S1: The following programme was pre-recorded so our phone lines are not open.
S2: We all want the best for our kids, but knowing what's truly best isn't always easy. Hi, I'm Rob West. You've probably heard it or said it yourself. I just want my kids to have what I didn't. It sounds noble, but it can sometimes lead to financial trouble. Today I'll talk with doctor Art Rayner about how that mindset can push parents into debt. And we have some great calls lined up. But we won't be taking your calls today because we're pre-recorded. This is faith and finance. Live. Biblical wisdom for your financial decisions. Well, we're delighted to have our old friend Art Rayner with us today. He's the director of the Institute for Christian Financial Health, the organization that certifies Christian financial counselors, or CERT CFCs. Art, it's great to have you back with us.
S3: It's always an honor. Thank you for having me.
S2: There are a lot of folks, as you know, struggle with wanting to give their kids the best chance in life and yet not break the bank while doing it. You have an article on faith. Com titled six Things that Can Lead Loving Parents into Debt, and I want to get right into them. So what's the first one?
S3: Sounds good. The first is keeping up with the Joneses, trying to maintain the lifestyle of those around you. Your neighbor or coworker dresses their children in a high end clothing, and so you want to do the same. Or your neighbor sends their children to a private school, so you decide to follow suit, even though you can't really afford the cost. The Joneses are a frustrating crew to chase because they're always shifting the standard, right? As soon as you feel that you have arrived, they move it slightly out of reach again. So we need to be careful here. There will always be other parents who spend more on their children, but they may be using debt to finance it. You could be chasing a facade.
S2: All right, so don't get trapped into debt by keeping up with the Joneses. I love it, number two.
S3: It's one you might not think of spending time on social media. The images that you see on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, whatever are simply the filtered versions of those that you follow. The constant barrage of great vacations, child accolades, and perfect family moments can make you feel like you're a bad parent at times. You can easily create unrealistic expectations and try to buy your way to feeling better about yourself.
S2: Yeah, the best version of someone's life on social media has certainly added to the comparison trap. All right, that's two. What's number three?
S3: Yeah. So this one is easy to fall into, thinking your kids won't succeed in life if they don't have it all. You know, extracurricular activities have entered a whole new realm. Travel leagues, academic and athletic camps and private tutoring have become just a commonplace. Now, unfortunately, there's a cost to all of these activities and experiences eating up time and money. Now our extracurricular activities. Good. Yeah, absolutely. But are they worth going into debt? Absolutely not.
S2: Oh, boy. I know this one all too well. A dancer, a soccer player, two basketball players. We've certainly been down that road. You have to be careful. All right, what's number four? Art.
S3: And that is caring more about your child's future career than their future character. Often the focus of our parenting is centered on getting our child into a good school, or setting them up to have a good career. Those are important, but they're not the most important. The most important part of parenting shepherding our child's heart is difficult and time consuming, but it's also less costly.
S2: Yeah. And the one can never make up for the other, that's for sure. All right, What's number five?
S3: It's the one that you mentioned in the beginning, wanting to give your kids what you didn't have growing up. You probably remember a time when, as a child, you didn't get something you wanted. Maybe it was a new bike. Maybe as a teenager it was a certain car. You or your parents, they just couldn't afford it. And you remember how you felt. Now, as a parent, you don't want your child to experience those exact same feelings you had. So when they ask, they get even if the purchase requires a credit card.
S2: Oh boy. And that's a tough one. And it leads right into the last one we've got just 30s.
S3: Yeah, that's right. Not considering how lacking something actually helped you as a kid. You remember liking something as a kid, but do you also remember what resulted from not being able to get that item? You may have resorted to more creative play. Um, if you were a teenager, you may have gotten a job. Those moments in your childhood helped you in your growth as an individual. Now, don't you want your children to have the same opportunity?
S2: Absolutely. Boy, those are really good. And I really appreciate you stopping by our really good stuff.
S3: Thanks for having me.
