S1: The Old Testament contains more than 20 different Hebrew names for God. Why so many? What's the difference between them? In just a few minutes, we're going to look at seven Hebrew names for God. And we promise, having looked at those, you will read your Bible differently afterward. Plus, you'll enjoy hearing questions from other listeners about puzzling passages in Scripture. Welcome to another great edition of The Land and the book. Our team is led by Doctor Charlie Dyer, and I'm John Gager asking, how do you share the gospel with a Jewish person? Because of cultural, historical, and religious differences, it can be challenging to sort of navigate a gospel conversation with somebody from a Jewish background. Have you ever wondered how the quote professionals do it?
S2: And to answer that question, our friends at Life and Messiah want to mail you samples of the tracks their staff use as they share the gospel. This will serve a dual purpose of equipping you with methods of presenting the gospel, and also supplying you with tracks you can share with your Jewish friends and neighbors. Life in Messiah's Prayer is that these tracks will help further the spread of the gospel among the Jewish people. To receive this helpful assortment of tracks, all you need to do is visit Life in Messiah org and click on the Moody Radio button for more information. That's life in Messiah org. Don't miss out on this great opportunity.
S1: All right, here are the stories that have been unfolding this past week in the Middle East. As the conflict between Israel and Hamas drags on, many in Israel are starting to look ahead toward eventual national elections. What do the latest polls suggest might lie ahead?
S2: Eight months into this war between Israel and Hamas, individual politicians and parties are quietly laying the groundwork for the day after, when finger pointing and political infighting will begin in earnest. People want to know who to blame, and those who oppose Prime Minister Netanyahu hope to use Hamas's attack and the subsequent war to remove him from office in the next election. Preliminary polls suggest that right now, most do blame Netanyahu and expect him and his party to lose the mandate to govern whenever the next elections finally held. There are even some within his own party who are quietly jockeying to replace him as head of Likud. But it's probably too early to write Netanyahu's political obituary right now. The favorite to replace him is Benny Gantz and the National Unity Party. In early polls, Gantz seems virtually unstoppable. However, in some more recent polls, the numbers have shifted just slightly, though Gantz's party is still predicted to receive 30 Knesset seats to Likud's 19. But Netanyahu remains the political chess master, which is what makes him so hard to write off. For example, in the matter of drafting the ultra-Orthodox into the military, Netanyahu proposed a plan endorsed by Gantz when Gantz was part of the previous administration. Gantz has now come out opposing the plan, claiming that the situation since October 7th has changed. However, this allowed Netanyahu to picture Gantz as a political opportunist who endorsed a plan when he was in the government, only to now oppose it. Netanyahu has also been slow to put forward a specific plan for Gaza after the war ends. Those criticizing him for this are then forced to explain what they would do. And depending on what happens on the battlefield or with the US or with the Palestinian Authority, they could end up being criticized for promoting flawed answers by refusing to commit. Netanyahu is forcing them to push forward their solutions, which will have their own share of critics. Right now, the polls don't look good for Netanyahu, but he's banking on two very real possibilities. First, the war with Hamas, Hezbollah and Iran could continue for some time, holding off elections. And second, any number of events could happen militarily or diplomatically to create a dramatic change in the political landscape between now and those elections. Netanyahu might seem to be down politically, but it's still too early to count him out.
S1: Israel's relationship with Turkey continues to deteriorate over the war with Hamas. Help us understand the connection between Turkey and Hamas.
S2: Yeah, the key connection is the Muslim Brotherhood. Hamas grew out of the Muslim Brotherhood and Turkey's Justice and Development Party. That's Erdogan's party shares similar Islamic beliefs. Though the Justice and Development Party denies being an Islamist party, it has gradually moved in that direction. Under Erdogan. It combines its Islamic beliefs with elements of right wing nationalism. Erdogan and his party have been strong supporters of Hamas, calling Hamas a liberation group. Erdogan has welcomed senior Hamas officials for visits, and more than a thousand wounded Hamas fighters are currently being treated in Turkish hospitals. Documents discovered in Gaza included plans for establishing a secret Hamas base in Turkey to help coordinate attacks against Israel. Erdogan publicly said Hamas is helping defend Turkey, and said Israel would set its sights on Turkey if it succeeded in defeating Hamas in Gaza. He called Israel. The rogue and terrorist state that. Recently, Erdogan announced that Turkey would halt all trade with Israel and cut off all economic ties with Israel in response. Israel's financial minister proposed raising the import duty to 100% on all goods coming from Turkey. Of course, if Turkey isn't selling any goods, then the move is just symbolic. But it would suggest Israel is responding to Turkey's efforts to support Hamas. Israel is wary of any future offers by Erdogan under his party's rule. Turkey has not proven to be a reliable partner with Israel.
