S1: Today on Bold Steps with Mark Jobe. We're learning to make some noise for the Lord.
S2: I believe there's a whole world out there. Most of them are not asking themselves, what must I do to be saved? They haven't seen people live out their faith in such a way that makes them wonder, what do you have that I don't have? That makes them come to you and say, tell me. I want to have what you have. What must I do to be saved like you're saved.
S1: Welcome to Bold Steps with Mark Jobe. Mark is founding pastor of New Life Community Church in Chicago. I'm Wayne Shepherd. When things are going well in our lives, it's easy to be noisy about God's goodness. But what happens when you're in a trial or a circumstance that is less than ideal? What then? Well, that's the topic we'll address today. This message comes from our series relentless, and it's all about learning to press on when the pressure is on. So if you have your Bible, let's open it together to acts chapter 16. Mark will be reading through verses 11 through 34 in a message titled Make some Noise.
S2: I think that the world makes a lot more noise sometimes than the church makes. I've told you this before, but I have men that come to church and say, well, pastor, you know, I'm not really a singer shouter. I'm not. I'm just not a very emotional person. So when we're like praising, I just don't I just sit there like this because I'm kind of reserved. They'll tell me that in church and then I'll see him at a bears game. There shouting, screaming, have their face painted, screaming at the top of their lungs, shouting, jumping up and down. I'm like, hey, what happened to the reserved man? It's not that you're reserved. It's what you get excited about. You've learned to get pumped up about the the the message of a sports team. But what hasn't grasped you is to make get excited about the message that can transform people's lives for eternity and change the destiny of people and cities around. My goal is for some of you just to start making some noise in the right direction. So jot this down. The sound of praise. Our most powerful sound is the voice of praise lifted up from the dark moments of life. You see, the Bible says that they put Paul and Silas in prison. They flogged them, put them in the deepest prison, and in the middle of their hardest time, their darkest moment, their most difficult season, they decide to make some noise. And it's not the noise of complaining. Oh, God, where were you? How come this has happened to us? We're trying to follow you and we're in prison. They decide in their darkest moment to make some noise of praise. So they, with their chains on their legs and their backs bloody, they decide to start singing a little bit. They just start to to lift up their voice and to praise the King of Kings and the Lord of lords. And I'm sure when they first started, their voices were a little crackly. But you know, when you get to singing, then suddenly the energy comes in and you get into it and they're doing a duo in that prison. They're both just singing. And the Bible says that all the prisoners stop and start listening to them. Why? Because there's something compelling about the voice of praise in the middle of a dark moment. That's called a sacrifice of praise. Now, many of us are used to the reaction of praise. That's easy. You go to work and the boss tells you you've been just given a promotion and a raise and it's Hallelujah. Thank you Jesus. Whoa! God is so good. That's a reaction of praise. It's a reaction. You're waiting for a diagnosis from the hospital about that lump that you weren't sure was benign or malignant. And the doctor report comes back and says, no, it's just benign. There's no operation. You don't have to worry about it. It's, oh, Lord, you're so good. Oh, hallelujah. I just feel like praising and thanking you. That's a reaction of praise. A sacrifice of praise comes at our dark moment. It comes when instead of the doctor saying, no, it's benign. He says it's malignant, and we think it's stage four. And then when you hear that news and you say, blessed be the name of the Lord God Almighty because he's sovereign and in control and he's still Jehovah Rapha. I entrust myself to you. That's a sacrifice of praise. A sacrifice of praise is when you get a bad report from your job and say, no, I think you're going to get the pink slip here. And you say, thank you, Lord, because you are Jehovah Jireh, the God that provides all my needs according to your riches and glory. And I still bless your name. And ultimately, you're in charge of my finances, God and not my boss. So I lift up a praise to your name, God. That's a sacrifice of praise. You see, it's in the middle of your dark moment when you start praising that people listen because anybody can praise when things are good. It's when things are bad and ugly and difficult and challenging and the pressure's on. Then when you praise, people start listening to your praise. They listen to the sound that you make. The Bible tells us in Hebrews chapter 13, verses 15 through 16. Through Jesus, through whom Jesus. Because without the supernatural empowerment of Jesus, you would never be able to do it through Jesus. Therefore, anytime you see the word therefore in the Bible, you have to ask yourself, what is it there for? Therefore, is the is a preposition that ties