S1: Speaking of the birth of Jesus, the Gospel of Matthew says, all this took place to fulfill what was spoken by the Lord through the prophet. And the prophet he was speaking of was Isaiah. What in the world was Matthew saying? Why did he say that? Stick with us. We're going to be talking about that today on a special edition of Open Line. Hello friends. So glad you could be with us today. My name is Michael Radonich. I am a professor of Jewish Studies and also dean of the undergraduate school at Moody Bible Institute, and I am here today with a several of my good friends. We're going to be doing some Bible studies about the book of Isaiah and its predictions of the coming Messiah. His book predicted the coming of the Messiah. And so we're going to talk about several of those passages. And so it's pre-recorded. No calls today. Normally you'd be calling with your questions, but today it's a special pre-recorded program. So don't call if you'd like to send a question in. You can always do that by going to our website Openline radio.org. You can click on the link that says Ask Michael a question. And that would be a place where you can leave your question, and it will be added to the mailbag for future weeks. But for today, we're going to be studying the scriptures together. And so I hope you have a cup of coffee. I hope you have your Bible open. And now I'd like to let you know who's going to be studying together with me today. First of all, my favorite Bible teacher, Eva Radonich. She's a professor at Moody as well as an author she wrote in the Moody Bible Commentary, The Moody Handbook of Messianic Prophecy. Hey, Eva. I'm glad you're here.
S2: It's great to be here.
S1: And also voice you hear all the time. Uh, Tricia McMillan, she's the producer of Open Line. She's the one that brings the mailbag every week. The Febc mailbag. And I'm so grateful that she's here. And glad you're with us to study today, Tricia.
S3: I'm so glad to be here.
S1: Yeah, it's fun to be with you. And then from the cactus compound in Arizona, joining us is Chris Fabry, who sometimes joins me when I do the two Michaels. Oh, no. I'm joining him, uh, at those, uh, Chris Avery is with us. I love doing these Bible studies with you. Chris, thanks for being part of this.
S4: I don't know how I got the opportunity and the privilege, but I'm so glad to be here. I have my throat coat tea, and I'm ready to go. Okay.
S2: We we saw you standing by the backyard fence and said, come on over. Yeah.
S1: That's right, that's right. I'm so glad that we're all together to study the scriptures today. Uh, now, you know, a lot of people are wondering when you read the New Testament, one of the things that gets said over and over is that all the events of the life of Jesus were predicted in the Old Testament. The Lord Jesus himself said everything that was written about me in the law and the prophets and and the writings. Or actually he says, the Psalms in Luke 24 were predicted. Uh, it talks about the same the law and the prophets in Luke 24 and other passage. There are always these this emphasis on messianic fulfillment, and in particular, at the beginning of the Gospels, we see a lot from the book of Isaiah. And so I thought that would be a kind of a fun thing to do today for this Bible study is to go through some of the key passages, not throughout throughout the whole book of Isaiah, but some of the early passages. Here's why. When I was in college, I remember that was when the NIV Bible was coming out, the new translation, and they published individual books at a time. They didn't have the whole thing done. And they. I remember when they published Isaiah and gave it out. It was called the Gospel of Isaiah because that was so messianic. And so I thought to begin with, right to start. Now let's talk a little bit about Isaiah the prophet and I. Eva, you're all set with that, aren't you? Oh, sure.
S2: Sure. Uh, probably he's the, the most, uh, he is the most quoted prophet in the New Testament. So I think someone counted up and said 65 times. Wow. You can find the quotations from Isaiah in the New Testament, and he's also the most quoted in the rabbinic writings of the prophets. So significant. He he had a long ministry period of about 64 years. If you look at the very first verse in Isaiah, it says that he was doing his prophetic work during the reigns of, of, um, Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz and Hezekiah, who were the kings of Judah. So that takes you from, you know, like 790 back to almost to the 66, 86. So he had a very long reign or or prophetic ministry. A long ministry in the reigns of these important kings, primarily to, um, Judah and and Jerusalem. But his his message wasn't limited to them, was it Michael?
S1: No, his his message went to the northern kingdom, the southern kingdom. And it really was it was to extend all the way to the coastlands, which was a term for the Gentile nations. So if they ever got the Bible, they would read it and see about themselves as well. Now, listen, I know that, Chris, you went to Moody Bible Institute, right? And I'm sure that when you you did the one year, the old program, we had the advanced studies program. Yeah. And I'm sure you took a course in the prophets, you know, like Old Testament survey, New Testament survey. And one of the most important things is they teach the two fold ministry of prophets. Do you remember what that was about?
