S1: Do you have a question about the Bible? Do you ever wonder what we can know and understand about God? Or maybe you're struggling with an issue in your walk with the Lord. Would like some biblical guidance. Well, that's why we're here. You're in the right place. We want to help you understand God's Word, understand the God that we love and serve. Hello, friends. It's open line time with Doctor Michael Riddell. Nick Moody, radio's Bible study all the way across America. The phone number this morning to get involved in the program is (877) 548-3675. Write it down (877) 548-3675. And if you say doctor Ray, Nick sounds funny this morning, that's because I am not Michael Riddell. Nick I am Mike Fabares sitting in today for Michael Redlick. And I'm coming to you live in the windy City of Chicago, which happens to be very windy this morning. Many stations here carrying the program across Moody Radio were sitting around as Doctor Riddell likes to say, in the kitchen table, talking about the Bible, talking about God, talking about your Christian life. I'm the pastor of the Compass Bible Church in Aliso Viejo, California. Also happened to be a graduate of Moody Bible Institute, just like Michael Ray Melnick. And if you've heard my voice before, it may be because you've listened to Focal Point right here on Moody Radio. Authored a number of books, some for Moody Publishing, which I hope they're happy about. We're we're we're actually talking about a new book. I won't I will just tease you with that. We're talking about a new book right now with Moody Publishing, and we're excited about the possibility there. Anyway, I'm here today and Doctor Riddell is on stage. He's about to get up on stage to pass out diplomas and degrees at Moody Bible Institute's graduation, and so I am happy to sit in for him today as he's doing very important things. Our phone number again, if you have a question about the Bible, the Christian life, something on your mind that I can be helpful to get you to think through it biblically? You've got to call me. So right now we got a couple lines still open (877) 548-3675. Get it again. 877. That's a toll free area. Code 5483675. Or if you want to, you can send your questions through our open line website. That's open line radio.org. No spaces, no dashes, just open line radio.org. And you can fill out that little section that says Ask Michael a question. And if you do that, it'll come to us. We'll put it in our mailbag, and Trish McMillan will haul it in here in just a little bit, and we'll answer it on the air. We got Omar, uh, working on our engineering. Karen is here answering the phone. So that's the sweet voice you'll hear if you call us. And that number again, if you want to talk to her and then talk to me, it's (877) 548-3675. So I hope you got your coffee, your tea. Or if you're, you know, who knows what you're drinking this morning, Something's going to make you think clearly. Uh, get your Bible out. Pull your phones out. Get ready to study the scriptures together. We're excited to do this today. And I love sitting in for doctor Ray Melnick. And I love doing the show here. And whenever he's out, he's not out very often. This guy stays healthy. He's he's here like like old faithful doing his work and we love him. But today, just a little curveball we're throwing you. Mike Faber is sitting in for doctor Ray. Let's get going. We might as well do. Let's talk to Robert in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. You're on the air with pastor Mike. How can I help? Robert, are you there? Okay, let's go to Lorraine in Carmel, Indiana. Lorraine, you're on the air with pastor Mike. How can I help?
S2: Nice to talk to you today. Hey, my question is, can you hear me?
S1: I can hear you just fine. Lorraine.
S2: Yes. Um, a couple weeks ago, we attended a funeral for my sister in law, And, um, I am not sure that the rest of the family is ready to join her in heaven. So how is the best way for me to share with my nephews, um, how they could get to heaven without offending and causing a rift?
S1: Well, I don't know that that is possible. And Jesus told us that it's going to be hard to share the truth of the gospel with people. So, number one, I take that off the priority. What we want to focus on is sharing the gospel with respect and gentleness, which sounds like Lorraine. That should be no problem for you. And I would just say to them, listen, I got to tell you, it is very important that we get ready for the next life. And you may think it's just grandma or your great aunt or whatever, just trying to give you old fashioned information. This is not old fashioned. This is as relevant as every funeral that is conducted in our county today, and that is that you're ready to meet your maker. And I want to make sure you spend eternity with them and with me. And I want to I want to tell you the good news that your sins have been paid for by Christ. So you want to approach it that way. Just give them the sense that you care about them. Make sure they don't put it in a category of this is just old fashioned grandma's stuff. Make sure that they understand this is something true for every human being, and the only reason you've got to share with them is because you care about where they're going to spend eternity. And if you start with that, and then you get them in a context where maybe you're eating a meal or you're just they're on a couch, you know, sitting next to each other talking. I think that's the best we can do because Jesus said, right, he's going to he's going to divide families up if we're faithful to share his message. And it's not the good news part that they struggle with, right? If you say, I got to guarantee that you'll go to heaven, they love that part. It's that you have to share the bad news before we get to the good news. And that's the part that's. It's like saying, hey, I want to tell someone they're dressed all wrong for this event. How do I say that without offending them. Well, sometimes you can't do it. You know, you're going to say you're not dressed, right? And that's the parable Jesus told someone at a wedding reception, not dressed properly. You got to leave or, you know, you got to change. And this is the problem. People don't like that change. So Lorraine, gentleness, respect and honesty and make sure you tell them this isn't an old person thing. This is not a traditional thing. This is not yesteryear religion. This is as relevant as today. Every human being needs to get right with their maker. Does that help?
