S1: You've seen the dramatic footage, you've read the headlines America and Israel's Attempts to destroy Iran's Nuclear weapons. If you've noticed an increasing number of stories, though, present conflicting viewpoints, how do we sift through all the spin to find the truth? Well, that's our conversation next. Welcome to the land and the book with Middle East scholar Doctor Charlie Dyer. I'm John Geiger, and we're about to take a look at the major stories coming out of the Middle East, including an in-depth look at the situation in Iran. First, though, Romans 116 says the gospel is to the Jew first and also to the Gentile. But how do you share the good news with a Jewish person because of cultural, historical, and religious differences? It's sometimes challenging to navigate a gospel conversation with somebody from a Jewish background. You ever wondered how the professionals do it?
S2: Well, to answer that question, our friends at Life in Messiah want to mail you samples of the tracks their staff use as they share the gospel. This will serve a dual purpose of equipping you with methods of presenting the gospel, while also supplying you with tracks you can share with your Jewish friends and neighbors. Life in Messiah's Prayer is that these tracks will help further the spread of the gospel among the Jewish people. To receive this helpful assortment of tracks, all you need to do is visit Life in Messiah org and click on the radio button there for more information. That's life in Messiah. Don't miss out on this great opportunity.
S1: And now let's swing our focus toward current events in the Middle East. America's strikes on Iran's nuclear facilities last weekend took the war between Israel and Iran in a dramatically different direction. What impact would those strikes have, though long term, on the current conflict?
S2: Well, the strikes demonstrated the willingness of President Trump to actively intervene to stop Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons. When Iran rejected giving up nuclear enrichment. President Trump followed through on his threat. Now that message was heard by Iran and by everyone else in the Middle East. Two days later, the president was able to announce a cease fire, ending the 12 day war with Israel as the clear winner. In spite of what Iran is saying, Iran's nuclear program was hit hard. Its stockpiles of missiles and launchers have been degraded and much of the leadership has been eliminated. Now, this doesn't mean the Islamic Republic of Iran will be overthrown, or that they'll now give up their nuclear ambitions. Ayatollah Khamenei is 86 years old and has health issues, so he might not be around too much longer. But another ayatollah will likely be chosen to replace him. Iran could experience a time of internal unrest, but the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and the army, at least right now, continue to support the ayatollahs. If the Islamic Republic stays in power, it will continue trying to develop nuclear weapons. Theologically, the ayatollahs are committed to the destruction of Israel to help bring in the Mahdi, their Islamic messiah. Now, all that to say, Iran's long term goals haven't changed, but their ability to rebuild their nuclear facilities and to fund and support terror groups has been greatly diminished. One key question still to be answered is what has become of that £900 of enriched uranium? That's enough to ultimately build ten nuclear bombs. And right now, there is no clear answer. Iran's retaliatory attack in response to the U.S. destruction of its nuclear sites was minimal. It had telegraphed it in advance, and it was ineffective. It was designed to give Iran a face saving way to bring the conflict to an end, without provoking further U.S. action. And the missiles they launched against Israel after the start of the cease fire were also intended as a face saving measure. Israel responded with a token attack just to let them know it can and will still hold them accountable. Now we need to watch and see if a cease fire can be brokered between Israel and Hamas as a result of the end of this conflict, and hopefully free the remaining hostages and bring that conflict to an end. But it does look like things might finally start to calm down in the region, at least temporarily. And that would be welcome news for many.
S1: That's doctor Charlie Dyer. I'm John Yeager. This is the land and the book. A look at current events from the Middle East. As always at the top of our weekly get together. Well, the focus for weeks has been on Israel and Iran, of course, but what's been happening in some of the other countries in the region. Can you give us a brief flyover?
S2: Well, Turkey's economy continues to struggle. Their treasury and finance minister went on social media to try to address concerns over the impact of the war between Israel and Iran on Turkey's economy. He offered lots of assurances, but really few specifics. Meanwhile, five district mayors were suspended from office and arrested in President Erdogan's continuing crackdown on political opponents. These actions just continue to cause unrest throughout Turkey. Syria is struggling with the resurgence of ISIS and other Islamic terrorist groups. Last Sunday, a suicide bomber killed 25 people and injured dozens of others inside a church on the outskirts of Damascus. And speaking of terrorism, it could also be on the rise in Iraq. Iraq addressed its growing prison overcrowding by granting amnesty to 19,000 prisoners, including members of ISIS, who had been convicted on terrorism related charges. Iraqi forces intercepted messengers from Syria with instructions for ISIS members in Iraq to launch attacks. And authorities in Iraq tracked down and killed a suicide bomber just before he was able to detonate his explosive belt in a crowded restaurant, finally moving to Libya, a truce put in place in Tripoli to stop the fighting between the different armed groups. There remains rather shaky. The problem is that security in Libya's capital has been effectively outsourced to different armed groups with official sounding names, but actually little loyalty to the state. These countries, all of them, seem to vacillate between internal chaos and corruption, or strict control under a dominant central leader. Unfortunately, neither option bodes well for their long term stability.
