S1: Who owns the land where Israel is today? Are the Israelis occupiers and oppressors, or does the media have it wrong? We're about to dig into this hot topic on today's edition of The Land and the book, along with, of course, a review of all the incredible action in the Middle East this past week. Plus, Charlie Dyer's devotional reminds us that the October 7th attack on Israel has an eerie parallel in ancient scripture. Welcome to the land and the book, a one hour flyover of the Middle East. Our host, Old Testament scholar and author Doctor Charlie Dyer. And I'm John Gager. Boy, Israel has been in the news just entirely throughout the week and in fact, throughout the past year. And as we know, Charlie, the Bible is jam packed with end times prophecies about epic world events, the regathering of the Jewish people to their ancient homeland, and of course, Jesus return. Seems to me it's crucial for us as believers, though, to have a proper understanding of Bible prophecy. So our view of the future is shaped by Scripture, not just today's headlines. Right?
S2: It is John. And with that in mind, our friends at Life and Messiah have published a book titled God, Israel and Bible Prophecy, and they're offering it to listeners of the land in the book for a limited time. This informative book is focused on providing readers with a deeper understanding and greater appreciation for what God has in store for Israel and the nations by digging into what the scriptures say about these issues. Now, if you're interested in learning more about what God has in store, visit Life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button there to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: Well, Charlie, in the middle of all the tension and turmoil of the week, there's something to celebrate an anniversary here at the land of the book. We've reached our 14th year of broadcasting.
S2: Isn't that amazing, John? Time has flown. Yeah.
S1: And God has been good. And we thank you for listening. We thank you to the management of this station for providing air time for the land and the book. If it's been a while since you've said thank you to them, please do so today in honor of our 14th birthday, well, let's swing our focus toward current events, Charlie. On Tuesday of this week, Iran fired 181 ballistic missiles at Israel. The question is, what impact did the attack have on the country? And perhaps more importantly, what happens next?
S2: Yeah, and some missiles did land in Israel, but thankfully there were no casualties. Though a Palestinian near Jericho was killed by falling shrapnel. The main injuries to Israelis were people who fell while running to bomb shelters, and then two people in Tel Aviv who were slightly hurt by shrapnel. Now it takes just 12 minutes for a missile to travel from Iran to Israel. That's not a lot of time, but it's enough for people to reach a place of shelter. And. Israel's new high tech missile alert system was used for the very first time. it's sophisticated enough to send a specific message to an individual cell phone in an area that's being targeted by one of these missiles. Now, some missiles landed at Israeli air bases, hitting office buildings and maintenance areas, but no aircraft or major infrastructure was damaged. Following the attack, Prime Minister Netanyahu said Iran made a big mistake by launching it and will pay the price. And U.S. officials also said there would be severe consequences for Iran's attack and that the U.S. would work with Israel to make that happen. The question now is what exactly will that response look like, and how long might it take before it's launched?
S1: Charlie, what is the likelihood, do you think of Israel using this moment as a chance to finally go into Iran and attack their nuclear facilities?
S2: I think that is a possibility. And that's what's being discussed with the U.S. right now.
S1: What is a likely scenario in your in your estimation?
S2: I think they have to hit Iran. I think they're going to go after some of the infrastructure there and try and degrade the Iranian economy and certainly some of their military aspects. But what that will be that's, I think, a matter of discussion, and I have a feeling that Israel will want to do more than the U.S. will allow them to do.
S1: You started last week's lead story on the conflict between Israel and Hezbollah by saying it's hard to stay current on everything taking place, and that has certainly remained true over this past week as well. So what has been happening there and what can we expect in the coming days?
S2: Well, you know, to say that the attack against Hezbollah's leader, Nasrallah, sent shockwaves throughout the Middle East is an understatement. That's one of the reasons that Iran just launched the attack. It did. But from the exploding pagers to the exploding walkie talkies to the elimination of an entire senior level of Hezbollah's leaders at one time to the destruction of Hezbollah's main underground headquarters, where Nasrallah was present, show a level of intelligence gathering sophistication and dedicated, detailed planning that has frightened Israel's enemies. That secret bunker was thought to be bomb proof, and it was completely wiped out, along with five apartment buildings under which it had been constructed. No one in the headquarters survived. Iran's Ayatollah Khomeini was rushed to an undisclosed location in Tehran following the news of the strike, apparently fearing a similar strike against him. Now, in spite of many in the West calling for a cease fire, Israel has continued to press its offensive. Several additional regional commanders were eliminated, along with numerous storage facilities holding missiles and launchers. Hezbollah has tried to respond, but so far the response has been limited and uncoordinated because of the damage done to their system of command and control, and because of the number of rockets and launchers that have already been eliminated. The war against Hezbollah has entered a new phase, as Israel launched a ground offensive in Lebanon, with the apparent goal of clearing Hezbollah's forces and infrastructure from along their northern border. The one thing Israel doesn't want to do right now, though, is get involved in a protracted ground war in Lebanon. That happened twice before, and that's not a good thing for Israel.
