S1: Hello, friends. Welcome to the second hour of Open Line with Doctor Michael Ray Moody Radio's Bible Study Across America. I'm Michael Ray Melnick, I'm professor of Jewish studies and Bible at Moody, as well as the undergraduate dean. I'm here today and every Saturday trying to do my best to answer your Bible questions. And normally, the bulk of the program is your calls with your questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. But today it's all mailbag all the time. So the best way to be in touch is by going to our website, online radio.org. You can post a question there. There's a link that says Ask Michael a question and you can ask right there and it'll come up in a future mailbag. But today I'm going to be answering the questions you've sent in, and not just me. Eva melnick, who's is an adjunct faculty member at Moody Bible Institute, as well as a contributor to the Moody Bible Commentary and Moody Handbook of Messianic Prophecy. And she is also she happens to be my wife, my favorite Bible teacher. She and I studied the Bible together all the time. I'm glad you're here, Eva.
S2: I'm so glad to be here. Yeah.
S1: This way you can answer the Bible questions. You don't have to text them.
S2: Yeah, that's.
S1: That's what they say. This is what you usually do. And then also, Tricia McMillan is here. She is the producer of Open Line and the person who put the mailbag together. Thank you so much, Tricia. Glad you're here. I love these programs. I love sitting around talking about the Bible. And we were laughing the first hour about how it took some time to get through those questions. And the reason it took some time was because we all talk about it. And I guess that's the fun part. That's why it's the Bible study across America.
S2: And Trish doesn't just put questions together. She's a she's a graduate of Moody Bible Institute I understand. I am yeah. And double graduated.
S1: Bachelor's and.
S2: Master's right. That's right. Yeah. That's she knows stuff.
S1: Yeah I love it. There are some times when people call the program and we know that we're not going to get that question on the air. And Tricia will get on the line and answer their question right with them off the air, which I love it when you do that. Yeah, yeah, when we.
S3: Have time, I try. Yeah.
S1: So anyway, we're going to go right back to questions.
S3: Yes. And some of these are very unique ones that we've not had before. And so I'm really excited to hear your answers to them. So our first question is from Betsy in Florida. She listens to R&B. When I read Jesus's answers to people's questions in the Bible, it seems like they don't match the question is this because of the translation? And so I wrote as one example, the rich young ruler, which I forgot to write down the actual verse. So I'm going to flip here to mark ten, where the rich young ruler asked, good teacher 17 right? Yes, good teacher, what do I need to do to inherit eternal life? And Jesus responds, why do you call me good? Yeah. What? That's not. That wasn't the point of my of my question. And then he says, you know, you know all the commandments, but but it often seems like Jesus, it's not just here's what you do or yes or no. You know, if it's a yes or no question, it's a little more involved than that. And why?
S1: I think that the very point, I mean, Jesus is good. So why does he ask that question? Why do you call me good? I think he's trying to diagnose not just for himself, because obviously he knows what's inside of us. Even in these interactions. He knows what's in man. It says at the end of John two, but rather he is helping the person think about why are they? Why are you asking me this question? What are you trying to do? Just butter me up? Do you really think I'm good? Do you understand what I mean? What do you call me? Good. Yeah, he's kind of probing. What? That which he knows about the person intuitively or I think omnisciently.
S2: Yeah. About us.
S1: Yeah. Not intuition, but Omniscience. Uh, so that's the one thing that he's doing. But he often doesn't give the answer that's expected. I think that that's just amazing. Uh, and it serves to show how unpredictable the Messiah is. Uh, I've got a book brewing that I want to write about that, that when you look at how Jesus responds to people, he always gives the unpredictable, unexpected answer. One of my favorite examples of that is Luke 13 and and the reason for that, it is it's sort of an upside down view of the problem of evil. And the reason I say that is it says in Luke 13, uh, some people came and reported to him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. Apparently Pilate, at their Passover sacrifices, took them, killed people, and mixed their blood with the sacrifices they were offering. He was a bad guy pilot, right? And he responded, do you think that these Galileans were more sinful men? Sinful than all Galileans, because they suffered these things? What did we expect of the Messiah when they came with that sympathy? Oh, I'm so sorry. This is. Wait, wait. I know what your real question is. Were they worse? And that's why God allowed it to happen. Do you think they were more sinful than you are? And you're safe because you're not sinful? No. I tell you, unless you repent, you will perish as well. And then he says, or they 18. Then he. Jesus raises another problem of evil. This is not human evil, but natural evil. We would call it a tower in Siloam fell on them and killed them. Do you think they were more sinful than all the other people who live in Jerusalem? No, I tell you, unless you repent, you will perish as well. And then he tells the story of the barren fig tree. And why it is that the barren fig tree gets to not be destroyed right away, which it should be, because the farmer asked for patience of the owner. He says, you know, I know it's not producing anything, but let me give it another year. I'll, I'll, I'll put some food, plant food around it. I'll fix it up and let's see if we can get more fruit. It's. And the decision is made to let it go for another year. Out of God, out of patience. And what he is saying is, the reason everyone doesn't experience evil is because God is being patient. He's giving you time to repent because if we all got what we deserved, we'd be flashed in an instant. We'd be gone. Uh, and this is an utterly unacceptable answer that focuses on God's mercy despite our evil, rather than, yeah, those people were bad, and that's why they got that. Do you understand? It's just an upside down answer and start studying Jesus answers to questions. I'd say 90% of the time he gives an upside down answer.
