S1: Do you have a question about the Bible, God, or the spiritual life? Well, you've come to the right place. Hello friends. Welcome to Open Line with Doctor Michael Reginald Moody Radio's Bible study Across America. My name is Michael Radonich. I'm the academic dean and professor of Jewish studies and Bible at Moody Bible Institute. And normally we take your calls, but today it's a special pre-recorded program, so please don't call. We're clearing the spindle, we're emptying the inbox. We're answering the questions you've sent us in past weeks. And if you'd like to send a question, you can still do that. Just go to our website, openline radio.org. Click on the link that says Ask Michael a question and you can put your question right there. And then it will be added to the mailbag for a future program. But right now I want to say special thanks to Chris Siegert for handling all things technical today, and for Open Line producer Tricia McMillan for joining me with the questions today and discussion. And here she is now with this very large mailbag. Tricia McMillan dragging it in. Welcome, Tricia.
S2: Thank you.
S1: Hey, so it's a Labor Day special program, right? Have your kids started school?
S2: Yes they have. They started a few weeks ago.
S1: Yeah, it starts in August in Illinois, right?
S2: A lot of them do. Yeah.
S1: Yeah. It's hard for me to get used to it, even though, you know, I raised my kids here in Illinois and they all started, you know, all the kids, both of them. All of them started in in August. But I'm from New York. It always started one week after Labor Day. So so.
S2: Nice. But no.
S1: Labor Day was the end of summer for me, right? But of course, in New York City, where I grew up, school, I don't know what it's like now, but school ended on June 30th, so it went kind of late.
S2: Okay. So you needed that extra couple of weeks.
S1: Yeah, yeah, but it's Labor Day getting ready to work, right? Yes. That's what we're going to do. Labor day weekend. Okay. Well how many? I know we've got a big bag of questions there and we're going to I let you choose the order, you know. However we're going to go. But I'll do my best to to clear the spindle today to see how many questions we can answer. All right.
S2: And we do the mailbag every week. So if they don't get in this one, they may make it to a future one. Exactly, exactly. Well, our first question is from Michael in Iowa who listens to WSM. Can you explain the New covenant, and does it make the Mosaic or Sinai covenant obsolete?
S1: Well, that's kind of an interesting question. I think that, uh, a lot of people treat the new covenants versus the Old Covenant. The Old Covenant is indeed the Sinai covenant. I think that's right. But they treat the New covenant as if it cuts out part of the Word of God, or somehow it wasn't anticipated. It seems to me that even in the book of Deuteronomy, when we come to the end of the book, there's a promise. It says in Deuteronomy 30 verse six, the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the hearts of your descendants, and you will love him with all your heart and all your soul, so that you will live. This is so crucial because there's an anticipation that that idea of a circumcised heart is the new covenant. So right at the end of the Pentateuch, at the end of the law, the promise from Moses is that there will be a new covenant. And then, of course, it's presented in Jeremiah 31. And there Jeremiah kind of distinguishes it from the Old Covenant. He says in Jeremiah 31, verse 31. He says, the days are coming. This is the Lord's declaration when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah. This one will not be like the covenant I made with their ancestors, when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt. Now there we go. That's the reference to the Sinai covenant, where Moses went up the mountain and received the law. A covenant they broke, even though I had been a husband to them. The Lord's declaration. Instead, this is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel after those days. The Lord's declaration. And by the way, he keeps saying, this is declares the Lord or the Lord's Declaration, because this is a very significant thing he's saying. He keeps wanting to say, this is from the Lord. I will put my teaching within them and write it on their hearts. I will be their God and they will be my people. No longer will one teach his neighbor or his brother, saying, know the Lord, for they will all know me from the least to the greatest of them. This is the Lord's declaration will. The new covenant was inaugurated by the Lord Jesus at his death. He says at the Last Supper to his disciples, this is the new covenant in my blood. When the death of the Messiah and then his resurrection, it's inaugurated, everyone that believes in him lives. They operating system we live by is the New covenant. And and that's why in second Corinthians three, all followers of Jesus, although it was made with the Jewish remnant of the disciples, every, uh, person who believes in Jesus is, even if they're not Jewish, is grafted in to this promise and experienced the New Covenant. And that's why Second Corinthians three says that we are ministers of the New Covenant. So yeah, we're part of the New covenant. It's the promise of a circumcised heart. It's the promise of God putting his teaching in our hearts. But that doesn't mean we don't obey the Word of God. And the Word of God includes the law of Moses. I would say that what Hebrews eight is saying about the new covenant replacing the old. I think that's true as our operating system. But the whole word of God teaches principles of truth. And so, for example, nine of the Ten Commandments are repeated in the New Testament or the New Covenant, and we still live by them, but we're doing it because of them being in the New Covenant. And so we are today New Covenant believers, uh, those of us who have trusted that Jesus died for us and rose again, we are operating system that we live by, that we're related to God by is the new covenant. Now here's something that's crucial about this. It's not just following your heart. Even though he put his law within our hearts, it's to guide us. He gives us spiritual power to obey his commands. But the Lord Jesus still said of the new covenant, if you love me, you'll obey me. He still expects us to follow the teachings and principles and commandments of the scriptures, as they are found in the New Covenant. That's the key.
