S1: Do you ever wonder why God didn't keep the serpent out of the Garden of Eden? And were Adam and Eve somehow to blame for Cain's failure? Coming up, you'll meet the characters of creation, Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, the serpent, and more. Plus, Charlie Dyer's devotional will help you understand the Jewish festival known as Sukkot. And of course, we'll leave plenty of time to answer your questions about the Bible, Israel, and more. It's a lively conversation straight ahead on today's edition of The Land and the book. Welcome. I'm John Gager. Our host is author and Israel expert doctor Charlie Dyer. Boy, lots of news coming out of the Middle East today. Charlie. Oh, John. There is it's amazing.
S2: Just trying to keep up with it all. But that gives me a great thing to do every morning.
S1: That's right. And of course, Israel has been in the news so much this past year, Israel being focused on in the Bible, where it's jam packed with end times prophecies about epic world events, the regathering of the Jewish people to their ancient homeland. That, of course, Jesus return. So crucial, though, for us as believers to have a proper understanding of Bible prophecy. Why? So our view of the future is shaped by Scripture and not just today's headlines. Right, Charlie.
S2: That's absolutely right, John. And with that in mind, our friends at Life and Messiah have published a book titled God, Israel and Bible Prophecy that they're offering to listeners of the land in the book for a limited time. This informative book is focused on providing readers with a deeper understanding and greater appreciation of what God has in store for Israel and the nations by digging into what the scriptures say about these issues. Now, if you're interested in learning more about what God has in store, visit Life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: And now a look at the stories coming out of the Middle East this past week. Since October the 1st, the world has been waiting to see how Israel would respond to the barrage of missiles fired against them by Iran. What do we know right now about this attack?
S2: Well, we know it's not a question of if Israel is going to respond, but how and when. And right now, we're still waiting for those answers. The expectation is that a key part of the response will be a strike by Israel's air force. And apparently Israel has already decided on the targets to be hit in addition to its air force. Israel also has its own arsenal of ballistic missiles, though it's unclear if they will use them in the attack. Israel's defense minister said Israel's response would be precise, painful and surprising, possibly alluding to more than just an aerial attack. For example, it could include cyber attacks, assassinations of key leaders and sabotaged equipment. They've used all of those in the past against Hezbollah and Hamas. Most Israelis see this as the ideal opportunity to strike Iran's nuclear program, which Israel views as an existential threat. But President Biden has said the U.S. opposes any attack on Iran's nuclear facilities or its oil production facilities, and with the U.S. providing both offensive weapons and defensive support, Israel is taking his warning very seriously. In addition, because of an apparent shortage of interceptor missiles, Israel and the U.S. are working to counter Iran's expected response. The U.S. sent an advanced Thad, or Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system to Israel to add an additional layer of protection for the country, while Iran's nuclear sites and oil production facilities might be off the table. Israel could still hit military bases, missile and drone production sites, and Iran's power grid. Now, as we're recording this program, the attack hasn't yet happened, but it could take place at any time. In fact, even between now and when the programme is aired. One thing though, is for sure when Israel finally responds, it will send a clear message to Iran that Israel is serious about defending itself against all foreign threats. In the past, Iran's three biggest threats against Israel were Hezbollah, Hamas and Iran's missiles. Now they'll experience what Israel is capable of doing.
S1: Well, in a meeting last week with Iran's president, Russian President Putin called for a new world order. Who does he envision being part of this new order, and what impact might it all have on Israel and the U.S.?
S2: Well, Putin's New world order definitely involves Russia and Iran, but it also includes other allies of the two countries that he wants to bring together to counter the power and influence of the West. Some of the other countries that attended the conference included the heads of Central Asian nations like Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan and Pakistan. I guess you had to be a Stan stun to be included there. In fact, he also wanted to include Turkmenistan and other countries like China and a number of African nations. These strengthening ties include both economic and military cooperation. Russia's increased ties with Iran are the model for what Putin would like to develop elsewhere. Recently, Iran sent two satellites to Russia to be launched into orbit. One is a high resolution imaging satellite, the other a smaller communications satellite. Iran says the imaging satellite will be used for agriculture, environmental monitoring, disaster management and communication, but it could also be used to identify targets in Israel. In terms of the impact this might have on the US and the West, well, Putin is definitely trying to carve out an alliance that could help these countries bypass sanctions imposed by the West. He's also hoping to replace the West's influence in the Middle East and Africa with this new alliance. This complements the influence Russia has already been trying to carve out for itself in different countries in Africa, and it also aligns with Iran's attempts to expand its influence in the same region. From a biblical perspective, it parallels the alliance described in Ezekiel 38 and 39 that will someday form against Israel as part of the end times. Not all the countries listed there are currently part of this budding alliance, but the parallels are striking. Russia, Iran, Libya and Sudan are listed in those chapters, and they're currently aligning with or under the influence of this new axis. Boy, that's.
