S1: The following programme was pre-recorded so our phone lines are not open.
S2: In today's world of cryptocurrency, sports betting apps and volatile markets, it's common to hear people suggest that investing is just another form of gambling. Hi, I'm Rob West. While investing in gambling, both involve putting money at risk. They're not the same. Not financially, not morally, and certainly not biblically. That's up first today. And then we'll have some great calls that we've lined up. But since this program is not live today, please hold your calls until we're back in the studio. This is faith in finance. Live. Biblical wisdom for your financial journey. At a surface level, investing in gambling both involve uncertain outcomes, but the nature and purpose of the risk involved couldn't be more different. Investing involves taking thoughtful, calculated risks to support growth, contribute to the economy and provide for the future. Farmers plant seeds without knowing exactly what the harvest will bring. Business owners launch ventures and faith. Ecclesiastes 11 one encourages this kind of forward looking activity. Cast your bread upon the waters, for you will find it after many days. Investing is similar. It's about patience, planning, and trusting God while using resources wisely. It's not a shortcut to wealth, but a long term effort to steward God's provision well. Gambling, however, is a zero sum game. In order for one person to win, others must lose, and the losses are often devastating. Gambling exploits rather than builds, often targeting the financially vulnerable and preying on their desperation. Scripture calls us to seek justice and protect the vulnerable. Learn to do right. Seek justice. Defend the oppressed. That's Isaiah 117. The gambling industry profits by doing the opposite. As Proverbs ten two puts it, ill gotten gains do not profit anyone, but righteousness rescues from death. One of the clearest differences between investing and gambling is the impact each has on the world around us. Wise investing is not only beneficial to the investor, it benefits others too. When you invest in a company, you're helping to fund its operations, fuel innovation, and provide jobs. Investing helps businesses grow, communities flourish, and economies strengthen. It's one way we can participate in the broader work of human flourishing. Faithful investing can be an expression of loving your neighbor. It involves allocating resources to support businesses that provide real goods and services, and it has a ripple effect far beyond your personal return. Like the faithful servants in Jesus parable of the talents, investors aim to multiply what's been entrusted to them for the good of others and the glory of God. Gambling, however, often thrives at the cost of others losses. The system is built on imbalance. One person's gain depends on many others losses. It preys disproportionately on the vulnerable, offering false hope while encouraging addiction, debt, and despair. Isaiah 117 commands learn to do right. Seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Gambling systems do the opposite, profiting off injustice and deepening cycles of poverty. Gambling is often fueled by discontentment, a restless craving for more. A belief that life will finally be better if we just get lucky. It lures us to risk what we have for what we think we need. But the Bible warns us, keep your lives free from the love of money, and be content with what you have, because God has said, never will I leave you. Never will I forsake you. Yet discontentment isn't limited to gamblers. It can poison our investing too. Even legitimate investment decisions can be corrupted by greed, fear, or the desire to keep up with others. We can hoard in the name of saving or obsess over returns as if our security depends on them. That's why Christians must always ask, why am I investing? Am I trusting in God or in my portfolio? This isn't just about money. It's about discipleship. Jesus taught that we cannot serve both God and money in Matthew 624. Gambling often turns money into a God, feeding our anxiety and covetousness rather than cultivating peace and gratitude. When done in faith, investing is an act of trust in God's provision. It acknowledges that we live in a broken world full of uncertainty, but we still move forward wisely, patiently and generously. It says I will use what God has given me to plan for the future, care for others, and grow what he's entrusted to me. When done with the right heart, posture investing can be a part of seeking God's kingdom. It's a tool, not a treasure. But gambling tempts us to seek fortune without faithfulness, to pursue gain without giving, and to trust luck instead of trusting the Lord. Whether we're investing, saving, or giving, may we always remember that true security is not found in earthly returns, but in the eternal riches of Christ. I hope that's an encouragement to you today. I'm Rob West and this is Faith and finance live. We'll be right back.
S3: You're listening to Faith and finance live. This program is prerecorded, so we're not available to answer your calls, but you can email us your questions at at Philly.com.
