S1: Hello friends. It's time for the second hour of Open Line with Doctor Michael Ray Dolnick Moody Radio's Bible Study Across America. We're talking about your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. My name is Michael Ray Dolnick. I am the academic dean and a professor of Jewish Studies and Bible at Moody Bible Institute. We're live today sitting around the radio kitchen table taking your questions. So give me a call. The phone number (877) 548-3675. If you can't call, you can always go to our web page. Uh, the website is open Line radio.org. And you click on that and ask the place where it says Ask Michael a question. You can post your question there and Trish will put it put it in the mailbag in upcoming weeks. I hope you have your Bibles open, and I hope you have a second cup of coffee, because we're ready to study the scriptures. But I have to tell you, I am so excited about our brand new resource. It's a new month, we've got a new resource, and I just think it's a terrific resource, and I can't wait to tell you about it. It is about the Bible. Have you ever wondered how we got the Bible we read today? How ancient manuscripts became the book you read? Well, Carl Laney's book, The Story of the Bible takes you on a journey from God's superintending human authors, writing the original manuscripts to transmission to modern translations. It leads us from beginning to end of how we got the Bible, the question of canonicity, which books were chosen and how they were put in the Bible. Doctor Laney reveals how God worked through these human authors to how God used scribes to copy the text, how God used translators to give us a Bible that we can read and understand. If there's any book that you'll ever read that will give you greater confidence in the Word of God, this is the book for you. It's called The story of the Bible, and it's yours when you give a gift of any size to open line. I'm so grateful for this resource. I love Carlini, I love his work. He taught for many, many years at Western Seminary in Portland and the you know, he's retired now, but he still runs ten K's all the time and stuff like that. So he is active writing and this is a book that that I got a copy of because I was interested and seeing if this would be a great book for the Open Line audience. I think it is a terrific, uh, just a terrific resource for you. And I get a lot of questions about how he got the Bible. So I thought, well, this is it. Uh, when you give a gift of any size, we'd like to say thank you by sending you a copy. Just go to our website, openline radio.org, or call (888) 644-7122. Don't miss out and make sure to ask for the story of the Bible when you give. Uh, we're going to talk to Amaya in Gurnee, Illinois, listening on Wmbi. Welcome to Open Line. Amaya, how can I help you?
S2: Hi. Good morning. Thank you so much for taking my call. I'm reading in the book of Samuel. And in first Samuel. Hannah prays for a son, and she's crying with a lot of anguish. So my question is, did she feel the Holy Spirit?
S1: Does it say that she felt the Holy Spirit?
S2: It doesn't. But I think that she could have felt the Holy Spirit. But there's rumor out there that Jesus wasn't. Since Jesus wasn't there, there wasn't. Um. There's no way she could have felt the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament. The Holy Spirit wasn't alive, is what they're saying.
S1: Yeah, well, that's a mistake. Uh, now, I don't know if she felt the Holy Spirit. When I cry out, sometimes I feel I sense the Holy Spirit, but sometimes I don't. Uh, and, uh, but to say that there was no Holy Spirit operating at that time is a mistaken inference. It's not right. Uh, it says, for example, in first Samuel chapter 11. So it's part of the same book written at the same time, not an event at the same time, but written at the same time. It said that when Paul, when Saul, not Paul, when Saul, the first king of Israel, heard the threats against Jabesh Gilead. Uh, the Spirit of God suddenly took control of him and his anger burned furiously. So first Samuel 11 six. There it is. Uh, Saul certainly felt the Holy Spirit, and it caused him to be angry at the attack on Jabesh Gilead. So, uh, was there a Holy Spirit operating in the Old Testament? You bet. There's a lot of other places I could show you. But beginning with the very first verse of the Bible, uh, where it talks about creation, in the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. Uh, and the earth was, I would translate it a wilderness and a waste. And then it says, uh, darkness covered the surface of the watery depths, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the surface of the waters. Was there a Holy Spirit operating then? You bet.
S2: Yeah.
