S1: Hello friends, it's time for the second hour of Open Line with Doctor Michael Radonich Moody Radio's Bible Study Across America. We're talking about your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. My name is Michael Radonich. I'm academic dean and professor of Jewish studies at Moody Bible Institute, and we're live today sitting around the radio kitchen table taking your questions so you can just give me a call. Right now we have a few phone lines open. It's always good at the beginning of the hour to get those lines filled up. It's the best time. Call (877) 548-3675. That's (877) 548-3675. If you can't call, you can just go to our website open Line radio.org. Click Ask Michael a question, you'll see that there. And that's where you can post your question. I hope you have your Bibles open. I hope you've got your second cup of coffee. I have such a big cup of coffee. Mine lasts for two hours in my little special cup. And there it is, and we're ready to talk about the scriptures. We're going to talk to Kimberly to begin right, right now in Akron, Ohio, listening on Wkar's. Welcome to Open Line.
S2: Thank you. Thank you for having me. Um, the question I have, let me first tell you how I came up with it. Every Saturday morning, I have an app on my phone with this King James, and there's a quiz. And so the question was, which apostle betrayed Jesus? Um, it gives the list of them. And I saw Joseph Iscariot, which was the truth. But then it made me wonder, why is he the only apostle that has a last name?
S3: Uh.
S1: I don't think it's the last name. I think it's it's a category. Just like, uh, think about.
S4: Uh.
S1: James and John are the sons of Zebedee. Uh, so James name, actually, uh, James, the son of Zebedee. His real name was Jacob. If you read the Greek New Testament, it's Jacobus is the name. And and then it would be Yaakov in Hebrew or Aramaic Ben, and then Zebedee as the Hebrew name Zebedee. So that's what, uh, that's what it would have been. So it sounds like a last name. Uh, Iscariot. Uh, ish something. But I don't know what carryout ish is, man. So, uh, that's one of the things that you can look up and see what Iscariot is. I think it may have to do with the nickname more than a last name. Okay.
S2: I'm going to ask the question. Even when I called in, it was like a question that they thought, wow, I never thought of that either. So I figured it would be a good question to ask you.
S1: Yeah, well, you know, it is, you know, but I'm going to have to say that I'll tell you what I'm I'm good at. I'm good at answering Bible questions. I'm really terrible at Bible trivia, so. Ha ha ha. And and, uh, that's that's what, uh, what sometimes I think, uh, people think, well, how can I stump the professor? Which is. Okay. Uh, you know, I don't mind that, but that I'm. I will easily get stumped. Uh, it's actually, uh, it could, it could be. They're not sure I'm looking it up right now about Iscariot. Uh, ish is. Man, I knew that chariot. Some people, they're not sure what it means. If it's a place name or if it comes from the Latin sicarius, which is the assassins or the rebels that were involved in the first century revolt against Rome, those who were zealots. And so, uh, that maybe he comes from that, the ultra nationalist, uh, group of that leads to the zealots and the war that breaks out in 66 against Rome. So that's that's what it could be. That's what it could be. Thanks for your call, Kimberly. Really appreciate it. We're going to talk to Vivian, uh, in Selma, Alabama, listening on Wraf. Welcome to Open Line. Vivian. How can I help you? Yes.
S5: Good morning. Thank you so much, Michael, for taking my question. Sure. My question is, in Genesis one one, we we see that, um, God created the heavens and the earth. Also in Matthew 25, which is part of tomorrow's Sunday school lesson 25, verse 34, it says the kingdom was prepared since the creation of the world. But John 14 and three says, and if I go and prepare a place for you. So my question is, I know it's not a contradiction. I just want some clarity.
S6: Well, in.