S1: If you just joined us, that's Doctor Charlie Dyer, Middle East expert. I'm John Jaeger. This is a look at current events. Because of Western sanctions, Iran and Hezbollah have become more creative in both securing finances and in pressing their attacks against Israel. What are some of their latest efforts?
S2: Well, Iran is generating sufficient income by exporting over a million barrels of oil per day to China. In addition, they've also increased their smuggling of oil into Pakistan. Last year, they smuggled in just over $1 billion worth of oil, accounting for 14% of Pakistan's annual fuel consumption. These illegal shipments are harming Pakistan's legitimate oil industry, while also helping fund rebel groups in Pakistan and elsewhere in the region who helped distribute the oil. Hezbollah has developed a plan to extort funds from Europe using Syrian refugees. There are approximately 2 million Syrian refugees in Lebanon. Hezbollah's leader said in May that Lebanon should open its maritime borders, so Syrians living in Lebanon could board boats heading to Europe. It's only 100 miles from Tripoli, Lebanon, to Cyprus, which is part of Europe. From there, the refugees could then travel throughout Europe. But here's the rest of the story. Europe has been paying Turkey and countries in North Africa to keep refugees from leaving their borders and heading to Europe by encouraging Lebanon to allow Syrian refugees to flood into Cyprus. Hezbollah's trying to create a crisis to also extort funds from Europe, and of course, a significant portion of any funds that would come to Lebanon from Europe would find their way into Hezbollah's coffers. Finally, Jordan recently thwarted an Iranian led plan to smuggle weapons to a muslim Brotherhood cell in the kingdom that was planning to carry out acts of sabotage. The goal was to destabilize the Jordanian government, to enable Iranian backed terrorists to open up a new front against Israel, and to encourage the smuggling of weapons from Jordan into the West Bank. Iran and Hezbollah planned to encircle and wear down Israel, and they hoped the West will remain willfully ignorant of all this until it's too late.
S1: Charlie, Iran seems to have so few friends outside of Iran. You wonder why the world community isn't more successful in fencing in their aggressive efforts.
S2: Yeah, it may have so few friends. However, those friends are significant. Russia, China and Turkey are three that are helping Iran in in some very practical ways and helping to thwart the sanctions that the US and the West have tried to put on Iran to help hold it down.
S1: Archaeologists have discovered a previously lost branch of the Nile River that may help solve a mystery surrounding the ancient pyramids. Charlie, I'm intrigued here. I love this mystery idea. What is it and how does this discovery help us provide an answer?
S2: Well, you know, the mystery is how were the pyramids built on an isolated strip of land at the edge of the Sahara desert, you know, with sand all around it? Or I put it another way. How are the large blocks of stone brought to that area to build the pyramids? You know, most people, when they think of the pyramids, think of the three main ones there in Giza. But there are actually a total of 31 pyramids stretched over a 17 mile area. The blocks of stone. I most agree on this. They were quarried further to the south, and they were brought to the area on the Nile River by boat or barge. But the pyramids are located 4 to 5 miles west of the river today, and that's a long distance to haul blocks of stone over land, especially when that land is sandy. Using radar, satellite imagery, deep soil coring, and other geophysical tests, this team was able to map out the remains of a branch of the Nile River that flowed for about 40 miles, much closer to the site of the pyramids. Many of the pyramids they found had causeways that led to this branch of the Nile, and acted, in a sense, as harbors where the stones could be offloaded and then brought right to the pyramid site. Eventually, this branch of the Nile River shifted to the east during the Middle Kingdom era, drying up and getting covered with sand during a period of prolonged drought about 4200 years ago. The discovery of the course of this now lost branch of the Nile helps explain why the pyramids are located where they are. They were actually very close to the river at that time, though, miles away today.
S1: And that's a look at current events. Charlie, for those who want to explore current events themselves, what do you think of resources online? Like Times of Israel.
S2: I think the Times of Israel is a great resource. Uh, it's probably slightly to the left of center, but it's still a very mainstream newspaper. Uh, The Jerusalem Post would be a second source, slightly to the right of center, and also a great newspaper. And if people read those daily, they'll get a good grasp of what's actually taking place in that region of the world.
S1: Hey, we'd love for you to get a better grasp on what's happening here at the program by visiting our website, The Land and the book.org. At that website you can learn about today's guest. You can learn about past programs, future programs all ready to go there, as well as get started with our podcast. It's a neat way to listen to the program at your own convenience and to share us with a friend. Coming up next, seven Hebrew Names of God.
S3: The Old Testament.