S1: Okay. Thank you. Yeah. Thanks for your call, Amaya. Uh, always. God the father, God the son, God the Holy Spirit. Just the revelation, the clarity of the Trinity develops over time. But there always was a spirit of God operating. Uh, Garrett in Lake Worth, Florida, listening on RGM. Welcome to Open Line. How can I help you? And how is it in beautiful, sunny Florida? That's what I want to know.
S3: Good morning, Doctor Radonich. And greetings to to your wife. Uh, I have a question. Uh, uh, it's, uh, two questions in one. Uh, thank you for taking my call. Uh, when did the mother of Jesus die? And where and how old were they? My her and, uh, Joseph, my grandson, 11, asked me this question.
S1: Well, you got to tell your grandson there are a lot of things we just don't know. And we do. It does appear that by the time we see the Lord Jesus as an adult in his adult ministry, Joseph seems to have passed from the scene. He probably has died by this point. And the mother of the Lord Jesus is a widow. It does appear that way, although it never states it categorically. It's just that Joseph isn't around. Uh. Where and when and where she's buried. How, Mary? The Bible doesn't tell us. Uh. It just doesn't say. And so I'm sure there are traditions in other churches and places like that, but according to Scripture, there's no word of it. And so it's just something that God knows and we don't. Okay.
S3: I searched the scriptures myself and I couldn't find any.
S1: No, there's nothing about it. So. Okay. Garrett, thanks for your call. Appreciate it. Uh. We're, uh. Are we in the window? No. We're not. Okay. Uh, we're going to talk to Nicole in Cleveland, Ohio, listening on wtxf. Welcome to Open Line, Nicole. How can I help you?
S4: Hi. Thanks for taking my call. It's so great to hear from you. And my question is, um, if you do, you have to be a pastor or a minister, you know, somebody of that status to be able to baptize someone or can a person that is a Christian baptize a person that is a new believer?
S1: I don't see anything in Scripture that says it has to be someone who is a pastor. I just don't see it. Uh, Nevertheless, some local churches might say that, and I would respect what decisions a local church has about that. So okay.
S4: Because my son is has a friend that's going that goes to a church that they do that. And um, that's why I wanted to get your opinion to know if that.
S1: Yeah, I would, I would respect I would respect the authority of a local church if that's what they want. That's what I would do. Uh, although I don't see anything in Scripture that compels me to say it must be the pastor or an elder or someone from that church that does it. Uh, but uh uh, so, for example, when when I go to Israel, there are always people that want me to baptize them, uh, in the, the Jordan. And I always say, well, I baptize in the wider Jordan, which is the the Sea of Galilee. It's the same water. It's just it's a little easier to get in it. And then, uh, the other thing that I say is I have some limits. I really encourage people not to be rebaptized. The first baptism counted, you know, in terms of if you became a believer and then you were baptized, you being in the water in Israel doesn't make any difference. And then the other thing I say is, if you were baptized as a baby and you want to be baptized for real as a follower of Jesus, uh, that I'm okay with that. But is the church you're attending going to be okay with that? I don't want to baptize someone if I'm not their pastor, and their church would say no, you must be baptized by the the pastor. And so that's the limitation I put on it. I don't want to I don't want to disrespect the local church. Okay, okay.
S4: Thank you so much.
S1: Yeah. Okay. Thanks for your call. Appreciate it. Uh, Angie. Uh, I don't know where you're calling from. Where are you calling from?
S5: Uh, Chattanooga, Tennessee. WNBA.
S1: Hey. That's great, I could tell. You know what? If you had just talked, I would have been able to guess that.
S5: You would have known I was southern. Thank you for taking my call. Yeah, um, I just lost my daddy December 31st. I'm 56. He was 82. I'm sorry. I'm an only child. That was a daddy's girl. Thank you. It's, uh. I'm. We're Christians. We're believers. But this this is this has taken me down a dark road. Mhm. I'll need to know, does my daddy remember me in heaven?
