S1: What does Gen Z think about Israel? Born between 1997 and 2012, these Americans have their own take on the Arab-Israeli conflict. To them, facts seem to matter less than feelings, and their feelings are predominantly anti-Israel. Why do they think the way they do, and how can we engage them in respectful dialogue? Welcome to the land and the book, where we're about to engage in an eye opening discussion about Gen Z and the Israel conflict. Our host is Doctor Charlie Dyer, a guy who's traveled to the Middle East more than 100 times. I'm his sidekick, John Gager. And, you know, many people wonder, what does Passover mean for us as believers in Jesus, Charlie? Some might remember the story from the book of Exodus, but there's so much more to it. For example, did you know that the Last Supper was actually a Passover meal? Not only did Jesus and his disciples celebrate Passover, it also foreshadowed his death on the cross for our redemption.
S2: Jewish people have been keeping the feast of Passover for thousands of years. Understanding the history and importance of this holiday will help you better connect with your Jewish friends and neighbors. And what better way is there to learn about Passover than to experience a Passover Seder yourself? If you've never celebrated Passover? Our friends at Life and Messiah would love to partner with you in hosting a Seder experience. Every year, their staff engage churches and small groups in an interactive Messiah in the Passover Seder, allowing participants to taste and see the redemption story. If you're interested in having someone come and lead a Seder in your area, visit Life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button there to learn more. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: Well, a new year brings a fresh slate. An open calendar of still unknown possibilities and problems. Charlie, we know you're not a prophet, but with what we know right now, could I just ask, what might the New Year have in store for Israel and the Middle East at large in terms of war? Could a period of peace finally break out?
S2: You know, I'm not a prophet, but I like to go to the Bible because it provides good answers. And in this case, when Jesus talked about the future for Israel, he told his disciples they would hear of wars and rumors of wars. And then he added, but see that you're not frightened. And I think that's a good general application for us. It does look like the fighting between Israel, Hezbollah and Hamas could be winding down. It's possible a deal will be reached to release the remaining hostages who've been held by Hamas for over a year. That would be celebrated in Israel, though it will come at a price. Hezbollah has been severely degraded, and they're unlikely to try to resume the fight with Israel any time in the near future. Both of these are good outcomes, but that doesn't mean the region is heading into a time of peace. One of the key sticking points will remain Israel's conflict with the Palestinians. President elect Trump will push to reinvigorate the Abraham Accords, hoping to have Saudi Arabia and Israel sign a peace treaty. Were that to happen, it's likely that many other Muslim countries would join in. But the Saudis have said they won't do this until Israel provides a pathway forward for a Palestinian state. And Israel is very reluctant to do that. It's even more of a problem right now, since many believe the Palestinian Authority is in danger of collapsing, just like the government of Syria did at the end of the year. Most Palestinians detest the Palestinian Authority for its corruption. They would prefer an Islamic group like Hamas over the current system of nepotism and dishonesty. Islamic fundamentalists around Jenin and Tulkarem are already pushing to replace the Palestinian Authority. Israel's wars against Hamas and Hezbollah could be replaced with a renewed fight against Islamic fundamentalists in the West Bank area, very similar to the conflict during the first and second intifadas. Iran has already begun trying to stir up trouble in the area, as a way of regaining a measure of influence and relevance following the defeat of the other members of their so-called Axis of Resistance. Israel will be keeping a close eye on any upsurge in conflict with the Palestinians, and so will we.
S1: Well, you mentioned in passing the collapse of Syria and the setbacks faced by Iran. I'd like to follow up on that by asking about both countries, what might be in store for Syria, and what about Iran, too? As the new year begins, and particularly as a new US president takes office?
S2: Yeah, well, everyone's cheering the fall of the Assad regime in Syria. It's still unclear what the government that eventually replaces him is going to look like. One real possibility is that Syria could develop into civil war with the different ethnic and religious groups fighting one another. A second possibility, though, is that the rebel jihadist groups, including those aligned with the Muslim Brotherhood, Al Qaeda and ISIS, could unite and turn Syria into an Islamic fundamentalist state ruled by Sharia law. Now that's a very real concern. The third scenario is that Turkey will move in to replace Iran as the dominant influence in Syria, helping to prop up and maintain Syria's new leader. That could also spell trouble for the Kurdish groups in Syria. Iran definitely suffered a reversal in fortune as the last year drew to a close. They lost their main threat to Israel, which were the forces of Hezbollah and Lebanon. And that was followed by the fall of Syria, which was their main supply route for Hezbollah. They were also hoping to use Syria's border with Israel to open up still another front similar to that in Lebanon. Israel has now made that an impossibility by taking control of the area along the border, and by destroying Syria's arsenal of weapons. In addition, Israel decimated Iran's and Syria's air defenses, leaving Iran open to air attack by Israel or the US. Iran's public statements are still full of bravado, but privately they're feeling vulnerable. President elect Trump might just be the wild card to help keep things from spiraling out of control. Iran sees him as unpredictable and as someone who's willing to act until Iran knows what his goals and his red lines are in the region. They'll likely tread lightly.