S2: That was doctor Art Rayner, director of the Institute for Christian Financial Health. You can learn more at Christian Financial Health. Com. All right. We're going to head to a break. So don't go anywhere. Still a lot more to come even though we're away from the studio today and you shouldn't call in. We have some great questions that you're really going to enjoy. As we continue to apply God's wisdom to your financial decisions. We'll be right back. Thanks for joining us today on Faith and Finance Live. Hey, a quick email before we head to the phones. This one comes to us from Emily. By the way, if you have a question you'd like, read on the air. We'd love to hear from you. Send it along to ask Rob at Faith Philly.com. That's ask Rob at Faith. Dot com, Emily writes I'm employed and currently receiving Social Security income. I tithe on my salary. Should I also tithe on my Social Security income? I love your program and listen at work. Thanks. And Emily, thanks for this question. Clearly you're wanting to be a generous sower. Be faithful in your giving to the Lord, and I appreciate that. Um, here's my perspective. First of all, the tithe is a great beginning point for our giving. It's we're no longer under the Law of Moses. And yet, uh, we I think we should give proportionately. We see that in the, in the New Testament for sure. We should give sacrificially. And so starting with this idea that we would recognize God's ownership and give in proportion to our income, the tithe is a great principle to apply to that. Uh, so you would give, in the case of a tie, the 10th of your increase. The question is, is your Social Security increase? Uh, if you tithe on your gross income throughout your working life, clearly a portion of what you're getting from Social Security is a return of what you put into the system. The challenge is it would take an army of CPAs to figure out what portion is yours, what portion was your employer's contribution? Because remember, they paid half of the FICA tax. And then what portion was the growth that occurred while it was in there? And so I think for that reason, I would probably take the perspective that let's look at anything we receive from the Lord as a gracious gift from the Lord, no matter what its source was, whether it's SSI or Social Security or disability or an inheritance or a paycheck. And just say, Lord, I'm going to demonstrate my trust in you as my provider, knowing that your provision is complete. And I want to be partnered with you in giving in proportion to how you've prospered me. That would be the approach that I would take, as opposed to trying to figure out what portion falls into which bucket. But at the end of the day, Emily, I realize that the heart behind this is that you want to honor the Lord. And so I would just be on your knees if you're married. You and your husband. Just asking the Lord, what would you have me to do? And I think as long as you follow the leading of the Lord, you give cheerfully as an act of worship. I don't think the the percentage or checking a box is really the most important thing. So hopefully that's helpful to you as you think and pray through this. Uh, before we head to the phones in the news, there's more evidence of a budding buyer's market in real estate. That's right. According to a new report by Redfin, about 44% of home sales in the first quarter involved sellers giving buyers concessions. As the housing market starts to favor buyers, they now have more options to choose from, and that brings negotiating power. Concessions are essentially arrangements between a buyer and a seller to adjust the price or other terms of the sale, for various reasons that could be issues discovered in a home inspection or other issues as well high mortgage rates, home values, and economic uncertainty continue to be a drag on home sales. But with inventories rising, sellers have more competition, so listings are now at a five year high. According to Redfin report, that competition is translating into more leverage at the closing table for home buyers. So if you've been waiting to get into this housing market, I realize interest rates haven't come down as we expected they would in 2025 thus far, and they probably won't. Most economists are thinking we'll finish the year somewhere around six and a quarter. That's just an estimate. Certainly could be higher or lower than that. But that's where consensus is right now around 6.25. So if you have the money to make that purchase, meaning you've got that 20% down payment, you're not going to spend more than 25 max 30% of your take home pay on principle interest, taxes and insurance, and therefore it fits well within your budget. This may be that time during this buyer's market, which is quickly emerging for you to go ahead and enter this housing market. By the way, if you need a mortgage partner on that, our friends at Movement Mortgage would be delighted to serve you. You can go to movement. All right. Let's dive into your questions. Today. We're going to begin in New York. Uh, Nick, thanks for your patience, sir. Go ahead.
S4: Hey, Rob. How are you doing, man?
S2: I'm doing great. Thanks for your call.
