S1: Hi friend, thank you so much for downloading this podcast and I truly hope you hear something that edifies encourage, equips, enlightens, and then gets you out there in the marketplace of ideas. But before you go, I want to tell you about this month's truth tool. It's called Have You Ever Wondered? And I absolutely love this topic because if you're like me, going out into the night sky and looking up and seeing a million stars, don't you just stop and think about God? And are you not in a moment of awe and wonder or looking out over the vast expanse of an ocean and you start thinking, what is man, that thou art mindful of him? And it makes you wonder about the magnificence of God? I think that sense of wonder was put there on purpose, and this wonderful book includes a composite of multiple authors who have written from their perspective as a scientist, or a historian, or a mathematician or an artist, on why they all have this sense of awe through the work that they do. In other words, the heavens declare the glory. And as it tells us in Romans, we are really without excuse because his handiwork is everywhere. And this book invites you to walk through the chapters written by people who all have a sense of awe and wonder when it comes to God through their various disciplines in life. It's an amazing book and it's yours. For a gift of any amount, just call 877 Janet 58. That's 877 Janet 58. Ask for a copy of Have You Ever Wondered? And we'll send it right off to you as my way of saying thank you, because we are listener supported radio. Or you can go online to in the market with Janet Parshall. When you're also on the website, consider becoming a partial partner. Those are people who give every single month at a level of their own choosing. You always get the truth tool, but in addition to that, you get a weekly newsletter that includes my writing and an audio piece just for my partial partners. So 877 Janet 58 or the website in the market with Janet parshall.org consider becoming a partial partner or asking for this month's truth tool. Have you ever wondered? And now please enjoy the broadcast.
S2: Welcome to In the Market with Janet Parshall. Today's program is where Janet and her husband, Craig, take some of the stories making headlines this week and offer their insight and analysis. Before they get started, let's take a quick look back at some of the highlights from the week.
S3: One of the things that we noted was that this all girls school, this all female institution of higher education, not only admits biological men who identify as women, but it also opens all of the bathrooms, locker rooms and housing accommodations to biological men as well. Which really brings us back to square one. If title nine was designed to protect biological girls and give them equal educational opportunity, what is a women's college doing admitting biological men?
S4: My whole nuclear family, praise the Lord came to Christ And, uh, and we had an made if you ever saw the movie The Help you. That's how it was with my family and so many Jewish families in Portsmouth that we knew. And her name was Callie Goodman, and she prayed for me for 22 years. I found this out after I came to Christ, I didn't know.
S5: Oh, wow.
S4: And she prayed for my whole nuclear family, uh, and prayed my whole nuclear family into the kingdom of God.
S6: Humans are part of this giant ecosystem that God's created because of all those things. I have an even, I believe, deeper appreciation for the ways God's character is displayed through everything that he's made. So I don't just see God's beauty and glory, but I see all different kinds of attributes, even through the lowliest little fish up to the biggest whale. There's so much to be learned about God's character from his creation, and I'm really blessed to have a front row seat to that.
S7: We can listen to the voice of the one who gave us eternal life through His Son, Jesus. And when we give heed to that voice, and we surrender our thoughts and our minds and our bodies and our ways and desires and everything to him, it changes everything. It changes everything. It can change the entire course of your life because it affects everything around you, your relationships, your I mean, it affects everything. So I'm so grateful for Jesus. And I know that's an understatement and it's just a given. But if it wasn't for him, I would not be here today. I'm telling you, I would not be here without him.
S2: To hear the full interviews from any of those guests, go to In the Market with Janet Parshall and click on Past programs. Here are some other stories making headlines this week.
S8: As a cease fire sets in following more than a week of devastating airstrikes and rocket fire, Iran is cleaning up and cracking down. Officials and activists said Tehran has intensified mass arrests, executions and military deployments.
S9: In France, smoking will be banned on beaches, in parks, outside schools and in other public locations starting July. The government said.
S10: Chinese automakers have pushed to unlock Africa's underdeveloped potential with a focus on electric and hybrid vehicles.
S11: The custodians of trillions of dollars of global central bank reserves are eyeing a move away from the greenback, with gold, the euro and China's yuan all in favor.
S2: Janet and Craig have lots to share, and they'll put the first story on the table when we return. To get more information or to download the podcast of any of the interviews, go to In the Market with Janet Parshall.