S1: If you're joining us midstream, that's Doctor Charlie Dyer, noted Middle East expert. I'm John Gager. Taking a look at the New Year and what it might just bring in the Middle East, an obvious concern as we begin this new year remains Iran's nuclear program. Will the New Year see a resolution to their nuclear threat, or could this be the next major point of conflict? What is the status, though? Any impact from the recent Israeli attack? Well, the.
S2: Reports coming out of that region suggest Iran is now racing to increase its stockpile of highly enriched uranium. The best guess I've seen is that they've amassed enough uranium at that high level to eventually assemble up to 10 or 12 nuclear devices. However, they've apparently not yet begun actually assembling those bombs. Israel and the US both have said they won't allow Iran to possess nuclear weapons, so it appears something is going to need to happen this year. What's not known is how President Trump will handle the situation. Having taken the US out of the previous nuclear agreement, it's possible he'll seek to replace that with a stronger agreement to keep Iran from becoming a nuclear power. It's also possible he'll move more forcefully, perhaps with Israel, to set back Iran's program by attacking the facilities where uranium is being processed. Certainly, a credible threat to eliminate Iran's nuclear program could be the incentive needed to get Iran to agree to a more realistic treaty. Some dismiss the threat, though, of a nuclear Iran, saying even if Iran were to possess nuclear weapons, no rational government would ever use them because it would assure their own destruction. But that kind of an argument ignores the fact that Iran is controlled by religious clerics, whose version of reality is shaped by Shiite eschatology, which believes a worldwide conflagration is necessary for the arrival of the Mahdi, the Islamic messiah. The one thing that does seem certain, though this could be the year when the future of Iran's nuclear program will get decided.
S1: Finally, what will the New Year bring in terms of tourism? Will Israel finally see a return of tourists in large numbers, or will the situation in the Middle East continue to keep people away?
S2: You know, John, I had to guard myself to keep from becoming overly optimistic here, but I am excited. I'm an optimist in this regard. I do expect tourism to start out slowly in 2025, but as people see the wars against Hamas and Hezbollah starting to appear in their rear view mirror, the pent up demand to visit the lands of the Bible is going to. I think once again, pick up and look for those tourists to begin in the early spring. Now some of these will be smaller groups, but the size will gradually increase by the fall. I think Israel will see solid numbers of tourists from the U.S. traveling there. Those traveling in the spring will experience two realities. The first is that all the logistics might still be a bit rusty. Hotels, sites, buses, the restaurants, they're going to be just coming back online. And some of the staff might still be in military service. But on the other side of the scale, the sites will be relatively empty. There's nothing like having a site all to yourself now. As the year goes on and tourism increases, the sites will return to a more normal level of tourism. Personally, my next trip, John, is in early November. That'll give Israel, I hope, enough time to get everything running smoothly while still not becoming too crowded. Israel was shut down for almost two years because of Covid. They returned to normal, only to be shut down again following Hamas's attack back in October of 2023. That's created a lot of pent up demand for tourism, demand that I think is soon going to be unleashed. And when it is, I'm looking for a flood of tourists and I think it's going to start this year.
S1: Charlie, how likely is it that in this calendar year, the trial against Netanyahu will, one way or another, wrap up?
S2: You know, they're actually predicting that it won't wrap up and it could go on into 2026. And then they say even then, there could be appeals to the Supreme Court. So it could extend beyond that. It's the trial that will never end.
S1: Well, as we move further into this new year, one great resolution you might make is to notify the station of your own appreciation for the broadcast. You know, they got lots of folks vying for airtime. Other requests. But they have kindly made space for this broadcast that you enjoy. Why not thank them with a card, a letter, an email, a phone call, whatever you might choose. Appreciate your doing that on our behalf. And coming up, a great conversation about what Gen Z thinks about Israel and how we can engage them in a respectful way. Next on the land and the book. What does Gen Z think about Israel? Born between 1997 and 2012, these Americans have their own take on the Arab-Israeli conflict. To them, facts seem to matter less than feelings, and their feelings are predominantly anti-Israel. Why do they think the way they do? How can we engage them in respectful, constructive dialogue? This is the land and the book. I'm John Gager, and boy, have we got an important conversation ahead. Before we dig in, though, let's ask ourselves how we can be more intentional in sharing Christ with a Jewish friend or neighbor or coworker. Well, there you are. And you have started a friendship with a Jewish friend, and you're wondering what's a first step in reaching out to them with Messiah Jesus? That's a question we'll throw at Eva Radonic. What do you say? What's a first.
