S1: What did Jesus Christ really say about the very end? How would he have us prepare for the end times coming up the end of the world according to Jesus of Nazareth. We'll talk with prophecy expert Jeff Kinley. Plus, we've got big news out of the Middle East, and our devotional takes us to some real Raiders of the Lost Ark. So join us now for the land and the book with our host, Middle East expert Doctor Charlie Dyer. And I'm John Gieger. Well, Charlie, no exaggeration to say that Israel has really been in the news a lot. And as we know, the Bible is jam packed with end times prophecies about epic world events, the regathering of the Jewish people to their ancient homeland, and Jesus soon returned. It is crucial for us as believers to have a proper understanding of Bible prophecy, it seems to me. So. Our view of the future is shaped by Scripture and not just all the headlines swirling around us.
S2: That's absolutely true, John. With that in mind, our friends at Life in Messiah have published a book titled God, Israel and Bible Prophecy, and they're offering it to listeners of the land in the book for a limited time. This informative book is focused on providing readers with a deeper understanding and greater appreciation of what God has in store for Israel and the nations by digging into what the scriptures say about these issues. Now, if you're interested in learning more about what God has in store, visit Life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button there to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: Major headlines this week from the Middle East. On Wednesday, Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh was assassinated in a missile strike in Tehran. Charlie, was Israel behind the strike and what implications does all this have for the war against Hamas?
S2: Yeah, this was a real shocker. Haniyeh was in Tehran participating in the inauguration ceremony for Iran's new president. Now it's almost certain Israel was behind the strike after October 7th. They said the leadership of Hamas were dead men walking. This shows they met what they said, and it's a major blow against Hamas. The strike is also a warning to other leaders of Hamas and to Iran and its allies. You know, they're trying to figure out how Israel was even able to target Haniyeh in the capital of Iran. A short term, Iran will try to retaliate against Israel. Israel is ratcheting up its defenses, including security for its own leaders, and a hostage deal with Hamas is likely back on hold. But this strike demonstrates to everyone in the region that Israel is serious when it says that it will go after those who seek to harm them, and that their reach can extend as far away as Tehran.
S1: Last weekend, Hezbollah fired a missile at Israel that killed 12 children playing soccer in a Druze town on the Golan Heights. Since then, what have we learned about that attack? And could this lead to an even broader war in the region?
S2: Yeah, this is the first of those two major attacks that Israel brought. Now, let me give you some background. Majdal Shams is a Druze town on the Golan Heights. The Druze are an Arab minority who are an offshoot of Islam, but who consider themselves distinct from Islam. The missile was fired from a Lebanese village on the slopes of Mount Hermon. Hezbollah fired it. They since have denied firing the rocket, but parts were recovered containing markings that show it was manufactured in Iran. What's not known is why Hezbollah would fire a missile at this town or at the Druze. It's possible that the targeting data fed into the missile was an error, but we simply don't know. We do know the attack brought worldwide condemnation across the political spectrum. In Israel, leaders were calling for retaliation against Hezbollah for the brutal attack. Western powers, including the United States, condemned the attack. But we also began pressuring Israel not to respond in a way that could expand the conflict. Iran also warned Israel that there would be, quote, consequences to any major response. Israel did respond by targeting Hezbollah's senior commander, Fouad Shuker. He was Hezbollah's most senior military commander and their chief advisor for planning and directing wartime operations. The U.S. had a $5 million bounty on his head because of his involvement back in the 1983 bombing of the U.S. marine barracks in Beirut. Now, much like what Iran has done, Hezbollah has vowed revenge. But just like with the attack on Hindiya, the fact Israel could locate and target Shuker has their leadership looking over their shoulders with some concern.
S1: You're listening to The Land and the book from Moody Radio. Our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer, noted Middle East scholar, is helping us understand current events from the week based in the Middle East. Well, the US, Israel and China appear to be offering competing views of what the future should look like for Gaza and the area currently controlled by the Palestinian Authority. How do they differ and what might happen in the coming months?
S2: Well, this might temporarily take a back seat to events there with Hezbollah and with Iran. But all of these groups have their own vision of what should come next. The US wants to establish a post-war Gaza peacekeeping force involving troops from the United Arab Emirates and perhaps Egypt, that will be outfitted and trained by the US. The current administration also wants to re-energise the Palestinian Authority, to unify the West Bank and Gaza Strip in preparation for the establishment of a Palestinian state. Israel's goals don't match those of the US. They don't envision a fully independent Palestinian state, which they believe would end up being controlled by Islamic fundamentalists like Hamas, who would turn the entire area into an even larger version of Hamastan, as they've called it. Israel is less clear on what a semi-autonomous region might look like, though it would apparently involve Palestinian leadership. Without the corruption of the current Palestinian Authority or the Islamic fundamentalism of Hamas. One name that's been floated is former Gaza based security chief Mohammed Dahlan, who has been living in the United Arab Emirates since Hamas expelled the Palestinian Authority from Gaza. On the surface, he would seem to be acceptable to many Palestinians as well as to the West. But Dylan has consistently said he would not take on such a role and frankly, no other candidate has surfaced. Now, to compound it all, China's involvement right now seems to be an attempt to undermine the role of the U.S. they hosted 14 Palestinian groups in Beijing that signed a declaration agreeing to end their divisions and form a unity government. The goal is to be the establishment of a Palestinian state covering all the pre 1967 territory. Now, this might be popular in many countries around the world, but it totally ignores Israel's concerns. So what's going to happen? Well, it depends on a number of things. The outcome of Israel's war with Hamas, the current impact of what's happening in both Lebanon with Hezbollah and with Iran, the ability of the Palestinians to unify and to some extent, the outcome of our own election in November. And right now, the results of all of those are very unclear.
