S1: Stefano has traveled the world with a passion to demonstrate the love of Christ. His special calling is to love Jewish people and point them to their Messiah. As you can imagine, he's got some interesting stories to tell. Coming up, you'll get an update on people he's met, strategies he's using, and ways to pray. Plus, we'll cover all the headlines from the Middle East and answer some intriguing Bible questions. Welcome to the land and the book your host. A lifelong student of the Middle East, Doctor Charlie Dyer. And I'm John Yeager. Charlie. As usual, there is no shortage of fog in the news covering Israel in the Middle East. Right?
S2: Oh, you're absolutely right, John.
S1: We're going to get to all of that in a moment. First, though, as believers, there's a great need for us to share the gospel with the Jewish people. In fact, many of our listeners faithfully pray and partner with ministries doing just that. But what if you could personally take part in bringing the gospel to Jewish people.
S2: Yeah, and that's why our friends at Life in Messiah would love the opportunity to get believers involved in Jewish ministry. They regularly organize outreach teams to Brooklyn, South Florida, even to Israel, outside times of conflict. These ministry trips will equip you to understand how to share the gospel with Jewish people, give you the opportunity to actively share your faith, and provide tools and resources that you can take home with you. If you want to get hands on training and practical experience in Jewish evangelism, you can learn more by visiting Life in messiah.org and clicking on the Moody radio button there. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: Thank you Charlie. And now a look at current events from the Middle East. After announcing an imminent attack on Iran, President Trump then canceled that attack at the last moment. Are the president's ever changing threats just empty words, or could there be something more strategic in his apparent course reversals?
S2: Yeah. Our problem is we don't have access to all the information we need to form a clear picture. Different media sources pick and choose the data that matches their narrative. And some of that data comes from individuals who have political, economic, or religious interest in how the story is presented and shaped. A good approach is to be reading a wide range of sources right now. It's also possible that President Trump's threats have been bluffs using the art of the deal, so to speak, to force Iran to back down. But even if that's not the case, could the pattern of threats followed by later walking back those threats, lead Iran to believe the U.S. wasn't able or willing to act? However, it's possible this most recent pause was actually in response to back channel negotiations. Iran's denial of any negotiations likely points to divisions within their leadership, with one group negotiating while another denies the negotiations are taking place. The fact that Saudi Arabia and the other Gulf states encouraged President Trump to return to diplomacy could have been prompted by signals from inside Iran. But let me add, after all of that, a third possibility it's possible this pattern of threats and strikes, followed by pauses and negotiations could be part of a deliberate U.S. plan to keep Iran off guard. It does seem the U.S. has pushed for negotiations, but then pivots back to threats of attack if Iran begins stalling. Applying sufficient military pressure lets Iran know the U.S. is serious and then being willing to put up with criticism when strikes are called off. Is more quiet diplomacy and looking at the bigger picture from the U.S. part. So in addition to reading widely, what I would suggest is that people look for patterns of behavior. Where else can we go to make sense of all the confusion. Well, here's three possibilities. First, keep focusing on the Strait of Hormuz. Will Iran be able to close it off with its threats, or can U.S. military pressure keep oil and other goods flowing? A second. Listen for details on Iran's nuclear program. Will pickaxe mountain be bombed, or will Iran allow the International Atomic Energy Association to resume monitoring its facilities? And finally, watch for information on Iran's proxies Hezbollah, the Houthis and Hamas. Are they being resupplied by Iran, or are they being isolated by the West and by the Gulf states? You know, we need to look beyond the rhetoric and focus on what's actually taking place on the ground.
S1: Well, Charlie, let's talk for a moment about Hamas. They have apparently agreed to the board of Peace's 12 point plan to disarm and rehabilitate Gaza. Is that true? And is there any stock in it?
S2: Yeah. The agreement's been called historic, and it appeared initially to have been agreed to by Hamas. However, by saying we agree, we mean we don't agree. This is really important when you read beyond the headlines, for example, Hamas said it would disarm and then it said, well, it'll do so after Israel withdraws from Gaza. Right. At the same time, there's reports that Hamas has been distributing rifles and other so-called, quote, personal weapons to operatives claiming to disarm while passing out weapons is deceptive, even beyond the weapons. The larger issue, and this is the nature of Hamas's commitment to any peace treaty with Israel, one of the former mediators in the process characterized the deal as Hamas's most far reaching proposal. And specifically, he said, the goal is a, quote, long term cease fire and Israeli withdrawal. But several key points were overlooked by most media in the West. For example, the Arabic word used to describe the long term cease fire was hudna, not peace treaty. A hudna is a temporary truce that suspends the fighting. In an interview, Hamas's spokesman specifically said the group would not change its mentality or its goals. It remains committed to Israel's destruction. In addition, the agreement didn't say the heavy weapons and armament would be removed from Gaza. It said they would be kept in a storage facility in Gaza. Well, how long might it take for that facility to be raided or have weapons smuggled out? Right. Israel isn't willing to accept the proposal. After nearly 40 years of fighting Hamas, it's easy to see why they can't be trusted. Thankfully, the Board of Peace did respond to Israel's concerns after a meeting with Prime Minister Netanyahu. They issued a clarification, saying Israel's pullback beyond the yellow line will occur only after Hamas disarms. So we'll need to wait and see what's actually going to happen.
