S1: It's often said that wisdom may create wealth, but wealth rarely creates wisdom. Hi, I'm Rob West. What's more valuable? Wisdom or wealth? Before you answer, consider that wealth is fleeting, but wisdom is never lost. John Cortinas joins us today to talk about why wisdom over wealth is always the right choice. And then it's on to your calls at 800 525 7000. That's 800 525 7000. This is faith and finance. Live biblical wisdom for your financial journey. Well, I've been looking forward to having John Cortinas back on the program. He's the director of partnership and growth at the MacLellan Foundation and the author of True Riches What Jesus Really Said About Money and Your Heart. John, it's great to have you back.
S2: Good to be with you, Rob.
S1: Thanks, John. Many listeners may not realize that you wrote a study for us last year on the book of Ecclesiastes titled Wisdom Over Wealth, which is available at faith.com/shop for both individuals, small groups, also churches. We've received such encouraging feedback from people who have been struck by Ecclesiastes lessons on wealth, wisdom, and what truly matters. So before we talk about the study itself, I'd love to know about the process. What did that look like for you as you walked through Ecclesiastes personally?
S2: Um, you know, it's a, it's a mysterious book. It's a meaningful book. There's a lot of wisdom in there. And so we've titled this study Wisdom Over Wealth 12 lessons from Ecclesiastes on Money. And it has been a joy and transformative for me to get into that book. As you know, God's Word always has power.
S1: It sure does. And to your point, Ecclesiastes is one of those books we can easily overlook because at first glance it can feel difficult or even discouraging. But when we slow down and let the preacher speak, we discover a deeply hopeful message. Life is brief, wealth is limited. Achievement, pleasure and possessions can't bear the weight of our souls. But God alone can. And that's really the heart behind wisdom over wealth. 12 lessons from Ecclesiastes on Money. The study explores themes like contentment and work and generosity, even enjoyment, wisdom and the fear of the Lord. It reminds us that money is a gift to steward, not a treasure to worship. And we can receive God's provision with gratitude. We can enjoy it in its proper place and hold it with open hands, because our ultimate treasure is not under the sun. It is in the God who made us and sustains us and gives meaning to all we do. So in the study, you actually illustrate the importance of wisdom over wealth with a really powerful story. I'd love for you to unpack that for our listeners.
S2: Would love to do it. Yes. That story you just referenced, this was a real life experience or conversation I had, and it was with somebody who was a part of three siblings, and each of them had a substantial inheritance that they received. That was in today's dollars, about a million bucks. And so a lot of money at age 18. Okay. And, uh, it's amazing. The first one was kind of like a prodigal son story. So really sad. Um, they, they did not go down the right path and it was squandered and they ended up in a very poor position, uh, metaphorically and literally. Yeah. The second sibling, there was some mismanagement, but also a little bit more maybe good decision making as well. And they ended up in a house that at least they had, but the rest of the money kind of went away because expenses exceeded income. And so then here comes the third. And the third child in this family started having lunch with, uh, wise, godly leaders in their community and just asking, look, here's my story. Here's what happened to my siblings. I don't want it to happen to me. They actually hired a Christian financial advisor, and I was one of those lunches. And it was such a privilege to talk to this young person who was saying, look, I don't want what's happened to my older siblings to be my story as well. I want to honor God. I want to learn what investing looks like. And ultimately, there's a happy ending for this person because they finished a college degree, they learned about generosity, they learned about investing, and their life is one that is glorifying God today.
S1: And John, I couldn't agree more. I mean, what a picture of this idea that wisdom can generate wealth, but wealth rarely generates wisdom. This really underscores that, doesn't it?
S2: Yeah. If you look at this story, it's three people from the same family and they all got the same wealth input right as they entered adulthood. And there are three radically different outcomes. And I would argue that the difference was wisdom.