S1: Is filled with names for God, and all of them are unique. But why does the Bible go into such effort to use these in different passages in different ways? More importantly, how might our appreciation for God be elevated if we understood the Hebrew meanings of these names? Well, that's where our conversation is headed. Next. You're listening to The Land and the book. I'm John Gager, inviting you to pause with me for just a moment and ponder a fresh idea for sharing the love of Jesus with a Jewish friend. It's easy to lose sight of the fact that the Jewish community is diverse. So what's the most effective approach to sharing the gospel with Jewish people? Again, very diverse. Wes Haber is with life in Messiah. Any thoughts here?
S4: Well, that should be easier if it were. All Jewish people were alike. But Jewish people hold very different worldviews with diverse understandings of biblical truth. A the questions can be effective tools at different levels of conversation. I'd be interested to know, for example, if you could ask God one question, what would it be? Or what part has faith played in your life? What do you plan to do when your retirement is over? I love that one and your understanding how can we be made righteous before a holy God? I love this.
S1: Idea of questions. A friend of mine just engaged a Jewish person in conversation and and by asking questions, we learned so much more about her, her framework. So so questions are keys to unlock the door to spiritual conversations. Yes.
S4: They're diagnostic. They help us understand what others are thinking, and they also help open the door so we can lovingly present the truth about Messiah. And often questions linger in the mind after the conversations end, prompting further thinking.
S1: I like that further thinking, further dialogue. I hope West Haber is with life in Messiah. Melissa Briggs is an experienced Hebrew teacher who has lived in Jerusalem, England and right now Nashville. She's passionate about making the riches of the Hebrew language available to everyone. Melissa has two new video Hebrew courses available for beginners level one and level two. Her content offers a unique blend of biblical and modern Hebrew taught together, all from a Christian perspective, of course. Melissa's website is Explore Hebrew. Co.Uk. Hey, welcome back to the land and the book, Melissa.
S5: Thank you. I'm delighted to be here.
S1: Hey, answer the skeptic who says, what's the big deal with looking back at the Hebrew names for God? Why? Why should that matter?
S5: The Hebrew word for name is Shem, and Shem means so much more than what a person is called. A Shem speaks to the essential nature of someone and their reputation. So where our modern idea of names is all about what sounds cute or trendy or unique, a Hebrew name tells us about someone's character. It's a window into who they are, and God is a God who wants to be known by us. And he reveals so many of his different names or titles in the Bible. They're all insights into who he is, and he is so good, so righteous, so powerful. Sometimes the modern culture can try to sanitize God, to try to make him in our image or make him more politically correct, perhaps. Or we can make assumptions about God based on what words mean in the English language. And the truth is that some things about God are surprising. In each of these Hebrew names, we find that God is even better than what we could hope for or imagine. And I love digging into these truths because they point us to the very heart, the very nature of God.
S1: Well, you know now that you put a spotlight on the on the character of God in all of its varied forms, maybe seven names isn't near enough. I mean, maybe there should be, you know, almost unlimited names, you know? Are there too few?
S5: Absolutely. Yeah. We could probably talk about 40 Names of God that all point to different aspects of his amazing character, but this will be a good start today.
S1: All right. Well, we're going to attempt something rather ambitious in the next few minutes together as we look at seven different Hebrew names for God. All right. Fasten your seat belts. Here we go. What are we going to lead off with? Melissa? What's the first.
S6: Name?
S5: The first one is Goel. It means Redeemer or kinsman Redeemer. Its literal meaning is one who buys back. Our freedom is directly linked to the redemption of Jesus as our goel, our Redeemer, the Passover Lamb. Now, if we have accepted his free gift of salvation, then we belong to him, for we were bought at a price. Sometimes based on our modern Western worldview, we can mistakenly view freedom as independence from anyone else. However, like in the story of Ruth and Boaz, Boaz didn't just redeem Ruth and then abandon her or send her off on her own. Rather, the redemption was the beginning of their intimate union and family life. Biblically, a goel like Boaz buys back their destitute, estranged relative to belong to the family again to be under their care. It's a beautiful picture of what Jesus has done to bring us into right relationship with our Heavenly Father.
S1: You know, Melissa, what does it say about the character of God that he would choose as a name for himself the very mission of Jesus, one who buys back? That's amazing that he would want to be known by that name, I think.
S6: Absolutely.
S5: We read in Isaiah 43 but now thus says the Lord, your creator, O Jacob, and he who formed you, oh Israel, do not fear, for I have redeemed you. I have called you by name. You are mine.
S1: Seven Hebrew names for God. That's our focus today on the land and the book. I'm John Geiger. Our guest is Melissa Briggs. Some listeners will be familiar with the next name for God, ABBA, take us further, Melissa.
S6: So the literal meaning.
