S1: Hi friend, thank you so much for downloading this podcast and I truly hope you hear something that edifies encourage, equips, enlightens, and then gets you out there in the marketplace of ideas. But before you go, I want to tell you about this month's truth tool. It's called Have You Ever Wondered? And I absolutely love this topic because if you're like me, going out into the night sky and looking up and seeing a million stars, don't you just stop and think about God? And are you not in a moment of awe and wonder or looking out over the vast expanse of an ocean and you start thinking, what is man, that thou art mindful of him? And it makes you wonder about the magnificence of God? I think that sense of wonder was put there on purpose, and this wonderful book includes a composite of multiple authors who have written from their perspective as a scientist, or a historian, or a mathematician or an artist, on why they all have this sense of awe through the work that they do. In other words, the heavens declare the glory. And as it tells us in Romans, we are really without excuse because his handiwork is everywhere. And this book invites you to walk through the chapters written by people who all have a sense of awe and wonder when it comes to God through their various disciplines in life. It's an amazing book and it's yours. For a gift of any amount, just call 877 Janet 58. That's 877 Janet 58. Ask for a copy of Have You Ever Wondered? And we'll send it right off to you as my way of saying thank you, because we are listener supported radio. Or you can go online to in the market with Janet Parshall. When you're also on the website, consider becoming a partial partner. Those are people who give every single month at a level of their own choosing. You always get the truth tool, but in addition to that, you get a weekly newsletter that includes my writing and an audio piece just for my partial partners. So 877 Janet 58 or the website in the market with Janet Parshall. Consider becoming a partial partner or asking for this month's truth tool. Have you ever wondered? And now please enjoy the broadcast.
S2: Here are some of the news headlines we're watching.
S3: The conference was over. The president won one of.
S4: The Americans worshiping government over God.
S1: Extremely rare safety move by a mage 17 years.
S4: The Palestinians and the Israelis negotiated a.
S1: Truce. Hi, friends. Welcome to In the Market with Janet Parshall. Very happy Friday to you. I noted last hour. I think it's only fair to do it again this hour. This is the official first day of summer. Congratulations. You made it. It's also, by the way, the longest day of the year. It has something to do with the sunshine out there, so it's probably perfect timing as you go into a weekend. We're thrilled you're going to spend the hour with us. Craig Parshall is with me. On Fridays. We take out our glasses, put them on. It's the lens of Scripture, and take a look at the world around us and we'll see things. Fair warning a bit differently, because we do look at things through the lens of scripture. We get lots to talk about this hour. We're going to do a little I conversation very often on Fridays. Craig and I will dive into this topic because there's so much happening there. It's not the future, it is the here and now. There was a report in one of the alphabet soup networks this week about some of the dangers of AI. Here is ABC's take. Have a listen.
S5: This morning Geoffrey Hinton, the so-called godfather of AI, has a new warning about the technology he helped create.
S6: I often say 10 to 20% chance they'll wipe us out.
S5: In a new interview with podcast host Steven Bartlett, Hinton, a Nobel Prize winning computer scientist, says superintelligent machines could one day decide humans are no longer needed.
S6: It's smarter than us, right? There's no way we're going to prevent it getting rid of us if it wants to. If you want to know what life's like when you're not the apex intelligence, ask a chicken.
S5: Hinton, also warning of the many threats artificial intelligence poses right now, including massive cyber attacks, bioengineered viruses, lethal autonomous weapons and mass unemployment.
S6: If I was someone like a legal assistant, a paralegal, they're not going to be needed for very long for mundane intellectual labor. AI is just going to replace everybody.
S5: His advice for safer path.
S6: I'd say it's going to be a long time before it's as good at physical manipulation as us. Okay. And so a good bet would be to be a plumber still.
S5: Hinton believes there's hope, saying despite the risks, AI holds immense promise.
S6: It's going to be magnificent in healthcare and education, and more or less any industry that needs to use its data. It's going to be able to use it better with AI.
S5: But he warns the window to make sure AI is safe is closing fast.
S6: We have to face the possibility that unless we do something soon, we're near the end.
S5: Hinton predicts. AI will become better than people at most tasks in the next 10 to 20 years.
