S1: It's Resurrection Sunday weekend. Christ is risen! He is risen indeed! But before that wonderful resurrection, there was an agony on that cross. There was a crowd gathered around it. Just who were all of these people there, and what were their motives for being there? What is their contribution to the story of the whole account? These are the questions we're about to get into. We started this conversation last week with Doctor Woodrow Kroll. We're going to resume it today because it's so important that we understand the characters at the Cross of Christ. Right now, a question did you know that most Jewish people have never heard the gospel? It's true. Every week here on the land and the book, you hear Charlie and I talk about Israel. We talk about the Jewish people. And it's important to remember that they, like everyone else, need to hear the good news. That's the bottom line.
S2: That's right, John. And that's why life in Messiah, a ministry that existed for over 135 years, is devoted to sharing the gospel with Jewish people around the world. Now they're offering a gift to moody listeners this free e-book. Reaching Jewish People for Messiah highlights the need for the gospel among the Jewish people, and will equip you with practical ways to share the Good News with them. To receive this free e-book, visit Life in Messiah org and click on the Moody Radio logo. A sign up today to get your copy. And that's life in Messiah.
S1: And with that, we'll swing our focus toward current events from the Middle East. Last weekend, the world focused on the resumption of high level nuclear talks between the US and Iran. How did those talks go?
S2: Well, the first round of indirect talks were said to have been held in a, quote, positive atmosphere and were conducive to bridging viewpoints. The indirect talks were then followed by a brief face to face conversation between the two negotiators, and both sides agreed to resume the talks again this weekend. However, the most significant news from the talks is what each side said they're intended to accomplish and not accomplish. Iran's supreme leader said the talks would only focus on the nuclear issue and the lifting of sanctions. The chief U.S. negotiator initially said the focus would be to reach agreement on enrichment verification, not eliminating Iran's nuclear program. That statement raised concerns in Israel. A day later, he clarified his remarks, saying any agreement would require Iran to eliminate its nuclear enrichment and weaponization program. Iran then responded by saying its right to uranium enrichment is, quote, non-negotiable. This weekend's round of talks are crucial, and the U.S. needs to be very careful in stating clearly what will be required for any deal. The goal must be to stop Iran from ever becoming a nuclear threat to Israel, or any other country in the region. One fact is clear President Trump's 60 day countdown clock on the negotiations is ticking.
S1: Story number two. Reports have surfaced that a cease fire and hostage deal could soon be reached with Hamas. Is an end to the conflict imminent, or is this just another instance of false optimism about to be shattered?
S2: You know, it would be great if the report were true, but right now it's just hard to be optimistic. According to the report, both Egypt and Turkey are actively involved in the negotiations, and President Trump is pushing for the release of the hostages as part of a broader regional agreement. Here are some of the supposed details. The US is pressuring Israel to compromise and agree to a pause in fighting in exchange for the release of some hostages and renewed talks to end the conflict. This would be part of a broader regional agreement that President Trump envisions as a, quote, grand bargain in the Middle East, and that would eventually include normalization between Israel and Saudi Arabia. The reconstruction of Lebanon, Syria and Gaza, and a resolution to the Palestinian issue. The plan would also included a resumption of aid deliveries to Gaza and a cease fire, during which a final long term political framework for Gaza would be developed, and apparently a potential political involvement for Hamas wasn't ruled out. Now, unfortunately, Hamas rejected the plan Tuesday because it didn't require Israel to end the war and withdraw from Gaza. The proposed deal wasn't a good deal for Israel, but pressure within Israel to bring home the hostages at any cost, along with pressure from the US, made it a realistic possibility until Hamas once again rejected it.
S1: Well, Charlie, a significant number of other stories have slipped under the radar over the past few weeks. So in our remaining time, let's see how many of these we can cover today. The first focuses on dogs, robots, artificial intelligence, and modern tunnel warfare. What do all of these have in common?