S1: In my opinion, uh, when we go to heaven, there's nothing in Scripture that says that God has some divine neuralyzer where he makes us forget. Uh, do you remember the Neuralyzer and Men in Black? You know where they were? Yeah. Yeah, that doesn't happen. I do think God brings his special comfort for the pain that we have, the sorrows that we've had. I don't I think that God. Because he'll wipe away every tear. So that means he comforts us. It doesn't mean he removes the memory. Uh, okay. And, uh, so I'm absolutely convinced that we will recognize and remember each other. And we remember each other even before we recognize each other, because obviously you're not there yet. Uh, the other the one thing that sometimes people think, and I, I differ with my friend Mike Vanlandingham. I don't believe that your daddy can see what you're doing right now. Uh, I don't think your father does that. Uh, I think that he is taken up with what's going on. We don't become divine little mini beings that have omniscience. Heaven is an utterly different, uh, place. And God can see what's going on on earth. I don't believe that we do when we die, but his memory is intact, maybe even stronger of all the details of his loving relationship with you. And I think that that is something that that he celebrates while he's there in heaven. And he looks forward to you being there with him someday. Uh, so that's what I would say. Uh, however, he's not watching you now. You know who's watching you? Someone even better. The Lord Jesus is never going to leave us or forsake us. So the Lord Jesus is watching out for you now. Okay. Does that help? Angie up? Seemed to have lost Angie, but I hope that she heard that. Uh, so we're going to take a break here. When we come back, uh, we'll talk with you about your questions about the Bible, God, and the spiritual life. You're listening to Open Line with Michael Ray Dolnick, and we're going to be taking many more questions. So stay with us right here on Moody Radio. And we're back. Hey, I was at National Religious Broadcasters this past week, and I actually met some people from different stations and one, you know, they were they were like the exact team from different stations and so forth. And one of the coolest things was this it wasn't a moody, uh, owned and operated station, but rather one of the many affiliates that take programming from Moody Radio. And they we met and they said one of the people on the team said, I'm a kitchen table partner. And I was so pleased, uh, to see someone who actually is running a radio station and wants to be a kitchen table partner. It just shows to shows me how wide a team we have and how grateful I am for everyone on that team. It's not just the team that I see here. Like Omar shaking his head right now, uh, or to hear her, but also the team of people who wanted to bring Moody Radio onto their station open line on their station. But in addition, they're there helping by giving monthly so that I can be on the air weekly. And I am so grateful that they're doing that. And I was hoping that some of you who are listening, you may have given one time or you give whenever there's a new resource because you want to get the resource, but you haven't really determined that you want to give monthly. I hope maybe you'll consider that becoming a kitchen kitchen table partner. You'll still get the resource that we offer, but this would give us a great confidence. And, and, uh, the certainty of when we were making budgets and things like that. Uh, it'll keep us on the air, and we so appreciate it if you'll consider it. Uh, if you if you will, uh, then all you have to do is go to Openline radio.org. Uh, you can also, uh, call 877. I'm sorry, not eight. 77 ah, I keep I keep getting that that number confused with our call in number. Uh, if you want to, you can call (888) 644-7122. That's (888) 644-7122. If you'd like to become a kitchen table partner, if you do, we'll send you an audio Bible study every other week. In your email, you get to listen to it. I hope you'll enjoy that. Uh, we're going to talk now with Mark in Florida listening on WLKY's. Welcome to Open Line. Mark, how can I help you.
S6: Yeah. Thank you so much for taking my call I appreciate it.
S1: Sure.
S6: Okay. My question is in reference on, uh, Daniel nine where it talks about the seven years, the time, time, time and a half, which is seven years. And I'm trying to.
S1: Know the time times and the half time times and time and a half. That one. That's the the times. Time and time and a half. Time. That's it. Yeah. That's three and a half years, not seven.
S6: Okay.
S1: And it's the second that refers to the second half of the tribulation period, which is a seven year period.
S6: Okay. That was my question. Was that the second half of the tribulation. Yeah. And another thing was the four horsemen was that in the second half or the the beginning part of it?
S1: The four horsemen of the apocalypse.
S6: Off the apocalypse in revelation.