S2: That sounds. It helps immensely. I wrote written notes. What? You're suggesting we talk to them rather than write them a letter?
S1: Yeah, I would, I mean, if it's possible, if you're separated by distance, you know, that's different. Yes. And listen, I wouldn't mind you writing out some things that relate to the gospel, right? God is holy. He's creator. He's just. He's loving. We have a sin problem. Jesus came to solve it. You can write all that and leave it with them. But I'd certainly start with a with a face to face conversation and tell them it's because I care about you. It's because I love you, and I care about where you're going to be a thousand years from now. So I think that's the way to start. Okay.
S2: Oh thank you Mike. I really appreciate.
S1: It. All right. Lorraine, I love the fact that you called in today with such an important question to lead off the program. Thank you so much. All right. Many of our listeners will pray for you in that conversation. Let's try Robert again. Line one, Fort Lauderdale, you're on the air with pastor Mike. How can I help?
S3: Yeah. Can you hear me this time?
S1: I can hear you this time.
S3: Okay. Uh, the cross, the ornament that they have in the sanctuary, ranging anywhere from 4ft to 20ft. Uh, on some sanctuaries, the cross will have on the cross beam a white cloth draped over it. You know what I'm talking about, I do. Where did that tradition come from? And what is the name of that cloth?
S1: Well, I'd have to look up the name of the cloth, but it came as a tradition. A white cloth on a cross that was given as a as a symbol of the resurrection centuries ago, where people have said here the cloth is representing a conquering the grave. Now, sometimes churches who had Good Friday services will put a red cloth over the cross, and then on Sunday they would bring a white cloth, and they would adorn the cross with that white cloth to show that he dies. The red, of course, representing his death and his blood, and the white representing the fact that he accomplished our righteousness and has risen from the dead and conquered the grave. So that's why that dramatic change in a service that's only three days apart. That was the tradition, and I'd have to look up the name for it. I don't I don't even remember that there was a name for it. I'm sure there is. But that's where that came from. Now a lot of people will adorn their crosses only for Easter and Good Friday. And the rest of the time, if it's a Protestant church, they just take take that down and some of them may leave it up for a while. And if it's up year round, well, that would be unique. I have not seen that in at least the churches that I've been in.
S3: All right.
S1: That help?
S3: Well, when are you going to find the name of it, or do I have to call one again?
S1: Well, you know what? Uh, you know what? Hold on.
S3: I do listen to you during the weekdays. Okay. I mean, if you throw it out there during the weekdays, I'll catch it.
S1: You know what? During the break, I will look this up and I'll tell you what. Uh, I'll make sure and mention it right after the break. How's that? Okay. Keep listening today, Robert. Okay. Let's go to line four. Morris, you're on the air with pastor Mike Faber is sitting in for Doctor Melnick. How can I help?
S4: Yes, I'd like to know. You know, according to the Bible, if we put anything ahead of God, it's almost like worshiping a false idol.
S1: Correct.
S4: And I'm understand. Can sports be considered an idol by the way we go for sports ahead of everything?
S1: Yes, absolutely. Sports. Uh, computers, uh, art, uh, riding bicycles, uh, anything can become a greater priority. And, uh, you know, you've said it, and I think we set people up. And let me just let me get on my soapbox now that you brought it up. Okay. I think parents set up the next generation when they're willing to tell their kids, hey, I know soccer. You know, it's just soccer season. But it's okay. We can miss church. We can miss, you know, the kids program or Awana or whatever. Just. We're just going to do this. And they learn that sports is more important than God or worshiping or assembling for a sermon. So I think parents need to help the next generation understand gathering together is more important than forsaking it for other things. Right. And of course, every now and then we have to take a vacation or traveling across the country or whatever. But even then, I remember raising our kids and saying, I don't care where we're at, we're going to find a church and go to church. But I'll tell you what we need to show that God, the assembling of the people together, the worship of Jesus Christ, the preaching of the word, way more important than anything else. So yes, it can be a problem. I remember reading old sermons from Chrysostom way back in the day, and he was preaching there in what is modern day Turkey. And he used to talk about how the chariot races, uh, in the, uh, this Byzantine Empire had become too important to his congregation and that they were willing to put all their energy and effort into the chariot races. And I think that is as relevant, even though it may be, you know, 16 or 1700 years old. It's as relevant as us sitting here today where people are more excited about a football game or a baseball game than they are about Jesus Christ. So I have no problem saying that's exactly, uh, one idol that's very popular in our day. You've seen that, haven't you?
S4: So, you know, when you go to these sporting events, you see all these people in the stands standing in long lines, and they can't find nobody in church hardly anymore these.
