S1: This past week, I heard someone say that the gospel was that Jesus died for our sins. That's an incomplete statement. I heard someone else say that the gospel includes the ascension of the Messiah, Jesus, which adds to the gospel. It's an added statement. And also someone said that we need personal holiness as part of the gospel, that we have to be good to be saved. That's a distorted statement. What is the good news? According to the Bible. Stay with me and we'll talk about that in just a moment. Hello, friends. Welcome to Open Line, Moody Radio's Bible study across America. My name is Michael. I'm the academic dean. I'm a professor of Jewish studies and Bible at Moody Bible Institute. I'm so grateful that you're joining me today around the radio kitchen table. And we're going to talk about your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. If you have a question and you'd like to call, here's the phone number. Ready? (877) 548-3675 I'm going to slow it down there. Write this down. (877) 548-3675. Let me give you, uh, who's here with me today to hear. Haynes is sitting in the producer's chair. Omar Mendoza is our tech guy. Titus is answering the phones. Lisa is here helping out as well. Grateful for her again. The phone number (877) 548-3675. It's time to get yourself a cup of coffee. I've got my coffee and my open line mug right here. It's so hot. It's burning my lips and my tongue and, uh, have to be careful with that. Open your Bible because we're going to talk about and study the scriptures together. Imagine you see a terrible car accident. You're the first one to get to the vehicle, and the driver is clearly in bad shape, seemingly at the point of death. And at the last moment he turns to you and says, I'm afraid to face God. How can I know that my sins are forgiven? Could you explain the good news of Jesus to this desperate person in 25 words or less? Because that's all the time you've got. I'm asking this because this circumstance demonstrates that the good news of Jesus, the Messiah, is our most important message. And in first Corinthians 15 one through eight, Paul declares that the message that the Corinthians believed in and by which they were saved, the good news was delivered to them as of first importance. So this is really important. Unfortunately, although the message of the gospel is such a priority, frequently committed, educated, biblically astute, mature Jesus followers present and proclaim this really basic message in a, in a, in a in an inadequate way. Today I want to review the most important message. What is the gospel? What is the good news that we proclaim? What must we believe to experience God's forgiveness and new life in Jesus? In first Corinthians 15, Paul uses the word gospel. It's two Greek words put together into one. It means good news. In verses one and two, he says that he proclaimed this message of good news and the Corinthians have received it. He even says that they are saved by this good news. This is the essential message of the faith that he delivered it to them. Of first importance. It is what we must believe to experience God's redemption and forgiveness in Jesus. So what is it? The first part of the good news found in first Corinthians 15, verses three and four, is that the Messiah, Jesus, died. Paul also gives the reason for his death. It was for our sins. He died as a sin substitute, taking the punishment that we deserved for our sins. Then Paul gives the evidence that Jesus really died as our sin substitute. The first part of the evidence is biblical. It was according to the scriptures, meaning that Old Testament passages like Isaiah 53 foretold the Messiah's death on our behalf. The second part of the evidence is historical. He was buried, meaning Jesus really died. It wasn't a sham. He didn't merely swoon or appear to be dead. He really, truly died or he would not have been buried. And when he died, he took the punishment that we deserve. So the first part of the good news is that the Messiah, Jesus, died for us. What's the second part? Well, the second part of the good news is found in first Corinthians 15, verses four through eight. It is that the Messiah, Jesus, rose from the dead. The reason the resurrection is so important is that it validated his deity. It proved he really is God. You see, anyone can claim to be God. But how do we know that Jesus, who claimed to be God in the flesh? Flesh really was God. The proof is the resurrection. God the father validated Jesus claim by raising him from the dead. And that's why Romans ten nine and ten