S2: Right? So these are.
S3: They're not translation issues as to why there doesn't seem to be a question and then a response that correlates to the question.
S1: It's a messianic.
S2: Issue.
S3: Okay.
S1: It's when you're the Messiah, you know what people need to hear, right? Yeah. That's, uh, I think that's it's one of my favorite things as I, as I've studied the Gospels, that's the thing that strikes me the most. I mean, read the Good Samaritan, the story. There's no such thing as a good Samaritan, right? Right. And so when the Lord Jesus gives the answer about the Good Samaritan, he what? That's not what we expected to hear, right? Uh, in the first century, there was no expectation that there was one good Samaritan. And the Lord Jesus tells that story. Who's the true neighbor? So, yeah, it's I love that. It's It's there's so many things I love about the Lord Jesus, but when I study these, I'm thinking, wow, this is just great. And as a teacher, one of the things I've tried to do is sometimes when when students ask questions in class, I try to answer not the question that they're asking as well. In addition, I want to answer the question that they're really asking the.
S2: Question behind the question. Question behind the question.
S3: And I think you do that on Open Line. We'll talk about that sometimes off the air. Yeah. That there's there's often a question behind a question that we, that we really want to know.
S2: Yeah.
S1: Yeah yeah. That's what I do. Sometimes I'll probe for it and sometimes I'll just answer it. I know right. Yeah. But that's, that's because I've watched the model of the.
S3: Lord and I've studied it. Yeah, yeah. Okay. Thank you for that question, Betsy. Our next question is from George on Facebook and Matthew 20 1028. Sorry, Matthew ten verse 28. It says, don't fear those who kill the body but are not able to kill the soul. Rather, fear him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. What does this mean? It seems to say that the body and soul will be destroyed in hell, and that those who go there won't suffer for eternity. Is that what it's saying? What is he trying to say?
S1: The question here is about Annihilationism. There are some people who teach that eternal separation from God is that those who are lost will just be after some time of suffering. They'll be poof, gone, annihilated, and then, and thereby they are eternally separated from God. Uh, I I, I think that some people feel that's preferable. Uh, I'm not sure, but I what I would want to do is stick to the text, what it's talking about when it talks about destroy the soul, or that's talking about eternal, perpetual, never ending destruction. It's the forever process. And, uh, there's a verse.
S2: In that revelation 1411. Sure. Um, that kind of sort of speaks to that. Hang on. Let me let me find revelation. Where is that? In the Bible. Oh, it's near the end. The end. Toward the end. Yeah, yeah. Okay. Here. Hang on. All right. 1411 says, and the smoke of their torment goes up forever and ever. Those who worship the beast and his image. And whoever receives the mark of his name. That's sort of a picture of what eternal torment is right there at the end.
S1: It never stops.
S2: It's never stopping. It's not annihilationism, but it is perpetual suffering.
S1: And and, you know, in Isaiah 56. I think that's interesting. This is not just a New Testament concept. It's also an Old Testament concept. And also there's the verses that Lord Jesus says, where, uh, where the worm doesn't cease, you know, and it's just that it's a forever ever thing. But, uh, and the fire never is quenched. Uh, but in Isaiah, let's see if I can actually find it in Isaiah 56. Uh, I think it is it unless I'm I'm wrong, I'm probably wrong. Uh, but there's a verse in it that also talks about it. It's I'm sorry, Isaiah 66. How's that? Yeah.
S2: That's that sounds good.