S1: Days, I hear you, I hear you, and this is happening slowly. And we've seen that. So, Maurice, you keep preaching that message and tell people Jesus is more important than any sport. It's more important than any hobby. It's more important than walking the dog and going and getting your coffee in the morning. It's more important than anything else. We need to put Jesus Christ first. Thanks for that reminder, Maurice. We got to move on. Here. Take a quick break. I'm sitting in for Doctor Michael Ray Melnick. You're listening to Moody Open Line on Moody Radio. The phone number (877) 548-3675. And I'd love to get you on the next segment. So call that number (877) 548-3675. We've got some important things to tell you about opportunities coming up. Coming up.
S5: Biblical literacy is essential for spiritual growth. Many of us struggle with unfamiliar terms and titles in Scripture. The Ultimate Bible Dictionary bridges that gap with clear definitions of hundreds of biblical people, places, and objects. When you give a gift of any size to open line, we want to say thanks by sending you the ultimate Bible Dictionary. Call 886447122 or visit openline. Radio org.
S1: Well, welcome back to Open Line with Doctor Michael Riedel. My name is Mike Fabares, and we were just before the break talking to Robert at least a couple calls ago, talking about the name of the cloth that is draped over the cross during, uh, as I've looked it up during lent, also in the liturgical churches and, uh, Good Friday and on Resurrection Sunday. Well, he asked when it started. Well, let's just talk about the name of it. Sometimes it's just called the Resurrection Cloth. Uh, if it is, uh, in a high church, sometimes it's called the liturgical cross. Um, that's what it's called. And usually now they will say either a crimson or a purple is what they dress it in during Passion Week. And then a black cloth is sometimes used for Good Friday. And then a white cloth is displayed on Easter Sunday. Now, when did it start? Early church didn't even use the cross as a symbol for the first 400 years or so. But the medieval period, they started to veil their crosses in different ways. And during the Reformation 500 years ago, of course, they got rid of a lot of the symbolism, which was fine with me. I'm a bit of an iconoclast myself. That's the word they use for saying, let's just minimize the symbolism in worship. And the modern practice. You'll see purple during Lent and Palm Sunday, black in some churches, or red on Good Friday and white on Easter Sunday. So, Robert, that's what they call it. You want to know the name liturgical cloth, sometimes the altar veil or the resurrection cloth or victory cloth. Some call it. And I hope that helps you. All right, let's go back to the phones. Let's talk to coy in Cleveland, line five, you're on the air with pastor Mike Faber. How can I help?
S6: Hello.
S1: Yes, yes I can. What's your question today?
S6: Uh, I have a question about on the book of Genesis. So when it talks about even the snake, me and my buddy were talking about it and we couldn't find where it was, talking about where God talked to Eve and Adam, we could only find where it was like talking to Adam. I was wondering if you could break that down for me.
S1: Yeah, well, let's go back to the text itself. Um, certainly. God did talk to Eve directly in Genesis three during, uh, what is called the curse. But let me open up here in Genesis and, uh, all of the commands not to eat this clearly directed for both Adam and Eve. So if that's the concern, you know, it was something that Adam was supposed to do to make sure that he and his wife did not eat of this, but to minimize her sin. Because if I'm trying to follow your logic here, you might think, well, if God didn't directly tell Eve, maybe the command wasn't as clear. Please remember everything about the marriage in the garden before the fall was perfect. And in that sense, there's no gaming, there's no half truths. There's no misunderstandings. I mean, everyone understood everything. If God says, uh, don't eat from the tree, right? I mean, then that certainly is the command that Adam and Eve would both understand came with all the authority of heaven. So, um. Yeah, as I look through the text here in Genesis one and two, uh, all the direction here, of course, applies to both of them. And, um, you know, I just think that is something we have to say. Didn't come with any confusion or didn't come with any kind of, um, you know, of mitigation of of the story. Right? They were told they can't eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. And that was clear. And God commanded, even though it does say in Genesis 216 to the man, you may surely eat of the tree of the garden, right? Um, but you can't eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. It applies to both the man and the woman. It's an interesting thing you bring up, and I'm going to go back through this on my own and consider all of that. But still, I know that because of the perfection of the garden, this command came with full authority, clarity, and that, you know, Eve, clearly in the New Testament, is described as sinning and diving into transgression because she was deceived, knew what was right, and did what was wrong instead. So where did you go with that? Coy, because it's interesting that you make this observation. What what was the implication of making that observation?
S6: Well, we were looking at it and we were confused and we started talking about it. And he brought up the fact, you know, as you said, he talked to the man and we didn't think of it as a perfect place at the time. Yeah, it's an interesting point of view. And now that I think of it like that, it makes a lot more sense. But we were thinking maybe like Adam being a man didn't really talk too much to Eve about it.
S1: Oh, I get it now. Yeah. Right. Right. And that's exactly what I tried to say. We can't project the way that we might talk to our wives or fail to talk to our wives, uh, in the perfect setting of the garden. And I'm looking at Genesis three when Eve comes up, uh, here. And Satan is tempting her. Right? He says, Did God actually say. And and the woman repeats the command. Yeah. She said, yeah. God said, you shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that's in the midst of the garden. Neither shall you touch it, lest you die. Now that is intensifying what God actually says, right? But think of think about it. She knew what was said, and clearly it was communicated to her. And I just think because we're looking at a narrative synopsis like a truncated short narrative of what happened, I don't think there's any doubt that that God made this clear to her as well. Um.