S1: Have you ever wondered why music moves us so deeply, or why beauty takes our breath away? My Truth Tool this month is a thought provoking book that explores those moments of wonder we all encounter. It's called Have You ever Wondered? Consider how ordinary aspects of life point to the extraordinary biblical truths. Ask for your copy of. Have you ever wondered when you give a gift of any amount to in the market, call eight 7758. That's eight 7758 or go to in the market with Janet Parshall. Happy Friday to you friends. So glad we're going to spend the hour together. Of course, Mr. Parshall is with me because he does that on Fridays. We put on our glasses the lens of Scripture. We take a look at the stories being talked about in the marketplace of ideas, and then we do some insight and analysis. It's never boring because there's no shortage of things to talk about. And I'm so glad that you and I are going to learn how to be good Bereans, test all things, learn to think critically and biblically. Note to file. Not a multiple choice test. It is a both and and implying what the word has to say to the world around us. It helps us grow up, right? Isn't that what the directive is in Scripture? Get off that diet of milk, Paul tells us. And get to a diet of meat, the meat of the Word of God, so he can get some spiritual heft on our bones. And boy, I have to do is spend five minutes outside your little tent and you realize that the winds are howling. All of creation is groaning and strong, brave, courageous Christians are needed now more than ever before. So having said all of that, roll up your sleeves. Keep your hands inside the car at all times, keep your seatbelt on and we're going to go round robin. In case you didn't know, today was a busy day at the United States Supreme Court. In fact, how many times do I always say this is the fireworks before the fireworks? Right? So this is the Friday before next Friday, which is the 4th of July. But if you're a court watcher, you know that their term ends on Monday because Tuesday is the 1st of July. That meant that all of the hot, controversial cases were going to get handed down, probably in mass toward the end of the term. And boy, oh boy, between yesterday and today, that's exactly what they did. And there are some winners in there, and I mean winners for us culturally, and I'm glad we're going to spend some time talking about it. So let me go to one, because I am. I am through the roof. I am so happy about this case. And Craig and I are going to tell you why in just a little bit, but I want you to hear this piece. It was actually done on one of the alphabet soup networks, and it was done in April when the High Court was hearing oral arguments in a case called Mahmoud versus Taylor. It does a great job of explaining the background. Have a listen.
S12: This is a case that began in a few Maryland classrooms, but the ultimate decision could affect public schools all across this country.
S13: We will prevail.
S12: In a fight over parental and religious rights. The nine Supreme Court justices waded into the classroom at issue whether Montgomery County, Maryland, should reinstate an opt out policy for parents who don't want their children, some as young as kindergarten. Learning from books containing LGBTQ and other controversial themes.
S14: There wasn't coercion here that it was mere exposure. I understood from the record that all that was required is that the books be put on the bookshelf.
S15: It has a clear moral message and it may be a good message. It's just a message that a lot of religious people disagree with.
S12: One of the picture books mentioned the story of a prince and a male knight who defeat a monster and fall in love. Grace Morrison and other parents are suing, arguing the opt out policy was removed in 2023 without notice.
S16: This is basically restoring the rights that parents have had in Montgomery County.
S12: They want the opt out policy back in. The opposing side also at the court today.
S17: We know that a number of our kids are LGBTQ plus. And the reality that we're talking about today is people want to erase us from books. They want to erase us from existing.
S12: Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson, suggesting the court's final decision could affect more than the curriculum.
S18: What about a trans student in the classroom? There's a student who's in the class, must the teacher notify the parents of the student's existence and give them an opt out to not be in the same classroom with this child?
S19: No, we've never said that there's an independent right to be noted for schools to anticipate what parents might object to, but when parents know something, there could be a sincere religious burden.
S12: Ultimately, the majority of the court seemed to favor the arguments by the parents. A decision is expected in this big case by the end of June.
S1: And guess what? It's the end of June. And guess what? The decision came down today. And guess what? It is a 6 to 3 victory. I'm going to turn to another alphabet soup outlet. They'll give you their take on what the court did today. And then this fellow sitting next to me, who knows the law inside out and upside down, is going to offer a lot of insight. So here's a CBS news report on today's victory for parents rights.
