S1: Coming to you from the Morning Star Mission sponsored studio. This is Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: It's Carl and crew helping you take your next step with Jesus. Well, I've got converted to hallmark movies.
S3: Converted? Uh, how long did that take? Yeah, really?
S2: It took a little while. I mean, it took a while for her to get me around the corner. My bride did, though, and now I actually enjoy these things.
S4: Okay, so, um, what's your. Do you have a favorite one? Not that there's there's much difference.
S2: The the beauty with hallmark movies is if you've seen one, you know, the plotline. Yeah. In fact, in the first five minutes, it's a precious movie, so I don't want to denigrate it. In fact, I'm going to use it for launching off to an interview that we have with Erwin Lutzer coming up here. But it's a classic situation. It's it's always a theme where either the girl or the guy. Usually the girl kind of moves back to town.
S4: Oh, yes. Yeah.
S2: And kind of marries high school sweetheart or something like that. She leaves the big hustle and bustle of the city and her architectural firm and all that, and comes back and does the thing. But it's not. What was really cool about this one was I was blown away. The setting is at Grace Community Church in some fictional town somewhere. Huh. That's kind of. Oh, yeah. Scriptures on the wall and everything. And I'm like, for crying out loud, what's going on here? Okay. And the girl that's featured in this movie, it was really done. It's done well, and I'm only halfway through it, but I know how it's going to end, right? Because I've watched hallmark films. So she's. She's a heartbroken girl who's an artist, and she keeps flashing back to the times that for four years of marriage, when she had her man with her and they were doing art and studio in a studio together, and it actually got me choked up at one point. And I'm like, oh, for crying out loud! But she was heartbroken over the loss of her husband, and she started going to a grief recovery group at this Grace Community Church. Are you guys with me on this? This is on like hallmark. So I'm like, I'm blown away by this. But it it led me to a universal conclusion and that is that no one and this is you two this morning, wherever you are, nothing inside us wants to stay stuck experiencing too little. God has put within our beating heart a desire for more. That's why the whole world's on this, on this chase. Either getting platformed or, you know, getting enough money or driving the right car. And the guys commuting in this morning, man, they are driving way too fast.
S4: Well, you think about every sort of product you buy from toothpaste to a new car. The advertisement appeals to your desire.
S2: To.
S4: Have more. Do you want whiter teeth?
S2: By the way, how am I looking?
S4: Good.
S3: Looking good.
S4: Could your smile be brighter?
S2: Could it be brighter? Could the wrinkles go away?
S4: Could your car get better miles.
S3: Per.
S4: Gallon? I mean, everything appeals to your desire. Am I am I getting everything I could out of. Yeah. Fill in the blank.
S2: Yeah. And. And here's the beauty of this. And I want. I want to put a stake in the ground. And I want to put a vision in the air. Hi. For you. Our God is a God of abundance. And you might hear that. And you might think. I don't know if it's for me. Something has you stuck. Something has you held back. And you don't have to go far in the Word of God to find abundance everywhere. And it's not even just in the New covenant of the New Testament. It's throughout the Word of God. The blessing of God is there. Look at the book of Joshua. You meditate on these words day and night you will have success and prosperity wherever you go. Psalm one one through three. Favorite three verses for me in the Psalms. Man, you get away from fools, mockers, scoffers. You meditate on this word and you will have success in fact. Your leaves will never wither. You'll be like a tree planted by streams of water. Your leaves will never wither in all you do. You will prosper. Okay, so you got that. And then you go to John 1010 and you find that he came our Savior to give abundant life. The thief comes to steal and kill and destroy. And by the way, quick curveball here. The thief there is not primarily Satan. It's shepherds that have came before him. Impostors, false prophets, false teachers, religious people that put all kinds of weights on people, but they didn't really want them to have liberty. And then you go to John 15 and you find, wow, Jesus teaching. I'm the vine, you're the branch. If you abide in me, you will bear much fruit. Get this. It's to God's glory that you bear much fruit. And it's easy to get stuck, isn't it, Ali? And to almost forget the promises of God.
S4: Because as much as we look at product commercials and desire more, sometimes we overlook the more that's possible in our spiritual life. Yeah. And we stop even longing for that. Yeah.
S2: I feel prompted out of the blue to pray. I'm going to do it right now. Father, I pray that anyone listening today that feels like they've been in a rut sometimes ten years, 20 years, going through spiritual motions, some some stuck in the pain of loss of a loved one, some heartbroken over a wayward kid. Some are angry, some are wanting some hope somewhere. But Lord, all of us, you've etched in our heart that there is more. And God, I praise you that your word is just replete with evidence that you are a God of abundance. And so, God, we don't want to get all whacked out on some pursuit that's in our own strength, but we really do want to take hold of what you have for us, and we pray it. In the name of Jesus. We pray it. Amen. We're going to have Pastor Lutzer coming up not too long.
S1: This is Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Well, C.S. Lewis said it. It would appear that we've settled for too little. And when we say those words, it's almost hard to get your mind around, because I think most Christ followers would say, oh, I'm wanting too much from God. C.S. Lewis says, no, we've settled for too little. That is irony, but I think he's spot on. Ali.
S4: You know, and you think about it. Yes. How could we ever ask too much of God? That premise doesn't even make sense. But we live like it. Like, somehow we could overextend God.
S2: Yeah, and if you look at the, as C.S. Lewis called it, the unblushing promises of God like abundance, they're everywhere. Pastor Erwin Lutzer, what do you say about the promises of abundance? Have we settled for too little?
S5: Well, you know, as you introduce the subject, I'm reminded of a woman who said to her, pastor, should I just ask God about the big things in my life and not the small things? And the pastor wisely said, you have to understand for God, your big things are very small things.
S2: I love.
S5: It. So yes, of course, oftentimes we are in a situation where we simply don't ask God for enough. But, you know, you think of the abundance of the promises. You think, for example, the words of Jesus in John chapter ten, I am come that they might have life and that they might have it more abundantly. And in that context, what Jesus talks about is being a shepherd and how that his sheep follow him. So we need to enter into these promises, Carl, in such a way that we learn that we can abide in Christ. We can be fruit bearers even in the midst of a desert.
S4: Doctor Erwin Lutzer, our guest right now, pastor emeritus of Moody Church. He's host of Running to Win. Now, as we look at this passage in John ten, there is the contrast between the thief who comes only to steal, kill and destroy, and then the good shepherd who comes that we would have life and have it abundantly. Talk about the set of opposites one takes and one comes to give. Somehow we don't take hold of all that we could.