S2: So, okay, I love, I think, one thing that was very helpful in what you just taught is that, you see, there is this connection between the Old Testament, the New Testament, where so often, you know, you may hear Christians say, I'm a New Testament believer, which like you're saying, we are believers following Jesus under the New covenant, but that that is tied to this history of the this promise. Yeah. This promise that started back then, where God talks about renewing the hearts and how important that is and bringing that up to today.
S1: So, you know, at the end of Deuteronomy, it's not just that, uh, that God says to Israel, uh, that they that they are going to get a new covenant. In Deuteronomy 31 it says, I know that after my death Moses says, you will become completely corrupt and turn from the path I have commanded you. So what's he saying? I know you're not going to keep this Torah. And so what the hope is, is that they will get the law circumcised on their hearts. Right? That they'll have the New covenant. And then Jeremiah says the same thing. I'm going to give them a new covenant, not like the law of Moses that they broke the one I gave them when they came out of Egypt. The problem is that we didn't have the internal power to obey it. With the new covenant, God gives us spiritual power. The Holy Spirit comes and dwells us and empowers us to be obedient. That's what's so crucial about the New covenant.
S2: Okay. Thank you. Thanks for that question, Michael. Related. Only in that looking at Old Testament and kind of the future promise, Maxwell and Florida wrote listens to Wcqs and was wondering if there's a connection between job 33, which is part of Elihu's first speech, um, and the gospel. So he was seeing some kind of overarching things about man experiencing death and needing salvation, having a mediator petitioning for man's salvation. Um, that mediator providing a ransom, man praying to God and being accepted by God who restores man's righteousness, and then man proclaiming that good news to others. Um, you in the previous question, were able to show us how the the various Old Testament passages can connect to the New Testament and and look forward. But I think sometimes we can get we try to look so hard for connections of, um, of Jesus, I guess, which is not what Maxwell's saying, but looking so hard to make it fit into something that can also have, um, like present day connections to Jesus that we can we can try too hard. So how do we.
S1: How do we do that? You're right. Well.
S2: Um, I mean, like, I read through job 33 and I was like, you know, okay, I could kind of see some loose kind of connections, overarching ideas where this might be happening. Um, but what do you say?