S1: Charlie also noted some activity in the war against Hamas. Israelis have been going in there with with a big passion.
S2: Yeah, the war with Hamas continues, even though it's been shuffled to the back of the page with everything else happening. But the two key goals remain the return of the hostages and the elimination of Hamas leadership, especially Sinwar. It's clear Israel is trying to decapitate Hamas like they have Hezbollah, and to disrupt their system of command and control. Now, in response to a ballistic missile fired from Yemen by the Houthis, Israel launched a second major attack against them. This time, they attacked another port where the Iran backed group was receiving arms and oil. The message to Yemen, which was also intended for Iran, by the way, is that Israel has the ability to conduct major strikes at any distance near or far against those threatening them. And as long as we're looking at the area. Fighting has also continued in the West Bank. Last Sunday night, a firefight in Nablus injured four Israeli soldiers while killing one terrorist and wounding another. And then on Tuesday, two terrorists from Hebron attacked civilians in Jaffa with a rifle and a knife, killing seven before they themselves were killed by a security guard and by armed civilians. Iran is still the puppet master that's encouraged all these groups to attack. They've been shamed by Israel, which has demonstrated its ability to attack their allies at will. And Iran is hoping to use their missiles, as well as those supplied to their allies, to force Israel to back down. But if that's the message they're trying to send, Israel doesn't appear to be listening.
S1: You're listening to The Land and the book from Moody Radio with our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer, noted Old Testament scholar, Middle East Authority. We're looking at the news that's based in the Middle East this week. Well, this week also marked the start of the year, 5785 on the Hebrew calendar. And as they do every year, Israel's Central Bureau of Statistics released figures on the country's current Population. What can we learn from those latest numbers, Charlie?
S2: Well, you know, I always find these fascinating. At the start of the new year, the population of Israel stood at 9,999,000. The population is expected to top 10 million within a matter of weeks. Now, of that total, almost 7.7 million are Jews and 2.1 million are Arabs. The overall population increased by over 118,000 during the year. Of those who made Aliya or who emigrated into Israel, the largest number came from Russia, the United States, Canada and France, and a third of the new immigrants were young people between the ages of 18 and 35. Worldwide, the total Jewish population is estimated to now stand at 15.8 million, so almost half of the world's Jews are in Israel. The bottom line is that Israel has continued to experience population growth in spite of political unrest and war, and that has to be an encouragement to them.
S1: Well, the global demand for chocolate has been increasing by 5% every year. But unsustainable growing practices are threatening the long term survival of this sweet treat. Thankfully, those scientists and amazing Israel are coming to the rescue. What are Israel's technological chocolatiers doing to preserve the world's supply of chocolate?
S2: Well, you know, listeners might not even be aware of the fact that $133 billion chocolate industry is facing a crisis. 70% of the world's cocoa beans are grown in West Africa. Land there has been deforested to plant new cocoa trees, causing serious environmental damage. And yet, because of disease and climate change, the production of cocoa beans there continues to fall. And that's where the scientists in Israel might just be coming to the rescue in the nick of time. A company called Celeste Bio has developed a process to cultivate cocoa in the laboratory that's indistinguishable from farmed cocoa. The lab cocoa is grown from just a couple beans and can be repeatedly produced. There are other companies working on similar processes, but Celeste Bio is the first to produce chocolate grade cocoa butter in just seven days. They can take cells from 1 or 2 cocoa beans and mature them so that the butter can be harvested, and at no stage does the process involve genetic modification. The bioreactor becomes the forest, if you will, for growing the beans. The process also eliminates any vulnerability to pests and disease. Celeste Bio is currently focusing on expanding this operation, and when that happens, I'm sure all of us chocoholics will rejoice at the innovation coming from amazing Israel. Well, that's.
S1: A bit of a sweet ending to a rather disturbing look at current events. Thank you though for all those insights, Charlie. Appreciate you staying on top of that, and we're looking forward to a conversation with you on the other side of this break, looking at who owns the land. We'll dig deep into that. Questions. You need to hear. Answers you must hang on to next on the land and the book. Here we are at the doorstep of the one year anniversary of the Hamas attack on Israel. What are the most important takeaways from this conflict? More importantly, is there any light at the end of this very dark tunnel? And since we're asking questions, who owns the land, the land where Israel sits today? Some believers offer unwavering but sometimes uninformed support for Israel. Other Christians say the Palestinians are being treated unfairly. Just what is the history of this conflict? We'll dig into all of that next. Hey, welcome to segment two of The Land and the book. Before we crank up the heat on today's conversation, let's enjoy an encouraging idea about sharing Christ with a Jewish friend. As a believer in Jesus, do you celebrate Rosh Hashanah? Why not? If your answer is no? Well, let's ask Roy Schwarz of Chosen People Ministries. Roy.