S3: Step? I think the first step is to have a genuine personal relationship. You know, just to begin communication. And I think this is true with non-Jewish people as well as Jewish people, that if you want to share the person that you love the most in the world with a person that you're just getting to know, it has to begin with friendship.
S1: I think of former Moody Bible Institute President Michael Easley. He said, for a friendship to develop, you have to have two things common interests and time. Yes.
S3: Got to spend time together. Exactly. Common interest in the time. So what you look for are things that you have in common. And then look for opportunities to spend time together. And as a result of those two elements, then conversation will come up. And, you know, prayerfully that conversation can be directed toward the Messiah.
S1: It's interesting what you're saying, because I think a lot of times we want to jump right to that conversation so quickly, and that might well be ill advised. You're saying, right.
S3: Because if you go right to the conversation before they're ready to hear, the door closes and it's very hard to pull that door open once it's shut.
S1: How to take a good first step? That's Eva Radonich, adjunct faculty member at the Moody Bible Institute here on the land and the book doctor. Jeff Myers is president of Summit Ministries. As an educator, Doctor Myers has become one of America's most respected authorities on youth leadership development. Through his speaking engagements and media appearances, Doctor Myers has become a fresh voice, offering humor and insight from a Christian worldview. He's authored 18 books, including Should Christians Support Israel? We had him on to talk about that. Jeff and his wife Stephanie and their family live in Colorado, and we are really glad to connect with you again here on the land and the book. Jeff.
S4: John, I'm looking forward to the conversation.
S1: All right. Let's begin with a statistical look at the problem in a New York Times Siena poll from December. 55% of respondents ages 18 to 29 oppose the United States sending more aid to Israel, 55%. Another poll from Quinnipiac University in November found that 52% of voters under 35 are more sympathetic to the Palestinians. On TikTok, where half the users are under 30. Hashtag Free Palestine has 31 billion posts, compared to 590 million for hashtag stand with Israel. More than 50 times as many. So what are we to make of all this? That's our discussion now with Doctor Jeff Myers. Jeff is the essential problem that Gen Z is less influenced by facts, or that they're believing lies that have been sold as facts.
S4: Those polls you gave are very important. I would add one to it. A poll that we did asking Gen Z questions about Israel. And I think what we discovered in our poll is this Gen Z believes that Israel has greater wealth and military power, and by definition, they believe that makes their cause against Hamas unjust. So where did that idea come from? That Israel is a bully and they need to be shut down. Some of it's our own parenting. We taught our kids not to be bullies and to stand against bullies. We didn't realize, though, how the education system and social media platforms like TikTok, where 40% of Gen Z gets their news, weaponize that and turn it into an oppressor versus oppressed narrative that fits into a radical agenda.
S1: So what are some other myths that, or maybe half truths that Gen Z has bought into?
S4: One big question was the question of proportionality. If Israel has greater military power and their actions against Hamas are blistering and affecting civilians, is that a proportional response to the October 7th massacre, in which 1200 Israelis were killed, raped and mutilated and 254 more taken hostage? And I think what I realized along the way is that proportionality is based on the threat, not based on the number of deaths. A war is not an eye for an eye situation. A war is trying to eliminate the source of some evil. So the alternative to a just peace is a shameful peace. And Israel, clearly in this situation, after having put up with groups like Hamas and their attacks on Israeli civilians for decades, decided that's no longer an option, that they have to go to the source and eliminate the problem. And what I further discovered, John, is that Israel has done more in this current war to limit noncombatant casualties than any other army in history. That's the conclusion of John Spencer, who is America's leading expert on protecting noncombatants in the time of war. So the situation immediately became much more complicated than what's being presented in social media, just by looking at those facts on the ground.
S1: This is the Land and the book. Segment two. I'm John Gager, joined today by Doctor Jeff Myers, president of Summit Ministries. You've invested hour after hour in conversations with Gen Z. I'm curious, what is their response when you present them with historical objective truth?
S4: You know, John, the young adults I've talked to and it's been more than a thousand this summer in an hour long Q&A dialogues, I think, when they hear the truth. A couple of things come into their mind. One is, why haven't we heard this? Can this really be true? Because this is different than anything that we have heard in our TikTok feed or anyplace else. And the second one is, okay, so Israel is doing what it has to do. We understand that. But how does that affect Americans? Why should Americans in general care? And why should Christians in particular care about this? Israel is one of 193 nations in the world. Why should that get our special attention? I would say those are the dominant questions.
