S1: When Ruth's husband died, she was tempted to feel alone when she moved to another country. She was tempted to feel alone. But the biblical story of Ruth is a striking reminder that with God, we are never alone. Today we're going to meet this famous Bible character in a fresh, new way. Welcome to the land and the book. If you're new to the program, a special welcome to you. Our host is Doctor Charlie Dyer, a noted Old Testament scholar, frequent Israel traveler. I'm John Gager kind of along for the ride. And Charlie, help a new listener understand how we divide up this one hour broadcast.
S2: Oh, yeah. John, this is actually a one hour trip to Israel. Uh, we start with current events. You know what's been happening there. And certainly there's a lot in the news taking place in Israel today. Uh, then we have an interview. And as you just mentioned, uh, somebody wants to learn more about Ruth today. Uh, but every week you have a just a fascinating person there. Uh, the third segment is question and answer. Once you read the Bible, you have questions. Well, you can write your questions to us, send them to us, and we'll answer them on air. And then the final segment is where we marry together, the land and the book. That is, we take you to a spot in the land, open up the Word of God and help you understand what God meant there. Today we're going to visit with Solomon and talk about the lazy days of summer. All right.
S1: So lots of variety, never stuffy or boring. I think you'll appreciate what you hear. Let's dig into our current events. Topics for the week. Israel's war with Hamas continues, though this past week saw a surge of optimism that a hostage deal and possible end to the conflict might be just over the horizon. What's been happening and how quickly could the conflict end if a deal is reached?
S2: Yeah, well, in spite of the optimistic predictions, it's likely that a deal, if it finally happens, is several weeks or more away. The main point that got everyone excited is that Hamas has dropped its upfront demand for a permanent ceasefire prior to the first phase of a hostage deal, but several major obstacles remain. Hamas will still likely push for a permanent cease fire as part of the deal. Before the release of all the hostages, Prime Minister Netanyahu tried to temper the optimism. He issued a list of non-negotiable demands from Israel's side, and one is a guarantee that Israel could still resume fighting should their demands not be met. War weary Israelis, including those who oppose Netanyahu even before the start of the war? Well, they accused him of attempting to sabotage the negotiations. Netanyahu is actually fighting a two front war. One is the actual fight against Hamas, which Israel has been winning. One reason Hamas was willing to change its initial bargaining position were the losses they've sustained in Gaza. But the second front Netanyahu has to face is an internal battle with dissension and distrust in Israel itself. and it extends even into his coalition. Recent polls suggest the majority of Israelis are willing to end the war, even leaving Hamas in control of Gaza if that would secure the return of the hostages. And the ruling coalition is displaying deep fractures between the ultra-Orthodox and the far right parties, their sparring is threatening to bring down the government. Now, even if Israel and Hamas can reach agreement on the main points of the deal, it doesn't mean the conflict is over. It'll take several weeks to hammer out all the details of an agreement. In the past, Hamas has suddenly demanded last minute changes, and the closer the two sides get to reaching a final agreement, the greater the pressure will be on Israel to cave in in those key points. All that to say, a deal might be reached, but it could take longer than most expect, and the final outcome for Israel could be less than what they wanted when the fighting first began, and it could result in new elections sooner rather than later.
S1: Related to the war in Gaza is the ongoing tension between Israel and Hezbollah. Are these two enemies heading toward peace or war? Reports coming out of northern Israel and Lebanon are definitely mixed. So what might the future hold on this front?
S2: Yeah, the situation is still extremely unsettled, though I think there were positive hints over the past week. Hezbollah has said it will stop fighting if a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas takes effect. This places additional pressure on Israel to reach that agreement. Both Israel and Hezbollah have avoided taking any actions that would force the other to launch an all out war, but at the same time, each has been trying to put pressure on the other side. Israel has attacked Hezbollah's rocket launch sites, their outposts, their camps, their weapons sites and control centers. They've killed over 350 Hezbollah fighters and several senior commanders, along with more than 150 terrorists from other allied organizations in Lebanon. For its part, Hezbollah has launched over 5500 rockets and missiles at Israeli towns and military bases along the border since October 8th, killing about 20 Israeli soldiers and ten civilians. Hezbollah's rockets and missiles have also sparked fires in the same area. Around 22,000 acres have been burned in northern Israel, and they released video footage from drones. They've flown over Israeli bases, suggesting they have the ability to attack those sites. So what's next? Well, if a cease fire takes effect between Hamas and Israel, Hezbollah could very well stop its attacks, bringing a tense truce to the north. Otherwise, Israel has threatened to launch an attack against Hezbollah to push the group off the border. And we just need to hope that there can be some peaceful solution to that problem.
S1: You know, Charlie, I think of myself being, let's say, a resident up there in the North and let's say an agreement is finally reached with Hezbollah. I just am not sure how anxious I would be to move back home. I would like to, but can you trust what do you think about all that?
