S1: Isn't it amazing that people who generally don't get along get along when it comes to not getting along with you? Isn't it amazing how folk that don't like each other can find a common ground when it's time to come against you?
S2: You're listening to Treasure Truth with pastor and author James Ford, junior senior pastor of the Christ Bible Church in Chicago. I'm Steve Hiller. Glad you're with us today as we continue the message how haters hate. We're going to be in Nehemiah chapter two. So you can grab your Bible and get ready to join us there. But, pastor, you bring up, uh, something I'm sure that as a pastor for many years, you've experienced many times. Seems like most of the pastors I know are walking around with what feels like a target on their back at times. And uh, man, their enemies do seem to gang up on them.
S3: Oh, yeah. Well, you know, it's only natural. I remember watching the program. It was about 15 years ago now, but they had about nine different faiths. And a Christian and the Christian was Doctor John MacArthur. And, uh, I was amazed at how. Everybody focused on him, and everybody attacked him. And he had a line that was just. So tremendous, so powerful. He said, it's amazing that you guys don't agree on many things except for agreeing against me. Yeah. That was oh, that was classic. Yeah. That was. That makes you, you know, things that make you go. Hmm. Yes yes yes, yes. And so, you know, it's par for the course. Why? Because we have the truth. Jesus said, I am the way, the truth and the life. So then Jesus is the only road to the father. Yeah. Jesus is the only truth that never changes. And Jesus is the only life that never ends.
S2: So. Exactly. And when you're going to make such an exclusive claim as Christianity does. We have to expect to have a target on your back.
S3: At times, and it's par for the course, baby.
S2: Well, as I said a moment ago, we are in Nehemiah chapter two, so I hope that you've had a chance to grab your Bible and join us there as we continue the message how haters hate. Here is Pastor Ford.
S1: Yeah, because if you don't go to the source, you don't know whether you have all the news or not. Go to the source. Wow. And they're going solely on what they're being fed. I tell you what, if I started a story right here with Elder Green and had him pass it around? I guarantee you, by the time it got to the back, we wouldn't be able to recognize it. We wouldn't be able to recognize it. Uh, I'm serious about that. It's like, uh, this actually happened to me one time. Somebody called and they said, you know, so and so is going to the hospital. And, and they may have a serious situation. So I put her on the Yahoo group. So and so is going to the hospital. They have a serious situation. And so then the person called me and said, pastor, that's not what I told you. I said, well, I know that's not what you told me, but you said they're going to the hospital. They may have a serious situation. And so, you know, I thought, okay, that's not what he meant, you know. Uh, they have a serious situation. And so I left them out. He said, well, no, no, no, no, no, pastor, that's not what I told you. You know, he's worried about going there because it may be a it doesn't it's not it don't have to be, but it may. I said, well, why don't you just say he's worried about going to the hospital? You see what I just did? I messed it up and I blamed him. He gave it to me the way he wanted it, but I. I messed it up. But I blamed him. Look at your neighbor and say, who you blaming when you know it's your fault? Uh huh. Yeah. And so it's amazing to me. Notice. Notice what number I'm on. Seven. Notice number seven. They lay aside their differences to accomplish a common goal. So they lay aside their differences to accomplish a common goal. These three have nothing in common. Sam Ballard political. He's a governor. He's a moabite. Tobiah is religious. Ammonite. And Gershom is a Arab. He's a pagan. Uh, some are from the north. Some are from the south. So they have nothing in common except one thing. They're all under Persian control. Isn't it amazing that people who generally don't get along get along when it comes to not getting along with you? Isn't it amazing how folk that don't like each other can find a common ground when it's time to come against you? Yeah. Oh, man, I'm telling you, Jesus had it. You know, if you study your Bible, some of the things in the Bible are to make you smile. At least now I know some of y'all ain't gonna ever laugh, but but but it ought to make you smile. Why? Because the Pharisees were the religious elite. They were the evangelicals of the day. And they they had a corner on morality. You know, the Sadducees, they were more more into the money thing and more into the power thing. And the Pharisees, real spiritual, you know, don't care about the body. And then the Herodians, neither one of them like them, because the Herodians were idumaeans. They were mixed Jews and sitting on the throne of their Messiah. But they all came together. Hey! Try it. I done been in it plenty of times. I guarantee you, I'll be at the health club talking about Jesus and Muslims come against me and Jehovah Witnesses come against me, and Mormons come against me, and Buddhists and all these, they all team up because they