S1: I think that here's what I would start. I look at the context and it says that God's going to speak to us in verses 15 through 18. It says he speaks in jobs day. He speaks in a dream, a vision in the night. Uh, so one of the ways that God can communicate is through dreams and visions. And then God speaks. Also, according to verses 19 through 22, he can speak through suffering. A person may be disciplined on his bed with pain and constant distress, and so his flesh can waste away. God is speaking to him through that. Uh, and then he can also speak in the verse that he cites in verse 2223. He can speak through angels, through mediating angels. If there's an angel on his side, one mediator out of a thousand to tell a person what is right for him, be gracious to him, and say, and so forth, and he can speak through an a mediating angel. I don't think that was very common. But you look at the book of Daniel. Angels came and communicated with him. The the point that Elihu is making is that God speaks through various ways dreams and visions, suffering, mediating angels. But then if you read verses 25 through 33, he does this to bring people to repentance. And the reason he says this is he thinks, job, you did something really wrong or you wouldn't be suffering this way. God's using these things, the suffering in particular, to bring you to repentance. You better get your act together. Uh, and it's true that God can use these things to speak to any person. Uh, he uses suffering sometimes to communicate with us. But we ought not to be like Elihu and presume that God allows suffering only to correct and bring people to repentance. God does use suffering. I think one of the ways that he uses suffering is to refine us and make us closer to him, but the point that he's making is that God mediates his message to us through a variety of ways. Today, I would say since the coming of the Messiah, God is you know, it says in Hebrews one that God spoke to us in many different ways through many different means. That's what it says in Hebrews one one. I'm turning to the verse so I can quote it exactly. Long ago, God spoke to the fathers by the prophets at different times and in different ways. Now verse two, in these last days he has spoken to us by his son. So the great mediator that communicates the truth of God through the new covenant is the Lord Jesus. And so I don't think that this passage in job 33 is a specific, uh, prediction of the Messiah, but I do think that it teaches a principle that leads us to the Messiah, who will be the A primary. He is the only way that God speaks to us through His Word. But through the Messiah's Word, the Word of Christ is called in the New Testament. Uh, he he speaks to us through his great mediator, the Lord Jesus. So that's that's what this is about. But, uh, you know, I think it's hard to see a direct messianic prediction here in job 33. And that's what we want to see. But, you know, we have to be careful. We want to read it for what it really actually says. And, uh, and I think you're right that we all want it to be a prediction. Right. Mhm. Yeah. Yeah. But that it's what Ellie. Ellie who. This is what you find about job's friends. And when you read the book of job this should help you. They usually take a bit of truth and then they apply it wrong. Okay. Yeah. Yeah. Which, which we have to be careful of. They're applying it in the wrong way to the life of job. But, uh, they but they have truth there. But they have to apply it better. And I think sometimes when I talk to us, that's what we do as well. We have a bit of truth and we apply it in the wrong way. We're going to come back with more questions. Tricia McMillan and I, we're taking your we've we've taken your questions on the Bible, God and the spiritual life and on this special clear the the spindle day. We'll be right back. With. The book of acts is much more than history. It's also about defending the faith. It includes the biographies of the apostles and has profound teachings about God, especially the Holy Spirit. And with Doctor Charles Rogers, everyday Bible commentary on acts will gain a richer appreciation for how the same Holy Spirit can radically change our lives today. Request your copy with your gift of any amount. Call (888) 644-7122 or visit open Line radio.org. Ministry isn't a solo effort. You know my voice. But if you could see inside our studio, you'd see a team behind the scenes putting open line on the air. Look a little further and you'd see into the homes of listeners like you who give monthly to make this ministry possible. And when you join our team of Kitchen Table Partners, I'll send you a Bible study moment email every other week with tips and encouragement. Become a kitchen table partner today by calling (888) 644-7122 or go to Open Line radio.org. Welcome back to Open Line. I'm so glad to be with you today. Really grateful for that. And I'm glad that Tricia McMillan is here. We're recording a special, uh, Labor Day weekend open line. So it's, uh, so as a result, there's no need to call. But do listen, these are the questions that you have sent in by going to Open Line radio.org and clicking on ask Michael a question. Trish is with me. A lot of people send those questions in don't they. Oh yes.
S2: And I'm glad they do otherwise. I mean I could come up with my own, but I'd rather other people I'd rather other people have a chance to have their questions asked.
S1: Yeah. You know what? There are a lot of people that come up with their own besides you. And I think it's so funny when I like, I go to the grocery store and someone recognizes me. They've looked at the website, they've seen my picture. Usually people just recognize my voice and they say, are you Michael Radonich? And I say, yes. And they say, oh, I have a Bible question. And I'm standing there, you know, checking the tomatoes at the same time. So, sure, I'll answer a Bible question. So I'm glad that people send them in. We could do them here so everyone can hear the.