S20: The bottom line is that the parents lodged a First Amendment claim, saying that it violated their free Exercise Clause rights to not have notice and an opt out provision when their children were read. LGBTQ inclusive educational materials at school. Justice Alito wrote the opinion. It looks like it is exactly as we talked about a few moments ago. Vlad a win for the parents. I saw very briefly the majority saying that parents have genuinely held beliefs and that it substantially infringes on those beliefs, not to provide them with notice and an opt out when certain materials are read to their parents. I think this is part of a larger theme of this court being very protective of the rights of religious objectors and protective of free Exercise Clause rights. Um, Vlad, as we talked about before, I think the fascinating part of this will be looking to see exactly how the court creates the standard for determining when parents are entitled to notice and an opt out. I think my guess again, looking extremely fast, which is that the court is going to stay fairly close to these particular facts and, uh, try and highlight that this is not open season for parents to start saying we don't want our children to hear X and to hear Y, and to hear Z, because you do want to provide school boards with some ability to dictate their curriculum. Um, so again, this case, as we talked about before the break, I think predicted a win for the parents, a win for those claiming that their free Exercise clause rights are infringed upon. And again, the real question here will be how the opinion is drafted in order to make sure that school boards can still dictate large portions of their own curriculum.
S1: Well, it was drafted beautifully. And by the way, I'm glad I pointed out CBS. I'm glad I underscored Alphabet Soup. Now that's a bias. And that little slanted word there. Objective there. Rather subjective viewpoint on the case comes through loud and clear. Now I'm glad I'm going to turn to this fellow here. So let me just tell you five seconds by way of background. Again, this was a fascinating case in terms of being a very eclectic group of parents. There were Orthodox Christians, there were Muslim parents, there were parents of various different worldviews. But what pulled them all together was the fact that they said, absolutely not. We don't want our child exposed to this. We want the right to opt out. And for a while, Montgomery County Schools let them opt out and then abracadabra, without giving any reason, they pulled off and said, you can't opt out. Well, that's when you know they're moving from educator to propagator, okay, now they're going to be propagandizing the kids. And the parents said, no, we want to be able to say if it's violative of our sincerely held beliefs, we have the right to opt our child out. What's so cool, Craig, is when the decision came down and it was six three, let's call him out, okay? It's the three liberal female justice again Kagan, Sotomayor, Jackson. All of them were the three that in the final decision. The brief even includes pictures from the books that were used in this classroom. Why is that so cool? Because do you understand, friends, that in Board of Education meetings all across the country, all you have to do is spend five minutes on X and you're going to see how many parents show up and they read from these books. They tell the school board, this is what my child is being exposed to, and how many times their mics were cut, or some sitting school board member would say, that's inappropriate speech here. Oh, it's okay for Suzy in second grade to get it, but it's not okay for Susie's dad to read it at a school board meeting. I get it. Makes perfect sense. And so the Supreme Court in The Ultimate Parents Move actually includes the language and pictures from some of these books to make the point. So there's no ambiguity. Craig. We desperately needed a reaffirmation of parents rights, so take it from here. This was stunningly important.
S21: Yeah, it was, first of all, because the Supreme Court has sort of danced around the edges of the issue of parental rights versus the overwhelming power of public school officials to indoctrinate, to control, and to give permission to or deny permission for opt outs when the parents object based on free exercise of religion, which of course is embedded in the First Amendment. So you'd think there shouldn't be any argument in this case. The bottom line result and the reasoning we'll get to in a second. But the bottom the bottom line result is that the Supreme Court told Montgomery County, go back. And at least for the time being, as this case moves on, you're going to be required to have the same opt out you originally granted. And there was, by the way, no evidence whatsoever in the factual record that they stopped the original permission for opt out for people who, based on faith objections, said, I don't want my child to be exposed to this in the grade school. Remember, this is not seniors in high school ready for college. These are grade school children. And there was no evidence that it was found to be infeasible, unfeasible for them. Well, we tried it, but there were administrative nightmares that we couldn't, you know, cope with the problems. No, there was no evidence of that, that it was not feasible. It was feasible. Original originally. And then they decided to take it away. So that's the bottom line in terms of the result. But the reasoning of the case is very important. It's been more than I'd say, about four and a half decades since the Supreme Court has dealt front face, uh, on the, the, the bottom line and the top line of what happens when there's a conflict between the sincerely held religious beliefs of parents who send their children with their tax dollars to a public school, a government school, and that government public school says, no, that child belongs to us now, the village, not the parents, and we will force them to be exposed to this possible indoctrination of social values that violently conflict with the religious beliefs of the parents. So it's been four and a half or so decades since they went into that case and the Yoder case. Amish families. The Amish families won, the public schools lost in terms of forced education in general. So this is a massive clarification of the fact that parents have the fundamental constitutional right to direct the education and the morals and the religious beliefs of their children, not the public school.
