S1: Do you have a question about the Bible? Do you ever wonder what we can know and understand about God? Or maybe you're struggling with an issue in your walk with the Lord and would just like some biblical guidance? If so, then you've come to the right place. Hello friends. Welcome to Open Line with Michael Riedel. Moody Radio's Bible study Across America. If you have a Bible question, the phone number to call today is 87754836758775483675. I'm Doctor Steven Sanchez, and I'm sitting in for Michael, who is away leading a trip to Greece and Turkey. I'm a professor of Bible at the Moody Bible Institute in Chicago, where I teach on the faculty with Michael. And we're coming to you live across the many stations of Moody Radio. And today we're sitting around the radio kitchen table answering your questions about the Bible, God, and the spiritual life. If you have a question, the phone number to call is (877) 548-3675. You can also send your questions through our open line website. Open Line radio.org. Just fill out the Ask Michael a question section and send us your Bible question. Open line radio.org. Again that phone number is (877) 548-3675. I hope you've got your cup of coffee poured and your Bible open, because we're getting ready to study the scriptures together. As we begin, let me take a minute and consider that it's September and here at the Moody Bible Institute, that means one thing students are back on campus. Let me tell you, it's a joyous thing to see classrooms full of young men and women eager to study the Bible and be trained to serve. That's what we do in our undergraduate and graduate programs. We train men and women to serve the Lord wherever they are. We want them to live on mission for Christ, no matter how they make a living. Of course, as our students study, they have questions, and it's my job as one of the professors, along with my colleagues to help answer those questions. You know, frequently I run into an attitude that suggests some of them have been trained to think that it's wrong to ask questions. That is, if you ask questions, it says something might be wrong with your spiritual life, or that asking questions, especially difficult questions about the Bible or God, indicates maybe you lack faith. I'd like to suggest to you this morning that this attitude is incorrect. In fact, the Bible demonstrates that godly men and women often ask questions. And in fact, God created a world where asking questions is inevitable. There's no way a Christian can grow or progress in their spiritual life with without some measure of curiosity. We have to acknowledge, of course, that we won't always get an answer for every question we ask, and it is possible to ask questions in a way that is neither helpful for you or for the people around you, and in some cases is not honoring to God. But the idea of asking questions is a biblical concept. Question themselves are not bad things. Let's take a minute to consider what the Bible has to say about questioning. We have to begin by recognizing we are created beings. We are creatures specially made in the image of God. But we are created and that means we will not have total and complete knowledge of everything in life. God has withheld much information from us and it has been that way since the beginning. Adam and Eve knew that God loved them. They saw the world he created, but they did not know everything. Therefore, it's safe to assume that if they wanted to know something, they would have had to ask. And we can see this pattern at work throughout the lives of all major Bible characters. Men and women do not have total knowledge, so they have to ask. Sometimes they ask and receive answers with no rebuke. Think about it. When God promised Abraham the land of Canaan, he asked, O Lord, how am I to know that I will possess it? God doesn't rebuke him, but gives him a covenant. Gideon, please, Lord, how can I save Israel? God answers him. Mary herself asks an important question after the angel Gabriel told her she would bear a child. How can this be? And she received an answer. So I think we can safely say that asking questions does not have to be sinful. It's a sign of being human. That said, if the attitude behind the question is not genuine, then a question can be a sign that something is amiss. Again, back to the Bible. In the garden, the serpent began his attack on Eve with a question Did God actually say that was not an honest question? It was an attempt to.
S2: Deceive.
S1: Or in the Psalms, the writer confesses his longing for God to deliver him, while his enemies taunt him with the question where is your God? These opponents were not honestly seeking an answer. They were mocking him. Finally, although his question sounded innocent enough, Zechariah was rebuked by the angel Gabriel when he did not believe the words that God said. God knew. His question did not stem from genuine faith, but a skeptical heart. At times, questions can become problematic when they come from a heart that is resisting the Holy Spirit, or reduces to be humble and acknowledge that God is not obligated to give us every answer we want. Let me conclude by saying, the Lord knows we do not have total knowledge and that we will have questions. This is why he provided teachers for the church. This is why he provided a printed Bible. This is why he provided professors and scholars and pastors. You can have somewhere to go and get your questions answered. The Bible is a big book and godly Christians have many questions. If you detect that you're questioning results in hostility to God, or if you detect that your question stems from an overly skeptical spirit, then you should ask yourself, why is this so? Why am I wondering so deeply about this? Is an answer even possible? Is my question actually a form of doubt? Do I have a skeptical spirit that demands more of God than he is willing to give? Asking questions is expected, and it's our hope that your questions draw you closer to Christ. With that said, we welcome your questions this morning. The number to call is (877) 548-3675. Let's go to Dan in Scottsdale, Arizona listening on Wmbi online. Dan, what's your question today?