S1: Here's an interesting story. Archaeologists announced the discovery of a 1700 year old sarcophagus in Caesarea. What do we know about this rather unusual discovery?
S2: Well, the sarcophagus dates back to the Roman era and apparently belonged to someone of great wealth. It's carved out of white marble, which isn't native to Israel. It was likely quarried and carved in northwestern Turkey and then shipped to Caesarea by boat. The other thing that makes the sarcophagus so unique is the carving on the outside, which depicts a scene from Greek mythology showing a drinking contest between Heracles or we might call him Hercules and Dionysus, the god of wine. The sarcophagus was uncovered outside the walled area of Caesarea. A mausoleum had been built in connection with the sarcophagus, with mosaic floors and other decorations. Apparently some inscriptions were also uncovered during the excavations, but those details have not yet been made public. Right now, we don't know the nature of the person who had the sarcophagus carved and brought to Caesarea. Apart from the fact that he was probably a wealthy pagan who perhaps loved to drink. But there is one other detail. A few hundred years after the sarcophagus and mausoleum were built, the site where they were located fell into disrepair and became part of the city dump. It's a good reminder, I guess, that our best efforts for lasting fame here in this life are only an illusion. It reminds me of the words of that great missionary CT Studd. Only one life. Twill soon be past. Only what's done for Christ will last. Mm.
S1: Great perspective. How about perpetual power for robots? Well, that's the vision propelling Israeli startup Kapow and its plan to develop a flexible power transfer system for any robotic fleet. Tell us more about this rather unusual innovation from amazing Israel.
S2: You know, John, this is a system that when you see it in action, you slap the side of your head and say, now, why didn't I think of that? Robotics are becoming part of everyday life in more industries. From Amazon's order fulfillment centers to the robotic delivery of parts inside auto assembly plants. But the downside to having so many robots is that you have to plan on downtime for each one to allow for recharging, along with allocating space for those robots to sit idle while being charged. On average, each robot needs to charge for an hour. After working for three. So if you need to have 100 robots working at any one time, you need to invest in a fleet of 130 robots to allow for those offline. That's what led a professor at Ben-Gurion University to develop Kapow! A cartoon sounding word that stands for capacitive power. A he and his team developed a wireless power in motion platform that allows a robotic fleet to receive a sip of energy while passing over the strategically placed charging pads. And they developed a floor planner app to help companies place these charging pads at strategic locations, so robots are charged while going about their regular routine. The system can be installed on concrete, metal, wood or on shelving. And it's been demonstrated to work with more than 20 types of robotic families, reduce the initial investment in a company's fleet of robots, and reclaim floor space lost to charging zones, all by installing a headache free plug and play seamless energy solution that charges the robots as they drive up and down warehouse aisles. This is another great innovation from Amazing Israel and if you're interested, Google Kapow! Kapow! To watch videos of the system in action.
S1: Hey, who wrote the Bible? Scholars say a new algorithm may shatter scholarly certainty on the subject. What's the truth behind these claims, Charlie?
S2: Well, let's just say I'm underwhelmed. And this so-called announcement, it really tries to use computer algorithms and use fancy words like that to help people think that there's somehow difference in the Bible, but in reality, it's just an old system dressed up. Uh, how did they do it? They took specific words like the word no and said, that has to be connected with Deuteronomy. Uh, well, commands in Deuteronomy all start with no, uh, it uses the word gold and said, that must be a priestly thing. But when you talk about the ark or the temple, you end up with gold. So, uh, if you hear about this system, don't believe it. It's really not that important, but it made the headlines.
S1: Coming up on the land and the book, A conversation with Rob West about tearing down the idols of money. The Bible contains more than 2300 references to money and possessions, which means what you think about stuff. What you do with your stuff is big stuff to him. So how can we really know we're on a biblical track with our finances? This is the land and the book. I'm John Gager coming up. We're going to get in your face about what's in your wallet first. Join me in thinking through how we can maybe better connect. In a gospel conversation with a Jewish friend. Eva Rydell is on staff with Chosen People Ministries and has joined us today in the studio here on the land of the book. And I got a question for you, Eva, with so much resistance on the part of Jewish people to the notion of Jesus as Messiah, what can we, as lovers of Jesus, do to make him more appealing?