S3: Well, it's a biblical time, Rosh Hashanah. So it's a time where it's one of God's appointed times for us as believers. It points to the rapture of the church, where the trump of God shall blow and the dead in Messiah will rise. Leviticus 23 talks about you shall have a rest, a memorial by blowing of trumpets. And what greater reminder of the fact that what we as Christians are waiting for is a rest that remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, and that ultimate rest will be the rapture of the church, when the trump of God shall blow and the dead in Messiah shall rise, and we shall be alive with the Lord evermore. So Rosh Hashanah is a great time. Well, give me a.
S1: Quick pointer here. How do I turn the corner from what a typical Jewish response or definition of Rosh Hashanah would be to what we understand biblically of the future.
S3: Well, it's something new for Jewish people. It's a new year. It's a time of preparation, time to prepare our hearts for Yom Kippur. It's a time of self-examination and to be ready for atonement.
S1: Roy Schwarz with Chosen People Ministries. Thank you. Without question. Doctor Charlie Dyer is a real Middle East expert, not a political pundit. He's been to the Holy Land more than 100 times. Naturally, he's also made repeated trips to Jordan and Turkey. And did I mention he was twice an invited guest to the country of Iraq? Few people alive today understand the complexity of the Middle East, like our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer. You know and love him as the host of our weekly broadcast, The Land and the book. And he's written extensively about the Middle East. In fact, Charlie literally helped write the book on this issue at stake. Today, he has updated Stanley Ellison's Moody Publishers release, Who Owns the Land? Well, thanks for sitting down with us today. We need your perspectives, Charlie. Hey.
S2: Thanks, John. Anytime with you. Is time well spent?
S1: Well, let's start with a one year look back at the war. What are the most important insights or lessons we should take away from this war?
S2: For us, I think it's two things. One, it's a reminder why Hamas refuses to allow Israel to exist as a nation. This, at the very heart of it, is a religious conflict, not a political, not a social conflict. It's a conflict between two views of life and two gods that are diametrically opposed to one another. And that's why it's so hard to solve. And and frankly, that leads to the second point, which is the reason the West has had such a difficult time trying to get a handle on this is we view things from a secular perspective. And when you view the Middle East, especially this conflict, you've got to view it with religious eyes.
S1: Is there any light at the end of this very dark tunnel? People want to know, you know.
S2: Long range view. Yes. Because we know Jesus is coming back and he's going to solve the problems short term. No. And that's part of the problem that gets us so discouraged. We want the problem. That's like a television program to be resolved within 60 minutes, you know? Short term solution that solves it. And everybody lives happily ever after. And unfortunately, there is no short term solution to this. There are winners and there are losers, but there's no way for compromise, at least in the short term.
S1: Well, let's pivot toward a discussion that is very much at the heart of the coverage of this war. Who owns the land? Take us to a simple explanation of God's agreement with Israel to give them the land forever. And that's key.
S2: Yeah. It is. And I think we've got to start with one key point. The real owner of the land isn't Israel or the Palestinians, it's God. In Psalm 24, the psalmist wrote, the earth is the Lord's and everything in it. God is the one who owns it all. And in Leviticus 25, when God was speaking to Israel regarding the year of Jubilee, he says the land must not be sold permanently because the land is mine and you're but aliens and my tenants. So God makes it very clear he's the ultimate owner of the land. Now in terms of what God did with that land in Genesis 12. God spoke to Abraham and he said to your offspring, I will give this land. Uh, the next chapter he says the same thing again. He says, walk through the land. I'm giving it to you. Two chapters later, Genesis 15, God cuts a covenant. He signs on the bottom line, if you will, of an agreement. And he says, there on that day the Lord made a covenant with Abraham and says to your descendants, I give this land. Now Abraham had Ishmael, and then later he has Isaac. So which one gets the land? Well, in Genesis 17, God says, I'm going to bless Ishmael. I'll make him fruitful. I'll greatly increase his numbers. But my covenant I'll establish with Isaac. Later in Genesis 28, God says to Jacob, I'm with you, and I'm going to give you and your descendants the land. So the land promise from God was to Abraham and his descendants. But then it's limited by God to Isaac, to Jacob, who of course became Israel and the 12 tribes of Israel.
S1: And the year this would have taken place is approximately what on the timeline. Charlie?
S2: Well, about 2000 BC is when Abraham was living. So it's 2000 years before the time of Jesus. What's amazing is how many times that's reaffirmed 600 years later. God reaffirms it to Moses in the book of Deuteronomy. And then 700 years later, God reaffirms it by Micah the prophet. In fact, the last verses in the book of Micah. God promised it to Abraham and pledged it on oath. And then in the time of Paul in the New Testament, Romans 11 says, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, because God's gift and his call are irrevocable. In essence, Paul saying, God made a promise and he doesn't go back on his word. So this 2000 year development of a promise and it constantly says exactly the same thing.