S3: Yes. In revelations, uh, they talk about a new heaven and earth. I was wondering, could that be like a new cycle for the, Um, you know, like the Bible.
S1: Like a new cycle for God, starting everything over again, creating new things all over. Yes, that's an interesting observation. I think we the best way to look at that would be God created once already. And the story of Scripture, the narrative line of Scripture is not that he's necessarily replacing everything that he already created, but that he's redeeming it. He's making it new. Some things are going to be replaced, but I don't think I would argue that God is going to, for example, start creating a new race of people or entirely new kinds of creatures. Rather, the theme seems to be he's redeeming everything that he already made. Why did it need to be redeemed? Because soon after he created it, it was corrupted by sin. And we have lived our lives, lived our existence underneath the curse of sin. God's going to remove that, and everything's going to be new in that sense. But I would not argue that he's going to, for example, create a new race of people or new types of creatures. Rather, he would be redeeming the old ones. Does that help?
S3: Okay. Thank you.
S1: You're welcome. All right, let's go to Bonnie. Listening in West Chicago, Illinois on WNBA. Bonnie, what's your question today?
S4: Hi. My question has to do with one of the items in Scripture when Jesus said in John 812, I am the light of the world. He who follows after me will not walk in darkness. Later on in John nine, he seems to qualify that when he says in John nine five, while I am in the world, I am the light of the world. I was wondering if that is a qualifier or if so, when would he not be in the world? And what does the coming night have to do with that in the context of John nine?
S1: I think we have to interpret texts like this, and the fact that in light of the fact that Jesus was only here doing his ministry for a few years, and while he was in the world, there were unique things that were happening while he was around. While I'm in the world, I'm the light of the world. I'm here. Something special is happening, and it's unique to the incarnate presence of Christ right there in that place. Uh, when Jesus leaves, think about the consequences of that. I mean, the disciples are distraught. When when is he coming back? They stand there on the Mount of Olives. Is he coming back? And the angel has to tell him. Hey, he'll be back. Don't worry. But they were. They were under great distress because his physical presence was gone. I don't think Jesus is making a statement about whether he's with them all the time. He's going to say later in the Gospels, right, I'm with you always, even to the end of the age. So Jesus is with us, there's no question. And he is, in that sense, the light of the world. But there was something unique going on there at that time while he was walking this earth and living among people and healing and and calling them to himself. That was a special time that was unique, such that we would identify a difference. Go ahead.
S4: Because he also says in Matthew five that you are the light of the world. And that would have to be only as he is living within us.
S1: Well, that's right, his disciples, who then believe him and take that message to everyone else. They are functioning as representatives for Christ, and in that sense, he they are the light of the world. Some of these phrases, we have to interpret them specifically in their context, and they might mean something a little different in each place. Jesus comes. He brings a message. He passes it on to believing disciples. He leaves, they become his representatives, and they become light. Are they exactly the same light that Jesus is? Well, no, because they're not Jesus. But they do serve that function as his ambassadors, his witnesses to anyone who's listening. Does that.
S5: Help?
S4: Okay, so the knife that he's referring to would be his death. And the disciples just were not sure what to do other than obey and wait.
S1: That's right. They're going to obey and wait for him to come back. They're going to follow his example, and they're going to be witnesses of all that he's doing. And we're left to do that, too, right? We're still in that same phase. We are lights and examples for Christ. Thank you for your question. Thank you so much, Steve. You're welcome. All right. Let's go to Agatha in Cleveland, Ohio on Wtxf.
S6: Thank you. I, uh, recently, I, um, the apple was a forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden. I want to know, is there still. I mean, I don't think it would be, but it just bothered me. So can we eat apples?
S1: So, uh, the apple is not identified in the Bible as the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden. It's never stated that it's an apple. I'm sure the Apple industry is thankful for that because it's never stated. We don't know what that fruit was in the Garden of Eden. And so yeah, eat apples. Just make sure you wash them, because sometimes they have pesticides on the outside and they cover them in wax. And I like to take the little sticker off. But you can you can eat apples. That's fine. The the Bible does not identify that fruit at all. It just says it was a fruit.
S6: So we should thank Johnny Appleseed, huh?
S1: You should. And the. And the apple industry. And there's a there's a company in Israel. A fruit company in Israel. The name of the company translated into English is in the beginning, and their logo is an apple. And every time I look at that, I say, come on, guys, you're contributing to a misunderstanding. But yes, the fruit was never identified in Genesis. And so feel free.