S2: Well, the American Technion Society recently held a security briefing with Israel's former national Security Advisor and head of Advanced Defense Research Institute at the Technion. I watched the briefing and I found his high level overview fascinating. One item focused on the evolution of tunnel warfare like that Israel has faced in Gaza and Lebanon. He said the process they've developed is to send in a drone, followed by a robot, then a dog, and finally a soldier. He added very briefly in passing that they were trying to get into the mind of the dog to communicate with it. Now, I might have simply brushed that aside, except for an article that was in the Jerusalem Post on how scientists in Israel are using lasers and artificial intelligence to decode how dogs smell, using artificial intelligence to analyze the brains of dogs. Israeli scientists are mapping the 100 million sensory receptor sites in a dog's nasal cavity. By the way, that compares to about 6 million in ours. As humans, they developed an optical sensor capable of remotely scanning the brain activity of dogs in three key regions, each of which play a critical role in how dogs differentiate between smells. Using the laser sensor, any dog breed can be used to detect certain scents. This could include the presence of drugs or people or explosives, and alongside the live dogs, Israel is also developing robot dogs that can understand natural language and that are also equipped with sensors to help soldiers or rescue workers picking their way through all the obstacles. So all these pieces are converging because of this war with Hamas.
S1: Last week, you mentioned in passing that Israel and Turkey were holding talks to try to avoid a military clash in Syria. How did those talks go?
S2: Well, the first round of talks, which were held in Azerbaijan, were described by both sides as positive. The goal of the talks is to reduce tension between the two countries and to establish a mechanism to prevent conflict in Syria. The process is still at the very beginning stages, but the two sides agreed to another round of talks after the Passover holidays. Each side presented its regional interests, so the hope is that the two can come to an agreement that will avoid direct confrontation in the future. Now, if there's a proverbial fly in the ointment in all of this, it's the report this week that the US will begin a phased withdrawal of its forces from Syria in the coming months. Will Turkey or the Kurds or Iraqi Shiite militants or the new Syrian government step in to fill that void? Right now, the answer to that question just isn't clear. And that gives it a sense of uncertainty.
S1: On April the 9th, the full Senate finally approved Mike Huckabee as America's new ambassador to Israel. I'm intrigued. Evangelicals are thrilled. Here's a believer in that role. And that very fact seems to put off many other American Jews who are not believers. How significant is his appointment and when is he scheduled to begin?
S2: Yeah. Huckabee is the first openly evangelical Christian to serve as an ambassador to Israel, and he brings with him a long time commitment to the Jewish state and a strong desire to strengthen ties between the US and Israel. Now, Huckabee had expressed a desire to be confirmed in time to celebrate Passover in Israel. The delay in the confirmation process didn't make that possible, but he is scheduled to fly to Israel relatively soon. And he said the first thing he'll do is take a prayer to the Western Wall that President Trump gave him and placed it there on behalf of the American people and the president.
S1: One final story. An Arab newspaper reported that Israeli soldiers released a large number of pigs near the Arab town of Tulkarem. This supposedly to impart fear and cause damage to property. So what's the truth behind this story of a plot to cause panic using pigs?
S2: Well, let's start this way. Could this story be true? I suppose it's possible, though the story wasn't independently corroborated in this age of ever present cell phones, it seems highly unlikely that Israel could bring in truckloads of squealing hogs without anyone noticing or taking a video of it. Now, could Tukaram be experiencing an invasion of wild boars? Well, it really could. Several years ago, wild boars in the Jerusalem area terrified the residents of the Jewish town of Mevaseret Zion. About the same time, the city of Haifa experienced problems with wild boars running wild through the city streets. The wild pigs are in the forests and woods, but the Covid problem brought them out into these empty streets. And of course, once they found the food sources that were there, it brings them in in larger numbers. If boars have been spotted in Tulkarem, they likely came to town searching for food. Now they can be aggressive. And one thing for sure they multiply rapidly. So this invasion in Tulkarem could be a real problem, but I seriously doubt if those pigs were trucked in by the Israeli army.
S1: Charlie, one last question. How much of an impact has the resumed fighting in Gaza made on Hamas's willingness to negotiate?
S2: Not as much as we might like. Israel has been trying to pressure Hamas, and certainly they have been. But they actually have a manpower shortage in the Israeli army. They're not able to do as much pressure as they'd like. And of course, they have to be very careful because there are hostages in certain areas, so they can't go everywhere that they would like to go. So the reality is they're putting pressure on. But Hamas is willing to put up with that pressure. And the world as they watch the situation in Gaza devolve, is getting more panicked and putting more pressure on Israel itself. So it's not working the way Israel had hoped.
S1: Is there a pressure point that Israel could go with it? They just have not taken advantage of yet.
S2: Only if they're willing to risk the lives of the hostages. And that's the real issue. They can't do everything they want to do because of the hostages.