S1: That's Doctor Charlie Dyer, who's updated the Moody publisher's book Who Owns the Land? You say that Jewish people have continuously lived in Israel in lesser or greater numbers ever since then. Why is that such an important point? Well, that's.
S2: Crucial because if people listen to the arguments being made. Now, one of the arguments is that Israel and the Jews are Western colonizers. They stole the land from the indigenous Palestinians. So they equate modern Israel with what the British did in like India or South Africa, or like what the French did in North Africa. But the Jews are not European colonizers. They were the indigenous people who were ethnically cleansed from the land by the Assyrians, by the Babylonians, later by the Romans. But even then a remnant always remained in the land. And so while they were scattered, the focus was always on returning to their homeland. In fact, they would say next year in Jerusalem, as part of their ritual for Passover and the Day of Atonement. So they're not foreign occupiers. They're returning to the land of their ancestors, a land promised to them by God, and a land where a remnant has lived for all those years.
S1: One of the more confusing things for lesser informed minds is the idea that Israel was for so many years called Palestine. So didn't the Israelis displace Palestinians, and if so, Palestinian people are without a country. Or it appears if you read the media, Charlie, untangle this for us.
S2: Oh, man. Yeah, it's one of those that just goes on and on and you wonder, how do we get it together? So here's what we need to know. The word Palestine was not an ethnic description. In fact, it was a geographical term given to the land by the Romans back in the second century. So the people who lived in the land were called Palestinians in the same way. I guess if someone lives in Virginia, they're called Virginians. Genetically, the Palestinians, as we think of them today, are a mixture of every group who came through that land through history. The Romans were there, and the Arabs, the Jewish remnant who were there. In fact, the Jewish newspaper today called the Jerusalem Post up until the 1900s was the Palestine Post because it was in the land of Palestine. But the Palestinian people are really a mixture ethnically, of all the groups who came through during that time. But that's why we have to understand Palestine and Palestinian referred not to the people, but to a land area. Up until very recently.
S1: Okay, let's go back to 636 and 637 A.D. this is the Muslim siege of Jerusalem. And they claim that because Islamic forces conquered the Jewish people, Israel's land is now theirs forever, according to their scriptures. Seems to me the real conflict here is simply whose book is the book? Your thoughts?
S2: You're exactly right. In fact, even more significantly, whose God is the real God? Because the God of Islam presented in the Quran isn't the same as the God of Israel presented in the Bible. And and the God of Israel said to Jacob, this land is yours and your descendants forever. The God of the Quran, Allah said, you've conquered this, and land conquered for me belongs to me. And I've dispossessed the Jewish people for their lack of belief. So which God really is God? And that's at the heart of the conflict.
S1: All right, let's fast forward to modern times. Give us a 62nd summary of the founding of the modern State of Israel in plain English. And why didn't the United Nations also create a state for Arabs living in that region?
S2: Well, you know, in World War One, the allies promised the Jewish people a national homeland. It's the Balfour Declaration is what it's called. They also promised the Arab leaders that they could have their own country. In essence, they promised the same land to two different groups, which is a major problem. But they promised it to the Arabs if they would drive out the Turks. The British were given the mandate to bring it all about, and the first thing they did was carved out the modern country of Jordan, which was originally part of the Promised Land. So they did give a country to the Arabs, and that's the country we know today as Jordan. Then in 1947, the UN voted to partition the remaining land into two more countries, one for Israel and one for the Palestinians. Now it was far less than what had been promised to Israel, but they reluctantly accepted the vote. But the Arab countries and the Palestinians rejected it, refusing to accept any state of Israel. Well, After that fighting was over in 1948, Israel ended up with its country, but Jordan annexed the West Bank and made it part of their country, and Egypt took over Gaza. So the Palestinians ended up with no country, only because of the war that came when they opposed Israel having its own country.
S1: Well, often ignored or distorted in the conversation is the expulsion of Arabs from Israel and Jews from Arab countries. Just what are the facts here? And how did they come to bear on this conversation?
S2: Yeah, you'll often hear and symbols used of a key. There were about 600,000, and nobody knows the exact number, but about 600,000 Arabs who lost their home when the 1948 War of Independence took place. What people don't also understand is that an even greater number, about 700 to 900,000. Again, nobody knows the exact number of Jews who lost their homes in Arab countries. They were expelled from Arab countries with with just the clothes on their back in many cases. Now, the difference between the two. Israel took in those Jewish refugees and helped them rebuild their lives. But the Palestinian refugees, the Arab refugees who fled the land, were not given the same kind of treatment by their Arab host neighbors. They were put into refugee camps, really squalid slums, and forced to live there. They weren't given citizenship or weren't allowed to integrate with those society. And that's where the problem of Palestinian refugees comes from today. So there was almost equal numbers of refugees on both sides. You can't unscramble an egg. The real question is what do you do with those people after that problem has formed and Israel took the time to integrate their refugees? The Arab countries did not.