can't stand each other. But they hate me more because I tell them Jesus Christ is the way, the truth and the life. No man, woman, boy or girl come to the father but by. I tell them that the Bible says everybody that doesn't worship God through Jesus Christ is worshiping demons. First Corinthians 1022. And some of y'all ought to know, because I could preach about everything, but you let me preach about homosexuality and some of us who have homosexual in our in our family. You think you think God like the way you did that? Well, he liked the way I talked about drunkenness. He liked the way I talked about adultery. He liked the way I talked about fornication. Why wouldn't he like the way I talked about homosexuality? I said it from his word. That's right. Amen. Yeah. You don't like it? Yeah. And so. And you know what? Let's give them their kudos. What were you. What kudos. Listen to what they were able to do. They were able to come together and they were able to change what God said about male female, about marriage. And they're not 10% of our population. There's 7%. So what do they do? They came together, didn't care whether they were black or white, rich or poor, whether they lived in the country or the city. They didn't care whether you're educated or whether you're whether you had PhD or no. D they all came together. They got that thing through. Yes. And it's amazing to me that we say we're 38% of the population and we can't get nothing done. You want to know why? Because we're too busy hating on each other. Yeah. That's why. They come out of the closet. You. We ought to come out to. Yeah. Yeah. And so look at this. Eight, nine and ten. Let me, let me give it to you so we can get up out of here. Here we are. So they work on assumptions, perspectives and motives of others. They come accusing rather than asking. In Joshua 22, we study that before two they had just got done defeating the enemy. And so two and a half tribes say, we want to stay on the east side of Jordan. And they said, okay, ten and a half. We're going on the west side. And, you know, they said, West Side is the best side. And so what happens? The people on the East side said, let's build an altar that resembles that one, so that they will know in future generations if they ever forget that we belong to them. Because the river divides us, the sea divides us. Uh, then they'll see it and say, hey, they got they have something like we have. They belong to us over here. Somebody saw and said, all snap. It's on like neck bone. Oh, no. It ain't going down like that, man. You see what they doing over there? They built an altar just like this one. But worship is supposed to be on this side. They built that for worship. No. Yeah, man. Look at it. It looked just like this one over here. What do we do over here? Worship. What do you think they going to do over there? Worship. Yeah. And so you know what they did? They put on their armor to fight the ones that just won the battle with them. And so they put on all their armor. A civil war is about to break out. And so what happens? There's one person who's biblical. His name is Phineas. He says, okay, it does look like that, but we don't know anybody's heart. I can't tell their motives. And you can't either. Can we just ask them why they did it? Or we could ask them, but it's on now. We ain't taking off our armor. We're going over there with you, too. And if they say it's for worship, we're going to jack em. Yeah, we're going to jack em. He goes over, why did you build this? Well, in future generations you might forget us and our children. So we wanted a replica not to sacrifice, but to remind you that we belong to you. And isn't it amazing the thing that they built to remind them that they belong to them, divided them? Thank God for geniuses who understand what the proverb says in Proverbs 1813. He that answereth a matter before he heareth it, it is a folly and a shame unto him. John 751 Nicodemus, when talking about Jesus, he says, doth our law judge any man before it hear him, and know what he doeth? They were trying to guess what Jesus, he said, asking, and here's what gets me. These people Sanballat, Tobiah and and Gershom. Guess who they are the least qualified to be doing this. Why? They don't live in Jerusalem, and they're not Jews. Now you apply. I don't have time, I gotta stop, but listen. You say how you apply it. How are you going to tell youth ministry workers how to do youth ministry work? And you ain't never tried to help youth ministry workers do youth ministry work? How are you going to tell somebody what to do? And you never tried to do what they're doing.
S2: It's really a helpful look at how we deal with criticism on today's broadcast. A message called How Haters Hate a helpful look at Nehemiah chapter two. You know, maybe you missed one of the broadcasts in the short series. Well, you can always listen to it online. Come to Treasure Truth Radio for. Another way to listen is to download the Moody Radio app. Now you can find that by going to your favorite app store like iTunes or Google Play, and simply search for the Moody Radio app, or we'll link you to that when you come to our website. Treasure truth radio George. All right, let's go back to the message once again from Nehemiah chapter two. Here is Pastor Ford.