S2: Yes, yes, yeah. We can all I'll learn. Yeah. So our first our next question is from Ashley. Why did God permit Satan to harm job? We talked a little bit about this. Um, despite job's reverence for God, I know Satan cannot harm people without God's permission. So why does God allow Satan to harm people, especially believers today? So kind of.
S1: A question is why does God allow suffering? Yeah, I mean, that's really what the question is. And truth to tell, I don't think we have a simplistic, easy answer to say, oh, this is why God allows suffering. You know, I there are a lot of different things that that happen. I, I have looked at this particularly, you know, when I think about my mom as a young woman, went to concentration camp. She lost her family. She was a slave to the Nazi regime. She suffered greatly. They did experimental surgery on her eyes. And you could say, well, maybe she didn't know the Lord. Well, she did know the Lord. She had just come to know the Lord right before concentration camp. Now, after she married in Germany. We didn't know growing up. She kept that she was a secret believer, but she had become a believer before going to concentration camp. I'm like, well, why in the world would God allow that? But if you asked my mom, she would say that God used it to refine her faith. God used it to make her more dependent on Jesus than ever. Uh, he used it to, to really give her a stronger faith that she had. You know, it's easy to believe when everything's going great, but our faith is really strong when things are horrible. And we still trust and believe God's word and believe in the Messiah. So I think that when you look at job, if we go back to this text, job had was a godly man, but he had an issue. He thought he deserved everything good because of his faithfulness. And what he learned was that God is sovereign and he doesn't have to answer to us. That's a really big lesson to learn. So in a sense, we could say that with job, God allowed that to happen, to refine job's faith, to strengthen it, to make it a better faith. Because what does he do at the end? He says, I repent in dust and ashes. He just. He recognizes that he can't demand of God to answer to him. We are answerable to God alone. So why does God allow suffering in the lives of believers today? Many different reasons. One of the reasons I would say another one is when you look at Hebrews 1136 through 40, where it talks about godly people who suffered greatly, God uses them to create heroes for us. I mean, who are the ones that we think are real heroes of the faith? The people who remain steadfast and faithful regardless of how much they suffer. I mean, would Johnny be a real hero of the faith the way she is? Uh, had she not suffered so much? But it's her great faith in the face of suffering that makes her one of our true heroes. So, Johnny.
S2: You're talking about Johnny Erickson.
S1: Johnny erickson. Tada! Yeah. And it's. The thing is, he refines our faith and gives us heroes to follow who have had their faith refined through suffering.
S2: Okay, so Orlando's question on the heels of this is he's trying to talk to his daughter and engage with her on this question. She's drifted from the faith. And this is her big sticking point that that God, um, that people are going through this suffering and he's allowing it and he knows what's going to happen. Um, why why How do you respond to especially a young person like.
S1: She wants to know why did God let Adam and Eve sin just to start with? Yeah, and I think that's actually a good question. Uh, because it helps us answer the question about why he allows things today. First of all, he allowed Adam and Eve to sin, gave them the option to obey him or disobey him because if he did not, and this is crucial, they would have. If it was just. You can only obey. Then they were nothing but computers. They were nothing but robots. They were nothing but machines programmed to do whatever God said. And if of think about this, if if Adam and Eve had been programmed to love and obey God, how genuine is that love? It has to be a choice. It has to be a choice to obey God and love him so that we are not robots. That's why God did that from the beginning, taking the risk that they might disobey him. Uh, and now God knew all along that they would. I'm not saying he didn't say it's not a risk.
S2: I guess if you know that, that's what's going to happen. But. Yeah.