S6: All right.
S1: Yeah, but I get it, I get it. And I know I'm I'm imagining and filling in the blanks, but I do know she's able to repeat the command and even intensify it in Genesis chapter three. So. Ah. Yeah. Yep. It's not. It's not like our marriages where we fail to tell our wives many things. Because I know what that's about. Thanks for that call. That's very thoughtful and interesting and helpful for us to all think about. Let's go to line 6th June right here in Chicago. You're on the air with pastor Mike Fabares. How can I help?
S7: Thank you. Pastor. Yes, I've been reading in acts 14 about Paul being stoned, and I see some similarity between him and Stephen. Was Paul actually dead? And the God revived him, and did he go to the third heaven at that time?
S1: I don't think so. And I remember preaching through this passage and thinking about this. As a matter of fact, strangely enough, I watched a video that I received from somebody about an actual stoning in the modern era. And I do know this. It is such a horrific way to die. And of course, there's throwing stones of all different sizes, maybe as large as a baseball. If this is painful and you can see that a man might be left for dead, but not truly been dead, I think Paul, when he was caught up, as it says in Second Corinthians 12, uh, he was not because he was in an injury or in a coma or in some kind of, uh, health crisis. I think this is about God making clear to him some things. And I just don't imagine, as I read both those passages in very close detail, that it was something that came out of a medical crisis. So I wouldn't go there and try and insert those two passages together. Uh, and I do think they dragged him out. Supposing he was dead. That's what it says in acts 1419. So I don't think he died. I don't think his spirit left his body, because that is the definition of death. When the spirit leaves the body and, uh, we see that all the way back to Genesis. But no, I don't think he was dead. I think, as the text is careful to say. And remember Luke, who is writing this traveling companion of Paul, he's a doctor, and he uses that word. Uh, supposing he was dead. So I don't think he was. Does that help, June?
S7: Well, it does help me. Do you have time for another question?
S1: Yeah. Lay it on me.
S7: Well, in acts, it talks a lot about the Holy Spirit giving direction to the apostles and the Christians. And it seems like he talked to them, um, you know, out loud. Is that true? Well, how did he communicate? And then they fasted and prayed. And the spirit. It seems like his voice told them what to do, where to go.
S1: Yeah. And that's that goes back to the title of the book, The Acts of the apostles. Even this from the very beginning, this record of the early church. Think about it now, without a written New Testament revelation was supposed to give us a very special window into the founding of the church and God miraculously working through the apostles. Now, even by the second century, the early church would talk about the times of the apostles and, you know, the miracles of the apostles Apostolic age. And so this was a very unique period of time. And God was doing unique things, including the way that God would, um, communicate with his church. Now, I read some of the later chapters, and I remember preaching through this book and thinking, okay, now it says the Lord guided him here or guided him there. Sometimes it's clear, like the Macedonian call when he's in Troas, it's obvious he gets a vision and he calls it that. Or like Peter getting that vision there in acts chapter ten. Those things are clear. But when it comes to like the Lord directed him here or there, it leaves me shrugging my shoulders, but thinking, probably because we have a very special group of people like Elijah and Elisha who are getting very special revelation from God, direct revelation, and then leading the school of the prophets who would later write the Bible. And now we can all look to the Bible, which the Bible says is God's breathed word, and it is the direction you read Psalm 119 and realize we go to the Bible, the written word for his voice, for his direction. But in those days they hadn't written the New Testament yet. These are the early days of the church. So I do think we've got a lot of special things going on in the book of acts. We shouldn't think that's normative. I shouldn't sit around and say, well, I want to be an apostle. I'd like to hear from God the way they did. I think we're more like we see in Second Corinthians chapter two, when Paul says he was uneasy in his spirit because he couldn't find Titus. So even though there was an open door of ministry again in Troas, he didn't go through it. And I think we all have that experience. The spirit can give us a sense of this isn't the right thing. And that's so subtle and it's so deep within our hearts, and we've got to check it against the Word of God. But that's very different than what we're reading about usually in the book of acts. So I think it was I will leave room for that. The voice of God, sometimes audible, sometimes in clear ways. It's hard for me to explain, but not something I should teach the church to expect in our Christian life because we have the light of God's Word. 27 books of the New Testament guiding us every day. We should memorize it. We should meditate on it. And it's going to give us the voice of God as we as we read it and study it. Does that help, June?
S7: Oh, yes. Thank you so much. Bless you.
S1: Thank you June. Bless you too. And from June to Jane, let's go to Jane. Line seven, you're on the air with pastor Mike Fabares. How can I help?
S8: Hey, I found you. Yay!
S1: Yay!
S8: Um. Hey, uh, after these questions, this one might. If you say nothing, no questions. Too stupid. So here we go.
S1: Yes, I have said that many times. Go ahead, go ahead.
S8: You have.
S1: I have.