S4: Hey. You bet. Hey, great. Great way to tee it off. Because my question is actually all about mortgages and expected interest rates. And most importantly, I'd say the biblical principle of, uh, not being a slave to debt. And, uh, I'm just faced with some options here. So I bought a house a year ago. Um, did it just as you just described. Um, thank God, where I paid over 20%. Um, my mortgage payment is less than one third of my take home pay, and I'm doing pretty good. I was having in the back of my mind that I would refinance when rates came down, and so I have been stockpiling money in savings. Actually, I put it in T-bills while I wait instead of putting it on the mortgage principal directly. Yeah. And my question is, um, I'm trying to pay off the house completely as fast as I can. So would you suggest I pause putting 15% in my retirement to accelerate that goal of being completely out of debt, or should I continue to faithfully contribute towards retirement as well as do this at the same time?
S2: Yeah. Boy, it's a great question. Talk to me about your desire to be debt free. I understand that's really strong. Is that out of just a desire to minimize the amount of interest you pay and therefore really the financial side of the equation is the primary driver, or is there some conviction there that you just really feel like you need to be out of debt as soon as possible? You've thought through that, you've prayed through that, and that's really the driver. I realize it could be some combination of the two, but which side would you come down on?
S4: I think you're right. It's a combination of the two. I think that, you know, like there's there's two types of people in this world, those who pay interest and those who earn interest.
S2: Right.
S4: And sometimes we do both, but they work against each other. So if I'm looking to build wealth so, you know, I can live life like nobody else and give like nobody else in the future, then I'd like to not be the type of person who pays interest.
S2: Yeah, I hear some Dave Ramsey coming through there. Are you are you a Dave Ramsey fan?
S4: I am.
S2: All right. That's great. Well, Dave's a good friend. He he absolutely has. Um, and I think he would, you know, what he would say is get out of debt as soon as possible. And, and, you know, I love that idea. I mean, I'm big on getting out of debt and staying there. I think listen, you've done a lot, right, Nick? Uh, I mean, you're in a really strong financial position. I think. Now your opportunity. And I'll send you something that I think could be a great starting point in thinking and praying through this here in a moment. But, uh, I think you're in a position where you're probably going to or have the potential to over accumulate. So I think it's going to be important for you to begin to think and pray through what your financial finish line is so that you can accelerate that giving. Um, because I think, you know, it's wise to save for the future. But I think we all have to answer the question, how much is enough? And that's both for lifestyle and accumulation. And just given how quickly, you know, you've gotten yourself in a solid position here, especially once that mortgage is gone. You know, you've got your emergency fund, you're debt free. I suspect you're going to stay there. Just hearing that conviction in your voice. Um, you know, you're going to be able to sock away a lot of money and you could build that quickly. And I think quickly get to the place where you say, do I really need all this? Especially with the glide path on where you could end up when you get to that retirement season of life. So I would say, well, let me ask this. What is the interest rate on that mortgage?
S4: That's a great question. And that's definitely a factor. So the interest is six and a half.
S2: Okay.
S4: So if it was only like, you know 3 to 4, you know I could see your point. But that's one of the driving factors is.
S2: Yeah.
S4: It's a high rate.
S2: Exactly. So I would say go after it. I probably wouldn't back down on the retirement plan. But any other surplus, including the money that was in the T-bills, I'd put that on the mortgage as soon as possible. Let's stay on the line and we'll talk off the air. I'll be right back. Hey, great to have you with us today on Faith and Finance Live. I'm Rob West, your host. Our team is away from the studio today, so don't call in. But coming up a little later, we'll have more of your questions right here on the program. Hey, let me take a moment to mention the Faith fi app. We'd love for you to download it. Just head to your app store wherever you download apps and search for Faith fi. That's Faith fi. You can manage your money. You can access the best content in biblical finance podcasts, articles, and videos. You can also participate in our