S1: Yeah. Unlike a student of mine who called them the Four horsemen of the Acropolis. Uh, the the the four horsemen of the apocalypse are, uh, in revelation six and it says, I looked and saw a white horse, and the horseman on it had a bow. A crown was given to him, and he went out as a victor to conquer the word for crown. There is not the normal crown that's used for the crown of the Lord Jesus, and this is referring to a different king that will have authority in the tribulation period. That's the beast. This has to do with the authority of the beast. And then, uh, the second horse is red fiery red horse, and that refers to war. Uh, the third horse is a black horse. And the horseman on it had a set of scales in his hand. And it has to do with inflation, believe it or not, because a quart of wheat for a denarius, a full day of pay just to get a bag of wheat. And then the fourth seal is death, uh, a pale green horse, and it causes a plague for a fourth of the earth. Okay, those are the Four horsemen of the apocalypse, and they take place in the first half of the tribulation. They are part of the seal judgments. Uh, the first, second, third and fourth seal, the six first six seal judgments take place in the first half of the tribulation. And then the seventh seal opens the trumpet judgments. And those are the second half of the tribulation. Okay.
S6: So much I appreciate it.
S1: Yeah. Thanks for your call. Really appreciate it. We're going to talk to Fred in Minnesota listening on 102.7 the word. Hey Fred, how can I help you today.
S7: Thank you. Mike, uh, I got a question that's been zooming around this area in my head as well. And does the Bible support flat earth or round global Earth?
S1: Well, uh, do you think the Bible would support something that's absolutely untrue?
S7: Absolutely, I do not.
S1: Okay. I don't think so either. So, uh, the Bible really doesn't talk about, uh, the atmosphere in that way, but, uh, it does have a verse in Isaiah that, uh, talks about the sphericity of the earth. It's Isaiah 40 and I believe verse 22, uh, and there it talks about God sitting over the circle of the earth. And the circle, uh, could be translated easily as the sphere, the, the, the roundness, the sphericity. God sits on this over the sphere of the earth. God is enthroned above the sphere of the earth. Now, most versions say circle, but it's talking about a sphere. And so it does appear there that it's talking about the earth being round. Now, what is important to remember is, you know, it talks about the four corners of the earth and things like that. Well, just because of using figures of speech like that doesn't mean the Bible is saying the Bible that the earth is flat any more than the weatherman who talks about, you know, I, I listen to local news and they have the weather and they'll talk about sunup is certain. You know, sunrise is a certain certain time doesn't mean that they really believe the sun rises. It just is common expression. Uh, common way of speaking to talk about sunrise. But it doesn't mean that they believe that the sun is rotating around the Earth, right? So. Okay. Okay. Yes. Yeah. So, no, the Bible does not support a flat earth. It does support the idea of a sphere of an Earth. Okay.
S7: Okay.
S1: Good. Thanks for your call. Appreciate it. We're going to talk to, uh, Gary also listening on 102.7 the word wow. Two in a row. Uh, welcome to Open Line, Gary. How can I help you?
S6: Thank you. Thank you for taking my call. But, um, I have been studying the Bible, and I was wondering if you could explain to me in the Bible what is what is the purpose of baptism?
S1: The purpose of baptism is to be a public identification for our faith. Uh, identifying with the Lord Jesus publicly. Uh, I think you see that.
S8: Hey, what verse in the Bible says that?