S4: Ministry of Promises. I didn't know this was going to be a quiz.
S1: I know, I just wondering about predicting and challenging. Do you remember predicting.
S4: And challenging, as I recall. Yeah. From my days, you know.
S1: They used to call it foretelling or foretelling. Yes. And, you know, here's what I think is so important about that is often the prophets. We think of them today as only making predictions. Right. But they also challenged issues of their time. And sometimes they did it one after another, you know, foretelling, foretelling. And what does that do for us today? Does it give us any encouragement, any hope?
S4: Well, I, I think even as Ivar was talking about Isaiah one, I see the ox knows its owner and the donkey its master's feeding trough. But Israel does not know. My people do not understand, O sinful nation, people weighed down with iniquity. And you can think of the prophets too, as these really harsh, mean, you know, vindictive, you know, the God's wrath type thing. But it was because of his mercy that he said he could have just let them go, let the people go. But he didn't. He sent these prophets as representatives of himself and of his grace and mercy, to call them back to himself and to me. That gives me great hope today for my own iniquitous heart.
S1: And, you know, it's interesting, too, because it says, you know, that's pretty challenging verse there in Isaiah one, of course. How does Isaiah 40 begin? Comfort, comfort my people.
S2: Yeah.
S1: Comfort my people. Uh, and so they're not just, you know, it's the old thing about preachers. The role of the preacher is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
S2: Yeah.
S1: And that's what prophets did. They they did that very thing. And they talked about the future. And now here's my question for you, Tricia. Did Isaiah the prophet know what he was talking about? Or did somehow you think that he just he became like, uh balaam's donkey and just talked without knowing what he was talking about?
S3: You know, I'm not entirely sure, but I could see it kind of being a both and that there would be some, some knowledge of what he was foretelling, but perhaps not understanding exactly how it would play out. Kind of like even the way that we interpret prophecy, like, as we look back at then, prophecy that has already been fulfilled, that that might not be the way that we would have described it, you know, like it.
S1: Happened literally, but it didn't happen the way we would have anticipated. Right.
S3: And what they're describing, you know, like, do they did he know, uh, I can't remember if Isaiah is the one with the, uh, the statue with the for Daniel. That was Daniel. Okay. With the four layers. Like, did he know these are what these specifically mean and how long these rains are and that kind of thing.
S1: Or he knew that it was the kingdom of Babylon and the kingdom of Medo-persia. He knew that.
S3: But did he know the specific years and all of these details that we know, looking back to see that prophecy fulfilled? So I, I wonder how much he understood. I'm sure he understood some of it, but I don't know, like to what extent did he fully.
S1: Let's look at a passage about that. Look at let's turn to first Peter. Every one of us to chapter one, verse ten through 12. Now this is a verse that is commonly used to say that the prophets didn't understand about what they were speaking. And then if you read it really carefully, what you'll find is that it's saying something quite the opposite. So, Eva, you've got the official version there.
S2: Sure. First Peter one.
S1: Whatever's official version is she doesn't even like it when I read the hcsb out loud, because she's got the new American standard there.
S2: That's it's a it's a real and true. First Peter 110 and 11.
S1: All the way through.
S2: 1212. As to this salvation, the prophets who prophesied of the grace that would come to you made careful searches and inquiries, seeking to know what person or time the Spirit of Messiah within them was, indicating, as he predicted, the sufferings of Messiah and the glories to follow. It was revealed to them that they were not serving themselves but you in these things which now have been announced to you through those who preach the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven things into which angels long to look.
S1: Okay. So let's let's look at that verse. What did they not understand? They were seeking to understand what.
S4: The grace that would come to you.
S1: Well, they understood that there was grace coming to them. Right?
S3: The the time or circumstances?
S1: Time or circumstances. That's how the hcsb translates. Yeah.
S2: And Iva 11 says they were seeking to know what person or time the spirit of Messiah within them was indicating.
S1: Yeah, it could be sort of a little circumlocution. That's a big word. Yes, a little repetitive statement. Time of circumstances. That could be a translation or possibly, and I think more literally what person or time.
S2: Who it was going to be and when it was going to happen. Yeah.
S1: They they knew they were talking about something about the future, about the grace that was to come to people. They knew it was messianic. What they didn't know is who would be that Messiah. And when he would come, sort of like, you know, I came to know the Lord in the early 70s and people were going, of course, everyone's experience can say this. In 1972, people were saying, oh, Henry Kissinger is the Antichrist. Yeah, they're trying to figure out they know the Bible is teaching. There's an Antichrist coming, But they don't know who it will be. And of course, Henry.