S1: That's exactly right. And we're going to explore this right around the corner. In fact, we'll dive into the book of Ecclesiastes, where we see this idea that wisdom and wealth are both good things, but only one of them can preserve your life. We're talking today with John Cortinas, our friend, frequent contributor, and the director of Partnership and growth at the MacLellan Foundation. Wisdom over wealth on Faith and finance. Today I'm Rob West and back with more right around the corner. Stay with us. Thanks for joining us today on Faith and Finance Live. What's more valuable, wisdom or wealth? We're talking about that today with our friend John Cortinas. He's the director of partnership and growth at the MacLellan Foundation and a frequent contributor here. And the study John wrote for us last year, wisdom Over Wealth 12 lessons from Ecclesiastes on money is the subject of our conversation today. By the way, you can pick up your copy today at faith fi.com/shop. Now, John, before the break, you told us this story. That's actually a true story. You were involved in this of three siblings that each inherited roughly $1 million in today's dollars. They had three different outcomes. One of them was tragic. Another didn't turn out the way we would have wanted. And yet the third was very God honoring. And you really suggested that the difference was wisdom. So take us into the book of Ecclesiastes to explore what you witnessed.
S2: Thanks, Rob. Yeah. So if we look at Ecclesiastes 711 and 12, this is what it says. Wisdom, like an inheritance, is a good thing and benefits those who see the son. Wisdom is a shelter as money is a shelter. But the advantage of knowledge is this wisdom preserves those who have it.
S1: Yeah, a powerful truth. I know you've seen that play out time and time again now. We're not saying that wealth is bad, right?
S2: Of course not. Yeah. Scripture is clear that, uh, God has has given us these things for our enjoyment. As Paul says, wisdom and wealth are both good, as we just read in Ecclesiastes, but only one of them preserves our life. And so if we want to have life, wisdom has to be ahead of wealth. If you think about this, when you and I are born, when anybody is born, we're born without any wisdom, but we've got a crib to sleep in and there's people taking care of us. So we've already got some wealth, but we've got no wisdom yet, and we've got to flip that as soon as we can.
S1: Yeah, that's exactly right. And I love how our team worked with you to create visual reminders of the relationship between wisdom and wealth. The message is clear as wealth grows, wisdom must grow even faster. Otherwise money can quickly become dangerous for the soul. Isn't that right?
S2: That's right. You know, if you think about over our lifetimes, the traditional path wealth grows exponentially. There's compound interest, and so we can end up with a good deal of wealth. And yet, if we're not intentional to grow in our wisdom, the wealth is going to run ahead. And that creates risk. But the better way would be to prioritize wisdom. Because as we just read in Ecclesiastes seven, that will give us preservation. If wisdom is ahead of wealth, our life can be preserved.
S1: Yeah. And John, this can be pretty pronounced if we receive an inheritance or have a sudden wealth experience, it may not necessarily just play out over a lifetimes. Isn't that true?
S2: That's right. And that's where we can follow the example of the the young person whose story we just shared a bit of where, where he said, oh my goodness, I have all this money, I need some help. I need to talk to mature believers. I need a Christian financial advisor to help me navigate this and not blow things up.
S1: Yeah. Well, I love that you unpack this idea of obtaining wisdom because that's the natural next question. Then if it's wisdom over wealth, how do I obtain wisdom? What would you share with our audience?
S2: I love that, and the first question I would ask is what is wisdom? You know, we might think of a list of best practices or some good ideas or a checklist I can follow, but I would submit that wisdom is both a perspective and a person. In first Corinthians one, Paul refers to Jesus as Christ, the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
S1: MM. Yeah. That's right. And so, you know, as we think about those in our life, we obviously need to prioritize wisdom. But I know you've worked with a lot of matriarchs and patriarchs thinking about transferring wisdom to the next generation. You're thinking about that in your own family. What counsel would you give them today around this idea?
S2: You know, absolutely. I think there's so much biblical financial wisdom in Scripture. But again, I would say it's not a checklist, it's not a list of things that I need to do. The question that's first and foremost is do I know Christ? And anybody listening, I'd say, have you encountered wisdom himself? He's the power of God and the wisdom of God. We've each got the amazing opportunity to know Jesus and His wisdom through praying, through diligently studying His Word, and in doing so again, hearkening back to that Ecclesiastes passage. He can preserve our life, and he'll redeem our journey with money through his grace.
S1: Yeah. And when it comes to our kids, you know, clearly those who are listening today that are wrestling through this wealth transfer conversation, thinking about passing wisdom before wealth is really paramount. And if you haven't considered it, perhaps this is that time to stop and think about that before you execute your plans. How would you speak into that dilemma that some are facing right now?