S1: And that's a look at current events, Vance understanding who the characters at the Cross of Christ really were, their motivations, and so on. That's our focus next on the land and the book. Nothing more appropriate at Easter time than to consider the cast of characters at the cross. This is the land and the book. I'm John Gager, and if you were with us last week, Doctor Woodrow Crowe helped us understand just a few of those characters. But there are many, many, many. When you actually dig through the account, read the scriptures for yourself. A surprisingly long list of characters. We didn't get through them. There's more to come right now on the land and the book. First, though, I want you to pause with me and think about another great idea for you and I sharing the love of Jesus with a Jewish friend or coworker or neighbor that God has placed across our path. Listen to this When you and I are building friendships, relationships with our Jewish friends, there's a point at which we're sharing of ourselves, of our own lives. And whether that is our faith or whether it's day to day stuff, I think there's room for being transparent, don't you think? Let's ask Justin Crone of Chosen People Ministries.
S3: Yeah. I think we should always be looking for opportunities to be sharing what is God teaching us in our lives? Yeah. Um, what are we learning? You know, if you're going to church, if you're listening to Christian radio, if you're reading good Christian books, you're learning something and hopefully benefiting from what you're learning. So share that with them. Say, you know, I was in church this this week and heard a great message on marriage. There's a good chance that your married friend, your married Jewish friend, might learn just as much as you will. Um, and so that's what I would say. I'd take advantage of those opportunities to share who you are.
S1: You know, it reminds me of a preacher who reminded me that the original Greek on the construction of Matthew 28. Go and make disciples. It's actually in your going as you go make disciples. So what you're saying, Justin, is as you're having conversation, as you're doing life, you know, just involve them.
S3: Exactly right. So be authentic about who you are. Live your life. But while you do it, remember that you are an ambassador. You are a representative of Jesus and of the greatest message in the world.
S1: Always great to check in with Justin Crone, who's with Chosen People Ministries, and his advice for us today on the land and the book. We are so glad to be connecting again with Doctor Woodrow Kroll. You heard him for many years, perhaps on back to the Bible. Maybe you've read one of his books. He's got a long and grand tradition serving Christ as president of Davis College for 23 years, as chairman of the religion department at Liberty University, all kinds of great achievements. He's led tons of tourists to the Holy Land, and he set me on my very first and only archaeological quest in the Holy Land to somehow find a coin in the dust. I have yet to achieve that in my trips, Doctor Kroll.
S4: There. There.
S1: Someday I'd like to. I bought a couple, but I haven't discovered any.
S4: Sure.
S1: Nevertheless, we're glad to have you back. Thanks for being willing to come back to the program.
S4: My pleasure. John.
S1: Well, we're looking at the cast of characters at the cross. And as you pointed out last week, there are far more than we usually think of. I think it behooves us to kind of give that a careful look, don't you?
S4: Yeah, it does, because, you know, these are important people. Some of them are not very well known. Others are very well known. But they're all important to the story.
S1: Well, very central in the account would be the life and questionable legacy, if you will, of Herod Antipas. You called him the man who wanted to be entertained. Let's start with his life.
S4: Herod was a chump. I mean, he was just a bad guy from the get go. He's the guy who Herod Antipas, who saw his brother Philip's wife, took a liking to her, had her divorce, his brother, half brother actually and he married her. So now he has a wife that was his brother's wife. Without his brother dying, that was a no no. You know, if Philip had died, the law of marriage would have come in and he could have married her. But he was sinning both against Jewish law and against Roman law. So he's really a chump from the word go. And, you know, he oversaw a period of history where Jesus was traveling through Galilee. And the area that Herod Antipas was in charge of was up north of Galilee. So he obviously knew Jesus, but he had never seen Jesus. He'd never seen a miracle. He'd never seen Jesus teaching. So he was anxious for Jesus to entertain him. So when when Pilate heard that Jesus was a Galilean. And since Herod was in town from Galilee, as it was the Passover weekend. Pilate tried to sneak out of his responsibility and send Jesus to. Herod. But as we know from the gospel accounts, Herod was having none of it. All he wanted to do was to see Jesus meet Jesus and see a miracle. Have Jesus performed tricks? And as a result, Jesus didn't say a word. Uh, they finally were disrupted by his lack of attention to Herod. And as a result, they began to beat him. And they put his robe on him, and they sent him back to Pilate. So we have a guy here who is the son of Herod the Great, but did not have the character of Herod the Great.
S1: Doctor Woodrow Krul's life has been spent either in the classroom or the recording studio. Today, we're honored that he's connected with our studio here at The Land and the book. As we look at some of the characters at the crucifixion. Well, the Sanhedrin are sometimes, I think, maybe overlooked. We see them in our ignorance as sort of this, you know, ruling religious group. But they were more than that. They were sort of the Supreme Court of ancient Israel, were they not?
