S1: The mailbag questions have piled up. So we're going to empty the inbox today. That's right. It's an all mailbag, all the time episode of Open Line. We've got the questions you've sent us about the Bible, God and the spiritual life, and we're getting ready to address them. So hang tight. We're going to get into those in just a moment. Hello, everyone. Welcome to Open Line with Michael Ray Moody Radio's Bible Study Across America. My name is Michael Ray. I'm professor of Jewish studies and Bible at Moody Bible Institute, also the academic dean here. I'm here today and every Saturday to do my best to answer your questions about the scriptures. Normally, the bulk of this program is your phone calls and your questions. It's still your questions, but no phone calls today. Today it's all mailbag all the time. The best way to be in touch with us is via our website openline. radio.org. That's Openline radio.org. That page has links to anything you might need, whether it's email or Facebook, whatever you're looking for, it's right there. There's even something really significant. It says Ask Michael a question. You click on that, fill out the form and you can post a question for future mailbags. Joining me today in person is the person I turn to when I have a question about the scriptures. She's my favorite Bible teacher, my favorite Bible student, my favorite colleague on the faculty of MBI, a contributor to the Moody Bible Commentary. And she is also happens. She also happens to be my wife, Eva. Right? Delnické Eva. So glad we're studying together today.
S2: Michael. It's so fun to be here. Yeah, I'm glad you're here. It's great.
S1: Uh, also joining us is the producer of Open Line. The person who makes everything happen and the one who put together the mailbag for today. Tricia McMillan. Hey, Tricia.
S2: Hello.
S1: Wow. Here we are. This is the famous threesome. Here we are. The three of us together, studying the Bible together. I think that's just so much fun. Yeah, it's a great way to start.
S2: Great way to start the day. Just a little Bible study.
S1: And it's also fun. You know, I was out a little bit. And so, uh, a number of things have come up. Questions have happened, people sent them in. We might as well deal with it and try and, you know, get the spindle reduced a little bit or empty the inbox a little bit, don't you think? Absolutely. So many, so many questions. Tricia, how do you keep up with all these?
S2: Not as well as I should. Or as well as I wish, I wish I would.
S1: Wow. Well, you know, these are fun. And they're really. Some of them are very unique questions we've never seen before.
S2: Yeah. I was excited to see some of these and the questions that I read them. And I said that's a great question. Yeah. That's great. That is that I don't know. I can't wait to find out the answer.
S1: Well, good. I'm so glad. Let's. Let's get started.
S2: All right. Okay. We're gonna go right to questions. Our first question is from David in Idaho. He listens to me and says, I know that repentance is very important, but if we return to our sinful behavior just once and even briefly, in spite of our efforts, that doesn't seem like genuine repentance. Can you please address this? Because there are some sinful habits that are hard to break?
S1: Uh, seems to me that it's not just habit that, uh, we've seen the enemy, and the enemy is us, that there's something called the flesh. And that's why we keep going back to sinful patterns. And that's how the sinful patterns start. I don't think we can measure repentance by whether or not we go back to sin. Uh, now, I've watched Eva with our kids when they were babies. I bet you were like this, too. Tricia, what do you do? Uh, when your baby messes up? You know, you change that diaper. But what happens if they mess the diaper again?
S2: You change it again. You just keep changing it until they're potty trained. Even then, you know, there's something else. Well, there's a few mess ups potentially there, too, while they learn.
S1: Well, that's what strikes me in Scripture. Is there a scripture that you point to people?
S2: Well, it seems like.
S3: That we need to remember that if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. This is not this is not a salvation verse so much as it is a daily life verse.
S1: It's a fellowship.
S3: Verse. It's a fellowship verse. Right? And there's a difference. I think that we need to be aware, to be keep in mind between our salvation, which is permanent and unchangeable, and our fellowship with God, which is prone to to change depending on our behavior. Not because he changes, but because we change.
S1: Yeah. So confession the verse that you cited. First John one.
S3: First John one nine.
S1: Uh, the Greek word there for confess is homologeo. And what that means is to say the same thing. It means to agree. And if we agree with God about our sin, he will cleanse us so that we can restore fellowship with him. Uh, that's sort of like the spiritual diaper change that we need. However, when we sin again, it's not like we sin with a high hand, demanding God's grace. As Romans six says, we should not do. However, God knows we're but dust. He realizes how frail we are. He paid an infinite price to redeem us. The blood of the Messiah, Jesus. And he will cleanse us from all sin and restore fellowship with us. That's the thing that we need to remember. I think when we see the word repentance, by the way, so often repentance is really something that has to do with coming to know Jesus. And the Bible calls us to have faith in him and to repent from our old path, to change our mind. That's the word for repentance in in the book of acts, and usually in the context there, there are two sides of one coin. We change our mind about Jesus. That's repentance, and turn and put our trust in him. We stop trusting what we used to trust, and we've changed our mind about Jesus. And now we've put our trust in him. And so then to put that into the first John one nine category of fellowship, forgiveness, I think that that's what messes us up.