S5: We don't. And C.S. Lewis, I'm just struck by what you read. He said it's so properly, namely, that we don't expect from God the fulfillment of his promises. You know, since we're talking about the abundant life, I have to tell you that recently I've done a bit of a study on the 17th chapter of Jeremiah. I know that we go from John to Jeremiah, but Jeremiah says this cursed is the man who trusts in man. He shall be like a shrub. And then he says this blessed is the man who is planted by water, for he shall bear fruit in his season. It's almost like Psalm one. But here's the thing if we want to have the abundant life that we're talking about, we need to be planted in the right place where there is water. Not only that, but we have to be planted to the right depth so that we're able to access this water. And then we have to bear the proper fruit. No matter where you look in the Scripture, you have the very same truths over and over again, which we frequently have to hear over and over again. Namely, that we can access available strength from God in the midst of our situation, and we can be like an oasis in the midst of the desert that is around us. And that's, of course, the calling of every believer.
S2: Love it. Doctor Lutzer is our guest right now. Coming up here, pastor, I want us to tackle the definition of abundance. And we go to John 15. We find it's to God's glory that we bear much fruit. I wonder if we even know what that fruit is coming up with. Pastor Lutzer.
S1: She's a choreographer extraordinaire and everything is Greek to her. Super dei is in the crew. It's Colin Crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Doctor Erwin Lutzer is our guest right now, pastor emeritus of Moody Church right here in Chicago and loved across the nation. Running to win is his show that you have a privilege to listen to wherever you are, and we're grateful that you're with us today. Pastor Lutzer I, as a young follower of Jesus, looked at John 15 and I saw a couple of things stood out to me. Apart from him, we can do nothing, but it is to God's glory that we bear much fruit. No apologies necessary, but it's almost like we redefine or need definition of what that fruit is. What do you say?
S5: I want to comment on Hudson Taylor's take on John 15. He said to himself, if I could only abide in Christ, how do I get into him so that I can abide in him? And then suddenly he had this revelation that as a believer, he was already in Christ. He didn't have to worry about how to get into Christ. He was already in Christ. What he had to do is to learn to abide in Christ. And that abiding takes an attitude of total dependence. As you mentioned, without Christ we can do nothing. It takes an attitude of total dependence upon God daily. You know, even as I sit at my computer, as I was doing a few moments ago, I'm continually dependent on God for what I write. And that's the way in which we ought to live in all areas of life. And what is the fruit? Well, the fruit is love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentleness, goodness. And you remember in that passage, Jesus goes from bearing fruit to bearing much fruit for the glory of God. And so what an exciting life. We have resources that we don't access them. And one of the things that we have to do to be able to access them is to deal seriously with those issues that are keeping us from the privilege of abiding, namely, sinful issues. And we need to deal with that ruthlessly. We need to, well, to use an expression, we need to kill sin. I mentioned that because I've recently read the book that you wrote entitled Killing Sin, and you know it is sin that really hinders us from that abiding life. So I say to all those who seem to be in a wilderness today, you can bear fruit where you are. If you access the resources that God has given to us in Jesus Christ.
S2: Amen.
S4: Doctor Erwin Lutzer, our guest right now, you know, for many people listening right now, they've heard that verse. They've maybe taught on that verse if they're in some sort of leadership capacity. But what I feel to ask you is to give an encouragement to those who have grown weary. They've been at it a while, but they're tired. And so the slipping or the drifting that they're encountering, it's not some big major issue. It's that they're tired. Give an encouragement to those who are just tired today.
S5: Yes, I would say rest. The Bible says that we can rest in the Lord. And, you know, to all those tired Christians out there, and we've certainly all been there. What we need to do, like Jesus said to the disciples, you remember, let us go aside for a time in quietness and rest. And you know, there is such a thing as resting in God even when you work. Abiding in Christ, resting in God so that your heart is at peace, even though your body may be hard at work now, all of us fail. We're all on a journey, and so what we have to do is to say we need time for God, but also we need to make sure that our dependence is totally on him. And that, I think, may speak somewhat to the question that you are asking, which of course has been our experience and is our experience even now, as we are inundated with so much to do. But God helps us, and there is a rest for the people of God, and that also is connected with abiding in Christ.
S2: Love it. Pastor, I got one last thought here. In the last few years, the Lord has really impressed upon my heart and I've been been exercising this a bit that the cry of David is one of the great spiritual disciplines that's lost. It's that quiet discipline. I know we can go to Bible reading and study and service and giving and all the other disciplines. Those are really the outflow pastor of this resting. It's that introspection, it's quietness before God. Just speak to that for a moment. It feels like it's a lost discipline to even be quiet and rest before the Lord.
S5: Yes. And of course, with social media and a thousand other things that impinge upon us, we are really driven by other forces. Unless we consciously take time to rest in the Lord and to refresh ourselves in him. You know, everybody knows the life of Mueller in England, who began so many different orphanages just by prayer. But you know what he said the chief responsibility of the Christian is, he said, the first responsibility of the Christian is to find happiness in God. So he said he began every morning reading, meditating, praying, and would not leave until his soul was happy in God. And that's the way he approached his day. Is it any wonder that he opened so many different orphanages and had such a great ministry?
S2: That is powerful.
S4: Doctor Erwin Lutzer, thank you so much for being with us this morning. Always appreciate your time and your wisdom.
S1: Your shot of hope to help you through the day. This is Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Well, if you look at the scriptures, guys, they are loaded with promises, are they not?
S4: Absolutely, yes.
S2: Chuck, from.
S6: Start to finish.
S2: From start to finish. Tears wiped away. Rev 21. I mean, then you go backwards. It's kind of like a pert chart. You know what, a pert chart. Anyone know what a pert chart is?
S6: I have no idea what that is.
S2: Pert pert p e pert chart.
S4: No.
S2: Okay. All right. There's a couple of. There's a couple of us old senior guys out there. Know what a pert charge chart is? A cool way of organizing any kind of planning you're doing. You begin with the end in mind. So you paint a vision for this is what we want to have happen. And then you work backwards from there. In a lot of planning you start at this front. You go forward. But a Pert chart actually the scriptures a Pert chart. You go to revelation, you look at that and you go, whoa, look at what we're destined for here. This is cool. And then you back up. And in true form, it's just dawning on me whether you go to the epistles or then you go to the Gospels. Well, let's not miss the book of acts in the core theology of Romans. But then you go to the Gospels, then you go to the prophets, minor and major, and then you back up from there, and you start seeing narrative of the way God worked in the nation of Israel and great stories of great women of faith, great men of faith. All you see are all these people through history in time, journeying toward this great thing. And I think sometimes we banked on this great thing that's coming, you know, and we call it heaven, or I love to call it what it is, the New Jerusalem. And that's going to be an incredible day. But what about today? I mean, isn't that the point? What about today?