S4: They were indeed. In fact, they were the most powerful people in Israel, second only to the head of the Sanhedrin, and that would be the high priest. In this case, it was Caiaphas. So the sanhedrin's job was to hear cases from the people brought to them by the lawyers or the individuals themselves make a decision, and their decision was final. No appeal. But the Sanhedrin was not exactly a just group by this time. The poison that Anas brought to the whole judicial system, the poison that Caiaphas brought to the judicial system also was imbibed by the Sanhedrin. So they're not exactly, uh, an impartial Supreme Court. They've been swayed against Jesus. When Jesus first met the Sanhedrin, probably around midnight on the day he was crucified, there were not an entire 70 people there. They only could get perhaps a quorum together, because in the morning they had to meet a second time to ratify the decision of the Sanhedrin. At night and at night, when Jesus was being questioned by them, the Sanhedrin spit in Jesus face. They beat on him. They mocked him. And these are the religious leaders of Israel. So they're really a corrupt bunch by this point. They have no understanding of who it is that they were mocking.
S1: I want to talk about the mob, The Jerusalem mob. You've described them as pawns of the religious leaders. My question is, did these people just happen to be at the right place, at the right time to be part of this mob, or were they hand-picked, you know, were they offered a bribe? Or was it more of, you know, perform or die?
S4: Yeah, I think it's a combination of perhaps all of those things. Some of them probably were just out in the street and got caught up in the moment. Others, I think, were placed there so that the Sanhedrin could whip up the crowd into a frenzy, make sure that they chose Barabbas, make sure that they would not accept anything except crucifixion for Jesus. And the crowd clearly was manipulated by the Sanhedrin and most importantly, by Caiaphas himself. There were members of the Sanhedrin in that mob, and obviously they're there giving directions to the people there. And as I say, they're whipping them into a frenzy So that they have the result they want, and that is for the Romans to crucify Jesus.
S1: What about the actual Roman killing squad? These are these are elite Roman executioners. What do we need to know about them, Doctor Kroll?
S4: Uh, you have it, right? They are elite executioners. And by that I mean these people. These men of the Roman army were trained specifically to crucify people. And their one and only job was crucifixion. So they knew exactly where to put the nails to nail a person to a cross. The centurion knew exactly where to pierce Jesus side, to make sure the dart would go into his heart and kill him if he was still alive. They knew so much about medicine and so much about killing, and you put those two things together and you have people who are dedicated to death, dedicated to seeing that Jesus dies on the cross and dedicated to making his time on the cross as painful as they can possibly do it. We know from other historical records others who wrote Josephus and other historians that people would be crucified on the cross in various positions, not always upright, not always with head to the ground, but sometimes sideways. Sometimes they would be crucified backwards. It was a sport to the Romans, and they would make sure that crucifixion by the killing squad was as painful as public, and as difficult as it could be for the one that they were crucifying.
S1: We're talking with Doctor Woodrow Kroll, an expert on Roman crucifixion. You mentioned the Roman centurion. Let's go there because his story has a happier ending.
S4: Yeah, it does. And I'm so glad for this man. Um, there are really only two people in the crucifixion story that do have a happy ending, and that would be the Centurion and of course, the thief on the cross who turned to Jesus in faith. His job as a centurion was to lead a band of soldiers, usually 80, in the band, uh, sometimes more. The word centurion implies a hundred. And maybe originally it was a hundred, but it's a large group of men, and he commands a lot of respect. He respects his troops. He respects his killing squad because he knows they are experts at what they do. And his story is delightful because when he views Jesus on the cross, when the curtains is severed, when the earthquake occurs, I mean, these are things you don't just brush aside if you're in the middle of an earthquake, you know you're in the middle of an earthquake. And while they had lots of them in this part of the country, all these things happening simultaneously had an effect on this centurion. And when he hears Jesus say, father, forgive them. I think it changed this man's heart. It changed his life. And as a result, I think he really and genuinely came to faith in the Savior. And, um, you know, in church history, there are all kinds of stories about this man after the crucifixion. None of them can be verified, but nonetheless, they all point to the, uh, indication that this man, in fact, did become a follower of Jesus.
S1: There were faithful women there at the cross among them, of course, Mary, the mother of Jesus and Mary Magdalene. Your thoughts?