S3: It will be.
S1: Or when it will be. Exactly. So they're talking about that. That's what they're investigating. And then they got an answer. What was revealed to them.
S2: In verse 12 and verse 12.
S1: Yet it was revealed to them what.
S2: That the things which now have been, which have been preached to you, the gospel by the Holy Spirit, sent from heaven? Yeah.
S1: They were not serving themselves, but they were serving you. In other words, their messages weren't just for their own day. They're for a future day that they were looking forward in time to the coming of the Messiah, when he would come and bring deliverance and salvation and the glories of the Messiah and the sufferings, the sufferings of the Messiah and the glories that would follow. So, you know, I think that's really an interesting verse because people use that verse. Say the prophets didn't understand the messianic hope, but what is this passage saying?
S2: Opposite. They did understand the messianic hope. They just didn't know who this the name of this person was going to be.
S1: Or that's called the referent. They didn't know the referent.
S2: Or exactly when it was going to take place, but they.
S1: Were speaking about a future deliverance. Isn't that exciting that. So when the people in the first century are looking at the messianic passage, they're saying, hey, this is for us. This is for us. This is what this is what we should be looking for the Messiah, because he should be coming any time now. I think that's pretty exciting. Don't you think.
S4: So? The other thing that I see is that Peter is the one who's writing this, and Peter was the one who said, you know, when Jesus said he was going to Jerusalem and was going to suffer these things? No, no. You know, Peter was. No, no, you're not going to do that. And so these messianic sufferings, when he was thinking, Jesus is the Messiah, he wasn't thinking of the cross. He wasn't, you know, and I glory in that. That that gives me a lot of comfort too.
S1: Yeah. He was only thinking about the glories that were to follow. He wasn't thinking about the suffering. Uh, yeah. He he he didn't want the hard part. He he wanted the glorious part. I think that's kind of interesting. Well, we're going to come back and start talking about some of these prophecies. Uh, this is a special edition. A special Christmas edition of Open Line. Tricia McMillan is here. Chris Fabry, Eva Radonich. We're talking through various prophecies in the book of Isaiah that foretell told the coming of the Messiah. My name is Michael Ray Dolnick, and we'll be right back. So stay with us. Are you looking to deepen your grasp of Paul's powerful epistles, the Moody Bible commentary on Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, and Colossians is your key to unlocking these treasured books with clear explanations and practical insights, this resource illuminates Paul's teachings on grace, unity, joy, and the supremacy of the Lord Jesus. Request your copy of this Moody Bible Commentary excerpt. When you give to open line, call (888) 644-7122 or visit Open Line radio.org. Everyone has questions about God, the Bible and living out our faith. And that's why we're here on Open Line. We take your questions and provide answers straight from Scripture. But we couldn't do this without you. When you become a kitchen table partner, you're not only keeping this program on the air. Every weekend, you'll also receive exclusive benefits like personal audio messages from me that offer biblical encouragement. Become a kitchen table partner today by calling (888) 644-7122 or go to Open Line radio.org.
S5: O come.
UU: O come, Emmanuel and Ransom Captive Israel. One of my.
S1: Favorite Christmas songs with a great arrangement there by Selah. What a great song, don't you think? Reminding us about the coming of Emmanuel. So that's what we're doing today. We're talking with a very special pre-recorded Bible study. So don't call with Tricia McMillan, Chris Fabry, Eva Radonich and me, Michael Radonich. We're going through various, uh, of the, uh, Passages in the book of Isaiah. And we're going to start with the famous Immanuel passage in Isaiah seven. But I want to start with a question. What do you consider an impossible situation? I'll tell you what I do. I remember trying to explain logic to adolescents when I was or students. So there are impossible circumstances. What do you think of?
S4: I think of people who are addicted that I care about, that I love and or change in people, and the ability or inability of me to to think of what God can do. Yeah. And can can change a heart and see that kind of change in people. I have such doubt and, and disbelief that God's powerful enough to change, you know, somebody else. And and then I look at myself and it's like, well, he did it for me. You know.
S1: Sometimes I think that there are areas of my life I wish he would change. And I feel sometimes a little discouraged because here I've been a believer for 52 years at least, and and I'm still longing for change in some areas, and that seems impossible. But it's. I agree with you about that.
S2: One of the one of the lines in the New Testament that is that rings most true is, yes, Lord, I believe, help me with my unbelief.