S2: That's why the key, I think, is going to be Hezbollah has to move off the border. In fact, they're saying that they have to move north of the Litani River, about 6 to 8 miles away from Israel's border, and pull all of their forces out, pull all of the equipment and all their weapons out of that area. That's what it will take for Israelis to feel safe going back to the border.
S1: That's doctor Charlie Dyer, Israel expert. I'm John Gieger. This is the land in the book. And as we know, the Bible is jam packed with end times prophecies about epic world events, the regathering of the Jewish people to their ancient homeland, and Jesus soon returned. It is crucial for us as believers, Charlie, to have a proper understanding of Bible prophecy. So our view of the future is shaped by Scripture, not today's headlines. Right?
S2: That's right John. And that's why, with this in mind, our friends at Life and Messiah have published a book titled God, Israel and Bible Prophecy, and they're offering it to listeners of the land and the book for a limited time. Now, this informative book is focused on providing readers with a deeper understanding and greater appreciation of what God has in store for Israel and the nations by digging into what the scriptures say about these issues. Now, if you're interested in learning more about what God has in store, visit Life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button there to find out how you can reserve your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: As we continue our look at current events from the week, Egypt has been largely absent from our news. Apart from its role in trying to broker an agreement between Hamas and Israel. But they've been facing their own internal struggles. So what's been happening in Egypt that isn't being widely reported?
S2: Yeah, Egypt is facing rising discontent from several economic challenges brought on by years of economic mismanagement. And this mismanagement was compounded first by the pandemic, which devastated the tourism industry, and then by the war between Russia and Ukraine, which raised the price of grain. Egypt is the world's largest importer of grain, and both countries were two of its major suppliers. The central Bank of Egypt devalued the Egyptian pound, which helped boost Egyptian exports, but also increased the price of essential goods like food and fuel. Now all that is combined to force nearly 30% of Egyptians into poverty. And to add insult to injury. Extreme heat this summer has plagued the country, just as the government was forced to implement rolling electrical blackouts because of a shortage of fuel needed to power the turbines. In the face of mounting public discontent, Egypt recently swore in a new cabinet. The Minister of Petroleum and Mineral Resources promised to stop the power cuts during the summer, but only beginning July 21st. That's when sufficient shipments of natural gas and diesel will arrive to help keep those generators operating at higher capacity. Now, electricity is obviously important during the hot summer, but another problem is water. Egypt depends on the Nile River for 97% of its water, and Ethiopia continues to divert water from the Nile to fill the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam, which is going to be Africa's largest dam. Egypt views this project as a threat to its very existence. Egypt's government is now under pressure to act quickly to preserve the country's water rights before it's too late. So water, power, food three essentials that the government is rushing to address before they create even greater unrest among Egypt's 114 million inhabitants.
S1: Well, could detecting cancer be as easy as taking a saliva test? A partnership between cell Agnostics and Sheba medical center are working on just such a test for oral cavity cancer. Tell us about this innovation from Amazing Israel.
S2: Yeah, this is a work in progress. But it's not simply wishful thinking. It's a collaborative effort between the Innovation Center at Israel's largest hospital and agnostics. This Jerusalem based startup that's already developed several saliva based tests, including the world's first saliva based pregnancy test. Now, because saliva comes into contact with infected oral tissue. They're working on the assumption that saliva very likely carries disease markers, and a simple saliva test increases the chances of detecting oral cavity cancer at an earlier stage. In addition to testing for oral cavity cancer, they also plan to develop saliva based tests for the early detection of head and neck cancer. On the company's website, they highlight some of the research where a saliva test can be useful, including a report on possible biomarkers for the detection of pancreatic cancer. Now imagine John someday undergoing early cancer detection through the use of a simple saliva test. That's another innovation being developed today by researchers in amazing Israel.
S1: And that's a look at current events. Thank you Charlie. Looking forward to our program. Up next, a conversation about the life of Ruth, what you and I can learn from her, her journey, her experience, plus Bible questions and answers and Charlie's devotional to finish things out. Lots to listen to and I hope you'll be here for all of it. On the land and the book from Moody Radio. Faraway lands, hostile roads. Not enough water. Way too many robbers. Think of all the obstacles that Ruth and Naomi faced in their trek to Bethlehem. When you give it further thought, the biblical story of Ruth paves the way for our story. Hey, welcome to segment two. Here on the land and the book, I'm John Gager, and we're about to connect with one of my favorite Bible characters. But what about the characters in your neighborhood specifically? How can you and I be more intentional in sharing the love of Jesus with our Jewish friends? Here's an idea worth considering. Finding Yeshua in the Old Testament. Wouldn't you want your Jewish friend to find him there? But that's my heart. And we're talking with Michael Redlich, who has the editor of the Moody Handbook of Messianic Prophecy. Some wisdom from you, Michael. What would you say?