S1: So when we come back, let's talk about what some of the justices wrote in their opinion and how this will affect all 50 schools, and what parents can expect in terms of being able to be the final arbiter of what Johnny and Susie have to be exposed to. This was also, by the way, not just shoring up parents rights. This is a shoring up of the First Amendment. So this was essential, timely, and with all of the challenges out there to parenting our children and our free exercise clause. Well, this is important. More after this. 6 to 3 the U.S. Supreme Court hands down a decision for parents for protecting the free exercise of religion clause in the case Mahmoud versus Taylor. I cannot tell you how significant and how important this is. And I told you it was biggie, and I told you it would be the fireworks before the fireworks. And they waited almost until the very last minute of their term to be able to hand it down. So it was just a Samuel Alito who wrote for the majority. Again, remember, it was 63 female justices. In fact, a lot of these decisions we're going to we're going to talk about that were handed down were all six, three, six, three, six, three, 6363. Same three dissenting judges every single time. The three liberal females. So Justice Alito explained that the right to exercise religion includes the parents rights to direct the religious instruction of their children and putting parents on the sidelines, which is Montgomery County. Exactly what they did when they said, you can't opt your child out while schools impose their own sexual ideology on children, obviously interferes with that, right. So, as Alito explained and I'm quoting him now, the board's introduction of the LGBTQ plus inclusive, that was their title, LGBTQ Plus Inclusive storybooks, combined with its decision to withhold notice to parents and forbid opt outs, substantially interferes with the religious development of their children. That is what every mom and dad who's been showing up at these school board meetings for the last two years has been saying, so you can cut their mics all you want to. We thank you so much for your service on the school board. But you got to understand, they're not your children. They're the children who are of the people who are coming to the microphone saying, no, absolutely not with my child. And then the paradox and the farce of all of this, of the opera buffa that this is, is that you can say to a parent, no, you can't read that here. It's inappropriate, but you can read it in second grade. Okay. So again, many parents don't have any choice. They have to send their child to a public school. And so Alito, recognizing that fact, wrote that it is the government's the government burdens the religious exercise of parents when it requires them to submit their children to instruction that pose a very real threat of undermining hugely important words coming from a Supreme Court justice. Burdens the religious exercise of parents who require them to submit to children. To submit their children to instruction that poses a very real threat of undermining the religious beliefs and practices that the parents wish to install. So that raises a question. Let me go back to something that was gently referred to on that CBS story, which is, okay, this is a victory now in Montgomery County, Maryland, but this is going to impact 50 states across the country. So those liberal propagandists who are in the classroom, who do not respect or cherish the First Amendment or choose to acknowledge the sincerely held religious beliefs of parents, they're going to have to put down these books. And if Susie's mom says, I'm opting my child out, there aren't strong footing to do that now, it seems to me.
S21: Yeah, I think so too. The elements that the court looked at here. First of all, they look at the past legal precedents for this. And clearly there was precedent in prior cases. I mentioned the Yoder case, the Amish families who objected to compulsory public education after a certain age, and the Supreme Court, uh, two and a half, four and a half decades ago, agreed with them at that point. Uh, the Barnette case versus West Virginia, that was a compulsory, um, recitation of the, uh. You know, a creed that the.
S1: Pledge of Allegiance.