S1: If you're just joining us, this is the land and the book from Moody Radio. Middle East expert doctor Charlie Dyer, our host. I'm John Gager, helping us walk through a list of current events from the Middle East this week after a period of relative quiet. The Red heifer is back in the news in Israel. What's the latest on efforts to produce a red heifer and why is it so important?
S2: You know, it's hard to believe, John. It was four years ago this month that five red heifers were brought to Israel from Texas. The initial excitement kind of faded a bit over time. Two of the animals were disqualified after black and white hairs appeared on their bodies, and apparently one of the three remaining red heifers was killed by mistake during a demonstration showing how the ashes of the red heifer are to be prepared. So two of the original five remain, but they're now four years old. Rabbinic tradition says the animal is to be sacrificed in the third or fourth year, with the third year preferred, so it doesn't grow any discolored hairs. So time has just about run out for them. But over the past two months, two new red heifers have been born in Israel. Their births were announced by the National Institute for the study of the red heifer. The group has been studying rabbinical issues related to the red heifer. In fact, they plan to release a four volume work summarizing their decades of research. Meanwhile, a red heifer breeding project using advanced genetic research is also underway in Shiloh using the two cows that were previously disqualified. The goal of both projects is to prepare a red heifer for the day when the ceremony can be performed on the Mount of Olives. The real goal of both groups is to work toward the rebuilding of a new temple in Jerusalem. Now people might say, why is it needed? Well, numbers 19 says the ashes of the red heifer are essential for ceremonial cleansing. To enter the temple without being ceremonially cleaned would defile the sanctuary. So the ashes of the red heifer are needed before the Jewish temple worship can resume.
S1: Well, the headlines were intriguing. Burned wooden beams from Jerusalem's first temple. Destruction found preserved after 2600 years. Charlie, does this mean they actually found wood beams from Solomon's temple? Or is that headline more hype than historical fact?
S2: Yeah, the headline, or at least some of them were definitely more hype than history. I blame it on the space limitations given to newspaper headline writers, but the story itself really is fascinating. Massive wooden beams charred by the fire that destroyed Jerusalem in 586 B.C., were indeed very recently unearthed. The beams were not from the temple itself, though. Those familiar with the excavations in Jerusalem. These beams were discovered in the Givati parking lot area, just to the west of the original city of David. The beams served as the roof of an inner courtyard of a building from the First Temple period, but it wasn't part of the temple. The fine, though, really is important. Combining radiocarbon dating of the wood along with the preserved tree rings will enable a very specific timeline, though the Bible itself is remarkably accurate when it comes to the date of Jerusalem's destruction. Jeremiah, 39, and second Kings 25 both report that the Babylonian army set fire to the temple of the Lord, the royal palace and all the houses of Jerusalem. In August 586 BC. So the beams are visual evidence of Babylon's destruction of Jerusalem, just as it's presented in the Bible.
S1: Interesting. Well, lots to come on today's program, including. We're going to visit with Doctor Gerald Peterman to answer your Bible questions. Charlie, you got a devotional coming later on. We'll look forward to that. But up next we're talking with Stephano, a guy who's traveled the world with a passion to demonstrate the love of Christ, and he loves to climb mountains, climb anything that's climbable, and he does it with one goal in mind to connect with people who need Jesus, specifically Jewish people. Lots of great stories coming your way. Our website, as always, is the land and the books.org. Check it out for information about today's guest, past programs, future programs and more. That's the land and the book dot ORG coming up, climbing for Christ on the land and the book. For whatever reason, God seems to delight in using. What delights you to connect with other people to share the gospel. And he can use just about anything. You're about to meet a guy who loves to climb hills, mountains, walls. As I say, if it can be climbed, he absolutely wants to give it a try. What's more, today's guest has proven that he can combine his love of climbing with his passion to reach Jewish people for Christ. Whether that's in the United States or abroad. Welcome. This is the land and the book. I'm John Geiger. Before we start today's big climb, I want you to think with me creatively about ways that every one of us can build a bridge toward a Jewish friend or neighbor. Finding Yeshua in the Old Testament. Wouldn't you want your Jewish friend to find him there? Boy, that's my heart. And we're talking with Michael Riedel, who is the editor of the Moody Handbook of Messianic Prophecy. Some wisdom from you, Michael. What would you say?