S2: Hey, before we head to the phones, I want to answer one of your emails. By the way, we receive these emails all the time at and ask Rob at Faith Philly.com. Feel free to send your question along to be read on the air. Again, ask rob@faith.com. That's faith fi.com. This one comes to us from Christie. She writes hi Rob, I love listening to your show. I'm in my 20s and I'm saving up for a house. I'm not sure about the best way to invest my current savings. Should I buy a CD or invest in the stock market? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks so much. You know, I think Christie, the key here is your time horizon. So if you're planning on buying this house, let's say in less than five years, then I don't want you investing in the stock market. We really need a five plus year time horizon. So I love that you're saving. And I realize it may take some time, but you're likely going to want to save that in a high yield savings account. If you have some money already put aside, you could lock it up in a 15 or 18 month CD and get a little bit more interest. But you don't want to invest it because the key is to have that money available when you're ready to make the purchase. The problem with investing in the stock market is those stocks may be down. At the time. We just don't know what would be going on at that moment. And you may have to sell them at a loss. By the way, make your savings target 20% for a down payment at a minimum. And then let's make sure that mortgage payment, including taxes and insurance, is no more than 25% of your take home pay. That's going to ensure that you have enough left for everything else. But you can do this. Stay at it, save diligently, and you will be ready to make that purchase in no time. And again, don't buy too much house even though these prices are still pretty high. Uh, let's see in the news. In light of so many scams affecting seniors today. Uh, one of which continues to be a problem among seniors. And it's the Medicare marketing misrepresentation. I know it's a long name. Let me explain. A caller usually claims to be from Medicare and offers expanded benefits by answering a few questions and giving consent. However, behind that friendly quote, Medicare employee is actually an insurance agent looking to make a sale. Now, this, of course, violates Medicare rules, but it unfortunately happens more often than it should. A 2022 Senate Finance Committee report revealed that frequent instances of agents was occurring, and they were changing seniors health plans without their informed consent. While Medicare is a federal program, brokers and agents help seniors navigate the complex enrollment process. However, since they aren't compensated for each person they enroll, some may be tempted to put profits over the best interests of seniors, and these brokers are subject to oversight. But violations do occur and the consequences can be significant. Seniors often don't realize what's happening until weeks later, when they find themselves facing higher costs or having to switch doctors and facilities. So it's important to know that Medicare employees never make unsolicited calls to seniors about their benefits. Likewise, brokers and agents are not allowed to make unsolicited calls or leave flyers at home unless they've requested an appointment. So if you're unsure about a call, hang up and reach out to Medicare directly. If you think you or a loved one has been a victim of misrepresentation, just contact your state's senior Medicare patrol to report the fraud. That's a national resource center that provides valuable resources to help protect you and your loved ones from deceptive practices. Medicare is, of course, a lifeline for millions of seniors, but the system can be confusing, so be cautious. Ask questions. Never give out personal information over the phone to someone you don't know. You know what? By staying vigilant, you can protect yourself from fraud and ensure you get the coverage that's right for you. Listen, this is going to come in all shapes and sizes. So it could come by email. It could come by a phone call. It could be somebody saying they're from the IRS or somebody that says you won sweepstakes. I mean, it could be any, you know, type of scam. The key is it always comes down to don't give information over the computer, over the phone to people that contact you if they're legitimate. They shouldn't be asking for that unless you requested the information. Uh, so hang up. Call someone directly. Uh, find the direct channel to contact that vendor that they claim they're from. And don't respond to somebody who's reaching out to you, no matter what form of communication it is. So hopefully that's helpful to you today. I know this is increasingly becoming difficult for folks, especially seniors, who can get confused about these things, especially when technology is involved. So if that's you, just be vigilant. And if you have somebody in your life who needs you to walk alongside them, just keep them up to date on the latest scams so they can spot these sooner rather than later. All right, let's dive into those phone calls. Let's begin in Florida today. And we'll welcome Joshua to the broadcast. Go ahead.