S21: The pledge of Allegiance. That from a creed standpoint, any creed Jehovah's Witnesses object to. So, uh, for them, any creedal acknowledgement like that, um, is, uh, is verboten. And the Supreme Court agreed. Now, that was a free speech case with religious underpinnings, uh, as was Yoder. But Yoder was free exercise, uh, combined with the idea of parental rights. This was, uh, this case, the Mahmood case is, uh, very explicit about the fact that if there is actual objective or even implicit coercion of a child in terms of what they call normative values that conflict, we're not talking about facts. We're not talking about, you know, I don't believe in mathematics in my family, uh, as a matter of religion. So we want our child to be opted out of mathematics classes. Um, or I want them not to be exposed to history because I, you know, my family denies that the Holocaust ever took place. That is a different situation. Uh, this is where the Supreme Court looked at the curriculum, and they came to a conclusion that, in fact, that's that's why they made it very plain in their decision what this curriculum was. They said it's normative on one view of sexuality and gender identity. And that's really indoctrination, number one. So it's coercive. But number two, it directly burdens families that say, no, we absolutely don't believe in that normative approach. And again, it's not math. It's not history. Uh, it was really a course on sexuality for kids in grade school.
S1: That's why Sotomayor, in oral arguments, when they were doing the back and forth with the parties who were arguing, she talked about the difference between coercion and exposure. Well, it was a form of coercion if you don't allow Johnny to opt out of the classroom and he's forced to have to hear it, that's the very working definition of what it means to be coerced, is it not?
S21: Yeah. You don't need physical coercion. You don't need proof that they tied them to their desk. As a matter of fact, the Supreme Court for years. Remember when we had the rash of cases around the country, uh, that had been going on for quite a while, where the valedictorian of a high school class, um, delivers a speech, and they happen to be a Christian. And so they share their personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and the school finds out about it in advance and say, no, you cannot infuse your faith. Uh, and finally, one of those cases, uh, it was a rabbi who, uh, was invited to speak and, uh, the Supreme Court said, no, that's that's a, that's an unwilling audience that shouldn't have to be exposed to that. Well, now it's turned around in the right way.
S1: So, Alito says perfectly, a government burdens the religious exercise of parents when it requires them to submit their children to instruction. That poses a very real threat of undermining the religious beliefs and practices that the parents wish to install. Such interference, we have observed, carries with it precisely the kind of objective danger to the free exercise of religion that the First Amendment was designed to prevent. Great day for parents and a wonderful victory. Thank you Lord. Back after this. What's the goal of in the market? I'll tell you. In the market equips men and women to think critically and act biblically. Why do we do this? So that we can be confident when speaking the truth in a confused culture? Are you willing to stand with me? Become a partial partner today, and enjoy exclusive benefits only my partners receive while making an impact for the Kingdom? Call eight 7758 or go online to in the market with Janet Parshall So we're telling you that today is a busy day, as was yesterday, by the way, when the United States Supreme Court is now handing down some of the most interesting and, yes, some of the more controversial cases, as they always do at the end of their term, which is basically today and Monday, because July 1st, that's it. Then they'll pack up, they'll lecture, they'll write books, they'll travel abroad, and then they'll get ready to start all over again the first Monday in October. So another case had to do with free speech and pornography. And I want you to hear a state rep and why this particular person is arguing for kids to have access to pornography just by way of background. Have a listen.
S22: We should all recognize the dangers that unrestricted access to explicit content poses to young minds. Studies have shown that exposure to pornography can lead to issues like predatory behavior, abuse, anxiety, depression, and distorted views of relationship. Present day pornography is not the same as things we found in magazines from the 70s. Simply naked pictures. Pornography. Pornography of this day and age is more likely to be violent, sadistic, and have emotionally traumatizing content that children are unable to handle. In 2022, a report noted that 54% of teens surveyed first saw online pornography at age 13 or younger, with 15% exposed before age 11. The Institute for Family Studies highlights that 93% of boys and 63% of girls report exposure to internet pornography before age 18, with the average age of first exposure being 12.
S23: These parameters could limit young people's access to sexual and reproductive health care information on websites that might fall under the definition of obscenity, but really be intended for educational purposes for their use.
S1: Yeah, two different reps, two different worldviews. Big chasm between the two. Big problem, particularly with number two. You see this guys? No no no. This is going to prohibit their education. You know, we want them to be able to be exposed to these things because hey they got questions. Yeah I'll bet they do. So in the United States Supreme Court today answered some of those questions in a case called Free Speech Coalition v Paxton. Here is a report from CBS that tells you the outcome.