S3: Well, it's not enough to point out that the Psalms say that Jesus died for us by crucifixion. Psalm 2216, but also that he was raised. It is crucial to see that the prophets foretold, and particularly the Book of Psalms foretold the Messiah would be raised from the dead in Psalm 1610. This is not talking about David. It says, for you will not abandon me to she'll. She'll is the place of the dead. That's all it really means in the Hebrew Bible. You will not allow your faithful one. One of the most common terms for the Messiah to undergo decay. Not only will he not stay dead in Sheol, but he'll be raised Before he actually undergoes any kind of day, sees any kind of corruption, no bodily decay. And so it's saying just very rapidly, there will be a resurrection that will happen. And so right there, that was one of the key points. Peter mentions it in acts two, and Paul mentions it in acts 13. I think this is one of the crucial Psalms that was pointed out that the Messiah not only would die for us, but that he would be raised from the dead.
S1: Finding Yeshua in the Old Testament a great tool to share with your friend as well. That's Doctor Michael Redlich on the land and the book. Today's guest grew up with the knowledge of God but no true relationship with God. After his grandmother died, he was swept into a gang life of alcohol, drugs and immorality. How all that changed is quite a story, but bigger than that is the story of God's call on his life to reach Jewish people with the gospel. And with that, we want to say, welcome back to Stefano. How are you doing, sir?
S4: Doing great. Thank you very much.
S1: And you'll notice we didn't use a last name, nor are we going to. In fact, we're just going to keep things simple with Stefano because in his line of ministry, there are security concerns, identity concerns. We need to protect all that he's doing in the places that he's doing it. And so it's just. Stefano. So we're glad to have you here. I just have to ask, Stefano, when did you know that God seemed to be tugging you toward ministry in a Jewish context?
S4: Actually, it was right here at Moody when I was attending. I spoke with Doctor Redlich and I was originally here for biblical studies, and after speaking with him in hermeneutics, he informed me that if I really wanted to understand Scripture, that I needed to understand the Jewish roots of our faith. And from that, then I got involved in Jewish studies and it just kept going. The ball just kept rolling down the hill from there.
S1: Let's back up a little bit and describe your love for climbing and all that's associated with that.
S4: Well, in my 20s, when I was living, not rightly, I would just see rock and decided to climb and see what would happen. No gear, no anything. Just, hey, let's see what happens.
S1: Wow. So you knew you had a thing for climbing. A love for climbing. Uh. Take us the next step. What happened then?
S4: Then after that, I would say when I attended Moody, I got involved with, um, another friend here, and she was the one who really introduced me into like, gear exists. And I was like, oh, so learning knots, learning how to climb, how to do things properly, how to tie in, how to belay people. And she kind of helped get the ball rolling. And then when I had my internship down in Argentina, then my friend down there really took it to the next level in forms of imparting all of his knowledge to me, and he continues to impart knowledge upon me.
S1: Now, you brought into the studio a couple of your climbing tools. You're all pro gear now. You're not just without the gear. You're you're doing it right. You're doing it safe. What did you bring with us and what do these things do?
S4: So the block that I have here is actually what I use on the plane or when I can't hang board properly. It's just a device that will give you different holds for 20 mil, ten mil using pockets and monos, which are one fingers.
S1: So this is like a strength building exercise thing.
S4: Yes.
S1: It's it's a wooden block, maybe six, eight inches long, 4 or 5in wide with cutouts for you to stick your fingers in there and work out.
S4: Yes. And then the device that is attached to it actually runs off of your off of your phone. So I can actually see how much force that I'm applying. And it helps me to do workouts. So when you can't use a proper hang board, then you at least can measure by pulling and do what is called like repeaters. Were you doing seven seconds on, three seconds off and get a at least some type of a workout when I can't actually get to the cliffs or to the climbing walls here.
S1: So there's a lot of preparation. There's a lot of training, a lot of strength building that goes into this. You don't just say, one day, I think I'm going to climb this mountain and go do it. You got to have some background.