S1: Doctor Charlie Dyer has updated the Moody Publishers book Who Owns the Land? Let me ask you point blank, is Israel a nation of occupiers? Why or why not?
S2: The short answer is they're not. And the reason? First, they have a historic claim to the land. They're the only nation on Earth with a title deed given to a land that was given to them by God himself, they came back to their homeland to avoid the horrible persecution they were experiencing at the hands of others, not only World War two and the Holocaust, but in Russia, in the Arab countries, they had to come back to find a place where they could find safety. They originally hoped to live in harmony with their Arab neighbors until that proved untenable. But in reality, they're not occupiers. They're people returning to their land where they had been ethnically cleansed before.
S1: Why do younger evangelicals tend to side consistently with Palestinians rather than Israelis? And why don't you speak directly to them? What would you have them understand differently?
S2: Well, I'd probably say something. In fact, I will say something to them. You don't know the history or the culture. You get your information and your world view from social media, which is distorted. You really need to go back to the Bible to reverse the trend. Start with the Bible. And in second Timothy three, Paul describes the state of the world in the last days, and he brackets it with three of the greatest statements on the importance of God's Word. You know, in second Timothy 215 he says, present yourself to God as workers who don't need to be ashamed, who correctly handled the word of truth. In chapter three says, All Scripture is God breathed and profitable for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness. And then in chapter four he says, in light of Christ's return, proclaim the word whether it's convenient or not. But the point is, the key way to handle error is to focus on truth. And so to the extent that you're not paying attention to the Word of God, you're being duped. You're being led astray. Focus on the Bible now. Don't accept what I'm saying at face value. Go to the Bible to see if what I'm saying matches up.
S1: Charlie. What? We're reading this book. Who owns the land? Do for me. And understanding this conflict.
S2: Well, it'll provide the historical, the geographical and the biblical context that most don't have. You know, people get taken in by the emotional stories in the media, but those stories don't present the whole truth. It's not a case where everyone's wearing white hats or black hats where there's good guys and bad guys and they're clearly identified. It's a story about God, his plans and his promises, and what he has to say about the present and future for this slice of real estate where he's working.
S1: And we'll put a link to his book, Who Owns the Land from Moody Publishers at our web site. The land and the book. Org. Charlie, I'm looking forward to having you back in our next segment answering questions. You got your Bible ready?
S2: I got it ready, John.
S1: All right. That's next on the land and the book. Welcome back to segment three of the Land of the Book Bible questions and Answers. I'm John Jacob with our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer, always pumped about what's come in via email. Fascinating to see what interests you. I'm as interested in knowing what the answers are as anybody. First, though, you know, Israel has been in the news, of course, a lot over this past year and as we know, the Bible is jam packed with end times prophecies. Epic world events, the regathering of the Jewish people to their ancient homeland, and Jesus return. It is crucial for us, though, as believers, to have a proper understanding of Bible prophecy. So our view of the future is shaped by Scripture and not just today's headlines. Right, Charlie?
S2: Absolutely, John. And with that in mind, our friends at Life and Messiah have published a book titled God, Israel and Bible Prophecy, and they're offering it to listeners of the land in the book for a limited time. This informative book is focused on providing readers with a deeper understanding and greater appreciation of what God has in store for Israel and the nations by digging into what the scriptures say about these issues. Now, if you're interested in learning more about what God has in store, visit Life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button there to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in Dot org.
S1: Our first question of the day is from Norm. Who wants to have your insights, Charlie, on the New Apostolic Reformation and their teaching, in particular their belief in the offices and roles of apostles and prophets being for today. He says, now that we have God's completed revelation in print form, I believe that their teaching on these roles is in error. Your thoughts? Yeah.
S2: I've not had a lot of interaction with the New Apostolic Reformation movement, but from what I do know, I believe the movement does depart from what the Bible teaches in those areas. For example, in terms of the gift of apostleship being active today. Well, the Bible says that that gift was foundational for the early church, requiring individuals to have physically been an eyewitness of the risen Christ and to have directly been called by Christ to serve in that capacity. Here's where I'd say that. First Corinthians nine one Paul writes, am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? That second question really is answering the first. He was an apostle, in part because he had physically seen Jesus following his resurrection. In Galatians one one, Paul even makes it more direct. He says his apostleship originated not from men, nor by a man, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead. So it was a direct call to be an apostle by God the Father and Jesus. Now I also have a problem with their belief in the gift of prophecy being active for today. You know, the gifts like prophecy were present in the early church. But when the Bible was completed, those gifts passed away. And in first Corinthians 13, Paul says, we know in part, we prophesy in part. But when completeness literally when that which is perfect or mature comes, that which is in part will disappear. And he says that in verse eight, there where there are prophecies, they will cease. And in the early church, about the time the church was formed, the canon of Scripture was completed. Prophecy did die out at the end of the first century. Now, even apart from all that, here's the other issue. If someone says today I have the gift of prophecy, See, I would say to them, okay, let me grant that with you. Will you grant me one thing? Will you follow what God says about a prophet? And in Deuteronomy chapter 18, God said, A prophet who presumes to speak in my name. Anything I have not commanded is to be put to death. You're to say to yourselves, how can we know a message that has not been spoken by the Lord? Well, if a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord something that doesn't take place or come true, this is a message the Lord hasn't spoken. So God basically said, if you're a prophet or if you're claiming to be a prophet, you have to be 100% accurate or be killed. Well, that's a pretty high bar, and I don't think those claiming prophecy today are willing to go to that high bar that God himself established.