S3: Ah, great question. I think, first of all, I think we should pray. You know, it says in Psalm 122 four, pray for the peace of Jerusalem. And I think that does mean literally for the city of Jerusalem, the land of Israel. But it also means for our individual Jewish friends, we should pray for them. And do you know the only verse in the whole Bible that talks about praying for the salvation of people? It's in Romans ten when it says, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they might be saved. Yeah. The command in the Scripture is pray for the salvation of Jewish people. So I think that's the first thing. Pray by name. Pray believing. Ask for opportunities. Ask for clarity. Ask for boldness. Pray for their understanding of who Messiah is. They'll come to that faith point. And secondly is be bold. You know. Lovingly share your life and your love of Jesus with your Jewish friends. Again, start with felt need, not with messianic prophecy that comes later, but start with those areas of commonality, of where people are facing the pavement of life and say, you know, God works for me here, and he works for you too. And Jesus is God.
S1: Pray boldly and speak lovingly.
S3: Exactly. Perfectly put.
S1: Eva Rydell is with Chosen People Ministries. Rob West is the host of Faith and Finance Live, heard on more than 900 radio outlets every day, including Moody Radio. Rob also serves as the president of Kingdom Advisors, an international community of financial professionals who are specialists in delivering biblically wise financial advice. Rob serves as primary spokesman for the organization and he gives leadership to a strategy there. Rob and his wife, Julie, live in Marietta, Georgia with their four children. And I know I'm about to have a great day at Moody Radio whenever Rob West is in the studio. Thanks for connecting with us today, Rob.
S4: John, my friend, great to be with you.
S1: Well, Rob, our program, of course, is called The Land and the book. Issues related to money and possessions, though, are found in almost every chapter of the book. Genesis two describes the land of Havilah, which is filled with gold, and in chapter 23 of that first book, we see the first financial transaction involving a purchase of land. And of course, very few pages in the entire Bible are without some kind of reference to finances. So my question why does God care so much about what we do with our money and possessions?
S4: Oh, it's such a great question, John. And, you know, I have found and I've spent my entire professional career at the intersection of faith and finance, that our financial journey is one of the key ways that God shapes our spiritual journey. And I think the reason is that money issues are hard issues. You remember what Jesus said? He says, for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. So our heart follows our money. And if you think about it, John, the way we allocate God's resources and it all belongs to him, That's the one big idea we need to begin with, and therefore we're stewards. Or if you translate that word in the New Testament, Oikonomos, where the household manager of the King of kings. We're then charged with being found faithful with God's resources. And our hearts are so interconnected to this issue that I think that's why it's front and center. That's why Jesus is not only using it as an illustration, there's also plenty of direct teaching about money, because when we take this good gift and allow it to occupy first position in our lives, well, it competes with God for lordship. We worship the creation over the creator, and that's when we have real problems.
S1: Well, if you visit the Kingdom Advisors website, which you definitely should, there's a big, bold question that you're immediately confronted with I love this. What if we live as if God owns it all? Now, Rob, I saw that and I began thinking, we can't even take a single breath without God's enabling. So how do we almost instinctively reach the outrageous conclusion that, quote, our money is ours?
S4: Yeah. Exactly right. And it comes down to pride. And I think so often we think about the things that we have, the resources that we have as if they are from our own doing. And, you know, I go to the the parable of the rich fool. I mean, listen to what he says here. He he says the land of a rich man produced plentifully. And he thought to himself, what shall I do? For I have nowhere to store my crops. And he says, I will do this. I will tear down my barns and build larger ones. And there I will store all my grain and my goods. I mean, he uses the word I or my nine times in two verses. Wow. And I think, you know, we can point fingers and say, oh, he's got it all wrong. But how often do we do that in our own lives where we take credit for something that is ultimately God's?
S1: Yeah, it's either me and mine or him and his.
S4: That's right.
S1: Rob West is the host of Faith and Finance Live. He's also president of Kingdom Advisors, and we're focused today on tearing down the idol of money. Rob, you've written that Jesus talked a lot about money because it's a chief competitor for our hearts. What is it about money that makes us want to idolize it, though?
S4: Well, if you think about it, we have this God sized hole in our hearts. We were created for abundance, and we try to stuff all kinds of things in that space, thinking it will provide lasting fulfillment and contentment and significance. And I think money is one of those primary competitors. The late Tim Keller said in his book Counterfeit Gods that money is the most common counterfeit God. He said, I've had every sin confessed in my office, save one, and it's the sin of greed. And I think it's because we try to redeem greed in the name of the American dream. And we've just got to be careful there, because really, it's about making God our ultimate treasure. When we treasure him above everything else and realize that he is our abundance, he is the thing that will provide fulfillment and significance. And then we put money in its proper place as a tool to accomplish God's purposes. Well, that changes everything. Yeah.