S1: An interesting development. This is the land and the book from Moody Radio. If you've joined us midstream, our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer, is working us through a list of current events stories from the week. Archaeologists claim to have uncovered evidence detailing how Assyrian King Sennacherib's invasion of Judah impacted Judah's economy in the days of King Hezekiah. What exactly did they uncover, and how valid are the connections they're apparently making?
S2: Well, this report shows both the significance and the limitations of archaeology. Archaeologists discovered the remains of two royal administrative centers about halfway between Jerusalem and Bethlehem. The first was completely destroyed, with the second built directly on top of its ruins. Inside the ruins, 180 jar handles with seal impressions were found. The original building had a mixture of handles with private names and handles that were stamped belonging to the king, or in Hebrew, la melek. In the rebuilt center, only handles stamped with Elimelech belonging to the king were found. Both sites date to the end of the eighth century BC, around the time of King Hezekiah and the Assyrian invasion of Judah. As we know from the Bible and from Assyrian sources, that Assyria invaded Judah and devastated the land, but weren't able to conquer Jerusalem or remove Hezekiah from the throne. The archaeologists are suggesting the Assyrians destroyed the first structure and then built the second on top of it to collect taxes from Judah after re-establishing control over the country. In their view, the lamella seals represented the collection of taxes in oil and grain to be paid to the Assyrians. However, the Bible actually offers a different understanding of the events. In 701 BC. Second Kings 18 and 19 begin with a summary of what happened. Hezekiah rebelled. Assyria attacked, and when it was all over, Hezekiah remained on the throne, though being forced to pay a heavy financial penalty that included a large payment of both gold and silver. Jerusalem itself was spared by divine intervention. When the Angel of the Lord killed 185,000 Assyrian soldiers, forcing Sennacherib to withdraw. However, Judah was devastated, with both cities, towns and fields destroyed. Likely, the first building was destroyed by the Assyrians. If it was a royal storage facility, the Assyrians would have looted the oil and grain for their army and to try to starve out the country. But the Hebrew lamella handles in the rebuilt structure would seem to point to control of the facility by Judah, not the Assyrians. Lamella seals like this have been found at other sites, and suggest a place where produce was collected as taxes. In two Kings 19, Isaiah tells Hezekiah, this year you'll eat what grows by itself, and the second year what springs from that. But in the third year, sow and reap, plant vineyards and eat their fruit. Now that suggests that Judah would experience a prolonged food shortage following the Assyrian attack. And perhaps that's why the new building was constructed, and a system to store and distribute grain and oil was reestablished. Not to pay taxes to the Assyrians, but to provide food for those left in the land. The archaeology provides some pieces, but in this case we need to look to the biblical text for the larger picture.
S1: Smart aid, an Israeli non-governmental organization or NGO, has sent power and communication equipment to hurricane stricken areas in the US. Tell us about this humanitarian organization from Amazing Israel.
S2: Yeah, we're used to hearing about US aid groups traveling around the world to help in times of need. You know, Samaritan's Purse is one of those organizations that comes to mind, but Israel also has groups that do the same thing. And we've talked in the past about rescue workers and doctors and portable hospitals they send. But this story is about another organization, this smart aid group that sends solar power units and communication systems to hard hit areas in the wake of Hurricane Helene. They immediately shipped two units to Asheville, North Carolina, to provide electrical and communications support to first responders, local charities, and the communities at large, and more mobile trailers are on the way. Each trailer is staffed by five people and uses solar panels to provide electricity to shelters and clinics without power. They also provide a place where emergency responders can charge their cell phones, and they help keep communications systems operational. In addition, each unit also has solar powered water pumps and atmospheric water generators to provide fresh water literally out of thin air. When a disaster strikes, no group can do everything, but a group like this from Amazing Israel has focused on this one area where they can do something to make a positive impact. And all I want to say is a hearty thank you to Smart Aid and their volunteers from Amazing Israel.
S1: Great story to wrap up our opening segment. Thank you Charlie. I'm looking forward, though, to this conversation about the characters of creation that's next on the land and the book. We call this program The Land and the book. But if you don't properly understand that book, the Bible, well, it can lead to all kinds of trouble. That's why it's so important that we begin at the beginning. This is the land and the book. I'm John Gager and you're about to meet the characters of creation. First, though, let's give some thought to a fresh idea on loving our Jewish friends and neighbors for Christ. If you're interested in your Jewish friend, you better be interested in their holidays. Like the Feast of Tabernacles. Roy Schwartz is with Chosen People Ministries. How can we seize this holiday to spice a conversation up for Jesus?