says that if we confess that Jesus is Lord, meaning that he is God. That he is Lord, and believe that God raised him from the dead will be saved, just as he did for the death of the Messiah. Paul gives two lines of evidence for his resurrection. First, the biblical evidence is that it was according to the scriptures. Likely Paul has in mind passages like Psalm 1610 and Isaiah 53 1011, which predict the Messiah's resurrection. Second, there's historical evidence. Again he was seen alive. He appeared to Peter, to the apostles, and up to 500 people at one time. He really is alive. So often I hear people presenting the good news and they say it's that Jesus died for our sins. That's true, but that's not all of it. We have to include that Jesus is alive, that he was raised from the dead. Listen, the Romans crucified 20,000 Jewish men in the first century, but only one was raised from the dead. So when presenting the good news, we can't assume that those who hear the message will know that Jesus was raised. Friends, let me give you a challenge. Listen carefully to the various presentations you hear about the good news. It might be a commercial on Christian radio, or a pamphlet you might read, or a website, or a message at your congregation, or just anywhere. Note how frequently people leave out the resurrection of Jesus when presenting the Good news. It's not that people don't believe in the resurrection, they just don't realize how essential it is. So here's the good news in a nutshell. It's what we must believe to become a child of God. Ready, Messiah Jesus died for our sins and rose again, proving he is God. That's it. It's not about going forward. Raising our hands, getting baptized, joining a church, being really, really good or feeling really, really bad for all the wrong we've done. It's not about knowing everything in the Bible, memorizing the Apostles Creed, repeating the Westminster Catechism or anything else people may have proposed. It's this the Messiah. Jesus died for our sins and rose again, proving he is God. Now, what would I say to that guy in the car accident in 25 words or less? Here it is. The wrong things we do separate us from God. Messiah Jesus died taking our punishment and rose again, proving He is God. Trust in him. That's it. That's exactly 25 words. It's of first importance that we believe this essential message. Have you trusted that Jesus died for you and rose again, proving he is God. If not, today's the day. Do it right now. Trust in him. And if you have indeed made that faith decision already, then be assured you are God's child forever. And that message has become the most important message we can ever present to anyone else. Let's make it our commitment to proclaim this good news, so that we can help people find the Lord Jesus and experience his mercy, grace, and forgiveness. Well, that is the an adaptation of the first chapter in a book I wrote called 50 Most Important Bible Questions. If you're interested in reading that in detail, a little bit more detail even than that, you can pick up a copy of 50 Most Important Bible Questions Moody publishers book from a couple of years ago. Uh, we're going to go to the phones right now and talk to James in Webster, Florida, listening on Wqez. Welcome to Open Line. James. How can I help you?
S2: Uh, good to talk to you. Uh, I was just wondering when when God created Adam and Eve, they were the first two he created. He put them in the Garden of Eden, and, uh, he put the the the fruit, the tree, or and, uh, told them they could eat from anything of the garden except for that. And, uh, he I understand that. Excuse me. I understand that he gave them free will, but he he knew because he's God, he knows everything. He knew that that they would, would, would eat of the fruit and fall and not do what he said and bring, uh, the curse onto the earth or bring sin to the earth. Why, why would why would I just want understanding? Why would he even put the tree there for him to do it? And, uh, why would he give him the option? Why wouldn't he? Why would he just say, I'm going to put you on on earth? This is Paradise. But there's going to be sin. There's going to be pain. There's going to be suffering. I just never could never understand the reason. If he knows that they're going to do wrong. Because there are only two people here. James.
S3: James, I got your question.
S1: I understand your question, but here's my question for you. Do you believe that Jesus died for your sins and rose again?
S2: Yes, sir.
S1: Have you put your trust in him?
S2: Yes, sir.