S2: So how do we not get discouraged if you feel like I'm just doing this same sin over and over.
S1: I would keep reading verses about how God restores us as far as the East is from the West. Uh, you know what what God does is when he forgives us, he forgives us completely. When he restores fellowship, he restores fellowship completely. And not that God can actually forget because he knows everything, but what he does is that every time we sin, even though we keep remembering that we sinned this way before, it's it's a fresh start with God. It's a new thing.
S3: So it's and I think that part of it is, is practicing our spiritual disciplines for fellowship. It's like practicing the piano or any instrument or an exercise regime. You may think, well, I just I keep at this and I don't see any change and I'm still making the same mistakes. Well, quitting doesn't make you better. What you need to do is to keep on practicing, keep on exercising, keep on playing, and then you really will get better. And that's keep on repenting of whatever it is that you've is, you're struggling with and also and then move forward toward obedience.
S1: I think crucial I think spiritual disciplines are. I'm glad you mentioned that. Reading the Bible. Praying. Uh, other spiritual disciplines as well. Uh, sometimes choosing not to speak at a certain setting all the time.
S3: Turning off Facebook.
S1: Yeah. These are disciplines that we might follow. God uses disciplines to grow us in those areas. Not discipline, but spiritual disciplines, spiritual practices that we don't read the Bible because we get brownie points with God. We read the Bible because we want to walk closer with him. That's an important discipline. And what will happen? For example, it might be a discipline if there's a particular area of sin. Go find every verse of Scripture about that sin and memorize them and work on them. And you know what? God's going to enable us through the power of His Word, to be transformed so that sin becomes less prevalent, so that the the turnaround that we wanted is, is going to actually come about because God's empowering us through those, those spiritual disciplines.
S2: Okay. All right. Thank you. I hope that's encouraging. If you're out there wondering, you know, thinking, I just don't see any change. I hope that's encouraging for you and gives you some practical steps on things that you can do to continue to grow in your faith in Jesus. Uh, next question. We'll go into, like, creation stuff. Um, Jamie wrote on Facebook and says, I'm currently studying Genesis. And as I reread Adam and Eve's story, the question I had was, Did God create Eve to be Adam's wife or was she created? Um, I guess just as a helper. And then she became Adam's wife. Or was it a little of both?
S1: I'm going to just go right to the text, because when it tells the story of the creation of the woman, it says that God brought all the animals, uh, before him and Adam. And he named him. Right. Uh, which always makes me think of the old Bob Dylan song God Gave names. Adam. The man gave name to all the animals, right? Yes, yes. But but the the reason for it is the Lord God said to start that whole process. It's not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper to him as his complement, someone that's fitting for him. That sounds to me like God is saying he needs a spouse, a wife, a full partner. And then there's no one found. No helper was found among the animals as his complement. I think that may have been to show the man. Yeah, it's not enough to get a pet, you know. Right. You actually need an equal, a full complement, a full partner, and then he creates the woman as that partner. Um, and it says when it says helper. Uh, that's one of the things that I think people misunderstand, don't you think, Eva?
S3: Yeah. People get all fuzzed up about this saying, oh, that means, you know, the Bible is anti-woman and it makes women less than men and blah, blah, blah, and they get all mad. Obviously, they're getting all mad because they really haven't read the Bible because the I mean, they're camping on one verse here, but the.
S1: Word helper, I.
S3: Mean, well, listen, what it's if you read the scriptures, who is our helper, really? What is the main way that the word helper is used?
S1: Lord is our helper in the Lord. Yes. Psalm 46 one.
S3: Right. Is our helper right? I mean, the predominant way the word helper is used is in relation to God's relationship to us. Yeah. And so I think for women to be called to be, you know, given that role, doesn't mean that you're inferior, but it means that you're made exactly to need.
S1: Yeah. It's the one who comes to our.
S3: Aid when he.
S1: Comes to when we need it most, when.
S3: We need it most.
S1: That's a, that's a that's what a helper is. And so I like it's the idea of a partner in help. Anyway, so I think it's pretty clear that that's the creation of marriage, because then it says at the end of it, the the writer. I think that's Moses who writes here. I believe it's Moses. But at the end, the narrator jumps in and describes the creation of marriage. This is why a man leaves his father and mother and bonds with his wife, and they become one flesh. Both man and his wife were naked and yet felt no shame. So this clearly is the creation of marriage. That's right here in Genesis 224 as the culmination of the story. So the answer is pretty simple. Uh, why did God create Eve? Yes, to be Adam's wife. That was the intention. And it becomes the paradigm, the role model for humanity for the rest of time. All right.