S1: That sounds says, uh, they will see the dead bodies of the men who have rebelled against me, for their worm will never die. Their fire will never go out, and they will be a horror to all mankind. So it's not just talking about their bodies there. It's talking about perpetual, eternal separation from God. Uh, Isaiah 66, verse 24. So, uh, let me just I'm going to try and pull this around. One of the most heartbreaking things is that people who were created to have eternal fellowship with God are because of sinfulness and rebellion against God, are going to be separated from him forever. And I have seen too many followers of Jesus kind of. When they get mad at people who don't know the Lord, they kind of gloat about this. You'll see. All right. But this should be the most heartbreaking thing that we've ever, ever encountered in Scripture, and it should be the great motivation that we're going to. Present the good news of Messiah and how much God loves people to everyone. That's what I think is so crucial. This should be not something that we ever are happy about. This is only only something that should motivate us to let the love of God be known to people so they will trust in him. We're going to come back with more questions in just a moment. This is open line. Stay right there. Did you ever feel Christians can't do anything about the growing anti-Semitism in the world? Well, that's why Chosen People Ministries is one of our partners, is offering a free book called Uncommon Allies American Jews and Christians Uniting Against Hitler, 1933 through 45, written by Alan Shore. This book shows the importance and power of Christians standing against anti-Semitism in the past. So will be motivated to do the same in the present and the future. Just go to Openline radio.org. Org. Scroll down until you see the link that says A Free gift from Chosen People Ministries. Click on that and you'll be taken to a page where you can sign up for your very own copy of Uncommon Allies. Sometimes Bible reading can feel like looking at a bunch of puzzle pieces, not quite sure how they fit together. That's where Paul Benware survey of the New Testament comes in. This comprehensive guide helps you understand how each book fits into God's perfect plan. Connecting the dots from the Gospels to Revelation. It's yours. When you give a gift of any size to open line, call (888) 644-7122 or visit open line radio.org. We're back. I'm Michael Ray Zellnik and joining me today is Tricia McMillan. She put together the mailbag. It's an all mailbag all the time Program, and Tricia was concerned. I couldn't answer these questions. And so she also invited Eva Radulovic to be here so that she could make sure that the questions got answered appropriately. I'm glad you're here too, Eva.
S2: So, yeah, here we go. Having a good time.
S3: I love our Bible studies together and I love answering people's questions. So our next one is from Kenneth in Illinois, listens to WNBA. He is looking at John 14 two, which is when Jesus says he's going to prepare a place for us or for for them. Um, and he says, I've been bothered for many years by the translation because there are two different translations on this verse. One says, if it were not, so would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? This makes sense to him, he says. The other translations reverse take away the question to make it a statement and kind of reverse the meaning almost. And it says if it if it were not so, I would have told you. But there are a lot of statements that are not so. And Jesus doesn't tell us those. So which is the more accurate translation?
S1: Well, I'm going to just read it to you. Okay.
S3: Now just to clarify, this is you translating the Greek on the air. Yeah. That's it. Okay.
S1: Uh, in my father's house, there are many rooms. Many people say mansions. No. It's rooms.
S3: Maybe mansions is a nice idea. Yeah, it's.
S1: Actually apartments, to be clear. Dwelling places. All right. And then it says if it were not so, then I would have told you. For I go to prepare a place for you. That's it. Then I would have told you. That's what I would have told you. So that's it? I'm reading it.
S3: But why would he go to the trouble of telling you, hey, I'm going to make a place. Because if I wasn't making a place, I would have told you I wasn't making a place.
S1: He's the one that's been telling them all about eternal life. And if I wasn't going to do this, if you're going to be hanging around, floating on a cloud with your little harp, I would have told you. But no, I'm actually going to prepare a place for you. I'm not leaving you behind. Not to bring you back with me. I'm going to make a place for you. That's why I'm going ahead.
S3: Okay, so I would have told you what was going to happen. Yeah, because if it wasn't this other way. This way that I have been telling you, I would have told you that. Because I would have told you what was actually going to happen.
S2: Yeah, yeah.
S3: That's okay. So I haven't been lying to you this whole time.
S2: Exactly right.
S3: That's basically what he's saying. Yeah. Okay. Well, I hope that clears that up. Kenneth, um, when I saw your question, I was like, yeah, that's a great question. Because even in my notes in my Bible, it has a little footnote that says and some translations say this. And so it is confusing to know which is the right. Why did some put a question mark in there just to make it seem make more sense?
S1: For example, the translation I worked on, which was the CSB once. Once it was all in, the editors were reworking it and making sure everything was right. They had an English stylist who makes sure that it's I mean, it really says the same thing either way, but making it so that that's what they have. They always have an English stylist trying to make sure that it's understandable to the English reader. Okay, to.