S1: What a way to start a Friday. Thanks, Janet. Well, Mr. Hinton, the godfather of AI, said that there's going to be some issues. Well, let me bring this home. Okay. I'm not sure of the rise of the machine is going to happen this weekend. But let me tell you what is going to happen. And it's been one of my stated concerns all along. I'm all for human flourishing. It's a biblical principle, and I want to see my fellow man have the opportunity to put bread on his table and to look well to the ways of his household. Well, you get this now from Amazon, the CEO. There is a fellow by the name of Andy Jassy, and he said that generative AI is changing the company's workflow. He said that in addition to efficiency gains, he expects that I could mean that white collar jobs are going to be cut. It's unclear exactly how widespread the reduction in force could be or when it will happen. And so he had a very blunt message saying it's going to reduce the company's workflow for the next few years. And he said this, and I'm quoting him as we roll out more generative AI and agents, it should change the way our work is done. We will need fewer people doing some of the jobs that are being done today, and more people doing other types of jobs. It's hard to know exactly where this nets out over time, but in the next few years, we expect that this will reduce our total corporate workforce as we get efficiency gains from using AI extensively across the company. Right now, Amazon currently employs about 1.5 million workers, according to its website, and it's kind of unclear how many employees or in which sectors that would be affected by AI driven jobs. Now, this just underscores something, Craig, that I had said long ago, that I'm not applauding the fact that AI is going to come in. I mean, the idea of having a receptionist be a robot just absolutely amazes me why anyone would think that that was a step up rather than a step backwards. And now you're going to take people away from a job that is going to be. And no job is menial if it puts bread on your table. So people are going to say, well, you took my job away and you gave it to a robot instead. I mean, it might be great for the bottom line for the corporation, and I'm sure that Amazon, who I hear is not really struggling with money, uh, is going to put robots in place. So they throw human beings on the ash heap of history and say, bring in the machines instead. I have a problem with this morally and ethically.
S7: Yeah. There's a new phrase now that I've been reading, as I've been following, uh, the AI regulation proposals, both here at home and abroad and the global community, meaning all of the nation states that are technologically advanced are dealing with. What do we do with this? Because it's racing out of control in terms of innovation being way ahead of regulation. Um, and really, there are scant regulations right now, but a lot of proposals, the phrase is digital sovereignty. In other words, you know what national sovereignty means? It means human governments, uh, having sovereign rights and authority over its land, its borders, its people, and the way in which it governs. And that's an element that's been recognized for millennia. Well, digital sovereignty means that we are allowing to digital computers and digital processes and programs to make decisions that are sovereign, meaning final, authoritative and controlling. Uh, and that's a problem. Now, the speed at which AI is being developed is subject to some limitations. Not many, but some. Number one, it's limitations of energy because these AI systems use such huge amounts of energy, uh, to develop these, uh, that now the hunt is on for sources of energy that can fuel the continuing education, as they call it, machine learning for these AI systems to become not self-aware, because I believe awareness is something that God has given to humankind, rather its ability to master more data and let's just call it what it is. It's a machine that we feed with data, and then it spits out some kind of result based on how it's been coded by human beings, hopefully to solve problems. But the speed at which it's being taught could take over large amounts of our economy, large amounts of our work population. So who's going to put the brakes on and when are they going to do it right?
S1: And the love of money is the root of all evil. I'm not putting it down. I'm a great believer in the free market. I take the capitalist system over any other system on planet Earth right now. But again, when you're going to take a man and replace him with a machine, there's an ethical component to that, not strictly a financial one who's going to make sure that that ethic reigns supreme? By the way, you want to know what sovereignty is? It's the name of the horse that won the Kentucky Derby and the Belmont. Back after this. The questions that matter most often come while watching a sunset, or listening to music, or looking into the night sky. That's why I've chosen. Have you ever wondered, as this month's truth tool? God draws us to himself through a sense of awe and wonder, and this book will help you discover how. As for your copy of have you ever wondered when you give a gift of any amount in the market, call 87758. That's 877 58 or go to. In the market with Janet Parshall. So glad you're joining us on this hour's edition of In the Market with Janet Parshall. So we were just talking in fact, you've heard the ABC story about Mr.. Um, Hinton, who is deemed to be the Godfather, the creator of AI, and he's got some serious concerns and he doesn't use this phrase, but I think we understand it in common parlance, culturally, is that he's concerned about the rise of the machine, in other words, that I will get smarter than human beings, and we're going to build them so that they're smarter than us, by the way. Well, I don't know if that's going to happen or not, but there are several more prescient concerns as far as I'm concerned. Like what Amazon just said, where they're going to be losing all kinds of jobs. And Amazon's not the only company, by the way, in America. A lot of companies are saying, we're going to replace you as the human being with a machine. And you know what? Then they don't have to pay employee tax. They