S1: Archaeologists announced the discovery of a massive fortification that protected the kings of Jerusalem. What exactly was uncovered and how accurate is their interpretation of this discovery, Charlie?
S2: Well, archaeologists uncovered a large moat, or channel that appears to have been dug across the northern end of the original city of David to separate it from the Temple Mount area, Mount Moriah, further north. This dry moat was 30ft deep and extends 2 to 300ft along that northern edge, having been cut through solid rock. Now, it divided the original city from the area to the north, where the royal palace and the temple would have been located. This is a remarkable discovery, but I think we need to take the interpretation being given at least the preliminary one with just a bit of skepticism, at least for right now. I can't argue with the discovery itself. The trench was discovered on the west side, and seems to connect to a depression on the eastern side of the city that was actually found by Kathleen Kenyon about 80 years ago. The issue I have is with the scriptures that these archaeologists are using, and the date being given to help explain the find. Now, here's what I mean. Archaeologists are dating the find to the time of King Josiah. He reigned from 640 to 609 BC. To put that in perspective, Jeremiah began to prophesy in the 13th year of King Josiah. But the archaeologists suggested the biblical support for the discovery can be found in First Kings 1127, which describes how Solomon built the Milo and closed up the breach of the city of his father, David. Now Solomon reigned from 970 to 931 B.C. that's 300 years before the date given to the find. And that verse says, Solomon built up the structure and closed the breach, which is the opposite of digging the structure and creating the breach. So we have evidence for a moat or a trench dug during the time of the Kingdom of Judah. But we don't have clear biblical evidence telling us who dug the trench or why it was dug. Now, I suspect it may take several more years of excavations before archaeologists begin to work out all those details. And in the meantime, we can say that a motor trench has been found, but we don't know who dug it or why.
S1: An Israeli startup has developed a robotic hospital worker that, uh, never calls in sick. And that could help alleviate a growing shortage of workers. Tell us about unlimited robotics in Amazing Israel.
S2: Unlimited robotics has developed. Gary. It's designed to do multiple tasks that take up health care staff's time. Now, there have been a lot of robots before, but Gary can mop floors, clean and sanitize rooms, deliver food trays, fetch linens and medical devices, but also engage geriatric patients in conversations. Spot telltale signs in patients showing a risk of falling. Be an interpreter. Provide real time translation between patients and medical professionals. Record conversations, provide transcripts and add them to medical files. Keep an eye out for broken windows on authorized personnel or anything else out of the ordinary, and summon security or maintenance. Now that's just some of what Gary does. Now, this isn't a concept for the future. A fleet of Gary Robots is already on the job in two major Israeli hospitals and a hospital in Philadelphia. You just think someday you might find yourself in the hospital when a nice robot ambles in, bringing you your supper, pausing to see how you feel and perhaps swapping a story or two with you. And when that happens, you can thank unlimited robotics and amazing Israel.
S1: And that's a look at current events from the Middle East with our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer. Fascinating segment coming up. What Jesus Christ really said about the very end here on the land.
UU: And the book.
S1: Why talk about end times doomsday subjects? Short answer because Jesus Christ talked about them and he did so in great detail. For that reason alone, you and I should pay attention. And as we rapidly approach the last days, his message is more relevant to us than ever. Welcome to segment two of the land and the book. I'm John Gager. We're about to look at what Jesus own teachings reveal about the last days. But right now, let's zero in on Jesus very last command to every one of us. And that's making disciples. How can we more effectively reach out to our Jewish friends with the good news of Jesus? Here's an idea finding Messiah in unexpected places. Wouldn't you love for your Jewish friend to find him? Well, let's sit down with Michael Riedel and let him kind of take us on a bit of a tour. What would you say, Michael?