S3: Well, you can say, I am so grateful for the Feast of Tabernacles because it reminds me that I'm just passing through, that I'm just dwelling in a sukkah, that my body is a tabernacle, is a sukkah, a dwelling place. And it's a reminder that I'm in the wilderness and Tabernacles is an annual reminder that I am just passing through, and that God provided for me, just like he provided for the Jewish people. Water in the wilderness, his presence by a pillar of fire by night and a cloud by day. And he tabernacled in the midst of us, he tabernacled among us. And that's what God has done in the Messiah and Feast of Tabernacles. Reminds me of all of that.
S1: Great thoughts from Roy Schwartz of Chosen People Ministries. Daniel Darling is an author, pastor, and leader. He was recently appointed as the director of the Land Center for Cultural Engagement at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. Dan is a best selling author of several books, including his newest Moody Publishers release, The Characters of Creation The Men, women, Creatures, and Serpent Present at the beginning of the world. He and his wife Angela have four children. It's really good to have you back on the land and the book, Dan.
S4: Well, thank you, and I'm so grateful to be on here and grateful to be on Moody Radio again. We're so many good things happen. Yeah.
S1: Well, you know, when you come to that creation story, there is no character greater or more central to the story than God Himself. He is the story. But what do we sometimes overlook? Do you think about his role in creation?
S4: Well, I think we overlook the fact that the Bible opens with this really bold declaration that God is like in the beginning, God. And, you know, it really is counter to a lot of the ways that people think about God, whether they're contemporary ideas about, you know, how the world came to be or even ancient myths that, you know, the world came to be as a clash of deities or all these things? And the Bible says, no, God always was. As theologians call it, the pre-existence of God. And that the world, you see is created by a loving father who created things for his glory. He created us in his image. And I think Moses is trying to set the tone to say all that comes after. All the things that you see stem from the fact that God is. And if God is and he is who he says he is, then everything else follows from that.
S1: Adam and Eve, Our first parents may not have been the best parents. Is it possible that the godless path Cain took is at least somewhat rooted in a failure of Adam and Eve to pass on their faith? Or am I being too harsh here? I mean, adult children. They do make their own choices. What do you think?
S4: Well, I mean, I think at the very least we clearly see that, you know, when James says in the book of James, when sin conceives, it brings forth death. It's really true that sin is not something to be trifled with. When Adam and Eve first abandoned the way of the father, they listened to the voice of the serpent. They sought to live life on their own and dabble with sin. That the serpent was wrong, that you will surely die, that sin as it shows itself in marvels its way into the human heart. It brings forth death. And already in the first generation you have a brother murdering another brother. And so this is the problem with sin. This is the Bible's opening passages and saying, you know, this is what's wrong with the human heart. There's something fundamentally corrupt about it. And so, yeah, I think in some ways, you know, Adam, you imagine the grief him and Eve felt knowing that they did once walk with God in the cool of the day, they lost that through their sin with the serpent. And then they had to see that play out in their own generation, their own family. How that must have been just grievous for them. Yeah.
S1: Daniel Darling is an author, pastor and leader. We're talking with him today about his newest Moody publishers release, The Characters of Creation. Well, the question that so many have asked through the centuries, Dan, is why not just bar the serpent from even entering the Garden of Eden? Your thoughts?
S4: That's a great question. And, you know, theologians have wrestled with that for all of human history. But, you know, it's hard for us to understand the mind of God. But God was not surprised, obviously, by the serpent and even uses Satan's deceptions and lies and destruction toward his glory and toward his end that God has even. It's hard for us to understand this, but God is even using those things for his own glory. As Joseph said, you know what others intend for evil? God intends for good. And so, buried in the awful tragedy of the garden is this beautiful story of God's redemption, his sending of Jesus, his rescuing of the human race, and rescuing of the planet.
S1: Which character in the creation story? As you look at the whole collection, do you think we least understand?
S4: That's a great question. I mean, I think, you know, I think it's interesting. We do spend a lot of time on Adam and Eve. But I do think what's interesting about Adam is that even though Eve was the first one who was deceived, you know, it's God who judges Adam first. It's Paul who uses Adam to typify humans, deal with the devil. And, you know, the first Adam, and then Jesus is the second Adam. I think in a weird way, we don't really understand Adam. And just imagine what it must have been like to be him, to be on both sides of the fall and to see his sin play out. I mean, all of us, in some respect, see our sinful choices play out before us. For fathers, we see, even as we do our best to raise our children, we see our choices play out some negative ways. We see that traits picked up by our kids. Adam had that in real living color. And yet we see in the garden one of my most favorite passages, when God comes searching for Adam and he asks Adam, where are you? And it's not God saying, you know that he lost Adam, but that he was searching and going after Adam and in his worst moment in his sin. And that's the kind of God we have, that he comes after us and searches after us, and he finds us even when we're in the midst of our worst moments. You know, the Bible says, when when we were sinners in the midst of our sin, Christ died for us.