S1: Yeah, but he said that's what's going to happen. And that's why it says in the Bible that Jesus was the lamb slain before the foundation of the world was laid. Why? Because God knew that they would disobey and he would do everything. He would make the greatest sacrifice ever to redeem humanity. So, uh, God is doing that. He. So that he could have a genuine relationship with people, not just a a computer that does what we tell it to do when we program it. Okay. And that's. But because Adam and Eve, uh, did this, um. Hmm. The result is the world has fallen and and people need to turn to the Lord Jesus for redemption. And I would say, if God is all knowing. And why does he allow sin and bad things to happen? Because it causes people to turn to him. Uh, it says in Psalm 120, I believe. Let me just pull this up here. Uh, Psalm 120, verse one. It says, in my distress I call to the Lord, and he answered me. So what is God doing? He allows bad things to happen because of the fallen world, so that people would look to him for deliverance. And I think that's a really crucial aspect of this God. One aspect of why God allows suffering is so that people would turn to him for that relationship. God uses suffering to speak to us. That's what we just talked about with job. Mhm. Uh, so he, he uses bad things in our lives to direct our attention to him. Uh, now some people get bitter, other people turn to him in suffering, and that's what he wants us to do. And then he delivers us. And the last thing I would say is the best of all possible worlds is not a world in which there was no evil, because there's so many things that difficulties in evil teach us. You know, there are there are virtues like bravery that we wouldn't know were there no suffering. Uh, faithfulness. Sacrifice. The man who jumps on a grenade to save his platoon? If there were not, would that happen? If there were no the there if there wasn't the evil of war. So there are virtues that God creates. And then ultimately, I would say the best of all possible worlds is not a world in which there was no evil, but a world in which evil has been overcome. And so and that's what the Lord Jesus is going to do when he returns, establish a world that is perfect. So we'll continue this mailbag program in just a moment. I'm Michael Radonich. Tricia McMillan is here with me. Stay with us. We're coming right back on this very special mailbag only day of open life. We're so glad that Febc partners with Open Line with Doctor Michael Radonich, bringing the Febc mailbag every week. Learn how far East Broadcasting Company is taking Christ to the world@febc.org on their weekly podcast. Until all have heard with Ed Cannon, you'll hear stories of lives changed by Messiah all across the globe. Again, you can hear the podcast when you visit Febc. Org. That's Febc. Org. Welcome back to Open Line. It's a very special Labor Day weekend program. We're clearing the spindle emptying the inbox. Don't call in. We love your calls. But save them for next week. And the reason is we are answering the many mailbag questions as a pre-recorded program. Joining me is Tricia McMillan. Hey, Tricia. Hi. I'm so glad that you're here. This is usually our mailbag segment, but this whole program today for two hours is our mailbag segments. So but I'm really glad that you're here. And we're going to go back to the questions. What do you got for me?
S2: All right Lori in Alabama listens on the Moody app. And she wants to know if you can explain. First Corinthians 1013 says, no temptation has overtaken you except what is common to humanity. God is faithful and he will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able. But with the temptation, he will also provide a way of escape so that you are able to bear it. She says Paul says God will not tempt beyond what I can handle what I need. God then, doesn't God give us more so that we have to lean on him?
S1: No. He only what this is saying is we absolutely need God, who is the one that gives us the way of escape. It's the Lord who provides the way of escape. Uh, and and that's the thing that we remember is that in every circumstance when we're tempted, God is also providentially involved so that he is working because we desperately need him. What we need to do is see what is God doing to give me a way of escape. This is so important because people always want to blame someone else for their sin, right? Think about Adam. Uh, it was the woman whom you gave me. Right? And the woman said it was the serpent. And we're always looking for someone else to blame. I think of the old Flip Wilson comedian, the comedian Flip Wilson, who said that when he had I think it was Geraldine. It was one of his characters. And she would say, the devil made me do it. Right. We we want to blame someone else all the time. And what this is saying is there's no one else to blame, because in every temptation, God provides a way of escape. It's not saying that the temptations won't be hard. They won't be challenging. It's just that there's never a place where we say, I had to sin. I couldn't help myself. God put me in a circumstance where I must sin. This is saying no. Any temptation we have. God has also provided a pathway to obedience if we'll take a look for it. So it's not saying we don't need the Lord. It's just saying, in fact, what we do need the Lord to do in our lives by his power is to help us to find that pathway of escape. Uh, and so that's that's all that that is saying. It's not saying that. Oh, we don't need the Lord because there's a way of escape. No, we need the Lord. Who's the one that provides the way of escape.