Faith fi community, where you can post questions and get answers from others on their stewardship journey. You'll find it in your app store. Just search for Faith fi or if it's easier, head to our website at Faith Philly.com. That's Faith fi and you'll see the app right there on the home page. Now let's head back to the phone calls we have lined up. I had a chance to finish up with Nick in New York. Off the air here during the break. And you know, the other question he raised is, you know, he's been putting money aside in T-bills, his surplus that eventually he wants to put toward the mortgage, thinking that, well, I'm going to refinance. And, you know, a year or two, once I can get down at least a point and a half, maybe two points on that 6%, 6.5% interest rate, I'm paying. So he's waiting until he gets down to, to, uh, perhaps, you know, four and a half, maybe 5%. Well, that's going to be a while. Uh, you know, that could easily be two years, maybe less, but it certainly could be two years. And what we talked about is, you know, I don't think there's any reason to wait until the refi that really should have no bearing on money that you're going to put toward the mortgage, in fact, that money toward the mortgage now, with the higher interest rate, actually is going to give you more benefit than when it's applied. Or if you wait and apply it to that new mortgage, that's a lower interest rate. So he's putting it in T-bills, he's paying tax on the interest. And then he's going to put eventually that toward the mortgage. Let's get that toward the mortgage now and save the equivalent of today's interest rate, which is a 6.5%. So he's going to move forward with that. He's also going to think about, you know, I'm comfortable in his position with him staying fully invested or contributing to a retirement plan, which is that full 15%, because we usually say 10 to 15% toward the 401 K, I'm comfortable with maintaining that and then just putting whatever surplus he has toward the mortgage. But certainly if he wants to ratchet that down and prioritize getting out of debt, including his mortgage, I don't have any issue with that. I think that's never a bad choice. See, this is one of those where you know what? Either is a great option. It really comes down to my values and my priorities in terms of how I set goals, not anything else. So boy, what a great conversation and appreciate Nick being on the program today. Let's head to um. Tom is in Maryland waiting patiently. Go ahead Tom.
S5: Rob. Your expertise overwhelms me, But, uh, a couple of weeks ago, you talked to a gentleman. Sounds like he and I are in the same boat. Uh, he was a he's a veteran and pulled in $1,800 a month. I'm a veteran. Pulled in 1900, a month. And without getting into a bunch of weeds, uh, negligence on my part. I ended up paying a penalty on my Social Security premium. The question is, can I. Is there any way that this penalty can be waived because of hardship?
S2: Yeah. So you're talking about the premium related to Medicare Part B, is that right?
S5: Right.
S2: And why did you have that? Was that because you enrolled late or something else?
S5: Exactly.
S2: Okay. Yeah. Um, so, yeah, I mean, with with regard to that late enrollment penalty, uh, there are some cases where that can be waived, but it really depends on the situation. Um, you know, essentially, if you, uh, enrolled late because of incorrect advice from a federal government source, you can request a waiver called Equitable Relief. Uh, it could be reduced or waived if there was a delay due to unusual circumstances, like an illness or family member's death or kind of a local disaster or something like that. Um, but you would need to provide a written explanation. Apart from that, you know, there's not a whole lot you can do about it that I'm aware of just because, you know, they give you that window of time to get in. And if you don't, they assess the penalty and there's a lot of people paying it, unfortunately, which is why we try to make as as many people aware of that window as possible. But it does take a pretty significant extenuating circumstance that you would need to document and request the waiver to see if they would approve it.
S5: Gotcha. Thank you so much, Rob.
S2: All right sir. God bless you. And we appreciate your kind remarks about the program. Call anytime. Uh. Let's see, back to New York. Hi, Doug. Go ahead.
S6: I was hoping you could help me with my frustration regarding my 401 K.
S2: Okay.
S6: I had a couple, uh, noticeable losses here for the Covid and the tariff situation. And it seems when the stock market bounces back, I can never recover. You know, close to the 100% that the stock market bounces back to. And is that primarily where the mutual funds are invested in the stocks or what are your thoughts on that?