S3: Well, there's one passage in particular that I found interesting. I was on a translation team for a Bible, and I was given the book of Joel to do the initial translation before the team got to work on it, and we weren't allowed to look at the English Bible. And so I was translating Joel in verse 23. I translated it quite differently than most English Bibles. In the English Bible. It says, Children of Zion, rejoice and be glad in the Lord your God, because he gives you the autumn rain for your vindication. But in Hebrew it doesn't say that at all. It says, rejoice, because he gives you the teacher for righteousness. That's what it says. And it's the phrase that the Qumran Dead Sea Scroll community, they took that for their leader, the teacher of righteousness. But it actually is a promise that the Messiah would come and he would be our teacher for righteousness. Our morality is what the Hebrew says. And I was so surprised when I saw that. And there's actually an article in the handbook showing how this is great messianic prophecy.
S1: To my friend who says, well, that's nice, but I think you're reading too much into it. What do you say?
S3: Ah, I'm reading it in the Hebrew. Not too much into it. I'm reading it in the initial uh, with the text is in the original language. And, uh, that's so important not to read into it, but to read it for what the text actually says.
S1: Michael Ray Dolnick is professor of Jewish studies at Moody Bible Institute, joining us today on The land and the book. Jeff Kinley is a best selling author and speaker whose mission is to empower people with God's vintage truth, helping them discern the times and to become influencers for Jesus Christ. He's the author of 40 books and a frequent speaker at churches and conferences. Our conversation today is based on his new release, The End of the World According to Jesus of Nazareth. You intrigued? I am. Hey, welcome back to the land and the book, Jeff.
S4: Thanks, John, so much.
S1: Well, seems to me that if we're quoting Jesus on the End Times or any subject, we have the definitive authority on the future. Why, then, do so many prophecy discussions tend to veer away from the source?
S4: Well, I think part of it is just because people think it's irrelevant, they kind of push it to the end of their conversations. They're going to push it out of their mind. No one wants to think about the end of the world, that type of thing. And yet, with current events and with all this going on globally and geopolitically, it's sort of hard to ignore these days. So more and more people, I think, are waking up to the fact that we need to pay attention to what Christ and the scriptures say about the end times.
S1: It's easy, though, to get lost in the minutia, the details, the imagery. And I think sometimes we do that as opposed to the very thing you're doing here, putting a spotlight on the end of the world according to Jesus. Your thoughts?
S4: Yeah, exactly. I just wanted to write a book to make sure that we heard from the Lord himself, and really to be able to see the end times through the eyes of Jesus Christ. I actually flew to Jerusalem and just spent a time there researching, sitting on the Mount of Olives, seeing what Christ would have seen at that time. And, you know, it's interesting what Christ says. Some of the things he says are very, very shocking because people don't study these passages in depth, as you mentioned. And so I think it's important for us to get back to the basics to see exactly what Christ said.
S1: Your book looks specifically at the Olivet Discourse. That's what it's called recorded in Matthew's gospel. And some listeners might be saying, the Olivet. What? What are we referring to here?
S5: Yeah, it.
S4: Took place in the last week of Christ's earthly ministry. Here it was on a Wednesday afternoon, late afternoon. Christ took a couple of his disciples, sat down on the Mount of Olives, and they had asked him earlier, Lord, what's going to be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age? And so Christ basically unpacks a lot of the book of revelation for us in this Olivet Discourse. He wanted his disciples to know and to be confident about what would take place in the end times.
S1: What Jesus own teachings reveal about the last days. That's our topic here at the land and the book. I'm John Geiger, joined today by Jeff Kinley, who has written The End of the World According to Jesus of Nazareth. It seems like a remarkable book end that Christ would share so much about the end times and his ultimate return from the very mountain where his feet will touch your thoughts.
S4: Yeah, exactly. Zechariah tells us that Christ is going to come back and his feet are going to touch the Mount of Olives. It's interesting because that's exactly where he ascended from in acts chapter one. And the angel said this same Jesus will return in the same way. And so as Christ was raptured up to heaven, the Bible says he'll come back at the end of time in revelation 19, and his feet will touch the Mount of Olives that will split in half. Interesting, John. Geologists have found a fault line running exactly through the Mount of Olives that would split the Mount of Olives exactly as Zechariah prophesied. So, you know, once again, we're ramping up, accelerating toward those days, but we're not there yet.
S1: You suggest that understanding Christ's words in their original context offers insights that we might otherwise be missing. Give us an example.
S4: Yeah, exactly. One example would just be when Jesus talks about it'll be like the days of Noah when he returns and he goes on to say that that one will be in the field and one will be taken, the other will be left, two women will be grinding at the mill, one will be taken, the other be left. I think famously we've understood that as being the rapture there as being taken up in the rapture. But the context in this passage points to those being taken. Being taken away in judgment and the saved are the ones that are left behind to go into his millennial kingdom. So there's a lot of misunderstanding. I think sometimes we read what we want to hear in Christ's words, but studying in its original Jewish context yields a greater understanding.
S1: What's another insight that you picked up on as you worked through the cultural context of Christ's Olivet discourse? Anything come to mind?
S5: Yeah, another one.