S2: And I think when we use this verse, or at least when I've heard it, we only quote the first part. No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to man. You know, except what's common to humanity. And we don't get as far as or we just we just quote the middle. He won't allow you to be tempted beyond what you're able. As if we. As if we are relying on our own strength to do that. And and rarely do I ever hear anyone include he will provide a way out. So it's only that those first two parts that I hear quoted.
S1: I love the story. A friend of mine told me she was a college student. She was a former student and she's good friends with Eva. She was a student and she was a committed follower of Jesus. And she was in Manhattan, and she was making out with a guy in a car in Manhattan, of all places. And she was getting really tempted to maybe go beyond what she should do. And she prayed at that moment she said, God, give me a way of escape, or I'm going to behave in ways that are really wrong. And in the middle of Manhattan, a car right there parked a raccoon jumped into the back seat of the car. It's a true story. A raccoon jumped in there and it disrupted the whole thing. And she said, there's my way of escape. And she says, I'm getting out of here, so. Wow. And so you just never know how it is. Know that God will provide a way of escape. So.
S2: But we have no excuse to sin.
S1: Yeah, exactly. And I just thought that was the funniest story. I was teaching this verse in spiritual life once, and this person was in the class and told that story to the class, and I just thought, that is hysterical. But God provided a way of escape, didn't he?
S2: He did. So he did. And again, I'm I'm always surprised how God answers prayers and how we cannot see any way that this could happen, whatever that is. I mean, I mean, you name whatever the prayer request is and the way that God shows up or God answers prayers in ways that that's that's not what I would. You know, I was expecting you to say. A cop pulled up behind them with the lights flashing or something like that. A raccoon was not on my radar for that.
S1: In Manhattan, right?
S2: Oh yeah. But I love that. God still. He was there. He provided that way out for her after she prayed that.
S1: Yeah. Isn't that great?
S2: Yeah. And what.
S1: Encouragement.
S2: That story, too, for those who are struggling with sin and saying, I just can't I can't quit, I can't, I don't see a way out that God is faithful and will also provide a way of escape.
S1: Yeah, we have to be looking for it and asking him to show it to us. Yeah. So yeah. That's it. Yeah.
S2: All right. Well, thanks for that question, Lori. Um, switching gears a little bit, Ed from Florida listens Online and said that I've heard different people testify on television programs. Christian, mostly that Christ has appeared to them in a dream and was the catalyst of how he how they came to faith in Christ. Um, what is your take on this? Like today in the Western world, we don't see that as much. But I've heard, especially in the Middle East, a lot of times, these stories of how Jesus appears in a dream and that kind of gets them asking questions and different things.
S1: It's usually in very resistant cultures like Islam or even Judaism, uh, Hinduism, where they have really made their decisions about who Jesus is in some of those cultures. Uh, that the Lord uses, uh, dreams and, and visions to get people's attention. So but I want to be really clear, the gospel generally, when you hear those stories, it was just to get their attention, to open them up. But they need to hear the gospel either from the Word of God or the people of God, in order to put their faith in the Lord. But that's just the opening. I've never heard of anyone coming to the Lord through the dream, only becoming open. And then when they hear the gospel, they respond. I had a student who gave his testimony back in the day at Moody. We had a course called Personal Evangelism. I think you.
S2: I did. I took that class.