S4: Yes. Thank you for taking my call. Um, I have this question because I have a 403 B, uh, in an organization which is not increasing that much. And I was mentioned to do a, an annuity. Um, and I was going to transfer $25,000 to that, but it's going to be locked for ten years. So, um, I have concern with that because if I have an emergency, it will be an issue. But the other thing is there are some fees. I don't know if they're going to be charging some fees, monthly fee on that based on the, on And that, uh, contract. So I don't know if this will be the right move for me to do that. Or if there's another way that I can, uh, do it. Financial stability.
S2: It's a great question, Joshua, and I'm delighted to hear that you are thinking about the future. Putting something aside on a systematic basis is the very best way to build wealth. So you have something alongside Social Security, assuming you paid into the system FICA taxes long enough to qualify for Social Security, that's never intended to cover more than 35 to 40% of your pre-retirement income. So having something else that you can use to convert to an income stream throughout the rest of your life, no matter what God calls you to in that season, is critical, and you're your most powerful wealth building tool. Is your income today, so long as you live below your means and you have a surplus to put aside, and putting that into a tax deferred environment like a 403 B is a great option. now in terms of the money that's already in there. If this is a 403 be set up by your employer, your church, and you're still employed, you're not going to be able to move it out of there. But is that the case? You're still with the church that's set up the 403 B that you're participating in, is that right?
S4: No. I'm retired.
S2: Oh you're retired.
S4: Yeah. Just to have that for if anything happened, my kids can handle my situation with my wife because it will be my wife at $25,000 and myself $25,000. And I'm going to have a $15,000 in a savings account for six months. Secure. So. But I want something to grow with the $25,000 that I have because it's not growing. Not much right now. I see.
S2: That. I see. Very good. So are you living on Social Security alone? Is that enough to cover your bills?
S4: So far, God has been faithful. And yes, I have covered.
S2: Okay. Very good. Yeah. You've got a couple of options here. I mean, my preference would be because this is in a 403 B, you don't need to worry about the tax consequences. You would roll it to an IRA. And at that point you've got probably got three options in terms of how to invest it. And this would be my preference over an annuity because of the reasons you mentioned less returns, higher costs, less access to the money. One would be, um, a robo advisor like the Schwab Intelligent Portfolios. The other would be, um, some of the faith based investing mutual funds. And a third would be sound mind investing. Org. Let's do this. I'll unpack each of those after the break. Stay right there. Just a quick reminder. We're not here today, so don't call in. But we're going to head to a break and much more coming just after this. Stay with us. Great to have you with us today on faith and finance live. By the way, we're not live today. We're away from the studio, so don't call in. But we have some great questions that we lined up in advance. By the way, this ministry is entirely listener supported. That means we rely on your financial gifts and support to do what we do on the air every day. If you consider a gift, we'd certainly be grateful. Just head to our website, faith five. That's Faith 5.com and click the give button. Thanks in advance. All right, let's head back to the phones now. Before the break, we were talking to Joshua. He's retired as a pastor as 25,000. That was in a 403 B. He doesn't need it. By God's grace, he's been able to live modestly on Social Security alone. He's wanting to get it out of the 403 B and perhaps see it grow a little bit more effectively. Someone had suggested an annuity. He had some caution around it. I agreed in that, you know, the downside of an annuity is, uh, you're adding complexity. There's additional fees, you lose access to the money, in part because if you want to get to it, you're going to have surrender penalties beyond a certain percentage each year. And often you're sacrificing return potential. The upside is you can transfer the risk to the insurance company. So some folks say, listen, above all else, I just want to know that I can have a guaranteed return, and I'm willing to give up some other things for that. And that's where an annuity can make sense in this situation. So what I'd recommend, Joshua, is that you roll it out to an IRA that's not a taxable event, but then you have to decide how it's going to be invested. And I think you've got a few options there. There's some wonderful mutual fund families that are faith aligned. So they would exclude companies that are misaligned with your Christian values. They'd seek out other companies that not only have a compelling value to shareholders to, you know, provide risk adjusted returns for the for the mutual fund, but also they're promoting human flourishing. And it could be a great option for you. You probably have heard about Timothy. Plan a wonderful fun family Eventide one ascent Guidestone so many others that are just doing incredible work. If you wanted a list of those mutual funds that you could invest in, if you rolled the 403 B to an IRA at, let's say, Fidelity or Schwab, they would all allow you to have access to these fund families. You could download a list of them at Faith and investing. That's faith and investing. Uh, the other option is you could check out our friends at Sound Mind Investing org, and they could help you make the investment selections. The third option is you could use what's called a robo advisor. And I would probably recommend the Schwab Intelligent Portfolios. You'd open an IRA at Schwab, you'd roll the 403 B over to it, and then you'd invest it in the Schwab Intelligent Portfolios. And basically you'd answer a series of questions about your age and your goals and your risk tolerance. And then the algorithm would build a very low cost, but very high quality portfolio that just captures the broad moves of largely the bond market because you're in a retirement season, but with some smaller allocation to stocks. But again, not picking individual stocks, just using the big indexes. So you'd get the broad moves of the stock and bond market, but it's very cost effective. Um, so all three of those I think could be compelling options for you to explore. Is that helpful though?