S8: But after the. After this morning. This doesn't sound too smart. Um. One Samuel, one Samuel 25. The last two verses I was reading that I've been reading through Samuel. And, um. Since when? I don't remember anybody. Just taking a wife away and giving her to somebody else. David was married to my my Mike McCall. How to pronounce.
S1: Your name right.
S8: Michael married these other two women, and then all of a sudden, uh, um, what's his name? His father in law. Uh, Saul. Saul took her away. Yeah. Yeah. Took her away. How did that happen?
S1: Yeah. There's a lot about.
S8: Married her to somebody.
S1: Else. Yeah. That's right. Well, if you remember, she wasn't a fantastic wife to start with. She was barren and, uh, critical of David. And, uh, God had disciplined her. And that's what it says. The drama of it. We'd love to see in a soap opera one day, but, uh, yeah, a lot of strange things happening in marriage, even in David's life. I'll give you a little bit more on that right after our break, Jane. So hang on. If you want to talk after the break, we'll do it. Definitely. I'm doctor Mike Fabares, sitting in for Doctor Michael Rydell. Our producer, Tricia McMillan, will bring the mailbag in just a few minutes. You're listening to Open Line on Moody Radio. We'll be right back.
S5: Ministry isn't a solo effort. You know my voice. But if you could see inside our studio, you'd see a team behind the scenes putting open line on the air. Look a little further, and you'd see into the homes of listeners like you who give monthly to make this ministry possible. And when you join our team of Kitchen Table Partners, I'll send you a Bible study moment email every other week with tips and encouragement. Become a kitchen table partner today by calling 888644712 or go to Openline Radio.com. We're so glad that Febc partners with Openline, with Doctor Michael Melnick bringing the Febc mailbag every week. Learn how Far East Broadcasting Company is taking Christ to the world at febc. Org. On their weekly podcast. Until all I've heard with Ed Cannon, you'll hear stories of lives changed by Messiah all across the globe. Again, you can hear the podcast when you visit febc. Because that's febc.
S1: To open line. I'm doctor Mike Fabares filling in today for Doctor Michael Riedel. And it's the mailbag segment. And that's when Trish flexes her big biceps and comes in here with the mailbag. How are you feeling? Are you strong enough for this duty today?
S9: I am feeling strong. Look at those.
S1: Guns on this girl. Amazing. All right, Trish is here, and you got the mailbag. And I just said to you just before we came on the air, like, let's go. Let's get the ones that are oldest like that have been here. So what do you have that hadn't been answered this week? You've got to have a couple.
S9: I do, I do. Rachel in Michigan listens to Wgme. And I think this is such a practical question. Um, she said, I know that the I know the Bible well and understand the hope of heaven. And I believe in God's strength, in our weakness, like Paul talks about. But Paul's perseverance seems focused on spreading the gospel and not the daily issues that we're dealing with today like emotional exhaustion, relational conflict, ongoing burdens like that because we're told not to worry about what we eat or drink or what we're going to wear. But those aren't really the things that a lot of people are struggling with. And so sometimes it feels like the Bible's comfort is mostly future focused point to heaven. But in the meantime, just endure and get through it. Okay, so is there more real practical hope for the big struggles that we're facing?
S1: I can help you in two ways with this. I think, number one, we need to separate. It's a lot like anger, the doctrine of what do we do with anger? You know, we think, oh, anger is bad. We shouldn't be angry. But, you know, clearly Jesus was angry. And there's a godly anger, concern, burden, weight, anxiety. You know, we often go to Matthew six and say, well, we shouldn't we shouldn't feel that. And you're right, we shouldn't feel that about trivial things. But Paul often confesses with the same words comes from this this Greek word to to be, to be torn and weighed down and burdened. Um, he's torn and burdened about a lot of things. He had the pressure of the churches. Now I understand his burdens are the church, but it's also the people. I think about his relationship with Titus. He's so concerned about Titus, and he's on the Roman roads traveling. He's concerned about what's going to happen to him. Now, here's the thing. If we think that the promises of peace are supposed to mean that I never feel that feeling, then we're wrong because we have, you know, he has spiritual children, we have real children. We have family members. We have people we care for. We have burdens in our lives. So we're going to feel certain feelings that we may think, because we've read some passages one dimensionally, that we should never feel that way. We're going to feel that we're in a fallen world. There's a lot of things here in this sin laden world that we're going to be concerned about. So, number one, don't feel unrighteous if you feel burdened, if it's about the right thing, if it's a burden about, you know, am I have enough money to pay the rent that may be like, not the kind of burden we should carry. We should know that God's going to take care of his kids. But we care about people's souls. We care about people's lives. Number two. I mean, you brought up the issue of of strength and weakness. I will say, even though a lot of the pressure points in Paul's lives were because he was a missionary, he says in Second Corinthians one, I think about that passage that he was so burdened beyond, like thinking he could live any longer so that he could rely on God who raises the dead. Here's the strength that we have. It's not that we feel like we don't have any problems, or that we're not burdened by problems, but that we are strong enough to see that God is a God that I'm leaning on. I think about Nehemiah. He was in the middle of a difficult time worrying about Israel. Jerusalem was in shambles and he took the king. Artaxerxes talks to him and he prays to God. He's right there leaning on God. He has this constant awareness that I got to trust God for this. And I do think that's the strength of a Christian that doesn't look like strength from worldly standards. And I would say to you, Rachel, if you're continuing to shift more of your focus on I need God to get me through this, or I need God to deal with this, then that is the definition of strength. You're holding on to one who is the king of the universe. But if you think that's going to feel peaceful and tranquil and, you know, hills of of grass and daisies, it's just not going to feel that way. This life is laden with trouble. In this world you'll have tribulation. Jesus said, but take heart. That's the part where there's strength. Can you take heart in the midst of the difficulties and a lot of the difficulties, right, of being burdened, they're appropriate. That's what godly people should feel a burden for things that matter, not a burden for things that don't matter. Whether or not we can have a larger house or a great vacation on a cruise ship, that doesn't matter. What matters is the things that matter to God, and we're going to be burdened with those. And if you say you know the word, well, then I'm assuming your burdens are probably in the right place, even though you think, well, I'm not a missionary traveling through Asia minor, I get that. But the same thing is true. Second Corinthians chapter one, I would say, is a good place to go, Rachel, and I hope that may bring some help and perspective.