S3: To have the least amount of confusion with what they're reading. Okay. All right. So kind of related to that, Nathan in Washington listens to me and wants to know are the kingdom of God and the kingdom of heaven the same thing or are they different? We have Jesus teaching about both. Um, in the New Testament, in the Gospels, are they the same thing or are they different things?
S1: Well, uh, first of all, there are there were interpreters in the early 20th century and late 19th century that treated the kingdom of heaven as it was used in the Gospel of Matthew as something distinct from the From the Kingdom of God in the other gospels. And the problem with that is they don't understand that Matthew was written to Jews, and that Jewish people often used a euphemism for the word God, and the euphemism that was commonly used was heaven, because that's God's abode. So you can talk about where God is. The kingdom of heaven and the kingdom of God are exactly the same thing. Uh, does that make sense? Uh, so.
S3: Yes. So instead of saying his name. Yes. Because he was the one who cannot be named. Yeah. Okay. Yeah. So they would say heaven.
S1: The ineffable name of God, the unpronounceable, unspeakable name of.
S3: God that we talked about last hour.
S2: Yeah.
S1: Then then what you do is you say, uh, heaven.
S2: Heaven, the kingdom of heaven. And you say it's mostly in Matthew where the phrase appears. Yes. Because Matthew is a very Jewish gospel.
S1: Yeah. Writing to Jewish people. And so Matthew is using the euphemism kingdom of heaven. Now, what is the kingdom? The kingdom is the rulership of God. And, uh, what what that refers to. Now there is a sense where God is our ruler, our king, right now. Um, but very often in Scripture, when it talks about what the kingdom of heaven will be like, it's also a very Jewish idea, which is the mouth of God. Uh, when is that going to come? Eva, you should tell us.
S2: The kingdom, the ultimate kingdom. When Messiah comes and reigns on the throne of David for a thousand years. Yeah. So?
S1: So in a sense, we have the beginning of it now.
S2: It's now. Not yet. Yeah. But now. Not yet. Yeah.
S1: Because he's reigning over us spiritually. Mhm. So the kingdom of heaven is among us, right. But one day he's going to be really among us, ruling us at the kingdom of heaven or the kingdom of God. Uh, when he reigns from Jerusalem.
S3: So is it a similar idea to sanctification that we are sanctified? But we are. We are still always in the process of being sanctified. Yeah, it's in the same way, the.
S2: Same kind of idea.
S3: There's a a now lesser version, but there will be a completed version later. I see what you mean in terms of the Kingdom. Yeah, there's.
S1: The the present sanctification, which is a process and ultimate sanctification, which is when we're glorified. Okay.
S3: So in the same way, this, this kingdom, we are in the kingdom of the kingdom.
S1: Spiritually, in this kingdom, obviously, he's reigning over us. He's our king. Okay. Right. But then there will.
S3: Be an ultimate the at the millennial reign. Yeah. The king. The ultimate kingdom of God. Yeah.
S2: The the lion and the lamb are not lying down together. There's no end of war. Now. Right now. Yeah. You know, death is common now. Won't be common then.
S3: Okay. So with this, thinking about the kingdom of God, is this part of with this language or the kingdom of heaven? Is this kind of lumped not lumped. Is this kind of connected to the the king, the reigning ruling king that they were expecting of the Messiah? Yeah. So like his.
S1: Lord Jesus deals with this. They expected the Messiah to come and kick out the Romans and establish peaceful reign with Israel at the head of the nations, and what the Lord Jesus says was right now we've got a spiritual kingdom for you. Okay. Uh, and you can experience spiritual peace if you believe in the Messiah. I will reign over you now, but ultimately I'm going to return, and then I'm going to establish that kingdom of peace on earth. Okay. And so that. That's what it is. Okay.
S3: Yeah. All right. Thank you.
S2: And I think that's a little bit of why why Jesus is talking about in the, in the least, uh, favorite promise to claim in John 1633 when he says these things, I have spoken to you so that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But but be encouraged. I have overcome the world.
S1: Yeah. He's our king.
S2: He's our king now. Right.
S3: All right. Thank you for that question, Nathan. Randolph in South Carolina, listen to the Good News Network. Um, and says that Paul appeals to Caesar in acts because of his Roman citizenship. The Jewish people bring Jesus before Pontius Pilate. Um, who was Roman? Right. Roman ruler. Okay. So was Jesus a Roman citizen also? Pontius Pilate gave his verdict that he found no laws of Rome were broken by Jesus. What was Paul born in Rome? I mean, like, what's the difference between the two that he could claim that? Could could any Jewish person under this Roman jurisdiction that they were living in claim that.