S4: You can muscle through a lot of things in the beginning, but as you progress, you definitely need to understand how the body moves and center of mass, center of gravity and things like that.
S1: Stefano is a product of the Moody Bible Institute, a mountain climber by heart, by nature, I think. And he's taken this love of climbing and taking it with him all around the world. Been to Argentina, been to the Middle East. Tell us what God has helped you do in the Middle East.
S4: Well, right now I'm attending university in the Middle East, and the ministry of the Lord has called me into is predominantly climbing. So when I'm not studying or writing my thesis right now, then I'm just living at the crag basically, and waiting for people to show up. Or I'll be training in the bouldering gyms, talking to people and just building relationships by, you know, seeing people and speaking with them and, oh, you did good. Can you modify and try something different and just trying to engage in conversation and build relationship that way.
S1: In this Middle East context, you do regularly bump into people of a Jewish background. Is that fair? And what's that conversation like.
S4: When you meet people over there? It's just like any other normal conversation that you would have of climbing lingo or, you know, did you close this, this project today? Did you send that? So it's just like any other conversation that you would have. And what I like to do in terms of relationship building and in terms of assessing and seeing where they might be at, because based on where you're at in Israel, some people can be more open to the good news and some people maybe a little bit more closed. So I like to drop these little seeds that are kind of commonplace in Israeli, like in Hebrew language. And, you know, as I'm dropping these seeds, seeing what they pick up on what they don't, and kind of taking the conversation very fluidly as it moves from there.
S1: Stefano is a mountain climber or a climber of walls or a climber of anything you've got that can be climbed. He's our guest today on the land of the book. We're keeping his last name out of things because it just isn't necessary. So how do you turn a corner? Have you turned a corner? Have you had substantive spiritual discussions with any of these people that you climb with?
S4: Yes, actually, most recently within the past year on the on the high Holy days, we do climbing picnics with me and a couple of friends, and most recently wasn't Shavuot for Pesach for Passover. We had a climbing picnic and a friend from university had come with me. I was able to share the good news with him. And then while he was there, I had four other friends who all shared the good news with him. Really on separate occasions. And then one of my friends actually took him not only to the bus stop, but took him really far away to where he was going. And she explained about, you know, messianic worship. And he had never heard and never knew that the Jewish people could sing in such a way. And he was very enthralled by this, really. And ever since, he's been asking me questions. And with about a few weeks ago, uh, he had called me and we had a great discussion about like free will and the Lord and how everything kind of works, like some really deep theological questions that he was asking as he's trying to understand what a relationship with the Lord looks like.
S1: Whether you're abroad or in the United States or in the Middle East, do you sense a a spiritual hunger on the part of Jewish people?
S4: I would say it's more along the lines of what Paul said, where they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge, I would say is the most apt description from what I've seen, especially when you're getting into more of the westernized cities, it's very, uh, very secular or people just do it because this is what I grew up doing. So that's what what I would say about that.
S1: How effective do you think your passion for mountain climbing, your time spent doing this with so many different people? How effective is that, do you think? Are you convinced that it's still a viable thing?
S4: Yes. Uh, it's very different having people in the home, in their community, in their neighborhood, to where you've always got eyes and ears on you. And then when you are able to remove people from that and take them into climbing into these crags that are some of them are pretty secluded and you're just able to be free and just have like one on one conversations with them. And you really get into some really deep nitty gritty that you can't when you're at like a cafe, like a, uh, a coffee house or things like that.
S1: So what are some of the typical objections that you've bumped into as you've tried to build bridges or even share something of your faith.
S4: The question of sin, the Shoah, the Holocaust have been two questions or two hiccups that I've run into, especially with having someone who's had children die and not understanding how a good God can allow that to happen. Those are about the two biggest objections that I regularly get.
S1: Yeah. Stefano joins us today on the land in the book. He's a guy that loves to climb, and he's sharing that love of climbing and his love of Christ with people everywhere he goes. He's got quite a passport there and lots of stamps in it. His heart is to reach Jewish people wherever they might be. How can we pray for you? Gio, in the ministry that's ahead for you.
S4: Well, I would say that the Lord would just continue to provide and make his ways clear. I have an idea to start a training facility where I'm at About that would allow me to train people in climbing and also be able to send people because Israelis like to travel. So it would be able to connect with other people from different, uh, organizations that also do something similar and kind of use it as, okay, well, if you're going to go to this place, I know someone here who will be able to love on you and be able to help you and take you climbing, or you can go here and just be able to, you know, in one facet, have people with training and just kind of give them a love for outdoor climbing because there's so much really good rock quality and a lot of good crags that are where I'm at that a lot of people just don't go to because they don't have gear or they're not really familiar. So a lot of them are just kind of stuck climbing on plastic. And it's there's so much more. And especially being able to see God's land and be able to see the different rock types in such a small country. That's about the size of new Jersey. To have so many different types of rock quality and in different kind of climates, all within such a small place is just amazing.