S1: What does Gen Z really believe about Israel and why? That's at the heart of today's conversation on the land and the book with Doctor Jeff Myers, president of Summit Ministries. Hey, Jeff, if Gen Z is as cause oriented as we've been told, why is it such a stretch for most of them to see Israel surrounded by hostile neighbors, determined to wipe out their existence as a cause to get behind?
S4: John? There's only one answer to that question. Israel is supported by America, and Gen Z doesn't like America. I know that sounds crazy, but people in my generation, 65 to 70% say they are happy to live in the United States. Do you know what the figure is for Gen Z? 16%. Virtually all Gen Z young people think that America is largely a force for evil than for good in the world. So they think that making moral decisions about foreign policy issues just involves following the money. Who is America supporting? And then that's probably bad.
S1: Well, how is that countered then? I mean, it's such a distant thought from where most of us are.
S4: I think if we acknowledge to young adults that the political rhetoric can be extreme sometimes and that people say criticisms of the United States from the left and from the right, but all of those things are for the purpose of making a better nation, not for the purpose of tearing America down. And if they were to understand that and recognize that, you know what being an adult means, that you have to engage in the dialogue. You have to sort through the different messages. Just because somebody says something on television doesn't mean it's true. Just because somebody says something on TikTok doesn't mean it's true. Just because it rings true to you doesn't mean that it's true. You have to search out the truth. Yeah.
S1: Well, how can we answer the widespread Gen Z charge that Israel's war action in Gaza is genocide. Boy, you hear a lot of that.
S4: You do hear a lot of that. And genocide means the intentional elimination of a people group as a group. And if you look at what's happened in Gaza, you don't see that Israel is doing that. Typically, in an urban warfare situation, nine civilians or non-combatants are killed. For every combatant killed in this current situation, it's about 1 to 1. It's terrible when non-combatants die in a time of war. It's terrible when their homes get destroyed. It's terrible when they are displaced. But that in and of itself does not mean that it's genocidal. In fact, a new report that's come out said that 80% of those who are killed in Gaza are the terrorists themselves and their families who they are hiding behind, so that when Israel attacks, non-combatants will be killed and will be considered to be martyrs as kind of a perverse moral justification of the cause.
S1: Today, on the land and the book A visit with Doctor Jeff Myers of Summit Ministries. We're talking about what Gen Z really believes about Israel and why. Obviously, Jeff, there's a strong biblical case for Christians to support Israel. But what about secular America? On what grounds do we build a case for their support?
S4: Israel is a different situation in its international support than other nations of the world, for a number of reasons. First of all, Israel is kind of an outpost for the United States of America in the Middle East. It gives us a way to be involved in what's happening in that important region of the world, through a country that is democratic, the only democratic country in that region. I think a second reason all Americans should be interested in this is that Israel has a tremendous positive impact on our own American economy. We're talking about $50 billion a year in international trade and tens of thousands. I can't give an actual calculation. I don't know what it is, but I know it's at least tens of thousands of people in the United States of America have their jobs because of working with Israeli companies. And a lot of people don't know this, but there are 2500 American companies that have research and development or other similar kinds of offices in Israel. So these two nations are intertwined in a significant way. I would stress, though, this does not mean that any given American should feel that they have to put their stamp of approval on every action taken by the Israeli government. I am a proud American, but I do not put my stamp of approval on everything the government in power does. We shouldn't expect that we have to do that with Israel as well. But to recognize that our relationship with Israel is unique. This is not a case of us just flushing billions of dollars into a hole and having no idea what's ever going to happen to it. This is actually a legitimate partnership, and it's important. I think, you know, I know some people think they say, well, it's America first. And what they really mean by that is America only. But no nation in the world has ever been able to survive and thrive unless it has allies. In fact, if you look at the major cities that were attacked throughout history. Victor Davis Hanson discusses this in a recent book. They all failed because they lost their relationships with allies around them who could come and help them in their time of need.
S1: So, Jeff, take this home. You know, we're having a conversation in our home with some Gen Z folks. How in the world do we steer that dialogue in a respectful tone that is also full of truth? And, I don't know, a biblical perspective? How do we do that?
