S1: Hello, friends. Welcome to Open Line, Moody Radio's Bible study Across America. This is our second hour. I'm so glad to be with you. Uh, taking your questions about the Bible, God, and the spiritual life. My name is Michael Wright, and this is the Bible study across America. Uh, we're live sitting around the radio kitchen table talking about your questions. So you set the agenda with your calls, the phone number (877) 548-3675. That's (877) 548-3675. If you can't call, you can always go to our website. That's open line radio.org. You can click on the link that says ask Michael a question and post your question there. I hope you have a second cup of coffee, and I hope you still have your Bibles open, because we're going to be talking about the scriptures right now. We'll talk with Stacy in Clearwater, Florida, listening on. Welcome to Open Line, Stacy. How can I help you?
S2: Good morning. Um, my question is, how was Aaron able to meet back up with Moses when Moses fled Egypt after murdering the Egyptian soldier?
S1: Well, the verse that you're calling about is Exodus 427. Now the Lord had said to Moses, go and meet Moses in the wilderness. So he went and met him at the mountain of God and kissed him. Right. That's the verse you're talking about.
S3: Yes. Yes.
S1: He just they set their GPS for the mountain of God, and they used that to get right where they needed to go. What do you think best?
S2: That was what I was wondering, because they did not have the communication options.
S3: Well, now, this is. This is your.
S1: Presumption, Stacy. Uh, here's the thing. That Moses, uh, had already gone back to Egypt. It says that Moses was there and or it was going back to Egypt. But so it was 40 years. He spent 40 years in Egypt, then 40 years in the wilderness. Now he's going back. And then he had 40 years leading the children of Israel. That's his 120 year life. So I think it's just a there must have been messengers going back and forth. Uh, Moses, I'm sure when he landed in Midian, sent messages. There was messengers that would bring messages to let his family know where he was, because he knew who his family was. He knew Aaron. He knew Miriam. He knew his mother. Uh, Jochebed. And so I'm sure he let them know that. And then obviously with, uh, with this command from the Lord. And Moses on the way. There must have been messengers that got sent in advance about where they were supposed to meet. And so maybe it was, uh, Aaron who sent the message to Moses saying, Moses, meet me at the mountain of God. And that's where they met. So I think that's that's the best explanation that there must have been messengers in between that led them to know where each would be. Okay.
S2: Thank you. I always wondered that. Thank you.
S3: Sure.
S1: I'm so glad. You know, so often when we read the Bible, the Bible doesn't answer those kinds of questions because the author makes his determination about what he thinks is most important. But so often what we need to do is fill in the gaps just so we can see that these narratives are expected to be taken at face value, that they are true. Which is why someone will say, where did the baskets come from? Like last hour? Uh, for the feeding of the 5000. And, uh, this one. How did they meet? And so much of it is. Yeah, we can figure out a way that makes sense, but obviously don't want to miss the spiritual message about Moses and Aaron leading and God telling them how they're supposed to lead the children of Israel and when they failed, how they had to reap the consequences of that. So anyway, thanks for your call, Stacy. Really appreciate it. Uh, we're going to talk to Theresa in Evanston, Illinois, listening on. Welcome to Open Line. Theresa. How can I help you today?
S4: Morning. Good morning. Doctor. Thank you so much for teaching us.
S3: Sure.
S4: Um, my question is on Romans 826 and 27. I wanted to understand how it what it means and how it works, that the Holy Spirit Himself intercedes for us in our prayers with unspoken groanings.
S3: Mhm.
S1: Well, what do you have any opinion about what that is?
S4: So well. When I was giving it thought, I was thinking that maybe it could mean something like this. If I'm going to pray before work, say I'm on my way to work and I'm just going to pray for an easy day, you know, not too much difficulties, but I know that that isn't really a good way to pray. The Holy Spirit would probably say, use my difficulties to bring glory to God. Give me strength in the weaknesses. Help me to be a shining light for everyone that I come in contact with. But the thing is then, I know that already. If the Holy Spirit is praying for me something I already know that that's how I should pray.