S2: You know, this is such a huge question. The great wealth transfer, of course, is talked about in media, popular media all the time. Um, but man, as believers, we have such an opportunity to open up the conversation earlier. I would just encourage anybody out there thinking about this. I mean, we're trying to talk to our grade school children about this now. And so if we start the conversation about wealth and wisdom and faith and legacy from a young age, wherever you're at today, open up the conversational door. Uh, and that will give more time for things to play out. I'd say the way not to do it is, is make a will wait for you to die and hope everybody figures it out. Let's start the process today.
S1: Yeah, I think the key there is intentionality. Now, John, we mentioned earlier, this is just one lesson within the larger study you wrote for Faith VI last year, wisdom Over Wealth 12 lessons from Ecclesiastes on Money. So for our listeners, connect this topic to the bigger theme. You draw from Ecclesiastes and what God's Word teaches about money and wisdom and eternity.
S2: You know, spending so much time in Ecclesiastes to prepare this, there are two huge themes that jumped out at me studying all 12 chapters of that book. And the first one is not money. Actually, the first one is death. 11 out of the 12 chapters of Ecclesiastes mention death in one way or another, but I would I would argue that the author of Ecclesiastes and God is communicating to us through this book, not to make us sad as we think about death, but actually to recognize that life is short. And he's given us the breath in our lungs today. It's an opportunity to enjoy him, to glorify him, and to seize the moment for his glory. Uh, and that actually feeds into the financial wisdom of Ecclesiastes as well. And so realizing life is short, wanting to honor God and fear him and obey his commands with the time we're given on earth, and then trying to manage our money in accordance with that. And we spend these 12 lessons unpacking that in this study that we've put together.
S1: Mhm. Yeah. John, as we begin to tie a bow on today's message and returning to this idea of wisdom over wealth, what's the big idea that you'd want to leave with our listeners today?
S2: I would just point once again to Jesus. It's all about him. Um, and, uh, he is the source of wisdom. And so, um, I'm so thankful for what you guys are doing through this, through Faith VI, through, um, Kingdom Advisors and putting that message out there that when we connect our faith and finances, uh, it actually starts to shape our heart and make us more like Christ. These are not two areas of our life that should be separate. Uh, we should bring them together in the short number of days that we've got for the glory of God.
S1: Yeah, that's exactly right. And I'm grateful for your hard work on this study, and I'm encouraged by the feedback we've already received. I look forward to seeing the continued impact that it will have. John, as we close, what's your hope and prayer for anybody that picks up that study?
S2: I would say recognize that your life is a gift. You've been given a brief moment of life. You can spend it in bitterness, you can spend it complaining, or you can recognize that God has given you a gift even in the challenges you face. So seek after him and make every day count for the glory of God.
S1: Yeah. That's right. Well, that's certainly our objective here on this program every day to help you see God as your ultimate treasure and money, a tool to accomplish his purposes. John, thanks for stopping by.
S2: Thanks so much, Rob. Great to be with you.