S4: Yeah. Some of the women who were at the cross were very well unknown. You know, Joanna, for example, we don't know much about her. The other Mary. Who is the other Mary? Yeah, but Mary Magdalene and Mary, the mother of Jesus, two very important women, both of them at the cross. And both of them deserve special recognition. Mary, the mother of Jesus, is not very often mentioned in the New Testament. She's mentioned in the birth narrative. She's mentioned where Jesus is turning water to wine. She's mentioned at the crucifixion, but we really don't know very much about her from the New Testament. We actually know more about Mary Magdalene. Mary Magdalene was infested with these demons, and Jesus cast them out of her. She was grateful, of course, but I think she believed the message of Jesus. She. She was a follower of Jesus, not out of gratitude, but out of faith. And as a result, everywhere the disciples went. Mary and some of the other women who were faithful to the Lord Jesus. They went with them and their responsibility. Their role with all this was, uh, more or less household chores. Um, if, uh, let's say Peter ripped his robe and needed it stitched. Uh, chances are one of the ladies with them in the group would do the stitching. That's why I say their household kind of things. Um, this is a male dominated society. So to have Mary Magdalene as well known as she was, and have the place of recognition in church history as she has, uh, that's a pretty unique thing because in the Roman Empire, women had no say. They couldn't vote. They, you know, they were treated as second class citizens. And yet here we have Mary Magdalene being praised by Jesus, which is a very unique thing.
S1: Well, there are many, many, many other characters who were there at the cross, the crucifixion, and we invite you to dig into them as you dig into Doctor Crowell's book. A link to that at our website. The land and the book. I always feel like I'm, you know, only halfway getting started when the clock says, we got to quit. But we'll connect again, brother.
S4: Thank you so much, John.
S1: Doctor Woodrow Kroll here on the land. And the book. Don't go away. Bible questions and answers. Coming up next with Doctor Gerald Peterman here on the land and the book. Hey, it's a great day at the land and the book. I say it's a great day because you're here with us and because Doctor Gerald Peterman is with us and his Bible is open, his smile is ready, and and your questions are coming in. And we love it. By the way, you can email any Bible question you have any old time to the land and the book at Moody's. That's what this segment is about. It's about you, not about us. The land and the book at Moody's. You know, before we get to our first stack of questions, though, Doctor Peterman, you know, most Jewish people have never heard the gospel. And each week we talk about Israel and the Jewish people. And it's important to remember that they, like everyone else, need to hear the good news and life in Messiah. A ministry in existence now for over 135 years, is devoted to just that sharing the gospel with Jewish people around the world. And now I think this is pretty cool, Jerry. They're offering a gift to moody listeners. This free e-book, Reaching Jewish People for Messiah, highlights the need for the gospel among the Jewish people and will equip you with practical ways to share the Good News with them. To receive this free e-book, visit Life in Messiah. Org. What you're going to want to do is click on the Moody Radio logo. You can't miss their life in Messiah org. Click on the Moody Radio logo and sign up today to get your copy. Well, let's dive right into our questions, starting with this one from Cindy. She says, hi Moody Radio and we say hi. Back to you, Cindy. Indeed. And she wants to know if Isaiah lived during the times of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz and Hezekiah. How old would he have been when he died? She says, I checked some commentaries which said between 65 and 70, but I don't think that works. I just started a study on Isaiah, and I'm wondering, what do you think?
S5: Well, thanks for the question. As you rightly mentioned, we come to Isaiah one and it says the vision of Isaiah, the son of Amos, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem during the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah. Now, if we go to the call of Isaiah in chapter six, we see that almost certainly that's where he gets called. In that year, King Uzziah died. I saw the Lord sitting on the throne, high and lifted up. What year did he die? That was 739 BC, So we don't know how old Isaiah was when he got this call. I'm just going to start with, say, 20 to get us going. But King Hezekiah dies around 686. So if we subtract 686 from 739, which we can do with our calculator, right? We get 54 years. So that's pretty close. Around 74, 75 years is the end of Isaiah's ministry. Now when did he die? We don't know because the Old Testament doesn't tell us.
S1: All right, well, hope that's somewhat satisfying. Cindy, we'll go on to Christine's question. She says during a women's Bible study, we were discussing predestination in the context of the first chapter of Ephesians, and one woman said that she believed in protectionism. I'd never heard of this before, so I had to do some research. It seems to combine the best parts of Calvinism and Arminianism, making for a more loving Jesus that doesn't condemn anyone to hell before they're ever born, but makes it the person's own fault if they do end up in hell because they didn't choose Jesus. Can you give me your opinion, your insights on provision?