S9: And how how would, um, as we process this? Like she even references like he seems focused on the gospel, but the gospel speaks to these things. Um, how how do you see how does it do that? Maybe it's a better way to say that. Like we'll say, oh, Jesus can fix it all, you know, or maybe not fix it, but, you know, just go to Jesus. It's fine. And and I think it has become like a cliche, almost. It's like, well, how's Jesus going to help me out here?
S1: Yeah. Yeah. I guess it'd be like you having a camper that you're living in while you're building this beautiful house, and you're sleeping in the camper outside in the driveway of the house that's in construction, and you think I want to have the peace the Bible keeps talking about? Well, the Bible keeps talking about a peace that's in the house once it's finished. Not about the peace in the camper. So the good news of the gospel is saying, this isn't all there is. I'm an alien and stranger in this world. I should expect pain and disease and sickness and death and trials and trouble and apostasy and problems and betrayals and judases. So I'm going to trust in God to look beyond this. And like Romans 818, my, my. I'm going to see that all the troubles of this world are not worth comparing to the glory that will be revealed to us. It's. Can I look beyond this? It's like a kid doing his homework who's looking toward graduation while he does his homework. This is the trial. This is the trouble. So the good news of the gospel is this isn't all there is. We're not going to stay here. This is not our home. And that's not where most Christians want to live. They want a little bit of Jesus to make the camper livable, and the camper is going to be a hard place to live. And we're living in the camper. We're going to be in the house. It'll be finished one day. And when it is, God's going to take us into that house. But right now, we're going to do the best we can to be positive, focused, forward thinking, eternally minded. And that's going to strengthen us to say, it's okay, I don't have everything I want. It's okay that the guy across the street has a bigger camper. It doesn't matter. What matters is the eternal thing. So worry about the. Here's what Jesus said about worry, right? He says, seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness. So decipher that. Call that out. Bring out, tease that out and say, here are the things I should I should concern myself with today. And I think that can give us hope. As Paul said, I want to lean on the one who has the power to raise the dead because he is going to die. He said I was despairing even of life itself, but I'm going to focus on him and I'm going to say, I can get through this. In this world you'll have tribulation. So I think, I mean, it's very nuanced. You picked a hard question here, Trish. You really did. But but Rachel, you know, I hope that gives you some sense of mental strength, spiritual strength. Even though the storm doesn't stop and the camper is still the camper and the mattress is still lumpy, or you're sleeping in a in a sleeping bag on the floor of the camper, you're going to make it. We're going to make it.
S9: And I think sometimes there are words that other people have written, um, like prayers that they have written or even prayers in the Bible, but um, or or listening to, um, like I heard Corrie ten boom on a little video clip this week and, and these believers who are older, who have been through those things, when you hear them talk about it, can be so encouraging and almost inspirational. Um, to help you put words to as you process like, how what does this look like in someone's life to see those people who are doing it? Um, that you can say, oh, that's what that looks like. Excellent. Okay.
S1: That's excellent Trish. And that's where I would say, Rachel, go to some biographies because we learn these people who have these wonderful statements we always love to quote. But between the wonderful quotes are all the real things Corrie ten boom went through and the life that she lived and the trials that she had and the struggles she had. And I think that's helpful. And I read Christian biographies. I like to read Christian biographies of pastors because that's what I do. And I realize, man, it's hard for them. But they say things that help me say, okay, we'll get through this. We're going to make it.
S9: Yeah, that.
S1: Was one question.
S9: It was one question. Thank you. Rachel.
S1: Good one. Rachel.
S9: Thank you.
S1: All right. Well that's good. We got more. We got a board full of questions here and we're going to get to those, but we're going to take a quick break before we do it. My number again (877) 548-3675. This is open line on Moody Radio. Thanks, Trish for bringing in the mailbag. We'll be back in just a minute. Bye bye.