S6: Feel free to eat before you ask that, because I love them and I, I don't know, just recently, like the last couple of days, I was like. And then I listened to you also. I heard you. Thank you for answering my call. You're welcome.
S1: You're welcome.
S7: Glad, glad, glad.
S1: That helps. Well, friends, it's time for a break. I'm Doctor Steven Sanchez, professor of Bible at the Moody Bible Institute, sitting in for Michael, who's leading a tour of Greece and Turkey. What a life. What a life. The phone number to call today is (877) 548-3675. That's (877) 548-3675. You're listening to Open Line on Moody Radio. Don't go away. We'll be right back.
S8: Do you want to read the Bible but don't know where to begin? Or maybe you just want to get more out of your reading of the scriptures. Well, have I got a book for you? It's called 14 Fresh Ways to Enjoy the Bible. This innovative guide presents 14 practical principles to bring Scripture to life. Give a gift of any amount and we'll send you a copy just to say thanks. Call (888) 644-7122 or visit openline. radio.org.
S1: Welcome back to Open Line with doctor Michael Melnick. I'm Doctor Steven Sanchez, professor of Bible at the Moody Bible Institute in the studio for Michael, who's leading a tour of Greece and Turkey. The number to call with your question this morning is 87754836758775483675. We have a few lines open, but let's get back to your calls. Sam and Sam in Missouri listening on w mbu. I think, Sam, you're in Mississippi.
S9: Hey. Yeah. That's right. Mendenhall, Mississippi. Great. So just to, um, in revelation 1615. Um, sorry. That's my three year old in the back.
S1: Hey. Questions from the little ones. That's great.
S9: Sorry. Um. In revelation 1615, uh, John is seems to be quoting Jesus, and he says, behold, I am coming like a thief. Blessed is the one who stays awake keeping his garments on. Um, from my understanding, I believe that the church will not go through the tribulation period. Um, but this verse seems to be used in revelation three. Uh, verse three. The analogy is like a thief. Uh, and is being used in application to the church. Also in first Thessalonians five, Paul uses it, uh, and he seems to be talking to the church in Thessalonica. And in second. Peter, um, the analogy, like a thief is used again. So I'm just confused. Will the church go through the tribulation or, um, because of the analogy, uh, like a thief or will they be raptured? Is the analogy kind of a both and or either or is what I'm asking.
S1: I think the analogy here is a way for Jesus to use an illustration to remind people to be ready for the coming of the Lord. I don't think, especially in the passage you've given us. Revelation 15 1615. I don't think he's speaking about the rapture there. That's not in view. The issue is stay ready. Are you going to be ready? How do we keep how does Jesus keep his disciples ready for the fact that he's going to be gone for a while? And what happens when, so to speak, the boss is away? You know, we get a little lazy. We stop being so prepared. We're not focused. And how do you illustrate that to people? Answer. What's one time that people are never prepared for when they wish they had been, and it's for a thief to come steal their things? I grew up in Brooklyn, New York City. It's a great place. There are times when it wasn't a great place, and I remember dad having to change the hood of the van to the grill so that someone wouldn't come and steal the battery. And if there were nights where he forgot, sometimes we'd come out in the morning and the battery was stolen and you'd say, oh, we should have been ready. I think Christ the Apostles are using this analogy of a thief to keep Christians on their toes. Be ready. We don't know when he's coming. That's the key. I agree with you. I think we're going to be raptured. I think we're not going to go through the tribulation. But it seems to me these thief analogies are really about are you ready for Christ to come back? And Christians will fuss about whether it's a rapture or he's just going to come and set up something or not set up, or we're just going to be in the end, they fight about those things. I understand that, and that's fair. But the real issue is, are they ready for when Christ comes back at all? And so I look at passages like this as reminders. Jesus could come at any time. He could come at any time. Are you ready? Hope that helps. Sam. Let's go to Greg listening in Grand Rapids, Michigan listening on Wnib. Greg, how can we help you this morning?
S10: Hey. Good morning Steven. Good morning. Um, a couple of real quick questions. Um, in regards to spiritual warfare, and I believe I'm going through a period with spiritual warfare. I lost my wife of 43 years in December of 2022 and just feel like I'm really being attacked. So I've been reading books in regards to spiritual warfare, and I find two different, uh, equations of the same topic. One is saying that we can, here on the earth, rebuke Satan in the name of Jesus Christ. I mean, just, you know, again, rebuking him with your word. I find others that I've read that say, well, you really can't. You shouldn't, because then you're opening up the door to Satan to actually more spiritual attacks. So how do you feel about that?