S1: I want to go back to Cain for a moment. Here in the book, you make the comment, you wonder how Cain got this way. Was it a slow journey of rebellion? Well, I wonder that too. What's your best guess, Dan?
S4: You know, the Bible doesn't give you a lot of that narrative, but clearly when you have the the story of him and Abel, you know, they're clearly older. We don't know how old they are, but, you know, sin doesn't sort of just happen over, you know, these big egregious sins like murder don't happen overnight. In fact, the the Lord warned him earlier and said, hey, sin crouches at your door when God rejected his offering and he didn't repent. He said, this little seed of sin that you're nurturing, this resentment, this anger, this rebellion, is going to manifest into something bigger that you can't control. And that's really a lesson for us. There's an old song that says, I think it's an old gospel song that says, sin will take you farther than you want to go. And that's really what happened with Cain. And I do wonder, does it nurture over time this, this rivalry with his brother? Clearly, when he brought his sacrifice, he knew that he was making a rebellious statement. You know, they clearly knew what was expected. You know, Abel knew what was expected in the sacrifice. So here Cain tries to go his own way. He tries to do his own thing and is rejected by God. And that slowly, over time, sin manifests. That's what happens when we nurture sin in our hearts. Whether it's anger, whether it's lust, whether it's pride, if we don't deal with it. As John Owens says, we don't be killing sin. It will kill us.
S1: You're listening to The Land and the book. I'm John Gager, talking today with Moody Publishers author Daniel Darling, who's recently released The Characters of Creation. A major character in the story of Creation, of course, is the deceiver in the Garden of Eden. He takes on the form of a serpent. In the book, you comment. The serpent's appeals, so crafty and surgical, are repeated by the enemy every day since that fateful day in the garden. Give me an example or two.
S4: Well, I think we sometimes view Satan as this big, lumbering, angry, fiery red guy with horns. And in some ways he is. He's right. He's looking about whom he may devour, but he's crafty. The Bible says he's the craftiest and wisest and most cunning member of the animal kingdom, and Satan custom designs temptations specifically for each of us, and so we have to be careful about pride in thinking, okay, we watched somebody sin and we say, I could never do that. Well, you may never do that, but Satan is a custom designed temptation for you. And I think we're foolish if we think we can resist Satan with our own strength. This is why we need to pray the Lord's Prayer. Lead me not into temptation. We need the Holy Spirit's power to resist the wiles of Satan. He will tempt us in ways that we don't see coming. He will tempt us with influences that we don't see coming. Sometimes he'll prey on our gifts, the things we're most gifted at and and use that as a way to bring about our downfall. You know, most of temptation doesn't come in obvious ways. It comes through the back door. And, you know, I think Satan is good at that. But if we know Christ and through the power of the spirit, we can overcome temptation and we can resist the devil, and he will flee from us.
S1: If there was a third seat in this conversation, a chair and a microphone. And joining us were the Almighty himself. And I mean no disrespect here. What do you think he would respond if we were to ask him about his thoughts that awful day when Adam and Eve succumbed to temptation? Obviously, he had foreknowledge. Maybe we're talking more about his heart, what he was feeling. What do you think he was processing as that drama of deception unfolded?
S4: Well, obviously you have to say that the heart of God was grieved. You know, he does grieve at sin, but you take a step backward and look just what Adam and Eve were deciding in that moment. They were looking around at this beautiful world that their loving father created for them, full of beauty and goodness and light. And they were given all the raw materials so that they could be fruitful and multiply and subdue the earth. They can create in the image of their loving creator. They were walking with God in the cool of the day, and to listen to the voice of the serpent who comes along and what he says is basically he doubts God's goodness. He gets Adam and Eve to think, well, maybe the Heavenly Father who created us in his image, who sculpted us with his hands from the dust of the ground, who breathed into us the breath of life, who crafted us with care and precision and and attention. Maybe he's holding out on us. Maybe there's something we don't know. Maybe we can live this life on our own without him. And what a rejection that was at the heart of it was ingratitude to say the father, he's not a good father, and I need to order my own life instead of letting the Heavenly Father order it for me. And so that grieves the heart of God. Sin grieves the heart of God. Yes. Yet he also is a God of mercy who pursued Adam and Eve and immediately offered that glimpse of a promise to renew and restore the human race.
S1: You have twice now referenced that verse in the Genesis account, referring to Adam and Eve walking with God in the cool of the day. I don't want to be out of bounds here, but I'd like to go for a morning walk when we're out at our camper. It is so beautiful. So many trees are lining, arching over the roads that I often stop from trying to memorize my little scripture packet and just talk to God. And it is such a lovely experience, and I keep going back to the notion this had to be a little bit what it was like to talk with God in the cool of the day. Am I reaching too far?