S1: Okay, then here's the deal. I'm going to try my best to explain this to you. I'm not sure that anyone has a perfect explanation. I'll do my best. But you don't have to understand this. That's. That's why I asked you that question. What you have to understand is that God redeemed us and redeemed that entire situation. And that's what's most important. There there comes a time when we have to say, you know what? I don't understand everything. But God is good and he knows what he's doing. He knows a whole lot better than me. And I don't have to understand everything he did. And that's what I really want to encourage you to, to say. You know what? I may never understand this, but God really went out of his way. He extended himself. He stretched. God became a man. He took on the punishment that we were, the suffering that we encounter on earth. He didn't deserve any of it. The the Lord Jesus died for us, rose again. And that's what we believe. And he's remedied the situation. Now, first of all, the reason he didn't just put humanity on Earth without a test is because then we'd be robots. We would be robots. And, uh, a robot or a computer or a machine can't genuinely love. There has to be a choice of obedience to to love someone. Uh, and so, uh, the the options weren't, uh, I suppose we could say the option was to, to have this test that God knew we would fail because he's omniscient. Although it was a genuine test. Uh, he knew that humanity would fail. He could either do that, which is what he did, or, uh, he wouldn't have created anyone or anything. That's because that's not the option. Because if he had created us without the ability to fail, then, Then the result was would be that we'd be robots. So his choice was either to create us with the potential of failure or not to create the world and not to create humanity. And he chose to create the world. Why? I believe the best of all possible worlds is not a world without suffering and evil and problems. But the best of all possible worlds is the world in which God overcomes evil and suffering and and sin. And that's what the world will be when we have a new heavens and a new earth. It will be people who have put their trust in the Lord, and they will be there to love and serve him forever without the possibility of sin. But the best of all possible worlds is not a world in which there was no evil, but a world in which evil has been overcome. One of the benefits of evil, for example, is there are some things, some virtues that we would never understand, like sacrifice, dying for. You know, let's say, for example, a soldier jumps on a grenade and dies for his brigade. If there wasn't the evil of war, he wouldn't. He would not, uh, he would not give himself for other troops for his his company or for his, uh, little group of soldiers. His unit. You. Yeah. You see what I mean? Uh, I hope this helps. We're going to go to break now. Uh, and, uh, I'm really grateful that you called. I hope this helps, James. Uh, really appreciate your love for the Lord, and I. And I hope that will be the best. That you'll trust him. With that, we'll be back with more of your questions right here on open line. (877) 548-3675. Call with your question about the Bible, God or the spiritual life. This is Michael. Nick, be right back. So stay with us. Welcome back to Open Line I'm Michael Ray. Remember the old days when we took trips and we'd plot out our way with a Rand McNally road atlas? I think when we read the Bible, it would help to have a good road map also. Even when reading the New Testament, I think we can get lost. And that's why our current resource, a survey of the New Testament by Paul Benoit, is so helpful. It's a comprehensive guide that takes us on a journey from Matthew to Revelation. Revelation. It gives us a road map of the New Testament. You'll discover how each book connects to tell one great story of God's redemptive, redemptive plan. Now, if you're a regular listener to open line and you've never given a gift before, I so appreciate you listening. But I wonder if if you don't want to miss out on this excellent resource. It is a terrific tool that you can use to help you in your understanding of the word. And we want to send it to you and to anyone who gives a gift of any size to open. And we want to say thanks for your gift by sending you survey of the New Testament by Paul Benware. If you'd like to give, just call (888) 644-7122. Let me give you that number again. (888) 644-7122. Or you can go to open line radio.org. And remember ask for survey of the New Testament by Doctor Ben Ware. And we're going to talk to Liz in Ohio. Uh, how can I help you today? Liz, welcome to Open Line.
S4: Uh, hello. Hi. Yes. Thank you so much for taking my call and for sharing your love of Christ. Um, love your show. Uh, so my question is, um, are those who have died still alive in Christ? For example, I have a friend who prays the rosary to Mary. Um, can we ask them to pray for us?
S1: Anyone? Is that. Is that what you're saying? Can we ask the dead to pray for us if our.
S4: Well, I'm asking. Are are those who have died? Are they still alive in Christ? Can we, I guess, yeah. Can we ask them to pray for us?