S1: I think that rebuking Satan is one of those things that should be resisted. We have an advocate. Let Jesus Christ do that. We come to Jesus and we ask him for help. We don't see a lot of rebuking by all the Christians all the time. In the New Testament. We see Christ doing that. We see the disciples and apostles doing that. We see even angels hesitating to do that. And so it's it's it's not an advisable practice. Does it open the door for more influence? I'm not sure I would say that that's what's happening. But I would say instead we have an advocate with the father. It's Jesus Christ. Come to Christ and ask him for your to defend you. Ask God to protect you. He's made promises that he will defend you. And we turn to him. We turn to Christ. We turn to the father for the help we need. When we feel that Satan is attacking and he does attack, I'm not denying that he attacks, but I think the most powerful advocate. We have the most powerful tool we have is not our own words. It's coming to Christ who has defeated Satan already. Now that does raise the question why am I feeling attacked at all? And the Lord, the Lord allows things to happen to us. He directs things to happen to us so that we might turn to him. And so I think that would be a better, a better process. Turn to the Lord. Who is your defender? Does that help as well?
S10: Absolutely. One of the authors I've been reading was Derek Prince, who actually advocates with using the power that Christ gives you to rebuke Satan. So it gives me something consistent. And again, I don't know if you know much about Derek Prince, but he's written quite a few books on that spiritual warfare.
S1: I don't see I don't see an actual deliverance of power from Jesus to us, in the sense that people want to use it. I feel at times that these conversations, these questions, sound like someone has maybe read a little too much Harry Potter and they want to use the power of Jesus like a wand. I have this power now that I can dispense at my will. Um, I just don't see that pattern in scripture so much. And because it's not really clear, I think we have an advocate and it's Jesus Christ, the defender. Let's come to him. Listen to that psalmist. Lord, where are you? Come to my aid. Defend me. Who can be a better defender than the Lord? True, right? True. So stick with him.
S10: Do you mind if I ask a real quick follow up question?
S1: Please go ahead.
S10: Yeah. This is in the same vein as spiritual warfare. Um, and I and I know that they're out there. My wife actually went to one, and they're Deliverance Ministries, where you actually go to either a church or a person's home. They lay hands on you and they try to deliver you from spiritual bondage. Uh, what do you think about these type of deliverance ministries?
S1: I think we have an advocate, Jesus Christ. I really do. I think Christians need to learn. We need to learn to turn to Christ. Turn to Christ, who is our deliverer. Turn in the power of the Holy Spirit. He can help us, and we need to learn to do that on our own. Jesus Christ can do that. And if you need a friend to be with you, to encourage you to turn to Christ, Amen. Bring that friend. But the idea that this one person has that power to do that for you, I just don't see that in Scripture. Yeah. Thanks for asking, Greg. Great questions. Yeah.
S10: Is it is it Steven or Stephan?
S1: Steven with a V, my mother would say. Yeah. Thank you. There you go. Great to talk with you, Greg. Thanks.
S10: You have a great day.
S1: Let's go to Jim in Albany, Georgia listening on w z q. Hi. Hi, Jim.
S7: I have I have a question about Luke chapter 13 where Jesus is talking about people entering the kingdom. And in verse 25, there are people who have already rejected the king here in his ministry on earth, and they want to get into the kingdom. And his answer to them is, I don't know where you are from. Uh, I'm reading currently from the new American Standard, the King James, the new King James says, I don't know you where you're from. And he says the same thing again in verse 27. Uh, and New American Standard. I don't know where you are from. And I think that's kind of surprising. I understand that he might say, I don't know you. That's basically what he says in Matthew. Uh, on, uh, on the Olivet discourse. Uh, but then after rejecting those who have rejected him as king, he rejects them on the basis I don't know where you are from. But then in verse 29, he says, they will come from east and west. These are the people who do get into the kingdom. They will come from east and west and from north and south, and will be able to recline at the table in the Kingdom of God. And I just find it unusual, a little bit strange that here in Luke, the rejection is on the basis of where you're from.
S1: So, Jim, I think so. I'm a Yankee and you're from the South, right? So I'd love to say, well, it means that Jesus has favorites. And obviously that's not right. I think what Jesus is doing here is acknowledging this master doesn't know these people. And one way to say that you don't know these people is to use this figure of speech to say, I don't know where you're from, where are you from? It's another way of saying, I don't know you. And then at the end, when he refers to people coming from the east and the west and the north and the south, what he means there is people are going to come from everywhere. I don't know you. You're local. You just walked right in. But I don't know you. You're from around here. You don't know me. I don't know you. But in the end, people are going to come from everywhere to get into that kingdom. I think he's just using this where you're from as a figure of speech, a way of saying, I don't really know you, you don't belong here. And people from outside who are far away, they're going to get in, they're going to be recognized, they're going to be known, and they're going to recline at the kingdom. And some who are last will be first and first will be last. The ones who are close are out and the ones who are from far away. They're going to get in and remember the context in which he's speaking. Many of his people would have thought, hey, I'm definitely in. Thanks for your call. We're going to take a break. I'm Steven Sanchez in the studio for Doctor Michael Dolnick. When we come back, our producer, Trish McMillan, will bring the mailbag into the studio, and we'll answer some of the questions you've sent in. Don't go away. Stay right there. No te vayas.