S24: The one big case they decided was a challenge to a Texas law that basically imposed age verification requirements for people who wanted to access porn sites on the internet. The Supreme Court considered a First Amendment challenge. Basically, adults were challenging the law, saying that these age verification requirements infringed on their First Amendment rights to read content that they wanted to see on the internet. The Supreme Court reviewed the law and upheld it. They said the law was constitutional. They applied what's known as an intermediate Immediate scrutiny test, which is not the test that the challengers were arguing for. They wanted it to be reviewed under a more strict standard of review, but the Supreme Court applied an intermediate standard of review and held that Texas's law was permissible and survived constitutional scrutiny.
S1: Okay. Now there's an awful lot there, and you're going to break that down. And for the record, Your Honor, I should point out that you briefed on this case and filed an amicus with the United States Supreme Court on this particular case. So I know you're very happy because you were arguing for exactly the outcome that happened today, which is six three. So, first of all, the porn industry is a multibillion dollar industry, and they want to get kids as quick as they can and as soon as they can, because once they've gone and they've gotten their whole neural pathways rewired, they're hooked for life. And now we're going to bring them in early so we can get them to be addicts to pornography. And they don't really care how much their lives get messed up or who gets hurt. And it is not, by the way, a victimless business by any stretch of the imagination. So you'll get into the weeds. I know about this intermediate scrutiny in a minute. But just in common parlance, explain to us exactly what happened today.
S21: Well, first of all, you don't know the ball game without knowing who the parties are and who was trying to argue against Texas law that was passed by the Texas legislature that put restrictions on websites and on social media companies to have to provide age verification so that children would not be exposed to what we call obscene for minors. Now, first of all, Supreme Court has said for many, many years, obscenity as a rule, as a general rule is, is can be outlawed, can be prohibited by legislatures, even for adults. So obscenity as a as a rule, is not protected by the First Amendment. Now we have another category called obscene for minors. Meaning from the standpoint of a minor viewing Interviewing it. It is obscene, even if it's not deemed to be obscene for adults. And that obviously makes sense. The emotional development, spiritual, moral and so forth of a of a child is different than an adult, supposedly. Um, we allow certain speech to be exposed to adults that we don't for children. So that's the general framework. Now, what the the arguments against this law in Texas about just you got to prove your age with a variety of different mechanisms, uh, driver's license or other documents or, uh, any, frankly, any reasonable, uh, age verification system that isn't unduly burdensome, uh, could comply could comply with the Texas law. So who are the people arguing against it? It was the pornography industry and sex workers who were represented by the same group. In other words, these are people who want to put the vilest kind of, uh, emotionally damaging information and content and visual depictions in front of children, because what's their argument? Well, because a couple of some, some adults may have it have a hard time with this idea of I have to verify my age. I don't like that. Uh, it invades my privacy. Oh, in other words, you don't want the world to know. Or at least someone who's regulatory to know that you want to view this stuff. Well, that burden is not a substantial burden. The burden really is on the children whose lives will be destroyed or twisted as a result of this. In the Supreme Court decided that this is reasonable. Now, this intermediate, uh, intermediate scrutiny issue was very, very important because you really have three levels of scrutiny. One is strict scrutiny. And that's a very high standard that a state legislature or Congress has to meet, and very rarely can they meet that and have their law upheld without being struck down. Obviously, the porn industry and the sex worker industry wanted the highest level because they wanted a chance of winning this thing, hands down. Well, the court didn't give them that. Now the lowest level is called rational basis, and almost every law is upheld under rational basis. What they did is they struck a bargain and they had an intermediate standard. And I think, frankly, the brief that I wrote up for an organization American Principles project, we said, look, it passes either rational basis or intermediate scrutiny. Intermediate scrutiny simply means that you have to have a, quote, substantial state interest or governmental interest in protecting children. Doesn't have to be compelling. And you don't have to meet a number of other requirements in terms of making sure that you fashion this law perfectly without being overly broad or overly inclusive or under inclusive and all these technical requirements. No, it simply has to be a substantial interest, uh, and tied to a reasonable result in terms of how you legislate. So the bottom line is this states can now and by the way, there are more than 20 states already with similar laws similar to Texas. So this is a very important case because now it affects a number of states, these laws and they can put them into effect. And of course the porn industry is, uh, angry upset because they're losing their, their money base, uh, because you have to pay to get onto these sites, many of them, and they hook you with free content. And then, uh, teenagers and middle schoolers can start using their parents credit card to try to overcome the barriers to being able to have exposure to this. So not only is it important from the standpoint of porn, it's also the first time the Supreme Court has really said there are reasonable mechanisms by which state legislatures or, and or Congress, and this is winding its way to Congress, uh, are to, uh, constitutionally going to be able to regulate social media giants who up to now have had carte blanche in doing whatever they want to do, and they are rogue nations in themselves. That's probably going to come to an end.