S1: If you'd like to learn more about Stefano, ways that you can pray for him specifically, we welcome you to email us at the land and the book@moody.edu. The land and the book@moody.edu. And then we'll point you to Stefano and he can connect with you further. Well, I have to ask, what are your top two favorite spots to climb in Israel? You've climbed all over the world, but what about Israel?
S4: Nezer cave is one of my favorites. It's actually a dream crag for me because it is some of the hardest climbing in the world that's there. Uh, you have different grading system between like five and nine, and the nines are exceedingly rare throughout the world. And one of them is in Israel, and I'll probably never be able to climb that because I'm. I'm way too old for that. But there's a lot of like sevens and eights that are just very beautiful. They're some really challenging climbing that I just would love to be able to climb there. I've done a few of the warm ups for, for, for the strong climbers that didn't feel like warm ups. And other than that, there is also Mikhmas, which is where Jonathan and his armor bearer climbed. And that also has some really, really good climbing. Not as hard as cave, but it definitely has some really strong climbs, and it holds a really sentimental place in my heart. For one of my favorite stories in scripture.
S1: Put both of these places on the map for us Nezer cave. And then we're Yonatan.
S4: Jonathan climbed and Nezer Cave is up in the Golan, so you can actually throw a rock and hit Lebanon from from the cave. Okay. And then Mikhmas is right in Judea, Samaria, just north and a little west of, uh, Jerusalem. Yeah.
S1: Well, Stefano, we just love the fact that you have taken this passion that God has given you and have used it, and are fired up about doing even more to reach Jewish people. Thank you for doing that. And our prayers are with you. We want to hear more from you too, brother.
S4: Thank you sir.
S1: Coming up on the land in the book, your friend and mine, Gerald Peterman, taking a look at the latest Bible questions that have come to us. We look forward to that. Next on the land and the book. Welcome back to the land and the book segment three. If you're a regular, you know what this is Bible questions and answers. And if you're new to the program, you know what this segment is about. Bible questions and answers. Let me say hello and introduce you to Doctor Gerald Peterman. Tell us about yourself, your tenure at Moody, your favorite Bible subjects to teach.
S5: Oh wow. The list is endless. I get to teach New Testament Greek. I get to teach Romans the Gospel of John. Biblical theology of suffering. It is so good. Uh, wonderful students, wonderful colleagues. I've been here since 2002 and wow. Uh, having a really good time.
S1: Yeah. How about your family? A little background there, too.
S5: Uh, married for 42 years. Have two daughters, two granddaughters. Um, we're probably going to have a trip to celebrate here pretty soon, so.
S1: That sounds fun. Well, before we get to questions, let's think about this for just a minute. As believers, there's a great need for us to share the gospel with the Jewish people. In fact, many of our listeners faithfully pray and partner with ministries that are doing just that. But what if you could personally take part in bringing the gospel to Jewish people? Well, our friends at Life in Messiah would love the opportunity to get believers involved in Jewish ministry, and they regularly organize outreach teams to Brooklyn, South Florida, and even to Israel outside of times of conflict. And these ministry trips will equip you to understand how to share the gospel with Jewish people, give you the opportunity to actively share your faith and provide tools and resources that you can take home with you. If you want to get hands on training, you want practical experience in Jewish evangelism, this is your ticket. Learn more by visiting Life in messiah.org and clicking on the Moody radio button. That's life in messiah.org. All right, let's get to our stack of questions today. The first one being from Theo, who get this is just seven years old. He says, hi, I'm seven years old. I live in Laurel, Nebraska. And my question is, can people in heaven see what's happening on earth?
S5: Wow, that is wonderful. I'm so glad to have young listeners courageous, wanting to have questions. So I'm a little bit unsure about the answer to this question. My opinion is we're not going to be like angels who can fly around and investigate whatever we want. But I do think that when we're in heaven, God will give us some insight into what he's continuing to accomplish. Now, why do I say that? I say that because of passages like Luke 15, verse ten, where our Lord Jesus says, the angels in heaven rejoice over one sinner who repents. And I suspect there might be times when God lets us in on the advance of the gospel, lets us see where the gospel is going so that we can rejoice with him in the heavenly court in the advance of his work. Let me give you another example. This is from revelation six. After the fifth seal was opened, John said, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God, and for the witness they had borne. They cried out with a loud voice, O sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long before you will judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth. So these martyrs have. What I take it is a godly longing to see God's justice, which means they know it hasn't happened yet.