S1: Only American, an American, would ask this.
S2: Question.
S1: Because we have birthright citizenship if we're born in America. Yeah, we're citizens of America, right? It's the Roman Empire. Did not have birthright citizenship. Okay?
S2: Yeah. If you were born in the Roman Empire, it didn't give you birthright citizenship.
S3: Yeah. So then how was Paul, a Roman citizen?
S1: Well, either. Probably his father purchased it. Oh, uh, there were certain things that you could do. Remember when Paul says that he's a Roman citizen citizen, and he says, uh, you you purchased your citizenship? I think he says to a centurion, but I was born a citizen. So probably his father purchased it. And and Paul was born into that because it is passed down to your children. Okay. But, uh, everyone is born in the Roman Empire. Was not a citizen. Sometimes the emperors would grant soldiers from other countries that joined the Roman army citizenship as a gift for, uh, you know, they didn't get the GI Bill. What they got was, was citizenship. Okay. And the And the privileges of that. So he was under the Lord. Jesus was under the governance of Rome because Rome was governing Judea. And that's why he was brought to Pontius Pilate. Someone would say governance. Some would say oppression. But nevertheless, they were governing authority in Judea. Um, on the other hand, he was not a citizen. Uh, so he could not have claimed I appeal to Caesar, as Paul did. Okay. Uh, later on in the book of acts, because he was. Paul could do that because he was a Roman citizen. But the Lord Jesus was just a he was Jewish from Israel.
S3: Okay. And had not purchased a Roman citizenship.
S2: And there were certain there were certain, um, Roman cities, cities that they had jurisdiction over where the people who were from those cities had colonies. Yeah. Colonies that had citizenship. Yeah. Okay. Like Tarsus or like Philippi. There were I don't.
S1: Know if Tarsus was was a colony, but Philippi.
S2: Philippi. Yeah. So, so.
S3: But the the land of Israel was not.
S2: Was not okay.
S3: All right.
S1: Thank you.
S3: That helpful. Yes.
S1: Very and sherwin-white Roman citizenship and law I think. Yeah. Right. Is the name of the book. Anyway, uh, we're going to come right back with more of your questions. These are such great questions about the Lord Jesus. Maybe we'll have more, I don't know, but the questions about the Bible, God and the spiritual life. So don't go away. This is Michael, Eva and Trisha answering your questions. We'll be right back. We're so glad that Febc partners with Open Line with Doctor Michael, bringing the Febc mailbag every week. Learn how Far East Broadcasting Company is taking Christ to the world at febc. Org on their weekly podcast. Until all have heard with Ed Cannon, you'll hear stories of lives changed by Messiah all across the globe. Again. You can hear the podcast when you visit febc. Dot org. That's facebook.org. Welcome back to our total mailbag program today of Open Line. Uh, Eva Dolnick is here with me and so is Trish McMillan. And you have contributed greatly by sending in all these questions. And so we're going to try and get right back to it. Tricia what have we got next?
S3: All right. David from Illinois listens to me and said, I recently heard about a deliverance ministry and the main scripture that they use to support the power to cast out demons is from Mark 16 verse 17. Is this verse speaking to all believers, or was it just for certain believers?
S1: Well what? Mark 16 verse 17 says, uh, has to do with us casting out demons. Now, before we do anything else, let me explain what deliverance ministry is. It generally says that when we keep on sinning, it's because there are demons controlling believers. The Bible says greater is he who is in you than he is in the world. I don't think that certainly demons and Satan can have influence, oppress, attack believers, but I do not believe they. It's reasonable to cast demons out of followers of Jesus because God possesses us, not demons. And so, uh, the, the verse that he's speaking of these signs will accompany those who believe in my name. They will drive out demons. Well, that doesn't say whether it's in believers or not. Now, the problem with deliverance ministry is it does say that it is driving demons out of followers of Jesus. And so I think that's one problem. Second issue is this is an interesting passage because it is part of the Addendum, so to speak, that some scribe put onto the gospel of Mark. And it's I don't believe it's part of the earliest and best manuscripts. And the footnote in mine says in this bracketed area it says verses nine through 20. Many manuscripts omit bracketed text. So that's what I would say. However, one of the most important lessons about deliverance ministry I find in the book of Ephesians when it talks about us being involved in spiritual warfare. When I look at that passage in Ephesians six, it doesn't say that we are to. Cast out demons. It says, this is why you must take up the full armor of God, so that you may be able to resist in the evil day. And then it even use uses the word stand or stand against, which is the same root as resist. In this passage. And then. Ever. Ever.