S1: The reason I ask that is that a lot of my friends in the past used to say that this verse is an example of why people should pray in tongues in unknown languages, and they said, that's praying in the spirit. Now the thing is, I don't believe that this verse is saying that because if you read the verse, it says in the same way, the spirit also joins to help us in our weakness because we don't know what to pray for, pray for as we should, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us. And here it is with unspoken groanings, uh, word groanings that are too deep for words. Some versions say, uh, if it's too deep for words, then it's not articulate, it's not spoken. And then if someone were praying in tongues, that would be spoken words, even if the spirit allegedly was praying through them as they prayed in tongues. So it's not talking about tongues. And I'm glad we agree about that. I think it's a little bit different than the way you put it. It's talking about when we are weak and we don't know what to pray. There are times in our lives we're going to hit a circumstance that we've prayed about. It's a difficulty. Maybe it's a loved one that is very sick. Or maybe it's a conflict that you're having with someone and you don't know how to resolve it. It may be something that that's just really deeply painful. And you, you've prayed about it and you get to the point where you think, I just don't know what to pray anymore. I can't pray anymore. I'm done. I just don't know what to do. And when we come to those roadblocks in prayer, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us right there in the presence of God. The Holy Spirit goes to the father and brings our groanings, our pain, our difficulties to the father for us because we don't even know what to pray anymore. And and that's a comfort to me, because I have come to places like that in my life where I just didn't know what to do anymore. And I knew the Holy Spirit gave me peace because he was interceding for me. Does that help?
S4: Yes it does. Thank you and thank you for explaining about that. It isn't like a prayer language. Praying in tongues. I don't think that, but sometimes I don't know how to answer someone that does believe that. So thank you for that as well.
S1: Sure. Well, it's my pleasure. Thanks for calling, Theresa. Uh, we're going to talk to Susan in Georgia, listening on WNBA. Welcome to Open Line. Susan. How can I help you?
S5: Hello. It's good to hear you. Your voice. Uh, I hear you on the radio. And I try to get through last week but couldn't get through. Um, I I'm I'm a little bit unsure of what this verse means. It's Matthew, chapter eight verses. Uh, well, it starts after the centurion, you know, asked Jesus to go to his house to heal his servant. Um, he he didn't want Jesus to go to his house, but he said that he could do it right there, you know, because he he has men over him there. And and so Jesus marveled in verse ten at what? He said that he marveled at that at his great faith. You know, but he said, assuredly, I say to you, that I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel. And I say to you that many will come from east and west, and sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. But the sons of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness, and there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Um, and then he just turned around and told the centurion to go his way and that his servant would be healed. Now I'm wondering, uh, can you explain this to me? Because, I mean, I got my own thoughts, but I'd like to hear you explain that to me, please. What Jesus meant by that. I mean, you know, because he said that they'll come from the east and west and they will sit down in heaven, you know, in the kingdom of heaven.
S1: Let me just say it's kind of interesting because the very same story takes place in Luke seven. And Luke writing to Gentiles has a slightly different emphasis. So I want to point that out to you before I talk about Matthew with you.
S5: Okay.
S1: Uh, it says in Luke seven that, uh, that the elders, the Jewish elders, came and they requested that they saved the life of this centurion's servant. When they reached Jesus, they pleaded with him earnestly, saying, he is worthy for you to grant this, because he loves our nation and has built us a synagogue. And then it says, So Jesus went with them. It seems like the Abrahamic Covenant is coming out here, that because he had blessed the Jewish people, the Lord Jesus was now going to bless him by caring for this servant of his. And so writing to Gentiles, it's almost like Luke includes this idea that you have to be concerned and be like this centurion who had a great care, great love for the Jewish people. And you can see that there in Luke seven, verses four and five. Okay. So that's, uh, the, the I will bless those who bless you aspect of the Abrahamic covenant coming to fruition. And that's what Luke wrote to Gentiles. Now Matthew is writing to Jewish people and to to Matthew. He's going to emphasize Matthew is going to emphasize to Jewish people that just because you're Jewish doesn't grant you automatic entry into the kingdom of heaven. Uh, that this Gentile had greater faith than all of Israel. That's what he says. But the sons of the kingdom, there will be people who are Jewish who are relying on the fact that they have this Abrahamic covenant, but they don't have a personal faith, and they won't. And they refuse to believe in the Messiah, that those people will be kept out. It's just the emphasis here is that when when Matthew is writing to Jewish people, he's talking to them about their need to be spiritually responsive to the Lord Jesus and to believe in him. And when he when Luke is writing to Gentiles, he's reminding them of their need to love and care for Jewish people according to the Abrahamic Covenant.