S4: Was just, uh, Christ's illustration of the fig tree. He says, uh, when the fig tree, uh, his branch becomes tender, you know, it puts forth its leaves. You know that summer is near. Even so, when you see all these things, recognize he is at the door. And then he says, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. And, you know, again, typically people say, well, it's the generation of when Israel becomes a nation again. So it must be 40 years. And then that passed and then they moved it up to 60 and the 80 years. But I think in the context he's saying he's talking about the tribulation generation because he says those who see these things, these tribulation events happening, that generation will not pass away. In other words, it's not going to go on indefinitely. But there's a time stamp on the seven year tribulation. And so Christ wanted them to know that these disciples who will go through these, these hard times and the tribulation, that it won't last forever.
S1: Jeff Kinley is a best selling author and speaker whose mission is to empower people to discern the times and to become influencers for Jesus Christ. You know, I think we do need some influencers for Jesus Christ. We got influencers for all kinds of 100 billion different things on social media, where the influencers for Christ, but I digress. Jeff is the author of 40 books and is a frequent speaker at churches and conferences. It's a pleasure to talk with him today on the land and the book. How do Christ's words in Matthew clarify what he requires for our salvation?
S5: Well, I think one.
S4: Of the things he says, he talks about being prepared, he talks about being alert. And certainly these are things that every person needs to pay attention to. In fact, you know, some 41% of Americans believe we're living in the end times. And so as we see things ramp up towards these days that Christ spoke of, I think there needs to be a self-inventory. And Jesus said, you need to be prepared so that you can actually miss this coming judgments that are coming on the earth. And so Jesus points us to his crucifixion. And in chapter 26 and so we have this this, um, really cross centered narrative at the end of the Olivet Discourse afterwards. And so Christ wants everyone to be prepared, but most of all, he wants them to be saved.
S1: Okay. Apart from being saved, which is the ultimate preparation, do you think there is a single focus, a single thing that many believers are overlooking and and therefore leaves them unprepared or ill prepared?
S4: I think the overarching thing, John, is just a lack of biblical discernment today among Christians in the church. I mean, there's Barna did a study where he found out that less than 10% of Christians read their Bibles every day. And of course, you have a lot of self-help churches and that type of thing that are going on. So we're not really getting deep into the scriptures or even into the scriptures on a daily basis. So I would say biblical discernment, because that feeds into everything we do, how we live, how we view the world, humanity, our own lives, our mortality. And so discernment is very important. And that can't come unless we get into God's Word.
S1: Lots of times, believers get caught up in the gloom and doom that we see in future events, but that you say that prophecy, specifically Christ's message in Matthew, is designed to give us hope. Elaborate.
S5: Yeah, it really does.
S4: I mean, Christ tells us he's coming back at the end. He's coming to set up his kingdom. He's coming to bring in a whole new world. And so for believers, there's really nothing but hope in the future. We may go through hard times. Now, these tribulation believers may go through hard times, but in the end, Christ is going to reward them because he comes back as King Jesus to set the world right and to rule and reign with justice and peace.
S1: But we can't be mere fact finders and collectors of theological trinkets. In Matthew, Jesus calls us to get ready. What's another way we can get ready for Christ's return?
S4: I think one way the bride can get ready is just to purify herself. You know, Jesus talked about the rapture in John 14. First, John also tells us in chapter three that anyone who has this hope of Christ's return in them purifies himself, just like a bride gets ready for a wedding event. So there's a sense of personal internal preparation, our love for Christ, our devotion to him, our passion for his mission as he mentioned earlier, to make disciples while we can, in the time that God's allotted to us, and so preparing ourselves, our hearts, and also helping to prepare others.
S1: Hey, thanks for being part of the land and the book. I'm John Gager talking today with Jeff Kinley, who has written The End of the World According to Jesus of Nazareth. Well, there's certainly no shortage of interest in end times events in our day. Do you see this as largely working for our good, or is there so much error and emotional frenzy going on that we're actually doing ourselves a disservice?
S5: Well, I think the key.
S4: Is to listen to trusted voices for each believer to get into the word for him or herself, because, you know, there's a there's a lot of noise out there, a lot of white noise about the end times. And so that's why I wrote this book to hear exactly from the mouth of Jesus Christ, what it's going to be like and what he said we need to do.
S1: You know, I think every every generation ebbs and flows on things. There was a period of time, say, 30 years ago, 40 years ago, maybe prophecy was a huge thing. Then it cooled off. It's huge. Now there's another shift I'm seeing, and I'd like for you to say, nah, I'm not seeing that. Or would you confirm it? There appears to me, anyway, to be a shift away from a pre-tribulational view of Christ's return. What do you say?