S1: Here it is. Let me give you these. Let me give you the last three. The criticism usually comes in a form that is least helpful. Look at this, look at this, look at this. It says they laughed us to scorn and despised us and said, what is this thing that you do? Will you rebel against the King? Listen what they're doing. They use laughter, ridicule, and then said, what are you trying to do? Here's what they did. Bottom line, they tried to make them feel silly, self-conscious and incompetent. You didn't go to school. You don't have a degree. Here's. Here's what I see. One, two, three, four, five. Here's what haters will do. Number one, they'll jump on every mistake you make. Number two, they will undermine your influence. Number three, they will discredit your ministry. Number four. They'll attack your family. And number five, they'll talk about your mama. Now, let me get these last two real quick. Let me give you these last two. So they're attributing motive. Let me give you these last two real quick. Real quick. But listen, let me say this. Let me say this. I have to go on record to say this. Say what? Pastor? Say it. What? You say it. Yeah, I'll say it. I'm not up here trying to grind an ax. So all of you who are thinking, I wonder what happened. Why is he preaching this? Something must have happened. I'm telling you, you fit in this category. That's what you're doing. No no no no no no. Imma tell you why I'm preaching this. Because we are to turnaround church and and we are. We are gradually increasing the changes in this church. We're seeing a new cadre of leadership being raised up. So we're not throwing away the old leadership. We're passing the baton to the new leadership. And I hope that message has been coming across because I told it to the leaders over and over and over again, But I know that people don't like change. But change is here and change will continue. And so I want to make those individuals aware of what to expect because I don't want them resigning, taking sabbaticals and all those other kind of things because the opposition is going to come if it hasn't already come expected. Yeah, because you're not going to do things the way I do things. I was telling them Wednesday night, uh, brothers, I was telling them Wednesday night. Listen, I come up here and this is casual for me. The new pastor, whenever that happens, he may come up with a t shirt, Jimmy's and shorts. I have never been in the pulpit. In shorts. Never. And by the grace of God, you ain't going to see that I'm old school in the house. I'm different. I've met with some young pastors. Two weeks ago, 150 pastors. I was the only one suited and booted. I come in, they say, pastor, you may want to get comfortable, I am. I got on a vest and a tie. I am comfortable, right? Yeah, but things are going to happen. We don't want to hear. You know, Pastor Ford never did it that way. You know, Elder Green wouldn't have done it that way. And, see, you got some of these bold millennials who'll say, I ain't Pastor Ford and I ain't Elder Green. I'm so-and-so. Amen. Amen. And so it's coming. Number nine. They attack the leader. Notice what it says in here. What is this thing that you do? Will you rebel against the king? He is singular. So now they're attacking Nehemiah. Why are they attacking him, man, if you cut off the head. Uh, man, you you you are going to get some things done. You undermine the head, and it's the head of a ministry, a head. You let somebody come along and undermine you as the elder over, uh, evangelism and the feeding ministry and all of that, and see what happened. Chaos. Chaos. But but I should have picked somebody else because I don't think they're going to try to try to stand up, elder green. Stand up, Elder Green. I don't think they're going to try to undermine. I don't think they I don't think they're going to try to. And here's the last one. You've been so gracious. They never give up, man. If I wish I had time to walk you through here, let me tell you what happens. There's only 13 chapters. Read it when you go home. It's powerful stuff. Um, matter of fact, I'm doing my leadership commentary. I'm doing a book on leadership out of Nehemiah, and I'm working on it now. But anyway, here it is. Look what happened. Look what happened. Sam. Tobiah. Come. If nothing works. Sam and Tobiah and Gershom. Nothing works. Sanballat. Tobiah and the Ammonites and Ashdod. Nothing works. So you know what he does. He got somebody on the inside. You know that's. That's on the committee. And he said, you you read it. It's it's in there. It's in chapter 30. He said, get him to come into the temple and have resident there. Tell him somebody's out there getting so he'll run to the temple. So Eliab the priest said, hey, I got a room for you in the temple. It made Nehemiah say, huh? Yeah, I got a room for you in the temple, and you can come there and, uh, they're going to try to kill you, but you have safety there. Nehemiah said, now, you know I'm not supposed to be in the