S4: Unbelief.
S1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I wish I could. It's impossible for me to have more faith I feel sometimes. Yeah. So do you have an impossible circumstance situation that you're thinking of?
S3: I think when it comes to, I think even for me, thinking of biblical prophecy. Not that not that it's impossible, but it's impossible for me to try and figure it out. Or if someone says, hey, this is going to happen, it's hard for me to see how I can get from point A to point B, because I don't see a clear way for that to happen. So it could be related to anything. Um, but but I think specifically in seeing like I teach a, I teach Sunday school at my church, and even as I teach them about how God kept his promises and keeps his promises. How how would people have known? Like like Abraham, you know, given this promise of here is what I will give you. But you know, how many years does that take? Like he he has no child when he's given this, but he'll have this great nation. What impossible circumstance? Impossible. How is that going to happen? Yeah. So? So things like that.
S1: And what I think is so interesting, we think Abraham was looking at the Abrahamic covenant on in the text of the Bible. All he had was a direct conversation with God, apparently. Right. You know, and it wasn't written down until later by Moses. Right.
S3: And how often do we doubt things we hear? It's like, did I hear that right? Maybe I misheard him or misunderstood him. Yeah.
S1: That's it.
S4: I think that's that's probably endemic to our nature, is we look for. I was thinking of the election. Well, what is the path here? The clear path is this way and the path is narrowing. And you know the path is closed here. We can't see that. And I see the same thing in my own life and, you know, 400 years of silence. And then here's the cry of a baby, you know, in Bethlehem, nobody saw that path. No, nobody, you know, thought, well, this is the way it's going to happen right here. Um, and they had worked it out.
S1: There's a hint. Now, the reason I brought up impossible situations is during the reign of King Ahaz, uh, the son of Jotham in Isaiah seven, the son of Uzziah. Uh, two kings try to drag King Ahaz into a war that they wanted to have with Assyria. There was the king of Syria. Also some versions call him the king of Aram. Uh, resin. King of Aram. Aram is the ancient name for the land of Syria. Uh, so he. And then the King of Israel. Pekah, son of Remaliah, is the king of the northern ten tribes, and they are sick and tired of Assyria's domination of their countries. And they want to get all the different vassal states to rebel against Assyria. And you know, King Ahaz is not a picture of faith or courage. And so he's saying, no, I don't want to do that. Uh, and so what they do is they draft him, they basically say, okay, if you won't join us, we're going to bring our armies right into the north of you, and we're going to drag you. We're going to go to war with you, and we're going to kill you, and we're going to replace you. Here's what it says. The Lord said to Isaiah, this verse seven, uh, uh, I think that's verse seven. Uh, no. It says verse two, when it came down to known to the house of David that Aram or Syria had occupied Ephraim or Israel, the heart of Ahaz, and the hearts of his people trembled like trees of a forest shaking in the wind. They were terrified. Why? Uh, then verse five, for Aram, that's Syria again, along with Ephraim. That's Israel, the northern ten tribes. They say, let us go up against Judah. Terrorize it and conquer it for ourselves. Then we can install the son of Tabeel as king in it. In other words, they're going to say, if you won't join this war, we're going to take over your country, and we're going to take over the kingship, and we're going to put the one we want on the throne to make to deal with this and think about that. Because what do you think they would do to the other members of the House of David if they killed Ahaz?
S4: Then the same thing. Yeah.
S1: Exactly.
S4: But I can't get past the great writing there. The hearts of his people trembled like trees of a forest. Shaking in the wind. Yeah. That is such great writing. Yeah.
S1: It's terrifying, isn't it? And here's.
S2: I think it's hard for us to just kind of read this and think, well, yeah, that was scary. But it was really scary because Assyria was the greatest world power at that time, and it was on the move and it was threatening Assyria. Assyria? Yeah. Assyria was on the move against the northern kingdom and that whole region. And so they're saying we got to band together, or else we're all going to fall to Assyria. You've got to help us. Judah.
S1: And Judah doesn't want to. They want. They want to. Ahaz wants to rely and be a vassal king to Assyria and and keep his safety that way. But now he's so. Now he's being endangered in two directions. If he rebels against Assyria, he's doomed. If he doesn't rebel, then he's going to be doomed by these two nations that are going to drag him into the war by replacing him. And it's an impossible situation, and that's what he's really concerned about. He's facing impossible odds. That's why I asked about impossible situations. Now, let's point out one other thing. About what if they succeed and they kill the whole house of David? What promise is now being threatened?