S4: Well, there certainly is a camp in Christendom that goes away from the pre-trib view. And I think part of it is due to the fact that people think it's just a doctrine of escapism, or maybe it's a recent doctrine of that type of thing. But what I'm seeing is more and more remnant believers. Really, not all the nation, but all over the world begin to rise up and say, look, we need to find out what God's Word really says about this. And it's not about just getting out of hard times. It's about escaping God's wrath. And so while there are those out there, I think that would attack the preacher of rapture. In fact, John, I would say this is that the most attacked prophetic doctrine is the pre-tribulational rapture really the fact that Christ rescues us before we will be delivered from the wrath to come? And for some reason it's a credit. There's a lot of vitriol, anger about the pre-trib rapture. But but it's a it's a doctrine of hope. I mean, Titus 213 calls it our blessed hope. Uh, there's multiple passages all throughout the New Testament that tell the early church to be eagerly awaiting and anticipating to have that Maranatha spirit about Christ's return at any moment. And that really is the doctrine of imminency. And so I think that hope really gives us a sense of purpose. A sense of motivation really inspires us day by day, because we never know when Christ shall return.
S1: Describe one small slice of prophetic events that sobers you the most, or maybe gives you the most chills.
S5: Well, I think.
S4: I was just in Belgium. I was just in Brussels. I went to the European Union there and visited there And such a dark place. I think globalism is one of the biggest dark movements that we see, sort of the storm clouds on the horizon. We see the world coming together. It's shrinking together. Calls for world government, a one world coalition of governments has never been more stronger than it is right now. So that is something obviously, Daniel chapter two, chapter seven, revelation 1317. They all prophesy a one world government in the last days. And so I think that's the thing I'm seeing happen along, of course, with Israel, what's going on in Israel. But but sort of an ominous cloud. I would point to a one world.
S5: Government in.
S1: 30s. How would you suggest we could be better students of prophecy and best use resources like you've created?
S4: Well, that's a great question. I would say, number one is that we have to be serious about what God says in His Word. God gave us 66 books of the Bible, and he closed it with a book that is 95% prophecy. So obviously God wants his people to know what's going to happen. So dig into the word for yourself, get into God's Word, let it get into you, and then find some trusted voices, some scholarly voices on prophecy that you can study so that you can be confident and live with clarity and hope in these days.
S1: Jeff, we always appreciate the content that you bring. Thank you for being a part of the land in the book, John.
S4: My pleasure. God bless.
S1: Don't go away. Charlie Dyer is back with a look at your Bible questions, and I think you'll find the answers quite stimulating. It's all ahead here on the land and the book. Questions and answers. That's what this next segment is all about. Welcome back to the land and the book. Questions about something you've read in the Bible. Questions about something that has entered into your head as you've pondered the greatness of our God. Questions about the Middle East and prophecy. They're all welcome, all fair game, and you'll probably hear some of all of those as we chat ahead with our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer. Your Bibles open, I see. Charlie. You ready for this?
S2: I'm ready. John.
S1: Well, first this thought, though Israel has been in the news a lot over the past year. And of course, the Bible is jam packed with end times prophecies about epic world events, the regathering of the Jewish people to their ancient homeland. And and of course, Jesus soon returned. So I think it's crucial for us as believers to have a proper understanding of Bible prophecy. So our view of the future is shaped by Scripture, not today's headlines. Right, Charlie?
S2: That's right. John. And with this in mind, our friends at Life and Messiah have published a book titled God, Israel and Bible Prophecy, and they're offering it to listeners of the land in the book for a limited time. This informative book is focused on providing readers with a deeper understanding and greater appreciation of what God has in store for Israel and the nations by digging into what the scriptures say about these issues. Now, if you're interested in learning more about what God has in store, visit Life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button there to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: And as we begin our Q and A segment today, a couple of questions about Samuel, one of my favorite Old Testament characters, Todd wants to know, should Samuel have been involved with a sacrifice at a high place mentioned in first Samuel nine?
S2: Well, and actually, I don't see a problem there. In fact, in several cases, Samuel offered sacrifices at high places. I don't see a problem in any of them for two reasons. First, there was no tabernacle at this time. It had apparently been destroyed by the Philistines shortly after the battle where they captured the Ark of the covenant. That's in first Samuel four and five. Uh, we know the different parts of the tabernacle were scattered, probably at the same time. Uh, the table of showbread, or Bread of the presence ended up at Nob, just north of Jerusalem. That's first Samuel 21 and the altar of sacrifice. And the tent itself ended up at Gibeon. Uh, we know from First Kings three and first Chronicles 21, now, without a central place of worship, it appears that God did allow individuals to worship at different locations, and a second reason, though, is in the larger context, it appears Samuel was acting under God's authority and with God's blessing. You know, two chapters earlier, Samuel gathered all Israel to Mizpah. In first Samuel seven it says, he took a lamb, offered it as a whole, burnt offering to the Lord. And he cried out to the Lord on behalf of Israel. And the Lord answered him. In response, God enabled Israel to defeat the Philistines. And that chapter ends by describing the circuit traveled by Samuel every year as a judge. At the end of each circuit, he returned to his home in Ramah. And it says, and he built an altar there to the Lord. In fact, it's not presented as a negative action on his part, but an affirmation that he was functioning as a godly judge. And it was that altar and Rama, which was probably the high place where he encountered Saul. In that passage you're asking about in chapter nine.