don't have to provide benefits. They don't have to do a 401 K. You don't get time off for being sick. And it's all about the bottom line. This is what happens when, as a culture, you step away from seeing the image of God in your fellow man. It is all so much more than the pro-life movement. So I get it. If you're Mr. Corporate right, and you want to make sure that you just bring in as much money as possible and that your outlay is a whole lot less than your income, then you're going to replace it with machines. And when you're a mega company like Amazon, you've got the the bucks to be able to do it. And in so doing, you're going to have all kinds of people going to lose their jobs. You also heard Mr. Hinton say, you know, I feel sorry for paralegals, for example, we're going to get them to do their research by using ChatGPT and, um, all of these other kinds of programs that are out there. Well, I got news for you. There's a new report. I just love it. In fact, there's a study that was done that basically said using AI makes you stupid. Okay, I'm not surprised about any of this at all. Artificial intelligence chat box. Apparently risk making people less intelligent by hampering the development of critical thinking. Something we have set up in this program. Memory and language skills is all according to the research that they found. So it was done by none other than MIT. Okay, no slouch organization when it comes to tech Massachusetts Institute of Technology. And they found that people who relied on ChatGPT to write essays had lower brain activity. This is so not rocket science than those who use their brain alone. You think the group who used AI also performed worse than the brain. Only participants in a series of tests. Those who had used AI also struggled when asked to perform tasks without it. Reliance. This is what the paper said. Reliance on AI systems can lead to a passive approach and a diminished activation of critical thinking skills when the person later performs tasks alone. Researchers also warned the findings raise concerns about long term educational implications of using AI, both in schools and in the workplace. It adds to a growing number of work that suggests people's brains switch off when they use A.I.. So this is just and there's so much about this that just goes on and on and on. So it's MIT again, who's immersed in the world of technology and their research says, you're dumbing down. I said this to you, Craig, in the multiple conversations we've had about AI is that I think believe, number one, it stifles creativity. Number two, I've said this as well. I think it's cheating. I think it's cheating when a pastor uses AI to write their sermon or a law, a lawyer uses it to write their brief for their case, or a student uses it to write their term paper. You didn't do the thinking. Some programmer behind a screen somewhere put the zeros and ones into a machine, and the machine spit it out. You know, it's when you and I went to school. Yes, we're going to date ourselves. You could go to the bookstore at college, and if you didn't want to read the novel for your English Lit class, you could buy, quote, CliffsNotes. I can even remember the colors yellow and black at the cover of these books. And they were quick synopses of whatever the book was that you were supposed to read. So rather than reading the 258 pages of the book you were assigned to read for that semester, you went to the CliffsNotes. Who did the thinking for you? My world. This is the Cliff's Notes in modern technology. AI is giving you your cheat sheet. It comes as zero surprise to me that this is dumbing down. And by the way, the last time I checked, I don't think America suffers from too much critical thinking. That's why in this program we say we're going to teach you how to think critically and biblically.
S7: Yeah. When I went through the shadow of the valley of the Shadow of Death in three years in law school, um, we we knew where we could go if somebody wanted to get what we called a canned brief, uh, of the next day's readings of cases. And by the way, um, we had a whole lot of cases that we had to read, and then we would sit there and wait for the professor to call our name. You stand up and you recite the facts properly, analysis properly, and then he will go into the Socratic method and go Q&A with you until you're thoroughly embarrassed by what you forgot about the case. But there were those who said, well, they know how to get a canned brief that some, uh, former law student supposedly summarized the cases for you on 2 or 3 paragraphs. That's all you need to know rather than read a 20 or 25 page complicated case, and then turn to the next case and then have another 25 cases to read until 2:00 in the morning. Let's just use a canned brief. Well, I have to tell you, that's a poor way to study the law, and it's a good way to flunk out of law school. By the way, um, and as you pointed out, there are all kinds of little cheap tricks that supposedly will make life easier for students of whatever educational tier they're in, uh, to quicker and more easily and with less sweat equity to be able to learn what they're supposed to learn. But that's not true. It's the sweat equity of getting into information and finding out how to think. Education is really, uh, as my grandfather told me. And he was a accounting professor, by the way, I didn't inherit those kind of math skills or accounting skills. Believe you, me and my wife knows this. Um, but he said education is the process of learning how to learn, not learning what to learn. And so the process of learning is the critical thinking that you and I talk about on this program. And for followers of Christ, whether it's discerning what the Bible has to say in context rather than out of context or matching what the world is saying with what the Word of God has to say, or reading the newspapers and figuring out what's happening in your government. Government is a gift from God, particularly a constitutional republic. You ought to know how it's being run and who's running it, and whether you agree with the policies or not. All of that requires a little bit of digging, a little bit of education, a little bit of sweat equity, but I think it's worth it.