S1: That's John Cortinas, director of partnership and growth at the MacLellan Foundation. You can pick up your copy of Wisdom Over Wealth 12 lessons from Ecclesiastes on Money at faith.com/shop. That's faith.com/shop. Your questions are next. 800 525 7000. Stick around. Hey, thanks for joining us today on Faith and Finance Live. I'm Rob West. Boy, what a just overwhelming, uh, opportunity we've had to see you respond during these 48 hours of impact the last couple of days. Thank you for your generous gifts as you've come alongside us to support directly the incredible work of the Moody Global Campus, uh, Lord willing that we would see many more, uh, courses translated into the native tongue of pastors across the globe, moving into Kenya, moving into other parts of the world, meeting the need for these many people, groups that are asking for Bible training in their language, meeting the need for, for oral learners. Uh, you all are just incredible. And we are so grateful to so many of you who stepped in with a monthly or a one time gift. Just amazing to see what the body of Christ can do together. Well, today we're back to regular programming, which means we want to help you think about managing God's money God's way. I mean, that was on full display the last couple of days during this hour as you were giving. That's one way we honor the Lord as we recognize the grace that has been extended to us. And then as a natural overflow of that, we take what has been entrusted to us that does not belong to us. It belongs to God. But we return a portion of it into God's economy. We can do that through our our charitable giving. We can do that through our strategic investments. Investments are how we support business, which is God's design for wealth creation. You know, the economic system that we operate in starts with creator. God created us in his image to keep and cultivate, uh, to be a blessing, to take the latent potential of his creation and put it to work for the flourishing of others. And we do that each day in part as we manage God's money. And so we want to help you do that today. We recognize you have questions, so we want to come alongside you and help you answer those questions. But if you have something on your mind today, financially, call right now (800) 525-7000. That's 805 257000. You can call right now. In the news today. Inheriting a family home can bring both financial opportunity and difficult decisions. When siblings or other relatives inherit property together, they often have to decide whether to sell, rent or keep the home while continuing to cover property taxes, insurance, maintenance and repairs. These decisions are becoming more common as trillions of dollars in wealth are expected to pass between generations in the coming decades. Rising home values have made real estate and especially significant part of many inheritances. Experts say disagreements can arise when heirs have different financial needs or emotional attachments to a property. Delaying a decision can also become costly because expenses continue even while the family considers its options. Tax considerations matter as well. Inherited property receives a new cost basis based on its fair market value at the owner's death, making a timely appraisal really important. Financial and estate planning professionals recommend discussing plans for family property well in advance, clear instructions, appropriate wills or trusts, perhaps a transfer on death deed if your state allows it, and a defined timeline for making decisions can help reduce conflict control costs and protect the property's value. Listen, I know this can get complicated, but hopefully, as you think through this, have a plan in advance. Communicate clearly. You can make sure you're operating as a steward in an orderly way, including the passing of the family home, what is often the largest asset. All right, let's dive into your questions today. 800 525 7000 is the number to call. We're going to begin in Chicago. And Mike, you'll be first up. Go ahead sir.
S3: Thank you for taking my call. Um, so this year I turned 73. And of course, I have to meet my required minimum distributions out of my IRA accounts. And part of that will be charitable giving. And and then of course, every month I also give charitably with my monthly income. So what I'm wondering, my question is, is there any advantage to giving a larger percentage of their charitable giving to my IRA distributions? If at the end of the year, the total amount of my charitable contributions are the same? I hope my question makes sense to you.
S1: But yeah, absolutely it does. And I think yes, for many people, there is a tax advantage to making more of their charitable giving directly from the IRA through what you have probably become familiar with is the qualified charitable distribution. And here's why the QCD satisfies that required minimum distribution that you now have at age 73, and it's excluded from your taxable income rather than included in income and then offset by a charitable deduction. Um, so what you're doing is you're keeping your adjusted gross income lower, which can have additional benefits, uh, you know, that can reduce or avoid what's called Irma. Um, which is the additional premium you could have on your Medicare Part B and part D, two years after your income goes up. So assuming your income was going to go up your taxable income, you know, when you turn 73, well, two years later, you could have higher premiums to the tune of hundreds of dollars a month for Medicare. Well, you avoid that by keeping your adjusted gross income lower and doing more of this through, uh, you know, your QCD, which means none of your potentially RMD is added to your taxable income as is a real benefit. It reduces the amount of Social Security benefits that are subject to tax. Um, it also can lower your state income taxes in some cases. So, you know, I like this idea, especially if you don't need the money from the R&D. And a lot of people are in that position where they're saying, listen, if it wasn't for the required minimum, I'd just leave it right there. My income is covered elsewhere. Well, if that's the case, why not do your charitable giving out of the IRA? Remember, it went in and you got a deduction. Normally it comes out as income that's taxable. The only way to get it out is through that qualified charitable distribution. So I'd keep your after tax money right there in your checking and savings and do as much through the IRA as possible. But does that make sense though?
S3: It does. I think I just don't understand how that changes my overall income at the end of the year, my overall taxable income when I. Isn't real clear how it changes my overall taxable income at the end.