S2: Great. Thank you. Thanks for that question, Jamie.
S1: Yep. Uh, we're going to take a break here. And when we come back, we're going to, uh, take more of your questions that you've sent in. Tricia did a great job. We've got about 9000 email questions right here, and maybe a few less, but a lot of them. So we're going to do our best to get through them. These are your questions about the Bible God and the spiritual life. I'm Michael Ray Dolnick. Tricia McMillan is with me. Everyday is with me. We're going to be right back with more of your questions in just a moment. Did you ever feel Christians can't do anything about the growing anti-Semitism in the world? Well, that's why Chosen People Ministries, one of our partners, is offering a free book called Uncommon Allies American Jews and Christians Uniting Against Hitler, 1933 through 45, written by Alan Shore. This book shows the importance and power of Christians standing against anti-Semitism in the past, so will be motivated to do the same in the present and the future. Just go to open Line radio.org. Scroll down until you see the link that says A free gift from Chosen People Ministries. Click on that and you'll be taken to a page where you can sign up for your very own copy of Uncommon Allies. Welcome back to this special all mailbag, All the time edition of Open Line. No calls today. We're just taking the questions you've sent in with me today. I'm Michael Melnick. With me today is Tricia McMillan. She's the producer of Open Line. She's put the mailbag together. Eva melnick is here with me. She's a professor at Moody Bible Institute teaching there and also a contributor to the Moody Bible Commentary and the Moody Handbook of Messianic Prophecy. But most importantly, she's my favorite Bible teacher. We study the Bible together. Now, how do we do it? Every day when we read the Bible? Eva.
S3: So it's probably not as formal as some people might be picturing. We're sitting around the counter in our kitchen drinking coffee, and we're each reading our Bible or whatever we're studying at the time. Like, I just finished Second Chronicles and you're reading whatever. And then as I read and I have some question or something, you know.
S1: Isaiah, whatever.
S3: You're reading Isaiah.
S2: You're reading something different. Yeah, that's what I'm.
S1: Doing right now.
S3: And then I'll say, oh, look at this verse or what do you think about this? Or sometimes I'll say, hey Bible answer guy, what does this mean? So yeah, that's how we study. But we do it every day.
S1: Yeah. Or I'll say, oh, look at this. This is kind of interesting. This verse has never been in the Bible before. Right.
S2: How how long? Out of curiosity, how long do you guys sit there and study together?
S1: Oh, it depends on the day.
S3: Depends on the day. Sometimes.
S2: Busy day?
S1: Yeah. Busy day. About an.
S3: Hour. Yeah. Yeah. Okay.
S2: And you just work that in in the morning before you do everything.
S3: First thing you do before you open your mail or check your messages or anything. Because you know what? Once you open your mail or you check your messages, it just becomes rabbit trails here and there and here and there. And pretty soon you go, oh, look, it's 9:00. I haven't gotten anything read.
S1: Yeah. Yeah. So, uh, the thing that I discovered, like, for today, we had early morning meetings, and I had to get up really early to make that happen. So we were up at about five today. Okay. So that we could.
S3: It's like our friend.
S1: We could have our time. Our friend, our friend.
S3: Larry says, work it back in order to have to know when you need to get up to read the Bible every day. So you think about where you have to leave the house, then work back to what time you need to have. Yeah.
S2: It takes to make coffee. Yeah. I need this much time to study. And so that's what time I need to get up. Yeah.
S1: Yeah. Okay. So the reason I wanted to talk about that is that's the question. It's not. It's not on your list of questions. But when I do live audiences, um, with them asking the questions, I often will take some questions, just people will ask personal questions before the program.
S2: Right off the air. Yeah, off the air.
S1: And that's one of the main questions that I get is when do you and Eva study together? And I think that's kind of interesting that that people want to know. Okay. You keep talking about reading the Bible with Eva in the morning. We want to know about how you do that. Right. Okay. So there you have it. Well, let's let's go back to Bible questions.
S2: All right. Our next question is from Karina on Facebook. Did God create other people or did we all descend from Adam and Eve? I had a friend who said Cain, Abel and Seth did not marry their siblings to procreate.
S3: Well, well, does the Bible, from what the document says, which is, I think, our best, our best documentation.
S1: That's Eva. Oh, show me the document.