S6: Yeah. Our our God says he is present in all of it. So we can't just say, okay, I'm saved, I'm good. I wait till heaven. Everything around here is kind of unchanged and the way it is. No. God wants to change your today.
S2: Yeah. This. Get your ticket. Fire insurance as some call it. I never did enjoy that term. No, because I'm convinced of this too. And we're going to be dealing with this next week. This fire insurance. Christianity is no Christianity at all. No. In fact, I don't know. I leave some room for the fact that God can, in fact, use the fear of the future to regenerate hearts. But by and large, people are broken over their sin, not the prospect of horrible things to come. That's how God calls us. But once we're called out of darkness into light, we light. We got this golden opportunity to lean into a relationship with God that takes hold of promises that are just flat out amazing. And I think if there's one thing that we'd love for you to get today is a greater vision of look what God has for me and not settle for too little.
S4: What do you think causes us to settle for too little? I mean, because we've all done it from time to time.
S2: It's a great question. I think there's a couple of things, Ali. I think that there's we're functional atheists, so we do get a kind of a basic idea of that God loves us and he's got good things for us, but we need to get the Word of God opened and get a visual heart picture of what that is that God has for us. We've already hit him today. This I came to give you life and life more abundant. Guys, we got to get that life. Zoe Greek word for abundance. I came to give you life and life more abundant. It goes into John 15. I'm the vine. You're the branch. You abide in me. You will bear much fruit. Ready for this? It's to my father's glory that you bear much fruit.
S4: So if you reverse that, then a lack of abiding, a lack of being in the word.
S2: I think a lack of being in the word and knowing those promises is one. And then the the. We're in a constant spiritual war. Satan's trying to kick us in the teeth and drag us into the mud of not believing those things. Right, guys? Every day, every day, there's a classic quote and I got to read this to you. This is maybe one of my most people, I think, that have read C.S. Lewis would say this is their quote. In fact, can you take it away, Ali? I might get too emotional here.
S4: It says if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum, because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.
S2: Boom!
S4: Wow!
S2: Is that rock? Anyone else?
S4: Far too easily pleased. We're satisfied with too little mud pies.
S2: Normal's not enough guys. That's the point. If we look at the landscape of Christianity, especially here in the West, all we have to do is look around and go. Hold it a second here. There's a whole lot of people going to church, but is the quality of their life taken hold of the promises of God, or are we doing mud pies? How do you call it? Mud pies in a slum?
S4: Mud pies in a slum?
S2: Are we really taking hold of what God has for us? And here's the kicker. I want you to know this. Some of you are held back from what God has for you. Because there's some deep pain in your life, a betrayal, loss. You got a wayward kid that's just kicking you in the teeth. It just breaks your heart. You ever notice that things like that can actually hold you back?
S4: Very much so.
S2: For some of you, you've let some stuff settle into the shadows of your life, and you're getting kicked in the soul, man. Satan's got you. He dangled the bait, and now he's beating the snot out of you. Pornography. Gossip. Anger. Self-righteousness. Lack of good time. Redemption. Not saying that to beat anyone up. Sometimes you got to identify those things so that we can deal with them by the grace and power of God, and go get some promises that he has for us. Man, we want you to win, don't we, Ellie? Yeah.
S4: Yeah.
S2: We want it for us. We want it for you. We are far too easily pleased. Do you believe? That's right.
S4: Yes.
S2: It's true, isn't it?
S6: Yeah. It's why we can, you know. And I speak as one who does this, too. Sometimes it's it's why we can sit down in front of a TV for five hours and let time go by because we're we're too pleased with the things that really don't do it for us.
S2: Yeah. And the interesting thing is, it's not necessarily a five hour.
S6: Netflix doesn't have to be.
S2: It could be a one hour.
S6: Could be.
S2: Because it can that one hour that God says, I want to redeem this in a better way.
S6: Yeah. And we say, no, I'm good with this.
S2: Or we sit in the pain of that loss that we have, and we sit there and it's like the hallmark film that I'm halfway through with my bride, the girls, and she's wrestling so well because she's wrestling with the loss of a husband and my heart. I'm getting wrapped up and I know how the hallmark films going to end, because it always.
S4: Ends the same way.
S2: It always ends the same way. The guy that showed up in the first five minutes, I knew, I said, there's the guy that's going to fill the void down the road here.
S7: That's so good.
S2: But God has so much more.
S7: Amen.
S2: And sometimes it's right under our nose. I want to tell you about that coming up here. Sometimes it's right under our nose. It can be the word of God. It can be the promises of God that just need to be peeled back a little bit to see what he has for you. We're going to paint a picture coming up.
S1: He was sharing the gospel on the radio and then he got saved. Young thunders in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Sometimes we find ourselves dancing on the grave that we once lived in, celebrating. And it's right. The victory over sin and death, which is powerful. But there is there more. That's really the question.
S4: And there's the kind of a hard wired desire to you think you think about some of the existential questions of life. One of the big ones is, is there more?
S2: Is there more? And everybody's asking, is.
S4: This, is this it? There's got to be more.
S2: Every flick, every movie, every product sold, every fill in the blank is cast in a vision for something more.
S4: That there has to be more than what I'm currently experiencing.
S2: Sometimes it's right there and we just got to see it. So I got to take you to Alaska. I'm a little kid. I was born in Homer, Alaska, raised in Anchorage, Alaska. Even ran a thing called the Iditarod Trail Race when I was 18 years old. If you've ever heard of the Iditarod. Crazy people do that who have a lapse of judgment for long enough to get a dog team together and then compete in this crazy thing. But when I was a young man, I was an outdoorsy guy, and I ran with guys that were outdoorsy guy. If you're not outdoorsy in Alaska.
S4: You say, is anyone in Alaska not.
S2: You're in the wrong place. So we went up to Mount McKinley or Mount Denali, however you call it now. And we went. Not with the intention of climbing that thing. I've got a few friends that have summited Mount McKinley. I never have, but to just get up there and do some camping. And I was young. How how old was I? Probably 11. 12 years old. Something like that. Pretty young.
S7: What grade?
S2: What grade in school is that?
S7: Sixth grade. Sixth grade.
S2: Yeah. So needless to say, we didn't drive. Somebody drove for us. No, we were with we were with a couple of, uh, couple of men. One was my buddy Calvin and his dad and a couple other guys, and we just took our fly fishing rods and our spin cast rods and all of our gear, and we drove off the highway into the park all the way to Wonder Lake and Wonder Lakes, the last campground nearest to Mount McKinley. Now, guys, I gotta tell you something. Mount McKinley is unbelievable. I mean, it's it's such a big mountain. It creates its own storms.