S1: Quick question by way of follow up, was Samuel from the tribe of Levi?
S2: Yeah. Fascinating question, actually, based on first Samuel one one, people reading it would say, well, yeah, it looks like it. You know, his father Elkanah, was from the tribe of Ephraim. At least that's what it looks like, since it says he was from the hill country of Ephraim. However, everything's not as it might first appear. Apparently Elkanah was a Levite whose family had been assigned a tribal allotment in the general territory of Ephraim. Elkanah's hometown, which was later said to be Samuel's hometown, was Ramah. Now and here's why I say all this. In First Chronicles six, verses 22 to 28, the writer traces the descendants of Kohath down through several generations of individuals named Elkanah, until he reaches Samuel and his two sons. Now that passage makes it very clear Samuel was from the tribe of Levi Through Levi's son, Kohath.
S1: You're listening to the land and the book with our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer. Questions and answers. Our theme. This segment, David asks, Will the new earth that the Lord creates after the thousand year reign of Christ, as stated in revelation 21, include a new land of Canaan or Promised land based on the multiple times God promised the patriarchs that he would give them the land for an everlasting possession, it would seem to make that conclusion. Can you confirm or maybe correct my thinking here?
S2: Yeah, I have to start by saying, I don't know if the Bible provides us with enough information for a definitive answer. So what I would tell my classes when I was teaching is take this now with a grain of salt. Peter describes in Second Peter three the new heavens and new earth. And he says, the heavens are going to disappear. You know, the elements will be destroyed by fire. The earth and everything in it laid bare. And then he talks about, we'll look forward to a new heaven and new earth, the home of righteousness. But it sounds like the physical land of Israel. Indeed, the physical land of all the earth is going to be destroyed and replaced with something entirely new. The physical boundaries of the original land included, for example, on the west side, the Mediterranean Sea. That's numbers 34 in Ezekiel 47 mentioned that, but in the new heavens and new earth, it says in revelation 21, there will no longer be a sea. So in essence, that western boundary disappears. So at the same time, I do believe God will continue to fulfill his promises to all believers, Jewish and Gentile. Uh, we don't know how all those details are going to work out, but I would say in in the reality that God is God, God keeps his promises. And I believe that. And I believe the reality that when we get there, we're going to understand it. It all makes perfect sense.
S1: Math meets genealogy in this next question from David was Abraham 58 years old when Noah died? I've never heard anyone teach on the possibility that Abraham may have had personal knowledge about Noah. Genesis nine states he lived 350 years after the flood. You count up the years listed in the genealogy of his first firstborn son, Shem to Abraham in Genesis 11. And I think it totals 292 years. Your thoughts?
S2: Yeah, and I love this. I love the the genealogies, but I know the average person listening goes, what? I can't figure that out. But here's what I would say. I think there was an overlap. I think the genealogies can be tallied up in a certain way. But there's one problem in Genesis 1126 when it says, after Terah had lived 70 years, he became the father of Abraham, Nahor and Haran. We tend to assume this is describing Terah's age when Abram was born, but I don't believe that's the case. Abram's likely listed first there because he ends up becoming the focus of the whole story, but there are several details that suggest he wasn't the firstborn son. Though listed last, Terah's son Haran appears to be the oldest for two reasons. Other family connections make more sense if he's the firstborn. For example, his son lot was old enough to apparently become his father's heir and travel with Abram into the land, and also Haran's daughter Milcah was old enough to become the wife of Nahor, the other brother of Abram. Uh, second. The other chronological details suggest Abram wasn't the firstborn. Tara began having children at the age of 70. It says in chapter 11 he died at the age of 205, in chapter 11, verse 32. Now Abram was 75 years old when he left Haran to go to the Promised Land following Tara's death. That means Tara was 130 when Abram was born. That's 60 years after the birth of his first son. So the bottom line if my calculations are correct, then Noah would have died about six years after Abram was born. It's still an overlap, but not the 58 years.
S1: All right, here's a technical question. Stay with us. Mary asks F.F. Bruce in the Tyndale Commentary on Romans, quotes Calvin concerning Romans five, verses 14 through 20, that the many can by no means be a minority, and he quotes Calvin that the grace of Christ belongs to a greater number than the condemnation contracted by the first man. Calvin reasoned that if Adam's fall had the effect of producing the ruin of many, the grace of God is much more efficacious in benefiting many, since, admittedly, Christ is much more powerful to save than Adam was to ruin. How can that be? Does this mean that infant mortality or abortion caused the number of the elect to be greater? Otherwise, it seems that the vast majority of people don't belong to the Lord. And Charlie, I'm confused.