S1: Yeah. I couldn't agree more. I think there's a reason. One of the first verses you memorize in Awana, right? Study to show yourself approved unto God.
S7: John 119. That great chapter.
S1: Doesn't say use ChatGPT. We've got more to talk about. This is in the market with Janet Parshall. Craig partial is with me. We're going to turn the page another topic and keep those thinking caps on, will you? Biblically, critically. That's how we work back after this. So let's move to the FCC, the Federal Communications Commission. An interesting story. The FCC chair, a fellow by the name of Brandon Carr, is moving to reform broadcast rules. And what he wants to do is constrain big media, curtail Big Tech, and boost local journalism. This is a great segue out of I, by the way, because remember, a lot of the tech stuff comes is fostering these forms of artificial intelligence that are dumbing us down as we go along. So, Craig, why does he want to do this and explain they're going to issue something called a pen. It's called a public notice. Uh, and it is giving the The opportunity for people to weigh in on this particular topic. This is, you know, and I'm glad people are hearing this because the government doesn't work in isolation. There are points where the public is allowed to weigh in. The problem is, if you don't know, you don't weigh in, or you don't know that this opportunity for your expression in self-governance is allowed. So I think this is really a great idea. And they just issued this, and it's going to give the opportunity for the agency, the FCC, to get comments on reforming the national broadcast television ownership cap. That's a mouthful. But I give you George Soros as an example. So go ahead and talk to me about this.
S7: Yeah. First of all, I'm a great admirer of Brandon Carr, who had a chance to to meet with him when he was being proposed as a commissioner. Now the FCC has five commissioners, but one is the chair of the of the FCC. So you got four others, and, uh, two are appointed by the Republicans and two by the Democrats. And then the, uh, the chair of the FCC is appointed by the president. So elections have a lot to do with that. Obviously, when a president comes in, he or she will nominate a person. And in this case, when President Trump was elected, Brandon Carr, who was already then had served as a regular commissioner among the four, was elevated and appointed um, as uh, as the chair of the FCC. Now, here's why I think this makes a lot of sense. Let me just boil it down. Uh, the Federal Communications Commission, uh, is created by Congress and created, uh, 100 years ago, basically when radio was first the, uh, the brand new thing for information and then the television became the newest communication thing. But radio, television, to some extent, telephone, uh, regulations, uh, and very limited, uh, ability to regulate what goes on in terms of satellite communications through the internet. But communications is their business to make sure that America's communication systems work efficiently and fairly. Because after all, information I call information the intellectual infrastructure for everything that happens in our nation and in our lives and in our families. Information is key. So the free flow of information has to be kept open. We don't want a few entities, whether it's government or private big tech companies, to control what I like to call the choke, the choke point of information. In other words, be able to, with a flick of a switch, turn off a certain avenue of information so we can't get all avenues of information. Why is it important? Because it helps us know what's happening in our government. When we don't like it. We can tell our legislators exactly what we believe. When elections come, we want to know what the positions are of the people who are elected and if there's only a few mouthpieces of information, then we may not get the full facts about what's out there for us to vote. So, uh, open, diverse, uh, multiple channels of information is what the FCC wants to achieve. And big tech for some time now. And I say big tech. I mean companies like meta, which used to be called Facebook, Google, uh, and uh, just 2 or 3 others, Amazon, Microsoft are really controlling the vast majority of what we can see online. And most people are now turning to online sources like what's on our iPhone or what's on our laptop to get information, uh, to find out what the weather is, uh, to check on political candidates, uh, to get our news and information in addition to radio and television. So the FCC is saying and by the way, this is an old story. Um, um, I think it was probably about 15 years ago. Uh, I had the privilege of testifying in front of the FCC when they were saying, we need an investigation into a proceeding on the impact of the internet on Americans opportunity to have a full, unfettered media. And the internet was challenging a traditional radio and television. By the way, I am a believer in radio. I don't think it's going anywhere soon. And the death of radio has been, you know, predicted, uh, decade after decade after decade. It is radio is here to stay. And I believe so is television, although television has been merged into internet platforms. So the point is this FCC is saying, are we allowing some big tech companies, a handful of them, to really have oversized, uh, input into, uh, what we read and what we see and where we get our news, as opposed to traditional media like radio and television, newspapers and so forth. And so this investigation, I think, is a renewed effort to make sure that we have a multiplicity of avenues of information, not a centralized hub of a couple of Silicon Valley companies calling the shots on what we can read.