S7: That's wild. Crazy.
S2: It's just behemoth 20 plus thousand feet. So we're fishing at Wonder Lake, and we're, you know, we're doing a little bit of catch and release, but not much. And so what are a couple of young kids to do? We take off and we said we looked at each other. Cal looked at me. He says, Carl, let's go. Let's go explore, see if we can find some rivers out there. Now, I don't advise this. If you go camp at Wonder Lake, don't do this because there's a lot of bears out there. And we weren't packing a gun or anything. We didn't even have bear spray. So we're walking through this tall grass. Now imagine this. It's like 830 in the morning. The sun is coming up. It's coming up over Mount McKinley, and we're walking through this tall grass and we're making noise. Hey! Singing, whacking whatever we.
S7: Can to keep the bears away.
S2: Keeping the bears away. And they don't want to attack you. But you don't want to stumble up on a cub that's sleeping. And because mama's going to be happy.
S7: Very unhappy with Mama Bear, for sure.
S2: So we're whacking away at this thing, and we're walking and walking and walking toward the base of Mount McKinley. You feel that with me? Oh, I'm feeling it myself. I remember it like yesterday and I'm making a step and instinctively I'm like, whoa! And here's this creek in the middle of this huge prairie at the base of Mount McKinley. And I'm like, wow, there's a creek here. And you couldn't even see it because the grass was growing up now, and it's so tall, it's starting to lay down over the creek. So we start pulling the grass back, and we're kneeling down beside this creek. And, guys, it is crystal clear about a foot and a half, two feet wide, cut out of bedrock, about six, eight feet deep. And I mean pristine clear water. And I look at Cal, I said, Cal, there might be some grayling in here. Grayling are kind of a variation of a trout. They got a big, tall dorsal fin. They're beautiful fish. So I pull out a fly, a dry fly and I tie that thing on. And how are you supposed to fly fish in a stream that's a foot and a half wide? You don't stand back 20ft and try to drop it on the.
S6: No, not so much.
S2: You know what.
S7: You.
S2: Do when you're a little kid. You straddle the stream. You got one foot on one side and one on the other. So we're standing there with our legs split wide. And I dropped this dry fly on this creek. Pick it up. Drop it again. Pick it up. Drop it again. Bam! Out from the shadows in this little clear creek comes this huge grayling. And grayling don't get big. So I'm not talking something that could eat you I'm talking something like pan fry, like ten, 12in long. But it was a good sized grayling. We had the best time. We did catch and release for probably an hour and a half. And we're just catching these grayling, taking those little flies out, releasing them back into the river or creek. It's not a river. It's just barely bubbling down the down the stream. And we're. And then Cal man he'd get one on and man, we're cheering together. This is great. We're far enough away from camp. They can't hear us. But all the bears within the county. They heard.
S7: Us.
S2: So they're all away. It came time to head back to Wonder Lake, to the camp and we turned, got our tackle boxes, got our stuff together, and I got my fly rod. And I turned to head back and I stopped and I could cry thinking about it. I looked down, not to many ten, 11, 12 year olds are this aware, and I certainly wasn't, except that God made himself so clear to me. I said, Cal, come here. He said, what's going on? I said, kneel down here on this side of the creek with me and guys in that little foot and a half to two foot stream on that pristine, clear, ice cold water, absolutely smooth water was a reflection of 20 plus thousand feet of Mount McKinley reflected back to us.
S7: How beautiful!
S2: I said, look at that, Cal. He said, Carl, that's amazing.
S7: Huh? Wow.
S2: The promises of God. If you stop to kneel, ponder and consider are so robust, so huge, so powerful, so mighty. And I want you to stop today. And don't be in a hurry. Going through the thickets of life, fending off the brown bears around you, so to speak, that you miss the grandeur, the the hugeness. Can I make up words here? The the bigness of God.
S8: Because he's here.
S2: And that God loves.
S8: You.
S2: He loves.
S8: You.
S2: Don't be too easily pleased. Stop and consider the goodness and the greatness of God. He wants to meet you. He wants to minister to you. He wants to heal you. And he wants you to walk places you haven't believed him for. And he wants that begin afresh today.
S1: You're listening to curl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Unspoken. What he says about you. It's everything, guys. Matter of fact, I'm wondering if we ought to do it. I wonder if we ought to give that truth. Blog. Hang on here a second. It's Carl and crew helping you take your next step with Jesus. Let me paint a picture for you, and then we're going to go back to this. Why? What God says about you is so important. Your spiritual identity. I'm talking. This is top shelf. Got to have it. We're too low shelf. When we think in terms of the spiritual life and vitality, and how are we going to take hold of all that God has for us? You know, if I could put our morning show into a creed, if I could just bang, just kind of whittled it down. Because when we talk about helping you take your next step with Jesus, we got to take a we got to get a snapshot of where in the world are we going? So we're taking our next step to where. Sure. So I would say the gospel is this come as you are and experience him. Anyone glad that we don't have to get all cleaned up? Scrubbed up?
S6: I'd never get there if I had to get cleaned up first.
S2: Anyone glad for for God calling tax collectors and sinners and.
S9: Amen and amen.
S7: Yeah.
S2: And I mean the woman at the well who was absolutely ostracized from the community. Anyone else glad that God calls the people that don't have their act together.
S7: The outcast.
S2: Woo! We got four of us in here saying that. Super die. Are you glad for that, grace?
S7: Beyond glad. Gracious.
S9: I'm just grateful and grateful.
S2: Just doing a spot.
S7: Check.
S2: Here. Young Thunder, are you glad for that?
S6: You know, I think I'm pretty glad about that. Yeah, I'm one of them, so I probably should be pretty glad.
S2: And, Ali, I know she's glad. We're all glad that God just called us out of this mess as we are. So come as you are. Experience God. Overcome what seems impossible. Do you believe it?
S7: Yes, yes.
S6: I've seen it.
S2: But do we believe it? I mean, sometimes we get weak in the knees.
S6: That is true. That is true. And it's funny because, like I said, I've experienced the impossible being done in my life. But there are some times where maybe it's a couple years down the road and a new, quote unquote impossible comes into my life. And I go, yeah, I don't know about that one. And it's it's a need to be reminded again and again that our God is powerful enough to take care of every impossible. Not just this one over here or that one over there.
S2: All right, be cogitating on it. Some of one person here has an impossible thing that God's grace and power got you past. But let's talk about those impossible things. What are they? While someone is being prompted of the spirit. And I know he's working in your heart here, but what are those impossible things that we face in life that we go, man, I don't know if God can overcome that.