S2: Well, yeah, it's a technical question. I would say, though I don't think they were referring to abortions or other young children. What I do think is going on is this those final words of Calvin that Bruce quotes. He really says if Adam's fall had the effect of producing the ruin of many, the grace of God is much more efficacious in benefiting many, since admittedly, Christ is much more powerful to save than Adam was to ruin. So he's really saying it's greater in the sense that getting ruined people saved is much more difficult than getting innocent people ruined, which is what Adam did. The second, though I'm not sure either one would contradict the words of Jesus in Matthew seven. They both were very committed to the scriptures, and in Matthew seven Jesus said, why does the gate broad is the way that leads to destruction, and many enter there. But small is the gate, and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
S1: Greg says I saw an article on a discovery in Egypt called the El Arish Stone that was discovered in 1887. The article said the stone included detailed references to the Exodus written from the perspective of the pharaoh. Does this discovery prove the biblical account of the Exodus?
S2: Well, there's a group called the associates for Biblical Research that have really debunked this piece of evidence, along with several other so-called pieces of evidence. Now, since the associates for Biblical Research is a conservative group, they hold to a literal early exodus. I take their criticism seriously. That article can be found at their website. So if you go to associates for Biblical Research, search for Debunking the Exodus Decoded. I do believe in a literal early Exodus, but just like this organization, I want to make sure we guard against uncritically believing, as we might call it today, fake news, even when it appears to support what we really believe.
S1: Well, maybe all these questions you've heard today have spurred within you a desire to get an answer to something that's been kind of nagging at you. You can easily do that if you'll email us the land and the book@moody.edu is how you connect the land and the book@moody.edu. As always, when you're writing, we love hearing you share how God has used the program in your life. Nothing wrong with letting us know that. Thank you for doing that. Up next, Charlie's devotional. It's our fourth and final segment. You don't want to miss it. More to come here on Moody Radio's The Land and the book. Here at the land of the book. We love getting your email, your thoughts about the program, how it impacts you and you can connect any time. By the way, at the land and the book@moody.edu. John Gager hanging out with our host Charlie Dyer and Charlie. One of the comments that we hear, I think more often than anything else is how much people appreciate your devotionals. In this fourth segment, you've got an interesting new series you're starting today. Tell us about it.
S2: I do, I want to start a five week series. I'm calling the famous 3/16 of the Bible.
S1: 3/16 of the Bible. We'll get to the first of those after this Holy Land experience.
S6: Hi, my name is Patty and I'm here in the Holy Land. And I think what struck me the most was how small Israel is, but how safe I felt and how Doctor Dyer took us around the Sea of Galilee. And I think the most wonderful moment for me was coming into Jerusalem. And our driver played the song Oh Holy City. And for me, that was my big moment, because I'd been praying about it for a year.
S7: This is Randall, and this is my second time in Israel. What has fascinated me on this trip is to be in a country of Judaism and Arabic community. And the gospel, I think, is preached more times here per square foot in a single day than anywhere else in the world. For it to be a non-Christian country, if you consider all of the church groups, Bible groups, busloads of tourists and guides that talk about Jesus Christ throughout the day in this country in all points of the country, it is amazing.
S1: I'm looking forward to today's thought. You're taking us to the book of Jeremiah for the first of your sixteens.
S2: That's right John, we all know John 316, but there are a number of other fascinating verses with that same street address, so to speak, in other books of the Bible. My goal is to take you on a journey of discovery into some of those other destinations over the next several weeks. Today's journey finds us in Jerusalem. At the time of the prophet Jeremiah. Jeremiah is often called the weeping prophet because he talks about his eyes overflowing with tears, and he had a lot to cry about. He was one of the prophets sent by God to the nation of Judah to announce its destruction because of sin. Jeremiah desperately called on the people to repent and turn back to God. Sadly, they rejected God, his message, and the prophet who delivered it. In chapter three, we find Jeremiah wandering the streets of Jerusalem, announcing God's final warning return faithless Israel, declares the Lord. The nation had wandered far from God, and he was calling on them to reverse course and come back before it was too late. In calling on the people to repent, Jeremiah begins to paint a picture of hope and blessing for those in the future who come back to the Lord. God promises to bring a remnant back to Zion and to give them shepherds after my own heart, who will lead you with knowledge and understanding. As Jeremiah gazes with prophetic eyes into the future, he utters his famous 316 in those days when your numbers have increased greatly in the land, declares the Lord, men will no longer say, the ark of the covenant of the Lord. It will never enter their minds or be remembered. It will not be missed, nor will another one be made. And there it is. Jeremiah 316 and his prediction about the Ark of the covenant. Now, I suspect some of you are already starting to hum the theme song for Raiders of the Lost Ark, but Jeremiah's real life prediction is more exciting than even the Hollywood magic of Steven Spielberg. To set the stage, let's briefly review the