S4: Yes it is. It is because we're it's been a while that we are trying to sign the contract, but I have a concern with that.
S2: So yeah. Well, this would give you a lot more flexibility over being able to access the money, invest it the way you want to and have a lot more control over the fees as well. And so I think perhaps, you know, your discernment that this is not the right direction is something you ought to pay attention to. And listen, if down the road you decide you want to put into an annuity, you'd always have that option. But once you sign this contract, you're going to be kind of stuck there for the time being. So hey, thanks for your call today. All the best to you, sir. Uh, let's see, we started today by talking about scams, particularly scams that are taking place with regard to Medicare marketing misrepresentation, where insurance agents are calling and claim to be from Medicare offering expanded benefits, but ultimately their insurance agents looking to make a sale. Certainly not all insurance agents by any means are unscrupulous. Not saying that at all. I'm just saying this is a more common practice that we're seeing, and it really is unethical the way it's going down. But just I think that's a good warning. That's more general in nature to the rise in scams, especially those that are connected to the IRS and Medicare as it relates to seniors. Maggie in Texas, I understand you have an experience with this. Go right ahead.
S5: Yes. Yes, sir. I am just had a little bit different version of the sales pitch, I'm pretty sure. And I kind of felt pressured, and I kind of figured that's what it was. But, um, just the other day, I was sitting in McDonald's, um, and I think I was actually eating something or drinking coffee, I don't know, early morning. And a lady came. There were other tables around, nicely dressed, and she asked if she could sit at my table. And I said, sure, you know. And I thought, oh, this is another person the Lord is bringing for me to share that Jesus is coming soon. Yeah, sure. You know, be ready. Meaning be ready, um, soon. Meaning when it starts to happen, you better be ready. Um, the Lord kind of gave me a ministry. And so she sat there and she. When she saw that I wasn't really interested in opening the table up for conversation, She pulled her computer out and I asked her, are you from from here? And she said, no, she's from was from Fort Worth. Her card said, but anyway, this she says under her name and I won't give the name of, uh, herself or the company, but underneath her name it says insurance broker. And then at the bottom, in smaller letters, Medicare plans, comma, cancer and hospital plans, comma annuities, life, health, dental, vision. And when I when she asked me I said, well I have a plan. I'm I'm okay with I don't think I'm going to get anything better. And I told her the name of the company, you know, and that it was an advantage plan. And she said, oh, well, I could get you a better version. And she was really interested in talking about that, but I felt pressured, and I have good reason. I have a ton of things. In fact, I have so many questions. I have enough to keep your line busy for weeks. But a lot of it, a lot of it I can do on my own. I need to do some sorting and list listing and prioritizing, but I have so much to do. I feel like I'm drowning sometimes with trying to get my own, my own. But I felt pressured. And, you know, I think that I think I think I'm answering my own question is that if you feel a little bit pressured, that's probably the Holy Spirit saying.