S3: Show me the document. It says there is no mention of creating other people besides Adam and Eve. So I would pretty much go with that idea that those are the people and, uh, but but they did have other children, and I think some of those other children would have been ultimately the wives of of the sons that are named. And it's not the same as it is today in the sense that at that time there was no genetic problems from marrying within the family. But later on we see that, God forbid that to happen.
S1: Now, it's interesting in Romans five when, uh, Paul addresses the issue of our sinfulness. He says it's through one man that sin entered the world. And he seems to indicate that, uh, we are all related to Adam. Uh, in Romans five, uh, just as sin entered the world through one man and death through sin. In this way, death spread to all men, because all sinned, we all sinned in Adam. Now some people say he was just our representative, but it was because he was our father, that that we're all descended from him. And that's why we all sinned. And therefore death reigned from Adam to Moses and so forth. Uh, but he becomes the prototype of the coming one. Uh, our we are, as we're related to the Messiah. We have new life. Uh, but, uh, nevertheless, uh, what we have here is, I think the idea that Adam and Eve were the first parents. God created them. Uh, then that leads to the problem of. Wait a minute. Uh, where did Cain get his wife? Right. Uh, why was Cain worried that people would kill him wherever he goes? Who are those other people? Well, look at.
S3: Look at Genesis five four. And then the days of Adam, after he became the father of Seth, were 800 years. And he had other sons and daughters. Yeah.
S1: So it seems to me that Cain, he was He was concerned about younger siblings coming after him because we don't know when this happened or other siblings. Uh, that would have been distressed about what Cain did to his brother Abel. So I think that's that one. Where did Cain find his wife? One of his siblings. Wait, wait, what are you saying? That's incest. If if if it's one of his siblings. His wife. One of his sisters. Uh, I would say that the Bible is pretty clear that incest is wrong. You can see that in the book of Leviticus. Uh, nevertheless, I would say when you're the only ones on Earth that's, uh, there's no other option. And there wasn't the kind of genetic disorders that would make that problematic. Exactly. Because they're so new. And then one other aspect is they need not have been the same, exact same age because they if Adam lived that long and Eve lived long, then the result would be that they would probably from, you know, different ages and would not have been raised together as as brother and sister.
S3: We even see that in really large families in our own times. Sometimes families have not incest, but age differences. If there's 14 kids in the family and the oldest child is 40 years old and the.
S1: Youngest is 20.
S3: And and or and or, the youngest is younger than that. You know, so they're not even growing up really in the same time frame? Yeah.
S2: Yeah. Would there be to the incest question, would there be that that it was not considered incest until it was made a law in the law, or was the law more things that were already understood to be wrong, that were established or kind of a mix of both?
S1: I don't I don't know. Okay. I think that by the time you have people spreading over the earth, it became considered inappropriate, wrong or sinful to marry a sibling. Uh, but on the other hand, when you're the only ones there, you know. Now, that's not the case with Noah and his sons, because they already had three families. And so. But they would be, you know, their children, that Noah's sons children would have probably been marrying cousins. Right. But, but but what else have you got?
S2: But the command that God had given Adam and Eve was to.
S1: Be fruitful.
S2: And multiply and multiply.
S1: Yeah, yeah.
S2: And so that was their command that they were working with.
S1: They had to do it. Yeah. Okay. Uh, and the same command is given to Noah after the flood. Be fruitful and multiply. Mm. Uh. Same command. And when you look at the laws in Leviticus, uh, the in chapter, I believe it's chapter 19 or 18. Uh, yeah. Chapter 18. Uh, there are all sorts of law laws opposed to incest. Um, and and I think that that very clearly, uh, says, no, don't do that. Uh, and that's because I think in the ancient world it was not unusual. Uh, in the pagan practices of Canaan, it was incest was normative. So this is.
S2: Another way that they're being set apart.
S3: Yes, yes. And it's if you have a minute, some time to, to look at, at Leviticus 18, it really gives a lot of different scenarios of don't do this with this person and don't do it with that person and with the other person and with her or with her.
S1: Interestingly, I think there must have even, you know, when Moses collected the laws, but we don't have every single law that Moses received. He gave sampling laws in the Pentateuch. And I think it's interesting that there shouldn't be incest with a grandparent. But there's nothing said about a father, does that mean that with a father, it's okay. But of course it's not okay. It's wrong. But Moses, he was giving a sampling. And so all incest is forbidden. Is. Is what what the point of those laws are. Okay.
S2: Yeah. All right. Thank you. That kind of went afield. A little of your question, Karina, but I was.
S1: Anticipating the follow.
S2: Up. Yeah, yeah. Thank you. Thank you. Next question is from Catherine, also on Facebook. Do you think that Cain was forgiven and that the mark was, um, given and suffered the consequences of his sin by being sent from the presence of God?