together the previous thought to the next thought that's coming through Jesus. Therefore, because of Jesus, you can do this without the Jesus. You cannot do this through Jesus. Therefore, what can we do through Jesus? Let us continually, continually means that this goes on and on without interruption or break. It means a constant flow that is uninterrupted. Through Jesus. Therefore, let us continually, without interruption, not stopping. Offer to God a sacrifice. Say it together with me. Sacrifice a sacrifice of praise. Sacrifice of praise. It's not a sacrifice unless it's hard to give. If it's easy to give, it's a. If it's a reaction. It's not a sacrifice. When it's hard, it's a sacrifice. When it costs me something, it's a sacrifice. When I have to wrestle to give it. It's a sacrifice when I have to say, oh, I don't know if I can give it. I don't know if I can. Then it's a sacrifice. When I have to go contrary to my natural reaction, then it's a sacrifice when when I have to pay a price to give it, then it's a sacrifice. So I need to continually offer a sacrifice of praise. And what is a sacrifice of praise? He defines it, the fruit of my lips, openly professing his name. It's the fruit of my lips saying, you, Jesus, are the one. Thank you father, because you are the one. I give glory and honor to you. Even though it's difficult in this circumstance and this trial. But I still lift up my voice and I bless your name and give you the honor that you deserve, even though it's hard. It's a sacrifice of praise. The next sound that I hear is not only the singing of Paul and Silas, but the next sound that I hear is the sound of freedom. You see, our praise sets in motion an opportunity for God to show his power. An atmosphere of faith provides an opportunity for God to show up and manifest his power. So as they fill their cell with praise and thanksgiving and singing, they turn their cell into a little home group. And what happens as soon as you start praising in the middle of a dark moment, is that you start changing the culture of the crisis that you're in. And it says, about midnight, Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them. And then suddenly you hear another noise, because I believe the sound of praise invites the sound of God. Oh, I wish you could hear me today, because this is really important. I believe that the sound of praise incites The sound of God. Have you ever seen a baby that starts crying? If you look at dads, they're just kind of like, hey, the baby's crying. But there's something about the reaction of a mother when she hears a baby crying. Every fiber in her being is activated by the cry of a baby. It. It awakens something inside of her, something irresistible. Something like. I cannot say no. She cannot listen to her baby cry without responding to it. Because the cry of a baby awakens something within a mother. The sacrifice of praise awakens something in the heart of God that cannot be ignored on earth. The sacrifice of praise does something to the heart of God. It awakens every fiber of his being. It calls the Holy Spirit into that place. It causes the presence of God. That's the kind of voice that brings the motion and commitment of God. It's when we sacrifice praise in the middle of our difficulty, it invokes the presence of God. It causes the attention of God to zoom in on what's happening there. And the Bible says as they were singing. Then suddenly in verse 26, there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open and everyone's chains came loose. The jailer woke up, and when he saw that the prison doors were open, he drew his sword and was about to kill himself because he thought that the prisoners had escaped. But Paul shouted, do not harm yourself! Do you see what's happening here? You see, the sound of praise is bringing about the reaction of God. And now. And now you hear the sound of freedom. What does freedom sound like? It sounds. Chains dropping, doors opening. God. Setting something in motion. Uh, what does it sound like? Let me tell it again. It sounds like chains breaking doors, opening bars bending. Why? Because the sound of praise triggered the response of God.
S1: You're listening to Bold Steps with Mark Jobe, and we'll continue in a moment. But I want to make sure you know where to go. If you ever miss one of these daily lessons. That's our website, Bold steps.org. And there you'll find all of Mark's teachings, along with several other resources and opportunities to grow in your faith. And then we'd also love for you to connect with us on social media, whether you're on Facebook, Instagram, or YouTube or all three. You can find us by searching for Bold Steps Radio, click the Follow or subscribe button and you'll get daily encouragement. Short clips from Mark and a growing community of listeners right there on your feed. We also read every comment and message that comes our way. So we'd love to hear from you. And don't forget, we do read every card, letter, email, or social media message we receive. Your stories and comments and posts are what helps to keep us motivated and to connect with us online, visit bold steps.org or reach out on our Facebook or Instagram. Again, you'll find us listed as Bold Steps Radio, and we look forward to hearing from you real soon. Now let's get back to our message here again as pastor Mark Jobe.