S4: I mean, a lot of times it's some sort of diagnosis.
S7: A diagnosis.
S4: Challenge.
S2: It's a big.
S7: Deal.
S4: Addiction crisis.
S2: Addiction, huge.
S4: Wayward kid.
S2: Wayward kid. Huge.
S6: Maybe it's not an addiction, but it's something as simple as gossiping. You know, a sin struggle that that feels like, oh, that's been there forever. I don't I don't know if I can resist that urge.
S2: Somebody saying, well, you could have left that one alone. Young thunder, super die. What do you.
S7: Say? I say just past trauma.
S9: Childhood trauma that even carries into adulthood.
S2: Betrayal in adulthood.
S9: Big time.
S7: Yeah.
S9: Big time.
S6: I'll tell you what God has done in my life. The impossible. One of the many impossible things he's overcome for me is before Christ. I was a liar. I was really good at it, too. Uh.
S2: Which is? Hold on. Time out.
S7: So.
S2: Bulletin. Bulletin here. Young Thunder cannot. He dragged me out. Do you remember last week when he comes in and says. I need to talk to you? Do you remember that when he came.
S7: In.
S2: Here? So we go marching out. Walk around the corner into the call screener room, and he sits down and he goes, I got something to tell you. And it's like, all right, bro, you're okay.
S7: I mean.
S2: If Young Thunder hints at maybe I kind of shaded the truth, it's like, shut her down. We got to get this cleared out. Anyway, you had a you were really good at lying.
S6: Yeah, I was really good at lying. I was I was born into a Christian home, but I was living a double life, so I was really good at looking like a Christian to people who went to church. And I was really good at not looking like a Christian to people that didn't and did it did.
S2: Exhausting living that.
S6: Way. No it didn't.
S2: You had it mastered.
S6: I had it mastered. I mean, it didn't. It really didn't bother me at all. Yeah. There were some times where I felt some anxiousness that I might get caught, but I never felt bad about what I did or what I said because I was like, well, this is what I have to say to get what I want. And so it didn't matter to me. There was no consciousness objection to what I was doing. But through the power of Christ and being saved by him, Carl is correct. When I cannot tell a lie, it it bothers me to my core.
S7: Wow.
S6: And and I have to make it right if I. If I have done it, if I say something that maybe I've extended the truth a little bit or I exaggerated something, I usually end up coming back and going, okay, hey, you know what? I said this. That wasn't quite accurate. I want to adjust that a little bit because God's done that in me, and through his grace I don't lie anymore.
S2: All right, I gotta double down on this. I got a buddy of mine that was overcoming constant stretching stories, not fabricating a lot, but just embellishing.
S7: Just embellishing stories.
S2: Sure, it's the constant. It's the proverbial. The fish was this big story. Um, so he was so convicted that he's asking the Lord what to do in the Spirit of God. He felt just told him, you got to start confessing this the minute you do it. So he was in one meeting with a group of guys, like a business meeting. And this is at his workplace, and he walks out of the meeting. Spirit of God says, yeah, you were totally stretching the truth there, man. He's like, oh, man. Turns around, walks back in and says, hey, guys, I just need to say something I was just telling you about. I forget what the issue was. I was telling you about this issue and I just need you to know something. I stretched the truth and I never want to do that again. So here's the truth about the situation. I said, what was the room like? He said, Stone quiet.
S7: Don't even know. Stone quiet.
S2: And here's why. There's a few other stretchers.
S7: In the room. Yeah, sure.
S2: So come as you are, experienced guy, to overcome what seems impossible. Can God overcome the impossible? Yes, yes he can. And by the way, what do we have to do with that?
S6: Nothing.
S2: Nothing.
S9: Not a thing.
S2: Apart from him. We can do.
S7: Nothing.
S2: And then live as we never imagined. We want that for you. God wants that for you. If you consider what God says in Scripture over and over again, I mean, it's just vision after vision for let's go live this way. And that's a beautiful thing coming up here. We're going to anchor it in Scripture, and we're even in this hour, we're going to have Rob West here. And if you don't know Rob West, he's going to help us identify things that can hold us back.
S6: Yeah, he's really good at that one.
S7: Very good.
S2: One. Big one in particular. We're going to break it down.
S4: We're also going to give you that resource. Oh you mentioned.
S7: It.
S2: All right.
S7: We got a resource coming up.
S2: Yep. Hang on. We'll give it to you.
S1: A basketball mom who's mastered the dad joke Ali is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: We made a promise early on here, and we want to fulfill this. But before we give this link. And by the way, one of the things that we love to do here you are, the boom crew. This is Carl and crew. You're the boom crew, meaning this is your show. And we do everything we can to help encourage you in your walk with Jesus Christ. Now we see a lot of people surrender to Christ here on this program, which is awesome, by the way, a cool little stat you need as you're going through your life today. You ready for this? Estimates are over 30% of the people listening to this show at any time are in the shadows spiritually. They don't know and experience the love and the grace and the power of Jesus Christ. Meaning they're not yet born again, but in the last, I don't know. I'm trying to get the numbers right here. I don't want to be the bigger fish guy.
S7: Sure.
S2: So I would say, realistically, in the last four years we've seen, well, we know thousands of people have surrendered to Jesus Christ, and probably now upwards of 4 or 5000 people. Big numbers of folks have surrendered to Christ here in the last number of years, which is awesome. And we give links out to people who surrender to Christ. And it's one of the most awesome things, because then we find out six months later, two years later, five years later, we get stories back going, God called me out of darkness during the morning show.
S7: Yeah.
S2: Which is so awesome. But that's not it alone. Because once you've been born again, now you're on this journey. And I tell people all the time, when God calls you out of darkness into the light, There's a whole new fight coming your way, and it's big. And one of the ways that we want to help you is give you links to resources that are going to anchor you in truths that it's like, man, I got to hold on to that. Boy, have we got one for you now.
S4: It's our truth blog. This is one of our most popular resources and it is just right from the Word of God bullet points. Who are you in Christ? What is the Word of God say about you? I am loved as much as anyone has ever been loved. I repeat that so many times. Do you to my son, usually before bed. And he's like, is that from that thing that Carl wrote?
S7: Tell him it's from the Bible, the Word of God. But yes, it's.
S4: From that resource. He actually asks, are we doing that? Yep, we're doing it again. If you want this resource, read it over your kids. They'll love it. They'll start to repeat it themselves. Just text the word truth to 800 555 7898. Print it out. Do whatever you need to do. Post it on the refrigerator. Text truth to 800 555 7898.
S2: You never outgrow your need for it, and even sometimes authors need to reread their material.