S5: Of ABBA is dad or even daddy. What struck me most when I dug into a Hebrew word study of ABBA is just how different the biblical view of fatherhood is compared to our modern Western mindset that can truly downgrade or belittle fathers. In biblical times, a person's identity is directly tied to belonging to their father. Abe is the more formal version of ABBA. He provides protection, provision, a home, a family, an inheritance. Before last names were a cultural norm, you were labeled as a son of your father. Isaac, son of Abraham. Jacob, son of Isaac. This is a picture of how God wants our identity to be completely rooted in him. Psalm 68 tells us that God is a father. To the fatherless. And in Psalm 27 David spoke of Father God accepting those rejected or hurt by their parents. It says, you, Lord, have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me. God my Savior, though my Father and mother forsake me, the Lord will receive me. I think God chose this powerful fatherhood metaphor exactly because he knew that our human family relationships could be so complicated by sin. God meets us in our place of pain and he offers the solution. He offers himself to us as Father ABBA. The message of ABBA is that there is healing and wholeness available to all. Jesus connects us to His Father so that we might be made whole emotionally and spiritually when we open up our hearts to him.
S1: So far, we've looked at two names Goel and ABBA. What is our third name for God that we're looking at in the Hebrew? Melissa.
S5: The next Hebrew word is delet, and it means door. What I love about the Hebrew word door delet is that it speaks of the humility of the Lord Jesus. The root word from which delet derives. It's all about lowliness, humility, and of course, the way that Jesus was able to provide access into his father's sheepfold was through humbling himself, coming down, taking on earthly form, making himself so low even to the point of death on our behalf.
S1: Melissa Briggs is an experienced Hebrew teacher who has lived in Jerusalem, England, and now Nashville. She's passionate about making the riches of the Hebrew language available to everyone. I'm John Geiger, glad to have you with us. Why is it so important that we come to God as the door?
S6: Well, the.
S5: Crucified Messiah, Yeshua Jesus, he is the door. The access to the Heavenly Father. Back in biblical times, the sheepfold. It was an enclosed area with a stone wall with one opening and the shepherd himself. At night he would sit across this opening and his own body would act as the door. John chapter ten Jesus says, I am the door. The Dellet whoever enters through me will be saved.
S1: We live in an age where people say, that's my truth, or there is no absolute truth, but one of God's name says he actually is the truth. What is this name and what should we know?
S6: Yes, the word for truth is Emmett.
S5: And the truth is ha, Emmett. And the reason this word is important is because you're exactly right. Our culture has lost the plot when it comes to understanding truth. Our postmodern society says either there is no truth or that different people can have different truth. But the Bible teaches the opposite. There is truth perfectly embodied in Jesus, and that truth is the truth that sets us free. The Hebrew word Emmett. It's closely related to the Hebrew words for faith, faithfulness, pillar and to support. So the Hebrew language provides this beautiful imagery of faith and truth as the pillars that should be supporting our life. You know.
S1: Melissa, if God cared enough about truth to name himself truth, it speaks, I think, to the importance and really the the wrongness of the direction that we're going culturally to dismiss truth as a your thing, my thing kind of notion.
S5: I agree, according to the Bible, the fact is that not all roads lead to relationship with the one true God, or the opportunity to spend eternity with him. The invitation is freely and generously extended to all. But there is only one door, one way to a restored relationship with God for eternity. We read in John chapter 22 that Jesus said to her, A woman, I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live even though they die. And whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Jesus himself, he's the door. He's the truth. And he challenges us that the actual content of our faith cannot be glossed over lightly. He is truth.
S1: Hebrew name number five is what Morgan.
S5: And the literal meaning of Morgan is a shield, and it can be a literal or a figurative shield. Sometimes it's translated as defender or defense. We find this word in Genesis chapter 15, verse one, where it says, after this the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision, do not be afraid, Abram. I am a margin, a shield, a defender to you, your exceedingly great reward.
S1: Today in the land. In the book we're learning from Hebrew teacher Melissa Briggs as we explore seven. The Hebrew names for God. This next one is a name for God that I've never heard before, bringing us up to speed. Melissa.
S6: The next word is shomer.
S5: Its literal meaning is a guardian, a keeper, a watchman. It comes from the Hebrew verb qamar, which means to keep watch, to guard over this beautiful and reassuring name of God. It's found in Psalm 121, where it says, he will not let your foot slip. He who watches over you will not slumber. Indeed, the guardian of Israel, Shomer Yisrael, he will neither slumber nor sleep. God is watching as a shomer. He sees everything and he will restore justice and righteousness on the earth.
S1: Well, we speak of God as having power, all power. And this last name we're looking at today speaks of his power. Enlighten us.