S1: I want to go back to that Luke 12 parable you mentioned of the the farmer with his bumper crop. He was going to build bigger barns. And, and you know, the God says of him, you fool, tonight your life will be required of you. I think of the chilling words, though, that are at the end of that parable. And Jesus condemns this man's outlook with these words. So it will be for anyone who stores up treasure for himself and is not rich in relation to God. Boy, that's a chilling thought to be to be rich in treasures for ourselves, but not in relation to God. That's that's a poverty that you don't really recover from.
S4: No, that's exactly right. And I think that's why this parable is so poignant. Listen to these words from author Paul David Tripp. He writes, what the Bible clearly teaches is that when functional, life shaping love for money and what it allows you to acquire and enjoy squeezes out of your heart the functional, life shaping love for God that was designed to be the organizing principle of your life. Then you're a person in deep spiritual trouble. He goes on to say, money is one of God's good creations, but this good thing becomes a bad thing for you when it becomes a ruling thing. He finishes by saying, you simply cannot serve the King of Kings, and have the acquisition of wealth as the organizing dream of your heart. You see, John, if God is our ultimate treasure, our life will reflect God's character to the world as image bearers of this relational and generous God. One beautiful and tangible way we exhibit our love for God is through our financial decisions, and it's ultimately about making God our ultimate treasure and again, putting money in its proper place.
S1: Boy, what a quote there. The organizing dream of your heart. That's great. Hey, thanks for connecting with us today on the land and the book. I'm John Yeager. Our guest. Rob West has a massive ax in his hands. That's because he's helping us chop down the idol of money. All right, Rob, for somebody who is serious about wanting to tear down the idol of money, what's step one?
S4: Well, we've got to change our perspective. It really does come down to this idea that we started with today, John, and that is that God is the owner of everything. I own nothing, but I have stewardship responsibilities. You and I are money managers for the King of Kings. That's a high calling. We have to start there. But I think if we're if we're going to break through the stronghold that money can have over us, remember, it's a good gift. But there is a seduction of wealth that the Bible talks about. And if we're going to break through that, I think generosity is one of the keys to that. Giving actually breaks the grip of money over our lives. When we hold it loosely, we're saying, God, I trust you. You are my provider and therefore I can give it away and be a part of your activity in the world, knowing that you will continue to provide and just watch as that stronghold of money begins to just fall away.
S1: You know, as I listen to this conversation with you, Rob, I'm struck by the fact that that it seems like maybe, maybe. And I'll let you be the judge here. You're the expert. Pride is the issue more than stuff. You see, the moment we believe that we have stuff, that we are the owners. Well, that gives us a significance. That gives us a place, it gives us position. But when we realize we have nothing, we own nothing. It's all God's. That puts us in a position of undeniable humility. So is it not maybe the ultimate sin being pride as opposed to possessions themselves?
S4: I think you're exactly right. I mean, if we go back to that rich man in Jesus parable, he's not being a faithful steward because a faithful steward understands that the Lord is the source of financial blessings. So instead of feeling proud about our Possessions. We use our resources to glorify God and serve others, and I think that's where we so often miss the mark by taking credit for our success and then using God's money to serve ourselves. That's both proud and greedy. We need to flip the script and be rich toward God.
S1: This is the land and the book. I'm John Gager. Glad to be hanging out with one of my very favorite people, Rob West. Rob serves as president of Kingdom Advisors. He's also the host of Faith and Finance Live. All right. A second step or third step for somebody serious about wanting to tear down the idol of money.
S4: So once we understand God owns it all and we're giving generously, then we need to recognize that God has given us instructions in His Word about how we're to handle money. And, you know, we have to live within God's provision. We live in a world that allows us to live beyond that through the use of debt. And so I think taking this next step of saying, I'm going to rightsize size my spending in a way that allows me to live within God's provision. But even more than that, John, the way we allocate our money tells a story about what's most important to us. And here's the question do you agree with the story? Your money is telling about what's truly most important to you, and if not, what changes do we need to make? So I think after we build in that rhythm of generosity, we've got to take a hard look at how we're actually allocating God's resources.
S1: It seems to me we can't or won't be successful at tearing down the idol of money. Apart from a switch in focus where heaven becomes the driving force. Your response?