S4: I think the first thing is, John, to ask young adults to query where their information comes from. I can just look at a picture of one of the anti-Israel rallies. I can look at the signs. At the bottom of the signs is the website for the organization sponsoring the rally. In many cases, it's has been the Socialist Worker Party. If you go to their website, you realize they are hard left Marxists. They're actually communists. Now, this is not an accusation. They're admitting this. So asking where does that information come from? What is the motivation of the person who's giving that information? The second thing, John, is to give facts. We found that if you would simply give a fact to a young adult, that it would change their mind. For instance, we asked a question in one of our polls, what about the fact that Israel has greater wealth and military power? Does that make its military campaign against Hamas unjust? And almost half of young adults said, yes. But then we asked this. Hamas leaders have become wealthy by skimming international aid designated for Palestinians. Do such actions on the part of Hamas leaders make their cause unjust? And 57% said yes and 23% said not sure. So literally half of them changed their minds just with the presentation of one simple fact. And then the third thing is just ask questions. If you aren't sure what the facts are in the situation, then you can just ask questions like how did you arrive at that conclusion? How do you know it's true? I would say, John, the trickier thing is when young adults feel they don't want to talk about this at all because they think their parents might be fascists or whatever, but you can still address that. You can say, it sounds like we have a significant disagreement, and I know it might take time to work through, but I believe if we talk about it, we can come closer to the truth. How do you see it? Questions like that can open up the conversation rather than shut it down.
S5: Yeah.
S1: Jeff, we briefly touched on your book, Should Christians support Israel? You've got a special offer. What is that offer?
S4: I've written a book called Should Christians Support Israel that I'm making available to anyone who's listening to this program for free? Just go to summit.org/israel. It's a short book, just 120 pages, but it has 200 pieces of documentation on all the things we've just talked about.
S1: Well, that sounds good again, that website one more time Jeff.
S4: Summit.org/israel.
S1: And we'll put a link to that at our website. The land and the book.org. Well lots to think about and we sure appreciate your perspectives, Jeff. Doctor Jeff Myers of Summit Ministries joining us today on the land and the book. Look forward to another conversation. Jeff. Thank you John. Coming up, I'm looking forward to another great segment of Bible questions. Maybe one of them is yours here on the land and the book. Welcome back to segment three of The land and the book, which means it's time for this week's look at your Bible questions. Hi, I'm John Geiger with our host, Charlie Dyer, and we've got some great news we want to share with you somebody you've got to meet first, though, ask yourself, what does Passover mean for us as believers in Jesus. Some might remember the story from the book of Exodus, but there's so much more to it. Did you know that the Last Supper was actually a Passover meal? Not only did Jesus and his disciples celebrate Passover, it also foreshadowed his death on the cross for our redemption.
S2: Jewish people have been keeping the Passover for thousands of years. Understanding the history and importance of this holiday will help you better connect with your Jewish friends and neighbors. And what better way is there to learn about Passover than to experience a Passover Seder yourself? If you've never celebrated Passover? Our friends at Life in Messiah would love to partner with you in hosting a Seder experience. Every year, their staff engage churches and small groups in an interactive Messiah in the Passover Seder, allowing participants to taste and see the redemption story. If you're interested in having someone come lead a Seder in your area, visit Life and Messiah org and click on the Moody Radio button there to learn more. That's life in Messiah. Org.
S1: Well, Charlie, we've got an introduction we want to make, but first, help us understand the background on what's happening with this segment of the land and the book. Segment three.
S2: Yeah, John, we've been working together on land in the book for over 14 years, and I've loved every minute of it. Now, along the way, we've made tweaks and changes, which I think have helped make the program even better, like having you find and interview all our guests. You made that segment really shine, and I'm excited to announce another change we're making at the start of this new year. For most of our time on the air, though not all, I've been answering the Bible questions people write in with. But starting today, we're inviting in another friend and colleague to host this segment. I need to add right now, I'm not leaving the program. I'll still be here each week. Okay, but I want to focus on the current events at the beginning of the program and the devotional at the end. With everything going on in the Middle East, I want to spend as much time as possible focusing on the land. That's the first segment and the book, our devotional at the end. And that still means I'll be here every week.
S1: Well, we're relieved for that, Charlie, thank you for clarifying. So you're not leaving with that as important background, though, let's meet the guy who will be handling our listener questions. Charlie, he's no stranger to you because he joined the faculty when you were still provost of Moody Bible Institute.
S2: Yeah. That's true. I love Jerry Peterman, but let me get academic here and do a proper introduction. All right. Doctor Gerald Peterman has been on Moody's faculty since 2002. He's a Bible professor at Moody Bible Institute and the director of the Biblical and Theological Studies program at Moody Theological Seminary. Before coming to Moody, he taught at Palm Beach Atlantic College in West Palm Beach, Florida, spent four and a half years doing church planting in Florida and Iowa, and also served eight years in the Air National Guard as a chaplain.
S1: Doctor Peterman has written Joy and Tears The Emotional Life of the Christian also Between Pain and Grace A Biblical Theology of Suffering, co-authored with Andrew Schmutzer.