S5: The name Adonai Sabaoth. It's usually translated either the Lord of armies or the Lord of hosts. And this word speaks to God's sovereignty over all of creation. The word save. It's the plural of Chava, the Hebrew word for army, which is still used in modern Hebrew today to refer to the Israeli Defense Force. Sjava can either refer to an actual army or a great multitude or host. This root word is all about commanding, often militarily, over a large number. This powerful name of God found 235 times in the Hebrew Scriptures. It spotlighted in first Samuel 17, where it says, David said to the Philistine, you come against me with a sword and a spear and a javelin, but I come against you in the name of Adonai Sabaoth, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. So our true hope and Israel's true hope is Adonai Tzeva'ot.
S1: And that's a look at seven Hebrew names for God. What if somebody says, wow, this really does open my eyes to some things that I've been missing in my study of the scriptures. Melissa, how can somebody take advantage of your video courses and learn more?
S6: Yes, I would.
S5: Love for you to visit my website, explore Hebrew Wru.co.uk. There's different Hebrew articles and word studies you can find there, and you can also find access to the video courses that I offer that are a unique blend of biblical and modern Hebrew, taught from a Christian perspective.
S1: Okay, and a discount as well for land of the book listeners.
S6: Absolutely.
S5: If you use discount code Hebrew 50, that's going to give you $50 off the cost of the Hebrew courses.
S1: All right. Check it out again at.
S5: Explore Hebrew Dot.
S1: Co.Uk Melissa, always a pleasure to talk with you. Thanks for opening our eyes to seven Hebrew names for God. Thank you. And we're looking forward to our next segment where Charlie Dyer returns. He's got a stack of Bible questions that's real tall, but guess what? His answers they're taller yet. How could an answer be taller? Find out when you join us next here on the land and the book. Questions and answers. That's the focus of this segment here on Moody Radio's The Land and the book with our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer. Charlie's been a pastor. He's been a school administrator. He's been a tour host, tour guide, tour leader. And I don't know what else. Charlie, you've worn a lot of hats in life, but you always come back to the Bible, don't you?
S2: That's the bottom line for it all, John. Uh, it's the Bible that's the key. And and any way we can share the Bible and get people into it, it gets me excited.
S1: Well, we're excited then about this particular segment and we'll dig right into our questions. After this thought, how do you share the gospel with a Jewish person? Because of cultural, historical, and religious differences, it's sometimes challenging to navigate a gospel conversation with somebody from a Jewish background. Maybe you've wondered how the quote professionals do this.
S2: And to answer that question, our friends at Life in Messiah want to mail you samples of the tracks their staff use as they share the gospel. This will serve a dual purpose of equipping you with methods of presenting the gospel, and also supplying you with tracks you can share with your Jewish friends and neighbors. Life in Messiah's Prayer is that these tracks will help further the spread of the gospel among the Jewish people. To receive this helpful assortment of tracks, all you need to do is visit Life in Messiah org and click on the Moody Radio button there for more information. That's life in Messiah org. Don't miss out on this great opportunity.
S1: All right. Thank you. Good idea. William says my question is on the blessings and curses in Genesis 12 three. And he's our first questioner of the day. He says, I remember a speaker commenting on the original words, translated blessings and curses and saying they were not actually the same word in each case. Could you help clarify this, especially in light of the current war and how America could be affected?
S2: Yeah, and Genesis 12 three God uses one word for bless, but he uses two different words for cursing. The verse also uses the plural form for those who bless, but it uses the singular form for the one who curses. Of the two words used for curse, the first one has the idea of treating lightly or mocking, while the second is the normal word used throughout Genesis for a curse. Now, having said all that, I'm not sure how much weight we can place on the fact that two different words are used for cursing. Because in the parallel passage in Genesis 2729, that's where Isaac blesses Jacob. The normal word for curse is used in both parts of the statement, and those blessing and cursing are also both in the plural. It says they're cursed. Be those who curse you, and blessed be those who bless you. Since Abraham and his descendants are the chosen mediators of God's blessing, God will bless those who seek to bless Israel, while he also promises to curse those who reject him by rejecting the mediator he's chosen.
S1: Gordon says, I'm confused about Isaiah 66, verses seven and eight and Ezekiel 37, verses 21 and 22. What is being referred to in these passages?