S1: Genesis one one, God created the heavens and the earth, and it's really important to understand what it means. The word heaven has different kinds of meanings there. It's referring to the space, so to speak, the the sky in space. Of course you have. That's what Shamayim is. There the heavens. Uh, when we. When we like, when you look out at the stars and you see those stars, and you see the sun in the in the sky, and you see the the moon in the sky and the heavens, that's what it's referring to, sort of space. Uh, it's not talking about heaven as our place where we're going to be with the Lord. Uh, okay. That's that's Genesis in Matthew 25. Five, verse 34, uh, it says that, uh, come into the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. That's not talking about heaven, that's talking about an earthly kingdom where Messiah reigns over from Jerusalem, over Israel and the whole world. That's the messianic kingdom. Some people call it the millennium because in revelation 20 it is said to be a thousand years. So that's not heaven either. One is space two the Matthew 25. That's the earthly kingdom of the Messiah. And then, uh, John 14 three uh, this is where Jesus says I go to prepare a place for you. Um, and, uh, I if I go away, I will come back there. He's just saying. He's not saying he's creating a heaven for us or that he's creating the kingdom. What he's saying he's preparing, uh, in my father's house, there are many. I remember one Greek teacher. I had said many apartments. Uh, we like mansions, but that there's a place to live in the presence of God and the Lord Jesus goes to prepare that for us. That's what it's referring to. Uh, and so those are the three terms. They're not at all contradictory. They're they're just talking about three different things. Okay, Vivian.
S5: Thank you. Thank you for the clarity.
S1: Yeah, sure. Thanks so much for your call. Boy, I have to say, this is, uh, talking about heaven. Uh, I have a dear friend who went to be with the Lord about two weeks ago, the day after the Super Bowl, and, uh, I talked with him after the Super Bowl. He had he was quite ill. And then he had sort of a little revival on the day of the Super Bowl. He was in the hospital and his kids were with him, and they watched the football game, and he called me and said, you know, I'm going to be dying soon and will you speak at my funeral and, and such? And that was a hard conversation. But I said to him, you know, as hard as this is, I know we're going to see each other again. And then he was supposed to go home for hospice, but passed away in the morning. And every time you lose someone like that. This has been my friend for over 50 years and we don't see each other much, but talk all the time and text all the time and think of each other all the time. When that happens, you think, well, eternity is so true. We will get to be with each other forever. And and I think that sometimes when, when we die, when someone dies that we love, we, we get the sense that it's it will hurt our faith, but it doesn't. It builds my faith. It strengthens my faith. It gives me hope. We don't. I'm grieving the loss of this dear friend, but I don't grieve as those who have no hope. You know, first Thessalonians four I have a real confidence that I will see him again. Uh, and he was when I went to Moody as a student 50 years ago. He was the funniest student in school. He was just a crack up. And, uh, as I think about that, I think I'm going to spend eternity with my old pal laughing. We're going to be. There's going to be laughter in heaven, and we're going to be cutting up then as just. And you know what? Faith in Jesus, friends. Trusting in him, believing in him, that he died for us and rose again gives us confidence to face the future, That's what. That's what this reminds me of. Uh, so anyway, we're going to go to break now and, uh uh uh, when we do go to break, I want you to consider, uh, that that all you have to do is put your trust in Jesus. Uh, and then you, too, can have confidence that he died for us. He rose again, and he has gone to prepare a place for us, and we'll spend forever with him. I hope you'll make that decision to tell him. If you've never done that, that you trust in Jesus. We're going to come back in just a moment. Uh, we're going to take more of your calls right here on Open Line with Michael Zelnick. And we're back. So glad to be with you on this Saturday morning as we study the scriptures together on our Bible study across America. I do want to remind you about our current resource, because I think it's such a helpful book, and it was written by a friend of mine, Doctor Paul Benware, and it gives you a roadmap for the New Testament. It is a survey of the New Testament by Paul Benware, and Doctor Benware has been teaching the Bible for beyond years, I can imagine, and just has had a wonderful ministry, but not just for people at large. Really has helped me a lot with my understanding of Scripture and how to put it all together. And this book, survey of the New Testament gives you a roadmap of of Matthew through revelation, how each book is put together and how they all fit together. It is such a great resource. I don't want you to miss out on it. And it's our way of saying thank you to you. When you send a gift of any size, we'd love to get you a copy of survey of the New Testament by Doctor Paul Benware. If you would like to give a gift and get a copy of this book, all you have to do is call (888) 644-7122. That's (888) 644-7122 or go to open Line radio.org. And remember with your gift, be sure to ask for a survey of the New Testament by Doctor Paul Benware. You're going to love this book. And we're going to talk to Jack Johnston in Alaska, listening on 97.7 FM, Moody Radio. I got to say, Jack, I'm glad you're calling. Every time I get a call from Alaska, I think I want to go to Alaska. Never been so. I'm jealous of you, Jack. Living there in Alaska. How can I help you?