S1: Okay. Yeah, let me address that because that's an important distinction. I've got to take a break here, Mike, but if you don't mind holding and if you can't, you can hang up and listen. I'll talk about the overall tax picture and how you think about that in light of the qualified charitable distribution. This is faith and finance live. Mary. Roger coming your way as well right after the break. 800 525 7000. Call right now. We'll be right back. Great to have you with us today on Faith and Finance Live. I'm Rob West taking your calls and questions at 800 525 7000. Uh, before the break, we were talking to Mike in Chicago. He's turning 73, which means he's now going to have a required minimum distribution based on his age and his account balance. That's going to run him about 21,000 that the IRS says he has to take out for that first year. He and his wife two typically substantially more than that as charitable giving to ministry, which they do from after tax dollars. So normally they'd write a check from checking or savings and just make that gift direct. And he's wondering what is the overall benefit from the tax picture to doing the full 21,000 from my IRA to cover the required minimum and then do the balance out of checking or savings? Um, you know, how does that help me at all? Um, and essentially, you know, without the QCD, you take the full 21,000 required minimum into taxable income. So let's say you give 40,000 from savings. The tax return now includes 21 grand of IRA income. You may get a charitable deduction only if you itemize. You probably do since you're giving a Is substantial, but your AGI is $21,000 higher with the QCD. You send the entire 21,000 of RMD directly to charity. You give only the remaining amount. In my example, if you're going to give 4000 total, you give the remaining 19 from savings. The total charitable giving still 40. But that 21000 never appears in your taxable income. So what changed? Well, the charity still received the total. The 40 you used 21000 less from savings because the IRA funded that portion. And the tax benefit is that the 21000 never became taxable income. You might say, but don't I lose the charitable deduction? Well, maybe. But that's often not the problem. Uh, and even if you itemize, you give up a charitable deduction on 21,000. But in exchange for that, you don't ever recognize it as income. And remember, that deduction is only on a portion of it, never on the whole thing. So the real advantage of the QCD is keeping your adjusted gross income lower, to not pay the tax on any portion of it, which you would otherwise have to do. Avoid the Irma. Avoid the additional taxation of Social Security benefits. Does that is that clear though, Mike?
S3: Yeah it is. I'm going to think about it a little bit. I'm going to listen to your explanation again. I do appreciate it. Yeah. I do appreciate uh, uh, yeah, it's just, uh, so at the end of the year, I'll, I'll do my income tax as basically as though I didn't even receive a required minimum distribution, basically.
S1: Exactly.
S3: Yeah, yeah, yeah. But then I'll have, but, but then I'll have less charitable giving than I normally have. So I'll have no uh.
S1: You really wouldn't because here's the reality. you could still give the same amount. It's just that, you know, let's pick. So in my example, we were given 40. Maybe it's more than that. But let's say you were planning to give 40,000 to charity. Normally you'd do that out of savings or checking with after tax dollars. I'm just saying if your required minimums 21 and you don't need that money for to live on, let's give. 21 of the 40 through the qualified charitable distribution. And the benefit is we never recognize that as income, meaning we don't have to pay tax on it. And then let's make up the difference. In my example, an additional 19,000, and you write that check from checking instead of the 40. And so the ministry still gets 40. They're just getting it in two checks, one check from the IRA, one check from you. And your real benefit is you satisfied the IRS requirement of the required minimum, but you didn't add a dime to your taxable income, which has multiple benefits.
S3: Okay. You said even had Benefits in coming years as far as my Social Security, Medicare premiums.
S1: Yeah. And your Medicare taxation. Exactly.
S3: Okay. Okay. Well, thank you very much. I appreciate your I appreciate your answer. It's a complicated answer, but it is.
S1: No, I totally get it. And a lot of people look at it and say, wait a minute, don't I get a deduction on that, that charitable contribution from the IRA? No, but you get something even better. It's just never counted as income. It wasn't counted as income. When you put it in, you got a deduction and it's not going to count as income coming out, which means you just got all that tax free growth. Um, and you know, you got a deduction in the very beginning. So it's a real win win. But it takes a little bit of mental gymnastics to get there. Hey God bless you Mike. We appreciate you being on the program today. Let's go to Michigan. Similar question from Susan. Go ahead.