S4: I don't think so. I mean, obviously they were innocent. They did not have sin, so there was no barrier between them and God. Now, what's interesting about Adam and Eve? They were innocent, but they were not necessarily righteous, right? Jesus proved by his life that he was both innocent and righteous. And one day we will be made fully righteous. But they did have a relationship with God that was uninhibited by sin. And of course, after the fall we have sin. And so, you know, you look through the narrative of the Old Testament that in order to meet God, we have to have to be mediated, you know, through the tabernacle, through the temple. But now in the new covenant, because of Jesus death and resurrection, because he defeated sin and death in the grave and the veil has been torn. The Bible does say we can come boldly to the throne of grace. We can have a relationship with God through Christ. It may not be quite what Adam and Eve had, but we can experience the fullness of a relationship with God. We can talk to him. He can be our friend. He can be our father, and he listens to us and we hear from him. And so I do think what you're describing is something that we can have. And that's what's unique about Christianity, by the way, that Christianity says that you can have a personal relationship with the God of the universe. You can know and be known by the God of the universe through Jesus, because God has come among us and made a way. And so, no, it's a beautiful thing. And I think that's something that, um, you know, shameful in many ways for many of us is we have access to God through Christ, and we often don't take advantage of that. And we don't have those conversations like we should, and we don't walk with God like we can, like we're invited to.
S1: Well, you thought you understood the characters of creation, and I'm sure you've got the basic facts, but if it's been a while since you've dug a little deeper. This book, easy to read, fascinating to digest, will put you in touch in a fresh, new way. I recommend it from Moody Publishers and today's guest, Daniel Darling. The Characters of creation a link at our web site. The land and the book.org. Dan, thanks so much for your time. Always a great conversation.
S5: John, thank you and thank you for your great thoughts. I loved having this conversation with.
S1: You, and we're looking forward to rejoining with Charlie Dyer after the other side of this break here on the land and the book. We're. So glad you've stuck with us here at the Land and the book for segment three, John Jaeger here with our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer. Questions and answers coming your way. But of course, you know, Charlie Israel has been in the news a lot over the past year. And as we know, the Bible is jam packed with end times prophecies about epic world events, the regathering of the Jewish people to their ancient homeland. And of course, Jesus returned. It is so crucial, I think, for us as believers to have a proper understanding of Bible prophecy. So our view of the future is shaped by Scripture, not just whatever we're seeing online in the news. Right?
S2: That's absolutely correct. And with that in mind, our friends at Life and Messiah have published a book titled God, Israel and Bible Prophecy, and they're offering it to listeners of the land and the book for a limited time. This informative book is focused on providing readers with a deeper understanding and greater appreciation of what God has in store for Israel and the nations by digging into what the scriptures say about these issues. Now, if you're interested in learning more about what God has in store, visit Life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button there to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: All right, let's go to question number one from George. Has any secular or archaeological history been found that collaborates Israel's exodus from Egypt or Joseph's place in Egypt's history. So many other historical events have been confirmed by the Bible and other sources, yet I haven't seen anything concerning these two events.
S2: I need to answer this a couple of ways. First, on the whole, there isn't a great deal of historical evidence found in Egypt for Joseph or the Exodus, but that's really not a problem for several reasons. Chronologically, Joseph coincides with the Second Intermediate Period of Egypt's history following the collapse of the Middle Kingdom, and there's really not much information from that period. And while the Exodus took place in the New Kingdom era, that was a time of power and influence. But Egypt placed virtually no emphasis in any of its monuments on its failures. Instead, it always focused on glorifying its success and tended to leave out the other stuff. But also there's some discoveries that do help support the Bible. One is called the Dream Stela of Thutmose. The fourth was found at the base of the Sphinx, and it basically says the Pharaoh was there, had a dream. And the God said to him, if you clean away the sand from the Sphinx, I'll make you Pharaoh. And of course, the question would be is if he was the oldest son or the firstborn son, he would become Pharaoh. So it suggests that he may have had an older brother who died, and that would have been right at the time of the exodus. Now, finally, there's a scholar who's trying to find more direct and credible links. I'm not professionally qualified to evaluate his arguments, but I found the book interesting. His name is Douglas Petrovich. It's Petrovich, and he's written a book titled origins of the Hebrews New Evidence of Israelites in Egypt from Joseph to the Exodus. And I'd encourage you to take a look at that book and see what you think of that.
S1: All right. Thank you for that question. Here's one from Bill. He says, I have a Jewish friend to whom I have tried to present Jesus in word and deed. She's divorced in a horrible custody battle. The judge gave custody to the ex-husband. And under his care, their son died. She's devastated, doesn't want to live, feels life is meaningless. I'm guessing now is not the time to be preaching Jesus to her, even though that I know that that's her only path to peace and comfort. How would you handle this situation? Yeah, I'd.