S5: Okay, that's what I thought it was. I really did, I thought that's what it was, but I just wanted to make sure that that's it, that I had it right. Um, and I thank you.
S1: But it's so interesting to me to see the, the, the message as it's given to Gentiles, the same story as opposed to how it's given to Jewish people. You know, one of the things that the Mishnah says that all Israel share in the world to come. Uh. And then it has a whole bunch of exceptions. And I think that's kind of important that, uh, that's what the Lord Jesus is doing. Exactly what the mission did. That God made these promises to the sons of the kingdom. But if they don't believe there's some that won't be part of those promises. So that's that's a great reminder. Well, thank you for your call, Susan. We're going to take a break here. When we come back, we're going to take more of your questions. Remember you can write to us at openlibrary.org. You click on the link that says Ask Michael a question. Or you can call (877) 548-3675 with your question about the Bible, God or the spiritual life. We'll be right back with more straight ahead on open Line. Welcome back to Open Line. I'm so glad to be with you today. I did want to tell you about our resource. You know, it's so important when we read the Bible there are questions that come up. And I know you. You think, well, I'll just wait till open line and I'll call Michael and he'll give me the answer. But actually, when we're reading the scriptures, it's so important. There's place names. There are individuals, people that we see in the text, uh, there's events that take place, holidays. And we think, I wonder what those are. Well, the answer is that the best thing to do is to look it up in a Bible dictionary. A dictionary isn't just for words. A Bible dictionary has people, places, events and it explains them. And our current resource. When you give a gift of any size, we want to say thank you by sending you our current resource. It is the Ultimate Bible Dictionary published by B and H, the publisher of my favorite Bible translation, the CSB. Well, the Ultimate Bible Dictionary is easy to carry, easy to use. It's just a little book, but it's a great resource and it has the answers to those questions when you're reading. If you want to look something up, it's right there. You can pick it up, and if you'd like a copy, it's yours. When you give a gift of any size to open line, you know you may never have given to open line before, but this is something that is so special I think you won't want to miss it. Uh, so if if you're thinking, well, when's my first gift going to be, I would encourage you to give it now so you can get a copy of the Ultimate Bible Dictionary. We want to send it to you just for out of our gratefulness for your giving a gift, go to our website, Open Line radio.org. That's where you can give. Or you can call (888) 644-7122. That's (888) 644-7122. Uh, really really grateful at this season, especially the end of June, is the end of our fiscal year. If you want to give a gift now, it would be really appreciated as we we want to finish out the year in a balanced way. We're really appreciative of every gift, but especially now, it's kind of a little bit of a seasonal thing. And so I want to encourage you to give a gift now. Uh, we're going to go to the phones again. We're going to talk to Kristen in Schaumburg, Illinois, listening on WNBA. Welcome to Open Line. Kristen. How can I help you today?
S6: Good morning, Doctor Reidel. Nick, can you please tell me what the what's the difference between the white Throne judgment and the judgment seat of Christ? And who will stand before each.
S1: Well, the judgment seat of Christ, or the Bema seat of the Messiah is described in Second Corinthians chapter five. It's also, in a sense, it's not called that in first Corinthians three, but that's what it's describing in first Corinthians three. It talks about our works being judged and that there are some like wood, hay and straw, and they were judged by fire and they'll be burned up, and others are gold and silver and precious, uh, uh, gold. I'm sorry. Yeah. Precious gems. Uh, and they won't be burned up and so. Uh, but it says if a person has no good works, that everything they have will be burned up. But if they know the Lord, they will still be saved yet so as through fire. So that's that's what that passage is talking about. And then in second Corinthians five, it talks about the Bema Seat that we're going to stand before the Lord at the Bema Seat, the judgment seat of the Messiah. Uh, it says, for we must all appear before the Bema Seat or the tribunal or the judgment seat of the Messiah, so that each may be repaid for what he has done in the body, whether good or worthless. That's second Corinthians 510. So that's that's what's taking place. I believe that will take place during the tribulation period in heaven. And then, uh, uh, when the believers are all there, uh, the that's that's when we'll all be there and we'll that's when the judgment seat of the Messiah will take place. Uh, the great White Throne judgment takes place after the thousand year reign. And that's the judgment of non-believers. Everyone will be resurrected. Believers already will have been resurrected, but non-believers will be resurrected this time. And they will stand before the judge. And this will be their final judgment. Does that help? That's in revelation chapter 20. Okay.