S1: Give me a second. I'll get there. Uh. And, uh, we're going to look at acts uh, eight. It's where, uh, Philip said, uh, to the Ethiopian. He said he ordered the chariot. Wait. Wait a second. Philip proceeded to tell the Ethiopian official the good news about Jesus beginning from the scriptures, and obviously he believed. And the official said, look, there's water. What would keep me from being baptized? And Philip said, if you believe with all your heart, you may. And he replied, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. And he ordered the chariot to stop, and both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water. So obviously, uh, more of an immersion. And he baptized him, immersed him. Uh, and that's, that's, uh, I think a good example that the eunuch, the Ethiopian official, wanted to publicly identify with his faith. Another purpose of baptism is to identify with the death and resurrection of Jesus. You can read about that in Romans six, that we died with him and were raised to new life. That's that's a pretty clear explanation of a purpose. Uh, and so that's what I would say the purpose is. Here's the thing. God expects believers to be baptized. There's no such thing as an unbaptized believer in the Bible. Uh, when someone comes to faith, they are baptized. Now, there are today there are some people who baptize babies. I would say that that's not something I would agree with. It's not something I want to go to war about, but it's not something I agree with. I think believers are the ones who are baptized. And then there are some churches that believe in adult or believer baptism. Not necessarily adult, but believer baptism. And what they do is they want to make sure you're on the track to discipleship. I'm not sure I agree with that either. I think we should be baptized really, as soon as we come to faith in Jesus. Uh, however, uh, you know, I would respect that as well. I don't want to go to war over that. That's that's what I would say. Thanks for your call. Really appreciate it. Gary. Uh, we're going to come back with the mailbag in just a moment, so stay with us. You're listening to Open Line with Michael Wright on Moody Radio. We'll be right back. Welcome back to Open Line. My name is Michael Melnick. I am so glad to be with you. It's time for the FBC mailbag. I'm really grateful for Far Eastern Broadcasting Company for their ministry, which brings the gospel to people all around the globe, through media and through personal engagement. I'm also grateful that they partnered to bring you the Febc mailbag, and I really recommend check out their website febc. Org and also click on the link to their podcast. Until all have heard, it will give you great encouragement about the work that they're doing about bringing the gospel to the world. And joining me right now is Tara Haynes for the Febc mailbag. Hey, to hear it. So you look at all the questions. I know Trish puts the mailbag together, but you look at the questions, do you like, think, oh, I want that one answered. I want that one. Or do you just say whatever. Whatever's there we'll go with the next one. What do you think?
S9: There's a little bit of reviewing the questions, but for the most part, we want to get to as many of the questions as possible that our listeners give us. So we try to go through all of them except.
S1: For the hard ones. Right.
S9: You're okay with the hard ones too, Michael? You can do it.
S1: There are times I'm thinking, oh, man, I wish Eva were here. So that's a hard one. I want to be able to answer that one. So anyway, uh, well, let's, let's, let's see what we can do with these.
S9: Excellent, excellent. We will start with Jeff, who wrote to us on Facebook, if you had to explain the Last Supper to someone who just read it for the first time, how would you go about doing that?
S1: Well, it's it's really important to recognize that the Last Supper really should be called the last Seder. Uh, the order of the Passover. It was a Passover meal. I think that's significant because the scriptures seem to point to the Passover lamb as sort of a foreshadowing of what the Messiah would do. Uh, you know, John the Baptist and John one, he sees the Lord Jesus coming to be baptized. And what does he say? Behold the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world. And then also in first Peter chapter one, looking backwards at at the atonement of the Messiah, the the death and resurrection. Here's what it says in first Peter 118 for you know that you were redeemed from your empty way of life, inherited from the fathers, not with perishable things like silver or gold. But now verse 19 says, but with the precious blood of the Messiah, like that of a lamb without defect or blemish. And so there it describes the Lord Jesus as a Passover lamb. And so the Last Supper was sort of like the the ultimate foreshadowing of what the Messiah was about to do. When he would be betrayed, he would die as are, without spot or blemish, perfect lamb, and he would be raised again. And so that's it should be viewed as a Passover Seder. And one of the things I've done for like the last 50 years since I was a teenager. I started doing this. Believe it or not, when I was a teenager is I would go to churches and explain what a Jewish Passover meal was like and how the Lord Jesus fulfills that. And it's something that I've enjoyed doing in many, many, many churches to help them understand the Last Supper as a Passover Seder. Okay. Well, thank.
S9: You for helping us understand it as well. Thank you. And you did just ask about the order of the questions. We actually have another question about the Last Supper. This one is from Joyce on Facebook. She says she is working on a painting of Jesus's Last Supper. Um, with the seating, the table setting and the actual foods. She wanted to know what type of foods are there? Was there unleavened bread? Was there wine? Were there olives? That's the gist of her. Were there.