S1: Mark takes us to Luke nine verse 13, asking, Is Jesus really telling the disciples, you have the ability to perform the miracle needed to feed the multitude? Yeah, and that's that.
S2: In that feeding of the 5000, I tend not to see his words that way there. I think he's really helping them see the human impossibility of them feeding so many people. I say that because of their response, they respond by saying, we only have five loaves and two fish unless we go and buy food for all this crowd. So in one sense, Jesus is feeding. Of the 5000, there is intended, I think, to parallel the miracle of God providing the manna for Israel in the wilderness. But before performing the miracle, Jesus wanted to make sure the disciples understood that feeding so many was beyond their human ability.
S1: Todd asks, what does David have in mind when he speaks of strangers in first Chronicles 29, verse 15?
S2: Yeah, in that section, he's using the phrase aliens and strangers in relationship to God. And I think what he's doing is humbling himself and the people before God. You know, citizens of a country, especially those who own property. Well, they had certain rights, but aliens and strangers didn't possess any land, and they didn't have those rights. We can see that in the Bible, in Abraham and in the book of Genesis. In Genesis 17, God told Abraham he would possess the whole land of Canaan, where you are now an alien, God says in verse eight. But when Sarah died, Abraham went to the Hittites to purchase land to bury her. And he began by saying, I'm an alien and a stranger among you. He was acknowledging his lack of standing. He didn't even own a place where he could bury his wife. It was a humble acknowledgement that he was asking a request and not a demand. It's interesting that David uses that same phrase in Psalm 39, verse 12, where he comes to God and pleads for God's gracious help. He says, for I dwell with you as an alien, a stranger as all my fathers were. Now putting all that together, what I see David's prayer there in in first Chronicles 29 doing is, is a praise for God's graciousness to people who in and of themselves had no right to demand anything. All that God had provided was an extension of his kindness to those who had as much right to demand anything as a foreigner did when appearing before a king in a foreign land. God poured out his blessing on David and the people, and David felt overwhelmed by God's graciousness.
S1: You're listening to The Land and the book segment Three Questions and Answers with our host, Charlie Dyer. I'm John Gager. Lamentations three, verse 19 contains an imperative. Remember, this listener wants to know is that remember command based on a perspective directed to the Lord.
S2: Yeah, it's a straightforward question with a little complex answer here in the Hebrew Masoretic Text. The verb there for remember is written as an imperative. That's why translations like The New American Standard translated it as a request from Jeremiah to God, with Jeremiah asking God to remember his affliction. However, my concern is that doesn't really seem to fit the overall context. The Septuagint translation there suggests, I think, how the verb should be understood as a simple indicative statement. That is where Jeremiah is saying I remember. So he's not asking God to remember. He's saying this is what he remembers. And in that case, I think the NIV translation based on the Septuagint understanding is probably more accurate. In verses 1 to 18, Jeremiah lamented his personal struggles as God judged Judah and Jerusalem for its sin, and in essence, he describes it in a way that Jerusalem could say, hey, Jeremiah, we understand what you're saying. We've experienced the same thing in verses 19 to 21. He undergoes a transformation. So in verses 19 to 20, he describes his focus on his problems and says how they caused him to bow down inside. It's almost as if he's saying that looking at his circumstances caused him to feel hopeless. But then he makes this dramatic change. He says, yet this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope. And what turned him from despondency to hope was a renewed focus on the faithfulness of God. So in the next two verses, he then moves from the singular I and me and my, describing his own experiences to apply the truth to the remnant. Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning. Great is your faithfulness. Anyway, I take remember in verse 19, not as an imperative, a request that's spoken by Jeremiah to God, but but as an indicative statement where he's continuing to describe himself.
S1: Jeremiah chapter 49 speaks about God's destruction of Elam, which is in modern day Iran. Allen says this seems to have end times meanings of some kind. Not clear to us what kind of a throne would the Lord set up in Iran? And when does this happen? Yeah. Well, let.