S8: Ministry isn't a solo effort. You know my voice. But if you could see inside our studio, you'd see a team behind the scenes putting open line on the air. Look a little further, and you'd see into the homes of listeners like you who give monthly to make this ministry possible. And when you join our team of Kitchen Table Partners, I'll send you a Bible study moment email every other week with tips and encouragement. Become a kitchen table partner today by calling (888) 644-7122 or go to Open Line radio.org. We're so glad that Febc partners with Open Line with Doctor Michael Radonich, bringing the Febc mailbag every week. Learn how far East Broadcasting Company is taking Christ to the world at febc. Org on their weekly podcast. Until all have heard with Ed Cannon, you'll hear stories of lives changed by Messiah all across the globe. Again, you can hear the podcast when you visit febc. Korg. That's FBC Korg.
S1: Welcome back to Open Line. I'm Steven Sanchez sitting in for Doctor Michael Melnick who's leading a tour of Greece and Turkey. It's time for the mailbag segment where we talk through a few questions that you've mailed in. And joining me with those questions is our producer, Trish McMillan. Trish welcome back. Thank you. Tell us something about Michael and crew. What are they up to? I wish I was there.
S11: I know they are. They are on the journeys of Paul, trip through the Mediterranean. So kind of hitting Greece and Turkey like you just said. And they're on day two, I believe. And so if you want to see pictures of what they're doing, um, they're beautiful pictures. Um, they are posting pictures on the Open Line Radio Facebook page. And so you can get to that, either look for Open Line Radio or you can link to that from our website, which is Open Line radio.org. There's a link to our Facebook page, and you can look at the pictures that got posted from day one when they were in Athens. Um, today they've been in Corinth, and then they hop and keep moving on. And so Michael's gone for the next two weeks. Um, you're here this week, and Mike Weber's will be here next week answering Bible questions. And I'm so thankful that you're here. You're doing a great job.
S1: You're you'll be in good hands next week. It'll be.
S11: Great. Yeah. So we've got you covered. Um, while Michael's gone, and then he'll be back at the end of the month.
S1: I love these trips to the to these places where people like to call it the Holy Land. I'm not sure I'd call it the Holy Land or these places, but Israel, Israel, Israel for sure.
S11: For sure. Yeah.
S1: Um, but Greece, Turkey, Israel, I've been to these places many times, and I'm going to go to Greece in March with students on spring break.
S11: Have you been before?
S1: I have been a few times, yeah.
S11: So what is something in Greece that helped, I guess, bring some of Paul's writings to life? Yeah.
S1: You know, I think people forget, especially modern Americans, the world we live in today looks more like the first century world than ever before. And here's what I mean by that. Not in terms of technology or anything like that, but in terms of culture and social mores. Right? We live in a world where Christ and Christianity is not the only gig out there, so to speak. There are other options, and people have other options, and we see them living their lives in other ways, in other cultures, other religions. That was the way it was in the first century. You go to Corinth, you see the idols, you see the altars, you see all the other options that Christians had. And you realize, oh, yeah, being a Christian in the first century was hard. Sounds like today being in the first Christian in the first century might have been confusing. Sounds like today people were leaving other religions to come to Christ. Sounds like today. I really appreciated that very much.
S11: Yeah, lots of lots of other people saying, no, this is the truth. This is the truth. Follow this over here.
S1: The America of the 20s did not look as much like the first century as it does today, which means the Bible. The New Testament applies in even more ways than than ever before to our culture.
S11: You mean the 1920s?
S1: Did I say 19? What did.
S11: I say? You said the 20s. I meant.
S1: The 1920s.
S11: No, I had a I had a conversation with my husband the other day, and he was like, you know, it's not like it was back in the 20s. And I said, we're in the 20s. Do you mean do you mean that old joke? No, I just. It surprised me when he said that. I was like, wait a minute. No, we're we're in the 20s. We just don't. The 20s. Anyway, I was just clarifying.