S2: I heard one preacher say one time that Paul and Silas were singing in the prison, and God was so into their song that he started tapping his foot like, yeah, I like that. And when God started tapping his foot, then suddenly the earth started shaking. And the more he tapped his foot, the more the earth started shaking and quaking. And pretty soon liberation came because God was into their music. A sacrifice of praise draws the reaction of God. It leads me to my third point here. Not only were they set free, but when the jailer woke up, he was about to kill himself. Because under the Roman law, if you let a prisoner escape, it was a life for a life. And so he thought, the prisoners have escaped. I'm going to kill myself. And Paul shouts, do not harm yourself. We're still here. Number three, I hear the sound of surrender. Our freedom opens the doors for the Word of God to be heard loudly. So now this jailer that's seeing what God has done is about to kill himself. Paul says, stop! And this jailer sees God intervene in crisis. And when he sees, hears their praise and sees God intervene in crisis, he is actually moved and hears the sound of God calling his own life. Let me tell you something. I know some of you like to have a victory testimony to share. But some of your most powerful testimonies won't be from the mountaintop. Some of your most powerful testimonies will be from the Valley. You say, I really want my family to hear the word. I wish they would listen to me. I hope they see how good my life is going, and then they're going to listen to me. But, you know, sometimes it doesn't work that way. Sometimes your most powerful message is when things are going bad, when life is terrible. And then suddenly your family is looking at you and they see the strength of your heart, the perseverance of your character. And they're saying to myself, if I were in that situation, I'd be falling apart. Look at them. What is it that's sustaining them? What is it that's holding? And when they ask you. Then suddenly you begin to share Jesus with them. And for the first time in their life, they listen to your message because it's being spoken from the place of trial. And so. He sees what God does. This jailer. And I love his response. He, he comes to Paul and Silas and he says to them, sirs, what must I do to be saved? Now that's spiritual openness. That is someone that's hungry for God. What caused them to be hungry for God? He saw the deliverance of God. He saw God move in the midst of their crisis. He saw God spare them. He saw God at work in two people that were prisoners, broken, beaten. And he saw how God was in the midst of their crisis. And because God was in the midst of the crisis, even though they hadn't escaped. And listen, the Bible tells us that they let them go the next day. God knew that they were let him going to let him go the next day, but he still caused the earthquake to happen to open up the doors of their jail cell. Why? Because God cared for this Philippian jailer. This Philippian jailer needed to see Paul and Silas in crisis. And then he fell on his knees and said, what must I do to be saved? Listen to me. I believe there's a whole world out there. Most of them are not asking themselves, what must I do to be saved because they haven't seen a believer survive crisis. They haven't seen strong faith that doesn't give up. They haven't seen people live out their faith in such a way that makes them wonder, what do you have that I don't have that makes them come to you and say, tell me. I want to have what you have. What must I do to be saved like you're saved? And then I love the response. And lastly, number four. The sound of splashing. You see, the Word of God has the power to affect the destiny of our entire household. They replied to him, believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved and your whole household. That's the shortest synopsis of the gospel in all of Scripture, I believe. Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your entire household. You say, pastor, is it as simple as that? Yeah, it's as simple as that. Now, what does it mean to believe? I believe that he's the Son of God. I believe that he's God himself. I believe that he came to this earth. I believe that he died on the cross. I believe that he rose again on the third day. I believe that he's the only mediator between man and God. I believe that Jesus has power to forgive my sins. That's what it means to believe. Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved. And he spoke and said, yet thou shalt be saved, and thy entire household. And then they spoke the word of God to him, and all of the others in his house. And at that hour of the night the jailer took them, washed their wounds. Then right after, then it says something, do you see what it says? And then immediately say it out loud with me immediately. What does immediately mean? It means right away. It means as soon as he made the decision and then immediately as soon when was it? What time was it after midnight? Two in the morning. Wait at night? We're there in a church service. No, no, they weren't in a church service. They were just after a major crisis in someone's house. The gospel is presented. And then immediately. What did they do? He and all his household were not baptized. You say? Well, pastor, I gave my life to Jesus five years ago. I've just been waiting for the right timing and I'm I'm sort of building up to it. I'm a little afraid of water. I want to get my testimony. Hold on, hold on. What part of. Immediately have you not understood? Seriously, if you are a follower of Jesus Christ today and have given your life to Jesus Christ, there is no reason that you shouldn't be taking the step of believer's baptism immediately. When he heard the gospel and received immediately him and his whole household were baptized. I love that. I don't know if you're the only one in your household today that's following God. Listen, God loves you so much that he chose you to be the first. Oh, I know it feels lonely sometimes. I know it feels like they don't understand. Sometimes I know that maybe they call you the Holy roller or the Jesus freak. Or maybe they laugh at you. And when are you going to come back? And when are you going to get over this phase? But let me tell you, God loves you so much that he entrusted you to be the first in your family to come to know Jesus. Stand in that position and don't let go of it, because you now have become the funnel through which the rest of your family can experience the blessing and the splash of God upon them. Don't give up. Don't get discouraged. Don't be dissuaded. Stand in that place and say, God, I'm believing you for the rest of my family. I want my whole family to come to Jesus. I want all my family to experience the power of God. But it has to start with one. It's gotta start with one.
S3: It has to start with one. Just two weeks ago, a father went to a men's retreat and gave his life to Christ. And on Sunday I saw him with a young lady sitting next to him. It was his 22 year old daughter. And he said, she's never been to church. She's new here. At the end of the service, he was crying and I said, what's wrong? And he pointed over and his 22 year old daughter was giving her life to Christ.
S1: My goodness.
S3: Wow. And so I want to encourage you. You can't save your relatives, your husband, your kids, your wife. But as you follow Jesus and begin to pray earnestly for them, I believe they have a much, much better chance to come to Jesus because they're related to you. So be encouraged. Don't give up. I've seen people intercede for decades and finally see a breakthrough. So I want to encourage you. Your family is blessed because you know the Lord and you are a part of that family.
S1: All right. Thank you, Mark. And if you would like to learn more about drawing closer to Christ, let me invite you to go online to bold steps.org. Find the more tab and then click on the link that says My Next Step in Faith. There you'll find a helpful video from pastor Mark laying out what it means to really follow Jesus day by day, and what you can do to take that bold step of faith. This month we have a resource we'd love to put into your hands. It's our bold step gift, a book called The Case for Faith by Lee Strobel. Just as Paul and Silas made a sound that others couldn't ignore. This book gives you a faith that can speak clearly and confidently to the toughest questions the world is asking. Lee Strobel investigates eight major barriers to belief, including the problem of suffering, the challenge of silence and exclusivity of Christ. And he delivers thoughtful, honest, research backed answers for every one of them. Request your copy today. When you give a gift of any amount to support this ministry. Visit us online at bold steps.org/give or call us at 800 DL. Moody, that's (800) 356-6639. And you can also send your gift and request Lee's book in the mail when you write to us at Bold Steps, 820 North LaSalle Boulevard, Chicago, Illinois. 606 ten. Now, if you've been listening for a while in these daily messages have made a difference in your life, we'd love for you to consider becoming one of our bold partners. A bold partner is someone who commits to a monthly gift of any amount, and through these faithful contributions, we're able to bring the Bible teaching of bold steps to new listeners across the country and around the world, including listening groups in Malawi, Africa. Your giving has a reach that goes far beyond what you might imagine when you commit to a monthly gift of $30 or more. We'll send you a signed copy of Mark's book, unstuck out of your cave and into your call, plus a 50% discount on any item in the Moody Publishers catalog and exclusive access to The Bold Partner. Post Mark's personal video update just for partners to sign up today, just visit bold steps.org. I'm Wayne Sheppard, wishing you a noisy, faith filled week. Join us tomorrow when Mark begins a message on pressing forward toward our spiritual goals that's pressing toward the goal. Coming up Tuesday here on Bold Steps with Mark Joan, Bold Steps is a production of Moody Radio, a Ministry of Moody Bible Institute.