S1: Well, the mark of Cain, whether he was forgiven or not, was the mercy of God, wouldn't you say, Eva?
S3: Yeah, because. Because he. Really. Can you imagine the outrage of the of the siblings that they that he killed Abel, who must have been the nicest guy in the family.
S2: Right. You killed our favorite brother.
S3: He killed our favorite brother. That's right. Yeah.
S1: Now, the strange thing about this is I don't think the question is, was he forgiven? Was the real question we should be asking? Was he penitent? And because if he wasn't, then we know he wasn't forgiven. If he had been penitent, I believe he would have been forgiven.
S3: Are there clues?
S1: There are clues. The clue to me is that he was not penitent. And here's why. When God disciplines him, he says, uh, that you are to wander the earth. Okay. That's what he tells him to do. He's supposed to wander the earth. And this is all in Genesis four. And he says, I want to kill me. So he put the, uh, the mark of Cain on him, and he went out from the Lord's presence and lived in the land of nod, East of Eden. And then what did he do? Cain became the builder of a city and named the city Enoch after his son. Uh, and it says that he went eastward and And he went to the East of Eden. Why is this important? Because, first of all, he built a city. He didn't wander, so he didn't obey the command. And secondly, he went eastward. And every time in the early chapters of Genesis, when someone goes eastward, they're acting in rebellion to God, like in Genesis 11, they go eastward and build the Tower of Babel. So he did not repent, and so therefore he was not forgiven. We'll be back with more of your questions in just a moment. You're listening to Open Line with Michael Ray Melnick, Eva Ray Melnick, and Tricia McMillan. We're so glad that Febc partners with Open Line with Doctor Michael Ray, bringing the Febc mailbag every week. Learn how Far East Broadcasting Company is taking Christ to the world at febc. Org on their weekly podcast. Until all have heard with Ed Cannon. You'll hear stories of lives changed by Messiah all across the globe. Again, you can hear the podcast when you visit febc. That's febc.org. Welcome back to the special all mailbag all the time edition of Open Line. Everyday Dolnick is here with me. So is Tricia McMillan. And we're going through the questions you've sent in. You know, I love this because this is teamwork. You know Trish put the questions together. Part of the team was the people who sent in questions. I love that teamwork. Uh, Tricia, you. How many hours does it take for you to put.
S2: This whole thing? I don't know. A long.
S1: Time. That's teamwork, though. I appreciate it so much that I don't have to do it. Uh, and then, of course, Eva. She's the one that tells me what the answers are. And so that's teamwork, too. Even when I do. Mailbag. When you're not with me. Eva, I know you've looked at them first and said, this is how you should answer this one, and this is what you should. But and I'm part of the team too. And everyone that's listening is part of the team. I really appreciate that. But there's special team members that I think are crucial, and those are our kitchen table partners. They're the people who give monthly to open line so we can be on the air answering people's questions weekly. It's it's just such a I'm so grateful to them, I guess I would say for that. And one of the things that we want to do to say thank you is we send you a Bible study moment every other week. If you're a kitchen table partner, that Bible study moment is a brief Bible study, audio Bible study that I've prepared especially for our kitchen table partners. And then they get it in the email. They click on it and they get to hear it for a few minutes. And I'm so glad we get some great feedback about that, and I appreciate it so much. If you'd like to consider becoming a kitchen table partner, becoming a part of the team, I sure would appreciate it. Uh, if you do, by the way, if you. I was told I have to remind you of this. If you commit to $30 a month or more, 50% off on the Moody Publishers catalog, That's a great deal, I think. So that might be something you might want to do. If you'd like to become a kitchen table partner, call 886447122. That's 886447122. Or just sign up online at Openline radio.org.
S2: All right. Our next question is from Andrew in Minnesota. Listens to Ktis. Why did God choose the Jewish people as his chosen people? Weren't there other nations around at the same time?
S1: Yeah. You know, uh, it seems like one of the problems that the other nations had is that they were running away from God. You know, I mean, you just look at it. When does the choice of Israel actually begin? It begins with Abraham. And what do you have? That's in chapter 12, Genesis of Genesis. And in chapter 11, what you have are the nations refusing to obey God and spread across the earth. So they go to the plain of Shinar, which is in Babylon, the great rebellious city. That's the beginning of it. They build the city of Babylon with its tower, and they are saying, we're just not going to listen to God about spreading over the earth. So what does he do? He confuses their language, sends them all out. That's Babylon. And then in Genesis 12, what happens with Moses? With Abraham, he, uh, he calls him out of ur of the chaldees, which is in Babylonia, and brings him to the land of Israel, Zion, and says, this is the nation I'm going to build from. And then Isaac and Jacob. And that's where the Jewish people come from. So what he was trying to do was choose one nation that was not going to shake their fist at God and instead. Now, unfortunately, we Jewish people, we recognize we haven't done a great job, but the idea was to take the the light of God and bring it to the nations through the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. But in.