S5: Well, thanks so much for the question. And this can be a really complex conversation. So I'll cut straight to the point. On the one hand, I really appreciate what Doctor Flowers is trying to do, because what Doctor Flowers is trying to do is to emphasize the fact that you and I have a God given ability to make our own choices, and our choices really matter.
S1: We're referring to Doctor Flowers from Trinity Theological Seminary who's teaching this theory? Yes, indeed. Go on. Yeah.
S5: And I want to affirm that as well, that we make our own real choices as humans. And those choices matter. I also want to affirm that God is sovereign over everything that happens, and that somehow our choices and God's sovereignty can work together. That is a mystery, but I think we must affirm both of them. But on the other hand, there are many things about professionalism we can talk about. I'll just mention one as a focus. Provision ism asserts that the Holy Spirit does not need to work in us so that we can hear and understand the message. The Holy Spirit only works on the outside of us with some sort of influences. Let's go to acts chapter 16. What do we find in acts 16? We find Paul preaching in Philippi. Yes. The first time the gospel comes to that city, and he goes outside the city where there's a group of Jewish women by the river praying, and he starts preaching to them. And what do we find? We find that the Lord opened the heart of Lydia from the city of Thyatira, a seller of purple goods, so that she could pay attention to what Paul said. That's verse 14 of acts 16. So in other words, she did believe. She did come to confess Christ, but God worked in her heart. So I think it's very important that we affirm that God works in us so we can come to believe.
S1: That's Doctor Gerald Peterman. This is the land and the book. We're taking Bible questions from you. You can email yours to the Land and the book at Moody's. You'll get a personalized response from Jerry, and then we'll put your question in the Q, line it up and get it aired. A question now from Christina. Can you recommend some Bible study resources for women?
S5: I can because Moody has a big supply. Here are three I can mention. Seeking Him by Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth Moody, 2019. Also by Nancy Lies. Women believe, and the truth that Sets them free. And lastly, a book on the life of Ruth, The Way Home God's Invitation to New Beginnings by Tessa Afshar. Also by Moody. All of these are super choices. They got study guides to go with them, so I commend you. Happy studying.
S1: And Tessa has recently been a guest on The Land and the book, so.
S5: All the.
S1: Better. Yeah, we we think very highly of her ministry and of course Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth as well. Thank you for that. All right. Brooke's question. She says I'm beginning an expository study in the book of Luke. Question concerning Jesus possible deeper meanings into some of his phrases. For example, when you go over chapter 22, verses 16 through 18, Jesus is talking about the Passover meal and refers to quote, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God. And again I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes. Could you expand on the deeper meanings of the references to the it and fruit of the vine?
S5: Well, thanks for the question. Let's start with Luke 2215. Our Lord says, I have earnestly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. Passover is one of the three yearly required feasts for all the Jews in Deuteronomy 16. Then, then our Lord says, for I tell you, I will not eat it again until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God. So here in verses 16 and 17, it refers to the Passover meal. That meal always looked forward to Christ, and it finds its fulfillment in Christ. Oh, by the way, in first Corinthians five seven, Paul says, Jesus, our Passover has been sacrificed for us. So in Luke 22, this is the last Passover before Jesus dies. And it's going to be fulfilled in revelation where the writer says, blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the lamb. That is revelation 1909. So lastly, in the Passover, there's actual real wine being drunk. So he says, the fruit of the vine. That's a typical Jewish way of referring to wine.
S1: Great answer. Thank you for spelling that out for us. Eric's question what is the reason why the Lord told the children of Israel not to eat animal fat described in Leviticus seven, verse 22. In the Bible, the Lord also mentioned that the children of Israel should not eat certain meats such as pork. That's Deuteronomy 14, verse eight. Eric wants to know, do these commands not to eat animal fat? Not to eat pork. Apply to Christians today. He says, I ask these questions since I'm reading a book. None of these diseases, which implies that people should not eat animal fat based on what is said in scripture. Your thoughts?