S1: Olives? Okay, well, there were olives on the Mount of Olives, I will tell you that. But they probably weren't ripe at that season quite yet. Uh, what was on the table? First of all, there was unleavened bread, and they ate it. The Lord Jesus, when he said, this is my body. He was taking a piece of unleavened bread, uh, and said, this is a symbol. Well, this is my body is what he says, but I think he clearly is talking about a symbol. And the reason why is, yes, there was horseradish, uh, on the table. Likely there was salt water as well, because at a, at a Jewish Passover meal, you took, uh, green greens like parsley. So that would have been on the table and you dipped it in salt water. The green represents life. The salt water represents tears. And it says, when we were slaves in Egypt, our lives were dipped or immersed in tears. And so there was salt water to represent tears. There was the the green Vegetable to represent our lives. There is horseradish or a bitter herb ground up. The sop that the New Testament talks about that was ground up horseradish that indicates our lives were filled with bitterness. This was bitterness. And so there were a variety of things like that. So yes, there was horseradish, there was parsley, kind of green vegetable. There was salt water, all those elements. There was the lamb that they offered. So they ate lamb. Uh, whether they're olives, I don't know. But all that and they all now what I think is significant about all these items and this is I know a lot of my friends want to find some, uh, spiritual presence of the Lord Jesus in these items. And they say, look, he said, this is my body when he held up the matzo. Well, he. Everything at the Seder table was symbolic. When you point at the salt water, these are our tears. When you point at the horseradish, this is our bitterness. So when the Lord Jesus held up the matzo and said, this is my the unleavened bread, the matzo. When he held it up and said, this is my body. No one at that table would have said, oh, he's talking about his spiritual presence within the body. They would have said, aha! This is a symbol of his body, just as the horseradish is a symbol of our bitterness, as the salt water is a symbol of our tears. And so that's what would have been on the table. And olives, I don't know. There's nothing significant about olives, so I don't know.
S9: Thank you. Michael. Okay, Joyce, we wish you the best with that painting. We also have a question from Judith in Illinois, listening through WNYC. Where did the where did Old Testament saints like Abraham go when they died?
S1: Uh, Bethlehem. No. Uh.
S9: Thank you. Michael.
S1: Yeah, they just left town. They're out of here. A lot of people think, you know, there's a place in the Bible called Sheol, and it's the abode of the dead. And a lot of people think, oh, uh, Old Testament saints like Abraham were locked there. And then at some point, usually at the resurrection, somehow it's said that the Lord Jesus, uh, allowed them into heaven, and they weren't there at that time yet. But when the Lord Jesus spoke the parable of Lazarus and the rich man, obviously Abraham was there in what I would say, the presence of God in the abode of God. And that's why he's comforting Lazarus. That makes sense. It does? Yeah. So, uh, so I, you know, I would say that we, we get a little too technical in saying, oh, there's this place. This place, as far as we know, the abode of the dead for for the believer, it was a place of comfort in heaven. Uh, just like today.
S9: Okay.
S1: And the abode of the dead also had a second area that was a place of suffering. Like where the rich man went. Uh, just as there is today. Uh, and the Lord Jesus today is the one that would, I think, be the one bringing comfort to someone that dies today. But, yeah, I think Abraham was in heaven. Okay.
S9: Thank you.