S2: You know, my best memory of Jerry is a trip we were on together in Israel. But I can tell you I appreciate his kindness, his humor, and his ability to communicate God's Word.
S1: So with that said, we got to say welcome to Jerry Peterman.
S6: Well thank you. It's a pleasure to be here. I don't deserve that introduction.
S2: We're waiting to see you walk on water, Jerry. But okay.
S6: Me too.
S1: So, you know, we haven't talked about yet is your family. Tell us about your family.
S6: Oh, wow. I've been married to my delightful wife, Margie, for a little over 40 years. Uh, we were married in 1984. I've got two daughters who are beautiful and intelligent, which means, obviously, they take after their mother. And from our oldest daughter, Bethany, we have our two granddaughters who are Victoria and Season. They live in California, sadly, with their mom and dad. So yeah, there are a lot of fun. I got I got to spend some time with them two weeks ago.
S1: Oh that's neat. Now, I understand that you like bicycling, reading, home improvement, and any opportunity to show hospitality. I bet you've got some hospitality stories in the background.
S6: Oh, well, thanks be to God. Um, Marge and I have been able to have moody students over twice a year, almost every year. So how many students have come through our house? Hundreds. Huh. So it's so much fun to just hang out with them on the deck and, you know, drink some coffee and have a hamburger and just talk really, really good time.
S2: Well, I hope all your listeners can see why we're so enthused about having Jerry Peterman join the team. So let me step back, John, and just have you guys dig into today's listener questions. We'll start with.
S1: A question from Jackie who takes us to revelation chapter two verse 17. Why do we receive a name that no one knows except the one who receives it? What's the point of having a name that nobody knows?
S6: I appreciate Jackie's question. I mean, what's the point? If we go back to Scripture, Old Testament, New Testament, we find out that in a name you discern the character of the individual in a name, you discern the authority of the individual. So when talking to Moses, our Lord says, Exodus 34, I will proclaim my name. And then what does he say? I'm I'm patient. I'm long suffering. I'm slow to anger. I'm rich in kindness. So this is about his character. So Jesus will give us this white stone. It's something precious just for us, with a secret between him and us, really, where he affirms us.
S1: Custom made. It's like custom bespoke.
S7: Yeah. It's like it's just. It's just for me.
S6: And so I think that name is a reflection of his appreciation for us and the intimacy between us. Hey, this is this is just for you and me. I'm talking about who you are as my disciple. And I think that name also is kind of reflects the authority we have under Christ to work on his behalf, to act in his name. So I think it's both a symbol of our relationship, as well as an indication of the authority we have through Christ. Because can you believe it? That is, Jesus works through us to spread his gospel. Jesus works through us to bring people forgiveness. And so that's that's part of the authority we have by being given this name from Christ.
S1: Another revelation question, this one in chapter three, verse 14, where Jesus is referred to as the Amen. If Amen means I agree with God, this listener wants to know is this name saying Jesus agrees with God that he obeys God or that he is God?
S6: I really appreciate that too. It's true. Amen. Has a sense of I affirm that. I agree with that. So what is going on when our Lord is called the Amen? That is through Jesus our Lord. God accomplishes his plan. That is all the promises of God are yes, in Jesus. And so that's what an amen is. It's a yes. So Jesus the son is the one who affirms and is affirmed by God with this. Amen. Would it go to this passage where the question is he's called the Amen. He's called the faithful true witness. He's called the ruler of God's creation. That is, the Lord is working through him and accomplishing his purposes, giving the yes to all the promises of God.
S1: You're listening to the land and the book doctor Jerry Peterman, answering your questions. We'll share how you can get yours to him later in the broadcast. Uh, this listener wants to know, is there a book or reference that has writings or biographies of the first Christians after the apostles like Irenaeus and Polycarp and so on? I was never taught church history growing up, but I'd like to learn more about these early church leaders.
S6: Yes, and that's a wonderful place for us to go to learn about the lives of saints from the past. So there are a couple of places to go. One title is called The Apostolic Fathers in English by Rick Brannon, Lexham Press. All right. Apostolic Fathers in English, Rick Brannon, Lexham press. And if you have Logos Bible software, this book is already going to be in there. Another one I can highly recommend getting to know the Church Fathers and Evangelical Introduction by Brian Litfin. Now, Brian Litfin taught for many years at Moody. He's a wonderful guy, by the way. I really appreciate his work. And that book is also available on Kindle and on paperback.
S1: Paul asks on Sunday, a woman wanted to know the ancestry of the Palestinian people, as well as the history of the Jewish Palestinian conflict. Do you have any suggestions?