S1: Okay. Well, I believe that people who have trusted in Jesus when they die, according to the book of Philippians, for example, it says, Paul says that when he dies, he goes to be with Christ. So obviously they're still alive. Uh, those of us who have trusted in Jesus, we immediately go to be with the Lord. Second Corinthians five says, absent from the body is present with the Lord. So point one yes, there are still alive. Point two I would say about this is I why would we presume that they can hear us if we pray to them? We're not. Do you think that they're omniscient and can hear everything that's going on on earth? It's a whole we don't know what's going on in heaven because we're not omniscient. God himself knows what's going on in heaven and on earth, but they don't become little. Deity figures, do they? In your mind?
S4: No.
S1: No. So they can't hear. You know, some people talk about Hebrews 11 where it says, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses, and so they think that people in heaven. The cloud of witnesses are watching. But if you read Hebrews 12, one says that. But it's really about the people in Hebrews 11. And the word witnesses means people who testify. Meaning that their faith testifies to us. And since we have so great a bunch a cloud of people testifying of the value of faith, that we ought to have faith as well and hold on to our faith. So, uh, I don't think it's that they can understand or hear. And then also what the Bible says in first Timothy two five. This is I think that's something that's essential for us. It says in first Timothy two five, for there is one God and one mediator also between God and man, the man Messiah, Jesus. You know, I just don't see any point in asking for anyone else to mediate for us. Uh, what do you think?
S4: I, I think it's just Jesus that I agree.
S1: Yeah. Okay. Well, uh, you know what? I don't need anyone with special standing to intervene to God. Any special friend to intervene with God. Because I have the mediator, the Lord Jesus. He's the one. It says he's our advocate with the father in first John two. Who else could I possibly want? I'm glad you agree with that, Liz. Appreciate it. Thanks for your call. I really, really do appreciate it. Thank you. Uh, we're going to talk to Sandy in Jenison, Michigan, listening on wkzg. Welcome to Open Line. Sandy, how can I help you today?
S5: Hey, Michael, it's wonderful to be able to ask you a question. Hey.
S3: We've been. Hey, can I ask you a question first? Sandy.
S1: Where's Jenison? Is it near Grand Rapids? Is it near Detroit? Where is it?
S5: It is near Grand Rapids. We are on the west side of Grand Rapids. Between. Um, yeah, Grand Rapids and Holland.
S1: Gotcha. Okay. There you go. And so. and that's the Zealand station that we have or we have a whole bunch of stations there I guess. Yeah. Yeah. Gotcha. Yes it is.
S5: Yes. Wonderful. And it's going to be a CSG as in George.
S1: So just I, I see it there.
S5: Yep. So yes. So anyway, we've been reading in Mark and in there several places Jesus cast out demons. And a mother says, here's my daughter. She's demon possessed. People recognize demon possession. And as I'm reading through this, I'm going, okay, where are the demons today? Our enemy is Satan. Right. So it stands to reason that we have demons who are possessing people. But why don't we recognize it? Or where are they? Or. I mean, is it a thing? I'm just curious.
S1: Yeah. Well, first of all, I think we see pretty much a lot of demonic activity out there. don't you think? With all the bad teaching out there and bad views, that people are thinking all sorts of bizarre thoughts? Uh, we we, uh, we see demonic doctrines of demons, so to speak, as, as Paul calls them, uh, out there, uh, in terms of demon possession. One of the there are people out there who think that every time we sin, it's because we're demonized. I don't think that's the case. I think demons have influence. Uh, but there's the flesh, and the flesh is what makes us sin. Uh, I think that if you went into a culture where there was a lot more animism, uh, and engagement with idolatry and things like that, uh, that it appears to me that there would be, uh, greater, uh, actions of of demonic possession. Okay. I have, uh, there's a man who went to be with the Lord. He used to be the chairman of the international ministries. You know, it's another word for missions department at Moody Bible Institute. Uh, he's with the Lord now. One of the best professors. Godliest men loved him. Uh, Ken, Hanna and Ken served in Nicaragua, and, I believe Guatemala. And because in those areas, there's a lot of demonic activity, a lot of syncretism with Catholicism. Uh, you know, it's syncretism is it's where they merge a lot of the syncretism. Okay, merging, uh, previous pagan beliefs and kind of putting it into, uh, they officially converted to Catholicism, but they, they brought a lot of their pagan beliefs. And in his missionary work, he said that he encountered a good deal of deal of demon possession. And that was because of the that stuff that was going on there. And it was interesting. He he said that he believed the apostles were commanded to confront demons directly in the name of Jesus, but he was not an apostle and with a capital A, and he did not do that. But what he did do was he preached the gospel and called on these people to believe. And when they believed, the demons would leave.