S5: Oh, this is a very important question. I totally understand it. A very good set of questions here. So for some of them, the answer is pretty easy. For others, not so much. Let's start with blood. Okay. Blood is not to be eaten. What do we learn from Leviticus and several different places? Right in the blood is the life. And the life is given for your atonement. So the blood is not ours. It belongs to the Lord because it is given on our behalf for atonement. Now, what about fat? With fat it's a little bit more difficult. But there are a couple of places in Scripture where fat seems to be the best part of something. You remember when Pharaoh invited Joseph to bring his family down with him to Egypt, right? And what did the Pharaoh say? He says, you shall be in the best part of Egypt. You shall eat the fat of the land. That is, you're going to be enjoying the best parts. So the fat is being viewed as the best part, and the best part belongs to the Lord. The fat belongs to the Lord. The blood belongs to the Lord. Now there's a further question. What about pork? And what's wrong with pork? There are a couple of places in Scripture that associate pork with pagan religious practices. Read Isaiah 65, verses four and five and Isaiah 66. Verses three and 1765 four says, those who sit in tombs and spend the night in secret places, who eat pig's flesh and the broth of tainted meat. So there appears to be a connection between eating pig's meat and having some sort of pagan practice. Lastly, there's a question about the Christians relationship to the law. And here's my perspective. The law is just chock full of wisdom. We can learn a lot from it, but I take it the only parts of the law that are obligatory for us are the parts repeated in the New Testament.
S1: Thank you for that. That's very clarifying. Appreciate it. And again, if you've got a question, why not get an answer? As you cruise through scripture, something boggles your mind, troubles your soul, or just arrests your attention. It's welcome. Fair game. When you email us at The Land and the Book at Moody's, our website, by the way, where we've got information about today's guest and past programs and future programs and more is the land and the book.org. Well, don't go away. One more great segment to come. It's Charlie Dyer and his devotional right here on the land and the book. Willie Nelson sang about being on the road again. Scott Peck wrote about the road less traveled. But today we're about to ponder the road to Calvary. Welcome back to the land and the book segment for I'm John Gager with our host, Charlie Dyer. What's ahead in today's devotional, Charlie?
S2: Well, John, it's Easter weekend and we're looking at the road to Calvary.
S1: Okay, look forward to your perspective on that after we pause for another experience from somebody who's been to the Holy Land and shares this testimony with you and me.
S6: Hello. I went to Israel back in 1959. I am now 77 years old, but I was very fortunate to go and teach school in Egypt, in Cairo. And over the Easter holiday, a friend and I were able to go to Israel. We were able to fly into Israel and, um, we were able to see the Mount of Olives, Garden of Gethsemane. Uh, we went to the Dead Sea and touched our foot into it. We were on a rowboat across The Jordan River. We went on Easter morning to the Garden Tomb and were able to sit there and quietly just sit there and meditate. I've wished ever since to be able to go back, but yet I still see Jerusalem. I still see the river. Oh thank you.
S1: It's Easter weekend and no more fitting a devotional than this one that you've titled The Road to Calvary. Charlie, I'll let you take it away.
S2: Thanks, John. Inside old Jerusalem, the sun's rays reflect off the limestone walls, its brightness giving the city almost a black and white look of an old photograph. And yet, in spite of the heat, the streets during Holy Week are alive with activity. A group of pilgrims wearing brightly colored hats that mark them as tourists snake their way down the traditional Via Dolorosa, the way of sorrow traveled by Jesus on his final journey to Calvary. They walked carefully down the stone paved streets, its limestone blocks worn to a slippery smoothness. Every few yards, they step around a puddle of water or a pile of garbage left over reminders that people still live and work in the houses and shops that crowd against the street on every side. Trying to ignore these distractions, the pilgrims attempt to focus on the incredible events that unfolded in this tiny city 20 centuries ago. They want to experience what it was like during that Passover, when the Lamb of God was slain for the sins of the world. They try to imagine the physical pain felt by our Lord, the anguish and fear of his followers, the harsh shouts of the guards marching the condemned prisoners to the place of death. But the cries of vendors calling from shops shatters that sacred moment. 