S3: Well, it's not enough to point out that the Psalms say that Jesus died for us by crucifixion. Psalm 2216 but also that he was raised. It is crucial to see that the prophets foretold, and particularly the Book of Psalms, foretold the Messiah would be raised from the dead in Psalm 1610. This is not talking about David. It says, for you will not abandon me to she'll. She'll is the place of the dead. That's all it really means in the Hebrew Bible. You will not allow your faithful one one of the most common terms for the Messiah to undergo decay. Not only will he not stay dead in Sheol, but he will be raised before he actually undergoes any kind of decay, sees any kind of corruption, no bodily decay. And so it's saying just very rapidly, there will be a resurrection that will happen. And so right there, that was one of the key points. Peter mentions it in acts two and Paul mentions it in acts 13. I think this is one of the crucial psalms that was pointed out that the Messiah not only would die for us, but that he would be raised from the dead.
S1: Finding Yeshua in the Old Testament. A great tool to share with your friend as well. That's Doctor Michael Redlich, professor of Jewish studies at Moody Bible Institute on the land and the book. Jessica Manfrey is a licensed master social worker, author, and co-founder of a nonprofit called Inspire Up. She spent her childhood years on the west coast of Florida and comes from a big Italian family. Jessica is a proud United States Coast Guard spouse of 15 years and mom of two beautiful children. She's also written the Moody Publishers book Never Alone. Hey, welcome to the land and the book, Jessica.
S4: Thank you so much for having me.
S1: So you've made an unusual connection, I think, between the biblical character of Ruth and the lives of modern military spouses. What led you to this insight?
S4: Well, I knew that I was going to write this book. I really wanted to target loneliness and bring it to the forefront and have an open discussion about it. And really, Ruth has always been my favorite book of the Bible. It's probably because it's very rich in narration. I love a good story more than that, I guess. You know, honestly, I was I was reading it over coffee and I just it was an aha moment, you know, that we sometimes hear. And I just found that connection like, you know, the way, the way we follow our service members, the way we, you know, cleave to our friendships again, faraway lands and don't know where you're going. I mean, so much of it was parallel to our lives.
S1: I think too often when we read the story of Ruth, some of us want to jump to the happily ever after moment where she and Boaz get married. You know, all the land is, you know, appropriated. But that's a mistake. It seems to me. It minimizes the long season of anxiety, unfulfillment and uncertainty that that she lived through. What are your thoughts?
S4: No, I completely agree. And you know, when I wrote this, you know, the introduction clearly states you don't need to be a military spouse to read this, that I'm talking to everyone because we've all gone through it, you know, loneliness, despair, you know, bitterness really in our situation. I mean, there's such honesty in it, you know, and I've heard people say, oh my gosh, like, how could she have these moments? But you know what? We're all human and we've been there. And then to have someone come in like Ruth, you know, so unexpected, right? A pagan woman to be the one to bring her back to faith. It's really a beautiful story, you know, a friendship, redemption and just the goodness that's there, even when we can't see it.
S1: What does that say of us, though, as a as a culture that we do want to rush to the happily ever after? I mean, it was a long trek, a long desert, a hot desert, and and there were a whole lot of unanswered questions for Ruth and Naomi.
S4: Well, I mean, I can laugh with you and talk about just the changes in technology, but the reality is we've become this instant gratification society. I don't even know if my children could handle dial up internet, let alone a desert trek, you know? But we really are like, if it doesn't happen instantly, you know, we're frustrated. Think about being in the car and traffic is bad. I mean, it really, really puts a lens on. Are we putting those expectations of instant for God to, you know, in our lives?
S1: Jessica Manfrey has written the Moody Publishers book Never Alone. Her husband is with the United States Coast Guard for more than 15 years. She's got two beautiful kids, and she joins us again on the land and the book. Hey, let me ask you what you personally most admire about Ruth. What character quality of hers do you wish you had more of?
S4: Oh my gosh. Um, she strikes me as just such a courageous woman without fear, you know? Um, she's lost her husband. Everything is going wrong. And suddenly, you know, her mother in law is essentially asking her to, you know, abandon her. And despite the fact that she probably had family to go back to, you know, she made the decision. No, like, this is the right way. This is the right path. I'm going to go essentially completely alone, you know, with no ties to where they were going. So I would say the courage, just undeniable courage. I wish I had more than that because I definitely hesitate a lot. I mean, you know, I'm a mom, so I'm like, fear, what's going to get broken? You know, what's going to happen. You know, I overanalyze. So her courage is just beautiful.
S5: Yeah.
S1: Where do you think she got that courage? I mean, as part of that natural born personality or is it a God given gift that was uniquely hers, or is it a combination or byproduct of of lessons learned?