S3: Anyone know the Davidic Covenant?
S1: Exactly.
S3: Because then there's no. There's no heir from David to be the Messiah.
S1: Exactly. So this is not just a threat against Ahaz in his household. It's a threat against the entire Davidic promise that the messianic king would come. And so sometimes people say, why would Isaiah bring up the messianic king's birth? Well, that's because the great threat was to the Davidic covenant. And that's. You nailed it there, Tricia. That's exactly right. And what I love about this passage is it shows us that there are some things that we can rely on when we face impossible situations, whether it's, uh, you know, an addiction, as Chris mentioned, or, uh, it can show us, you know, how to face it. If there's an illness and we think that there's no hope here, where can we find some hope in an impossible situation?
S2: You lost your job, and you think you're going to can't pay your mortgage, and you're going to be evicted? Yeah.
S1: Then there's hope in an in something. And that's where this messianic passage comes in. Because Ahaz had no hope. The Davidic line was about to collapse. The Davidic promises were going to go away. The messianic Son of David would never come. What are we going to do? And Isaiah comes along and he gives not one but two prophecies. And that's what we're going to talk about when we when we come back, we're going to really hit the, the, the main Emmanuel prophecy. That's what we're going to talk about when we come back in, and then we're also going to look and see how it fits the context, which is what's so important, and then hopefully draw some applications about what we should do when we face impossible circumstances. Stick with us, because I've got Chris Fabry here, Tricia McMillan and me, Michael Radonich, and we're studying the messianic hope of the book of Isaiah. We'll be right back. And don't go away. You don't want to miss this. We're so glad that Febc partners with Open Line with Doctor Michael Radonich, bringing the Febc mailbag every week. Learn how Far East Broadcasting Company is taking Christ to the world at febc. Org on their weekly podcast. Until all have heard with Ed Cannon, you'll hear stories of lives changed by Messiah all across the globe. Again, you can hear the podcast when you visit febc. Org that's febc.org.
UU: Emmanuel. Emmanuel. Emmanuel. Emmanuel. Wonderful.
S1: Counselor, I guess I better say something. I just like listening to the music. That's. I love this prophecy of Emmanuel, God with us. And what a great reminder from this song that we're looking here in Isaiah seven for Emmanuel. So. Well, joining me with I'm Michael Radonich. Joining me is Tricia McMillan, Eva Radonich and Chris Fabry. We are working our way through various prophecies, by the predictions by the prophet Isaiah about the coming messianic king, and we're starting to ask a question.
S4: I want to ask you a question. Yeah. Why does why does Emmanuel why is it spelled with I sometimes and e other times. Ah.
S2: There you go.
S1: Because Hebrew transliteration is is, uh.
S2: Random.
S1: Random. Yeah. That's it, that's it. It's the same word. It's exactly the same word. It seems to me, if I remember right, the Hebrew transliteration. No. I'm sorry. The Jewish transliteration very commonly, like if you see a synagogue named Temple Emmanuel, it's with an e. And if you look at a Christian translation of the Bible, it's with an I. And if you want to know why, I don't have the answer. Yeah, I don't know.
S4: I stumped him, I stumped him. I'll tell you, the.
S1: Funniest thing is when you go to Israel and you see things that are transliterated into English from Hebrew.
S2: Like road signs.
S1: Road signs. You'll go from one street to the next, and one street will transliterate it one way. And then you go a block away and it's transliterated in a different way. Wow. You know, and there's no consistency. There was an attempt in Israel a few years ago to say, you know what, we need to get one system and transliterate everything consistently. And they looked into the price of changing all their signs and they said, nah, we don't have the budget for that. And so it's figured.
S4: Out yourself, right?
S2: And you meet Jewish people today whose name is Immanuel.
S1: Yeah.
S2: That's right. And they spell it with an E.
S1: And that's a that's a really good good point. I have a good friend named Emmanuel. Uh, if you if you meet an Israeli and his name is Manny, you know, his real name is Emmanuel. So there we go. Okay, so let's look here at Isaiah seven. What happens is he's talking to Ahaz. Uh, Isaiah is told to bring his son. And I want to point out one thing that is told to him that we don't we can't miss. Uh, it says that he's supposed to bring his son, Shah Yesu. Verse three to the upper pool. Uh, if you're from Texas, you'd say shearjashub.
S4: But, uh, that's what I was going to say.