S2: What was that? Wait, wait, what was. What was that Ephesians passage for people to write down at home?
S1: It's Ephesians chapter six, verses 13 and following. Yep. And then you've got a verse for us too, don't you?
S2: I do, I do. Um, in first Peter it says chapter five, uh, first Peter chapter five, verse eight and nine, it says, be sober. Be of sober spirit. Be on the alert. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experienced suffering is being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world.
S1: So what are you supposed to do when when he seeks to devour us?
S2: It doesn't say cast out. What does it say? Resist.
S1: Don't remove. Resist.
S2: Resist, resist. And what are you supposed to be firm in your faith.
S1: Yeah, but what's the key word, though?
S2: Resist.
S1: And.
S3: Tricia. Yeah. James four seven says, therefore, submit to God. But resist the devil and he will flee from you. And then verse eight says, draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.
S1: Yeah. Okay. But resist.
S3: The devil, and he will flee from.
S1: You. Exactly. So when we talk about spiritual warfare, Ephesians six first Peter five James four, it's not remove the devil and then you won't sin. What is.
S3: It?
S1: Resist, resist, resist. Stand against. And how do we resist? We resist with the Word of God. We can even quote it. We can resist.
S3: Well, and that's what Jesus did at his temptation. Exactly. He quoted the word of God back.
S1: And we can resist, uh, by putting on the armor of God. Uh, there are so many things we can do, but what we can't do is we can't cast out the flesh. But we can resist the enemy. So that's, uh, by the way, I just think that's one of the great lessons that we. It's easy to say, I was just going to cast out this demon, and then I won't have the, you know, problem with gluttony anymore. No. Go on a diet. There we go.
S3: So thank you for that question, David. Related to this, Sharon wrote us on Facebook and wanted to know what the reasoning behind the order of putting on each piece of the armor of God is in Ephesians six. Um, she has prayed, starting head to toe, but that doesn't seem to be what the Bible is teaching. Can you kind of go through what the. Is there a reasoning behind the order in Ephesians six verses 13?
S1: Well, I'm not sure if the I can say that there's an exact order, but I think when it says put on the armor of God, wouldn't you say it's much more of a practical lifestyle than praying something on? We don't pray on the armor. What we do is, Uh, it says stand or, uh, the idea of resist against stand, therefore with truth like a belt. So what we need to do is live our lives based on the truth, and then, uh, righteousness. Like armor. Like armor on your chest. We have to, uh, I think, experience righteousness, which would be justification by faith in Jesus and then living in accordance with that. Uh, and have our feet. You can go through it sandaled with readiness of the gospel. So we have to be ready to go and tell anyone about Jesus. These are lifestyle situations. So often people think, if I just pray this, then I'm safe in in spiritual warfare. No, this requires a lifestyle that affects how we, the way we live, is how we will be successful in spiritual warfare.
S2: Yeah, and I think it think it has to do just exactly like you say that it is. It is a lifestyle that allows us to stand firm. I think that's that's the big word that we see over here in this.
S1: Which is related to the word.
S2: Resist. The word resist. Right. And I don't think that it's like you say, it's not like a, it's not like a, a code for how you should be, what you should do for a second and third. I think these are all things that should be done all the time.
S1: Normal lifestyle, normal lifestyle. What I think is so funny is that people would like I think this is just my nature. I'm not trying to criticize others. I would like an easy answer to the issue of sin.
S2: Yes, I.
S1: Would like I would like it. Just, you know, if I just.
S3: Take this pill and you won't see anymore, I.
S1: Just pray on this, this, these things and I'll be I'll be good, you know? But this is talking about having a transformed life, which happens through prayer, I think is one of those spiritual disciplines, but other spiritual disciplines as well that as we practice spiritual disciplines, God uses that so that we can live a righteous life as we do. As we practice spiritual disciplines and seek openings to share the gospel, we have our feet shod with the gospel of peace.
S2: So I think another thing that's interesting about this passage is that it it it's so many of these different items are quotations from the book of Isaiah. Oh, yeah. I think that is very interesting too, because it shows that, you know, all the Bible is important, all the Bible is applicable. We need to spend time in it to get to know him in order to stand firm.
S1: I think sometimes Paul was reading Isaiah when he wrote that I wonder too.
S3: So anyway.