S2: Yeah, well, I'll start with the Ezekiel 37 there. I don't see that passage referring to either the return from Babylonian captivity or Israel's return in 1948 being the fulfillment in the larger context when the details are taken literally. I believe what Ezekiel is pointing to there is Israel's still future complete restoration at Christ's second coming. Now, here's why I say that the prophecy begins in chapter 36, where Ezekiel describes his version of the New Covenant. He says, God will bring Israel out of the nations and back into your own land. That's verse 24, but they're not. They're just physically. He also says, God will cleanse you from all your impurities. That's verse 25 and give you a new heart. Verse 26, put my spirit in you. That's verse 27, and save you from all your uncleanness. That's verse 29. And then in verse 33 he says, on the day I cleanse you from all your sins, I will resettle your towns, and the ruins will be rebuilt. In other words, the fulfillment will happen when Israel is restored physically to the land and spiritually to her God. And that didn't happen following the Babylonian captivity and it also didn't happen in 1948, but it will all take place at the second coming. And then in chapter 37, Ezekiel gives two illustrations to show how God will do it the valley of dry bones. God's going to restore the nation, he says, physically and spiritually. And the two sticks he puts together says, I'm going to restore all Israel, not just the southern kingdom of Judah. Now the other passage, Isaiah 66, also looks forward to the future time. Isaiah looks ahead to that day, and he sees a number of, I'd call them mountain peaks of prophecy in the distance, and they include the new heavens and the new Earth, the dramatic restoration of Israel and Jerusalem, and a time of universal peace and longevity of life. Now, later writers provide additional details to help clarify the order of those events. But taking Isaiah's words at face value, I see a gathering to the land and a time of universal peace. And that didn't happen when Israel came back from Babylon or in 1948. And that's why I actually believe both of those passages describe a time that is still future.
S1: It's the Land and the book from Moody Radio. On this third segment, we answer Bible questions yours, and that question of yours is welcome with a quick email to the land and the book@moody.edu, Assaf says, I know the Bible is the inerrant Word of God, incapable of being wrong. But in reading John five, the story of the man with an infirmity who spent 38 years at the Pool of Bethesda, I noticed some translations leave out the last part of verse three and all of verse four, which speak of the angels stirring up the water. Why are these verses left out? Seems like they're a crucial part of the story.
S2: Yeah, the key issue here is whether or not the last part of verse three and all of verse four were actually part of the original manuscript, or if they were inserted later by a copyist, a number of older and fairly reliable manuscripts don't have those verses, and that's why some translations leave them out. However, the case is by no means settled. There are other manuscripts that do have the verses. Now, my personal feeling is that the verses were part of the original and are left out of some manuscripts, because later copyists saw them as problematic. That is, they saw that what was being described there doesn't match the character of God. I think the potential problem can be easily resolved if we understand the angel of the Lord that stirred up the waters wasn't a good angel. It was a fallen angel. In this sense, the incident seems to have Satan's fingerprints all over it. You're holding people captive to a site while they waited desperately for a miracle, and archaeological evidence has been found there at the site linking it to an asclepion, a pagan place connected to the worship of Asclepius, the Greek god of healing. So when the angel does arrive, it says, the person who can get into the pool first, which would be the most healthy, gets healed, while the most needy is never able to get there in time. So I do see the verses as genuine. I believe they help explain how Jesus demonstrated his true grace and mercy at the house of mercy in this place that otherwise was dominated by a false religious practice.
S1: Interesting question here from Lois is the crown of thorns foretold in the Old Testament?
S2: Well, I don't know of any direct Old Testament prophecy that predicted the crown of thorns. You know, some think the ram caught in the thicket when Abraham was going to offer Isaac might be a type of that picture of the crown of thorns, but I don't see that personally. So what I really say is, I don't see that picturing the crown of thorns. I don't see any other incident in the Old Testament either pointing that direction, and I'm hesitant to find meaning in in details of a story like that of the ram caught in the thicket. Since there's nothing in the account to connect that ram with the crown of thorns.
S1: All right. From John, this question, I was in a conversation with someone who claimed that acts 323 says that those Jews who do not believe in Christ will be cut off. That is, they will be out of the covenant, and everyone who will not listen to that prophet will be completely cut off from the people it says. What does it mean to be cut off from the people who are the people they are cut off from? Is an unbelieving Jew out of the covenant?
S2: Yeah. The phrase cut off or cut off from among the people comes from the Old Testament. And it's used there multiple times, and it refers to God judging an individual either by putting him to death through direct divine judgment, or by having those in the community put him to death through capital punishment. But in acts three, Peter's quoting from Deuteronomy 18, and the promise by Moses of another prophet who was going to arise in verse 20, there he directly identifies Jesus as the Messiah. And in verse 22 he connects Jesus to Moses's prediction from Deuteronomy 18. And what that says there is God's going to call them to account, uh, if they don't listen to the words of this prophet. So Peter is saying, individuals who reject God's promised Messiah, Jesus, will be judged by God. However, I think we need to be very careful not to use this verse to argue that all Jews have been rejected by God. In verse 17, Peter makes it clear that they acted in ignorance when they called for Jesus to be crucified. And then in verses 19 to 20, he offers his audience an opportunity to repent and turn to God so your sins may be wiped out. So here's the bottom line for me to be cut off from among the people in the mosaic covenant had the idea of coming under divine judgment and experiencing physical death. It was a strong and serious warning, and Peter is using that same language to describe the importance of the decision now facing his audience and by way of application. By the way, it's not just for the Jewish people in his day. I think it's a decision faced by all unbelievers today. What will you do with Jesus? It has eternal consequences from Mary.