S4: Yeah, that's exactly right. I mean, ultimately, when we treasure God above everything else, our finances are one of the most tangible expressions of that. I love what Ron Blue, one of my mentors and the the author of more than 20 books on biblical finance. He says money is a tool to accomplish God's purposes. It's a test to see if we're going to allow it to to rival our hearts for devotion to God. But it's also a testimony to the world, because how we handle God's money is really a testimony as to our trust and our devotion to God. Are we going? Even in the midst of uncertainty, to continue to trust God and handle his money appropriately and even continue to give? What an opportunity.
S1: At your website you've got a really great resource called Wisdom Over Wealth 12 Lessons on Money from Ecclesiastes. Describe that.
S4: Yeah. So we took a deep dive into this incredible book where the preacher really talks about the brevity of life and celebrates the idea that we can use the brevity of life. This five minutes we have on the summit of life, to think about how much pain we're in from trekking up the mountain, or to really focus on how great and vast and amazing God is, and worship him and put everything in its proper perspective. It's ultimately about wisdom over wealth. And here's the secret, John. Wisdom is found in a person and his name is Jesus.
S1: All right. I'm going to invite you to point people to your website where you have not just this resource, but many more, including an app that people can download, talk just for a minute about what people can do if they want to make this personal, this idea of tearing down the idol of money. How can you resource our listeners? Rob.
S4: Well, if you head to Faith. Com that's faith. Philly.com. You'll find a lot of great resources there, including content that I think John leans into this idea of changing your perspective. Remember, we've got to get away from this idea that everything we have is ours and accept our role as a steward, and there are real implications to that. And I think a lot of the resources there will help you down that path. And then to your point, not only the studies and the devotionals, like our new one, Wisdom Over Wealth, but also the app that will allow you on a daily basis to put a plan together that truly reflects what's most important to you as a Christ follower, as you make daily financial decisions.
S1: All right, one more time. The website is.
S4: Faith. Com that's faith. Philly.com.
S1: All right. And that's Rob West, president of Kingdom Advisors. You can also hear him daily on the program Faith and Finance Live. Great to have you with us today, Rob.
S4: John, always a pleasure.
S1: Well, coming up, it's another set of Bible questions, always something that somebody thought about that maybe you have too, but never got an answer to. It's next on the land and the book. Welcome back to the land and the book segment three. I'm John Gager, honored to be sitting down with Doctor Gerald Peterman. How long have you been teaching at the Moody Bible Institute, sir?
S5: Oh, wow. I'm so thankful. 23 years. Wow.
S1: That's a lot of classes. A lot of students and a lot of questions that have been asked of you.
S5: And a lot of really good times. Yes, indeed.
S1: Well, questions and answers are what this segment is all about. We're looking forward to digging into a whole collection of questions that have come in via email. You know, Romans 116 says that the gospel is to the Jew first and also to the Gentile. So the question here is, how do you share the gospel with a Jewish person? Because of cultural, historical and religious differences, it sometimes rather challenging to navigate a gospel conversation with someone from a Jewish background. You ever wondered how the professionals do it?
S5: To answer this question, our friends at Life and Messiah want to mail you samples of the tracks their staff use as they share the gospel. This will serve a dual purpose of equipping you with methods of presenting the gospel, and also supplying you with tracks you can share with your Jewish friends and neighbors. Life in Messiah's Prayer is that these tracks will further the spread of the gospel among the Jewish people. To receive this helpful assortment of tracks, all you need to do is visit Life in Messiah Org and click on the Moody Radio button for more information. That's life in Messiah. Don't miss out on this great opportunity.
S1: Yeah, I think that's a neat idea. A helpful assortment of tracks there that you can use. Probably one very specifically tailored for your friend. All right. Our first question of the day is from Todd, who takes us to numbers chapter 20. There Balak warns Balaam, you got to say those right. Keep them straight, Balak and Balaam. He warns Balaam to go with him and to curse Israel. So why in numbers 2220 was Balaam told by God to go? And then under God's anger, because he went?
S5: It's a little bit of a puzzle, isn't it? It's hard to know with certainty, but we get a hint from second Peter 215, where the apostle says that Balaam loved the wages of unrighteousness. That is, he loves an evil way of making money. Balak promised to greatly honor Balaam. This is numbers 2217, and Jewish tradition believes that Balaam's fairly quick response to Balak indicates his eagerness to curse Israel, and that's what Balak wants. So it appears to me that Balaam wrongly assumed that God would allow him to curse Israel so he could get a bunch of financial reward. And the Lord was angry. And of course, Balaam learns otherwise as he continues to travel on his donkey.