S1: But yeah, that's that's I think the key I've heard many people say just pray on the armor of God. Well, you can do it. It's not going to help. What you have to do is live the armor of God. And that comes with, uh, practicing spiritual disciplines.
S3: All right. Thank you for that.
S1: Yeah. Let's take a break. All right. We're going to come back with more of your questions In just a moment. Uh, this is open line. It's an old mailbag program, so you can't call today. But even right down here, she's answering questions. Tricia is asking and also answering questions. Appreciate that. Uh, and I'm going to be right back. I'm Michael Ray Dominic. You're listening to open I. We're all going to be back. So don't go away. Welcome back to Open Line. Tricia McMillan is here with me. I'm Michael Ray Melnick, and Trish is asking the questions you've sent in. Eva Ray is here as well. Answering questions with me. She is my my ultimate kitchen table partner. Because we study the Bible together, sometimes at the kitchen counter. Sometimes we have a bar in our kitchen and sometimes at our kitchen table. We read together. And that's that's always so fun. And I think that's what the whole idea that we have of kitchen table partners, people who listen regularly, sit around the radio kitchen table, they study the Bible with me every week, and I'm so grateful for them listening. And then some have decided to become, uh, official kitchen table partners by committing to give monthly to Open Line so we can stay on the air weekly with our Bible study across America. And I think that that is so crucial and so helpful. I'm so grateful for it. Some of you might consider becoming kitchen table partners, and the way to do that is just by going to our website, online radio.org or calling (800) 864-4712 two. When you sign up, I'll send you a Bible study moment prepared exclusively for our kitchen table partners. I think you'll really enjoy that again. Call 4712, two or just go to Open Line Radio.
S3: All right. Our next question is actually I'm combining two questions. One from Kristen in Tennessee. One from Gordon in Florida, who are both trying to talk with friends about their faith. And their friends are raising concerns and saying that the Bible is untrustworthy because it's been edited so many times that you can't trust what it says, or that they've made up stuff after the fact that's been put into the Bible. Um, how could they respond to this? And are there any resources you would recommend that would help assess the accuracy of the Bible to show that inerrancy and that it's trustworthy?
S1: Well, I'm going to just say Eva's like she's so big on history and geography. And yeah.
S2: I think that's one of the reasons that we can have real confidence in our faith is because it is based in time and history, geography. But as far as the as the manuscripts themselves, the reliability of the manuscripts. I'll just talk about the Old Testament for just a minute. Michael can maybe pick it up on the new. But I think one of the greatest evidences for the reliability and accuracy of the scriptures as we have it was the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls. And they were discovered in 1947, in Qumran by the Dead Sea. And those manuscripts that had been hidden there before the Roman destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D. these manuscripts date back to, say, 200 BC, B.C., 200 years before the Messiah came. They are virtually the manuscripts that have been found and translated word for word, for the documents that we have in our Bibles today. They're very little.
S1: Difference. And before that, the earliest Old Testament was like.
S2: About 1100 A.D..
S1: Yeah, about a thousand, let's say. So. So it threw back the manuscripts more than a thousand years. And they're still the.
S2: Same, and they're the same.
S1: So there wasn't any corruption that was happening. Now you could find there's a textual variant or this or that, but that's the great thing. One of the reasons why the New Testament, I could say is accurate is that we have so many manuscripts. Right? And with all these manuscripts, you can see the variants. But even when there's a variant, it's so textual criticism, it only affects less than 1% of the New Testament in terms of anything. And even then it's so easy. So it might be something about it might say our or your and they are used synonymously. That's a good bit of the differences. And then there are things when we look at those manuscripts, if I sent you ten notes written by ten students and they all say, happy birthday, Tricia, and each one spells happy birthday wrong, but in a different way. Okay, we still know what the original note that they copied said, which was happy birthday. Happy birthday. And that's what we have. We have so many variants with the New Testament, so many manuscripts. When we put them all together, we know what this original was. So it is accurate and strong.
S2: Yeah. If there are two, two books that you want to think about that you might want to pick up and read for yourself. It's one is seven Reasons Why We Can Trust the Bible by Doctor Erwin Lutzer, published by Moody Press. And if you want to go publishers, Moody publishers. I'm living in the past. Yeah. And and also Josh McDowell's book on evidence that a man's verdict has a very strong presentation of the reliability of the New Testament and Old Testament text, the.
S1: New evidence that demands a.