S1: And we one of the things that I did when I taught that course was have people write up their testimony how to how to tell their faith story. And there was a wonderful student from Jordan who was one day praying to God as he overlooked the Gulf of Aqaba, and he was looking at into the state of Israel from Jordan. And he saw the state of Israel. And he what he was praying to Allah, he said, was saying, May the. May there be peace between Israel and the Arab states. That's what he was praying. And just as he prayed that, he said, I saw a vision. And he says, I was certain it was the Prince of Peace. Jesus. And He didn't know what to make of it, and that was sort of the end of it, he thought. A few months later, he came to the United States of America on a soccer scholarship with setting up his dorm room and went into a hardware store to pick something up and saw a young woman reading a Bible in Korean. And he said, what book is that? And she told him what it was. And he said, well, I can't read Korean or English very well. And she said, I'll get you an Arabic one, come back tomorrow. And he came back the next day, looked at the the Bible, read it in Arabic, and within a week came to know the Lord. Wow. Uh, and then after he spent that year in school, he transferred to Moody Bible Institute. Yay! Today he's an evangelist. Wow. With Muslims in on the west coast of the United States. Uh, what what I think is amazing is what opened him up. Was that dream, that that vision. So I think that that's crucial. Hey, let's take a break here. All right. Why don't we do that? Uh, because we want to have some time to take some more questions in our next segment. Uh, that was Tricia McMillan with that great, great question and sent in really, really helpful for us to know that God is working among people who are resistant. And we're going to come right back with more of your questions that you've sent in in just a moment. This is open line with Michael Jelinek and Tricia McMillan. With all the suffering and persecution Jewish people have faced throughout history, we need to be reminded that the Lord has always been faithful to his chosen people. And that's what the new 2024 2025 Messianic Jewish Art calendar from Chosen People Ministries is here to do. It tells the story of Jewish people in the Land of Israel, from the promise given to Abraham through exiles and returns and then statehood. Yes, even on October 7th, God's hand has been evident. He's always been faithful to his covenant promises to the Jewish people. If you'd like a free copy of this marvelous art calendar, just go to Openline radio.org. That's our website, Openline radio.org. Scroll down to the link that says A free gift from Chosen People Ministries. Click on that, fill out the form and you'll be sure to get your free Messianic Jewish art calendar from Chosen People Ministries. Welcome back to Open Line. This is a special call free day. We just have the questions you sent in. The best way to do that, by the way, if you want to send a question in is just just go to our website openline Org and you'll see a link that says Ask Michael a question and you can put your question there about the Bible, God, or the spiritual life. I'll do my best to answer it. Trish will make sure it gets into the mailbag and we will cover it hopefully sooner or later, but hopefully sooner. And we're covering as many questions as we can today. Right, Tricia. We are. Yeah. So we're going right through the mailbag. Yeah.
S2: All right. Next question is from Jeff in Illinois listens to WNBA. I believe that the only thing that saves us is accepting Christ as our savior. But why is baptism mentioned in connection with salvation in so many verses in the New Testament? Was baptizing something new, or was it a custom that already existed in the time starring Christ?
S1: Well, first of all, it was not new. You go back to the book of Leviticus, the book of Exodus. You'll see places where, uh, priests were had ritual washings, people had ritual washings. Uh, that was the idea was that there were ritual washing, ceremonial washings, and that's what immersion in water was. So when John the Baptist shows up baptizing, no one thinks, oh, what's going on? We don't know what this is. They know what it is. It comes from Judaism. And one aspect of immersion in water was when someone would convert to Judaism, when a Gentile would convert. And we've seen that, you know, there are converts to Judaism in the New Testament. What would happen by the time you come to the first century is not only was there a conversion ceremony, not only was were men circumcised, but both men and women who converted to Judaism would be immersed in water immediately upon conversion, and it was to have their new identity. They go down under the water, not, uh, not Jewish, and they come up out of the water. According to rabbinic theology. They came up Jewish, and that's really the background. Jewish proselyte. Proselyte, baptism is the background for, uh, New Testament baptism of believers. Believer, baptism, not talking about John the Baptist baptism, but the baptism that the Lord Jesus commanded about making disciples of the nations, baptizing them in the name of the father and the son and the Holy Spirit. That was so linked to the new faith that there was no such thing as an unbaptized believer. It was a person who was surely saved by grace through faith. That was it. But you could see, for example, the Ethiopian royal official, the treasurer, as soon as he believes in acts eight with with Philip, he says, what prevents me from being baptized? And he gets right in the water to identify with his new faith immediately. Uh, and, and that's that's what happens. It's an immediate decision. So we've delayed it. But there's something. We have a similar thing. Tricia. This is. This is something that people often miss. Have you ever encouraged. I've done this. I've encouraged people to pray to receive Christ.
S2: Yes. Right. Yes.
S1: Yeah, but the prayer isn't what saves them. What saves them is their faith.