S2: Yeah, totally is Doug. I mean, you know, when when we look at the market, we we often say the market did this or the market did that. The question is, what part of the market are we looking at. And you know, a lot of times we'll look at either the Dow Jones which is just 30 companies. We might look at the S&P 500, which are the 500 large cap stocks here in the US. Or we might say that, you know, look at the Nasdaq, which is largely technology based, although it goes beyond that. But that's the highest concentration. And so those represent sectors of the market. But there's a whole, you know, other part of the market. I mean, the Russell 3000 obviously is a much broader look at a segment of the market. There's the bond market. So yeah, it really does come down to what sectors of the market you're in. And that's going to really drive both. You know how quickly you see it decline. Uh, given the economic conditions and factors driving the declines and how quickly we recover. So a good example of that would be, you know, just the last several years, a lot of the the run ups in the market have been around the Magnificent Seven, um, largely tech driven because of AI and some of the innovations, you know, these mega-cap companies that really, you know, were the driver of the market. Well, they were the quickest to fall and, you know, have not recovered as quickly either. And so, yeah, it's ultimately going to come down to what mix of investments do you do you have are they the right mix for you. And, you know, that's obviously going to have everything to do with, you know, how quickly they recover and why the market sold off in the first place. So I think if you want to dive into this more fully, it would take an advisor to really unpack how you're invested. Stay on the line. We'll talk a bit more off the air. Well, folks, we're going to head to a break. But let me remind you, we're out of the studio today. Our team is not here, so don't call in. But much more to come just around the corner on faith and finance. Live. Stick around. Great to have you with us on faith and finance. Live. I'm Rob West. Let me remind you that we're not live today, so don't call in. But we have great information lined up ahead in the program coming your way. Hey, if you'd like to support our work here at Faith and finance as a listener supported ministry, we don't do this without you. The best way to do that is through what we call our partner program. These are the the folks that support us monthly. And boy, that goes a long way to helping us reach more people with this message and continuing not only to produce this program, but all the resources we create on a monthly basis. If you'd like to become a partner, just head to our website. Faith Philly.com. Faith Philly.com. Click give at the top of the page and a gift of $35 a month or more, $400 or more a year will make you a partner. What does that do for you? Well, not only do you support the ministry and help us reach more people, but we'll send you four copies of our quarterly magazine, Faithful Steward. You're going to love it. It's amazing. I just got issue two last week and it is gorgeous. And the articles are incredible. Uh, all of our studies and devotionals, when they come out, will be mailed to you. Our new one, Wisdom Over Wealth, comes out here in the next two weeks. Um, it's a deep dive into the book of Ecclesiastes around the the money topics. It's a rich teaching. You're going to love it. And you also get full pro access to the Faith VI app, which means you can connect up all of your accounts to all of your credit cards and investment accounts, and your bank. You can use our money management system. You'll be able to access digital versions of all of our studies and devotions, and our magazine coming this fall. All of that is made available to our faith VI partners. If you want to become one, just head to our website and click give at the top of the page. All right. We're going to head back to the phones here. We've got two lines open. You can call right now 800 525 7000. Let's go to Arkansas. Lynn, thanks so much for your patience. Go right ahead.
S7: Hi. Thank you. Yeah. I wanted to know when you change insurance companies. I had a claim for a new roof, and my insurance went up quite a bit anyway. Um, and you are talking to a new company and your. Do they know, uh, like, do they research on the internet or something to see if you've had a claim And are your rates higher because of that?
S2: Interesting. Yeah. So you had a claim recently, is that right?
S7: Uh, yeah. And what was funny about it was that two roofers told me I didn't need a new roof, but I had a leak, and they came out and said, you need a new roof anyway, so I got it. But then my rates went up and they went up the month that I got my next payment, which was quite a bit, I mean like 170 over what I was paying, which was kind of a shock.
S2: Got it. Yeah, that makes sense. Yeah. Unfortunately, when you switch homeowners insurance companies, the new insurer will usually access your claim history. There's a a national database called clue, which is short for the Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange. And through that they can usually claim your claims history. I think that goes back 5 to 7 years. So if this was recent, you know, your roof claim would likely show up with the date and the details and the fact that it was from storm damage and so forth. Um, you know, a single roof claim, especially for an unavoidable weather damage like hail or wind or something like that, um, you know, would likely not drastically raise your rates. Uh, you know, those are seen as less risky than frequent or maybe preventable claims. Um, you know, there could be an increase. Obviously, you saw one with your previous employer and it would be it could be factored in here. But I think, you know, the key for you is to shop around, um, really comparing quotes from multiple insurers. Now, remember, the price is not the only issue to look at. Um, because you want to make sure you're with somebody that gets good reviews with regard to, you know, customer service and that they, you know, will follow through quickly on your claim and, you know, give you a good comprehensive coverage. If you want to get a copy of your clue report, you can actually get a free copy annually just to see what the insurers will see. And I can give you that phone number if you're interested. Um, but the the other option I would throw out at you is, um, you know, higher deductibles obviously can lower those premiums. That's going to mean more out of pocket costs. You're going to want to have that money in your emergency fund. But if you did and you don't have claims often, then, um, you know, that that could save you some money over the long haul. But yeah, let me give you that phone number. Do you have a pen handy?