S6: Thank you very much.
S1: Okay. Thank you. Thanks for your call. Uh, we're going to talk to Harry in Ohio, listening on WC. Welcome to Open Line, Harry. How can I help you?
S7: Thank you very much, doctor Mike. Um. Love the fastest two hours in radio. Love your show. Thank you. My question. You're welcome. My question is, why? Back to the time of Esther. To Hitler to present day. Why are the Jewish people such a hated people?
S1: Well. First of all, let's start with what is anti-Semitism? It's hatred of the Jewish people. It's not hatred of people who speak Semitic languages, which is what some people will say. anti-Semitism is the hatred of the Jewish people. It was coined by Wilhelm Marr at the end of the 19th century. He was the founder of the anti-Semitic League, and he wanted to find a more scientific sounding term for his racial hatred of the Jewish people, and the German word up to that point had been judenhass Jew hatred. And so he changed it to anti-Semitism so that he could have a more quote unquote scientific sounding term. That's where that term comes from. And it didn't start with Heymann. It actually goes back to Pharaoh. Remember Pharaoh getting rid of the male committing genocide, trying to commit genocide of the Israelite slaves? That's where it goes back to. Right.
S7: Okay.
S1: Um, and it's one of the things that, uh, it seems like people don't realize it is the most irrational hatred. It is a conspiracy theory that has no truth to it. So what is the true source of it? Psalm 83 gives us one key. In Psalm 83 it says, those who hate the God of Israel will also hate the people of Israel. So in Psalm 83, here's what it says, turning to it right now. Um, it says, see, speaking to God. See how your enemies make an uproar. Those who hate you have acted arrogantly. They devise clever schemes against your people. They conspire against your treasured ones. They say, come, let us wipe them out as a nation. So that Israel's name will no longer be remembered. For they have conspired with one mind. They form an alliance against you. So, uh, part of what's going on with the hatred of the Jewish people is hatred of the God of Israel. That's why they hate the people of Israel. Revelation 12 tells us that Satan wants to destroy the woman described there that gives birth to the the the Messiah in Revelation 12. And that woman is symbolically there to represent Israel, not the Virgin Mary, but rather to represent Israel and wants to destroy Israel. And so, uh, it's satanic. Uh, that's the source of it. Satan hates whom God loves. So that's one reason that there's so much anti-Semitism is that Satan hates whom God loves. God has chosen the Jewish people. He's got a special he calls Israel my firstborn in Exodus four. And so I believe that the Jewish people at large are hated by people because Satan hates the Jewish people, because he hates whom God loves. Then also Satan wants to obstruct God's plan. That's why he wants to destroy Israel before the first coming of the Messiah. He wants to destroy Israel. So that, uh, what would happen is that If he could have killed every last Jewish person before the coming of the Messiah, the Lord Jesus could not have been born if there had been no Jewish people for him to be born from. And also, uh, the key to the Second Coming rests with the Jewish people. The Lord Jesus says in Matthew 23, verses 37 through 39, he says, you won't see me again to Israel until you welcome me back, until you say, blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. And so he says to Jewish people, you have to welcome me back. And that's what will spur the end of the tribulation and bring the Messiah to deliver his people. One day the Jewish people will turn to him. So if Satan can destroy every last Jewish person, well then the result would be that maybe he could obstruct the return of the Lord Jesus. But God promises that he will always preserve his people. Jeremiah 31, verses 31 through 34 he says about the Jewish people. If you could measure the heavens, you can't. If you can search out the foundations of the deep, go to the core of the earth. If you can make the sun, moon and stars stop shining. If you can do those things, only then could you destroy the Jewish people. God will protect and preserve his people. Okay.