S1: All right, Earls question. He says on a previous Q&A segment, the question was asked, why doesn't Satan repent knowing that he is lost? He says, I think the degree of his evil is beyond forgiveness, as you said on the radio. But I'd like to add a thought isn't Satan guilty of constant blasphemy ongoing? Or is it just pride?
S5: You know, I really appreciate this follow up. Listeners are listening and they're engaged. Isn't that wonderful? Yeah, I think the short answer to that question is yes, our enemy is a horrific blasphemer. If we go to revelation 13, we find that a beast will arise. He has been given great authority by the dragon. And then we read later in revelation 13 six that the beast opened its mouth to utter blasphemies against God, blaspheming his name and his dwelling. Then revelation 20 identifies the dragon as that ancient serpent as the devil and Satan. So Earl is right. The beast blasphemes because the dragon Blasphemes.
S1: Yeonmi's question is based in John chapter six verse 21. She says, can you please explain this first? I'm confused.
S5: Well, let's read the verse. Yeah, that will help us. I think in John six, our Lord Jesus walks on water and then he steals a storm. Amazing stuff. And then 621 says, then they were glad to take him into the boat, and immediately the boat was at the land to which they were going. This looks like a further miracle. Yeah. First he walks on the water, then he stills the storm, and then the boat comes right away to where they were going. But you know what? I suspect that this verse, John 621, is an allusion to Psalm 107 and the great works of God amongst his people, especially Psalm 107, verse 30. It says. Then they were glad that the waters were quiet, and he brought them to their desired haven.
S1: You know, listening to you read that passage and sort of highlight that detail there makes me wonder how many other smaller miracles, quote unquote, things that were missing in our readings of Scripture.
S5: Oh, I wouldn't doubt it, because many times we read shallowly, even I sometimes just kind of read half awake. But I think if we pay close attention, God will bring things to mind. Yeah.
S1: And not only that, you know, we're told in Scripture many other things Jesus did that were if they were recorded, they wouldn't be room for them all.
S5: Oh, even the world couldn't hold all the books. Yeah, right.
S1: Amazing. All right. Eric wants to know, can you explain what the author of Hebrews is getting at in Hebrews 12, verses 25 through 29? What are the applications, if any, that we can draw from these verses?
S5: Oh, Hebrews is a wonderful book, and I really appreciate what Doctor Ron Sauer does on this portion in the Moody Bible Commentary when he explains it. The writer warns in verse 25 that we should not refuse the God who is speaking to them from the Old Testament in the gospel and in this letter. And he refers back to Israel at Mount Sinai, and how if they didn't listen to Moses, they were punished. And that means if we do not listen to God, the one who speaks from heaven will be punished. To our listeners are familiar with the book of Hebrews, and how many times it warns about falling away. And this particular passage is the last warning about falling away in Hebrews. So the writer of Hebrews actually draws the application for us in the last two verses of this passage. First, we should be thankful to God for rescuing us in Christ, and then we should offer him acceptable service with fear and reverence. That's our proper conclusion.
S1: So far, we've already talked about Balak and Balaam. We've been to Hebrews. We've been to John, the gospel of John, a question about Satan, just all kinds of great, great, great questions. And yours is welcome, by the way, at the land and the book at Moody's. That's a mouthful. Let me slow it down. The land and the book at Moody's. How long does it take to get an answer?
S5: Somewhere between two days and a week.
S1: Okay.
S5: It depends on, you know, what else is going on in my life. Okay. How many exams after grade?
S1: But you you will get an answer.
S5: You'll get an answer. Hang in there. Pray. Pray for me. All right.
S1: This question from Isagani, who says Ezekiel 45 through 48 are confusing me. As we studied this book during our Bible study, it was said that the chapters pertained to the millennial reign. If that's true, why is there a need for sacrifices then?
S5: That's a really good question, and many wonder about this question. I do think that these chapters about a new temple are referring to the millennial reign. And then we have to ask ourselves the question, then why would there be? Why would there be sacrifices? Well, I take it that the sacrifices are going to look back to Christ and be illustrations of the work he has done. In other words, the sacrifices during the millennium are not atoning sacrifices. As a matter of fact, during the Old Testament period, when the sacrifices were being given, they weren't atoning either. The writer of Hebrews tells us that it's impossible for the blood of goats and bulls to take away sins. Only the death of Christ can do this. So during the millennium, you will find regular Jewish worship going on in memory of Messiah. We should also remember that the early church Acts two and following those Jewish believers, those Jewish believers in Messiah Jesus didn't abandon temple worship. As a matter of fact, they engaged in it regularly. Acts two, acts three, acts five. And furthermore, that is, they didn't see the ongoing sacrifices being given in and that is some reason to stay away.