S7: Yes, sir. Yeah, well, come on up. Yeah. We'd love to have you. Yes, sir. Well, my Uh, question kind of is, um, do you think that, uh, cause for the anti-Semitism, I mean, throughout history even has been because God, the only true living God gave his word, the law of Moses. And, you know, all of the Old and New Testament to Jewish people. I mean, they were the ones that God spoke to as opposed to all the other nations that were worshiping idols, you know, created in their own image. And, um, anyhow, I was just, uh, my question was, do you think that the hatred of Jewish folks and believers in the Lord Jesus also, that, um, is caused because we worship the true living God and they can't touch him, but they can certainly kill us. And you know what I'm saying?
S1: Yeah, I think that there's maybe there's a hint of that. I don't want to say no, I don't, you know, because I don't know what drives anti-Semitism. But I think that there are two theological reasons for anti-Semitism. The first is mentioned in Psalm 83. I talked about it first, our that that, uh, because the world hates God, they hate his people, that they that hatred of the God of Israel fuels hatred of the people of Israel. And I think that's really there. And I guess what I would say is Satan hates whom God loves. And and that's right there. And, and that's why it's like that. Uh, and the way of hurting people, I think whether knowingly or not, the enemy wants to hurt God in the way he hurts God is by hurting those whom God loves. And and that that's a, I think, a a special reason, a second reason I believe theologically not based on Psalm 83, but based on revelation 12, is that Satan wants to obstruct the plan of God. So think about it. If if Haman had been successful, then the Messiah could have never been born because he was promised to come from the people of Israel. Uh, and when we look at the future, Matthew 2337 through 39, where it says that the key to the Second Coming after the tribulation, the key is when Israel will welcome Jesus as the Messiah. He says, though he would have gathered them as as a mother hen gathers her chicks, they were unwilling that. But you will not see me again until you say, blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. That's the Hebrew phrase for greeting. Uh, it's written in Greek there, but it's based on the Hebrew phrase for welcome. Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. You can see it in Psalm 118. It's still used today in modern Hebrew as the welcome. So for that reason, in my opinion, it is saying there what the Lord Jesus is saying is when Israel welcomes him back, that's when he will return. And so if Satan could destroy the Jewish people, he will obstruct the return of the Lord Jesus. And so I actually believe it is hatred for whom God loves, and obstruction of the plan that God has made that drives anti-Semitism. Okay, Jack?
S7: Yes, sir. Yeah, that's that's neat because like you're saying, I mean, it just it's.
S1: Illogical, isn't it? It doesn't make any sense.
S7: No, it doesn't, it doesn't. But you know, all throughout history, people, you know, uh, they, they hate the Jews and believers in Jesus. Yeah. You know, because of his word, I mean, everybody I.
S1: Mean, we have if you go back in church history, Jack, you're going to see that the believers in the Lord Jesus Also hated the Jewish people. Uh, yeah. The Inquisition. And if you look at the the Crusades, it's just unbelievable. When you look at the history of hatred of the Jewish people. And, uh, I think that that the most interesting thing to me is that that doesn't change God's heart. He's going to preserve and protect his people. And, and that's, that's the the truth of it. And, uh, hopefully the the pressure will cause Jewish people to consider the Messiah of Israel, the Lord Jesus. So anyway, thank you for your call, Jack, I appreciate it. We're going to go to the next caller. It's Devin, uh, or Devin, I guess I would say Devin, uh, in Chattanooga, Tennessee, listening on Moody Radio there. Welcome to Open Line. Devin.