S1: People long for an older time when things were simpler. Yeah. Guess what? Here we are in this complicated time, and God has given us his word to speak to this complicated time. Yeah. It's great.
S11: And God is still changing lives. That's right. Through his word, which we have. So our first question is from Carmen in Illinois. She listens to WNYC, and she says that the four Gospels, and I will add in the Bible, were written to a different culture. What applies to us now? Um, is it the Jesus and repent, you know, live for him, work on sinning. That's what I believe. Should I change how I believe?
S1: Following on from what we were just saying. Yeah, it's true that the Gospels were written to the first century. Um, you might even say maybe people have heard that different gospels were written to a Jewish audience. One was written to more of a Gentile audience to deal with Gnosticism and all the religions that are out there. Fair enough. Those things are true. But I think we can grab all four gospels and say the cultures that they were written to back then were closer to one another than they are today. And so it's appropriate to ask the question, how much of that applies? Right. And I think what she has listed there, uh, turn to Jesus. Repent. Live for him. Work on sinning. Those are the basic principles on not sinning. Those are the principles. How we live those out in life is going to look different in our culture today, in some cases than others. Right. I mean, some sins are the same, whether you're 18, 20, 1920 or 1820 BC. Right. Don't steal your neighbor's wife. Don't steal his stuff. Don't take the Lord's name in vain. Like these are things that are transcultural, but other things might be different depending on the culture that we live in today. And they just don't apply. I mean, I don't go to a temple today. I don't bring an altar. I don't bring a sacrifice to an altar. And so any commands that are culturally bound that way are going to have to be adapted for living in the 21st century. Okay.
S11: How do we figure out which ones are culturally tied and which ones are kind of take precedence over how we live?
S1: We're going to do that humbly, because we are prone to pick something that we like and impose that on everybody, especially if.
S11: It's easy for us, especially.
S1: If it comes to us naturally.
S11: Right?
S1: Right. We're going to do that in community. I think believers should make these kind of decisions in community, meaning a church, a gathering of believers that know you and you know them and you talk to each other. It's not just you and the Holy Spirit in your closet, but rather we interpret in our communities. And then we're going to do it slowly and carefully because, look, we're not perfect interpreters. And so when I decide I'm not going to do this because it fulfills a principle that I think I see in Scripture, I'm going to say, all right, I need to have Christians ever done this before. And if the answer is, oh, yeah, this has been a long part of Christian tradition. Okay, that kind of makes sense. If I just made this up last night, I'm going to be very careful in deciding what I should choose to obey or choose to not obey. Okay. But most of the basic principles I think, are laid down for us.
S11: Okay. All right. Thank you. You're welcome. With that, Tony in Alabama has been following Christ for 46 years. Um, his church that he attends has is using Yeasted bread for the Lord's Supper, um, which he has not been able to take in good conscience. Because conscience, because of what the Scripture teaches, it teaches you to use unleavened bread, and that is historically what they've used. Um, and also some of the connotations to what Levin signifies in Scripture, meaning sin. Um, are there suggestions he doesn't want it to be an issue in the fellowship he's going to? So are there suggestions on how he might, uh, partake, not partake? Like, how should he handle this situation?
S1: I really respect this question because we all have our own convictions, and being sensitive to how we hold our convictions is is an important sign of maturity. I think in the Christian life, it doesn't surprise me that this man has been following Christ for 46 years. Like, okay, we can see that at work here. Some people hold their convictions close to their heart, others hold them out in front of them like a knife, and they poke everybody around them. So, uh, good. Thank you, Tony, for that, for that approach. Um, I would start by saying, I don't think the Bible teaches that we have to use unleavened bread. I don't think it teaches that. I think it I think we see that happening.
S12: Models that.
S1: There's no question that that's what they did. But I don't can't think of a scripture where Paul says, and you must use or Jesus says, and you must use. That's what they did. But is that a command for us to obey? I would say it's not a command for us to obey. Um, so that's number one. Number two, be careful about this conviction because it can be divisive as you've identified in your church, right? I mean, we do communion together. We're communing with the Lord. We're doing this together. We're communing with one another. And so there is a sense in which if people see you not taking, is there a good reason, and then it provides an opportunity to have a conversation about this and seeds of division get sown in. I think it starts with recognizing I don't think the Bible actually teaches this. So here's what I would do. I would say, okay, can you invite your leadership to add a few pieces of unleavened bread, some matzo crackers to the communion plate? I think that's a real simple solution. Nowadays people add gluten free bread and you can make your choice. And that makes sense to me. Um, keep your conviction to yourself. I would say that's really important. Like, don't feel like you need to impose this on everyone else. It's yours. If the Lord has given this to you. Keep it to yourself. Don't force. Number three, don't force it on other people. And then recognize that it will be hard to hide the fact that you're not taking this. It is. Maybe bring your own. I'm not sure I would want to recommend that, but I don't necessarily think it's sinful. The issue is don't let this become a source of division. And maybe the simple solution is invite your leadership to add a few pieces of matzo in the plate for you. And that would be an easy way to do it.