S4: Young you know, we can speculate so much. And this is one of those stories that I'm like, man, I wish we had more meat to it. You know what I mean? To really understand because we can just imagine, I would I mean, we know she lost her husband. We know that she immediately was like, no, where you go, I go. So you have to wonder. I think it was a character thing. I definitely think, you know, there were some God moments there of encouraging her, because why else would this woman with with no God say no? Your God is my God without any hesitation or need a moment, you know, to to think about it. So yeah, I would say combination of those two things character and definitely got involved.
S1: You've titled the book Never Alone. Elaborate on what you or or maybe Ruth even are trying to say here in that title.
S4: You know, this story can correlate to so much, you know, when I was writing it and then when I released it, the Surgeon General of the United States labeled loneliness as an epidemic. You know, the world with the pandemic and, you know, just the restrictions that were placed and, you know, the isolation that was felt. But I think it started long before that. You know, we've stopped connecting, you know, with one another. We've stopped having faith in our fellow human being or knowing our neighbors. And so I would hope that this will be a reminder that no matter how desperate your circumstances are or how alone you feel, God is right there with you, you know, waiting, you know, to guide you. If you just listen.
S1: Today on the Land and the book, it's a conversation with Jessica Manfrey, who has written the Moody Publishers book Never Alone. Hey, let's envision a conversation unfolding now between Ruth and a concerned wife, perhaps a military spouse. What kind of counsel might she offer to that person? And the point really is loneliness. I mean, I you know, she says, I, I thought I was geared for this, ready for this, but I'm not. What would you say to me, Ruth? What would Ruth say?
S4: Oh my gosh. Um, I think number one would be hold fast to your faith. You know, that is something that if we can just, you know, treat it like an anchor, that's something that's always going to be present for us and know I'm not going to be light hearted and say, you know, nothing else matters because we know it does. We know that being a military spouse carries a sacrifice and a weight, especially when you are far from family and supports. But if we hold fast to faith, and I imagine Ruth would be encouraging them, you know, look how far you've come. Look at the journey that's ahead of you. You don't have to do it alone. He's right here. There's so much richness, you know, in this word to help guide you. That's what I would hope she would say.
S1: What do you think is an aspect of Ruth's life that we don't really focus on, but maybe should? What are we what are we missing?
S5: Um.
S4: I mean, there's a lot there. I wish we had more of her early years to understand. I also think sometimes when we go through this story, we don't focus on their arrival. Right. And what that must have been like her, her being a stranger, not knowing anyone, but immediately saying, I'm going to work. I'm going to figure this out. I'm going to I'm going to care for you. You know, we are not alone. We're going to make it through. And she wasn't just, you know, pursuing a life for herself, but she was taking care of another human being. And so when you just think of what can we be doing? You know, for others are we like Ruth in that way? It just begs that question.
S1: You know, I think of that iconic statement of Ruth's, you know, where you go, I'm going to go and your God will be my God. You have to ask yourself, is that declaration of faith in God something that that she reached at that moment? Was it something she had already possessed, or was it? I'm launching into this here and now. You know, we don't know, as you say, all the details, but it does make you wonder, doesn't it?
S4: It really does. And I've thought about that often. I'm like, was this something that was a slow build for her? And we just didn't know because we don't have that context? Or was it in that moment, you know, she was just filled with the Holy Spirit and just knew with, you know, wavering conviction. This is it. You know, your God is my God. It's such a beautiful thing to ponder. I like to envision that maybe it was a slow build, maybe being, you know, around the family and coming to these conclusions. And, you know, what a beautiful thing. But just given how fast it happened in the story, the other thing is certainly possible and how remarkable, right, that God would use her that way.
S1: Thanks for being a part of the land and the book. I'm John Gager with our guest, Jessica Manfrey, a military spouse who has written the Moody Publishers book Never Alone. You know, Ruth is nothing if not a story of redemption. We cheer for her, but talk to the spouse who isn't feeling much of that redemption right now. Maybe there is no happily ever after. Maybe separation from her military spouse is leading to, you know, a separation in marriage or worse, encourage them. What would you say to them?
S4: Well, I would say that this chapter is not your whole story, you know, and one of the things that I try to do, you know, really intentionally with, with this book is that I infused my own backstory, you know, traumas that I had endured, things that went on. And I really try, even in my practice as a therapist, to get, you know, my patients to come to the reconciliation, not your worst day is not your only day. The worst mistake you've ever made, you know, doesn't define you. And so whatever that spouse is walking through, or even someone who's not a military spouse, just know that you are more you are so much more. And God has called us to be more. And so yes, you know, seek, you know, redemption and, you know, work towards, you know, good. Absolutely. I know you're going to have to sit in a bad space, but you've got to help guide you.