S4: Oh yes. I hope I can articulate this adequately, but here's my question. Okay. I learned last year that if I gave my minimum distribution directly to charity, then they get the whole thing. And I really like that. But, um, here's what I was wondering. Can I give that, um, minimum distribution, like right now in the middle of the year because like I'm giving, uh, churches and things like that something every month, but I would rather just give like a big fat thumb.
S3: Yeah.
S4: Uh, what can I do that.
S1: You sure can. Yeah. You can make qualified charitable distributions at any time during the year, so you don't have to wait until the end of the year. Uh, and you also don't have to spread them out. So essentially, any time during the calendar year, you can make one QCD or several Qcds throughout the year. The only requirement is that you have to have completed at least your required minimum by December 31st, so to count for that tax year and toward that year's RMD, the funds have to leave the IRA and be received by the charity by year end. But if you want to do that starting in January and do it every month and get it done by December 31st, great. If you want to wait and do it, you know, the last couple of weeks of December, don't cut it too close. But as long as that money has been received by the charity by year end, it's going to count toward that year's, uh, required minimum. But they don't really care how many checks you write that in and over what period of time during that calendar year.
S4: Okay. And, um, I guess I don't know exactly what my actual minimum distribution will be, but I can kind of guess what it was. I know what it was last year. So just kind of do it that way.
S1: It's going to be a little higher. Yeah. Normally what happens is your IRA custodian, the company that sends you your statement like Fidelity or Schwab or Vanguard, they typically count. Calculate your R&D each year and make it available online or on your annual statement. So you're going to want to look at your, uh, you know, if you want to do it yourself, you could look at your year end account balance. So your December 31st account balance from the previous year, and then you would look at your IRS life expectancy table from the uniform lifetime table@irs.gov. And basically it's the prior year balance divided by the life expectancy factor. Um, but again, I would look to your IRA custodian because they should provide that number for you.
S4: Okay. All right. Thank you so much.
S1: Okay. Hey, listen, I love this conversation, folks. And by the way, you know, we've been talking about the Moody Global campus. We've been talking about translating these incredible Moody Bible Institute courses into the native tongue of people groups all over the world. If you want to support that, one of the great ways to do that is through a qualified charitable distribution. It comes right out of your IRA, goes to Moody Bible Institute to fund the training of the next generation of pastors all over the globe. Just go to Moody stewardship.org to learn more. A wonderful opportunity. The team would be delighted to talk you through it again. That website, Moody stewardship.org, and a qualified charitable distribution is a great way to give. Never recognize any taxable income and get more into God's kingdom. This is faith and finance live. I'm Rob West. We're taking your questions right after this at 800 525 7000. Great to have you with us today on Faith and Finance Live. I'm Rob West. Well, here in our final segment today, Jerry Boyer is here. Jerry Jerry joins us each Friday. And we talk markets. We talk corporate engagement. Today Jerry the market up slightly. But S&P 500 another record uh strongest week since April. I read earlier today. And that's just kind of been the order of the day. And and I know you and I were talking this morning and it sounds like perhaps this is a reaction to what we used to see move the markets, which was all about the fed. Right?
S5: Yeah. It looks that way to me. Uh, why does it look that way to me? Because, um, when you have bad economic news, especially in regards to employment markets, the fed tends to be dominated by a Keynesian economic framework, which says that, you know, the way to get unemployment down is to create new money, pump it into the system to stimulate things. Right. Uh, so if we have a situation where employment is not doing well and today's jobs report was pretty bad, well, then maybe the Fed's going to be easier. It's not going to tighten the money supply like everyone's been expecting. um, or maybe probably not tighten it as much. So that's the theory. So what does the data say? Well, if you look at the fed funds futures market is basically where people can kind of quote unquote bet on what the interest rate will be by the end of the year. It looks like less hiking, less tightening of the money supply. There's that, uh, in addition, um, the Dow, as opposed to the Nasdaq, Dow is kind of like regular stocks. Uh, Nasdaq is tech stocks a little bit more speculative. That tends to move more when there's easy money. So today the Dow is up a third of a percent. But the Nasdaq is up one and a third percent. Right. So that indicates that it's the easy money speculative part of the market that's moving. The other thing is gold's up, which suggests that the Fed's maybe not going to tighten or not tighten as much. And the dollar is down. So it all kind of amounts to the same thing. Easier money. Why? Because markets are saying, hey, the central bank, they don't follow classical economics. For the most part, they follow Keynesian economics, and they're not going to raise rates if the labor market is is is weak. Now, I don't think that's the way they should think about it. I think the fed should tighten the money supply when there's inflation and loosen the money supply when there's deflation. In other words, it pretty much should have one mandate, one job, protect the value of the currency. But for a long time, it really thinks it has two jobs. One is to fight inflation by slowing the economy down, and the other is to fight slowing down the economy by creating inflation. And you can never win that. You just go back and forth between these two conflicting mandates, which is basically the history of, um, you know, the last 100 years going back to the Great Depression of fed policy.