S2: I think you're exactly right. I hate to cut you off. I've got to hit a hard break, but we'll be right back. So glad to have you with us today on Faith and Finance Live. I'm Rob West. Quick email before we head back to the phones. This one comes to us from Emily. By the way, if you have a question you'd like, read on the air. We'd love to hear from you. Send it along to ask Rob at Faith Philly.com. That's ask Rob at Faith. Emily writes, I'm employed and currently receiving Social Security income. I tithe on my salary? Should I also tithe on my Social Security income? I love your program and listen at work. Thanks. And Emily, thanks for this question. Clearly you're wanting to be a generous sower. Be faithful in your giving to the Lord, and I appreciate that. Um, here's my perspective. First of all, the tithe is a great beginning point for our giving. It's we're no longer under the Law of Moses. And yet, uh, we I think we should give proportionately. We see that in the, in the New Testament for sure. We should give sacrificially. And so starting with this idea that we would recognize God's ownership and give in proportion to our income, the tithe is a great principle to apply to that. Uh, so you would give, in the case of a tie, the 10th of your increase. The question is, is your Social Security increase? Uh, if you tithe on your gross income throughout your working life, clearly a portion of what you're getting from Social Security is a return of what you put into the system. The challenge is it would take an army of CPAs to figure out what portion is yours, what portion was your employer's contribution? Because remember, they paid half of the FICA tax. And then what portion was the growth that occurred while it was in there? And so I think for that reason, I would probably take the perspective that let's look at anything we receive from the Lord as a gracious gift from the Lord, no matter what its source was, whether it's SSI or Social Security or disability or an inheritance or a paycheck. And just say, Lord, I'm going to demonstrate my trust in you as my provider, knowing that your provision is complete. And I want to be partnered with you in giving in proportion to how you've prospered me. That would be the approach that I would take, as opposed to trying to figure out what portion falls into which bucket. But at the end of the day, Emily, I realize that the heart behind this is that you want to honor the Lord. And so I would just be on your knees if you're married, you and your husband just asking the Lord, what would you have me to do? And I think as long as you follow the leading of the Lord, you give cheerfully as an act of worship. I don't think the the percentage or checking a box is really the most important thing. So hopefully that's helpful to you as you think and pray through this. All right. Let's head back to the phones. Let's go back out to Texas. Hi, George. Go ahead sir.
S6: Hey Rob, how are you doing today?
S2: I'm well, thank you.
S6: I don't know how much information she gave you on me. Or if you have questions for me or. I do have some questions for you.
S2: Just give us a quick overview of what's going on in your life here, George.
S6: Well, I'm a 76 year old. I call it retired. I actually retired from a job and then on a Friday, went back to work pretty much full time on the Monday. So anyway, I've been working on it off since the retirement, so I'm kind of pretty tired trying to work two three days a week, sometimes five days, sometimes two, you know, so it's quite variable. So a couple of questions I have concerning that. I guess what is the best way for me to handle Social Security taxes and withholding taxes. Uh, since I'm basically contract labor now and they don't take that out of my check every month. So what percent of each should I set aside? Maybe. Or should I send in, uh, like a quarterly report to Uncle Sam? Uh.
S2: Yeah, it's a great question. And, uh, you know, typically you're going to want to set aside, uh, you know, on average, I think about 25 to 30% of your income to pay taxes. Uh, it's going to ultimately come down to your effective tax rate. And that's harder to determine in the first year because of the change and so forth. But, um, you know, if it's mainly kind of side jobs and so forth. Uh, I mean, I think that 30% number would typically be a good starting point, uh, which you may want to do is visit with a CPA, um, just to, you know, kind of run through all of this and determine your tax bracket, any deductions and credits for which you'd qualify, you know, based on the work that you're doing, because, you know, as an independent contractor, you know, you're going to have that self-employment tax, which, you know, when you're an employee, you're used to half of that being covered by your employer. But when you're self-employed, you owe the full 15.3% self-employment tax on your net earnings to cover Social Security and Medicare. And then obviously, you know, the federal and possibly state income tax. And then, yes, to your point about quarterly payments, you are going to want to make estimated tax payments, which would be made quarterly to the IRS and your state agency if that's applicable. Um, just so you don't get hit with any penalties because the IRS doesn't want to wait and get it all at once, you know, at the end of the at the end of the year when you file your return. So I would say if you start right up front with that 30% number, probably on the upper end, 35%, and then do some tax planning, maybe you go sit with a CPA who's going to file your taxes, at least for the first year. Now that you've made so many changes just to ensure that, number one, you're paying the right amount. But number two, you're taking full advantage of every deduction available to you, which obviously there's a lot more liberty there as a self-employed individual where you have documented and and reasonable business costs that you can deduct from your income. But is that helpful?