S1: Yeah, they have an awareness that it has not occurred.
S5: So I wonder if when we're in heaven, God will give us some awareness of what has not happened and what he is doing. But what exactly that's going to be. Theo, I'm sorry. I do not know.
S1: Yeah. And on the other hand, I think people take it to an extreme. You often hear, you know, people sort of wanting to comfort themselves that that grandpa is leaning over the clouds and smiling as he sees junior fishing at his favorite spot. Maybe not, maybe not.
S5: I mean, I don't doubt that God can give that if he wants, but I don't think he's going to give us all that we long for. I think he's going to give us just enough to keep us thrilled about his work.
S1: I mean, on the other hand, you know, we could say if these are pretty much the only accounts we have. And I think that's true. There really isn't a lot there about grandpas who are able to lean over the clouds and find junior fishing.
S5: There's very little. Very little indeed. Yes.
S1: All right, let's go on to Samuel's question. He's wondering about Proverbs 29, verse 18. It says, where there is no vision, the people perish. What kind of vision do we need?
S5: That is a great question. I have heard a pastor sometimes kind of facetiously, kind of tongue in cheek, paraphrased this, and he paraphrases it like this where the church has no vision, the people leave for another parish. But in that case, vision means like a long term plan. In Proverbs 29, our term for vision, Hebrew word hazzan. It means just the Word of God. It means truth comes from God to his people or to his prophet. So we go to say Isaiah one one, and what do we find? The vision of Isaiah, the son of Amos, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem. And then what do we have? We have some starry hosts seen on the horizon. No, actually, he just points out the sins of God's people and what they should be doing in terms of repentance. In other words, the vision is the Word of God. So without a vision, that is, without God's Word, people perish. That is, we must have God's Word to live both live eternally and to live well in the now.
S1: You know, I think that's a really important point that you just made. So many of us, I think, in our immaturity, come at the Bible and say, that's nice. It's good that God gave us his special book, and I'm a good boy. I'm a good girl for reading it. No no, no no no. It is life. And apart from time in that word, obedience to that word, meditating on that word, our lives are pretty miserable.
S5: Yeah. Think of it just as an instruction manual for life. You know, instruction manual for relationships, instruction manual for where should my heart be? What should I be pursuing? I mean, if you were going to work as a plumber, I wouldn't want to. But if you're going to work as a plumber, you had better know your subject. And so with Scripture as well, if you're going to live life as a believer, you need its instruction.
S1: Yeah. Let's, let's be done with the optionality of time in the word. No, this is the land in the book from Moody Radio, our partner in crime, Doctor Gerald Peterman of the Moody Bible Institute. Faculty always welcomes your questions. You can email them to him at the land and the book@moody.edu. The land and the book@moody.edu. From Terry comes this question can you shed some light on why John the Baptist still has disciples after he pointed people to Jesus? It's reference, for example, in Mark two verse 18.
S5: Well, the short answer to this question is that many preferred John's lifestyle. They thought just his personality and his lifestyle was more was more compelling. And they thought Jesus's life and his discipleship or his lifestyle would just like inappropriate. They didn't understand or accept what Jesus was doing compared to John the Baptist. I'm thinking about a particular example from Luke seven. We find something like this. Jesus tells us about different reactions to him and to John. So Jesus says, John the Baptist came eating no bread and drinking no wine. And you say, he has a demon, and the Son of Man has come eating and drinking. And you say, look at him, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners. So yes, in John chapter one verse 36, John the Baptist points at Jesus and he says, look, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. And then what does the rest of the verse tell us? Two of John's disciples follow Jesus. Not all of them. Two of them. So some find Jesus compelling, some do not. I don't think we should be surprised. It's the same in the 21st century. You can have the truth about Jesus told to you, and you can find him compelling by the work of God's Spirit. Or you might not find him compelling by the hardness of your own heart.
S1: I want to stay with this figure. John the Baptist for just a moment. I'm intrigued. If you read this account, what you learn is that on two consecutive days, we find John the Baptist saying, Behold the Lamb of God who takes away. Right? You get the idea. This was not a one and done thing for him. This was his mission. He got it. He loved it. He lived it.