S1: Dave takes us to Psalm 119, verse 102, where the psalmist declares, I have not departed from your laws, for you yourself have taught me. And here's the question in what sense does God teach individuals, when so many have created so many denominations over differing interpretations of God's Word?
S5: Well, I appreciate Dave's question. It is a little bit frustrating for us, but the Psalm itself actually doesn't give us an answer to this question. That is you, Lord, teach me. So let's think back through the Old Testament. How has God taught his people? He's taught his people through prophets. He's taught his people through the Word of God, through Scripture. He's taught his people through the Levitical priesthood. They were to learn Scripture and they were to teach it to others. So he's often taught his people through agents. He's often used agents to teach his people. As a matter of fact, I think that's the typical way. And so let me give you another example from Corinthians. That is certainly Paul taught the Corinthians. He he was with them at least twice. He wrote them at least four letters. Now how well did they catch on? Well, some of them caught on pretty well. Some of them didn't catch on pretty well. So being taught, even being taught by an apostle spirit inspired. Giving you the commandments of God doesn't guarantee that we pick up on it. So to get back to the concern of this questioner, why so many denominations? I think that's a tragic that's very sad for us. One of the reasons why we don't listen to what God has taught.
S1: Yeah. Well, I think you've touched on it. Well, there the fact of the matter is, even if it's Jesus himself in the room explaining a passage, some of us are going to walk away with things he never said. Yes, yes. And so that's part of the reason. It isn't that God has failed to speak or God has failed to teach. We have failed to learn.
S5: Oh, John, that's a that's a really good point that I should have brought in myself. Folks, you love the Gospels. Keep reading the Gospels. Jesus teaches. And then sometimes people ask, what? What did that mean? Yeah, tell us what that means, you know. So even being taught by God does not necessarily mean you always get it.
S1: Well, I hope you've enjoyed this conversation as much as I have. Maybe you'd like to hear it all again. It's available as part of our podcast at The Land and the books. Share that podcast with your friends too. And while you're doing that, let them know that they can ask their Bible question as well. With an email to the land and the book at Moody's. That's the land and the book at Moody's. Don't go away. Charlie Dyer's devotional is coming up right here on the land and the book. Presenting a quiz from your friends at the land and the book. Fasten your seat belts. Here we go. Can you identify the source of this quote? When? In the course of human events. I'll say it again. When? In the course of human events. What does that come from? If you guess the Declaration of Independence. You're right. And, Charlie, there is a different declaration of independence and dependence that we're headed to in today's devotional, I understand.
S2: You're exactly right, John. We're going to hear about a Declaration of Independence before ours.
S1: Okay. I'll look forward to that conversation after we listen to this testimony from an Israel traveler who shares this with you and me.
S6: I'm Candy lamb from Irving, Texas. I came here in the late 90s. There have been a lot of changes, a lot more people, a lot more conflict that's going on. But I still always felt safe. The thing about this trip is that we have uncovered Covered more and more about what the scriptures say about where the places are. It's just been phenomenal to really know the deep history and the perfect planning of God's people. We studied the Tabernacle last year and I saw what a detailed person our God is. And he certainly is, even today in Israel.
S7: I'm all good. Griffin from Vail, Colorado. And for me, this trip was about the moments and the people. Each spot had a special moment and an aha moment as well as each dinner, each breakfast, each bus ride had special people on it, and they taught me and shared their stories with me. And it was great.
S1: We're headed for Second Kings Chapter ten today on the land and the book. In this fourth and final segment, Charlie, take it away with your devotional.