S6: Oh, yes. This is this is something that Charlie Dyer knows a lot about. So I'm going to recommend you connect with him. Here's how you can do it. Charlie talked about this subject on this program back in October, October 5th, and that program is still available on the land and the book.org. So you can just go there, go under what's on air and look at the tab for October 5th, 2024. And at the 18 minute 32nd mark, John and Charlie are talking about this question and you'll get some answers there. Another place You Can Go is Charlie's recently released book by Moody Press in October of this year called Who Owns the Land? And you'll get a lot more than just the answer to this question from that book.
S1: Okay, check it out at The Land and the book. Org and again, Charlie's book is titled Who Owns the Land? Chris says, I have a question about how many temples have been in Jerusalem. Solomon built the first. The second was built in Nehemiah and Ezra's time, and the third will be built sometime in the future. So my question is, in Jesus day, why was it called Herod's Temple? Did he rebuild, remodel, or just claim the Second Temple is his?
S6: Great. We've got two questions here. First question. There has been two temples, one under Solomon, destroyed in 586 BC, and another rebuilt under Zerubbabel with Haggai and Zechariah's input. That was the middle of the sixth century, and that Second temple was kind of refurbished by Herod, significantly refurbished by Herod, which is why it's called Herod's Temple. So Herod's temple is the second temple.
S1: All right, Chris, I hope that clears things up for you. And as you listen, if you've got a question you'd like to send to us, you need to know we'd welcome that any old time. Just email us at The Land and the book@moody.edu. That's the land and the book@moody.edu. Now, as we move into this new year, two great ideas for a great start. First, connect with the station. Would you and thank them for airing the land and the book? So many other programs are vying for their attention, so thank them for carrying the land and the book. Secondly, would you email us and share how God has used the land and the book in your life? I'd love to hear from you at the land and the book@moody.edu. That's the land and the book at Moody Edu Charlie's devotional. Next. It's an image that is a bit faded in a culture that has dismissed God. The notion of a judge and people standing before him on Judgment Day. Welcome back to the land and the book. I'm John Gager. Charlie, the judgment seat of Christ at the focus of your devotional, is that correct?
S2: That is correct, John.
S1: Sounds like a sober moment to me. We'll find out, though, but not until we hear this Holy Land experience. I love these testimonies. Check this out.
S8: Hi, my name is Marty from mentor, Ohio. Our Holy Land experience is just incredible. The thing that stands out the most in my mind is the Sea of Galilee, the boat right on the Sea of Galilee. It was something that you just have to experience for yourself. The sights, the smells, the calmness of the sea as it started out as a very rough day. The voice of our master saying be still. Everything about it. This tour is just first class. You cannot get anything better than this. I know I was apprehensive personally about travel. I've watched that totally away. I this whole ten days that we've been here seems like maybe one. You just cannot imagine how wonderful this place is.
S1: All right, we're headed for Second Corinthians chapter five and Charlie, the judgment seat of Christ. What do we need to know a lot?
S2: John, I love Corinth, probably for all the wrong reasons. I remember driving from Athens to Corinth while a major wildfire burned along the roadway. I remember a mediterranean cruise aboard a three masted schooner and docking just outside the Corinthian Canal before heading to shore on an inflatable high speed zodiac. And I remember going exploring an ancient Corinth and using an article from Biblical Archaeology Review to search for the theater and the nearby inscription to Erastus, a believer who served as city treasurer in Corinth long before that inscription became accessible to most visitors. Oh, and the site itself. I loved it, though I know it's something of a disappointment to visitors who are expecting it to look like Ephesus or Laodicea or Beit She'an in Israel, or Jerash in Jordan. The excavations are rather minimal, but the history of the site more than makes up for the relative compactness of the actual area. Open to visitors. To really appreciate the site, one needs to reread the historical events that took place there in the book of acts, and then read first and second Corinthians, Paul's two extended letters to the church. And it doesn't hurt also to study the extrabiblical history of the site itself. You see, the New Testament city of Corinth represented commerce and corruption. The city grew up on a narrow isthmus linking central Greece with Greece's larger, finger shaped southern peninsula, the Peloponnesus. Because of its location, Corinth controlled strategic trade routes through Greece. Smaller ships, including naval vessels, were literally wheeled just over four miles across a paved trackway. Larger ships loaded with their cargo, which was then transported across the narrow isthmus, could be loaded onto another vessel on the other side. The journey from one side of the isthmus to the other would have taken about three hours, bypassing a much longer and more hazardous journey around the entire peninsula. Travelers far from home and family, sailors with money to spend, and a bustling economy made Corinth a cosmopolitan market with corrupt morals. Jutting up just south of the city is a rocky mountain called the Acrocorinth, that dominates the landscape in ancient times. A temple to