S13: Yeah. Okay.
S11: All right. Thanks for that question, Tony. I hope that that helps. Um, I think there are so many things of conviction that it can be easy to make them divisive in our churches. Um, and so, so I appreciate the response that we can apply to lots of other things. Yup. Um, Michael in Illinois listens to WNBA and wants to know how did Christ's name evolve to Jesus? I thought I had heard it was Yeshua, but I don't know how it got from that through the different languages.
S12: Sure.
S1: Um, this is an issue of translation and how languages pronounce things differently. Okay, so my grandfather's name is Jesus, okay. And when I say that in non-Spanish speaking contexts, almost everyone says to me, don't you mean Jesus? And I say, no, we're speaking English, I mean Jesus, but if we're speaking Spanish, then I mean Jesus. Language is pronounced the same words differently. And so in Hebrew or Aramaic, Yeshua is the pronunciation of Jesus's name Joshua. But as we move into Greek and into Latin and into all the other languages that we use, different languages simply pronounce that name differently. So the question becomes, should I call him Yeshua or should I call him Jesus? I think the answer is who are you speaking to? We're speaking in an English audience. We call him Jesus. Why? Because that's what we all call him. Speaking maybe to a messianic community or a congregation, you might use Yeshua. And it's different. And it's an issue of what language you're speaking in. We all know we're talking about the same person, okay.
S11: And Christ is a similar thing, right? Because that would be Messiah in.
S1: That's right. Moshiach in Hebrew. But then Christos in Greek, which then becomes Christ in English. Okay. And so we've got just different languages translating names and pronouncing them differently as we normally do across language. Okay.
S11: All right. Thank you for that clarification. You want to you want.
S12: To do.
S11: Do you want to do one more.
S12: You want to go to the break.
S1: No. Let's do number two. Do we have time for two.
S11: Sure. Robin in Illinois listens to WLM in Luke 16 nine. What does Jesus mean by unrighteous wealth?
S1: Yeah, this is a tricky it's a tricky passage because Jesus seems to be encouraging behavior that was unrighteous, right? This guy's a manager. He's about to get fired, and he wants to make friends so that they'll take care of him when he has no job. And how does he do it? He takes the master's bill and says, hey, you owe 50. Write down 30. He just gave him a discount, right? So the idea is when he leaves, everybody's going to take care of him, right? I think it's important to recognize Jesus is not encouraging dishonesty. He says, I tell you, make friends for yourselves by means of their unrighteous money, so that when it fails, they may welcome you into your eternal dwellings. I think he's praising the man's creativity. He's praising the man's initiative and resourcefulness, interest and guaranteeing making sure that his future will be secure. And for Jesus listeners, the point would have been make sure your future is secure. How do you make future? How do you make sure your future is secure? Turn to Christ. Turn to Christ. Believe the gospel. That's what he's encouraging. They're not encouraging you to pad your time sheet or cheat on your taxes. He's not encouraging that. He's encouraging. This man did whatever it took to make sure his future was secure. What are we doing? And our answer is we're looking to Christ. And when we proclaim the gospel, we're telling others, hey, turn to Christ. That's how you make your future secure.
S11: And that is as simple as believing that Jesus was sent as a baby to live the perfect life that we couldn't because we're sinners. He died for our sins on the cross. Was buried, rose on the third day proving he was God. And you just have to trust in him.
S12: Believe the gospel.
S1: Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures is what we see in the book of acts. Yep. Believe the gospel. It's as simple as that.
S12: All right.
S11: Thank you for that.
S12: Good questions.
S11: Thank you. Thank you. If you have a question for the mailbag, you can go to our website, which is Open Line radio.org. And there's a little form you can fill out that says Ask Michael a question. Those go right to my inbox. And so I can add those to the mailbag for next week. Um, so again, open line radio.org and I will be back next hour with more mailbag questions.
S12: Excellent.
S1: You're listening to Open Line with Doctor Michael Dolnick, and we'll be back in just a minute with your questions. If you have a question to call, the number is 87754836758775483675.
S14: When autumn rolls around.
S8: People are always interested in the Jewish fall holy days. That's why Chosen People Ministries is offering a free booklet, Celebrate Israel's High Holidays. This booklet explores the fall Jewish high holidays of Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, and Sukkot. Don't miss out, just go to the Open Line website. Open line radio.org. Scroll down and click on the link that says A free gift from Chosen People Ministries that will take you to a page where you can sign up for your very own copy of Celebrate Israel's High Holidays.