S6: It sure is. And can I ask something real quick? Again, kind of dovetailing to that. You know, when I was working full time and they were taking X number of dollars out of my check and putting into the 401 K, which was of course tax deferred, they don't do that anymore. I guess I want to get back into maybe setting some more aside into my investment accounts that have to do that myself now. So yeah.
S2: Exactly right. So you've got a couple of options. The simplest and quickest would be probably a Roth IRA. Or if you want the deduction like you had in your 401 K, you could use a traditional IRA. And if you're over the age of 50 then you could put in 8000 for the year 2024. And then as soon as we roll into 25, you could do another 8000. Now, if you have the ability to do more than 8000 a year or 16,000 over the next several months, between 24 and 25, then as a self-employed person, you'd want to look at something called a Sep IRA, which is basically just like a traditional IRA, except it's for self-employed individuals. And that Sep IRA would allow you to put in far more than the 8000 you could put in up to 25% of your total compensation, or a max of 69,000 for the year 2024, whichever is less. So that would be an option. And you can have a Sep IRA alongside a traditional IRA. So you know, whereas with the the Roth and the traditional, you can only put in 8000 combined between the two of them. Um, but with a Sep, you could put in the full 8000 into a traditional and then put in another, uh, up to 69,000 or 25% of your compensation, whichever is less. And those are very easy to open. I'd probably open one at Fidelity or Schwab, start making a regular contribution. And then you could just, you know, invest those in a high quality, low cost mutual fund of some kind. Does that make sense?
S6: Sure does. One thing you said 69,000 or what percentage.
S2: Or 25% of your total comp? Uh, whichever is less.
S6: Okay, great. Yeah. Okay. Those are a lot of things to think about and get in order.
S2: All right.
S6: Okay. Thank you. And y'all have a great day.
S2: Absolutely. George, thank you for your call, sir. Lord bless you. Yeah. Before we head to our break, you know, as I read scripture, I see this big idea jumping off the page around contentment. You know, I think as we consider our role as stewards of God's money, we need to foster this attitude that the apostle Paul talked about, and that is contentment. Remember, he said that it's learned. I've learned to be content. He was in a time of plenty and in a time of need, and he learned to be content in either of those. Contentment is a choice. And when we increase our contentment, well, then we can focus on what God has given us and not on what he's given others. I hope that's an encouragement to you today. Again, we're not here today. We're away from the studio, so don't call in. But just around the corner. We have some more questions to tackle. I know you're going to enjoy the calls we have coming up. Stay with us. We'll be right back.
S1: The opinions offered during this program represent the personal or professional opinions of the participants, given for informational purposes only. Any information provided is not intended to replace advice from a financial, medical, legal or other professional who understands your specific situation.
S2: We're so glad you've joined us for Faith and Finance Live today here in our final segment, let me remind you not to call in because we're not live today, but we'd love for you to stick around and enjoy the rest of the program. Let's go to Saul in Mississippi. Go ahead.
S7: Yes. Hi. Um, I'm about $26,000 in credit card debt. Now, my husband walks out on us, and for a while he was paying the bills. But then he stopped. Um, we now have a court order that, you know, makes it better. But in that meantime, we did rack up some debt. Um, I'm almost to the limit on the cards. Yeah. And my credit score used to be, like, 780, but now it's quite a bit lower. Um, and we need. Well, we're going to need, um, I mean, like, we're doing fine without any major expenses, but now with having to pay extra lawyer fees, and, you know, we're looking at getting the roof on the house replaced in the next year or so. Yeah. Um, I'm wondering what the best option is for, you know, do we take a home equity line on our house or, um, what do we do?