S1: So second quick FCC story, Craig. And that is apparently the FCC wants to review a policy that was under the Biden administration and it had to do with cybersecurity programs. And they're launching an investigation to ensure alleged, quote, deep ties to China don't threaten or undermine national security. What's this all.
S7: About? Well, during the Biden administration, a private entity was kind of appointed as the company that would set standards, uh, to evaluate cybersecurity of federal agencies. Oh, that sounds okay. That's what government does. Except the entity, the business entity, the experts, so-called who would be developing the standards to determine cybersecurity of federal agencies and the federal government had deep connections to China and China. In case you haven't noticed, it is not our friend.
S1: That's exactly right. All right, we've got more. In fact, there's a pretty good segue coming up here from China to Israel. We're going to talk about that when we get back. This is in the market with Janet Parshall. Craig Parshall is with me. If you don't yet have a copy of Have You Wondered? It's yours for a gift of any amount. A577 Janet, 58, or online at In the Market with Janet Parshall. Jesus told us to go into the world and not run away from it, and he didn't say it would be easy. In the market with Janet Parshall is a program designed to come alongside and walk with you into the marketplace of ideas. Partial partners are those friends who support our program on a regular monthly basis. They know the mandate of influencing and occupying until he comes. So why don't you become part of the inner circle of support? Call 877 Janet 58 or go to in the market with Janet Parshall. Well, I don't know about you, but I think this is one of the most interesting and exciting times to be a follower of Jesus. And if you are going through life with the Bible in one hand and the newspaper in the other, boy, I tell you what, you are beginning to see some pretty interesting things happen. Now look, let's just lay out the facts, okay? Jesus is coming again. I don't know when he's every promise he's ever made. He's kept. So I'm pretty sure he's going to absolutely keep his word on this one as well. And the Bible says there's no warning. It just boom. It happens in an instant. No man knows the hour or the day. Not even the son. Only the father knows he's going to come like a thief in the night, the scripture says, but because God loves us, he tells us to start looking for some of the signs. Like a woman in labor right before the baby's born. There's these labor pains. So the Bible lays out with clarity some of the things that are going to happen. And one of the things, of course, is that we watch the nation of Israel because the Bible tells us that before he returns, there's going to be a whole lot of stuff happening. Remember that after the rapture, the rapture, the tribulation begins. And what happens? There's three and a half years of false peace with Israel. Well, thinking people have finally figured out that if there's a false peace, there has to be a war that precedes what's going on with Israel. Because otherwise, why would you have a false peace? So it suggests that there might be some kind of a treaty that's made, but it'll be false and it won't last for long. And we could go on and on and on. But let me just stop right there on the eschatological timeline for a little bit. So when you see what's happening, when the nations rise against Israel, when Iran makes the declaration that they're going to annihilate the little Satan, and the United States being the Great Satan. By the way, yesterday in the news was, now we know that China is backdooring with Iran a little bit. Wow. Well, remember, China hates the United States. We are the biggest encumbrance to their global hegemony. So naturally they're partnering with Iran. Makes sense. Russia is a little bit occupied right now with Ukraine. So they're not going to be Johnny on the spot. But that doesn't stop China from providing who knows what, including Chinese ships in the area that some are saying are offering Intel to what's going on with the rent, I don't know. It's absolutely fascinating just from a geopolitical perspective. But it also is interesting when you start looking at it from a spiritual perspective. Something is happening in the nation of Iran. The people are crying out for regime change. I don't care what the talking heads in Washington have to say. I believe what the Iranian people are saying, and I trust sources like Thomas Harriot who said that the people have had it. Muslim Islam hasn't answered their questions. They're tired of the ayatollahs. They're tired of the boot of theocracy on their neck. They want something different. They've tried Islam. It didn't work. A lot of them moved to atheism that left them empty headed and empty hearted. And now so many in record numbers, the fastest growing number of evangelicals in the world is happening in the country of Iran. That's a headline, whether CNN appreciates it or not. And you also understand when you pick this verse that talks about a lion rising, it's about this is what Netanyahu from the Book of Numbers chose this as what this particular operation is called. Well, the lion is also on Iran's flag as well. So I don't know all that's happening. I just know that something is happening. And so for a lot of us who are believers in Christ, we sit, we watch, we wait. We don't know, but we are paying attention. And that's exactly what the scriptures told us to do, which is to pay attention. Well, you knew this had to happen sooner or later. And I'm actually thrilled it did, because boy, does it give us something to talk about in the marketplace of ideas. So there's this woman by the name of Jennifer Welch. She's the co-host of a podcast called I've Had It. She gets on CNN. And without further ado, you're going to we're going to talk about it. But I just want you to hear what she had to say. Have a listen.