S8: Hi, Michael. Uh, it's actually Devin. You got it right the first time. Okay. Um, but so my question is really pertaining to like within my family. And um, Hebrews 1214 says to make every effort to live at peace with everyone. And, and then in Matthew 1034 and 35, it talks about setting a man at variance against his father and bringing a sword and all this. So can you please give me some wisdom on how to pursue peace with people that I feel like aren't aren't really don't have the same heart for that.
S1: You know, that sounds to me like there's a whole lot more going on. Uh, then then, you know, I can really answer, but I'll I'll just start with this, that we should do our best to be at peace with our family. That mark is a mark 1030. Matthew 1037. Right. Isn't that what you're talking about? The verse. Did I get that right, Jack?
S8: 1030. Well, 1034 and 35.
S9: Yeah. That's it.
S1: Uh, that's not saying that everyone's going to be at odds with their parents or their brothers or sisters. Uh, but, uh, but nevertheless, when it's really saying that there there's a grave possibility that when a person becomes a follower of Jesus, it may lead to a separation between parents and children and siblings and so forth, and children and parents, and you just don't know. But Romans 1218 says, as much as is possible, be at peace with all men. So even though there may be a division in the family, what we have to do is see where we can go, what we can do, how we can do it, to try to find peace, even without compromising our faith. Uh, I just know. I'll just tell you in my own life, my own family. When I became a follower of Jesus, my dad utterly disowned me. He moved away. Wouldn't talk to me just because I believed in Jesus and the reason for him. You know, he had lost his first wife, his five children in the Holocaust, and he saw all followers of Jesus as, uh, being equated with Nazis. And so to him, I had become a Nazi. Uh, even. Obviously, that's not true. And so what I did is I just spent the rest of his living days trying to send out appeals, trying to let him know that I wanted to have a relationship with him. I wanted to see him. I wasn't going to compromise my faith, but, uh, I was I if you don't want me to ever talk about it, I won't ever talk about it. Uh, I'll leave that to God to to let you know about it. But I wanted to have a relationship with him. Had about 2 or 3 times where we could actually talk. Uh, but nothing really came of it over those years. Uh, you know, over 25 years of of trying to reach out to him. I did my best as much as possible. I wanted to be at peace with him. Uh, without giving up my faith, that's what I would say. What kind of sacrifices? Sacrifices we can make to try and let those whom we love know that we want to be at peace with them, even if they don't want to be at peace with us. That's what I would encourage you to do. Jack. Okay.
S8: Okay. Thank you. Thank you. Michael. Yeah.
S1: Uh, and I'm sorry I said Jack. It was Devin or Devin or something like that. Okay, we're going to talk to, uh, Daniel, uh, in Minnesota on Faith radio. Welcome to Open Line. Daniel. How can I help you?
S10: Thank you, thank you. And peace and glory be upon you as well. And for all who have an ear to listen. I am really curious of John 1613 and when Jesus references the helper and he calls him he a couple of times. So I wanted to get more information on how we can look for the helper in our everyday life. Of course, the Holy Spirit. But then also, if there is someone that Jesus is sending to that will testify in his name that he sent.