S2: Yeah, boy. So I'm so sorry. I know this is a lot, and it's weighing on you, and there's just so many things going on here. And certainly the financial piece of this is adding additional pressure and stress. And so we need to ask the Lord to intervene here. Um, obviously we can pray toward a restoration of the marriage that would be preeminent. But regardless of how this plays out, we trust him as your provider and sustainer. And, um, we need to just, you know, take one step at a time here, and you need people around you who can give you wise counsel and encouragement. And we'd love to help to provide that as you navigate this. Here's what I'd like to do. I'd like to give you the gift of a Christian financial counselor, a certified Christian financial counselor who could walk alongside you over several sessions just to try to get everything documented in terms of where do you stand? What is the income you have? What are the expenses you have? What debts do you have? Kind of. Where are we at in the process of figuring out who's going to be responsible for what? Assuming you do end up getting divorced and just, you know, taking this one month at a time as you navigate this. We'll cover the cost of that if you'd be willing to take advantage of it. And this would be a trained, godly financial counselor who would work with you over the phone, over a series of meetings just to try to get everything in place and help you put a plan together. Because often when we're going through something as traumatic as this is, everything just becomes cloudy. It's hard to make a decision. You know, it's hard to see the path forward. And so having somebody who's trained in this area, who, you know, shares your values and can encourage you spiritually and pray for you, but also help you make the right financial moves. You know, I think would be really helpful. Is that something you'd take advantage of if we provided it?
S7: Oh, definitely.
S2: Okay. Um, let's do that. So, uh, I'm going to have you, uh, hold the line. We're going to get your information, and we're going to get one of our certified Christian financial counselors in touch with you, just to kind of help you put a plan together on where you go from here. And, uh, hopefully that'll give you some clarity and some encouragement. Um, and then this will all, you know, play out over time and become clear as to how this proceeds. But just be sure to call us after you get on the other side of this. and we want to hear God's, uh, the testimony of the Lord's faithfulness to you. And and we know it's it's certainly going to be challenging, but he's going to walk every step with you. He said he'll never leave us or forsake us, and we can trust in that. And this is a difficult season, and we'll have those in this, in this world. But, um, the Lord is right there with us. And so you can be confident in that today. And we, uh, hope we can play a small part in just being an encouragement to you and helping you get some wise counsel. So stay right there. We'll get your information and get somebody in touch with you and won't cost you a penny. We'll take care of everything. God bless you. Thanks for calling today. Uh, let's go to Texas. Hi, Dorothy. Go ahead.
S8: Hello, there.
S2: Hi.
S8: I, I am trying to play catch up with my retirement accounts, and so I was told that you can put 8000 a year. Is that per account or is that across all accounts?
S2: It's per person. So per Social Security number. If you're talking about an IRA you can put in over the age of 50, up to 8000 across all of your IRAs. So if you had one IRA or five IRAs, you can't put in more than 8000 total per person for that tax year.
S8: Okay. Okay. And, um, so how can we put away more? I unfortunately, you know, the consequences of an ill spent youth have really only been saving for about ten years, so I need to I need to double down. And I am in a position that I can, um, as soon, you know, I have a good job now so I can pay more in another something. But I really don't know anything about investments.
S2: Yeah. No problem. Uh, you come to the right place. So let's talk about what options you have available to you. So we mentioned the first one. That's an IRA. Uh, are you married, Dorothy?
S8: Uh, yes, I am. My husband is currently retired already and he has a fixed income. I have a 4 or 5 seven B. I work for the school district. I also have a TRS account that they fund, you know, take money out of my check. And then I also have a Roth IRA. So I was really hoping that I could pay.