S2: Take a slightly different approach, I think, in responding here. We're not told much in the Bible on things like the age of accountability and others, so I wouldn't go there. What I'd suggest is first, assure her of your concern and your prayer reminder of verses in the Bible like Psalm 3418, the Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. I share other verses with her, including some from the New Testament. I think of Jesus's words in Matthew 11 come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. But use God's Word to share its message of comfort and hope. And then when the time might seem appropriate, and you'll have to just trust God's leading in this, I would suggest you try to explain as simply as possible the gospel message. Tell her God understands what it means to lose a son, since he gave his one and only son to pay for our sin. If you can, let her know that even in her Bible, the Tanakh, it talks about God sending the Messiah to die to pay the penalty for our sin. See if you can have a read Isaiah 5213 through 53. 12 now you definitely want to display care, concern and great tact, but the message of God's love and salvation are the message of hope that can make an eternal impact on her life. So ask God to give you that wisdom and also ask him to prepare her heart to respond.
S1: This is the land in the book from Moody Radio. Questions and answers the segment title with our host, Charlie Dyer. Pat says in acts 16, when Paul and Silas are in prison in Philippi and an earthquake opens the cells, why do you suppose the other prisoners stayed there and didn't try to escape, since it appears their chains fell off as well and their prison doors were also opened. That's always baffled me a little. What are your thoughts?
S2: Yeah, and we're not told specifically in that text. So you got to take what I'm going to say with a grain of salt. But in verse 23, after having them severely beaten, the magistrates commanded the jailer to guard them securely or carefully. But the Greek word that's used there is the same one Judas used in his instructions to the guards. When he went to Jesus, he said, whomever I kiss, he's the one. Seize him and lead him away under guard. That's the word that's used there. And the point is, they were to make sure he didn't get away. So the Philippian jailer was under orders. Make sure these prisoners are kept under strict security. But the second thing I notice is the jailer apparently was at the jail all night when it says he woke up and saw the doors open. I take that to mean he was right there in the prison. I suspect the rumbling woke him up. You know, perhaps from a deep sleep. And when he looked through the dust and the darkness, he saw that all the doors were open and simply assumed everyone had fled. And that's why he was going to kill himself. But that leads to my final observation, I suspect. The shaking, the rumbling, the rocks falling, dust flying, chain snapping, doors flying open and banging against the walls shocked and frightened the prisoners as much as it did the jailer. When someone's paralyzed by fear, we talk about him being like a deer in the headlights. A natural reaction is just to freeze in place. Add to that the fact that the prison was pitch dark, since the jailer has to call for lights before rushing inside. I think the prisoners were shocked by the earthquake, blinded by the darkness and dust, and momentarily stunned, and he rushed in before they could even think about any other options.
S1: Jim says, I heard a reformed theology professor essentially state that regeneration comes before faith because a dead man cannot choose. What's your opinion on this?
S2: Well, and Jim also quoted from Robert Soucy, and my answer is I like what Robert Soucy said. The problem with a pure reformed view is that if you take it to its logical conclusion, it removes the incentive to witness. Why bother to witness to a spiritual corpse? It also ignores all the passages that talk about extending an invitation to someone to exercise their will and come to faith. You know, we just talked about the Philippian jailer in that previous question. And when he said, what do I need to do to be saved? Paul tells him to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. But how could Paul tell him to do that, if indeed the reality is that he could do nothing? So I personally think reconciling individual faith and regeneration is a mystery. On the one hand, we are called to exercise faith for salvation. On the other, regeneration is a work of God. So I'll let God handle the details of fitting those together. My role is to encourage someone to exercise faith in Christ and to call on him for salvation.
S1: Brian says a lot of believers unfortunately backslide and fall into deep sin. I heard someone else recently say, the Bible teaches that God does not see sin in the believer because we are clothed with the righteousness of Christ the Son. I'm not excusing sin. I would like to know the best way for us to understand this whole issue. Yeah, and in.
S2: First, John, I need to add a few details at the beginning, just to give a larger context for my answer. In all of John's writings, I see him speaking in black and white terms. That is, John is looking at spiritual matters in terms of absolutes. Light versus darkness, Life versus death, sin versus righteousness. It's just his style in writing. Second, I believe John is internally consistent, so you need to interpret one part of what he says in light of the rest of the book. So here's why I think that's important. In chapter three, when John says, no one who abides in him sins, or no one who's born of God sins, we need to understand what he said in a way that harmonizes what he'd already said in chapter one. There he wrote, if we say we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar and His word is not in us. So I don't believe we can say that the verses in chapter three mean God doesn't see sin. That just seems to contradict what he's already said in chapter one. I think the best approach in chapter three, though not without its own problems, is to see John's use of the present tense there to describe a present habitual action. That's why many modern Bible versions like the NIV, the ESV, translate it as keeps on sinning. Believers can backslide, we can fall into grievous sin, but God continues to work in the lives of his children to either bring them to repentance, as was in the case, say, Peter, when he denied Christ, or to bring about temporal judgment, which Paul talks about in first Corinthians five. But as John makes clear, as believers, we all do sin, but our lives ought to be characterized by the new life we've received from God. He patiently works in the lives of his children to bring about spiritual growth, or to discipline those who refuse to do so.