S2: Uh, there's.
S4: A.
S3: There's a great verse, I think, that tells us why God chose the Jewish people. Yeah, it's in Deuteronomy. It's in verse seven. It says, the Lord did not set his love on you, nor choose you, because you were more in number than all the peoples. For you were the fewest of all the peoples. But because the Lord loved you, and kept his oath, which he swore to your forefathers Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the Lord brought you out and and delivered you the Lord your God. He is God, faithful to his covenant. So why did he choose the Jewish people? Not because they were more or because they were better. It was because he loved them. It was his sovereign choice.
S2: What verses were those?
S3: Deuteronomy seven seven and eight.
S5: Okay.
S1: So Deuteronomy seven seven and eight. That's God's call of Israel after Egypt and his special.
S3: He's reviewing.
S1: He's reviewing. Reviewing. Yeah. So that's that's it. Uh, it's it's here's what it is. God's sovereign choice. God's grace. That's what it is.
S2: Yeah, yeah. Which is.
S1: Amazing.
S2: Kind of the same. Now, when he chooses those to follow him.
S1: Yeah. When if you become a believer, you know, we're saying, oh, whosoever will may come and we look at the, the sign over the, the door that says that we enter the door and it looks you look back at the door and it says chosen before the foundation of the world for salvation. And so those of us who know the Lord, whether Jewish or Gentile, if we've been chosen for salvation, we think we made the choice till we're in. Then we know it was God who made the choice.
S2: Yeah. Um, do does that mean Adam and Eve were not Jewish?
S1: Not Jewish, not Jewish.
S2: So Abraham was the first Jewish person?
S1: Yeah. Not Noah.
S3: Mhm. Huh.
S2: Okay. Yeah. You know, you just assume things as a kid, as a.
S3: Kid going to Sunday school, you think everybody was Jewish? Yeah.
S2: Yeah, yeah. If they're in the Bible, they were Jewish. Right, right. In the Old Testament.
S1: Adam and Eve, not Jewish. Noah not Jewish. You know, the Mel Brooks the comedian used to do the 2000 year old man, and he would talk about being around with Noah, you know, and he'd use and he would talk with Noah. He'd use a Yiddish accent. Probably not accurate. Probably not.
S3: Accurate.
S2: Okay. All right. Well, thank you for that question, Andrew. Um, Francis wrote us on Facebook and wants to know when the Israelites were crossing the desert during the Exodus, were the Israelites covered by the cloud of God's presence?
S3: I think she must be concerned about sunburn. Why?
S1: I don't know.
S3: You know, it's hot walking in the desert. Maybe they should have the cloud of God's presence over them. But I think maybe she's thinking about something else. What is 14?
S1: Exodus 14.
S3: 1314 2122.
S1: Yeah. Okay. Exodus 13 and 14 both talk about it. Uh, the The the point of it is that, uh, it says they set out from Succoth and camped at, uh, Etam on the edge of the wilderness. Now, verse 21, the Lord went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to lead them on their way during the day, and in a pillar of fire, to give them light at night so they could travel day or night. The pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night never left its place in front of the people. So there wasn't a cloud cover. It was a cloud that led them. Okay. Not not not not covering them.
S2: Okay, so if the fire is, um, is giving them light, from what I understand, there were lots and lots of people. So is this fire really big? Is it really high in the sky, or is it really only giving light to those front ones who are, and the rest are just following in the dark? Do you know? I mean, I realize we don't know, but I'm trying to.
S1: Picture I think it was a, it was a, it was a sign in the sky. It was a pillar of fire. And and you could see it. You know.
S3: I kind of picture it like lightning. You have a big group of people. Everybody can see the lightning.
S2: Yeah. Yeah. Okay.
S3: Or like fireworks at a great big event? Yeah. You can all see the fireworks. It's kind of like that. And the point was, it was to show them which way they were. I think it was to show them which way they were supposed to go. Not to prevent them from falling over rocks and stones on the path.
S2: Right. It's more. You are going the right direction. Follow me. Right. And I'm going to lead you where you need to go.
S3: Exactly the same.
S2: Thing with the with.
S3: The cloud that.
S2: They would have all been able to see that they weren't just following the person wandering and following the person in front of them, but they also could see, oh, yeah, we're all going the right direction. Yeah.