S2: Yes, I think we lost you there for a second, but I've got most of that. Um, so that's helpful. Now, uh, a retired spouse can, uh, you know, contribute to an IRA as a spousal IRA, which it's not joined. IRAs are still in one person's name, but as long as at least one spouse has enough earned income to cover both contributions so that, you know, self-employment or, uh, you know, you working as long as you have at least 16,000 in earned income, then you could both contribute to that Roth IRA or a retirement plan that is going to be available to you. Um, obviously that tres you're going to get what you get out of that. If you have the ability to do salary deferral into a 457 plan. Um, you know, that would be the next best option. Um, which would be, you know, you can put in quite a bit of money in that 457 plan. Uh, would either be 23,000 or 100% of your compensation. Um, so, you know, that would be an option. And then if you're over 50, you can put in another 7500. So that would allow you to put in up to 30,500 in that 457. Uh, as a catch up. So I think between your, your teacher's retirement and the 457 that you're participating in and perhaps increasing the contribution to get up to the max if you have the ability to do that, and the 16,000 between the two IRAs for you and your husband, so long as you have at least 16,000in earned income. So even though he's not working, he could do that as a spouse. Uh, you guys, you know, can put away quite a bit of money. Um, you know, that's $46,000 right there just for 2024. Between the 457 B and the two IRAs. So hopefully that helps you. I know we lost you there. And unfortunately we're not able to get a follow up from you. But, um, if you have further questions, don't hesitate to call in the future. Lord bless you. Well, folks, we've covered a lot of ground today. You know, as we think about managing money God's way. Uh, the key is that we need to first, I think, recognize that God owns it all. And that sounds simple. And yet it's a profound idea, because when we recognize God's ownership and the Bible is very clear, Psalm 24 one, the earth is the Lord's and everything in it, then it allows us to put everything in its proper context. We become stewards or managers that reflect the heart of the master and the management of the master's resources. But our money now becomes a tool to accomplish God's purposes. It's not an end. It's a means to an end. And it's not the meaning of life, but it can add meaning to our lives as we see it as really a tool to not only provide for our families, which is biblical, but perhaps to this bigger idea of being invited into a story that's much bigger than us and that's that God's grand generosity, adventure, you know, generosity just explodes off of every page. That's really what the Bible is. It's a generosity story, and it can be best summed up in those nine words, For God so loved the world he gave. And so as image bearers of Christ, uh, of of God himself, we have the ability to be most like him, I believe, when we're giving and when we hold his provision loosely. And that's what we want to do. Each day on this program is take the opportunity to say, God, how can we reflect your handiwork and majesty and glorify you through the use of your resources. Because when you own it all and you do now, every spending decision becomes a spiritual decision. And here's the reality, folks. When we take a step back and we look at how we're allocating God's money, what we realize is that we're telling a story about what's most important to us in the way we allocate God's money. The late Larry Burkett used to say this. He would say, the way we handle money is actually the clearest indicator into what's going on in our lives spiritually. Now, for some of us, that is stops us in our tracks and we say, uh oh, I don't I don't like the sound of that. And yet it's an opportunity for each of us to say, regardless of the the mistakes we've made in the past or the decisions we've made in our financial life from this point forward, I want to be found faithful. What is faithfulness? It's obedience in the same direction over a long period of time. And when it comes to our money, we have an opportunity to go to God's Word, to renew our minds, to get into the scriptures and see what he has for us in those 2350 verses and those parables, more than half of them that deal with money, and we can see the heart of God and how we should be rich toward God and handle money in such a way that it's evident that God is our treasure and not our money. Remember in Mark four in the parable of the sower, Jesus, when he was explaining to the disciples what choked out the word from bearing a 30, 60, 100 fold return? He said it was the deceitfulness of riches and the cares of this world and the desires for other things. Let's not let that be true about us in the way we handle God's money. Let's hold it loosely. Let's give it generously, and let's use it to honor the King of Kings. And let's do that together on this program each day. Thanks for being along with us today. Hey, faith in Finance Live is a ministry of Faith, fi and Moody Radio. Thanks to my team today and we'll see you tomorrow. Come back and join us then.
S9: Bye bye.