S1: So let me make this again in common parlance. So the United States Supreme Court basically lays out the framework and says, hey, it's constitutional. Now Congress can put some meat on those bones by saying, we're going to put in place legislative language that allows at the federal level anyway, some kinds of requirements for age verification. And we're also at the same time, because of the Supreme Court able to protect those 20 states that already have those laws. So it's huge.
S21: Yeah. Yeah. And this context happens to be porn, but that there can be a wide variety of harms to children. And there are on the internet and social media. And if the Congress now wants to take a look at this, with this new legal framework that the Supreme Court has given, is given a template for how it would look at some federal legislation to further protect children in terms of online harms. And I think there's some folks right now in Congress probably making sure they got ink in their pens to start working on that from a federal standpoint.
S1: And it's got the porn industry hopping mad. And I couldn't be happier.
S21: Your bias is showing.
S1: Yes. And may it ever be showing.
S21: Yeah. This man I have to tell you, this was never a free.
S1: It's it's a joke.
S21: Isn't it ironic that the Free Speech Coalition, which was a lobbying arm for the porn industry, was arguing it's a free speech issue. It is none of the free speech issues that the Supreme Court has looked at before, because, quite frankly, it was not a burden on free speech. It was a burden on the porn industry. And that doesn't count.
S1: Yeah, that's exactly right. Again, multi-billion dollar industry. You know, there is a comparison, is there not between Mahmud, the first case we talked about and this one, the Free Speech Coalition, Vpax. And at the center of both of these are our kids, our families. Satan hates the family first institution, God's grace and a place of perfection. No wonder they're under assault. So you know what? Here's that sound of that trumpet Nehemiah warned us about. Fight for your families today. You got a couple of great victories back after this. So we're going to talk about, yet again, another case, because this really is about something more than the way it'll be spin in the evening news. And of course it's going to be spun, because anytime Donald Trump is in the middle of a news story, it gets spun. So let me turn to another alphabet soup outlet and let you hear their summation of this landmark decision. Have a listen.
S25: In a monumental case before the Supreme Court, the justices ruling President Trump can move forward with implementing the end of birthright citizenship. The High Court today, focusing on whether district courts have the ability to issue nationwide injunctions on Trump's executive order.
S26: Thanks to this decision, we can now promptly file to proceed with numerous policies that have been wrongly enjoined on a nationwide basis.
S25: The decision six three split along ideological lines. Justice Amy Coney Barrett, with the opinion of the court writing, universal injunctions likely exceed the equitable authority that Congress has given to federal courts. Justice Sonia Sotomayor, writing in dissent, descent. No right is safe in the new legal regime. The court creates.
S26: Birthright. That's a big one.
S25: President Trump signing the controversial executive order on day one of his second term, limiting U.S. citizenship only to children born in the U.S. to lawful permanent residents, ending a right that's been guaranteed by the Constitution for more than 150 years. Federal judges in three states ruled the ban on birthright citizenship violates the Constitution's 14th amendment, issuing nationwide injunctions blocking it from going into effect. The Trump administration then making an emergency appeal to the Supreme Court during oral arguments in May. The administration argued the federal judges overreached their authority.
S27: This was only about whether the district judge could enjoin the enforcement of that nationwide. What will now see is the actual question of what the 14th amendment means, whether a president acting alone, without Congress, without an amendment to the Constitution, can change our understanding of how we've implemented that for the last 150 years.
S25: And then beyond this case, this decision could have wide ranging effects on other issues. Other actions Trump is trying to press forward that have either been stopped or limited by the federal court. That includes funding freezes and mass layoffs. Liv. The Supreme Court, Perry russom channel seven Eyewitness News.