S2: Me first deal with that question of God setting up the throne by saying God will set up his throne. Jeremiah is picturing God arriving there to personally supervise Elam's destruction. Jeremiah used similar imagery earlier in the book. In Jeremiah 115, God announced he was going to send the kings who would set up their thrones at the entrance to the gate of Jerusalem. That was fulfilled in chapter 39, verse three, when all the officials of the king of Babylon came and took seats in the middle gate after Jerusalem had fallen. Later, Jeremiah predicted Nebuchadnezzar would defeat Egypt and set his throne over. These stones I've buried right here in chapter 43 says that by using the imagery in chapter 49, Jeremiah is saying, God will bring his forces against Elam and will personally be there to supervise their destruction. Your second question, though, related to when this was or might be fulfilled. And while there's some evidence that Nebuchadnezzar defeated the Elamites, I don't see that being totally fulfilling this prophecy. So I do agree. I think it has somewhat of an end time fulfillment. At the same time, I don't see this destruction being total or final. Since God ends by saying, in the last days I will restore the fortunes of Elam. And that's in verse 39 there. So God used almost those same words earlier when predicting the future destruction and restoration of Moab in chapter 48 and Ammon in chapter 49. So I do see in that sense that it is a bit of a future looking prophecy.
S1: James says, if you had to name three locations in the Holy Land that are the most key regarding salvation, which locations would those be?
S2: Well, if I had to pick my top three, they'd start with Jerusalem. Trace it from Abraham's meeting with Melchizedek to the sacrifice of Isaac on Mount Moriah. The second would be the Mount of Olives. It's always near Jerusalem, but it wasn't actually part of the city. And you think of Jesus on the Mount of Olives, the Garden of Gethsemane, his ascension there, and his second coming. And the third, crazy enough would be the Dead Sea, which in Ezekiel 47 is a picture of the life that God is going to give that dead sea. He's going to turn it from death to life as an image of what he's going to do for the nation of Israel.
S1: Thank you Charlie. Why not get your question to us via email at The Land and the book@moody.edu. The land and the book@moody.edu. I'm looking forward to what Charlie has to say in his devotional. That's next here on the land and the book. You have so many choices in what you listen to these days. Thank you for making time for the land and the book. We appreciate your company. We is Charlie Dyer, our host, and John Gager here as well. I'm looking forward to Charlie's Devotional Boy, a very timely, if not sobering word from you, Charlie. Give us a hint about what we're talking about today.
S2: Yeah, we're coming up on the one year anniversary of the invasion of Hamas on October 7th, and I want to take us to Lachish and look at that event.
S1: It's a spot in Israel that has remarkable parallels, as you're about to discover. First, though, a testimony from someone else who's been to Israel and walks away with this observation.
S4: Well, thank you for asking me to comment on the trip. The whole trip is added fact to my faith. That's just know that my faith is not based on suppositions or whatever people think. I saw the places that you show me, but the thing that probably meant most to me was the Mount Bental sitting on top of of the Golan Heights and looked down on that valley of tears. Where I saw where you. Where I followed all the wars that Israel had. And you could see 1500 tanks coming up there. And what Israel had to deal with and, and I just, I just tingled. And hearing the actual artillery in the backfield, the Syrian revolution going on and then meeting the Israeli patrol earlier and then talking to him. And then one of them was from Maryland. He came over from born and raised in Maryland and came over to join the Israeli army just because he thought he that was part of his duty. I just caused me to, you know, I can't explain it, but I tingled when I when I watched and looked at all that and just added so much to all I'd been reading.
S1: Lakish and Hamas. The two share something in common. Charlie unpacked this for us.
S2: Okay, John. Well, you've likely heard the expression those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. That lesson is nowhere more apparent than where we're now. Standing at the ancient site of Lachish during the reign of King Hezekiah. Lachish was the second largest city in the Kingdom of Judah. Only Jerusalem was larger. Located less than 17 miles from Israel's current border with Gaza, Lachish anchored the southwestern edge of the kingdom. Follow me up the ramp to the gate complex that was the main entrance into the city. Okay, we're now standing in the courtyard between the dual gates that guarded the entrance to Lachish. I suspect many of you don't even recall reading about Lachish in the Bible, in spite of its prominent history. The king of Lachish was one of the five kings who attacked Gibeon at the time of Joshua. Following his victory over the kings there, Lachish was one of the cities attacked and destroyed by Joshua. After the death of Solomon, King Rehoboam fortified Lachish to help defend his kingdom. Later, Judah's king Amaziah fled from Jerusalem to Lachish to avoid an assassination attempt, but his enemies chased him down and killed him there. Perhaps the two most troubling events at Lakish were the attacks on the city by King Sennacherib of Assyria and King Nebuchadnezzar of Judah. And today I want you to imagine what the city was like at the time of King Hezekiah, the time when it was attacked by King Sennacherib. I have a purpose for bringing you here today. This coming week is the one year anniversary of Hamas's brutal attack on Israel, just a few miles from where you're now standing. The horrors inflicted on Israel by Hamas a year ago parallel