Aphrodite, the goddess of love, stood on its crest. The Greek historian Strabo said the temple had 1000 courtesans, that is, temple prostitutes Institutes serving those who came to, quote, worship. The degree to which Corinth was given over to immorality is seen in the coining of the word Corinthian, literally two Corinthians, which meant to practice immorality, and Corinthian girl, which Plato used as a euphemism for a prostitute. In the heart of Corinth was the agora, or marketplace for the city. This was more than just a local farmer's market. The abundance of international trade made the Agora of Corinth a center for commerce and a hive of activity. The northern and western sides of the agora were lined with shops and roadways, extended both east and west from the agora to the nearby ports. In the center of Corinth Marketplace stood the bema, or speaker's platform. The local magistrate would sit at this location to judge administrative matters. In acts 18, the Bema played a pivotal role in Paul's ministry in Corinth. Paul's enemies made a united attack on Paul and brought him into court. In the original wording of the account, Luke says they literally brought Paul up to the bema. The judge in Corinth at the time was Gallio, the brother of Seneca, who was Emperor Nero's tutor. Paul's opponents thought they would make trouble for him by accusing Paul of promoting a religion not recognized by Rome. Paul's enemies said he was persuading the people to worship God in ways contrary to the law. The charges, if proven, were serious, but Gallio saw through the ruse before Paul could even answer his accusers. Gallio rejected the very basis for their accusation. I will not be a judge of such things, he said. He then had them ejected from the court. Literally, Luke says, they were driven away from the bema. This seat of administrative justice was a spot known to everyone in Corinth. And about five years after the incident in acts 18, Paul used the imagery of the bema to illustrate God's seat of justice, before which all believers will one day appear. Paul wrote at least three letters to the church in Corinth, two of which are included in the Bible. In both of these, Paul had to deal with spiritual laxness, interpersonal conflicts, and moral lapses in the church. The believers in Corinth knew God, but they kept slipping back into the moral cesspool of their society. Paul encouraged the Corinthians to live in light of eternity. In Second Corinthians 510, he reminded the church that we must all appear before the judgment seat, literally the bema of Christ, that each 1st May receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad. The people of Corinth knew what it was like to appear before the Bema Seat in Corinth. How infinitely more significant it will be to appear before the Lord Jesus Christ as he sits in judgment to evaluate our works as believers. Now, in this passage, Paul is not teaching that believers can lose their salvation, or that we somehow need to do good works to make it to heaven. Rather, he's referring to the eternal rewards believers will gain or forfeit based on their earthly actions. In first Corinthians three, Paul pictured this as a time when God will test the quality of each man's work. Any individual who lived a life of faithfulness and obedience will receive his reward. But if someone lived a life of self-centered disobedience, he will suffer loss. He himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames. All true believers in Jesus Christ will be in heaven, but not everyone in heaven will be rewarded equally. We're all on a journey through the Agora, the marketplace of life. During this journey, we rub shoulders with many others. Pressed together in the throng. We all gaze at the wares spread out around us, and we all make choices on where best to invest our resources, our time, our talents, our treasures. But every decision has consequences, and someday we'll receive our summons to appear before God's bema. Jesus will be seated on the judgment seat, and with his piercing gaze, he'll sift through our actions and our motives. Good or bad, reward or rebuke, honor or dishonor. Well, as we get ready to head to the bus for our drive back to Athens, what can we take with us from our visit here in Corinth and our time standing in front of that raised Bema Seat platform that seems to dominate the area? Well, how about this? Paul used that platform as an illustration, a reminder that a far greater judgment seat in heaven awaits our arrival. And now is the time to prepare. We all need to weigh the eternal pros and cons of our actions before we make decisions. The Bema Seat of Corinth stands as a reminder that every day choices do have eternal consequences. We need to constantly remind ourselves of our impending summons before the Bema Seat of Christ. Pause today and ask God to help you gain his perspective on this life and on the life to come. Ask him to help you lift your eyes heavenward so that you can look beyond the glittering baubles being offered in the marketplace of life. To see heaven's Bema Seat standing off in the distance. Wow.
S1: Thank you Charlie. Everyday choices have an eternal consequence. Thanks for that crystal clear reminder. You can hear the entire broadcast again by the way, at our website, the land and the book. Org information about our guests, past programs, future programs, and more at the land and the books.org. Well, it's always a pleasure to have you listening, and we do hope you'll share us with your friends. Let them know about the land and the book and how it helps you. Would you do that? Thanks so much. Our time is gone, but I want to say thank you to Dan Anderson, our producer, our host, Charlie Dyer. I'm John Gager. The land and the book is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.