S5: So, ah, okay.
S1: That that was kind of an interesting insight into spiritual warfare from, uh, from Ken Hanna. But I'm not saying that there isn't demonic activity or demonic behavior today, uh, in like, North America, but it is, uh, much less because I don't think we have, uh, the kind of demon demonic activity that people are engaging in with, with, uh, Animism and and idolatry and things like that. So that's what I would say.
S5: That makes sense. Thank you. I appreciate that.
S1: Yeah. Thanks for the call. I really appreciate it. We're going to come back with the mailbag in just a bit to here's dragging it in. Uh, this is the Febc mailbag. So if you've written in had your question put in there, you might hear it right now. Stay with us. This is Michael Wright on Open Line. And we're back. It's open line with Michael Zelnick. And I am so glad that you're listening in today. Really appreciate it. And joining us right now for the Febc mailbag is to hear a now to hear, uh, I always talk about so grateful that we have a great team here at Open Line. You recently became part of the team. Can you talk about what you're doing on Open Line?
S6: Yes. I help with the producing all things, producing my work along with Tricia and a few other people in the at Moody. But essentially, we make sure that Michael, as a host, you have everything you need. We go through the questions, we talk to our listeners and get them ready to come on air. And we just keep track of the program and do all the things that are needed to keep the program running seamlessly.
S1: Yeah, and I'm so glad that you're here to do that, to hear, because I always talk about this and I say this over and over. I'm not sure people really believe me, that I really think that without this team, without you, without Omar, with without Tricia, obviously Lisa's been helping out as well. Sometimes this program could never go on the air. It's a real team thing. And. And that's what I think is so crucial about that is I really mean it too, when I talk about our kitchen table partners as being part of the team. Uh, we talk about them all the time. We get to meet them and I get letters from them, and, uh, that I so appreciate. They are people who commit to be, uh, to give once a month, every month for a year, uh, so that we can be on the air every week of, of the year. We don't miss any weeks, even if we have a backup program that we run, we're on every week. And I'm so grateful for those kitchen table partners. And, uh, one of the things that we do for the kitchen table partners is we send a Bible study moment to their mailbox. It's an audio Bible study prepared exclusively for our kitchen table partners. Listen, if you're listening and you would like to become a kitchen table partner, if you'd like to make that commitment, even though you. You may never have even given to a radio program. But this program is ministering to you and you'd like to to help. By doing that, I sure would appreciate it. All you have to do is call (888) 644-7122. (888) 644-7122. Or you just can go to open line radio.org and click on the kitchen table partner link right there. So okay it's time for the mailbag. I'm grateful for our partnership with Febc, Far Eastern Broadcast Broadcasting Company. Uh, they partner with Open Line to bring you the weekly Febc mailbag. It's a terrific organization that brings the good news to people via media and personal engagement. Check out the Febc podcast until all have heard by going to Febc. Org. Hey, Tyra. Uh, that most people won't know this, but the president of Febc at canon used to be the vice president chief operating officer of Moody Bible Institute, And, uh, he heard me teach a class once. I think it was a chapel at Moody. And he came up to me and he said, you should be on the radio. And it was because of him that I ended up going on the radio. So I love it that, uh, he's partnering having Far Eastern Broadcasting Company partner with us, because my old friend Ed Cannon is the one that got me on the radio to start with. It was it was fun.
S6: Awesome. It's so great how God orders our steps.
S1: Yeah. It's true, it's true. Well, let's go to the mailbag. What do we got here today?