S1: Yeah. And they're actually making their job harder with the second part of that mandate, right?
S5: Yes, exactly. Uh, because if they, if they stimulate the economy with easy money, well, then they're going to get inflation. You know, what we're seeing is inflation doesn't seem to have been beaten. right. So the fed ought to be fighting inflation. That should be its one focus. As to the jobs market, well, the jobs market is driven by some regulatory problems and trade problems. We do not have a lot of we don't have much of a manufacturing renaissance. I understand we've seen press releases where the president is saying $1 trillion, probably the biggest ever. No one's ever seen numbers this big before of foreign investment. That's fine. But when we actually count the people getting manufacturing jobs, it's not that high. And the reason it's not that high is people are not going to do a lot of hiring or building factories, even in a situation where they don't know what the terms of trade are going to be. They don't know whether we're in a trade war or not, practically from hour to hour. One bright spot we saw in the jobs report today was construction, and that's almost certainly due to the AI build out. Now I know that's a fight right now. We got a culture war over AI like we do over every other thing other. Um. But all I'm saying is pretty much the only thing really rolling in this economy right now. It's not manufacturing, it's not services so much and it's not spending because spending is not what really rolls the economy. It's the result of productivity, not the cause. It doesn't cause spending doesn't cause um, prosperity. Spending is the result of prosperity. The thing that's really moving right now is AI. There's a huge amount of capital expenditure. And like David and I talked about at the conference call, um, the last one, um, almost all new capital expenditures on AI. Um, people say, well, that's a bubble. Well, yeah, well, if you're going to spend it on something, and if you're not going to build regular factories because you don't know whether there's a trade war, because factories depend on imports of commodities and exports of finished goods, you got to spend it somewhere. You got to invest it somewhere. So that's causing money to flow into, say, data center build outs. And I'm all I'm all for it. I'm in western Pennsylvania. We're seeing job growth here, and I like it. But really, I would also like factories. I would like the market to decide where the money goes. And what's pretty clear is the administration favors AI. And although it says it favors manufacturing, it's, um, uncertainty and instability in and around trade patterns really creates an anti manufacturing environment, even if they intend to create a manufacturing environment.
S1: Jerry we've been touting the great, uh, results from the earnings as of late. Most of this year. It's been stronger than expected. Uh, you know, you just said most of the AI boom right now is on the CapEx side. So that means, you know, it's what's to come in the future largely, do you think the productivity enhancements are in part why the earnings have been so good? Or is that really something that is more forward looking? And we've yet to realize that.
S5: I think about half and half. There's clearly productivity gains. We're not seeing them in the traditional productivity numbers, but it might be hard to analyze this. I remember was a Nobel Prize winning economist, New York Times guy. I can't remember his name now, said I see productivity numbers every place from the internet, every place, but in the productivity numbers. Right. Well, the internet turned out to make us productive. Right. A lot of people listening to you right now aren't on. Some weren't a lot on terrestrial radio, but people are also listening on podcasts. Right. And it did make us more productive. And AI is clearly making us more productive. It's a little hard to measure that, but it seems real. But I will say, when companies come out and say, hey, we're cutting jobs because of AI, I think they're mostly saying we're not going to hire as many people in the future because of AI. I'm not saying a lot of active cutting. So I think most of the productivity productivity gains from AI are in the future. And that's going to vary from business to business. But remember, we've been talking about this for a couple of years now. Some of that comes at the expense of somebody else. So if AI is creating new software, you know that companies are like building software internally, then that means they're not going out to Accenture to build the software for them. Right, right, right. So some of it cannibalizes other parts of it. It's not all gain. I'll take it. But there are some trade offs here.