S1: Yeah, but Shah Yussuf is supposed to be brought there. And I think that this is really a vital part of this discussion. People think that that's just a little throwaway, but no, it's important. Uh, it's what, uh. Uh, the famous Russian playwright. What was his name again? Uh, Chekhov. Chekhov's. Chekhov's, uh, rule. Chekhov's law was that if you introduce a gun in the first act, you better have a murder by the second act. Uh, and the idea here is if if we bring in this child, he's got to play some sort of role. And he's brought there. And Isaiah comes along and this is what I he's told by the Lord to go to him. And it said, uh, in verse ten, the Lord spoke again to Ahaz through the prophet Isaiah, ask for a sign from the Lord. This is verse ten and 11 from the Lord your God, from the depths of Sheol to the heights of heaven. Verse 12. But Ahaz replied, I will not ask. I will not test the Lord. Okay. What kind of sign is Ahaz being offered? Because, you know, the word sign can mean a miraculous sign. Like we use the word signs and wonders. Is it?
S4: Is it something that's true? Absolutely true. You can't go any further than it's going to be true. Yeah.
S1: Is it? Here's the question. Is it miraculous that he's being told to ask for or just some ordinary thing?
S4: Oh, miraculous. Yeah.
S1: Why would you say miraculous?
S4: Because it it's compared with the depths of Sheol to the heights. Yeah.
S1: It's like ask for anything in the whole universe.
S4: Yes.
S1: Think about that. It's not, you know, just ask about. And this becomes really important because later on, as the passage develops, the sign that's given is about a young woman having a baby. Right. Mhm. How unusual is that.
S3: That's not unusual.
S1: There we go. It's got to be a big deal. It's got to be a big deal. So. But now how do you feel about Ahaz rejecting it.
S4: He rejects. I wondered about that. I wonder, you know, is it because it almost sounds like he's very humble, you know, it's like he's. Oh, I'm not going to ask that. I'm going to, you know, I'm just going to trust God. But I don't think that's it. I think he was probably a little prideful. Yeah.
S1: What do you think, Eva?
S2: I think he was a big hypocrite. He was one of the bad kings of Judah. I think he was being a little sanctimonious there. Yeah. I would not do that. He's the.
S1: Guy that offered children to the Lord baby's.
S2: Sacrifices during his reign.
S1: He was a terribly wicked king, and all of a sudden he gets a dose of spirituality. Here, this makes no sense. He's just looking for an excuse not to ask for a sign, because he just wants to go ahead with his plan. I'm trusting Assyria to get me through this, this attack. And so he rejects it. I will not ask. I will not test the Lord. By the way, when is it? You know, it says in Deuteronomy, don't test the Lord your God. Right, right. It says that the Lord Jesus quoted that when he was being tempted. What is it okay to test God.
S3: When it's God telling you.
S2: To ask for a sign?
S1: Exactly. In Malachi it says, test me. You know about giving, right? Yeah. Uh, here, God says to Ahaz, test me. Uh, when God invites us to put him to the test, do you know what we should do?
S4: But under the test.
S1: Yeah, exactly. I think that's one of the funnier things. I will not test the Lord. That false sanctimony right there. Uh, anyway, uh, then what we come up to is a shift in verse 13, and it's not not a shift that each of us could see in English. You have to be able to read Hebrew. And I'm going to clue you in on this. You know, you live south of the border even though you're in the west. Chris. Yeah. Uh, what do you say in the South, if you're talking to using the second person and you you're talking to a group of people.
S4: Y'all.
S1: Y'all. That's right. And what do you say in New York?
S2: You guys.
S1: Use.
S4: Guys?
S1: Yeah.
S4: Use, use. Yeah.
S1: Uh, use guys use. And then, uh, if you're really insistent in the South, do you know what you say?
S3: All y'all.
S1: All y'all. That's right. Well, this is what happens in verse, uh 13 verse. Up through verse 12 Isaiah is using the second person singular. He's just talking to Ahaz. Then in verse 13 it shifts. Listen, House of David. He's now going to talk to the whole house of David, because the whole house of David is under a threat. It's not enough for you to try the patience of men. Will you also try the patience of my God? Therefore the Lord himself will give all y'all.
S2: This a plural there in.
S1: Verse 14. Plural? Use guys a sign. This is not just a sign for Ahaz. This is a miraculous sign for the whole house of David. This is a miraculous sign for everyone. And what is that sign? The virgin will conceive, have a son, and name him Emmanuel. So now what I think is interesting is there's the first dispute, I don't know. Have you heard about this one? is. Does the word actually mean virgin?
S4: Yes, I've heard that.