S1: Well, John 16, where it says that he will guide you into all truth, I think that he's that's not a general statement. If I'm right, the guidance of the Holy Spirit that's being spoken there is in the upper room discourse to the disciples and uh, uh, and uh, so I think what he is saying is, uh, that he will declare to you what is to come and he will glorify me and so forth, but he will guide you into all truth. I think he's talking to the apostles, and that's what empowered them to write the New Testament. In terms of the Holy Spirit, we fully have the Holy Spirit. Romans eight says that. And Paul is writing, obviously after Pentecost, that every believer fully has the Holy Spirit. It says in Romans eight nine, if, if, if we don't have the spirit, we don't belong to him. Conversely, if we do belong to him, we fully have the Holy Spirit. And that's enough power, the power that raised the Lord Jesus from the dead. So we're we have spiritual power. And so what the Bible is teaching also, Paul, Ephesians 518 we need to be filled or controlled by the spirit. I believe that's by allowing the Word of God to take forcible occupation of our lives. That's how the Holy Spirit controls us. We need to be. We need to walk in the spirit that that the the mind set on things of the spirit is spiritual. The mind set on things of the flesh is is fleshly. That's what Romans eight says. And so what we're doing is we're looking to live according to the leading and guidance of the Holy Spirit by thinking on putting our mind, our thoughts, our, our, our ideas before the Word of God and under the control of the Holy Spirit, setting our minds on things above. Uh, that's that's how we are led by the spirit today. So, uh, you know, I don't think we should always, you know, this is what I think. Sometimes we're looking for signs and wonders and and powerful exploits what the Holy Spirit is doing in our lives now. Uh, you know, an evil and adulterous generation looks after a sign, seeks for a sign. But what we're looking for is spiritual transformation. That the Holy Spirit will draw us closer and closer in our walk with him as we devote ourselves to the things of the spirit, the things above. By the power of His Spirit, he's transforming our lives on a daily basis so we can walk closer and closer with him. Uh, doesn't mean he's going to reveal all things to come to us, because that was what he was saying to the apostles in the upper room. But he is promising us that we can, by the power of the spirit. What's what's he say? Put to death the deeds of the flesh by the power of the Holy Spirit. And so that's that's that's what he's looking for, uh, to accomplish in our lives. Uh, Daniel, is is that helpful at all?
S10: That that is absolutely helpful in a profound way. And I pray that a lot. Who all hears this does take away a lot of things. But among those that really stuck out to me was that the same power, that and same spirit that Jesus gave to us all when he left, is that same spirit that resurrected people from the dead resurrected him? From the dead? Resurrected Lazarus from the dead?
S9: Yeah.
S10: Those that every single day in the.
S1: Power that raised Jesus from the dead lives in us. Amazing. When we think about the power. Everyone's looking for more power. Well, we don't have to look for more power. We just have to be transformed by the power that's in us already. We're going to come right back with the the Febc mailbag, so stick with us. This is open line with Michael Zelnick. Welcome back to Open Line. So glad to be with you this morning. And I'm truly grateful for all of you who give gifts occasionally. You know that you you hear a resource and you think, uh, yeah, I think I'd like that. And you give a gift to Open Line and so appreciated. And you may have never given a gift and I, I we have this great resource now survey of the New Testament by Paul Benware. And if you've never given a gift and you think, yeah, that's a good one, boy, I sure would appreciate it if you'd send that gift to us to Open line to Moody Radio. Not to me, obviously, but I so appreciate that. But also and we want to say thanks by sending you the book, but there are many people who every other month send a gift in because they want to get the resource, and that's still possible. But I want to encourage you and ask you, and have you consider maybe becoming a kitchen table partner, uh, joining us so that we can budget better and plan better by committing to giving every month so I can be on the air every week. And if that's something that you've never considered doing. But I was hoping you might consider it now, uh, because, uh, being part of the team is so essential for what we're doing here. If you'd consider that, I'd appreciate it if you do what we do. As I say all the time, we do a Bible study moment every other week, a special audio Bible study designed just for our kitchen table partners. I hope you'll consider becoming one. And if you would like to become a kitchen table partner, all you have to do is call (888) 644-7122. Also the same number you call if you just want to give a gift. Uh (888) 644-7122 or go to open line radio.org. And it is so appreciated. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Well joining me right now is to hear Haynes. And she is our producer today. And she's the one asking the questions. So glad you're with us. This is the FBC mailbag. Now, had you ever heard of FBC before you came to Moody Radio?
S11: I heard about it first on Moody Radio.
S4: Yeah. Well, Ed.
S1: Cannon, wonderful president of this terrific organization that uses media to reach people all across the globe. A lot of Moody Radio broadcasting on it as well. People there sending out bold steps all over the world with with Mark Jobe, wonderful ministry. And, uh, I hope you'll check out FBC. Org and and catch their podcast until all have heard. Well what what do we have on the FBC mailbag today?
S11: We have some great questions. And our first question is from Nicole and she wrote to us via Facebook. Is there a concise timeline of the history of Israel through modern times that would demonstrate to doubters why the Land of Israel belongs to the Jewish people and has for thousands of years so many things that the people who now live in Gaza have ancient roots in Israel, or as it's sometimes called, Palestine.