S1: Yeah. Yeah, that makes sense. All right, Jerry, let's turn the corner here. As you gear up for the next engagement season, what are some of the big themes your team is preparing to engage on?
S5: Well AI is certainly going to be part of it. I actually really like the AI productivity gains, but I don't like the AI productivity gains in creating indecent content involving children. That doesn't actually seem like productivity to me. Um, and so that's something we've engaged with in the past and plan to engage with in this upcoming season that, hey, I'm all for data centers. They're helping us do computer programs, helping us organize our spreadsheets and reading X-rays for us, etc., etc. but I don't want them creating, you know, creepy pictures for creepy people to download and make evil plans against their neighbors. And that's not just evil. It's also stupid because the backlash, the regulatory and the litigation, and even the criminal law backlash against that is going to be extreme. Uh, and I think AI needs to realize it's hanging on a thin thread right now in terms of the people being willing to accept it. Um, and if it's creating content, which is morally abhorrent and legally very risky, then that just might really affect their ability to build out the good parts of AI. So we're going to engage on that a lot. We're engaging a lot on companies partnered with the Southern Poverty Law Center, uh, which has used hate group lists in ways that don't really have to do with actual hate groups anymore. It's just Christians. You know, Christians who have standard Christian views are, are, you know, are called hate groups. So also discrimination against churches, uh, in employee gift matching. We're going to talk about that a lot. Discrimination against Christian employee resource groups. That's something we're we're talking about. We're also going to talk about, you know, we've talked about the war on energy in the past. Some green activists have gone after energy companies. Now they're going after food companies. So the sustainability there are people out there who don't think there ought to be 10 billion humans. They think we're at eight. They think maybe there should be two or 3 or 4, and they're planning for a future with a lot less food production. And they're putting pressure on companies to, you know, go all plant based and no, uh, you know, no antibiotics and just a whole lot of things that make it tougher for farmers to actually produce food for us because they think that's sustainable. We don't think that's sustainable. We like more people. People come out of the womb, they're hungry from the very beginning, and they're going to be hungry for their whole lives, and we don't think we ought to be. We don't think that companies ought to be micromanaging how farmers do their thing. So that's going to be an area we're going to be engaging a lot as well. Uh, so, and we've already we've got victories already in the season just started. Microsoft just told us, hey, our employee match program, our gift match program is now open to everybody. Anyone who has a 501 C three so they can give to you, they can give to Moody's. Right? Um, they can give to their church, they can give to their synagogue. And it used to be that they had a whole bunch of screens. It's one of the biggest companies in the world that just changed that. So that's like, that's two weeks ago. We're just starting. Uh, so that's good. You know, so there's a lot going on right now. Um, with these companies. Last year was incredibly productive. This year so far is looking to be even more productive in getting companies just back to focused on your business. Stay out of the culture war, don't discriminate. We're not saying go out there and give all your money to, you know, to ministries, but don't blacklist them. That's crazy. Yeah. Um, just be fair. Um, and turns out a lot of companies are saying, all right. Yeah, I think we just want to be fair and they're responding accordingly.
S1: Perhaps, Jerry, this is the most unknown, understated driver of the future of our culture that the average Christian doesn't even know about. It's the work being done right now in corporate engagement. It's it's a big deal, isn't it?
S5: It is. It's a huge deal. And understated is part of the cost of doing it. If you take too many victory marches, they don't want the companies don't want to participate, don't want to cooperate.
S1: Yeah, that makes sense. Hey, Jerry. Have a great weekend, sir. We'll talk to you next week.
S5: Same to you. God bless.
S1: All right. That's Jerry Bowyer. He's our resident economist. Joins us each Friday on this segment. And I apologize. There's a few questions we didn't get to today. Let's see if we can get you scheduled to be on next week. Big thanks to my team today, the amazing tailor, Tara, Josh and Dan faith in finance lives, a partnership between Moody Radio and Faith. I have a wonderful weekend and then come back and join us next week. We'll see you then. Bye bye.