S1: Yeah, that's a big deal. There was a big deal when the Revised Standard Version years ago translated at Young Woman. Actually, one of the things that I've done is I've looked through every usage of the word alma in the whole Old Testament, and in every one it refers to a virgin or you can't tell. It's just it's being used of a young woman. It doesn't say whether she's pure or not, but like it's used of of Rebekah in Genesis 24 and specifies that she's also a virgin and has not known a man. It's used repeatedly like that. So it's distinctively a word of a young maiden who is a virgin. That's why there's only one verse. And maybe we should look at it, uh, Proverbs 30, that that has the usage that people say, oh, this doesn't mean Virgin. Uh, let's look at Proverbs 30. Everybody, and I'll see what you guys think this verse means.
S4: Use guys.
S1: Use guys. All. Exactly. Uh, it says three things. Verse 18. Proverbs 30, verse 18. Three things are beyond me. For I can't understand the way of an eagle in the sky. The way of a snake on a rock. The way of a ship at sea. The way of a man with a young woman. Or with an alma. That's the word right there, young woman. This is the way of an adulteress. She eats and wipes her mouth and says, I've done nothing wrong. He says there's four things he doesn't understand. How does an eagle fly in the sky? How does a snake slither on a rock without legs? How does a ship navigate at sea without anything but the stars? And how? What is the way of a man with an alma? What does that mean? What do you think? That's, uh, that's kind of an unusual idea.
S3: Well, that by itself seems to make sense. Yeah, it's when you add verse 20 that talks about it being the way of an adulteress that kind of throws off. It's like, oh, okay, I could see a man with a, with a maiden like, yeah, that there's a special connection. But then you throw in verse 20 with the way of an adulteress. It's like, well, wait a minute, is that is.
S1: It's a contrast is what that is. Okay. Uh, you know, do you remember, uh, when when we were kids? I know this was true of guys. I have two women here, but Chris will remember this when we were nine years old and we thought girls were gunky. Yeah.
S3: And boys had.
S1: Cooties. Yeah. Boys had cooties. And then something happens called adolescence. And all of a sudden, it's not like that. That's the way of a man with a maiden. The attraction that happens that's unexplained. It's. It's sort of miraculous. is what the Proverbs writer is saying, but do what is beyond his comprehension. A woman who is impure, an adulterous who practices this behavior and says, I've done nothing wrong, that there's no stain that comes with it. So, so, so that to me shows that the word is really referring to an almah.
S2: To a maid.
S1: A maiden, a pure maiden, a virgin, because it's a contrast. So every usage is of a virgin. And so I think that's the best way to translate it. A young maiden who is pure. And we'll talk more about that when we come back, when we talk about the one she gives birth to. This is a special edition of Open Line. Stick with us. We'll be right back. People frequently think of Christmas as a Christian holiday and Hanukkah as a Jewish celebration. But if we really understood Christmas, we see that it's deeply connected to the Jewish people. I mean, we even sing born as the King of Israel, now Chosen People Ministries, one of open lines underwriters and a ministry that brings the good news to Jewish people around the world, is offering Christmas through Jewish eyes. This free booklet will show just how Jewish Christmas really is. For your free copy of Christmas Through Jewish Eyes, just go to the Open Line website. Open Line radio.org. Scroll down. You'll see a link that says A free gift from Chosen People Ministries. Click on that and you'll be taken to a page where you can sign up for your own copy of Christmas Through Jewish Eyes.
S6: Baby king, baby king, you've got to get ready for a baby king. You might dance, daddy. You might sing. But you never seen nothing like a baby king. Whoo hoo!
S1: What a great song. A reminder here in Isaiah seven, as we've been studying, that even though the Davidic Covenant was Endangered by this threat are the baby king is still going to come, and we'll recognize him when a virgin gives birth and has a son. In fact, you know, one of the more interesting things about the Hebrew is that it doesn't say a virgin will conceive. It actually says a pregnant virgin will bear a son. A pregnant virgin. You talk about a sign as big as the sky. You know, as high as heaven, deep as Sheol. Yes, that's a sign, don't you think? And in fact, where we get the idea of the virgin will conceive, making it a future like that is from the Septuagint. Because when the Septuagint. The Septuagint is the Greek translation second century BC, they translate the Hebrew, and they recognize that this was clearly a virginal young woman. And they thought, well, it's not possible for a pregnant young woman, a pregnant virgin. That's not possible. And so what did they say?
S3: They will conceive.