S1: You also write extensively about the wounds of despair, as you put it. Address that in a military context, and maybe also for civilian spouses, those who definitely feel the wounds of despair.
S4: Despair is such a oh my gosh, that's such a heavy emotion, right? I mean, you can feel it in the loss, you know, of a family member of a child in the separation. You know, if you are a military spouse who's undergoing a deployment and everything is going wrong, it's really, really hard to see the light in that kind of darkness. Right? And those wounds can can leave scars, right. You feel like they're healed, but maybe they're not really. They're still present. They're still there. They're pulling. Right. And so it's just kind of up to us to be really, really honest with ourselves and recognize those things that are that are maybe building and address them accordingly, whether that's with your pastor, you know, a good friend. I'm always an encourager of therapy because, you know, therapist is going to be that third party. They're unbiased. They're going to help you unpack things and do it in a way that allows you to do some really, really deep work.
S1: I noticed in the book, you also kind of introduce us to a conversation about preparing for loss. What does this look like for military spouses and and how can the rest of us prepare for loss? Obviously, in the military world, you know, we we jump immediately to people who are in harm's way. But give us your own particular spin on that.
S6: Yeah.
S4: So for us, you know, as a military spouse, I moved, you know, nine, ten times. I've kind of lost count. And, you know, that means saying goodbye to people and that hurts. Oh my gosh. You know, when you when you've turned a place that you've never been to suddenly to home and it's filled with people that you love Walking away from that is incredibly difficult, as is leaving your family and friends from, you know, your place of origin and missing out on so much. And so you kind of have to prepare yourself. And I say this for a lot of reasons. Grief can really be the anchor that we don't want, so we can find ourselves almost going down a rabbit hole and letting it determine our entire life. And so preparing your heart for loss really just, you know, essentially is building a backpack with really, really healthy coping. And it develops us into really gritty people who, yes, something bad and horrific has happened. And we're going to acknowledge that. But now what are we going to do? You know, we're in charge of how we proceed, you know, do we proceed, you know, with looking, you know, beyond that and knowing that goodness is going to come, that this grief and, you know, these feelings are going to subside, they'll always be that missing piece. But we still have the rest of our lives that we have to contend with and hopefully, you know, love and and live through well.
S1: Well, this sounds like a conversation that a whole lot of listeners are going to want to be a part of. And we invite you to visit our web site, The Land and the Book org, where we'll link you to Jessica's book and to her website as well, the land and the book. Org thanks for your time, Jessica.
S4: Thank you for having me. This was such a wonderful conversation. I surely appreciate it.
S1: And we're looking forward to a visit from Charlie Dyer next on the Land and the book. It's that time again. Time to take a look at questions that have come into our email inbox from listeners just like you. Kind of fun to get an answer to a question that you've been puzzling over. And that's your experience every time you email us at The Land and the book@moody.edu. Our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer, has his Bible open. And Charlie, you know, Israel has been in the news a lot over the past year. And as we know, the Bible is jam packed with end times prophecies about epic world events, the regathering of the Jewish people to their ancient homeland. And then Jesus soon returned. It is crucial for us as believers, though, to have a proper understanding of Bible prophecy. So our view of the future is shaped by Scripture, not today's headlines. Right?
S2: That's exactly right. And with this in mind, our friends at Life and Messiah have published a book titled God, Israel and Bible Prophecy, and they're offering it to listeners of the land in the book for a limited time. This informative book is focused on providing readers with a deeper understanding and a greater appreciation of what God has in store for Israel and the nations by digging into what the scriptures say about these issues. Now, if you're interested in learning more about what God has in store, visit Life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button there to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: Well, as always, we've got a wide range of questions today. They're all over the map. Fasten your seat belts will dig in. Here we go. Question one does the Holy Spirit still give the gifts of apostles, prophets and tongues today?
S2: Yeah, well, I believe the answer is no. And I say that for two reasons. First, Paul specifically said some of the gifts of the Holy Spirit were temporary. In first Corinthians 13 eight he specifically mentions prophecy and tongues. He says love never fails, but if there are gifts of prophecy, they'll be done away. If there are tongues, they will cease. If there's knowledge, it'll be done away. And the second reason I say this is the gift of apostleship seems specifically to have been related to actually having seen the risen Lord Jesus Christ. In first Corinthians 911, Paul wrote, am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Now, I don't want to minimize, you know, people who claim to have these gifts. But as I read the Bible, it looks to me like these were temporary gifts related to the foundation of the early church. Once the church was established and the Bible was completed, then there was no need any longer for these temporary gifts. Can a person.
S1: Lose his or her salvation is question two.