S7: Oh boy.
S2: Do you know how many times I've had to go back to this? Go! All right. Boom! Anchored. Yes. I've been. I've been called out of darkness into the light. Made with the purpose to glorify God. Nothing can separate me from the love of God. Boom boom boom boom boom. So I'm telling you, grab this. I think I put at the bottom of this blog. An exercise. Is this the 121 days?
S7: Yes.
S2: Morning and.
S7: Evening.
S4: Two times a day for 21 days. And see what happens. Watch what will happen in your life.
S7: Yeah.
S2: Just grab it. Just text the word truth to 855 five, 78, 98. Wherever you are. Text truth to 855 five, 78, 98. We'll shoot this right out to you. Hang on.
S1: You can take him out of Alaska, But you can't take Alaska out of him. Carl is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Okay, here's the reality. When we are radically transformed by Jesus, and I like to use those descriptive words because nothing less than radical will do when it comes to being born again. You move from darkness to light. You're born with your back to God. He turns you around. This isn't about going to church. This is. This is not about going to church, man. Next week we're going to just hammer down on Matthew seven, Matthew 13, Matthew 25. We're going to see over and over again in Scripture this great hallucination of salvation. There are so many in the United States of America. Canada, beyond this Western world, is plagued with this great deception, thinking that spiritual activity equals spiritual new birth. And it doesn't, but I digress. We're going to get into that next week, and we're going to unpack it left and right and forward. but on this journey of faith that God calls us into, he casts before us this vision over and over again. I'm so grateful to God. It's my to my glory that you bear much fruit. John 15. It's you. Go to Matthew 13. Let me just go there. Parable of the four soils. You got hardpan soil, and Satan comes and grabs that seed, takes it away. You got a heart that receives that truth with joy and boom goes up for a little bit, and then boom, a little bit of opposition. Persecution comes. Falls over. Then you got another one growing in the thicket of thorny ground. The worries of this world, deceitfulness of wealth, desire for other things, make it unfruitful. And you could get discouraged. Except for here comes the roundhouse from Jesus. And he says, but some falls on these heart conditions that produce a crop ready for this 30, 60, 100 fold. Now, if you look at the promises of God. I miss C.S. Lewis. It would seem that we're far too easily pleased. But then the question is, is it that we're just too easily pleased, or that we're deceived, or that something's gotten in the way? Or all the above.
S4: All the above? I think at different times.
S2: What gets in the way, guys? What are some of the things that get in the way? And I don't want you to go where Rob West is going to go, because we're going to take him there in a moment here in this next half hour. But let's just let's just get after it. By the way, if you got some feedback here, let's go. If you got some thoughts 800, 555, 78, 98 just text us. What impedes our ability to journey on and take hold of all of God's promises? 855 five 7898. You can text us. We can't read them all all the time, but we'll get as many as we can.
S4: You know, I think for me, it's sometimes looking too much at myself and not enough at God. And what those promises are, because I get sometimes I get so frustrated with myself, I feel like I should be further along by now. I shouldn't have this struggle anymore, and I can get so defeated in my spirit of feeling like that. Not that I can share, but just like feeling like I want to be better than I am, like I don't, I want to be better, I want to be better than I am. And I think that that can keep you kind of stuck.
S7: Yeah.
S4: Because you're like, you see this gap and you're like, oh, instead of looking at God, I'm looking at me.
S2: Yeah, yeah, a lot of us feel that way. The question is, are you willing to look at it and go, okay, two things exist. This thing in me is not glorifying God, and it's impeding my growth. And yet, rather than fixating on that thing that's impeding my growth, let's go for it with God.
S6: Yeah. I think something that I see in today's culture a lot, and it's so easy to fall into for every single one of us, myself included. Is is just distraction falling into distraction through specifically entertainment. You know, our living rooms are centered around and and kind of arch around the TV. I think everybody's living room does, or at least 99% funny.
S2: Yeah. It's like we've got our our own personal Molek or Baal right there.
S7: And by the way.
S2: I'm not that crazy.
S7: A.
S6: Guy. Oh, of course.
S2: Because there's great stuff to consume. But you're right.
S6: Yeah. And so I think that just like we center our living rooms around it, sometimes we center our lives around it, and we get so focused on on what we can be distracted with because it's fun and it feels good. But when we allow ourselves to be distracted to the point where we're missing out on what God has for us, then we fall into a bigger problem.
S2: Isn't it interesting how good things can become idols, and then they get in the way of God.
S7: Yeah.
S2: I mean, one of the greatest gifts that I have in my life is my bride. I've been married to her for a few decades, and she's an incredible gift. But two things can happen. I'm going to talk to you men right now. God can give you this incredible gift. And men are great hunters. We know what to say when we're dating, man. We're great at that. We know how to woo them. We know how to find a bouquet of flowers at a grocery store. And put some baby's breath in there and wrap it up with some cellophane. But sometimes we can go down this path and we can forget what an incredible blessing this person is. And believe it or not, presumption that, hey, she's been there. She's done that without looking back and going, boy, look at, look at the advantage I have in my life because of my bride. My bride has been my greatest life coach. Period. Full stop. My bride does not. What's the old term give you? Quarter or let's just be real. She didn't let me up for air. If she sees something in my life that needs to change, she'll flat call it out. And I've had to constantly come back to an appreciation for that because I've often thought, man, Lord, I've got one. Holy spirit, do I need another? But when the Lord works through my bride, it's a beautiful thing. But one of the things we can do is begin to neglect or ignore the people that God has in our life. We can forget how beautiful it is that God's brought people in our life that love us enough to tell us the truth. We can get resentful and pretty quick. There's barriers to our forward growth with God. I've never known growth with God. That wasn't difficult.
S4: Well, because growth usually happens when there's challenge.
S2: It's a fire man. It's a furnace. It gets hot. Do I like it when my wife confronts me and my bride was telling someone the other day goes, oh my, my my, my. She calls me bub and I call her bub. Receives what I say to him so well, I go, no, I don't.
S7: Come on, let's be real here.
S2: Because here's classic Carl and I'm going to be shoot it to you straight. She'll say something to me now, outwardly, in my first years of marriage, I would kind of resist. Now, inwardly, I resist. And it's like. And I'm wrestling. You know what I'm talking about.
S7: I'm wrestling.
S2: It's like, God, what about her?
S7: What about.
S2: Her? And then the Lord, by his grace, calms me a little bit. And boom! If by his grace I can own what she's said to me, I'm a winner for it. So what gets in the way and impedes our ability to really grow and go with God? What impedes our ability to really take hold of God's promises. Don't settle for too little today. Bust through those barriers.