S5: Yes, yes. And it's and it's in John's Gospel, right? He says, behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. But you read Matthew, Mark, and Luke, and he is pointing to the one who comes after him. So he's always pointing away. Yeah. And then you get in, John as well. You get when many disciples go after Jesus. What does John say? That's okay. Yeah. He must increase, I must decrease.
S1: You gotta love his humility, his laser focus on his calling.
S5: He knows what his mission is for sure.
S1: One other thing that has always sort of been abrupt for me, and he's imprisoned by Herod, and there he is. And he gets his head chopped off. It's kind of like a part of me says on a human level. Wait a minute, wait a minute. Here's this guy who's been faithful to his calling. He's faithfully drawn people to Jesus. He's humble. He says, behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. And yet he still ends up getting his head chopped off. Well, clearly, my my view of what should happen to folks who are faithful is different than God's. Talk to me for just a minute.
S5: That is a tough question. That is a tough question because much of our life, we view our life as work and reward.
S1: Yes.
S5: And from a kind of a human perspective, I do this. I get that right. I work hard at my job. I get a raise. I work hard at home. I get praise from my kids or my spouse. I'm sorry. Um, this is one of the really tough things about discipleship. We don't get to decide which is which. We work and we love and we study and we persevere through trial. And sometimes God blesses us in ways we'd expect, and sometimes he rewards us in ways we do not expect. And it's hard. Wow.
S1: Hey, email your question to us at the land and the book@moody.edu and stick around for a devotional from the one and only doctor Charlie Dyer. Its next coming up on the land and the book from Moody Radio. It has to be one of the most fascinating stops in any tour to Israel. I'm talking about Beit She'an. It's the drive down the Jordan Valley that takes you to the place where something rather horrible took place. But as you explore its ruins today, wow, what a view, particularly if you do as producer Dan Anderson and I have done several times. Hike up to the top of the hill and look down. Well, all of that and more in Charlie Dyer's devotional coming up. But first, let's pause for this Holy Land experience.
S6: So one of the most impactful moments of my time in Israel was standing on top of Masada, and I was amazed at how Masada was such a provision by the Lord for people like David, who was running from his enemies. And God provided a place of security and safety in the midst of danger and fear. And I just will never forget how suddenly Psalm 18 came to mind when David talks about the Lord is my rock, my fortress, my deliverer. I can picture David envisioning Masada as how God provided for him and gave him security and safety while he was being pursued by his enemies. And Masada has continued throughout history to be a source of safety and security for the Jewish people and seeing where that history took place. When I see Masada, I see how God provided in those times.
S1: Charlie, I love Beit She'an and I know you do too. But we're not here for the mere history of it. You've got a life lesson for us, too.
S2: Oh, yeah. In fact, one of the most tragic and yet significant life lessons comes from that spot. And actually, for the next several weeks, I want you to join me as we drive down the Jordan Valley from the Sea of Galilee toward the Dead Sea. Now, for those who have never been to Israel, the Jordan River seems to be something of a mystery. The empire of ancient Egypt flourished along the Nile River. Egypt was the gift of the Nile and the civilizations of Assyria and Babylon grew up along the banks of the Tigris and Euphrates rivers, but relatively few towns can be found near the Jordan River. Well, now that we're here driving down the Jordan Valley, what doesn't make sense on a map will make perfect sense to our eyes. The first thing you'll notice are the mountains on both sides of the valley. The Jordan Valley is a geological fault line, part of the Great Rift that extends from Turkey down into Africa. The hills on both sides are relatively steep, and here, just south of the Sea of Galilee, covered in brown grass. In about two months the winter rains will begin and these brown hillsides will turn green. These hills provide excellent grazing for cattle and sheep, but they're too rugged and steep for growing crops. Now look toward your left, down into the bottom of the valley. Do you see the rugged, tan colored hills bracketing each side of the river bottom? The Jordan River meanders its way through that half mile to mile wide stretch of ground between those hills. The distance between the Sea of Galilee and the Dead Sea is just over 65 miles. But because of all the twists and turns, the actual length of the Jordan River is 135 miles more than double the distance. The Sea of Galilee is about 680ft below sea level, and the Dead Sea is over 1400ft below sea level. The heat and humidity, along with all the vegetation growing along its banks, makes the Jordan River feel more like a jungle than like those other river systems in the Middle East. In fact, God described the area as the thickets by the Jordan in Jeremiah 125, no doubt picturing the thick, tangled vegetation growing there. Most of the time, this valley was a hindrance, not a help to those living in the land. People tried to avoid the Jordan River, with the exception of three major spots where the river could be forded or crossed. And it's those three spots we want to visit