S2: Yeah, well, the short answer is someone who's been truly born again cannot lose their salvation. And I say that because of two key passages of Scripture in John ten verses 27 to 30. Jesus said, my sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me, and I give eternal life to them, and they shall never perish, and no one shall snatch them out of my hand. My father, who has given them to me is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of my father's hand. I and the father are one. Jesus says that He and God the Father have teamed up together to keep his sheep safe forever, and that's a powerful combination. The second passage is first John 511 to 13. There John wrote, the witness is this that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the son has life. He who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. These things I've written to you, who believe in the name of the Son of God, in order that you may know that you have eternal life. If we can lose it, then it's not eternal. Now I need to add one other word of caution, though. It's possible for someone to make a false profession of faith in Christ. They say the right words, but they don't truly turn from their sins to accept him as their Savior and Lord. Right? And Jesus made that clear in Matthew seven. He said, A time will come when people will say, uh, Lord, Lord. And he says, depart from me. I never knew you. Those people didn't lose their salvation. They just never had it to begin with.
S1: Here's an interesting question what kind of food did Jesus and the disciples eat? Did they have pita bread, Charlie?
S2: Well, pita bread? Yes. Big Macs? No. Uh, yeah. But on a serious note, we do have a relatively good idea of what they ate. You know, the seven species of the land, as they're called in Deuteronomy eight, uh, were the main foods a wheat, barley, vines, which means grapes and wine and figs, pomegranates, olive oil, and date palm honey. So they ate a lot of what we'd say are whole grains and fruit. Now, they also kept sheep and goats, but they ate relatively little meat. Remember, the fatted calf wasn't killed until a feast was held when the prodigal son returned. They used the milk, though, from those animals. For milk and for cheese and for yogurt. Now, in Ezekiel eight, we're also given a list of other grains they would have eaten in picturing a time of famine. Ezekiel was told to mix together these grains, which normally would have been eaten separately, and he mentions wheat and barley and beans and lentils and millet and spelt. So the bottom line in all this the primary diet was whole grains, fresh vegetables with olive oil, some dairy products and very little meat or sweets. They combine all that with a great deal of physical exercise, and they were generally in pretty good health.
S1: This listener wants to know is Psalm 22 a prophecy of Jesus praying to God on the cross?
S2: Yeah, I believe you're heading in the right direction. Jesus quoted the very words of Psalm 22, verse one, when he was on the cross, My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? The psalm was written by David to describe his experience, but I believe it was also intended to give us a prophetic glimpse into the suffering of Jesus. And I say that because of all the parallels, they're just too dramatic to ignore. You know, David mentions the mocking of those who were watching. He mentions the enemies piercing my hands and my feet. He mentions them casting lots for my clothing. You know, a thousand years before the events of Calvary, I believe David described perfectly what Jesus experienced on the cross.
S1: This listener wants to know why do we bow our heads and close our eyes when we pray? When Jesus looked up to heaven when he prayed.
S2: Yeah, it's actually a great question. The first thing that comes to mind I do believe it's related more to tradition than anything else. I think bowing our heads was intended to show reverence and respect and humility, and closing our eyes was to help blot out distractions. But in the Bible, you find people prostrating themselves on the ground and standing upright. You find them raising their hands and beating their breasts. At least in the case of Jesus illustration of the public and praying to God in the temple, no one position is demanded, though the most common probably is lifting our hands toward heaven. I believe Jesus's words in the sermon on the Mount are most helpful here. It's not so much where we pray or how we pray, as it is what we pray and our heart attitude when we're doing it.
S1: From Moody Radio, This is the Land and the book, a fast paced set of questions today that we're looking at yours. Welcome. Any time when you email us at The Land and the Book at book@moody.edu. Maybe it's a Bible study. You're in a sermon. You heard a passage you just read. That question is welcome at the land and the book@moody.edu. First, Samuel 17 has the story of David and Goliath, and this listener wants to know, did David pick up five smooth stones, as we're told, because Goliath had four other brothers.
S2: You know, second Samuel 21, does appear to say that Goliath had four brothers. But that passage does have a few problems, depending on the translation of verse 19. It either says the the person killed was Goliath or the brother of Goliath. But I think there's a better answer, though, as to why David chose five smooth stones as he prepared to fight Goliath, and it has to do with biblical wisdom. Although David was certain God was on his side, he had no guarantee that God would give him victory on his very first attempt. I suspect that David's past experience had taught him to fill his pouch with stones, so that he would have a backup ready, just in case. Now, that's not a lack of faith on David's part, as much as it is a realization of trying to hit a target in battle, conditions can be hard. He had plenty of faith in God, but he was allowing for his own human frailty in planning for the possibility of missing on his first attempt.
S1: All right. Our next question. Why do eastern cultures seem to be more in tune with spirituality than Western cultures?