S1: All right, let's squeeze one more question in. This one from Jackie, who says, I've heard so many people say the current situation in Israel is actually getting ready for the Gog and Magog war, but Russia is not currently in the mix. Can you give a ballpark timeline of when you see the Gog Magog war happening before or after the rapture?
S2: I see it taking place after the rapture, but in the very first part of the tribulation period. And I really do see God setting the stage right now. You know, Russia is currently occupied in its war with Ukraine, but they're still interested in the Middle East. They have forces stationed in Syria, and they're definitely growing closer to both Iran and Turkey, which are two of Gog's allies mentioned in Ezekiel 38. That's Persia and Togarmah. There. I don't believe it will take very long for all these pieces to come together once the rapture happens, and the Antichrist confirms that covenant with Israel.
S1: And that's a look at some of the questions that have come in to our email inbox, and we'd love to answer your question any old time. You can send that email to us at The Land and the book@moody.edu. The land and the book at Moody Dot. Edu. Well, Charlie Dyer's devotional is next here on the land and the book. Welcome back to the land and the book. I'm John Gager with our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer at segment four. Charlie's devotional. Charlie, if we were to survey every single person listening to us right now about where they read in the Bible today, I'm guessing not a whole lot of them would say, ding ding. Leviticus.
S6: Yeah, you're right John.
S1: I'm guessing, though, that's exactly the anchor point for your devotional today. Tell us more.
S2: It is Leviticus 23 and we're going to be talking about Sukkot as a many splendored thing.
S1: Before we get to that, this Holy Land experience. Listen.
S7: I'm mahnaz and I think what has overwhelmed me has been being in the Judean wilderness. I will never, ever look at the Psalms again, where David says, My God, who is my rock, my fortress, my stronghold. I'll never look at that the same again. It is. It just comes to life. It is overwhelming to think of David wandering through that At wilderness and trusting God and realizing that God was going to deliver him, and also thinking about Naomi and Ruth coming from Moab across the Dead Sea, and just what they had to overcome to go through that wilderness, those mountains, to get to Bethlehem. And thinking about that older Jewish woman who longed for her home so much, leading the younger Gentile woman. And I just think that is what you intended, God, for the Jews to lead the Gentiles to the light of who you are. And I'll never look at that the same again when I read the book of Ruth.
S1: All right. Let's get to Leviticus with your devotional today, Charlie.
S2: Thanks, John. Almost 20 years ago, I took my wife to see Andy Williams in concert for Christmas. Now, I'm not going to say that was a long time ago, but Andy Williams is no longer with us, nor is the concert venue where we went to see him. But it was a good concert and Kathy enjoyed listening to him sing. Many of the old classics, including Love Is a many Splendored Thing from the film by the same name. Now, for some reason, that song brings to mind the celebration of Sukkot taking place right now, except the title needs to be changed to Sukkot is a many Splendored Thing. Now, to understand why, follow me into the wilderness as Moses explains the many splendored aspects of that final festival in Israel's annual cycle. At its inauguration, the festival was designed to point the children of Israel to the past, the present and the future. The festival is first introduced in Exodus 23, even before the plans for the construction of the tabernacle were given in verses 14 and 17, God announces to Israel three times a year you are to celebrate a festival to me three times a year all the men are to appear before the sovereign Lord. The last of the three is described in more detail in verse 16. Celebrate the Feast of Ingathering at the end of the year, when you gather in your crops from the field. Sukkot, the Feast of Tabernacles, is to mark the end of the annual harvest cycle for the nation. Remember, this is before the nation has even reached the Promised Land. Everyone present at Mount Sinai had grown up in Egypt. In fact, later in the book of Deuteronomy, God had to explain the difference between the land of Egypt and the Promised Land. He said, the land you are entering to take over is not like the land of Egypt from which you've come, where you planted your seed and irrigated it by foot, as in a vegetable garden. This new land was dependent on the rain of heaven, rain that God promised to supply if they stayed faithful, and to help them remember, God ordered them to appear before him three times a year at the time of the barley harvest, at the time of the wheat harvest, and in late summer at the end of the harvest season, Sukkot was a reminder of God's faithfulness to Israel and the need for Israel to remain faithful to God. But like a multi-faceted diamond, Southcote sparkled with another of its many splendid purposes, which Moses described in Leviticus 23. After entering the land, Succoth was still to be a time of celebrating the ingathering of the harvest. But now Succoth was also to be a reminder of God's past faithfulness to them during their time in the wilderness. So, beginning with the 15th day of the seventh month, after you've gathered the crops of the land, celebrate the festival of the Lord for seven days, live in booths for seven days. All native born Israelites are to