S7: Okay. What a great answer and explanation. I appreciate it so much.
S1: Thank you. And by the way, this is something, Harry, that we all need to take a stand against. We are living in an age where anti-Semitism has gone up 400% in the last two years. It's gone up 1,000% in the last ten years. Uh, it is exploding. Not just here in America, but around the world. Those of us who love the God of Israel and follow the Messiah of Israel need to take our stand with the people of Israel and oppose this hatred. That's what we need to do, Harry. Uh, thanks for your call.
S7: Amen. Thank you.
S1: Sure. Hey, Esther, we've got a minute before break. Can you go ahead and just ask your question? I'll see if I can answer it real quickly.
S8: Hi. My question is, who is Judah? What is Judah? Is it a city? Is it, um, a place somewhere?
S1: Okay.
S8: And dance.
S1: Okay, I'll tell you. Judah was one of the sons of Jacob who became the father of the tribe of Judah. So that's what happened. And then when the nation of Israel split. So the ten northern tribes became known as Israel. The two southern tribes of Judah and Benjamin became known as the nation of Judah. And when the people of Judah were called Judeans, then they went to captivity, and they became known in captivity from Judah Yehuda. They became known as Yehudim Jews. That's where that's where that came from. And that's who the Judeans are today, are the Jewish people. Uh, I hope that helps real quickly with the answer of Who is Judah? We're going to come right back with more questions in a moment. This is Michael Ray Dolnick on Open Line. Stay with us. More questions straight ahead. Welcome back to Open Line. It's time for the Febc mailbag. Far Eastern Broadcasting Company brings the gospel to people through media and through personal contact. It is a marvelous organization. I hope you'll check out their web page. It's full of all sorts of things there that you'll find helpful, but especially find their podcast until All I've Heard featuring Ed Cannon. I think you'll really benefit from listening to that, and I appreciate Febc partnering with Open Line to bring this mailbag to you. And joining me right now with the Febc mailbag is Tricia McMillan. And Tricia is there with her associate producer, Duncan. Hey, Tricia. I do there's a couple of things I want to mention before we get to Duncan's question. One, I wanted to thank you because last hour I mentioned that I'm going to Israel in September. And I said, uh, that we have limited space. We, I think, have 4 or 5 spots left and that of those 4 or 5 spots that we only have this week, and then we're going to shut down registration. So if people want to go, they can come with us. And I said, just go to our website openlibrary.org and then find my personal website, but you, without me even asking, linked it on our website so people can find it. And and thank you so much for that. If people are interested, they can go to our website and find that link about going to Israel in September. Uh, that's one thing. And then the other thing is, uh, I was at an event last night with a number of people, and this is kind of interesting. There were about half this group of 40 that I was meeting with were open line listeners. Oh.
S9: That's cool.
S1: Yeah. And, uh, I thought it was so interesting. They were interested in Moody Bible Institute, but every Open Line listener said, Will you greet Tricia for me.
S9: Or.
S1: Because they love you? So I think that was great.
S9: And it's yeah.
S1: It's part of that, that teamwork that we have that we work so well together. I so appreciate it. And, uh, the team of listeners and the team of callers and the team of Kitchen table partners. I hope people will consider becoming part of the team by joining us as a kitchen table partner, giving monthly so we can be on the air weekly, and we'll send you that special digital Bible study, our Bible study moment, every other week in your email, and you can listen to it. If you'd like to become a kitchen table partner, all you have to do is call 886447122 and then you can be a kitchen table partner with Tricia. That's what they really care about. That's all I'm saying. I appreciate that. So, uh. Well, Tricia, tell me about your associate producer that's there today.
S9: Well, today I brought my associate producer, uh, Duncan, who is ten, and he just finished fourth grade. Love.
S1: You found him someplace?
S9: I did. He lives with me. It's my son.
S1: Okay.
S9: There we go. Um, it's my son. He just finished fourth grade. Loves the Bible, loves reading the Bible is always like, loves Bible trivia questions. knows a lot. If you have a question, he there's a good chance he's read about it and could answer it for you. Um, and so I have a listener who has a question about judges nine. But Duncan also had a question about judges nine, and his comes first in the chapter. And so I figure he could ask it first.