S2: I think it probably has to do with the rise of rationalism in the West. During the late Middle Ages, we became more enamored with science, the scientific method, observation, experimentation, your logic. And in one sense, these are good things. They've brought about major advances in science and medicine. But the downside is that many in the West have neglected that part of life, which can't be subject to scientific analysis. But let me add, though, that spirituality alone isn't necessarily a good thing. A feeling and experience divorced from knowledge can lead to serious error. Second Timothy three. The apostle described the end times as a time when people would hold to a. He says a form of godliness, but deny its power. That is, they'll appear to be spiritual, but it'll be a delusional spirituality that's divorced from God's revelation. And in Second Peter two, Peter makes it clear that the apostles didn't follow cleverly devised tales, but he says they were eyewitnesses of the events. In short, he's saying that the spirituality of the Christian faith is a rational Christianity based on actual factual events.
S1: And here's an interesting question. When was the Sabbath changed to Sunday? Well, the.
S2: Sabbath, the seventh day of the week. And that's never changed. But the time when people gathered to worship did change from Saturday to Sunday in the early church. And I think it was related to the fact that Jesus rose from the dead on the first day of the week, which is Sunday. Matthew 28 one now after the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, that's when Mary Magdalene and the others came to the tomb. Acts 20. Verse seven. On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul begins talking to the people at the church in Troas. And first Corinthians 16 two Paul says, on the first day of every week, let each of you put aside and save as he may prosper, that no collections be made when I come. So he writes that to the church in Corinth. But it seems like the early church from very early on began worshiping on the first day of the week, because that was the day Jesus rose from the dead.
S1: Back to Genesis after he killed Abel, who did Cain marry?
S2: I think the Bible gives a fairly straightforward answer. Genesis five four says, Adam and Eve had other sons and daughters. After the birth of Cain and Abel, Cain, after killing his brother, must have married one of his sisters.
S1: Okay, boy, we've covered the ground here today, wide and deep. Your question is always welcome at the land and the book@moody.edu. Charlie's devotional is next. Whether you're watching online or on television, it seems like the images almost encourage you to chill out and be lazy during the summer. But should we be lazy during the summer? What do you say, Charlie Dyer?
S2: My answer will be no, but you'll be surprised how I say it.
S1: You'll be surprised as you listen to his devotional, Avoiding the Lazy Days of Summer. That's what's next here on the land and the book in this fourth segment. Welcome back, by the way. And before we get to that devotional, let's get to this testimony from an Israel traveler.
S7: Hi, my name is Linda. And one of the things that when we were traveling right from the beginning on the Sea of Galilee was the realization that you get out there on that water and you think, you look this way and you look that way, and you look all around you, and you see how the things that Jesus did, Charlie presented things of the different things that took place just around the Sea of Galilee, and then, of course, on the sea with Peter walking and all of that type of thing. And what a wonderful thing to be able to see all of this, to be aware of where Jesus was and the things that he accomplished around that sea.
S1: All right, let's get on with Charlie Dyer's devotional, Avoiding the Lazy Days of Summer. We're headed for Proverbs 24 and 26. And Charlie, it's all yours. Ah.
S2: Thank you. You know, John, way back in 1963, Nat King Cole released a song titled Those Lazy, Hazy, Crazy Days of Summer. The song became a top ten single, and it ended 1963 at number 59 on the list of Billboard Hot 100 singles for the year. Even now, six decades later, it's still occasionally receives airtime, usually connected with comments about the warm summer weather. Well, today we're heading back to Israel to talk with Solomon about wisdom for life. And in many ways, today's conversation is the flipside of his wisdom from last week. That's where Solomon shared what is versus what should be in our response to those struggling in poverty. But this week, Solomon is focusing on how to avoid the lazy days of summer. But I'm getting ahead of myself. So let's head out to meet Solomon and hear his wise observations. We're outside Jerusalem on the road that leads south toward Bethlehem. On both sides of the dirt road are terraced fields covered with ripening barley and wheat, interspersed with vineyards. And coming toward us is Solomon, deep in thought. He stops and we ask where he's been. His answer is direct, but also rather cryptic. I went past the field of the sluggard, past the vineyard of the man who lacks judgment. Thorns had come up everywhere. The ground was covered with weeds and the stone wall was in ruins. I applied my heart to what I observed and learned a lesson from what I saw. A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest. And poverty will come on you like a bandit. And scarcity like an armed man. The combination of words he uses for sluggard can literally be translated lazy man, and lacking sense is literally lacking heart, with the heart representing here the seat of knowledge, thought, and reflection. Solomon characterized the person by observing the field that he owned. Nettles and thistles, a common agricultural problem in Israel, had totally overgrown the grain and vines, and the stone wall built to both mark the field's boundaries and to keep out wild animals, was completely broken down In agriculture, there is a great deal of work that must be done long before the crops can be harvested. And having worked on farms for a few summers while growing up, I can definitely say that it is hard work. And today we