S6: Yeah.
S1: Well, let's see, I'm going to say, first of all, there's a book called understanding the Arab-Israeli conflict. Uh, it's a little dated because this changes so much. So it doesn't have the news from the last 15 years or so, but it does give that timeline, uh, it's published by Moody. And modesty forbids me for mentioning the name of the author who's going to be revising it, uh, in the next few months. So that captures everything up to date. Uh, but that. I'm just joking. It's a book I wrote a number of years ago. It's still in print. We're updating it now. Uh, but that does give you the timeline you're looking for. Uh, secondly, uh, the idea that the people in Gaza and the West Bank and even in Israel, that they were there from ancient times, that they are the, the, the Philistines continue. That's just not true. Uh, a couple of things. One, the Arabic language came to that land with the Arabic conquest in the seventh.
S6: Century A.D..
S1: And so that's where they came from. They conquered that area. Uh, then also, the land was so destroyed by the policies of the Ottoman government when it led it from 1517 till 1916. That's the Ottoman. The Turkish government was the, uh, Empire, the empire that controlled that was over the land of Israel. What they did is they one of the things, the stupid things that they did is they taxed you if you had trees.
S6: Wow.
S1: So people, what do they do? They don't want to pay taxes. So they cut their trees down and it denuded the land of trees. And it took away the topsoil, and it made the place in the north. It just became swamps. And in the south it was just desert. And as a result, in 1882, with the birth of the modern return of Jewish people to the land after they had been scattered away, there's always some Jewish people there, but, uh, the majority of Jewish people weren't there. The land had only had about 225,000 people. This is the land that sustains a like 13 or 14 million people right now. Uh, there are only 225,000 people. And the Jewish people began to return. They drained the swamps, they irrigated the South. They planted trees. They did all this, which caused the the rebirth of the land and brought work. And so people from the entire Mediterranean basin began to come. Even as Jews were returning, people were returning as well. And that's where people who claim to be Palestinian today, those that's when they came. So it's really two immigrant peoples. It's not like like you hear they were there from time immemorial, and then the Jews came and drove them out. That's just not what it was. You have the Jews returning, and then people from the Mediterranean basin, Circassians and people from Cyprus, Crete, people from all the surrounding Arab states began to go there for work. And as a result, they have two immigrant populations. You can even see this in a simple book by Mark Twain. He wrote Innocents Abroad, and he talked about when he went to to Palestine, as it was called, the name the Romans gave it in the second century AD to try and take the Jewishness out of the land. So, uh, what what he says is he goes, you go days, you don't see anybody, you travel for days, uh, and you don't see anyone. It's a really interesting description of the land of Israel that said, uh, I think that That. It's just the stories are filled with propaganda. You need to get a better history of how the land came to be.
S11: Well, thank you for that and thank you for those good resources as well. Our next question is from Ladina on Facebook. I've been thinking about how people have been and will always be saved by grace through faith in the revealed will of God. What are grace and faith? How do we know the revealed will of God today?
S4: Well.
S1: Grace means God's undeserved kindness. Faith refers to our trust. Uh. And uh, so we are saved by God's grace through faith in. And today is the gospel that the Lord Jesus died for us and rose again. Uh, in the Old Testament, it was always by God's grace through faith in what God had revealed. Offer these sacrifices. Look for the Messiah. Uh, that's the Old Testament. But the revealed will of God was found in the in the Word of God. In the same way, the revealed will of God today is found in the Word of God, trusting in the Lord Jesus, the Messiah, who has come. And so, uh, it's it's not that hard. We're saved by God's undeserved kindness for us when we trust in the good news that Jesus died for our sins and rose again, that's the revealed will of God found in the Word of God.
S11: Okay, wonderful.
S6: Thank you. Okay.
S1: Uh, thanks so much for sending those questions in. All you have to do is go to the website openline radio.org, click on Ask Michael a question and to Hera and Tricia will make sure your question get into the mailbag. That was Tyra Haynes I'm Michael Melnick. We'll be right back with more of your questions right here on Openline.
UU: And we're back.