S2: Okay, well, this coming week is the 4th of July. The fireworks displays are getting set up. The charcoal briquettes are ready to be lit. The hamburgers and hot dogs have all been purchased and are ready to be devoured. The parades are organized and the flags are starting to be unfurled. Yep. Independence day is just about here. This 249th celebration of the signing of the Declaration of Independence looks back at a key moment in our nation's history. But today, I want to look at a declaration of independence. Independence that took place 2859 years ago. So for those who remember The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, as Mr. Peabody would say to his boy, Sherman set the Wayback Machine to the year 835 BC. As we travel to Jerusalem to watch the royal coronation of a seven year old boy. And just like that, we're standing in the temple courtyard. There before us is an elderly man wearing the robes, breastplate and turban of the high priest. He looks to be somewhere over 90 years old. Next to him is a very young boy, and by young I mean a child of seven. He definitely looks out of place in this gathering of adults and surrounding the pair are hundreds of armed guards, swords drawn and shields raised for protection. It's early Saturday morning. The Sabbath and the number of armed guards present is about three times the normal number on duty. There's a sense of excitement in the air. Something is about to happen. The past seven years were years of struggle and uncertainty. The last legitimate king of Judah had been killed near Megiddo. He was an evil king, but at least he was from the line of David. When he died, his mother Athaliah, who was none other than the daughter of Ahab and Jezebel, gave orders to kill every male child from the line of David. Her plan was to seize control and rule the kingdom herself, and it required her to kill every remaining descendant of David. Every child who could legitimately claim the throne. In the bloodbath that ensued, she almost wiped out all of David's descendants, but one baby was snatched away in the confusion. That child was carried to the temple and hidden away with the priests. All God's promises to David were now resting on a single thread, one young baby, and for seven years the child was kept hidden from view, locked in a temple that was largely forsaken by a queen who was driven to install Baal as the new god of Judah. But the moment of independence had now arrived. The high priest Jehoiada rehearses his final instructions to the commanders of the guard surround the king, each with his weapon in his hand, and whoever comes within the ranks shall be put to death, and be with the king when he goes out. And when he comes in, just like the Secret Service today, the role of these royal guards was simple at all cost. Protect the life of the King. Remember, there was no vice king, no second in command who could take his place if this child were killed. David's royal line was finished. The coronation celebration went off without a hitch as Jehoiada placed the crown on the young boy's head. The crowd in the temple court shouted with joy and clapped their hands. Long live the king! Wicked queen Athaliah heard the commotion and rushed from her palace to the temple to see what all the shouting was about. When she saw the young boy with a crown on his head, she screamed treason, treason and tried to escape. But she was captured. Taken outside the temple and put to death, America struggled to break free from British control. Didn't end until seven years after the signing of the Declaration of Independence. In contrast, the people of Judah experienced their seven years of oppression and struggle before this declaration. While the final battle took just a few minutes, our founding fathers wrote out their declaration at the beginning of the rebellion. But Judah's declaration came at the end of the battle, and the declaration was a declaration of independence from Baal and a declaration of dependence on the God of Israel. As Jehoiada put the crown on the head of young King Josiah. He also placed a copy of the covenant in his hand, perhaps to help the young king fulfill Deuteronomy 17, where God commanded each king to write for himself a copy of this law on a scroll. And then, just after Queen Athaliah was put to death, Jehoiada made a covenant between the Lord and the King and the people, that they should be the Lord's people. Israel was free from wicked Queen Athaliah and her Baal worship, but they were not free from following God or from submitting to his authority. This was a day of independence, but it was also a day they chose to follow God and to be dependent on him. The real hero of this story, this Independence Day drama, was the High priest Jehoiada. At an age when most would have been long retired. He continued to serve God with a passion and a devotion that left men half his age struggling to keep up. When he finally died at the amazing age of 130, he was honored in a way that no other person outside the line of David had ever been honored before. The compiler of Second Chronicles reported the honor this way. They buried him in the city of David among the kings, because he had done well in Israel and to God and his house. Jehoiada was buried in the royal tomb belonging to David and the kings of Israel, because in a very real sense, he ruled over Israel at a time when there was no adult from the line of David capable of providing strong leadership. What an epitaph. Well, on The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, Mr. Peabody and Sherman would end their time travel with a terrible pun, but our journey back in time ends with a far more profound observation. We live in a day when it seems as if the very foundations of faith are collapsing around us, and it's very tempting for us to lower our spiritual profile, become less vocal about our faith, or even to just give in to what seems to be the new norm for society. But Jehoiada reminds us that God wants us to walk a different path. Jehoiada acted wisely and courageously as he took a stand for God. He showed wisdom by hiding this young descendant of David for seven years, until the child was old enough to be accepted as king. And he showed courage when he stood up to publicly proclaim this young boy as king. With our 2020 hindsight, we see God's hand of protection on him through this dark period. But he didn't know that he would succeed, and that's why he ordered the guards to protect the King with their lives. Failure meant death. But he was willing to take a stand for what was right, even if it cost him his life. And his wisdom and courage brought Judah a day of independence from Queen Athaliah and the worship of Baal, and a new era of dependence on the God of Israel. So how willing are you to take your stand for God, regardless of the cost? May God give us all the wisdom and courage to do what's right, so our spiritual epitaph can say, we did what was good in our land for God and for his work.
S1: Thank you Charlie. A fitting Independence Day devotional. Our website is The Land and the book. We welcome you to visit there information about all of our guests, past programs, future programs, and very importantly, our podcast. Is there something that you can enjoy yourself? And best of all, share with a friend. Not everybody can hear us on a on a radio station, so a podcast is a great option to share us with your friends. Thanks for passing the word along. About the land and the book. A production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute. See you next time.