S6: Yes. Thank you for emailing, um, emailing us at Open Line. The first question we have today.
S1: Is, you know what? Let's tell them. Let's tell people how to how to do this. You can go to open Line radio.org. There's a link there that says ask Michael a question. You click on that and you fill out the form and that's where your question goes. So if you're wondering how in the world did to hear or get these questions, it's not just by wondering where to mail them. It's going to to open line radio.org. Ask Michael a question.
S6: And that is exactly what Patrick did. We have Patrick from Ohio who listens through CRF. Can a person or theologian call themselves an apostle in present day?
S1: Well, let's talk about what an apostle was. An apostle is someone that saw the Lord and testified to the resurrection. It says in acts one, when they were looking to replace Judas, they said they need someone that had been with them that could testify of the resurrection. Even Paul, who wasn't one of the original 12 later on, an untimely born one. He said, uh, he said in first Corinthians nine one, am I not an apostle? Have I not seen the Lord? The requirement to be an apostle Was to testify of the resurrection. And then there were special signs. If you read the book of acts for the most part, every time there's all these unusual miracles happening, it keeps saying that these miracles were happening at the hands of the apostles. There's a reason for that. In Second Corinthians 1212 it says this. I'm turning the pages here. Uh, it says all the the signs of an apostle were performed with great endurance among you. Not only signs, but also wonders and miracles. And so what's Paul saying? That his ministry had signs and wonders and miracles. That was the proof that he was an apostle. If everyone could perform signs, wonders and miracles, then everyone would be apostles. But that's not the case. So if we're talking about an apostle with a capital A, I don't think it's Possible today. Uh, now there is a verse in Second Corinthians 823 that I believe refers to apostle with a small a. But that's not how most people, you know, you sometimes drive downtown and you see a church and it'll say it's led by apostle, you know, John Doe, whatever. Uh, and they're claiming to be an apostle with the same kind of authority that Paul and Peter had. I don't think that that's valid. But Second Corinthians 823 says, as for Titus, he is my partner and co-worker serving you. As for our brothers, these are the people on the apostolic team. They are apostles of the churches, the glory of Christ. Therefore, show them proof before the churches of your love and of our boasting about you. Here's the point. The word messengers. There is the same word as apostle, and its apostle with a small a its missionaries. That's what it means. And is it possible for people to be missionaries today to have that kind of small a missionary cross-cultural gift? Of course. But in terms of being an apostle with that capital A doing signs and wonders and miracles and testifying of having seen the risen Lord. Uh, that's not what we see today.
S6: Thank you so much for that thorough explanation.
S1: Yeah. So now, by the way, I think that's one of the things that we can look for is people with the cross-cultural gift. Those are the people that go overseas into different cultures, different places to share the gospel.
S6: So thank you. Yeah, we have Don from Indiana listening through WGN. In Genesis. Satan is referred to as a serpent, but in revelation he is referred to as a dragon. What is the difference and when did the change occur? Thank you.
S1: Well, there's no change. Satan has always been a fallen angel. He's not a serpent and he is not a dragon. Those are metaphors that are used. And they're used together. They are. It calls him in revelation 12. The serpent of old and the dragon. Uh, if you read revelation 12, they're all used at the same time. And the metaphor describes different characteristics of Satan. That's why they use. That's why you use a literary device. Like a metaphor, uh, to to give you a sense of what he is like when it talks about him. Uh, in verse nine, uh, the dragon and his angels also fought, but he could not prevail. This is verse seven now verse eight. But he could not prevail, and there was no place for them in heaven any longer. So the great dragon was thrown out. The ancient serpent who is called the devil and Satan. Okay, so what is it? The dragon represents that this fallen angel that led all these other angels is fierce. The serpent indicates that he's crafty because he used that serpent to deceive Eve. He spoke through that serpent. He's called the devil. The devil means slanderer. And you could see him slander, uh, us. Uh, one of the really famous passages about that is Zechariah three, where, uh, he's seen as the Slanderer. And then Satan, our adversary. That's what it means. His name means adversary. So, uh, the there's no change. He's always who he is. Uh, it's just those metaphors that are used of him and names that reflect his character.