S1: This question in Explaining the Fall, Donald Grey Barnhouse said that while Adam was made in God's image, Cain born after the fall wasn't. I wondered if he meant just to differentiate between God's initially having created man perfectly, but sin making it impossible to have the same perfection in Cain. But in another book it looks like he again said, man is no longer in God's image. Does that mean that the expression being made in God's image is unbiblical?
S2: I always appreciated the ministry of Doctor Barnhouse. Now in this instance, I tend to disagree with him. I suspect it might just be semantic, though he does state in places Adam lost the image of. God at the time of the fall, but I'd prefer to say the fall marred the image of God now. Two passages help me in this. The first is Genesis five, where it begins by saying God created mankind or humanity in his likeness. And then it says Adam had a son in his image and likeness. That is, the image God placed on. Adam was then reproduced in Adam's offspring. And the second passage is Genesis nine six, which describes events after the flood, and it says, whoever sheds the blood of man by man shall his blood be shed. But in the second half of the verse it explains why. For in the image of God has God made man.
S1: And that's a look at questions that have come into us. Yours. Welcome anytime. Again, when you email us at The Land and the book@moody.edu and Don't Go Away, Charlie Dyer's devotional is next, right here on the land and the book. Have you ever been late to something? Hi, John. Gager here hanging out with Charlie Dyer and Charlie. I have to confess, uh, I've been, uh, running late for a lot of things in life. Uh, I just I try to cram too much in, I think sometimes. What about you?
S2: Uh, we are both the same, John. We try and pack too much stuff in, but so did the apostle Paul. And that's what we'll talk about.
S1: All right, that's all ahead in Charlie's devotional based in acts chapter 20. We'll get to that after this Holy Land experience. Testimony.
S7: My name is Joyce Papich, and my experience with what the Bible so far has been getting to know the Lord and him teaching me on the level that I was ready for. And now I can understand things on such a greater level and have so much more communication with him and reading through the Bible, knowing where he's been, knowing where all these events have happened, I can experience them at a deeper level and get even more out of all the messages that he has for me. I'm just so excited to have a whole new world open up to me.
S1: All right. Our Bibles are open to Matthew, Mark, Luke, John. Acts. Fifth book of the New Testament, the 20th chapter. Charlie, we are not in a rush.
S2: Well, but this time we are John. In Lewis Carroll's story Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Alice's adventures begin when she spots a white rabbit running by saying to itself, oh dear, oh dear, I shall be too late. Now those who remember the Walt Disney version might remember slightly different words from a song in the film. But in Carroll's 1865 story, the frazzled rabbit is shouting to himself, oh dear, oh dear, I shall be too late. He was all dressed up but running behind schedule. And the two of us, John and I suspect everybody else listening, have all experienced times like that. Times when we try to squeeze the hours of work needed to finish our project into the scant few minutes remaining until the deadline, or at times when an avalanche of interruptions seems to keep us from making it to an important meeting, our internal alarm clock begins sounding and a sense of panic starts to set in. Oh dear, oh dear, I shall be too late. Well, if you've ever felt that way recently, take heart. So did the Apostle Paul. The important event Paul didn't want to miss was the festival of Shavuot, what we know as the day of Pentecost. The problem is that Paul was in Greece. He needed to make it to Jerusalem by shavu'ot. That festival happens to be this coming week on our calendar. Let's see what happened when Paul felt pressured to make it to Jerusalem on time. Paul's eventful great race to Jerusalem began when he was in Greece, where Luke tells us in acts 20, verse three that he stayed three months. It was early spring, just before Passover. Paul's plan was to sail from Greece directly to Syria, but his plan was dramatically interrupted because Jews made a plot against him just as he was about to sail, narrowly avoiding a likely assassination plot aboard ship, Paul decided to go back through Macedonia instead of traveling by boat. He set off on a more roundabout journey by land. This added to his travel time, and time was starting to slip away. Paul and eight other traveling companions set out by foot on the road north from Corinth. Passing through Athens, they retraced the route taken on their second missionary journey Berea, then Thessalonica, then along the Via Egnatia to Philippi. While Paul and Luke stopped off in Philippi, Paul, seven other traveling companions, boarded a ship and went on ahead to Troas. They planned to wait there for Paul's arrival after spending Passover and Unleavened Bread in Philippi, but with the arrival of these festivals, the clock is now on its 50 day countdown to Shavu'ot Pentecost. And Paul still has a long journey ahead. The distance from Philippi to Troas was just 130 miles. But that's as the crow flies, and no crows or airplanes were available. Paul first had to walk the 12 miles from Philippi to Neapolis, the modern day town of Kavala. Then he had to wait