S1: He's a sports fanatic with a stat for anything you can think of. Young Thunder is in the crew, its curling crew on Moody Radio.
S2: So I went to a go kart track back in the day.
S6: I don't know if I could imagine you at a go kart track.
S2: Oh, yeah, you can.
S6: I guess.
S2: So. Can't you? Yeah, I was crazy. Go kart.
S9: I see that totally.
S2: And up in up in Alaska, where I was raised and lived. Born in Homer, raised in Anchorage, lived in Alaska, did a lot of Alaska stuff. We had great go karts. They were like, no regulations on the go karts. Oh, boy. Oh, yeah. Yeah. Down. Just went down here in the what we call the lower 48. A lot of regulations.
S4: Some for good reason.
S2: Well, yeah. Not good enough for us when we were kids.
S6: One of my least favorite things about go karts that they do is that they can slow you down from, like, a computer on the side.
S2: Most frustrating thing.
S6: And I'm like, I just got going, dude. Wait, let me keep going. Yeah, they.
S2: Can put a governor on you. So in which thwarts the ultimate purpose, which is to whack your friends so hard it puts him into a tailspin. Okay, so we're we're out there, and we get, get down to this go kart place. And I mean it. It's not anything like these go kart places nowadays that are indoors and well kept and everything, and even the outdoor ones are pristine. Ours look like it was something out of, I don't know who knows what. It was just. It was just. It was just a bumpy road and a bunch of guys out there that are spitting Copenhagen all over the ground that are firing up those go karts. They got grease all over their pants.
S10: They're like, I sit in there.
S2: But I loved it. We we'd get off work and we'd go down there and bam, we'd nail it and we'd get these coupons where you like, you get ten rides at a go and we'd go ten rounds. But, I mean, we're blasting one another, like almost causing injury.
S11: Oh, yeah. No joke.
S6: Well, that's why they have those governors now to slow you down so you don't do that.
S2: So go down there and walk away with my friends. We go down the road to get some pizza, and I reach for my wallet and it is gone.
S4: Uh oh.
S2: And guys, this is I'm old enough to remember when money didn't get transferred into accounts. It got. It was given to you in a cheque. Do you know what those are, young Thunder? Yes a.
S11: Cheque. Yeah. I used to check that.
S2: You go cash at a.
S11: Bank. Yeah, I used to. Okay. I'm just making.
S2: Sure you got it. I mean, he's young, so I call him Young Thunder. Um, so. Yeah, I go cash this thing. Guys, I have $420 cash in my wallet. Now it is.
S4: Gone. Oh, no.
S6: Oh that's horrible.
S2: I go, I'm panicked, man. I go back to the track and I'm scouring around and I'm yelling at the guys and going, guys in that car right over there and and, well, wouldn't you know what happened? One of my Copenhagen spitting pit crew buddies that worked there. I don't know who got it and I couldn't pin it on anyone, sure, but they saw it and they grabbed it. And I just said to him, look, if you have it handed in anywhere, you know, if you could reach out to me, I'd give him a home telephone number. But I knew that was never going to ring. And it was. My heart sank. Guys, that was all my cash. 400 plus.
S11: Dollars.
S6: Yeah, for a couple of weeks now. It's gone.
S2: Well, I think that was a week. Yeah, yeah, or something like that. But it was gone. And I was heartsick and I was broken about it. Now there's some realism in that. That is you got to pay for some other stuff, right. But it's amazing how money can become such a focal point that you don't even have to lose a big sum to be fixated on it.
S4: Oh, yeah. I mean, you think about the the amount of things that people do that are solely motivated by money?
S2: Yeah, and money is a great resource, but it makes a horrible God. It never works. It's bad to bow down to. And the question is, how do you take this resource called money and not let it consume you?
S4: That's the question is you whether you have a lot or a little. That desire, it's the desire in the driver of money that can become problematic.
S2: Yeah, man, even you can have a great budget and it can get out of whack. Rob West coming up. He'll get us straightened out.
S1: Romans eight brought her to Jesus while broadcasting traffic overnight. Super die is in the crew. It's curl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: By the way, have you seen the Faith fi app?
S6: This is awesome.
S2: The Faith fi app is the bomb.
S4: Do people still say that?
S6: I think so.
S2: I heard it yesterday.
S12: Carl just did.
S2: Of course, the guy was 82. Actually. No joking. I heard a message yesterday and the pastor said, that's the bomb. And. And I'm right. He was in he's in his 70s. Okay. So to be fair, Ali, what is the new hip bomb?
S4: I'm trying to think. Um.
S6: That's bussin.
S2: Bussin? That's old, isn't it?
S12: Is that old.
S9: Stigma?
S4: I hear a lot of words that my 15 year old and 12 year old use, and I don't understand a lot of them. I know that if you say something is no cap, you're questioning whether or not someone's telling the truth, right? If something's mid.
S12: It's a it's mediocre.
S4: Mediocre.
S2: But here's here's what's really cool. The word cool is still used everywhere.
S12: Cool is cool.
S2: Thank the Lord some things stick around. Rob West money is a great thing, but it is a battle to keep it from becoming a God, isn't it, my man?
S13: Oh, it is such a battle. Listen to what Paul David Tripp says. He says money is one of God's good creations. But this good thing becomes a bad thing for you when it becomes a ruling thing. And I think that's what we all encounter. Talked about the parable of the sower. We don't want to be the third soil people. Right. The weeds come in and choke out that 3060 hundredfold return. And then later the 12 are asking him, can you explain that? And he says, all right, here we go. So it's the what were they?
S2: There were worries of this world, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desire for other things, which all three can be related to money.
S13: Yeah. I mean, I don't want to embellish maybe two and a half, but. Okay. You know, but yeah.
S2: I.
S13: Mean, that's the point, you know, and and what we have to understand is that this thing can compete. It's it's going to be a rival for our hearts. Uh, the late Tim Keller, in his book Counterfeit Gods, he said the most common counterfeit god is money. He said, I've had every sin confessed in my office, save one. It was the sin of greed. And that's where we find ourselves. And it gets even more challenging when we have an abundance, when we have a lot of it. Here's what C.S. Lewis said. One of the dangers of having a lot of money is that you may be quite satisfied with the kinds of happiness money can give, and so fail to realize your need for God. If everything seems to come simply by signing checks, you may forget that you are at every moment totally dependent on God. And that's the truth.
S12: Wow.
S4: Wow. Rob West, our guest right now, host of the nationally syndicated program Faith and Finance Live Money can absolutely tell us to our need for God. But you can't live life without money. You can't.
S2: It's impossible.
S4: It's absolutely.