S6: Thank you for that. That breakdown. So Dragon represents his fierceness. He's a serpent because he's crafty as a serpent. Yeah, Slanderer as a devil. And that our Satan is our adversary. Thank you. Yeah. Yep. Very, very.
S1: Yep.
S6: That's it. Thorough.
S1: Uh, let's let's let's take one more.
S6: Okay. Cheryl Ohio WKF. She says the sin separates us from God, and she references Romans 838 through 39 and Isaiah 59 two. I can quickly read those. Isaiah 59 two but your iniquities have have built barriers between you and your God, and your sins have made him hide his face from you so that he does not listen. In Romans eight, starting at verse 38, for I am persuaded.
S1: That Romans eight, by the way, is nothing will separate us from the love of God.
S7: That's it.
S1: Okay. So Isaiah 59. Our sins separate us from God. Romans eight. Uh, nothing can separate us from God.
S6: Right? Yes.
S1: And that's not really a contradiction. It's different status. Uh, Romans, uh, Isaiah 59 is, I think, talking about lost people. Uh, Isaiah 59, Romans 623 for the wages of sin is death. Death is separation. You know, when our body separates from our spirit, we're dead. When we're spiritually dead, we're separated from God. That's what Romans 623 is talking about, where it says the wages of sin is death. It's separation from God. Uh, a lost person is separated from God. But when we've trusted that Jesus died for our sins and rose again. Uh, we experience the love of God. And what Paul is saying here, no matter what sin we commit, that nothing we can do can separate us from the love of God that we have found when we put our trust in Christ Jesus our Lord. So it's different status. Uh, and uh, but the great thing is the love of God is available to everyone, even when we're separated from him. So if you are feeling separated from God, uh, then, uh, then we'll we're we're we're going to, uh, we can benefit. We can experience it by trusting in Jesus. Hey, to hear it. Thank you so much for putting that together.
S7: You're so welcome.
S6: Thank you. Michael.
S1: Answering the, uh, thanks for sending in those questions by going to npr.org and clicking on Ask Michael a question. We're going to take more questions next hour. Stay with us. More questions coming up straight ahead right here on Open Line with Michael Melnick. You know, since the war with Hamas began on October 7th, 2023. Pretty much there are people who go to Israel for compassion trips and for solidarity trips, but, uh, people seeing the land has pretty much shut down. I think it's starting up again because it's even though the war is not completely over, it's quiet in the land of Israel. So but nevertheless, there's not much touring going on. And if you always wanted to see Israel, but you haven't been able to go. Chosen People Ministries is offering a book. It's called Israel, the Land and the people. And it's even if you have been and you'd like to remember these places, it's a coffee table book with some of the best photos of Israel that you'll ever see. It shows all the beauty and history and culture of the land of Israel it covers. It has pictures of and covers from Snow Top, Mount Hermon in the north to Masada in the south, ancient Jerusalem, modern Tel Aviv. It's all there. Uh, and it has biblical verses and prayer prompts, something that will really help you. If you'd like a copy of this kitchen, this coffee table book. Uh, what you can do is you can get a free copy by just going to the Open line website. That's open line radio.org. Scroll down. You'll see a link that says a free gift from Chosen People Ministries. Click on that and you'll be taken to a page where you can sign up for Israel, the land and the people. And then also people have been asking me about a winter vacation coming up next December. I'll be teaching a Bible study, or actually just teaching through the entire book of Daniel on a Caribbean cruise. Uh, it's it's just going to be a great time. If you're interested in, in joining us next December on a tall ship. Uh, just like the kind that the apostle Paul would have gone on. Just go to our website, open line radio.org. Scroll down and go to the bottom where it says my personal web page. You can click on that and it'll take you to where you need to find out about that Caribbean cruise next December. Uh, well, we're going to go right back to the phones. We're going to talk to Andre in Clinton, New York, listening on the app. I love Clinton, New York. I'm so glad you're calling Andre. How can I.