S7: Yes.
S2: All right. It's 86631280768663128076. And you can request that report.
S7: And what is the report called?
S8: What do I show you.
S2: The clue report which stands for Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange and you can get. My understanding is my team is saying you can get one of those free annually.
S7: Okay, great. Thank you very much.
S2: All right. Thank you, Lynn, we appreciate your call. God bless you too. Oklahoma. Hi, Larry. Go ahead sir.
S9: Hi, Rob. Thanks for taking my call.
S10: Yes, sir.
S9: Uh, I have a, uh, non-profit property I'm wanting to sell and give, and I'm going to give it, of course, to another non-profit or a 300 and 1C3. Is there any, uh, forms or anything I need to do, or is that taken care of at the closing of the sale? I'm I'm pretty green when it comes to stuff like this right here.
S10: Yeah. No problem.
S2: Uh, help me with something, though. You said you. I understand you want to sell it and give it, uh, the proceeds or give the property before the sale to a non-profit. We could talk about that. But you said it's it's already a non-profit property. What do you mean by that?
S9: Yeah, it's basically it's a non-profit, uh, that has went basically just dried up. And but with the property and the buildings are there, I'm going to sell that and take the proceeds and give it to a 501 C3 organization.
S10: Okay.
S2: All right. Uh, so that so it belongs essentially to the the nonprofit that you already had. Um, and you're closing that down, is that right?
S9: It's already closed down. Yes, sir.
S10: Okay. Got it.
S2: Yeah. Makes sense. Um, yeah, that's an interesting one. I would certainly, uh, talk to your CPA about that. Um, you know, because it's a little different in that it's already, you know, owned by, um, a 501 C3 under the IRS. So, you know, it's going to be need to be sold, um, you know, at a market value to avoid what's called private inurement. But I think in this case, you know, it's less of an issue because you're wanting to to give it away. Um, do you know of a non-profit who will take the property itself, or are you wanting to get it sold first? Um, you know, under the the nonprofit, and then just give the proceeds?
S9: Well, the the, uh, the church I'm wanting to give the proceeds to is a 500 1C3. And, you know, because I haven't I'm still just doing the legwork on all this right here. And like I said, I'm pretty green. Uh, but I've been doing a lot of research and trying to make sure I do all the right things, you know?
S10: Yes. Okay.
S9: Yeah. But the way it's going to go is already a 500 1C3.
S10: Yeah.
S2: And have you, uh, talked to the church about that, to let them know that that you want that to come their way?
S9: Yes. Well, I'm fixing to, but like I said, I want to get my ducks in a row before I actually announce it, you know.
S10: Got it. Yeah.
S2: Got it. Uh, yeah. So the normally what would happen is the nonprofit's board would would approve the dissolution. Maybe that's already happened and then the transfer of the property to the church. So you would want to have a a board meeting. You document the decision in the minutes and then pass a resolution. This sounds more formal than it is. Specifying the property transfer aligns with the mission. And then, um, you know, you could you could reach out to the church and let them know that that decision had been made by the nonprofit's board, and they can help you facilitate that direct transfer of that donated of that property that's being donated to the church via a deed transfer. You'd want to hire a real estate attorney to help you with that. So I think those are the steps. I've got to hit a break. Stay on the line. We'll finish up off the air. We'll be right back. I'm so thankful you're joining us today on Faith and Finance Live. I'm Rob West. Hey, just a quick reminder. Our team is away from the studio today, so don't call in. But in just a few moments, we're going to get to some questions that we lined up in advance that I know you'll find very interesting, but let me take a moment just to invite you first to be a supporter of this ministry here at Faith fi. You know, we bring you this broadcast every day as a listener supported ministry only because of your generous support. So maybe you listen regularly. Maybe you've been able to apply some of the wisdom from God's Word that you've heard in your financial life, or it's just help you to be that wise and faithful steward, and you'd like to be a part of our team. Well, one way you can do that is by investing in this work through a one time gift, or even by becoming a faith life partner. And this is a really important time between now and June the 30th, which is the end of our fiscal year for us to stay on track, finish out the budget year strong and prepare for another year of ministry. I just invite you to join us on this journey when you head to Faith. Com and click give a gift of any amount before June the 30th would be a big help. Again, that's faith. Philly.com. And just click give and let me say thank you in advance. Your gift will make a huge difference. All right, back to the phones we go. Let's see out to Oregon. Hi, Jane. Thanks for your patience. Go ahead.