S1: So glad to be with you. I've had a wonderful morning talking with you in our Bible study across America. My name is Michael Melnick, and, you know, since the war broke out with Israel and Hamas when Hamas attacked Israel on October 7th, 2023, and now 16 months, you know, people have not been going to Israel. They would so love to go, but can't. There aren't many tours. There are some tours going back now, but not much. So one of our ministry partners, Chosen People Ministries, is offering a coffee table book called Israel, the land and the people, so you can go to Israel by looking at these pictures. It is some of the best photos you'll see of Israel anywhere. It shows the beauty, the history, the culture, the variety of the Land of Israel, from snow top Mount Hermon in the north to the fortress of Masada in the south, from ancient the ancient streets of Jerusalem to bustling modern Tel Aviv. It's got biblical verses, prayer prompts. Uh, it's just a great book. And if you'd like a free copy of Israel, the Land and the people, just go to Openline. Uh, our web site, Openline. radio.org Openline radio.org. Scroll down. You'll see a link that says A free gift from Chosen People Ministries. Click on that. You'll be taken to a page where you can sign up for your own copy of Israel, The land and the people. Also, when you're on the website Openline radio.org, you can scroll down to the end. There's a link to my personal web page. People have been asking me about a trip. We're going to be doing a cruise next December in the Caribbean and studying the scriptures together. It's a unique cruise on a tall ship. If you're interested in that, go to michael-ray. Org or you can just go to our website and scroll down and click on my personal web page, and you can find out about that. We're going to go to the phones right now and speak with Patti in Florida listening on keys. Welcome to Open Line, Patti. How can I help you?
S12: Well, good morning, Doctor Michael. So if I could preface this question with the fact that this question does come from our Sunday school class, we're studying your 50 most important Bible questions. Okay, so so we had finished the chapter about Judas and his suicide. But what came up was the fact that we were wondering if there's anything in the Bible that says that we haven't found that Judas was not truly a believing apostle.
S6: Since he.
S12: Didn't commit suicide. Is there any.
S6: Indication?
S1: I don't think you know, people think that suicide is the sin that would cause someone to lose their salvation. I don't think any sin. If we're genuinely saved, we can't lose our salvation. Uh, but just remember, uh, that Judas was a sham all along. You know, when the Lord Jesus. When when the woman washed his feet with with the with perfume and with her tears. Remember that? He was like, oh, this money, this could have been sold and we could have, uh, made so much money, uh, off of it. So he wasn't genuine all along. He was there probably because he wanted the Lord Jesus to overthrow the Romans. And he thought this may be the way to do it. Uh, and the other phrase that the Gospel of John uses of, of, of Judas is that he's the son of perdition. What is perdition mean? It means damnation. It means the the one who is destined for eternal punishment. And so I don't think he was ever a believer. He. I don't think it's possible to lose your salvation. I don't think he ever had it. And that was his destiny. So does that help at all?
S12: Yeah, that's kind of what we were thinking, that just based on what his actions were during that time, he probably wasn't a true apostle. Which led the other question, why would Jesus call him except to do that act?
S1: Well, he called him I. You know, the Lord knew who was a believer, and he also knew who would betray him. You know, part of this whole thing was, why would the Lord do something when he knows what? That's that whole thing where I don't think we should even engage in the what if and the why for and all that. Uh, because we can't. The whole issue of God's sovereignty and human responsibility and how that those two things work together. I just don't think we can even comprehend it. It's too mysterious for us. But, you know, people often say that Judas repented when he threw the 30 shekels back at the leadership who had paid him. That was not repentance, that was remorse, and it was not a changed life or he would not have committed suicide. So. Okay, Patti.
S12: Take that back tomorrow.
S1: Okay, good. You have a good class tomorrow. Thanks for calling. Uh, we're going to talk to Eric in Wisconsin, listening on 90.1 FM, Moody Radio Chicago Wmbi. How can I help you today, Eric?
S13: Good morning, doctor. Peace be with you. I have a question regarding Romans 829 to 30 regarding predestination. It's a pretty, I guess you would say, confusing verse to a lot of believers and non-believers from the point that when some people read this, they come up with the conclusion, no matter how I live my life, the Lord predestined me to be saved. But then I look at verse 29, that first word it says for whom he did foreknow. Could you expand on those two verses for me to help me get a better understanding of that circle?