on our multi-week journey. And we reached the first stopping point the ancient city of Beit She'an, 15 miles south of the Sea of Galilee for most visitors to Israel. Beit She'an is an amazing surprise. Ruins of a Roman city destroyed by an earthquake defy description. A large theater, gymnasium and bathhouse, colonnaded streets and even public restrooms give visitors a portal into what life was like in the Roman Empire. Beit She'an importance came from its location. The city straddled a major east west highway extending from the Mediterranean through the Jezreel Valley and across the Jordan River into the mountains of Gilead. This was the northernmost of the three spots where the Jordan River could be forded, and it provided a connection between the international highway that crossed through the Jezreel Valley and the King's Highway that stretched south from Damascus to the Red sea, cutting through Gilead. But as we stand here in the theater, I don't want us to focus on the Roman ruins at Beit She'an, at least not right now, or the highway that passed nearby. Instead, I want you to look at the hill just in front of us. That's the spot where the original city of Beit She'an once stood. And that hill is a sad monument to the failure of Saul. Israel's first king. To study the life of Saul is to uncover the tragedy of a king who never lived up to his potential. Saul was chosen by God, anointed by Samuel, and empowered by the Holy Spirit. He started well, but a series of personal failures led to his catastrophic downfall. Saul's problems began with incomplete obedience. He was told to wait in Gilgal seven days for Samuel to arrive and offer a sacrifice. Saul waited six days and 23 hours almost the whole time, but not quite. God ordered Saul to destroy the Amalekites, and he wiped out most of them. But not quite. All, though, seemed like minor imperfections, small flaws that most would overlook, but not if the one doing the inspecting is the God of the universe. God describes Saul's incomplete obedience as rebellion and insubordination. Saul's inability to fully obey God ultimately cost him his kingdom and his life. God was no longer with him, and Saul's forces suffered a catastrophic defeat on Mount Gilboa, just a few miles from where we're now standing. When the battle was over, the Philistines had defeated Saul's army and driven a wedge into Israel, splitting the country in two. They controlled the Jezreel Valley all the way to the Jordan River. And as for Saul, when the Philistines came the next day to strip the slain, they found Saul and his three sons fallen on Mount Gilboa, and they cut off his head and stripped off his weapons, and sent them throughout the land of the Philistines to carry the good news to the house of their idols and to the people. And they put his weapons in the temple of Ashteroth. And they fastened his body to the wall of Beit She'an. That hill right in front of you became the Philistines Trophy case. The headless body of Saul, along with the bodies of his sons, dangled from the walls in the hot sun, the stench of rotting flesh filling the air. Saul started well, but he never mastered the truth that God expects his followers to obey completely. And the consequences for disobedience are too tragic to even consider as an option. Our first stop on this journey down the Jordan is a sobering reminder that disobedience brings consequences. Saul offered excuses, but in the end, his so-called little mistakes resulted in catastrophic personal failure. So what should we take away from our time here at Beit She'an, along the Jordan River? How about this? The world might excuse failure and try to minimize consequences for mistakes, but God expects his followers to live by a higher standard. The choice in front of us every single day is faithfulness or failure, and the consequences for both are huge.
S1: Boy, those are sobering words and a great reminder that every single one of us needs. I do thank you, Charlie. Well, you know, our website is loaded up with stuff to help you connect better with this broadcast, whether it's a guest that you'd like to learn a bit more about a resource or two books that Charlie and I have written information about past programs, future programs, you'll find it all at the land and the book.org, the land and the book.org. I want to talk for a moment about our podcast, Charlie, because so many people don't live anywhere near a radio station that carries the program. And maybe you do listen via the radio. Great for you. But for those who don't talk about the podcast, Charlie.
S2: Yeah, it's a great way to share with your friends if you think they would love to listen to the land in the book, but aren't near a radio station, they can go to the land in the book.org, Click there and find the the program. They can listen to past programs, the current program. They can listen to it at any time. And that's the genius of it. It allows people who aren't near a radio station or maybe are near one, but were away from home or away from the station when the program was on to listen again, to hear the program for another time. But this is their opportunity to hear the program. That's what they can share with their friends.
S1: Okay. And you find that podcast at the land and the book dot ORG the land and the book dot ORG. One final reminder, if you've got a Bible question that's been tugging at you, it's been keeping you up at night, why not email that to us at the land and the book@moody.edu, the land and the book@moody.edu. Our time is gone, but great hanging out with you today. The land in the book is a production of Moody Radio, the Ministry of Moody Bible Institute.