S11: I'm confused about this, so I hope I don't confuse you in the process.
S2: Okay.
S11: But, yeah, um, I sell on eBay, and I haven't done my taxes for 2024 yet. And some couple of months ago, when I was starting to do them, eBay had a flag up there and I think it said something like, um, 1099 K is ready or something like that K or something. It may have had more letters after it. And so I click on that and it says I didn't make enough money to, to have that. What does that mean. Is that I mean it's obviously money that I made. Do I have to add that to my Social Security or do I not not have to add it. Is it going to be the same from now on? I, I went online and all they do is confuse me more. Um, but some things said there were different amounts or intimated that there were different amounts for different years to come. Can you clean that up a little bit for me?
S2: Yeah. Uh, so essentially, um, you know, it sounds like you're getting it's the 1099 K that would have your 2024 sales. Yes. You did. And so, um, you know, they you had some sales activity, but it sounds like maybe you didn't meet the IRS threshold. Um, you know, they would normally issue a 1099 K if your gross sales exceed $5,000. Uh, would be the typical way that that would happen. Or if your state has a lower threshold threshold. So it sounded like sounds like their system flagged that you didn't qualify because your sales perhaps were below 5000 and and no other, you know, triggers applied. Um, but even without that 1099 K, you have to report all taxable income from eBay on your 2024 return. Um, and, you know, it's probably not a bad idea for you to have a professional look this over. Um, you know, if you're casually selling personal items like clearing out your closet, it's considered hobby income. Uh, you know, you would report your profits, um, you know, on your 1040 schedule, one is other income. Um, but, you know, if this is more of a business, um, you know, with intent to make a profit, then you'd report the the net income on schedule C, uh, but you do need to, you know, track your sales. You can use their hub, their seller's hub for that, and then download a transaction report, regardless of whether or not you get that 10.99 K.
S11: Okay. Okay. That's what I wanted to know. They were not clear on that when I was trying to find it on Irs.gov or whatever it is.
S2: Okay. Got it. Yeah. I mean, the the key is, you know, whenever you have income, you need to report it. It may or may not be taxable depending upon what you've earned and how what other income sources you have.
S11: Okay. Well, that's what I thought. But the way the way they've approached me, like you don't need it. I'm going. What? All right.
S2: Thank you so much. God bless you, Jane. Appreciate you being on the program. Uh. Let's see. To Tennessee. Patricia, how can I serve you?
S12: Um, I am taking early retirement, and I understand that I can only make $24,300 in earned income this year, and it looks like I'm going to go over that just a little bit. So I was wondering, how did they tax that? Did they tax it. Anything over the 24,300, or do they text the whole thing?
S2: Yeah. And so you're talking about Social Security?
S12: Yes.
S2: Yeah. Um, well, essentially what you're talking about there is, um, so there's the penalty that reduces your benefit temporarily. You will eventually get that back in the form of a higher check once you reach full retirement age. But they're going to reduce your benefit for one by $1 for every $2 you go over that threshold. Um, so that's the first issue is the penalty. And then there's the issue of whether or not your Social Security benefits are taxable. And that has to do with your total income. Which issue are you calling about today, the penalty or the taxes or both.
S12: I guess both.
S2: Yeah. Okay. Um, and so uh, so that, do you understand that issue around the, the temporary reduction in the benefit. So every dollar every $2 you go over that threshold you're going to they're going to reduce your benefit by a dollar. Um, now that threshold goes up in the in the last year before your full retirement age. But prior to that it's a dollar for every $2 you go over. But again, that's temporary because when you get to full retirement age, you will get that back in the form of a higher check until you've been repaid. And there's not a direct schedule for that. It's probably going to take ten years or more to be fully repaid back, but you will eventually get it.