S1: Yeah. And the resurrection. They will indeed be resurrected. Uh, and Daniel 12, it talks about at the return of the Lord. Uh, at the Second coming at the end of the tribulation period. The dead in the Old Testament, the the faithful of the Old Testament will be resurrected. Thank you. Well, thanks for that. To hear Haynes bringing the questions from the mailbag. My name is Michael Riedel. We'll be right back with more of your questions right here on Open Line. And we're back. I am so glad to see all the people that are calling and asking questions about the scriptures. You know what that tells me? It tells me that you're reading the Bible and you're having questions, and I so appreciate it. Uh, one question I get frequently is how important is it to reach Jewish people with the good news? And that's a question often asked of those serving with Chosen People ministries as well. And that's why Chosen People Ministries is offering a booklet called To the Jew First and the 21st century. was written by Doctor Al Mohler, who is the president of Southern Baptist Seminary, and it reaffirms God's love for the Jewish people, but shows why believers must also continue to present the good news of the Messiah, Jesus, to the Jewish people. Doctor Mohler says Jewish evangelism is the clearest test case for faithfulness to the gospel in this generation. For your free copy of To the Jew First in the 21st century, just go to our website openline. radio.org. Scroll down. You'll see a link that says A free gift from Chosen People Ministries. Click on that and you'll be taken to a page where you can sign up for your very own copy of To the Jew First in the New Millennium. Well, we're going to go right back to the phones now. Uh, Bruce in Mount Prospect, Illinois, listening on Wmbi. Welcome to Open Line. Bruce. How can I help you?
S10: Yes. Thank you for your show. I really appreciate it. Thanks. So a two part question. I lead a Bible study, and from time to time, from the guys. I get the two questions about children. One has to do with a baby that's born stillborn or a born baby, and they die. And I have a perspective on it, whether they go to heaven or not. But I wanted to hear yours. And then I have a second question, but I'll let you answer the first, if that's okay.
S1: No, we only do one question. Oh, okay. Unless it's related a follow up. Well.
S10: It is. And that the question is, do children that have professed Christ, they go to heaven and we reunite with them. Will they still be children or they will be something different?
S1: Okay. Well, first of all, the Bible really doesn't speak directly to the issue of whether or not children who are babies go to be with the Lord. But there's a hint in second. Samuel. Stillborn. Yeah. Uh, A second Samuel 12, where David says of his child that dies his baby. He said, I'll go to him, but he will never return to me. And so it does appear that David has hope of seeing that child, uh, in, in the afterlife. And so after the earthly life. And so it does appear, I think that and there's some arguments that theologians make, but it seems to me that a child, one way of thinking about this is that sin nature doesn't set us apart from God. It doesn't separate us from God. But sinful actions and babies have not reached an age of accountability yet where they have committed moral failure. And and therefore. And if someone says, well, my toddler, if you could see how misbehaving. Yeah, they're a toddler is a toddler. They're not doing it because they're rebelling against God. They're doing it because they're a toddler. So that's right. Right. Uh, okay. And what age they will be. Your guess is as good as mine. Uh, the I believe will be timeless in eternity, so I don't know. Uh, I hope I'm not the age I am now in eternity because my knees really hurt and, uh. Yeah. Okay, so. And I, I used to have hair a long time ago. I was hoping in my resurrected body to have hair again, but. So. Right. Okay, Bruce, we'll get new bodies.
S10: But I guess my question was a child that dies at, say, 12. They profess Christ. Would they still be still be 12? Or do they get entirely new bodies at some form?
S1: If only I knew. Oh, no. Yeah. Yeah. I don't know. Yeah. Yeah. Okay. Okay. Thank you. I don't want to be my age, so maybe he doesn't want to be 12. I don't know, so.
S11: Yeah. Okay.
S1: Thank you. Okay.
S12: Yeah.
S1: You know, I think if that once again, I keep saying the Bible doesn't satisfy our curiosity. It only gives us the truth that we need to know. So we're going to talk with Barbara in Plymouth, New Hampshire, listening online. Welcome to Open Line. How can I help you, Barbara?
S13: Hi. Um, quick question in first, I mean, I'm sorry, in John, uh, where it speaks about right in the beginning, um, that the word was God. The word was with God. I looked in the Moody Bible Commentary, and it had a really good excerpt on this, and it pretty much whet my appetite for more. And I didn't know if you had any resources that somebody has actually written on this topic of the word being God and with. Yeah, with God. And.