30 postcards, $1 hand carved olive wood crosses. You are my first customer. I'll make you a special deal. Any last hope for pious reflection is shattered when the group finds the via de la Rosa temporarily blocked by a Coca-Cola truck making deliveries. At first glance, this commercialism seems to mock the sacredness of the site. But as is so often the case in the Middle East, the profane hawking of religious trinkets is probably closer to the reality of the day Jesus hung on the cross than the sacred veil we try to drape over the event. The day the soldiers marched Jesus through Jerusalem, the streets were also lined with vendors hoping for a profitable holiday shopping season. They shouted at those passing by to stop and shop at their stores, offering the latest in lamps, oil, cloth, leather and other items needed by the pilgrims coming to worship at the temple. Likely, the vendors paused briefly as several condemned criminals were shoved down the street, the wooden beams of their crosses lashed to their shoulders. Shopkeepers and shoppers alike retreated into the stores, not wanting to block the way or attract the attention of these brutal soldiers. But scarcely had the grotesque parade marched past when the stores reopened and the bargaining began anew. What was the day of Christ's crucifixion really like? Jesus was not the quiet, impassive savior carrying the T-shaped cross while dressed in white. He was bruised and bloody, caked with dirt and stained with sweat. The cross beam he was carrying was coarse, rough hewn, splintered. It was the work of a soldier, not a craftsman. Its purpose was utilitarian, not aesthetic. It represented death. Crosses today are too symmetrical, too polished, too shiny, too perfect. They're more decoration than declaration, more fashion statement than faith. And Jesus didn't carry his cross to a grass covered hill far away. The place of crucifixion stood outside the gate along the road, so those traveling by could see the ugly horror of capital punishment. And think twice about defying the government of Rome. The authorities intended for the accusation, posted over the head of the condemned, to be read by those passing by, so they would know why the individual had to die. This was also a time to practice a crude form of victims rights. Those who had been harmed by the condemned individual could now vent their anger and derision. They could mock, curse, even spit on the one who had caused them such pain and grief in the past. At Jesus's crucifixion, it was the religious leaders who rejoiced over the pain and suffering he was experiencing. And yet then, as now, most simply chose to ignore Christ's crucifixion. Maybe they were too busy shopping, or cleaning, or cooking, or preparing for Passover to notice the brutal parade, or hear the hammer blows as iron nails push through human flesh and embedded in wood. Others perhaps knew and even were troubled by the events of that day, but they were too afraid or distracted or apathetic to do anything. For whatever reason, the crowd that gathered around the cross was largely composed of religious leaders and Roman soldiers. Only a few of Jesus's followers dared to gather and watch. Before that day ended, Jesus's lifeless body was pulled from the cross and handed to Joseph of Arimathea for a hasty burial. The sun was setting. Passover was at hand, and it was no time for the smell of death to permeate the homes of Jerusalem. Jesus died amid two thieves, but he was buried in the new grave of a wealthy man. And yet, even in death, he was the subject of controversy. The religious leaders remembered his promise to rise from the dead, and asked the Romans to seal and guard the grave. But Sunday morning brought the declaration of Jesus's victory over sin and death. God shattered the stillness of the early morning, shook the earth, rolled away the stone, and posted his own angelic guards to make sure all who came knew that he is not here. He has risen just as he said. My favorite spot in Jerusalem is not the via de la Rosa, or the church of the Holy Sepulchre, or even the hill often called Gordon's Calvary. Those are special, and they're meaningful, and they're haunting in the spiritual hold they've had on generations of pilgrims. But the spot that excites me most is the Garden Tomb, and the simple sign that used to hang on its now removed door, which read he is not here, for he is risen. We don't worship the grave. We worship the Son of God who rose from that grave. Places are important because they do remind us of the reality of the events that occurred there. But always remember, our hope rests in a living Savior, not a cold slab of limestone that once served as the temporary resting place for his human body over two centuries ago. Isaac Watts pondered the death and resurrection of Christ, and the response we as believers should have to such an incredible act of love. Listen and reflect on the words he penned. Alas! And did my Savior bleed? And did my sovereign die? Would he devote that sacred head for such a worm as I? Was it for crimes that I had done? He groaned upon the tree. Amazing pity, grace unknown, and love beyond degree. Well, might the sun in darkness hide and shut its glories in. When God, the mighty maker died for man the creature's sin. Thus might I hide my blushing face. While his dear cross appears. Dissolve my heart in thankfulness, and melt my eyes to tears. But drops of grief can never repay the debt of love I owe here. Lord, I give myself away. Tis all that I can do.
S1: Thank you, Charlie, for taking us down the road to Calvary. Maybe for you. It's finally making sense that Jesus died on that cross, not just because he was some rabble rouser, but because he was really there to pay for our wrongdoing, our sins. And you don't know what to do with that. A friend is willing to pray with you. Explain how you can know Jesus as your Savior right now. If you'll just call 888 need him. 888 need him. We sure appreciate it. When you visit our website, the Land and Thebook. Org. Do check out the podcast. It's available not just for you, but your friends as well. And be sure to email us your question about the Bible prophecy. Anything that's going on in your your life as you walk with God. That question is welcome at the land and the book at Moody. Well, our time has gone. Been a fun, fast paced hour. Glad to have shared that with you. I want to say thank you to our producer, Dan Anderson, our host, Charlie Dyer. I'm John Yeager, reminding you that the land and the book is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.