S3: Verdict, the new evidence. Because that's a revised version, right? Okay. The new evidence that demands a verdict by Josh McDowell and seven reasons Why we can trust the Bible by Erwin Lutzer. Mhm. Okay. All right. Thank you for that. Our next question is kind of related. Um, James in South Carolina says Paul states to Timothy that all scripture is given by inspiration of God. But it seems he could have only been referring to the Old Testament, right? So based on that, he's in the New Testament because otherwise it's a source quoting a source. But why do we assume then, that the New Testament is inspired? Um, and then do we have evidence that God guided the hands when selecting the canon? So when when determining which books went into the Bible, how do we know that that's.
S1: Well, one of the things that that one of my favorite verses in First Peter is where Peter talks about Paul's writings and what he says. Let's see.
S2: Second Peter three.
S1: Second Peter three. Yeah. Verse 16. Uh, he says uh, about uh, just as our dear brother Paul has written to you, according to the wisdom given to him, he speaks about these things in all his letters, in which there are some matters that are hard to understand. Well, yeah, I've read Romans. There are hard things in there. Uh, the untaught and unstable twist them to their own destruction, as they also do with the rest of the scriptures. So what is Peter doing with Paul's writings? He's equating them with the rest of the scriptures. So here we have a very early epistle by the Apostle Peter, and he recognizes the Apostle Paul's writings as Scripture. And so, you know, when Paul says, all Scripture is inspired, whether he was just mainly talking about the Old Testament or not, uh, that's one thing. But he also is included in Scripture himself by the apostle Paul. Uh, Peter, Apostle Peter. Right. So, uh, I think that is one of the things that is really important to see that the whole New Testament was considered inspired. Uh, and.
S2: Yes, and also like really early in this, in this very chapter, the first couple verses of Second Peter three says, this is now beloved, the second letter I am writing to you, in which I am stirring up your sincere mind by way of a reminder that you should remember the words spoken beforehand by the holy prophets. That'd be like the Old Testament, right? And the commandment of the Lord and Savior spoken by your apostles. So it's linking the the reliability and scriptural nature of the Old and New Testament. Yeah.
S1: And then Paul writes, this is kind of interesting because in first Timothy. Uh, second Timothy 316, we've got that he's talking about the Old Testament. But in first Timothy 518 he says, uh, for the Scripture says, do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain.
S4: Green.
S1: That's actually Deuteronomy 25 four is from the Torah, and the worker is worthy of his wages. That's Luke ten seven. So what Paul is saying, the Scripture says, what does he include both Old Testament and New Testament? So that's important.
S3: All right. And then what, um, how do we know? Do we have evidence that when selecting the canon and the books that belong in there, that God was guiding the hands that did that?
S5: Well, it just seems to me.
S1: How do you know when a book is in the canon is if it's inspired? And when the books were written, they were immediately received by the churches as inspired scripture. And that's what what it was. So that by the time you come to the late fourth century, when Athanasius gives his Easter letter, he is not determining the canon. He is recognizing what has been the canon. You can see it, by the way, the Church Fathers have quoted the scriptures and they recognize the New Testament. They quote virtually every New Testament book as scripture. Okay.
S2: Let me just say, I encourage you to pick up Pastor Luther's book on the seven reasons why we can trust the Bible and understand what he's saying there. And don't look to Dan Brown in The Da Vinci Code for the origin of the canon or any of that, because Dan Brown and Da Vinci Code completely, completely wrong. Mhm.
S3: All right. Thank you.
S1: Yeah.
S3: Well do you want to try and squeeze this.
S1: I'll answer so quick.
S3: Okay. Sharon in Indiana wants to say she appreciates the program. Matthew 121 Joseph is directed to name the baby Jesus. Um, and it cites Isaiah where the name they're supposed to name him is Emmanuel. Why do we address him as Jesus instead of Emmanuel?
S1: Well, Emmanuel was a throne title, just like in second Samuel 1224, Solomon was given the throne title of Jedidiah or Friend of God. So that Is is why Immanuel is a throne title, but Jesus is the personal name that he was to give. But let me just say, Jesus as the Messiah is still Emmanuel, not just at Christmas time. He is always God with us if we put our trust in him. If we believe that he died for our sins and rose again, he will be Messiah in us. He will live in us and never leave us. That's the good news, isn't it? Well, we're going to say goodbye now. Yes. Can't believe the program is over. But it is. Keep in touch with open line. First of all, thanks, Eva. Thanks, Trish, for for joining for this day. And also check out our website open Line radio.org has all the links you're looking for. Keep reading the Bible. We'll talk about it next week. Open line with Doctor Michael is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute. See you next week.