S1: Now that's their spin. There's a whole lot more to it than that. But before we kind of set the record straight here, the president did react to the decision today. Here's what he said this morning.
S26: The Supreme Court has delivered a monumental victory for the Constitution, the separation of powers and the rule of law in striking down the excessive use of nationwide injunctions to interfere with the normal functioning of the executive branch. The Supreme Court has stopped the presidency itself. That's what they've done. There are people elated all over the country. I've seen such such happiness in spirit. Sometimes you don't see that. But this case is very important. I was elected on a historic mandate, but in recent months we've seen a handful of radical left judges effectively tried to overrule the rightful powers of the president to stop the American people from getting the policies that they voted for in record numbers. And thanks to this decision, we can now promptly file to proceed with numerous policies that have been wrongly enjoined on a nationwide basis. And some of the cases we're talking about would be ending birthright citizenship, which now comes to the fore that was meant for the babies of slaves. It wasn't meant for people trying to scam the system and come into the country on a vacation. This lets us go there and finally win that case, because hundreds of thousands of people are pouring into our country under birthright citizenship, and it wasn't meant for that reason.
S1: Now, let's pick up on the fact that why this case is significant and you may have voted for or against him. Actually, that's utterly immaterial. This is really a transcendent question about the separation of powers and whether or not if a president signs an executive order or pleads for an injunction to be put in place, whether or not a lower court judge has the right to supersede the authority of the executive branch of the government. It's a fascinating question. If you care about American civics, even if you're not interested in American jurisprudence, I think it's an important question. So again, six three, the same three dissenting on this one as the other two cases we talked about before. So Amy Coney Barrett talked about the idea of universal injunction. That's really kind of the spinal column in this whole case. What does it.
S21: Mean? Yeah. Well, let me contrast what the argument is, which is any birth from an illegal alien in the United States has birthright. Now, that's the constitutional question which the Supreme Court has not yet discussed, or at least they haven't decided yet. They had to clear, however, the issue of single judges being able to impose an injunction Nationwide. And when they took a look at that, they decided, number one, based on the congressional history of how Congress has treated this, there's no indication Congress ever intended this. And by the way, Congress does have authority with regard to certain procedural aspects of the federal judiciary. There are separate branches, but Congress does have some limited ability to weigh in on procedural issues with regard to judiciary. And the Supreme Court said there's no history there. There's also really no history of good interpretation by the Supreme Court. Previously, uh, that there is such a right now, I will give you one hypothetical that might that might occur, let's say that, uh, one of the interpreters that our military used over in Afghanistan is a woman, and she happens to be pregnant, and she's an interpreter, a language interpreter. She's not an American citizen. When Afghanistan, of course, falls, and we retreat and we pull people back, including interpreters and people who have aided our military effort. We fly that woman back to the United States, not an American citizen, and that child is born. There's a good argument under the Constitution, just like the slavery issue, bringing people into the country, uh, either against their will or under those circumstances. But illegal aliens know that will now be decided, and it won't be on a single judge for the whole country.
S1: To that end, again, it was Justice Barrett who did write for the majority. And she said, in fact, this is interesting, Craig. She pointedly addressed Justice Jackson's arguments. And she said, and I quote, we will not dwell. This is in her written opinion. We will not dwell on Justice Jackson's argument, which is at odds with more than two centuries worth of precedent, not to mention the Constitution itself. We observe only this justice Jackson decries an imperial executive while embracing an imperial judiciary. What do you think of that?
S21: Yeah. Separate but equal. Okay. But not super equal. Right? Yeah. I love that language. And I love that decision. And we really came down with some blockbusters and I was you and I are rarely happy on all of those kind of cases at the end of a term. This time was remarkably positive for the American people and for upholding the Constitution.
S1: Yeah. So again, transcended issues. One parents, actually two, dealing with parents rights, whether they can opt their child out under the free exercise of religion clause, the second, protecting their children from being exposed to pornography on the internet, and the third, this idea of the separation of powers. And that's extreme. Forget who's in office. It is. That's the wonderful thing about these documents. They've long outlived anyone who's occupied the Oval Office or sits in Congress or even at the High Court. So this was important for making sure that the Constitution remains fully intact. Hope you have a great weekend. We'll see you next time on in the market with Janet Parshall.