for an available ship heading toward Troas. On his second missionary journey, Paul found excellent travel connections. Then it took a day to sail from Troas to Samothrace, another day to sail from Samothrace to Neapolis, followed by less than a half day's walk to Philippi two and a half days. But now that Paul's in a hurry, everything seems to be conspiring against him. The two day journey from Troas to Philippi, on that earlier second missionary journey now stretches out. As Luke so carefully records. We sailed from Philippi and five days later joined the others at Troas. And then, for whatever reason, they seem to have become stranded in Troas. We're not told if this was because of physical illness or lack of available transportation, but Luke notes in his log that the reunited group stayed seven days in Troas. Only 38 days remain until shavu'ot, and they're still in Troas, on the northwest coast of what is today Turkey. Transportation is finally booked and the group is planning to leave the following day. Paul spoke to the believers in Troas that night and it turned into a long meeting. Luke provides a few additional details to help explain the next potential disruption. Paul kept on talking until midnight. There were many lamps in the upstairs room where we were meeting. Seated in a window was a young man named Eutychus, who was sinking into a deep sleep as Paul talked on and on. It's warm, it's dark. It's been a long day. The soot from all the lamps is lowering the oxygen level. And try as he might, young Eutychus slipped off to sleep. Unfortunately, he also slipped off his perch and tumbled three stories down to the ground below. Everyone rushed down, but it was clear he was dead. That is, until Paul wrapped his arms around him and raised him from the dead. Then they all went back up to the room, where Paul continued speaking until the morning. And as the sun rose for the start of a new day, Paul bid the now very awake focusing. As goodbye and continued his journey. Oh dear, oh dear, I shall be too late. Paul traveled overland to Assos while the rest of his party went by ship. Luke then records in staccato fashion their progress from Assos. They journeyed to Mytilene the following day. This is now day three of the journey from Troas. They arrived off Chios on day four. They crossed over to Samos, and on day five they arrived at Miletus. Only 33 days remain until Shavu'ot. Paul was quickly revising his schedule. Rather than taking time to visit Ephesus, Paul decided to sail past Ephesus to avoid spending time in the province of Asia, for he was in a hurry to reach Jerusalem if possible. By the day of Pentecost, Miletus was over 30 miles from Ephesus, so Paul still had another delay. He sent to Ephesus for the elders of the city. It would take someone at least a day to travel to Ephesus, and another day for the elders to walk back to Miletus, allowing a day in between for the elders to be gathered and for the original messenger to rest. There was likely only 30 days remaining when these elders finally arrived for this brief visit with Paul, after an emotional gathering in a time of prayer, the elders then walked with Paul, the 6 or 7 miles from the city to the sea, as they accompanied him to the ship. The remainder of the trip now seemed to go like clockwork. They sailed straight to cause the next day we went to Rhodes, and from there to Patara, where we found a ship crossing over to Phoenicia. Passing to the south of Cyprus, they headed toward Syria, landing in the port of tyre. We're not told the total number of days at sea, but it seems likely that the last stretch was several days. So perhaps it took seven days to get from Miletus to Tyre. That was a rapid trip, but the clock is now down to something like 24 days to vote. According to acts 21, Paul stayed with a group of believers in tyre for seven days before boarding another ship to Ptolemais, where he stayed another day, then on to Caesarea, where he also stayed a number of days. We're not giving the exact number of days, but it would seem Paul made it to Caesarea with just under two weeks remaining until Shavu'ot. I suspect he was starting to breathe a little easier. A few days later, Paul was in Jerusalem, first meeting with the leadership of the church there and then heading to the temple. Paul made it just in time to be falsely accused and arrested in the temple area. So what lesson can we take home after this exhausting journey with the Apostle Paul? How about this there are times in our lives when we find ourselves under pressure. Sometimes it's of our own making, but sometimes it just seems like life intervenes to keep us from following through. On our commitments to the Lord. Paul kept his priorities in focus, and he adjusted his schedule to not let other good things get in the way of accomplishing those things that were more important. But through it all, he never put his schedule ahead of his commitment to people, even if it meant staying up all night to speak the lesson for us keep your priorities straight, and then trust God to work out all the details.
S1: Play very practical and those are great insights from the life of Paul. Thank you Charlie, thank you for joining us today on the land and the book. As always, we welcome you to our website where you can find out about today's programs, guest future programs, past programs, everything you need to know all there at the land and the book. Org, I'm John Jaeger for our host, Charlie Dyer. The land and the book is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.