Sennacherib's attack on this city 2700 years earlier. Now, as you can see, the foundations of this massive gate complex still dominate the site. Look at the artist's drawing of the gate over there to your left. But as impressive as the drawing is, the gate itself would have looked even more imposing to any army coming to attack. Walk with me through the inner portion of the gate, and then look at the massive stone foundation Near the top of the site, you're looking at the base of a palace, the home of the regional governor, appointed by the King of Judah to oversee the area. In Micah one, the prophet mentions teams of horses at Lachish, likely referring to a division of chariots based here the ancient forerunners of today's mobile armor. You, who live in Lachish, harness the team of horses to the chariot. Micah cries out. The king of Assyria had a room in his palace at Nineveh, decorated with a carved relief showing his capture of the city of Lachish. One panel shows soldiers pulling a captured chariot out of the city, filled with looted spoils of war. At the bottom of the hill, Sennacherib himself directed the attack on Lachish. The carved relief shows the king seated on his throne near the city, and part of the inscription next to the throne identifies the one seated there as Sennacherib, king of the world, king of Assyria. In second Kings 1814 14. King Hezekiah sent this message to the king of Assyria at Lachish I have done wrong. Withdraw from me, and I will pay you whatever you demand of me. Sennacherib took the payment from Hezekiah, but then continued his attack, finally capturing Lachish. But how does Sennacherib's destruction of this ancient city offer insights into last year's attack by Hamas? Well, let me share several parallels. First, Hamas took Israel by surprise, overrunning a defensive barrier completed by Israel less than two years before. Israel's iron wall, with all its sensors, was designed to stop Hamas from tunneling underneath the barrier, but Hamas instead went through it in a mass assault. In the same way the gate and walls of Lachish were designed to be impregnable. But the Assyrians built a massive ramp and used siege engines to breach the top of the wall. Hamas used GoPro cameras to record their assault, while the Assyrians decorated a room in the king's palace in Nineveh to memorialize their attack. Hamas boasted of its vicious brutality, recording the murder, rape and torture of civilians and soldiers alike, and in doing so, they mirrored the actions of the Assyrians. Assyrians pictured captives begging for their lives, only to be beheaded. Other captives were tortured to death, their bodies gruesomely displayed for all to see. Not everyone was killed. Many were carried away into captivity. Sennacherib left several written records of his conquest. He boasted that he attacked Hezekiah, king of Judah, and took 46 of his strong walled cities, walled forts, and countless small villages. I carried away captive 200,150 people, young and old, male and female horses, mules, donkeys, camels, and oxen. Beyond counting among the more than 200,000 people taken captive were those from Lachish. Hamas abducted around 250 hostages to take back into Gaza. The only difference between the Assyrians and Hamas is that the Assyrians were able to attack the entire country, rather than just the small communities along the Gaza border. So how brutal was Hamas's attack last year? Some compare them to ISIS because of their savagery wrapped in Islamic fundamentalism, and that's a fair comparison. But to truly understand the impact of what Hamas wanted to do to Israel, I believe you need to go back to the Assyrians. Both were arrogant and boastful. Both were brutal and vicious. Both looked for new ways to torture, maim and kill. Both sought to wipe out the Jewish people, and both eventually discovered what God meant when he said, I will bless those who bless you and the one who curses you, I will curse. Hamas didn't learn the lesson. Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Or we might say what goes around comes around. The Assyrians are ancient history. Hamas attack is more recent history, but both are still history. So what lesson can we take away from our visit here at Lakish? How about this? We must never forget there is a God. He cares for his people. And he will hold accountable those who seek to harm them. That's true for the Jewish people today, because God's covenant with Abraham is still in effect. And it's also true for followers of Jesus, because we've been grafted into a place of blessing through Christ's death on our behalf. He won't allow life's troubles to overwhelm you. In 1855, Joseph Scriven wrote a poem to encourage his ailing mother that became the hymn What a Friend We Have in Jesus. If you're discouraged and downhearted today, listen to the final stanza of his poem. Are we weak and heavy laden, encumbered with a load of care? Precious Savior, still our refuge. Take it to the Lord in prayer. Do thy friends despise. Forsake thee? Take it to the Lord in prayer. In his arms he'll take and shield thee. Thou wilt find a solace there. The bottom line when you face trouble, don't depend on your own strength, ability, or resources. The only sure source of protection is the eternal Rock of ages.
S1: Thank you Charlie. And if you don't know for sure that Jesus is your eternal friend, your Savior, you can have that assurance today. You can receive Christ, his forgiveness of your wrongdoing, your sins. And a volunteer would be happy to pray with you as you call 888. Need him. I'll slow that down. 888. Need him. There's nothing to buy, so there's nothing to sell. All right. It's just a frank conversation about knowing Jesus forever. Eight. Eight. Eight. Need him. And on that note, we'll say so long, but want to thank our producer, Dan Anderson, our host, Charlie Dyer, and the management at the station for carving out airtime for the land and the book. A production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.