S2: Right? Yes.
S1: They believe the. If they say yes, I'm ready to receive Christ. They have just believed in him. And the prayer follows. It expresses the faith that they already have. Right. Yeah. And it. But the. Because the prayer is so closely associated with faith. Like if you said to some. Would you like to believe in Jesus? Yes. Okay. Let's pray. Well, when they said yes, they've just believed. Right. But the prayer expresses it. That's sort of how baptism and faith worked in the New Testament. When a person believed, they believed in Jesus and the baptism was the expression of that belief. Sort of the way we use prayer as an expression of it. That's why there was no such thing as an unbaptized believer. They just immediately were baptized. Okay.
S2: So and I think going back to the ritual washings, I think I just assumed that was like hands, maybe feet. Like, I was never picturing a full body immersion for those ritual washings, you know, because they just they I mean, that's that's what we clean when we clean to eat or something. That is, that is our cleansing. And of course.
S1: That shows up in the New Testament, too, because the disciples were told were not washing their hands ritually. Do you remember that? And and of course, they got they were like, why don't they wash their hands? You know, when all that every time when they eat. Because that was part of Judaism. But, you know, I think it's interesting. It's it's my view of, uh, of the baptism of Jesus. Oh, boy. Now we're getting into the weeds here. Uh, in a lot of people think that. Why was the Lord Jesus baptized by John the Baptist? Right? Right.
S2: I mean, because he wasn't he wasn't.
S1: He wasn't repenting of sin. Right? Right. And then others say, well, he was just giving us an example of how to repent of sin. But I actually think it's related to the book of Exodus chapter 40, verses 12 through 15. Bring Aaron and his sons to the entrance to the tent of meeting and wash them with water. Clothe Aaron with holy garments, and anoint him, and consecrate him so that he can serve me as priest. So he has a ritual bath, and then becomes high priest. What is this? This is the Lord Jesus entering into his office as high Priest. That's what the ritual bath was. So that's why he goes to John the Baptist. It's not that he's repenting of sin.
S2: And it's not to be an example.
S1: No, it's to enter into his office as high priest. Okay.
S2: Oh, okay.
S1: I thought I was the only one that thought that. I thought I was the only one that thought that. Huh. And then I was reading Lewis Sperry Chafer, the president of Dallas Seminary. He held the same view as I. Okay. I feel like.
S2: I'm in company.
S1: I'm in good company.
S2: Oh. That's fantastic. Okay. Yeah. So, becoming the high. Okay, so not as an example for us, then? No. Of what we should do.
S1: But to become our high priest.
S3: Mm.
S2: So what were the what what was John baptizing then for his baptisms?
S1: John's baptism for people with, uh. It is very common, even in Judaism to this day, that when people are penitential, when they're sorry for the thing that they've done wrong, they go to the mikvah, the ritual bath, and they take a ritual bath. Sometimes very Orthodox Jewish men will go to the mikvah before Sabbath for a penitential washing. Now they do it over and over again. But the, the, the, the baptizer John was saying, repent, the kingdom of God is at hand. So people were repenting not to get ready for Sabbath. They were getting ready for the kingdom coming, for the messianic kingdom being announced. And what they were doing is going into living water. That's what the requirement is. It has to be running water for a Jewish ritual bath. And so they were going to a river which had running water, living water, and they were exercising a penitential immersion, ritual immersion, uh, a ceremonial bath to show that they were prepared. They were they were penitent. They were confessing their sin and being prepared for the coming of the Messiah. That's where it comes from, from this, uh, from Judaism, and it's still practiced today in Judaism. A lot of people are are kind of surprised about that, but it's it's still exists. Uh, well, we've that's the first hour. I can't believe we've finished the first hour of Open Line, but we have a second hour of your questions that you've mailed in on this all mailbag, all the time special edition of Open Line, uh, during the break that's coming up right now. Check out our web page, open Line radio.org has all the links you're looking for how to become a kitchen table partner, how to get our current resource, how to get the chosen people, offer whatever it is. Open line with Doctor Michael Melnick is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute. We're coming right back.