history of the Ark of the Covenant on Mount Sinai. God himself gave Moses the plans for the Tabernacle. And included in those plans was this gold covered box, or ark, with its mercy seat cover, guarded by two golden cherubim. And above the ark is where God's Shekinah glory dwelt, displaying his visible presence among his people. The Ark was inside the Holy of Holies when the children of Israel moved through the desert and the tabernacle was disassembled, the ark was not on display in numbers four. God gave specific commands for its transport. In verse five, the priests were to first take down the veil to the Holy of Holies and cover the ark with it. Then the kohathites were to carry it using the poles attached to the side. And in verse 20 God adds another stern reminder. But the kohathites must not go in to look at the holy things, even for a moment, or they will die. That reminder helps explain a sad tale during the time of Samuel, the sons of Eli, the high priest, carried the ark into battle with the Philistines, and it was captured everywhere it went. God sent his judgment on the Philistine cities. The Philistines eventually sent it back to Israel, and it came to the town of Beit Shemesh when it first arrived. First Samuel six says, when the people looked up and saw the ark, they rejoiced at the sight. But the joyous event had a tragic ending. God struck down some of the men of Beit Shemesh, putting 70 of them to death because they had looked into the Ark of the Lord. And we might think God was being a bit harsh here after all. Maybe they were just checking to make sure the Philistines hadn't taken anything out of the ark. But a more detailed study leads to a very different conclusion. Who were these men of Beit Shemesh who looked into the ark? In Joshua 2116, the city of Beit Shemesh was assigned to the descendants of Aaron the priest. These were the very people to whom God had given detailed instructions on how to handle the Ark and the other items of furniture. They deliberately disobeyed God, and he judged them for that disobedience. The Ark eventually made its way into Jerusalem at the time of King David, and into the Holy of Holies in the new temple built by David's son, Solomon. But all was not well jumping forward in history, we come to the time of King Manasseh. Second Chronicles 33 records his idolatrous reign in short statements that must have seemed like spiritual gut punches to the righteous remnant in Judah. He built pagan altars in the temple of the Lord. In both courts of the temple he built altars to all the starry hosts. He took the carved image he made and put it in God's temple. Though I can't prove it, I suspect this was when the Ark of the covenant was spirited out of the temple by faithful priests to keep it from being desecrated. Good King Josiah eventually followed Manasseh and his equally wicked son Ammon to the throne, and he began to purge Judah and Jerusalem. Of all the high places. Asherah poles carved idols and cast images, and to repair the temple of the Lord and his actions help explain an otherwise obscure verse in Second Chronicles 35. Put the sacred ark in the temple that Solomon's son of David, King of Israel, built. It is not to be carried about on your shoulders. Apparently the Ark of the covenant had been carried about from place to place, like a fugitive seeking to avoid capture, but now it was to be put back in its rightful place. And that's the last mention of the original Ark of the covenant made by Moses. So what happened to it? Ezekiel offers a clue. While in captivity in Babylon, Ezekiel had a vision in which he saw the glory of the Lord move to the threshold of the temple. It then stopped briefly at the east gate before departing from Jerusalem by way of the Mount of Olives. Once God's glory departed from the city, the Ark of the covenant was nothing more than a gold covered box. So what happened to the Ark? Well, theories abound. It's buried under the temple. It's hidden in the wilderness. Or somewhere in Jordan. It's in Ethiopia. It's in a warehouse in Washington, DC. I believe it was taken along with the other temple treasures to Babylon, where it was likely destroyed and melted down. And that's why God gave this message to Jeremiah. In future years, they won't need or try to remake or even remember the Ark of the covenant. It won't be needed in God's ultimate plan. And that's why in the Holy of Holies at the time of Jesus, as Josephus wrote, there was nothing at all. It was gone. So what does Jeremiah 316 and the Ark of the covenant have to do with us today? Well, first I see a lesson on the importance of obedience. God gave instructions on how the ark was to be handled, and he held those to whom he gave those instructions accountable to obey. God's word isn't just a book of suggestions. It contains instructions from a holy God explaining how his followers need to live to honor him. But I see a second lesson in the promise God gave in Jeremiah 316. And that's the importance of distinguishing between the symbol and the reality it represents. The ark was a visible reminder of God's presence among his people, but it was God's presence that made it important. When God's glory departed from the temple in Jerusalem, the ark became nothing more than a gold box. Jeremiah 316 was a reminder to look beyond the physical symbol, to realize the reality was God's presence above the box that made it truly significant. The Ark won't be needed in the future, because God's glory in the incarnate presence of His Son will be there. And when we see Jesus, that old gold covered box just won't be that important.
S1: Thank you. Charlie. The first of 3/16 of the Bible. Interesting insights. Time always goes by too quickly. But before we go, I'd like to point you to our website where you can hear the whole program again or share it as a podcast with a friend. You know, that website, the Land and the book.org? That's the land and the book org. We'll be back next week, Lord willing, with another edition of The Land and the book, a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.