S1: Which it really does negate the old, uh, joke that we make about Moses not willing being willing to ask for directions. So we ended up wandering the wilderness for 40 years. No, we knew where to go. It's just that our disobedience kept us from from entering. Right. Uh, and so but they when they wandered, they were wandering with God's direction. Right. So. Yeah. So anyway, we're going to take a break here. And when we come back, we'll take more of the questions that you've sent in. My name is Michael. I don't think that was ever I don't think also and Tricia McMillan. And it's an all mailbag, all the time program. So don't call. We're going to answer the questions you've sent us and hopefully turn you right back to the scriptures to see where the answers are coming from. This is open, and we'll be right back. Don't go away. Do you ever feel overwhelmed trying to see how all 27 books of the New Testament fit together? Well, I have the perfect resource for you. Survey of the New Testament by Paul Benware takes you on a journey from Matthew to Revelation, giving you the big picture of God's grand story of redemption. Get your copy of this resource today. When you give a gift of any size, call 86447122 or go to Open Line radio.org. Welcome back to our all mailbag All the Time program. We're clearing the spindle emptying the inbox. What other metaphor can I come up with. But that's that's what we're doing. You send on all these questions, we're answering them. Tricia McMillan is with me. Eva is with me. We're doing our best. Tricia, let's let's go right back to questions.
S2: All right. Next question is from Tim on Facebook. How should YHWH be pronounced? Is it Jehovah or Yahweh or something else?
S1: It's not supposed to be pronounced. It's the unpronounceable name of God, according to Jewish tradition. And that's why when those Hebrew letters vav were found, or why YHWH. Yeah.
S2: Say again.
S1: Hey, vav.
S2: Okay.
S1: Uh, when they're in Scripture, at the youngest age, I was taught to say Adonai, which means Lord. So when you see that, you just say Adonai, which is. And then. And then when you're reading Hebrew, unless you mean it, if you're just practicing when you see the word Adonai or udei vav, uh, you're you're just working on something, but you're not actually praying, then you're supposed to say, uh, something like Hashem.
S3: Which just means the name.
S1: The name. That's that's what you're supposed to do. Uh, and.
S5: Uh.
S1: Now, here's the thing. Uh, the the unpronounceable name of God vav. Many scholars today say it's pronounced Yahweh, and but we're not sure, because that presumes the vowels we're putting in and also the, the word, the w. That's actually just a transliteration of the Hebrew vav, which is really pronounced like a v, not a w. So maybe it would be yahveh, but we're not sure. And, uh, I guess I just like it that in most Bibles it has the Lord with, uh, caps. Small caps. Okay. When you see your baby.
S3: Okay. Like or like like all caps. L o r d that, you know, capitalized.
S1: Yes. They have l and then ored in small caps in most Bibles. Yeah.
S2: Okay. So so when we were talking about the Exodus, um, in the last segment, um, just flipping through these, um, pages of Exodus, it has Yahweh in various places all over, but.
S1: Also because you're looking at CSB.
S2: Bible, I am, I am, but it also has Lord with the capitals. Yeah, in the same section. So which of those is.
S3: The not so consistent, which.
S2: Is the is it both. Any use.
S1: Of. Let me just say this would be the only one that does. It is the.
S2: One that happened to be the one I brought today and.
S1: The CSB also. Okay. Doesn't do it as much when they revise it. And it's actually one of the things I was on the translation team and my friend and former professor and I mean very close friend, Edwin Bloom was the general editor of that translation, and he really wanted to make it all your way wherever it was. And there was some pushback. So it's mixed and it was very inconsistent. Sometimes it was if it talked about the name of God, it used Yahweh. Okay, uh, I'm telling you, I laughed with him quite a bit about saying I really disagree with this. I wanted it to be, uh. He says, oh, that's because you're Jewish, and that's how you were raised. And I said, yeah, but that's how Bibles have been done. It helps people understand.
S2: So if it says Yahweh or if it says Lord with the capitals, the small caps. Yeah, they are both, um, translating the same letters. Yeah, the four.
S1: Letters and a few places in the Bible. It'll have. It'll say the Lord, which is actually the word Adonai, God. You know where it says the Lord God. And what? That is the Lord Yahweh. And so God is pronounced is written g small caps o d o.
S3: And you might have an older translation that would then use the word Jehovah. Yeah. Okay. Where the word.
S2: So any of those, any of those that we see would be in place of the four letters? Yeah. Right. The YHWH. Okay.
S1: It's it's called the Tetragrammaton if you want to be. Oh, yeah. It always makes me think of when I was in seminary, there was a friend of ours, Bob Hicks, who one day I heard him walking down the hallway singing every day with the Tetragrammaton sweeter than the. And I just thought it was just so funny.
S3: Yeah. That's right.