S1: Uh, well, there's a book, uh, and if I could find it, Uh, I would tell you what it is. Uh, I read I have it on my shelf in my library. Um. Uh, I can't think of the name of it or the author, but I'll tell you what it's about. It's about the Hebrew concept. It's a it's a scholarly book. I'm not sure it's something that you would want. It's, uh. Uh, it's about the memra. That's the Hebrew concept of the word as God. Uh, in in, uh uh, wow. Uh, the memorized the word of God. The word became flesh as deity. Uh, and so, you know what, Barbara? How about this? Why don't you listen next week and I'll. I'll check out the, uh, the my library and come up with that book for you. Is that okay?
S13: That's fine. Yeah.
S1: Uh, I'd have to go to my bookshelf and find that book. And, uh, it's it's it's a deep dive. I think it was a doctoral dissertation at one time. Uh, but that's that's it. There are some people who think that it's not based on the word, the Hebrew word memra, which is translated logos. Some people think it's related to Philo, who was a Jewish philosopher of the first century BC. And he wrote a lot about the logos, but I don't think so. I think it's about the memra. Okay. Okay.
S13: Yeah.
S1: Okay, great. Yeah. I'm glad. Thanks. Thanks for your call. Appreciate it. And we're going to speak with Leon in Florida. Welcome to Open Line, Leon. How can I help you?
S14: Her question is, in one place in the Bible, it says that Judas took the money back to the priest and threw it to him. And in another policy, he bought a field and fell headlong. So can you explain that to me?
S1: Yeah. Uh, in Matthew 27, uh, it speaks about the death of, uh, Judas. And that's what it says there. Uh, so after Judas, I think it's. Yeah, it says, uh, it says that he threw silver into the sanctuary and departed, and he went and hanged himself. The chief priest took the silver and said, it's not lawful to put it into the temple treasury, since it's blood money. This is verse six five and six. So they conferred together and bought the potter's field with it as a place of foreign for foreigners. Therefore, the field has been called blood field to this day to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Jeremiah. Uh, I think that in the one place it says that he tossed it to them. Uh, clearly he did. He threw the silver into the sanctuary. Uh, but they didn't want to just accept it back. And so what they did is in the name of Judas, they, uh, they they bought that field. They didn't buy it in the name of the Sanhedrin. They bought it in the name of Judas. They took the money. They wouldn't receive it back. They said here. And so in in a sense, Judas bought it, even though they were the ones that handled the money because they didn't want to accept it back. So they took it and bought it in Judas name. So that's why another passage might say Judas bought a field. It wasn't technically, uh, it was technically he who bought it, even though it was done through the Sanhedrin, who took the money back in that way, they wouldn't accept it back. Uh, they didn't want to have blood money on their hands, so they used it to buy a field of blood. So. Okay, I hope that helps. Uh, Leon, uh, let's see if we can get one more question in, Uh, uh, let's talk to Linda in, uh, on line four and, uh, Waterloo, Iowa. Hey, Linda. How can I help you today?
S15: Oh, I'm so glad to talk to you.
S1: We're way down in time, so just go ahead with your question.
S15: You betcha. I want to know what the Bible specifically says about the church getting involved in politics.
S1: I think that, uh, this is a real quick answer. Did you ever hear me talking about politics on Open Line? No, no. Do you know why I want to? I want to advance the kingdom of God. Uh, and certainly we have to be good citizens. And as good citizens, we can take political positions as individuals. But as a church, uh, I think we can take political positions, but we don't advance any political party. We advance the kingdom. Kingdom of God. That's my opinion. So.
S15: So. so the people that the preachers that are preaching politics from the pulpit, you would say that you would not.
S1: Let me just say it's not something I would do when I was a pastor, I would I would preach morality, I would preach preach holiness. Uh, and I would even say there are political positions. Like, I was always very outspokenly pro-life, uh, which some people think is political, but I think is moral. That's what I would say. Anyway, that's the program for the week. Thanks for your call, Linda. Thanks for listening to everyone else. And thanks for the Open Line team, Tricia, for putting the questions together to here for producing today. Omar, uh, for being our engineer and Lisa for taking care of everything. Check out our web page, Open Line radio.org. There's even a link to my personal web page. There you can see what's coming up. Keep reading the Bible. We'll talk about it next week. Open line with Doctor Michael Dolnick is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.