live in booths, so your descendants will know that I had the Israelites live in booths when I brought them out of Egypt. I'm the Lord your God. Why were the Israelites to live in Sukkot or booths for the seven days of the festival? It was to remind them of the booths or tents, or temporary structures the nation had to live in when God brought them out of Egypt and through the wilderness. It was a graphic visual history lesson for the nation, a reminder of how God had taken care of them at a time when they were totally dependent on him for both food and shelter. Sometimes visual lessons can bring history to light in a rather dramatic fashion. When I was ten, I joined the local Boy Scout troop. The Scoutmaster had a great summer project for us. Somehow he had secured old silk parachutes which we were going to fashion into teepees. We cut and sewed together the chutes and constructed the wooden poles to which we secured the fabric. And then we took them down and went for a weekend camp out at Camp Lavigne. The local Boy Scout camp. It was going to be a glorious weekend of camping and cooking out. Unfortunately, it rained Friday night. Let me rephrase that. The sky opened up and we had an old fashioned cloudburst Friday night, and we learned a valuable lesson. There was a reason Indians used buffalo hides and not silk parachutes for their teepees. Parachutes leaked like a sieve. We had to break camp and head home Saturday morning because everything scouts, tents, backpacks, and our food were soaked. That experience with a modern day tent or sukkah has stayed with me for many years. God wanted his people to remember to relive what it was like during the Exodus. It was a crucial life lesson that they needed to reenact annually. Sukkot is a many splendored thing. The festival looked back to the time of the Exodus and the wilderness wanderings, and it was a present reminder of God's faithfulness in meeting their needs throughout the entire harvest season. But there's also a future aspect to this festival. God intended for it to look forward to their fulfillment of his plan for all humanity. God had told Abraham that through him and his descendants, all the world would be blessed, and Sukkot served as a reminder that God's blessing would extend through Israel to the nations. Now, the first hint of this is in Deuteronomy 16, where God once again describes the purpose for Sukkot, the Feast of Tabernacles. He says, Celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles for seven days after you have gathered the produce of your threshing floor and your wine presses. Be joyful at your feast. You, your sons, your daughters, your men's servants and maidservants, and the Levites, the aliens and the fatherless, and the widows who live in your towns for seven days. Celebrate the feast of the Lord your God at the place the Lord will choose. For the Lord your God will bless you in all your harvest, and all the work of your hands, and your joy will be complete. Uh, by the way, the aliens that are mentioned, there aren't extraterrestrial beings. Those are the Gentiles living in Israel. The feast reached out to embrace Israelites and Gentiles alike. The prophet Zechariah looks forward to the Kingdom age when the Messiah will arrive. His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, and the people will look on him whom they have pierced, and turn in faith and repentance. And then in chapter 14 he describes what will follow. Then the survivors from all the nations that have attacked Jerusalem will go up year after year to worship the King, the Lord Almighty, and to celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles. There it is Sukkot, the Feast of Tabernacles, and the ultimate ingathering of the nations joining with the people of Israel to worship the King, the Lord Almighty. Sukkot is indeed a many splendored thing. It helped Israel remember how God had provided for them in the wilderness. It gave them an opportunity to celebrate God's continuing favor in meeting their day to day physical needs. And it looks forward to a day when all nations will gather together with Israel to worship the King of all the earth. So what difference can this make in your life today? Well, I don't think you need to set up a booth or a tent in your backyard. I think there's a more practical application for us today. We're continually bombarded by news articles telling us how awful things are around us. It can discourage us, even cause us to be depressed. But this week, stop looking around and start looking up. Thank God for his blessings to you and his faithfulness and his love. Make a list of the ways God has met your needs and answered your prayers over the past year. Yeah, next month is Thanksgiving. Why not get an early start on that day by focusing on all the ways God has shown himself faithful to you and like Israel. Don't be afraid to include the physical, emotional, spiritual, or financial wilderness experiences you've gone through. Just be sure to look for the ways he has met your needs, comforted you, and surrounded you with his love. And then be sure to thank him for all he has done.
S1: Very, very practical as always. Thank you. Charlie, I like that phrase. Stop looking around and start looking up. You can hear the whole program again at our website, The Land and the book org, and we encourage you to share our podcast with your friends at the land and the book org. That'll do it for our broadcast today. Thank you so much for listening. We invite you back next time for another edition of The Land and the book from Moody Radio. I'm John Yeager for our host, Charlie Dyer. See you next time on the land and the book.