S1: That's great. Go ahead. Hey, Duncan, are you there?
S10: Yes, I am.
S1: Okay, well, uh, you've been reading judges nine. Judges is a hard book for a ten year old. I just want to say so. I'm pretty impressed. Uh, what? What's your question there from judges nine?
S10: Um, my question is, why did Abimelech's brother refer to him as brambles?
S1: Um, there's that parable that Jotham gave, uh, on Mount Gerizim, and, uh, it's a parable about trees setting out to anoint a king over themselves. They said to a beautiful olive tree. You reign over us. And the olive trees said, nah, I don't want to do that. And, uh, because I have, I have a better function. I have to give oil. And then they went to a fig tree which has wonderful, delicious fruit, sweet, good fruit. And they said, rule over us. And they said the same thing to the grapevine, and each wanted to do what they were supposed to do. Then a bramble comes along and a bramble, you know, they they don't do much good. Uh, they don't have sweet fruit. They don't have make, uh, any good drink. They don't, uh, uh, produce olive oil, nothing like that. Uh, they just kind of take up space, and it's unworthy. And as a result of being unworthy, uh, the bramble is what they compare Abimelech to. The trees said to the bramble, come and reign over us. And the bramble said to the trees, if you really are anointing me as king over you, come and find shade in my refuge, in my shade. Uh, and uh, then he talks about what he would do. He would hurt them, uh, if they didn't follow him. And so all it's saying is Abimelech was unworthy for being king and that he would make trouble for them. That's what it's saying, that he was an unworthy leader. Okay, go ahead and ask me. Don't ask your mom. What's your follow up?
S10: Um, my follow up.
S1: Question. No, don't ask another question. Did you understand what I was saying about this parable? Okay, good. Because we have to go to another question, but I really appreciate you asking these questions. It shows excellent reading. Duncan, keep it up. Okay. Okay. He's nodding his head at me.
S9: Good. Yes. Uh, next question is from Jeffrey and Brianna on Facebook said in judges 923 so just a few verses later it says, when Abimelech is actually verse 22, when Abimelech had ruled over Israel three years, God sent an evil spirit between Abimelech and the lords of Shechem. They treated Abimelech deceitfully. And they're asking, why did God send an evil spirit? More specifically, it's troubling that God is the one who sent this spirit, this evil spirit.
S1: One of the things I often do is point out something that Erwin Lutzer, my friend, my my former pastor before he became pastor emeritus of Moody Church, uh, wonderful. Erwin Lutzer has often said that even the devil is God's devil, and that when an evil spirit is sent, that God is still sovereign over that, and that even evil spirits can accomplish God's purposes. And what happened here is Abimelech had ruled Israel for three years, and God sent this evil spirit because he is sovereign even over those spirits. And they treated us because of this, these evil spirit. There was conflict between Abimelech and the sons of Shechem. They treated Abimelech deceitfully, so that the crime against the 20 sons of Jerubbaal might come to justice, and their blood would be avenged on their brother Abimelech, who killed them. And so what God did is he sovereignly allowed that evil spirit to create this conflict, so that Abimelech might be brought to justice. So, uh, it's even the devil is God's devil. He, uh. Nothing can the enemy can do without God's permission to accomplish it. So that's that's what I would say the answer to that is.
S9: Okay. All right. Thank you for that. Uh, next question is from Beth in Pennsylvania. listens to Wgvm and on the Moody Radio app, she said she's a kitchen table partner. Yay! Because I feel it's important to share and understand God's Word. We are blessed to have a godly team such as yours to help us deepen our biblical knowledge.
S1: See, I told you they like the team.
S9: I know they like the team. So thank you Beth, for your support and for being a kitchen table partner. Uh, her question comes from a conversation that she had with a coworker. She, the coworker, stated that no Christian should ever be sick. And if we are, it's because we have sinned. Because we are protected through Jesus blood sacrifice and our faith. And she uses, uh, James 514 and 15 for healing if we do get sick, which talks about anointing with olive oil in the name of the Lord and the prayer of faith will save the sick person, and the Lord will restore him to health. If he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Beth, though, says, I thought being a Christian only saves us spiritually. Um, and wants to know if there's Scripture or a book that she can share with her friend. And maybe what what is this verse saying? And when Christians get sick. James 514 and 15.