S2: In the him.
S5: Yeah. That's right.
S2: That's right.
S3: And there is no J in Hebrew.
S2: So that Jehovah would not be.
S1: It would have to be a why? Okay.
S2: So be Jehovah. Jehovah who? Okay. These are all those translation things that we don't know, and we just see them in our Bible and say, what is that? Yeah. But I will say as a little Bible study tip, usually this might be true, I think, across the board. But, um, at the beginning of the Bible, in those notes, at the very beginning, it explains, yes, we have translated this this way and this is what it means. And so often you will find those notes in the very beginning, if there are any, that.
S1: No one reads.
S2: Yeah, I.
S1: Have, but most people don't read.
S2: Those. I'm also the one who read a dictionary. As a child, I thought that was fun. I did too.
S3: I did too. Tricia. We're twins.
S2: Yes, yes. Okay, well, thank you for that thorough explanation that went beyond, um, so hopefully, Tim, you did say, can you dive into this? And we definitely did. So hopefully that answers your question. Um, next question is from Jeannie on Facebook. She is looking at a couple of psalms where David makes reference to the Lord's house or the temple. But it wasn't built until after David died. So what is he referring to? The specific one she mentions are Psalms five seven, where it says, but I enter your house by the abundance of your faithful love. I bow down toward your holy temple in reverential awe of you. In Psalm 23 six references I will dwell in the house of the Lord. So what is he referring to?
S1: Yeah, I believe it or not. I recently was reading, I think, Psalm 30, and it's a Psalm of David. Let's see if I can find it just so I can. This is not so unusual. Uh, let me see if I can find it real quick. Uh. Psalm 30. I'm turning pages. Turning pages. Here we go. It's a psalm. A dedication song for the house.
S2: Mhm. Is that referring to the house the prescription.
S1: And then it says.
S5: Davidic.
S1: Or of David. Okay. And so what house is he talking about? There's three possibilities. One, he's talking about the tabernacle. Two, he's speaking as a prophet that there will be a temple or something that he anticipates his son Solomon to build. And or the third possibility. And this is something that we have to understand. How do we get the book of Psalms? It's not like very often when people think of how the Book of Psalms came to be. It's sort of like when I was in high school, I came to faith, had a Bible study in my home, and we all thought we were songwriters. We went through the Psalms and everyone had guitars and we.
S2: All made up some.
S1: Tunes. Yeah, we made up some tunes, you know, blessed be the Lord God and all this. And what we would do is we would then, uh, what was that blue stuff called again? Uh, Mimeograph, mimeograph them, and we put them in these little binders we had and just add them. We would add the songs every week into it and like it was just as they were written, they were put in there. That's not how the songs came to be. Uh, for example, we have Psalms by Moses. Psalm 90. Right. We have Psalms by Solomon. Uh, Psalm 72. They're not in chronological order. Uh, no. Uh, there there are actually five books within five volumes within the Psalms to match the five volumes of the Torah. Uh, there was an editor, and now we know that the it was put together not gradually or chronologically, but they were it was edited and put together into a final book. After Israel's exile. The exile takes place in 586 BC. And this is Post-exilic. How do we know? One of the Psalms. Well, first of all, you've got exilic Psalms.
S5: Like.
S1: Psalm 137, about by the waters of Babylon. There we lay down and wept. For thee Zion. Right. So obviously that's the psalm that was written in, uh, in Babylon. And then you have Psalm 126, when the Lord brought back the captive ones to Zion, we were like those who dreamed. Right. So it's it's the return from captivity. What does this tell us? That the Psalms as a book, although David wrote 73 of them, it's marked the Psalms as a book is a book that was put together. It was like a hymn book put together after the exile. Why is this important? The editor of the Psalms will frequently have little, uh, adaptations, uh, things. Editorial comments. Someone might call it a gloss. Uh, whoever that biblical writer was after the exile who was putting the whole book of Psalms together. He's putting some things in. And so, like in Psalm 30, the one I just mentioned, uh, he says, oh, this is the psalm that was read. David wrote it, but it was read with a dedicated The temple. And so he puts that there in the superscript, sometimes even in the text, biblical explanations like that.
S2: Okay. So the house of the Lord was a, was a, the editor pointing toward.
S1: Could be in some cases sometimes it's David. Okay. So talking about the tabernacle okay.
S3: So could be tabernacle.
S1: All right. Well that's that's the first hour. I can't believe how fast it went. We're going to come back with a another hour of all questions all the time, all mailbag. We're going to come right back. Check out our mail. Our website. During the break. Open line radio.org. We're going to be right back. Keep keep your Bible open because we're going to study it. Open line with Doctor Michael Dolnick is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.