S7: Help you today?
S1: Good.
S8: Good. Um, I got a question here from first John five, verse 16, and it says, if you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life. I refer to those who sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death and I want to know what that sin is.
S1: There are kinds of sin that lead to death. For example, uh, in first Corinthians 11 it talks about taking the Lord's Supper unworthily. And it said, for this reason some of you are sick. And some of you even sleep. That's a metaphor for death, for being dead. And so some have died. And so clearly taking the Lord's Supper in an unworthy manner. That's in First Corinthians 1130. This is why many are sick and ill among you, and many have fallen asleep. Uh, and and, uh, so there we go. And it's linked here in verse 32. When we are judged, we are disciplined by the Lord. So a form of discipline, you know, the Lord corrects us. And sometimes the sin is so extravagant that he takes us home. That's what he does. That's not that we're lost. But. But he takes us home.
S8: Inadvertent sins are like, say somebody slip and say a curse word.
S7: You know.
S1: No, it's not talking about that.
S7: No.
S1: It's talking about. This is something that where they denied the they trampled underfoot the the the significance of the Lord's Supper by abusing it. That's what was going on in first Corinthians 11. So there, there are very serious sins that, uh, if a person doesn't God, God brings us, you know, kind of deals with us and tries to bring us closer. But ultimately, and I don't know what the point is, but what the Lord does is he he brings us, he brings us home. And what John is saying is, you know, pray for people in sin. But there are some times when you see someone on the verge of death that will take their repentance in James five, I think that's what it's talking about. When you call for the elders and the person who they pray for, his sins are forgiven. Not only is he restored to Restored to health, but his sins are forgiven. That's not just normal illness. It appears in that context that it's an illness caused by sin.
S8: Okay, I understand. Thank you.
S1: Okay.
S7: Great. Thanks, Andre.
S1: Have a great day. We're going to talk next with, uh, akpene. Uh, in Greenville, South Carolina. Did I say your name right?
S9: Yes you did. Michael, thank you very much for taking my call.
S7: Sure.
S9: Um, why don't you find out in Matthew four, verse eight through nine, when Satan was tempting the Lord Jesus and told him he was, you know, he would give him all the kingdoms of the world if he kneeled down and worship him. My question is, how can Satan give something that doesn't belong to him? I, in my understanding, the kingdoms of the world doesn't belong to Satan. It belongs to the Lord Jesus Christ. So how can you give something that doesn't belong to him?
S1: Well, who is the God of this world right now?
S9: Satan?
S1: Yeah. Uh, the Lord Jesus is ultimately will rule all the nations and rule over everything. But truth to tell, uh, he what Satan is offering him is to bypass the cross. Bypass, uh, the resurrection bypass. The Ascension bypass, the, uh, sitting at the right hand of the father and waiting. He says, I'll give you everything. Now you just worship me. You don't have to go through all this painful stuff or this patient stuff. Right now, I can make you the king of this world. You don't have to wait. Uh, but you. And you won't have to go through suffering. Uh, that's why it was a temptation. Does that make sense?
S9: Yeah. It does. Okay. Yeah. Okay.
S7: But he.
S1: But he did.
S7: Wait. So thank God he did. Wait.
S1: Thanks for.
S7: Your call. God, I appreciate it. Okay. Thank you. Have a good day.
S1: You too. That's the first hour. Everyone so glad that we were together. But we're going.
S7: To.
S1: Stay together. Keep listening. I hope the second hour of Open Line is coming up on most of these stations. If your station doesn't carry it, you can always listen on the Moody Radio app. You can listen online. You can get the podcast. Uh, be sure to listen to those if you can't get it, but most of you will be listening during the break. Check out our web page. It's got all the links you're looking for, including a link to my personal web page, as well as how to become a kitchen table partner or get our current resource. The Bible study across America will continue in just a moment, so stay with us. Open line with Doctor Michael Melnick is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.