S1: Sure. Um, well, first of all, all sickness is a result of sin. It's Adam's sin. Yeah, we live in a fallen world. That's why there's germs. That's why, uh, there are cells that go crazy and become cancer. And because we live in a fallen world and sickness won't go away until we are redeemed completely and resurrected. And we don't have bodies that are affected by this fallen world. Uh, now, as for followers of Jesus, I think it's interesting that Paul says in second Timothy 419 he says, I left Trophimus sick at Miletus. Now, why would if Paul thought everyone should be well and could heal anyone, he wouldn't have left Trophimus sick at Miletus. He also tells Timothy, take a little wine for your stomach's stomach's sake and for your many ailments. Uh, apparently he didn't say Timothy. Just pray and you'll be healed. He said, take some wine for your stomach's sake. Uh, many people think that there was a eyesight problem. The thorn in his flesh that Paul had. And in Second Corinthians chapter 12, he said that three times he prayed that the Lord would remove it. And and God said, my grace is sufficient for you. Do you remember what, I think it was someone that called Pastor Cole and said that they were told that they they shouldn't walk with a cane. I believe.
S9: I do. Yes.
S1: What did Pastor Cole, the my the the previous host, the previous host.
S9: Of Open Line said something to the effect of, well, you should hit him with the cane and tell them it wouldn't hurt if they really believed.
S1: Yeah. That's it. Which? Which I could never say, but no. But I love that answer. Yeah. In James five, it seems to me that that's reading way too much into this passage. If it indeed is speaking about physical healing, which I think is questionable. If it is, it's really talking about that it's possible to have a physical illness because of sin in our lives, and that when the person comes to repentance, not only will they be raised up, but that they will also their sins will be forgiven. It says in verse 15. Uh, so call for the elders. It's not the prayer of faith of the individual who is sick, but the prayer of faith of the elders will raise him up and his sins will be forgiven. So it's a prayer of restoration. Now the the other thing is, if you look at the words that are used for sickness, they are frequently used for grief or emotional sickness, not physical sickness. And this could be a sickness of spirit that's being spoken of, not physical ailments that that are being healed. And, uh, there's a long time ago I read an article, a journal article in Bibliotheca Sacra that makes the case for this being, uh, sort of like a depressive spiritual emotional sickness. Okay.
S9: Which I have, you know, experienced prayer can be very helpful in those situations.
S1: Yeah.
S9: Absolutely necessary.
S1: Yeah. Now, what I think is most interesting is people will say it's the person who prays who's sick, that that person is the reason that they didn't have enough faith, that that's why they won't be raised up. But this passage, when you say he calls for the elders and it's the prayer of faith by the elders, not of the.
S9: One who is sick.
S1: Yeah, I think that's interesting. So let's blame the elders.
S9: Yeah.
S1: So but we're going to go to break here. Thank you. That was Tricia McMillan and her son Duncan, her associate producer. My name is Michael Wright. We'll be right back with more of your questions right here on Open Line. Stay with us. Welcome back to Open lines. So glad to be with you today. Uh, my name is Michael Riedel and had a great time studying the Bible with you today. I do want to mention that I'm sure you know Israel is in a war. It's not a war that Israel wanted. It's not a war that Israel sought. The nation didn't start it. They didn't want it. They didn't anticipate it. It came as a result of the terrible October 7th attack by Hamas, when they murdered more than 1200 Jewish people on one day, more than any other people since any other Jewish people since the Holocaust. Uh, they captured 251 people, and Israel is been torn up now after 600 days. Um, 600 days of war. It is really, uh, very, very stressful in Israel. Well, what does the future hold? Chosen People Ministry is one of our ministry partners and an organization reaching Jewish people around the globe, is offering a special book, Israel's Glorious Future. The book details God's faithfulness to his covenant promises and points to biblical prophecies yet to be fulfilled yet in the future. And it gives hope, despite the current difficulties that Israel is facing, because Israel's future is glorious. If you'd like a free copy of Israel's glorious future, just go to Openline Radio.com. That's our website, npr.org. Click on the link that says A Free gift from Chosen People Ministries, and you'll be taken to a page where you can sign up for your own copy of Israel's Glorious Future. Well, we're going to talk to Donna in Buffalo Grove, where I live for 12 years, Buffalo Grove, Illinois, listening on Wmbi. Welcome to Open Line. Donna. How can I help you?