S8: Speaker of the House Mike Johnson. He's a rapture prepper. This guy is waiting for the rapture, just like Ted Cruz is. So you have this whole sect of MAGA that they support Israel because they want the Jews to be in Israel so that Jesus can come back for the rapture. And that's a very real thing that's in Congress. And that's not not foreign policy. That's magical thinking.
S9: So, Alex, what do you think about this? I mean, I.
S10: Support Israel for religious purposes, but I also don't believe the United States should be in a prolonged conflict. There are a lot of Christians in this country who support Israel who would say, let's be judicious. I understand that, but the point I'm making is that shouldn't be a lot of policy. But but a lot of people can separate their religious views from foreign policy decisions. And so I wouldn't, you know, castigate a negative against people who have religious views.
S1: Now, thank goodness for the clear thinking individual who said that and said, I support Israel for religious reasons. You know, the idea. I don't know where I come from. You can walk and chew gum at the same time. These this, this woman who was rude and kept interrupting and now gave me a term I'm never going to get. I am, yes, unembarrassed without any hesitation I Janet partial m a rapture prepper. I am always going to be a rapture prepper and you know how you prepare. You invite Jesus Christ into your heart as Lord and Savior. Boom! That's it. You are prepared if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God has raised him from the dead whenever that moment happens when Jesus comes Harpazo is the word in first Thessalonians. It's the same word that's used when Philip is transported after sharing the gospel with the Ethiopian eunuch. It's a fabulous word, and it just means this, this idea of being moved. Okay, when Jesus comes and takes us up in the air with him, there is going to be no warning whatsoever. So you better be prepared. And I've got a word for you. If you are not a rapture prepper now, then God have mercy on your soul, because the only people who are alive today who will be taken up in the air with him, are those who have made the profession of faith that Jesus is exactly who he said he is the way, the truth, and the life, and no one comes to the father but by him. So what this poor woman does is she tries to conflate the idea of the rapture going. Mike Johnson believes that, yep, he happens to be a born again professing Christian. Ted Cruz believes that, yep, he happens to be a born again professing Christian. If those born again professing brothers don't believe that the rapture is going to come. We're going to have a conversation. But I have to tell you also, this is bad. It's sloppy thinking on her part to say that those Christians want the Jews in Israel. So Jesus will come. Hmm. Not quite. I mean, we saw in 1948 she's a little late that 1948 was the fulfillment of prophecy. When the Jewish state was created in 1948. The Jews are in Israel. For the record, they've been there for thousands and thousands of years. This is the Jewish state. So the statement about they want the Jews back in Israel so that Jesus will come close, but no cigar, as they say.
S7: Now, I normally agree you and I agree on almost everything, but not even not even close, Janet. This is. It's so ludicrous. But I'll tell you. Let's let's put the flashlight on this problem. The reason that's such a ridiculous statement. And by the way, um, at the turn of the century, from the 20th into the 21st century, Entry. You and I remember that, um, there was a lot of talk about an apocalypse coming, and and Israel was sort of on a heightened alert because there had been some suggestions that there might be people who were going to try to hasten some, some, you know, bad prophecies, some bad ideas about prophecy in the Bible. Um, and of course, nothing happened but this idea that just because two things seem to have a correlation means that one is causing the other. You can be a supporter of Israel and not do it because you want to hasten the coming of Christ, by the way.
S1: First of all.
S7: The timing is up to God, not us. Well, there's nothing we can do to hasten to slow. He's God's got it. His own time schedule here.
S1: Yeah. There's nothing that we as mortals can do to hasten his return. Right. So, point number one. Know your Bible. Okay. There's nothing. We're not pulling the levers. We're not. If we do this Abracadabra, we can make God do that. Even Jesus doesn't know. The Bible tells us only the father knows. And there's no sign that has to come before he takes us up in the rapture. There's no other prophecy that needs to be fulfilled.
S7: Which means we're closer now than we were yesterday.
S1: Hence the word imminent, which means we don't know. But boy, it's close. And then if you look at some of those birth signs, they're all over the place. So slaying Dragon number one, mortals don't do anything to get God to make his return of his son anytime soon, right?