S5: So many people have questions about Israel. That's why Chosen People Ministry is one of our partners. Is offering a free booklet, Why Israel? This book explores the topic of Israel through the lens of Scripture, bringing clarity to a controversial topic. Has the church replaced Israel in the plan of God? Does ethnic Israel still have a future? What about Israel today? If you'd like answers to these questions, just go to our website openline. radio.org. Scroll down to the link that says Free Gift from Chosen People Ministries. Click on that and you'll be able to sign up for your own copy of Why Israel?
S1: Well, welcome back to Open Line. My name is Mike Fabares. I'm the pastor of Compass Bible Church in Aliso Viejo, California. I'm a long way from home in the Windy City. Today. It's graduation day in Chicago at the Moody Bible Institute. I remember the day I graduated and I didn't have the privilege of having Doctor Michael Riedel hand me my degree, but that's what they're having today, and it's going on right now. So I'm filling in here. I'm I'm off the bench today filling in for Doctor Michael Riedel. And I'm so happy to be here. And we got a lot of calls. So let's try and get through them as many as we can. Let's go to line one, Nancy from Spokane, Washington listening on KMBC. Great station. How can we help?
S10: Hi. I just first want to say that you're one of my favorite pastors on Moody. I listen to you regularly.
S1: That's so sweet. Thank you. Who paid you to? I'll send the check over to to let you know. I'm thankful for that work of pushing my program. Thank you. I'm kidding. Of course. I didn't pay you. Did I know you say that. Okay, good. All right, Nancy.
S10: That comes from my heart.
S1: That's very kind.
S10: Um, but, you know, I believe in the rapture, the tribulation and the thousand year reign of Jesus Christ on earth. And I mentioned these events in a conversation with another Christian, and they responded. These events only came on the scene in the last 200 years. And that you couldn't take revelation literally, that it was symbolic. And I don't understand where this view came from. Is this an alternate view within the Christian community, and if so, how do you respond to this?
S1: Yeah, well, for those who grew up with a pre-tribulational rapture view and a literal pre millennial view, which means we're coming to a time of a thousand year reign, we're just used to that. But yes, there are plenty of alternative views about the end times. One is not only that the book of Revelation is symbolic because of course it is given to us in images, right? It's what we call in the genre of the New Testament apocalyptic literature, which means John is shown a series of things that he relays to us. It is symbolic in that sense, but we believe it's future people that believe it's already past. And that's what this man is saying or this woman is saying to you. It's called the preterist view of the Book of Revelation. That means it's already past. And they say it happened. All those things were fulfilled in 70 AD when Titus, the Roman general, came through and destroyed Jerusalem. I don't believe that Michael Riedel does not believe that the professors here at Moody Bible Institute don't believe that. We believe this is all future yet to come, because the book of Revelation was written in the late 90s, we believe, or mid 90s at least after the fall of Jerusalem in 70 A.D. and all these things he said were still future. Now they have to argue for an early writing of the book of Revelation, which I think is just absolutely non supportable. But the reason they say it's new is because they say, well, this is what you call dispensational theology. It came through the Plymouth Brethren, it came through Darby. And this is all new stuff. Well, number one, even if it were, which I don't think it is, as a matter of fact, I came upon a book the other day called The Recent Pre-Trib Findings in the Early Church Fathers by a guy named Brainard, and I just happened to pick it up. I'd never seen it before. And he goes through some of the early teachings in the Didache and some of the early Church Fathers, Eusebius, Irenaeus, and and showing the statements about a pre-trib rapture. And so it's I understand people say it's all new. Well, the systemising of dispensationalism may be something new, but it'd be like us in the fourth century saying, well, this whole one essence and three persons and stating the Trinity that way. That's all new. Well, it would have been new because they had gotten to the place of of describing the Trinity that way. It doesn't mean it was unbiblical. It is biblical. We've been affirming it now since the fourth century that way. So I don't I don't really mind saying, you know, well, it was popularized later in church history, but the question is, is it going to happen, number one, to say you don't believe in the rapture? If they say that, you've got to look at first Thessalonians 417. It says, we who are alive will be caught up together to meet them in the clouds and meet the Lord in the air. So it's going to happen. The question is, when is the rapture? And we're saying it's before the time of Jacob's trouble, before the 70th week of Daniel, before the Great Tribulation. Jesus talked about in Matthew 24, this time that's the worst time to ever come upon the world. And here's one reason I don't think it's 70 A.D. because he has never been like this, ever. And it will never be like that again. And there are plenty of things worse than, than than Titus marching through Jerusalem in 70 A.D.. I mean, think of the Holocaust is worse than that. So I don't believe we've come to the tribulation, yet I believe that's part of God's plan for Israel. And if Doctor Michael Redlick, he'd be saying it with with a lot more verve than me. But I agree it wholeheartedly, full wholeheartedly. This seven year period is yet to come. I do believe the rapture will come before that time of tribulation. Just reading through that book I just came across the other day again, reminds me that