S1: They've made it a future, because it is possible for a virgin to have relations and then conceive. And so they made it the future. And every English translation that has the virgin will conceive. They're following the Septuagint. They're not following the Hebrew. The Hebrew is pregnant. Virgin.
S4: Is that Matthew one? Uh, now all this took place to fulfill what was spoken by the Lord through the prophet Isaiah. See, the Virgin will become pregnant. This is how and will give birth to a son. And they will name him Emmanuel, which is translated God with us. Yeah.
S1: That's it. That's exactly what it's about, that this is what the prophecy is about. It was directed, remember, the second person plural. All y'all. God directs this message that the Virgin is going to have a baby, and you're in an impossible situation with the House of David being under threat. But don't worry. Why? Because the the Son of David will come and you'll know it when the Virgin gives birth. And that's a far, far prophecy from Isaiah. And then what happens in verse 16? There's a shift and it goes back to this singular second person, you for the before the boy. Which boy? I like to call him old schlep along. Remember? Shaar Yashuv.
S4: Shearjashub. Yeah.
S1: Yeah. Shearjashub before this boy is really how the Hebrew should be read before this boy that I've schlepped along here and brought with me knows how to reject what is bad and choose what is good. The land of the two kings you dread will be abandoned. Don't worry. First of all, the Son of David prophecy will be fulfilled. The Virgin will bear a son. Uh, and that's verses 13 through 15. Then verse 16. But about the current problem that you're facing. Don't worry about that either, because before old schlep along, this is the remember, uh, talked about Chekhov's law. This is the gun going off. This is the boy that was schlepped along. And before this boy, now we're talking to you individually as these two kings you dread. They're going to be removed. They're going to. They're going to fail. And you'll still be safe and secure on the throne. And so you really have, in verse 13 through 15, a long term prophecy. And then verse 16, a short term prophecy dealing with the problem that A has had.
S7: What does verse.
S3: 15, by the time he learns to reject what is bad and choose what is good, he will be eating butter and honey. That's referring to Emmanuel.
S1: Yeah, that's referring to Emmanuel. Uh, it's saying, but that's by the time he comes of age because he's an infant. Just in a few years when he knows to reject the evil and choose the good, uh, he'll be eating butter and honey. That's one version. What does yours say, Eva? Curds.
S2: Curds? Yea, curds like cottage cheese.
S1: If you keep reading in Isaiah seven, the food of oppression occurs in honey. Why? Because you can't have agricultural development. When you're under oppression. And so Assyria is going to come and shave the land and all that, and the only food you will have are the wild. You'll have the wild, honey, because that will still be there, and the cows will be able to, and the goats will be able to graze, and you'll be able to get dairy and make curds. Or, uh, what is this version? Say butter and you can eat that. And so because we know butter and honey or curds and honey is the food of oppression, it is saying that this child will be born, but he'll be born of a virgin in a time of political oppression. And when was Jesus born.
S3: In a time of political oppression?
S1: Exactly, exactly.
S4: Romans. You know what? This speaks to me, Michael. More than anything, is the sovereignty of God. Because Isaiah is told to say to Ahaz, and this is my life verse I told you in the break, calm down and be quiet. Yeah. Don't be afraid or cowardly. You know when you think it's impossible, there's something bigger. There's something bigger going on here, and it's going to be going on. And you can trust the God of the universe who has this all in control. It doesn't mean that I can't feel what I feel, because certainly Ahaz was in that, you know, catch 22 that you described a little earlier. So it's like, okay, the psalmist did that. We can feel that. But where is our trust and hope? Is it in us figuring it out or in us placing our full faith and trust in what God has done, is doing and will do?
S1: Exactly. And what's the hope in? It's in Immanuel, the child that's born who is God with us. So we're in an impossible situation. Remember what Jesus said? What did he say about impossible situations? Nothing is impossible.
S2: Nothing is impossible with God.
S1: And if God is with us, who can be against us? And so I don't know what circumstance people may be facing. But just remember this the all powerful, all knowing, always faithful God is with us and that should give us hope, just as it did was supposed to do for Ahaz, just as it did for the the house of David. And just as it should do for all Israel in the world. Isn't that true? That he's the one that gives us hope? Well, that's the first hour of Open Line of our special Christmas Bible study on Isaiah seven. We're going to keep talking about Isaiah's prophecies of the Messiah, chapter nine and chapter 11. As you if you stick with us for the second hour of open line, this important Bible study across America will continue in the second hour. Stay with us. Open line with Doctor Michael Ray Dolnick is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute. See you next hour.