S7: But when Christians support Israel, it doesn't mean that the Christians are saying the more we support Israel and all that it does, the quicker Jesus is going to come. That's first of all, that's that's a secular and delusional idea about what Christians believe. Because if they'd ask us, we'd tell them, no, that's not it. We support Israel because the Jews are who God Chose. And the story is right there in the Bible. We can read it together.
S1: So let's also talk about this. Supporting the nation of Israel doesn't have to mean I support everything they do politically. I love you dearly. I don't support everything that you do, okay? You don't support everything that I do. I love the nation of Israel. Do you know that Tel Aviv is one of the number one gay spots in the globe to go visit? That breaks my heart. I'm sure it breaks God's heart too as well. There are decisions that have been handed down by the Supreme Court in Israel that I would disagree with, so I don't have to support every governing decision in the current moment that they are making. Now, can I draw a distinction between the nation of Israel and the Jewish people? No. The Zionist state is the Jewish state. It's made up of Jewish people. Can I love the Jewish people 100%? Do I have to agree with all of the decisions that are made by their government? Absolutely not. But apparently there's this idea out there that again, Christians must be poor, uneducated and easy to command. Even though we just talked last hour that the man with the highest IQ in the world, 276in into quantum physics has just come to know Christ as his personal Saviour. So apparently not all Christians are dumb. But apparently this promulgation of the idea of stupidity is. Well, you have when you say that you support the nation of Israel, it means that you're blindly supporting every political decision that we're.
S7: Being forced into a binary choice. Either accept everything about Israel and you're doing it for the wrong reason because you want to hasten Jesus coming, or you should oppose everything Israel seems to be doing. And it's inconsistent. And regardless of where you are biblically, the idea of supporting Israel for a Christian is different than someone who doesn't follow Christ. Now, by the way, there are geopolitical and political reasons. As an American, why, even if you don't follow Christ as your Savior. As a matter of faith, it's still smart to support Israel for a whole number of logical reasons, because in a very troubled region. They have been the best friend of the United States of America and vice versa.
S1: Yeah, well, this subject is too rich to leave unfinished. And I want to continue to talk about this. But now we've got a new word in our vocabulary, Rapture Preppers. So I'm going to remember that. And this poor woman conflates this, throws in a little MAGA. I don't know what Donald Trump has to do with the return of Jesus at all under any stretch of the imagination. But her declaration again, this podcast co-host said that Christians believe that if Jews are going to be in Israel, then Jesus can come back. Well, no, sorry, but but she tried to make that a political red herring. And that's what we call a straw man argument. And also being biblically illiterate. So this rapture prepper is going to take a break and we'll be right back after this.
S8: Speaker of the House Mike Johnson. He's a rapture prepper. This guy's waiting for the rapture, just like Ted Cruz Cruz's. So you have this whole sect of MAGA that they support Israel because they want the Jews to be in Israel so that Jesus can come back for the rapture. And that's a very real thing that's in Congress. And that's not not foreign policy. That's magical thinking.
S9: So, Alex, what do you think about this? I mean, yeah, I.
S10: Support Israel for religious purposes, but I also don't believe the United States should be in a prolonged conflict. There are a lot of Christians in this country who support Israel who would say, let's be judicious. I understand that, but the point I'm making is it shouldn't be a lot of policy, but but a lot of people can separate their religious views from foreign policy decisions. And so I wouldn't, you know, castigate a negative against people who have religious views.
S1: That poor woman was in tall cotton and she was just out of her league. But the separation of church and state. How ridiculous.
S7: But the rebuttal, I thought was right on, which is look, I he said, for religious reasons, support Israel. And it doesn't mean that I have to be tied into some kind of eschatology that says, I'm trying to hasten Jesus coming. Um, and I can also separate it from foreign policy issues. Now, I just said a couple of minutes ago, I think there's some very solid, uh, public policy and foreign policy reasons why it's in America's best interests to generally support Israel. That doesn't mean that we support all of those decisions. And when it makes decisions that we disagree with. As a matter of policy, we can articulate that. Um, but, um, as followers of Christ, there's a, you know, the Bible is a theological tome. It's it's God's word to us, but it's also accurate history. And Israel's place in that land is documented in this document called the Bible without Question.