have tractors and other mechanized equipment. Standing here with Solomon, we see other farmers out in their fields chopping at the thorns and thistles that never seem to stop sprouting, and then taking a break from that repetitive work. They walk through the fields, gathering up the rocks that always seem to push their way through the soil, labouring under the load. They carry the rocks over to repair the stone walls that always seem to be toppling at the most inconvenient time. So where's the farmer with the overgrown field? He's home, taking a siesta. It's too hot under the intense summer sun. He's too tired to head out today. Perhaps tomorrow it will be cooler. Or perhaps there will be some clouds. Something not very likely, though possible. Or perhaps he will suddenly have a surge of ambition. Or perhaps. Or perhaps. But in the meantime, he's resting over there in the shade, hands folded together behind his head to make a nice pillow, and Solomon, in his wisdom, looked down the road of time and saw poverty and scarcity coming on this individual as unexpectedly as a bandit or an armed robber. We're taken aback by Solomon's observations, but he's not done yet. He then shares with us his other thoughts on laziness and its consequences, found just two chapters later in his book, The Sluggard says there's a lion in the road, a fierce lion roaming the streets as a door turns on its hinges. So a sluggard turns on his bed. The sluggard buries his hand in the dish. He's too lazy to bring it back to his mouth. The sluggard is wiser in his own eyes than seven men, who answered discreetly as we cock our heads to the side, trying to decipher Solomon's cryptic observations, he smiles and shares the point of each comparison. First, he says, the sluggard will make up the wildest excuses to keep from working. There are indeed lions in the land. Remember, my father David fought one when he was watching the sheep in the wilderness, but they are few and far between. It seems the sluggard will work harder inventing excuses than he will actually working. But how about your comparison to a door turning on its hinges? What do you mean? There? Well, smiling Solomon pantomimes turning from one side to another. About the only exercise the sluggard seems to get is rolling over in bed. I'm using an exaggeration, but I think you get the point. The sluggard does as little work as possible. Okay, but what do you mean when you said he buries his hand in the dish and is too weary to bring it to his mouth? Well, Solomon says you first need to remember that we don't have those fancy utensils you use for eating food. We use our fingers like forks, sometimes with a piece of pita to serve as a scoop. The common pan is placed before us, and we dip in to scoop out some rice, or perhaps a piece of meat or vegetable. Again, I'm using exaggeration to show that even the task of eating seems like it just takes too much effort to the sluggard, let alone growing the crops or preparing the meal. But then you ended by saying the sluggard is wiser in his own eyes than seven, who can give a discreet answer. Help us here, Solomon chuckles. Well, the one thing the sluggard possesses in abundance is conceit sevens, a number that represents completeness. Place the sluggard against seven individuals who can explain why diligence and hard work are important, and the sluggard will believe his approach to life. Rest. Take it easy. Have a good time is a far wiser way to live than to do all the toil and hard work, and it does seem to make life more enjoyable all the way up till harvest time and the famine that follows. But we say goodbye to Solomon as he turns for home. But what does all this have to do with us today? Sadly, a great deal. There is a philosophy today that says it's foolish to work long and hard. Books abound, telling people they can and should enjoy life without working hard. That personal fulfillment and happiness are the real goals, and that work should never be allowed to get in the way. And it seems very well until the money given to you by your parents, or by well-meaning and sympathetic friends, or from wherever you get it, runs out. And that's why the wisdom of Proverbs is so important. Work and material possessions are never to become our God. But at the same time, God designed us to do work. It's part of his original creation for humanity. In the Garden of Eden last week, we learned the importance of reaching out to help those who are poor through no fault of their own. This week we see the opposite side of the equation. We need to be very reluctant to encourage or support those who deliberately choose a lifestyle of laziness, expecting others to support them when they're unwilling to support themselves. In essence, they want to enjoy a good time while demanding that you pay for it. And that's another form of theft. Paul applied this very wisdom of Solomon when he wrote to the church at Ephesus. He balanced the importance of helping those in need with the importance of being a giver rather than a taker in our relationship to others. He who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work doing something useful with his own hands that he may have something to share with those in need. As those who claim to love God, let's follow his wise advice for life. Avoid the lazy days of summer and be diligent in all you do, not necessarily to amass riches for yourself, but so you have sufficient to share with those who are in genuine need. That's a wise way to live life.
S1: And that's a wise, wise devotional. Thank you Charlie. You know, if you appreciate the land and the book, we've got two favors to ask of you. One, tell a friend about us. Maybe point them to our podcast at the Land and the book org. Second thing you could do is if you listen to this broadcast over the air, thank the management at the station for giving air time to our program. A quick email, a postcard or just a letter or just all really appreciated. Thank you for doing that. And on behalf of Charlie Dyer, our host, our producer, Dan Anderson, I'm John Geiger, inviting you back next week for another edition of The Land and the book, a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.