people in the second third century were saying these same things. Was it in a study Bible? No, of course not. You know, did we have charts of it? No, no, no. And was that popularized, uh, after Darby? Perhaps it is. And did they say everything right? No, I don't believe they do. But I think all the professors here at Moody Bible Institute would say we believe in a pre-tribulational rapture. God's got a plan for Israel being turned to their Messiah in that tribulation period. God's judgment is going to come. All the things that are written in the mid 90s, in the first century by John on the island of Patmos are yet to come, and that there's going to be a thousand year reign of Christ. He says it six times in revelation 20. I think it's literal because it said six times a thousand years. And when is that going to be in the future? After the tribulation period? So I think it's all there. It comes down to how we read the Old Testament promises. You look at Ezekiel and that temple. Has it ever been built in those dimensions? Never. Nothing even close to that. So I think all of that's yet to come in the millennial Kingdom. Now, good men can disagree. Good women can disagree on this. But we are saying to say, well it's a Johnny come lately view. So it's not right. Number one, I don't buy the premise. And number two, I don't think it's all that new, at least in its, you know, rudimentary forms. And, um, you know, I think it's right. I think it's the most consistent way to read the Old and New Testaments. And I got a lot of people in my camp. And certainly you've been taught that way, Nancy, and to have someone say, well, I dismissed it because I watched a YouTube video, okay. And there are great people that have different views, but we're not going to say they're non-Christians, but we are going to say one day we'll see how this plays out. And I think the people who expected a 70th year, 70th week of Daniel, a time of Jacob's trouble, the worst tribulation ever. And then a millennial kingdom. I think they're going to be right, at least from my perspective. So don't be shaken by this doesn't mean they're not Christians. It just means they have a different view of the end times. Does that help Nancy?
S10: Oh, it helps a lot. I just love how in-depth that you've answered this question. And I'll be listening many times to this.
S1: Okay. Yeah, I know some people think I talk too fast, but I feel like I have very little time. I know Doctor Riddell has such a wonderful voice and such great pacing, but I only get to host every now and then, so I want to jam in as much as I can here.
S10: Yeah, and we can listen to it. Yeah, listen to it all the time.
S1: That's right. This is just a ploy to get people to go back and listen to the podcast. See, that's all I'm doing. I'm just helping Moody here with that. Nancy, thanks for your kind words.
S10: That you before.
S1: Oh. You hadn't.
S10: Yeah.
S1: Oh, well, no. What a terrible tragedy.
S10: Because I, I've been that's what I've been taught is about the rapture and the tribulation and the, you know, and I've been taught that it all is future that we're. I mean, I pray for that. Come quick. Jesus. Please come.
S1: Yes. And I do think if you read in the Bible, let me throw one more layer on this. If you look at the things about the return of Christ, some things are timed and they're like, you should expect it. And here are the signs of it all. And some of the statements are you never know when it's going to happen. It's gonna happen when you don't expect it. Two different expectations and one expectation is for the church. We don't know when Christ is going to come back, can come back today. And then for Israel. And a lot of the teaching of Jesus is for Israel. He's saying, you're going to know the signs are going to be there. Here's what's going to happen. You see signs in the heavens. You're going to see the sun not give its light. You're going to see all these things. The vultures are going to gather, and you'll know the end is going to come. So I think we have two different installments of the coming of Christ for the church to meet Jesus in the air. And then in Zechariah 14 says, for Jesus to come and set his feet down on the Mount of Olives after the battle of of the battle of Armageddon, to save the remnant Israel and set up a kingdom for a thousand years. So I think you're right, Nancy. You're talking to a friendly, uh, voice here. I agree with your eschatology, and so do the folks here at Moody, and I'm grateful for them. And we'll see. Uh, if some of the nuances of our eschatology are a little off, we'll find out one day. But I think we're right. And, of course, we wouldn't teach it if we didn't think we were right. Thanks for the call, Nancy. Appreciate it so much. Let's squeeze in another quick call if we can. Let's go to line eight. Brett, you're on the air with pastor Mike. How can I help?
S11: Morning, pastor Mike, how you doing? Good, good. Hey, um, quick question. Um, why I, I attend Compass Church in, in Aliso Viejo. So I'm very thankful for you and the teaching over, you know, 17 years. So great. Appreciate it very much. Um, why why don't we baptize babies?
S1: Because baptism is a sign of our regeneration. Uh, we're supposed to make disciples and baptize them. Having a baby is not making a disciple. I can address more of this after the break. I'm sorry I got a hard break coming up here, Brett. So stay on the line. We'll talk to you after the break. But we are so excited to have you listening today, along with so many others here. This is open line. I'm Mike Faber is filling in for Doctor Michael Rudnick. We got another hour of Open line coming up on most of these stations. At least you can go to Open Line radio.org. Open line with Doctor Michael Riedel is a production of the Moody Radio, which is, I say, the Moody Radio. It's the only one. Moody radio, a ministry of the Moody Bible Institute. We're so happy to be on the air today. And if you stick around, we've got another hour coming up. We're excited to get back to your questions.