S1: You know, I find this interesting because as as much as she kept throwing these straw man arguments into it, that this shouldn't be in Congress. Listen, everybody who sits all 435 people that sit in Congress, 100in the Senate, 345in the House, all of them have a worldview. Oh, that every one of them was a professing follower of Jesus Christ. And we can pray to that end, because Paul told Timothy we should be praying for those in authority. So she tries to make it a separation of church and state. Like if you hold that particular worldview, you're disqualified and then throws in a Trumpism by calling it it's a Maga thing. Well, I imagine there's all kinds of people who never voted for Donald Trump who believe the exact same thing.
S7: Well, you know, the Constitution has this little phrase in there that says that you cannot it's illegal to apply a religious test.
S1: Yeah, exactly.
S7: So she was trying to put her own imprint on it.
S1: So take the chaos and confusion. And by the way, God is not the author of confusion. Take the confusion of the world. Just push it aside for a minute and let's bring it a little bit closer to home. What I find interesting is that what's happening between Israel and Iran right now is causing an even more robust conversation in the church, and now the Twittersphere is loaded with conversations about whether or not replacement theology is the theology du jour. That's somewhere between Malachi and Matthew. God changed his mind. And Israel, the nation is no longer Israel, the nation in the New Testament that it has been replaced by the church. And I'm watching some pretty fierce debates going back and forth with people who say, wait, it's the same message from Genesis to Revelation. And those who have said, no, it's those dispensationalists that are causing all the problems. Well, I raised my hand. I'm a very happy dispensationalist, thank you very much. And I make no apologies to that in. And that's I see continuity and I see a continuation in the position of God's posture on this. But I'm very I'm going to watch this debate inside the church with great interest. So thankful we talked to people like Doctor Michael Redlich, who can walk us through the scriptures to say there's a preponderance of evidence that God didn't change his mind somewhere along the way, and that Israel, the nation, is not Israel the nation anymore. It now is referring to the church. Your thoughts on this?
S7: Well, Paul had some very straightforward things to say about Israel, the people of Israel and the Israelites, and the idea of the nation of Israel in the book of Romans. And he asked a rhetorical question. And the the answer was obvious has God deserted Israel? And he said, absolutely not. Uh, God has a plan, a providential plan for the people of Israel. Uh, and if you treat the Old Testament as something that can be discarded because the New Testament is the newest thing, then you are exercising a very poor version of theology, because Jesus repeatedly in the New Testament, in the four Gospels, goes back to the Old Testament and authenticates and reaffirms what was said there in the Old Testament. So do the did the apostles Paul, Peter, and others. So, uh, if you don't understand that this is a seamless garment from Genesis to Revelation, then you haven't grasped number one, the Bible as a whole, and what God's Word as a whole says. And number two, you'll miss or you'll mistake what God, what his attitude is about the nation of Israel.
S1: Yeah. Amazing. So how do it raises the question? Thank you, Doctor Francis Schaeffer, for asking it so many years ago, because it's a question still worth asking and an answer still worth pursuing. How then shall we live? What do we do?
S7: Well, first of all, you have to decide how you answer the most important question. Where do I stand with who Jesus Christ is? It's it's simply an interesting historical person that some people believe has something to do with religion. Or have you made a personal decision to look at the claims about Christ and decide where you stand. Was he the Son of God? Was he an insane man? Was he a manipulating minister who was trying to gain a following for political reasons? Who was he? You need to answer that question first. I believe that the Bible makes it very clear. The apostles who were there and saw him and heard him, and saw his miracles, and saw the Old Testament prophecies about him fulfilled in their eyes. They were eyewitnesses. As the New Testament says, in a variety of different ways to who he was as the Son of God. So face that question first, and where you'll find out the answer. If you have any questions, go to the Gospels.
S1: And oh, may God make us quick to hear. You know, when somebody shows up on CNN, which airs in 127 countries internationally and starts talking about the return of Jesus and the rapture, that's such a good thing. Even if she was, if she missed it by a mile. The point is, she started a conversation that creates an open door for us to start asking questions and listening with the ears on our heart, and really engaging in a culture that, do you really believe in this rapture thing? And who is this Jesus? And what does the Bible say about the Jewish people? ET cetera. I mean, you talk about fertile ground. Oh my goodness, there are more.
S7: An open door for conversation, debate, discussion. So let's be praying for those who are listening to these stories about what is this rapture? What is this Israel stuff? What does that have to do with the Bible? Maybe. Maybe they be driven to the Word of God and to who Jesus is. And then may they resolve that by saying, yes, he is the Christ. He was the one, the professed one who was going to come.
S1: God open wide the doors of opportunity for us. Have a great weekend friends. We'll see you next time on In the Market with Janet Parshall.