S12: So they're they're going to take back anything over the 24,300.
S2: But.
S12: One, the whole 24.
S2: Yeah. So anything beyond that threshold, the 24,000, they're going to reduce your benefit by a dollar for every $2 you go over.
S12: Okay. Did they take it out of the Social Security check? Or do I do that at the end of the year with taxes?
S2: No. They're going to reduce the check after they see what your total. You know, once you exceed that threshold and you're reporting your income and they're getting, you know, as they get that and they determine you've gone over, then they're going to start withholding it automatically from your check.
S12: Okay. Can I ask one more quick question about passive income?
S2: Sure.
S12: How is passive income. Added in with your social Security? Is it taxed at the same rate?
S2: Yes. Well, so, um, are you talking about in terms of the total taxes you'll pay? Uh, you know, the taxes on income, on Social Security have to do with something called combined income. And so combined income is your adjusted gross income from wages and investments plus nontaxable interest plus half of your Social Security benefits. Fits, um, so that then you total all that together. And that's your combined income that will ultimately determine what percentage, if any, of your Social Security is taxable. The most you'll have is up to 85%. Um, but in terms of passive income, um, you know, the, the nontaxable interest and the AGI, um, you know, passive income. Normally when somebody says that they're talking about rental income or dividends and interest or capital gains, um, you know, all of that, uh, increases your AGI. So it would be factored in.
S12: Okay. I appreciate your help. Thank you so much.
S2: All right. God bless you. Thanks for calling today. Uh, let's see out to Texas. Hi, Robert. How can I help you?
S13: Uh, yes, sir, I, oh, $47,000 on my house. It's probably worth around 75 to 80,000 now. Uh, my father in law is thinking about moving in with his wife, which is a weird situation, I know, but he only owes 24,000 on his house. But there's a lot of problems with it. If I sell, I make 40,000 before taxes. If I sell my house for 75, do I get taxed for the full 75 or just the 30,000 I make from what I owe on it?
S2: Yeah. So the the when you sell an appreciated asset like a home, there's capital gains tax. Um, and so the capital gain has nothing to do with whether or not there's a mortgage on the property. It has everything to do with how much you made on that home. And when you put that profit, that capital gain, together with all of your other income, then that will determine, you know, whether or not you have a long term capital gain and what the rate is. So are you going to make a profit on it?
S13: Um, I bought it for 50,000. Yes.
S2: Okay. And you think, uh. And did you put money into it to that improved the value of it over time?
S13: No, I haven't done anything to improve it.
S2: Okay. Um, and so you think you're going to make about $30,000 on it?
S13: Uh, in in theory, that would be a good goal. Yes.
S2: Okay. All right. So I think, you know, that's really the driver there. So you're going to put that 30 let's say you make 30. You're going to put that together with your income. Do you file single or married.
S13: Um married.
S2: Okay. So if that gain plus all of your other income together taxable income minus deductions, if that goes over 94,000 as married filing jointly, then you're going to pay 15% on that gain. Um, if you're under 94,000, then, um, you know, then you'll have zero. But that includes not only all your income, but the gain itself. I hope that helps. Robert, thanks for your call today, sir. God bless you. Before we wrap up today, what a great opportunity for me to remind you why we do what we do. You see, this program each day is focused on equipping you, providing you hope and encouragement, pointing you back to God's Word in this high calling of being a money manager for the King of Kings. You see, you and I are stewards. God owns it all. We don't have stewardship rights. We have stewardship responsibilities, and we want to get that right. So we look to God's Word, and we know that when we come together and share our stories and ask questions and renew our minds with the scriptures, well, we're going to eventually be on that path to hear one day. Well done, good and faithful servant. That's our goal, folks. We couldn't do this without the amazing team we have here. Amy and Dan and Taylor and Jim want to say a big thanks to everybody here at Faith by Faith and Finance Lives, a partnership between Moody Radio and Faith VI. And we'll see you next time.