um, and then you make the decision on that, but you don't have to pay it until the end, but you always know where you're at. So that's one cost that is, uh, interest. That is like any other loan. It's just that you don't have to pay it until a year after you're dead, which is obviously some unusual terms. The other cost is the upfront cost, which is the same as any other mortgage, except for one thing. Uh, you'll have the normal cost of mortgage. Um, you know, your, uh, title insurance, your appraisal and so on. But there's one other cost that is a guarantee fee insurance, mortgage insurance premium which guarantees that you can live in the house till you're 150. Never can there be anything that is owed, um, by your heirs over and above the value of the house. And that is a 2% fee. That is a one time cost. All of the rest of the costs are added into the interest rate at the end. There is no monthly fee or anything else. Um, but realize I'm really glad you asked that question, because every form of retirement income has a cost. Uh, annuities cost money. Life insurance cost money. It costs money to manage money. Um, and this is pretty much on par with any of those things. There's that extra guarantee fee to make sure that you never have to worry about moving, and you never have to worry about leaving a debt behind for your children.
S11: Hmm.
S1: Does that cover it for you, penny?
S15: Yes.
S1: Okay. Thank you for calling today. Stay on the line. We'll get you a copy of Harlan's book. And I think that might answer any further questions you have. Harlan, we're about out of time today. Tie a bow on this for us. What do we need to finish with?
S2: Well, yes, I'm glad that that we kind of ended up in a cost, because that's one thing that I want everybody to know is that we answer these questions very quickly within a few minutes, but we always spend at least an hour with our clients, and even the first initial call before we ever agree to do a reverse mortgage for someone, we ask a lot of questions to make sure that it fits in, that it's going to help them, that it's not going to cost them. And we do a lot of analysis before we ever go to any direction. So they don't have to be afraid of us just trying to sell them something. But we do a lot of consultation beforehand. So thanks so much for the opportunity to shed some light on this very important subject.
S1: Absolutely. Thanks for being here, my friend. God bless you. We'll have you back again real soon. That's Harlan Accola with Movement Mortgage and underwriter of this program. To learn more, go to movement.com. That's COVID-19. Back with another edition tomorrow. Hope you'll join us then. Faith and finance a partnership between Moody Radio and Faith fi. Have a great night. Bye bye.