S2: You know what? Here's the problem with money, Rob. It's kind of like food. So I've got friends that have challenges with food. And you know what? A couple of them said I got to eat. I don't, you know, that's my problem is I have to eat and we have to have some kind of currency. So how do you how do you slay this thing so that it doesn't slay you? Rob. Yeah.
S13: So it starts with an understanding that God owns it all. You and I are money managers for the King of Kings. That is a high calling. And so then we have to accept our role not as owners, but as managers, as stewards. We translate that word in the New Testament Oikonomos household manager. So we're walking into the home. Everything we see, we know it's not ours, it's his. And so our task is to be found faithful in managing the King's resources. So we have to know the king's heart. So we got to get into God's Word. And we realize that money is a good gift for us to give and even to enjoy. I think God smiles when we use money as a tool in a joyful celebration. Yes, but it's also to invest. But here's the other big idea is a rival for our hearts. It is dangerous and so we've got to put it in its proper place. God is our ultimate treasure. Money is a tool to accomplish God's purposes, and when we live within it, we save it appropriately. We hold it loosely. We give it generously. All of a sudden, it becomes a powerful force for good in our lives and the lives of others. But it's not easy.
S4: Rob West, our guest right now. Coming up, let's talk about what are the warning signs that money is not a tool.
S12: Anymore.
S4: But something maybe that's starting to rule me again. More coming up here on Carl and crew.
S1: She was trying to earn her way to God, but God showed her she didn't have to. Ali is in the crew. It's Carl and crew on Moody Radio.
S2: Sometimes you got to get out of the car, go around to the front and get that thing that's in the road that's impeding your ability to go forward without destroying your car and get it out of the road.
S12: Yes.
S2: Well guess what? As we journey down this road of faith, man, there's things that can get in the way. And what's wild is money can move from a great resource to a molek. A Baal, a god that gets in the way. Isn't that weird? Because one moment it's a resource. We know it's from God. Next moment, about a bang, we're getting wiped out by it.
S4: Rob West, our guest right now, host of Faith and Finance live. So how can you what are some warning signs, some indicators that maybe money has slipped out of its proper place in your life?
S13: I think one of the big ones is just a lack of margin. And, you know, interestingly, we know the data about how often money is that source of conflict in marriage. The studies say, though, the way we overcome that is, yeah, we got to communicate and yeah, we got to live within our means. But it was the biggest one was do we have margin? Do we have something left over at the end of the month? And if we're going beyond that, that leads to the second warning sign, which is debt. We're living outside of God's provision and we're taking on more and more debt. It's not sustainable, but I think a big one. Ali is the comparison trap. I mean, you know it well. Here, go with me for a second. Jesus hits this head on. You remember in Luke 12 he's traveling to Jerusalem for the last time before his crucifixion. There's thousands. Somebody steps out of the crowd and asks him to settle an inheritance dispute. And he doesn't take the case. But he addresses the heart of the matter, which is covetousness. Right? Another way to say the comparison trap. And here's his warning. Take care. Be on your guard against all covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions. Now that's a startling statement in his time and in now. And it begs the question, if material abundance isn't what makes life satisfying and full, what does? And we know the answer is in John ten, I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved. He will go in and out and find pasture. I am the good shepherd the good Shepherd, lays down his life for his sheep. So here's here's the bottom line. Here's the truth the Lord is the only source of true abundance, and not just the source of abundance, but the actual abundance itself.
S2: Yeah, and reining that in and bringing it under lordship to him and then talking with him about it is huge. Rob. Um, five years ago, I give credit to my bride on this one. I was the I was the dad that if a kid needed something, I'd flip him a 20 and we were just busy. Ministry was cooking. We're seeing pastor in a church in Alaska and things are just on fire, and I'm just. I got no time, you know? So I'm doing this and this and this. And my bride came to me, and she is a phenomenal asset in my life. And she said, Bob, we got to get a budget. We got to get this reeled in. We don't know where it's going, what's going on. And we got on this old model where you get these envelopes and you put cash in it for every month. And at first I'm like, oh, this is the most constraining thing. And let me tell you something. Nothing is more liberated. Our ability as a couple to leverage resources toward kingdom stuff and to find joy in it, than having a budget that we could follow. And when I found out that Rob with Faith five built a budget that's basically a digital envelope system, I'm like, get me that tool. Right, Rob, remember that day we had that combo?
S13: Remember it? Yeah. And you said, hey, I've got all these envelopes and it's worked for us.
S2: But why does it work? Why does it work? Why? Why does it work?
S13: Because it's the only way to reign in your spending. You see, what so many people do is they create a budget on paper and they stick it in a drawer and they say, oh, we did it. And guess what? We made it balance. And then that's the last time they look at it. Or perhaps they wait till the end of the month and pull it out and say, how bad did we do? Well, it's too late. Then. You see, the envelope system, whether it's digital or physical, is the only way you make real time decisions during the money or during the month when you look into the eating out envelope or the entertainment envelope or, you know, I've got an envelope for my daughter Emma, who loves to buy new clothes. And when the money's gone, it's gone.
S2: Bless his heart. I want to take a love offering for Emma because daddy's cutting her short.
S12: No. I'm kidding.
S2: No, but. And you know what you're teaching Emma? And every kid needs this. All of God's kids need this. Some need to be given some latitude. So maybe Johnny needs to be told no, you can actually go get some new jeans, bro. Those are nasty. Yeah. And yet. Yeah, it's kind of. This is sweet.
S4: It's the Faith fi app. If you want more information, just text money to 800 555 7898. This will get you linked up. So you can check out that app available wherever you get your apps. So just text money to 800 555 7898.
S2: Yeah, yeah. Do it would you? And this is a treat. And I know there's some people out there fearful right now because I know what this feels like. Rob. It's like do I. And I was there. Do I dare put myself under these constraints? What do you say to that word, Rob?
S13: Well, you've got to start somewhere. And here's the reality. Until you know where your money's going, you're going to struggle. And so that's the beginning point. Not trying to fix anything. I just need understanding. Where am I at today? And then you can start working on the changes. And if you're married you come together. The budget will be the instrument of peace. It doesn't have to be constraining. It doesn't have to rein you in. It just tells the truth. And it gives every dollar a job.
S2: It's beautiful. All right, Ali, let's get it.
S4: Takes money to (800) 555-7898. No emojis. I know there's lots available that you could use, but just write out that word and leave everything else out. Text money to 800 555 7898.
S2: Yeah. Our goal is to help you take hold of God's promises. God wants to do that. And sometimes you got to remove what's in the way. Don't let money become a God. Get God's help to get it under control.