S6: Sure.
S1: Well, here, let me just say one thing. There's all these verses that indicate God's sovereign work in salvation. Then there are other verses that call on people to believe human responsibility. And sometimes you even find them right up against each other. Human responsibility, uh, and God's sovereignty. Uh, and and the Bible makes no effort to reconcile those things. When Spurgeon was asked how he reconciles them, he says, I never reconcile friends. So, uh, they're both true. They're mysterious. I think that is as far as the heavens are above, the earth, so high are so much higher are my thoughts than your thoughts and my ways above your ways. That's Isaiah 55. The mind of God is far greater and can comprehend these things better than my mind or your mind. Eric. So let's just remember that, uh, let's go through it. He foreknew to Foreknow means to know beforehand, and the biblical sense of the word to know is to enter into a relationship. Just you can even see it in the Bible. You know, God, the man knew his wife, that that's a relational term. And so God foreknew. He knew not just didn't know. It's not just does not just mean that he knew in advance who would believe. It means that he knew us. We entered into relationship with him. Before time he foreknew us. He predestined us. Uh. He determined in advance that we would be conformed to the image of his son. Uh, and he also called us to believe there's two calls, there's the general call and the scripture that everyone should believe. And then there's the call, effectual call to believe in Jesus and we will. And those he called, he justified. He declared us righteous and those he justified. It says he glorified. And it uses the aorist tense of completed action. But that's yet to happen in the future. It's called a proleptic error, something so certain that it's spoken of as a completed action, even though it hasn't happened yet because it's so certain. So that's what it says. And all those things are true. And nevertheless, he calls us to faith. If you read Romans ten, uh, it says, how shall they believe, uh, unless unless they have a preacher. Right. Uh, it says, how can they call on him? They have not believed in. And how can they believe without hearing about him? And how can they hear without a preacher? And so what is seeming to say is people have a responsibility to believe and they need to hear the message. How can both those things be true? That God will call predestined those people who are called? And at the same time we have to preach the good news. Do you know what? They're both true. And we have to just live with that.
S13: And it also sounds like there's some actions that the person or the believer has to take. You just can't sit on your morals and think everything is hunky dory.
S6: Yeah.
S1: The person's got to respond to the faith, to the call, to faith. I love the scene in The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis where Jill Catchpole, I think that was her name. Jill comes back, comes to Narnia, and she's speaking to Aslan, the lion, and she said, we called out to you and that's why we're here. And he said, you would not have called had I not called you here. And I think that there's a lot of truth to that right there. So. Yeah. So, uh, you know, I, I don't want to appear simplistic. I know that there are people like my friend Michael Vanlandingham, who are smart enough to understand how sovereignty and free will work. I'm just not bright enough. So I live with the mystery that both are true. I totally believe, though I would not have believed had not he called me first. So. But I do believe I have a responsibility to everyone and call on people to believe and trust God with it. Okay Eric, that I think I lost you Eric, but thank you for your call. I really appreciate it. Well, friends, what a day it's been. I want you to keep praying for the people of Israel. This is a very tough day. A very tough time for them. Uh, some captives have been released. Others have been returned in gruesome fashion in boxes. And so we need to keep praying for the peace of Jerusalem right now. Paying for the peace in the hearts of the people of Israel. I want to remind you of that. If you want to hear more about that, you can go back and listen to the opening word from today. But that's it for today. Thanks so much for listening. We're so grateful for all of you who listen. And thanks for you. Those of you who called or wrote with your questions, you make the program possible. And also thanks to the Open Line team, Merle and Tara and Lisa, we're so grateful for all that you do. And remember, keep in touch with us by going to our website, Open Line radio.org. It's got all the links you're looking for, uh, how to become a kitchen table partner, how to get our current resource, how to see my personal website with all that's there. Keep reading the Bible. We'll talk about it next week. Open line with Doctor Michael Ray Dolnick is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute. Have a great weekend.