S1: Welcome back to Open Line. I'm Doctor Steven Sanchez, professor of Bible at the Moody Bible Institute, in the studio for Doctor Michael Radonich, who is on the moody journeys of Paul Tripp. He'll be back in two weeks. Until then, let's go straight to your calls. Robert in Cleveland listening on w CRF. How can I help you today?
S15: Yes, Steven, thank you for answering my call. I have an identity issue than a Christian. Most of my life. But I have an identity, uh, with something in my life. Or should I say a number of things? Knowing how basically how one should live versus where one should not live. And my question is, is that my loving football, baseball and basketball and wanting to watch them, could that become a sign of me putting God, I mean, putting idols before God. That's where I'm at with that.
S1: So let me ask you a question. Do you ever leave church to go catch the football game?
S16: No.
S1: All right. Do you avoid spiritual things because the time has been taken up with watching a baseball game?
S15: I probably have, but I can't say it happened more recently. It's.
S1: It's an important question. And what I'm basically asking is, to what extent do the things you love crowd out the spiritual things that are more important? Does that make sense? See how that works? Yes. What I'm asking there is. Wow. You know, if you if you follow the news and you check the score. Aaron judge hit another home run last night. It was a grand slam. That's one thing. Uh, when I'm ditching out of church early, avoiding conversation, I'm. I'm not reading my Bible. I'm not praying. I'm not serving because these other things are taking up more time in my life than I think we should. We should consider that that might be an issue. And it doesn't just have to be sports. All right, let's not pick on the sports people. For others, it's investing. It's their money. Ready? I'm going to say this one. This one might get me in trouble. For others, it might be their children. I mean, they they dote on them to an extent that they too, can become an idol. C.S. Lewis wrote about this in The Great Divorce. A great example of maybe it's just a little too much love for some of these other things that are not as important as the Lord himself. And there's no rule ten minutes, five minutes, two hours. Should I ever go to a game? Should I never go to a game? But I like the way you began this question with it's an identity. It can become an identity issue. And when I identify with my hobbies, whatever they are, I love to go backpacking and hiking and all that sort of thing. When that becomes my identity more than Christ and people know it. I think we might say, yeah, that's something to be addressed. What do you think?
S15: I thank you very much for addressing that. I feel somewhat the same way. Thank you very much.
S1: You're welcome. Thank you. Robert, Let's go to Santiago in Tennessee listening on w FCM.
S17: Yes. Hi. Hi.
S1: What's your call today? What's your question?
S17: My question is, Steve, is that, um. I know that the heart is very important, but why the heart is so important to God? Because, I mean, there's a lot of passages in the Bible that talks about the heart, but why the heart is so important? I mean, we have a human heart, of course, the flesh, the heart that we have inside our body, but the heart for God. Why is so important? Because, um, and I believe it's Psalm 37 says, delight yourself also in the Lord, and he shall give you the desires of your heart. But every time that we desire something is something like from this world or something from the spiritual world. But that's why this main reason, uh, because sometimes we worship him with our lips. But he says that our heart is so far from him because even though we worship with our lips. But why did he say that our heart is so far from him?
S1: Because the heart is the source of our intellect, our will. In the Old Testament they would have used a different organ for that. But as we move into the as we as we think about where we get our ideas from, our motivations, the heart functions metaphorically as the source of those things. I'm thinking specifically of Proverbs 423 above all else, guard your heart, for from it flows everything the course of your life, the springs of your life. This is the core of who we are. And nowadays we would think about that not physically so much, but our mind, what we think, what we say, what we do. If we get corrupted at the heart, at the source level, that's going to affect everything, right? If we get corrupted in the heart, the rest of the physical body falls apart. Well, spiritually speaking, if the heart is left unguarded and becomes corrupted, then that's going to affect all the rest of our lives. It's an important issue. We're not always careful. Thank you for your question. Well, that's our first hour. I hope you found that helpful. Isn't it great to dig into the Bible this way? So don't go anywhere because there's another hour of open line coming up on most of these radio stations. I'll take more of your calls. Trish will be back with the mailbag, and we'll keep studying the Bible together. If you have a question, the number to call is (877) 548-3675. Again (877) 548-3675. You can also send your questions to our open line website. Open line radio.org. Just fill out the Ask Michael a question section and you can send us your Bible question that way. Open Line radio.org Open line with Doctor Michael Dolnick is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of the Moody Bible Institute. We'll be right back. Don't go away.