temple. Now, you know God will kill me if I go into the temple. If I go where you told me to go, God will kill me because I'm not a Levite. I'm not a priest. No, let them kill me out here rather than God. Kill me in there. Amen. They don't give up. They don't give up. And I'm telling you. Listen, listen. It's coming, it's coming, it's coming. So, so. So what happened? Let me. Let me close this thing down. Some of you disengage from me because you were wondering whatever happened to Skippy? When I went home, I told my mama. Skippy robbed me and took my stick. She said, that's it. No more papers. But that was $5 a week. So I thought, you know what? I'm going to take care of this, mama. If you let me, I guarantee you I'm going to be alright. I have a friend. His name is Carl Williams, but we called him Country Carl. Now, Skippy was two years older than both of us. He was my age, but country. Carl was from the country. Corn fed, bull throwing, cow milking. I'm serious. He was. I mean, he was country. He not only country. And he was country strong. I'm telling you, fast on a track team, you know, all that kind of stuff. Real quiet. Dude. And and we were friends, and I went to Carl, and I said. I said, Skippy rob me, man. He said, yeah, because he was a courier boy, too, but he had a different route. He said, Skippy, Rob, okay, I tell you what I'm going to do. We do my route early, then I'm gonna help you do your route. And so, uh, we do his route, then we do my route. Now, here's what Skip would do. This is a wall. Okay? Skip would put half his body out the wall and half behind it and then look like that. That was so, you know, he was there. You better not run. He came out. He said, who's this? Got somebody else, too. And country. Carl said, that's my friend. You rob my friend? Yeah. What about it? Bill. Bam, bam. Country, Carl. Joked that boy, I mean he and you know, because whenever he came down, I kind of backed up behind Carl. Man. Carl had that jacked him up, whooped him, and then took his money and gave it to me. Then while he had it down with his foot on his chest, said, let me tell you something. This is paper route. He's going to do it by himself, because if he sees you, you going to see me? I delivered paper for two years. As a matter of fact, there are times when I saw Skippy. Yeah. Let me tell you something. Jesus is your hater handler. Because whenever you and I were being whipped by the world, the flesh and the devil and took everything that we possess. Why? Because the devil came to kill, steal and destroy. But Jesus Christ came into the picture, died on Calvary, and became our hater handler. And he handled the world, the flesh and the devil. And he beat them on Calvary's cross. And then he let them know whenever you see them they are more than conquerors, because I love them. They don't fight for victory. They fight from victory. Then he took back what the devil took from us, and he blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ Jesus. So here's all I got to say. Bring on the hate. Bring the haters on because I'm going to step aside and let my hater handler handle my haters.
S2: You know, if you're facing criticism and conflict in your life, when Pastor Ford's message today certainly offers encouragement and hope. You're listening to Treasure Truth, and if you'd like to get a copy of today's program, you can request it when you come to our website. Treasure Truth radio.org. Just look for how haters hate. Well, here on Treasure Truth, we believe that God's Word is sufficient for all of life, and we present Scripture with clarity and simplicity so that listeners everywhere can hear the truth and be transformed. And you can join us in this ministry by becoming a monthly partner. Now, when you automate your giving, it allows us to focus on our mission without worrying about how to make ends meet. Become a monthly partner today. When you call us at eight, eight, 864, four 7660 or go online to Treasure Truth Radio.com. When you become a monthly partner or you give a single gift of any amount, we're going to say thanks for your support with a book by Ari Tori called How to Witness to Anyone. Now, this practical resource is a compilation of Bible verses that will equip you to share the gospel on any occasion. Topics include dealing with backsliders, becoming a mature believer, and dealing with the self-righteous. Plus, there's a chapter devoted to helpful, soul winning hints to give you courage and insight in sharing the gospel effectively. So give a donation and request how to witness to anyone. Call us at 888644 7660 or go online to Treasure Truth Radio.com. And if you prefer to write and send a check in the mail or address is Treasure Truth, 820 North LaSalle Boulevard, Chicago, Illinois 606 ten. I'm Steve Hiller. Our producer is Amy Rios. Tomorrow, Pastor Ford challenges us with a question. Have you gone public with your praise? Be listening tomorrow for treasure. Truth. A production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.