S11: Hey, doctor. Nick, thank you for taking my call. And I got to hear Trish McMillan's voice and say, I was so excited.
S1: Oh that's great.
S11: My question. Yeah. I love her. Um, my question is I go to a Bible study and I just kind of listen in at work once a week, and it's not my main Bible study, but there was a person in the Bible study, and he was referencing Second Corinthians 517 that to be born again in Christ and to be saved, you must know the minute it happened, how it happened, the time the scripture you were reading and if it happened suddenly, and if it doesn't happen suddenly, then you're not saved. And so I wanted your take on that because I don't believe that myself. But, um, I'm hoping other people in the Bible study are listening, because I think that's kind of dangerous. But what what is your explanation of it or what is your opinion of that?
S1: Well, I think that people are born again suddenly, uh, in an instant, in a crisis, but they may not necessarily be aware of it.
S2: Okay.
S1: They might be able later on to look back. Oh yeah, that would be but it might be unclear to them. I remember a trip I took back when I was in college. A whole bunch of us were driving to the East Coast and it was my car, but I was tired. We left right after school, so we left in the late afternoon and it's a long trip. It was about 16 hours. And so I took a nap. Someone else was driving, and then I woke up and I said, have we passed Stroudsburg yet? That's a town in Pennsylvania. And they said, oh, yeah, we're long past it. And Stroudsburg was where I was supposed to get up and drive again, but I'd I'd slept through it and they let me do it. Well, I think that's how sometimes people come into the kingdom of God that, you know, if Stroudsburg is where they were supposed to enter, they may be unaware and pass through it, and they've entered the kingdom of God without realizing it. And I think it's. And then they say, well, how come they're all things have become new? Well, it takes time. Things. The capability for transformation happens immediately, but people don't come out mature instantaneously. It's really hard to tell the difference between an immature believer and a brand new baby believer. Right. It takes time to grow in the faith. And so I think that's that's why people may not always be aware of when they put their trust in Jesus. Okay.
S11: Okay. Thank you. No, that's what I thought. And I believe that. But I just wanted to make sure, um, that I'm hoping other people are listening because a lot of people were really discouraged, and I found that that sad.
S1: So, you know, I always tell people, uh, it doesn't matter if you could write down the date and time. I'll tell you what matters. Who are you trusting right now to to be forgiven of your sins. Are you trusting that Jesus died for your sins and rose again? Uh, and you're following him? And if if that's the case, then you're you're related to him. You've become God's child. And and it doesn't matter if you can't specify the time or moment. Rather, uh, it's important that right now, you know who you're trusting. And if you're listening and you think, I don't know if I've ever made that decision to put my trust in Jesus. Hey. Don't wait. Now's the time to do it. Respond to that call of the Lord Jesus when he says, put my. Put your trust in me. Follow me. Uh. And and then he'll transform our lives. Well, thank you for your call, Donna.
S12: Thank you.
S1: Thanks for everyone who listened. That's the program for the week. I can't believe it's gone by so quickly. Thanks for everyone who called or wrote. Uh. Appreciate it. And thank you so much for our team, Tricia McMillan, Omar Mendoza and our our call screeners. Really appreciate them. Keep in touch with us during the week by going to our website Openline radio.org. That page is everything you're looking for, whether you want to give a gift or become a kitchen table partner, get our current resource. All those things are right there. Also has a link to our trip to Israel that's coming up. Uh, things like that are all there. And you can even find how to get that resource from Chosen People Ministries. Keep reading the Bible and we're going to talk about it next week. Just remember this. Keep reading the Bible. That's where the questions come from. Open line with Doctor Michael Melnick is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute. See you next week.