S1: Max Lucado is one of America's most read Christian authors. You know him for his devotionals, but now he invites us to join him in focusing on future events, world prophecy, and what happens next. In just a few minutes, we're going to connect with special guest Max Lucado for a conversation about what's ahead. Right now, though, I want to welcome you to the land and the book from Moody Radio, where we take you to the Middle East and back with a biblical look at all that's going on. Our host is Doctor Charlie Dyer, noted Middle East expert, and I'm John Gieger. Charlie boy Israel certainly in the news again. And as the Bible is jam packed with end times prophecies about end times, world events, the regathering of the Jewish people to their ancient homeland. And Jesus soon returned. It seems to me it's crucial for us as believers to have a proper understanding of Bible prophecy. Why? Well, so our view of the future is shaped by Scripture, not just stuff we're reading online.
S2: You're absolutely right, John. And with that in mind, our friends at Life and Messiah have published a book titled God, Israel and Bible Prophecy, and they're offering it to listeners of the land in the book for a limited time. This informative book is focused on providing readers with a deeper understanding and greater appreciation of what God has in store for Israel and the nations by digging into what the scriptures say about these issues. If you're interested in learning more about what God has in store, visit Life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button there to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: Charlie, a real important announcement right now. We've got a five book blast giveaway going on right now, five books we're giving away to anybody who will send in an email and be part of this drawing by Sunday at midnight. Enter to win this five book blast. Who's in this book blast? Well, we've got Charlie Dyer's Experiencing the Land of the book, a life changing journey through Israel. Just all kinds of great color photos and stories that you won't hear anywhere else. We've got wrestling with job, defiant faith in the face of suffering, a walking tour of the Gospels. In this way we came to Rome. This is an interesting book that talks about the geography of Paul's journeys and ministry. And finally, the chosen novel four from Jerry Jenkins, all part of our book blast. How do you enter? Send an email to the land and the book@moody.edu. Now you can't just say, please enter me, send me the books you need to tell us how does the land and the book impact your life? How does God use the land and the book in your life? All right, send that answer to us at the land and the book at Moody Dot. book@moody.edu, and we will draw at random. One winner by Sunday night at midnight. The land and the book at Moody dot. Edu. All right. Our current events. Topics. Story one. In response to the assassination of Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh, Iran has vowed revenge on Israel and the world has been holding its breath since then. What do we know so far about their plans?
S2: Yeah, you know, Israel hasn't officially claimed responsibility for Haniya's assassination, but apparently they told the US they were behind it. As the political chief of Hamas, Haniyeh was part of the leadership that's been targeted by Israel since October 7th. Iran was embarrassed by the attack, which took place in Tehran during the inauguration festivities for their new president. And it happened in a building controlled by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. Ayatollah Khomeini ordered a revenge attack on Israel and Iran met with representatives from other terror groups to prepare a coordinated attack. Back in April, Iran launched about 300 rockets, missiles and drones against Israel. Most were shot down by US, British and Israeli forces, though a few made it through and caused minor damage to an Israeli Air Force base. Now at this time, Iran and its allies wanted to launch a much larger and more sustained attack of rockets, missiles and drones from multiple directions to overwhelm Israel's defenses and cause more damage. The US began an intensive diplomatic effort to cool tensions and to get Iran and its allies to reconsider. One possible reason for Iran to hold off on retaliating is the realization that the assassination wasn't caused by an Israeli missile as initially feared, but by a bomb smuggled into the room by members of its own security force working with Israel. As we record this program to send out to stations, we still don't know when or even if there's going to be an attack. It could even happen between the time we record and the time the program actually airs. Now, if there is an attack, it could come from Iran, Hezbollah or both. Iran could also try to attack Israelis traveling or living abroad. Israel prepared its defenses while telling its citizens to go about their normal duties and remain diligent. And in the meantime, all they can do is wait.
S1: Well, the US announced it would help Israel stand against any Iranian attack. What exactly did we do to help prepare? And what might we ask of Israel in return? Yeah.
S2: The US deployed multiple warships to the Persian Gulf and eastern Mediterranean to help repel any threatened attack. These include aircraft carriers and an amphibious assault team with 4000 Marines. We also sent fighter jet squadrons and land based ballistic missile defense systems. This was all intended to send a strong message to Iran that the US would defend Israel against attack. What we don't know right now is if Iran takes the message seriously or not, if Iran refrains from launching an attack, or if they only launch a token attack, then that would suggest they got the message. Another question that hasn't been fully addressed, though, is what the US will require of Israel in return for all our help. President Biden was apparently enraged over the assassination of Haniyeh, characterizing it publicly as unhelpful. He said the goal in the Middle East needs to be to reduce tension and secure a hostage deal with Hamas. Israel is heavily dependent on U.S. funds and equipment, and President Biden is using that to exert pressure on Israel to accept a cease fire deal and a hostage deal with Hamas. If one can be reached from.
S1: Moody Radio, this is the land and the book segment one. We're going over current events with our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer. I'm John Geiger, reminding you we've got a book blast coming until Sunday midnight. You can enter at the land and the book@moody.edu to win five books. We're giving away. More on that in a moment. Story number three. Israel's ongoing war with Hamas has almost gotten lost in the conflict with Hezbollah and Iran. But the war in Gaza raises a troubling question why has it been so hard to eliminate Hamas?
S2: You know, I think there are two primary reasons it's been so hard to eliminate them. The first is all the restrictions being placed on Israel throughout the war. They face charges of genocide, even though they've done more to minimize civilian casualties than any army in history. And that's especially true when facing an enemy that has deliberately hidden behind civilians using them, as well as homes and mosques and hospitals and schools as shields. The second reason, though it's been so hard to eliminate Hamas, is that at its core, this is a religious struggle, not just a military one. Yahya Sinwar, the architect of the October 7th massacre and the one leading the fight in Gaza, was just chosen to succeed Haniyeh as the political leader of Hamas. This consolidates all the political and military power of Hamas into the one person who holds some of the strongest religious views. Over the past ten months. Israel has amassed a treasure trove of information on Hamas through prisoner interrogations and the capture of files and computer disks. They discovered that under the leadership of people like Haniyeh and Sinwar, Hamas systematically indoctrinated the people in Islamic fundamentalism since taking control of Gaza in 2007. They've used Islam to justify their brutal attacks, Western concepts of moral values, of right and wrong, of what's logical and illogical, blinded us to the reality of the values espoused by Hamas and other Islamic fundamentalists. Many secular Israelis thought the root issues with Hamas were, well, economic or social or political. And that was all shattered on October 7th. The real cause for the conflict is the false teaching of Islam. It needs to be confronted by the truth of God's Word. In the end, only God can change the human heart. But we need to remember that faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. That's the real battle that needs to be fought.
S1: Israeli start up Eno valve has been acquired by an American company for $300 million. Tell us about this medical success story out of amazing Israel.
S2: You know, I want to approach this story from just a slightly different angle than we usually do with our amazing Israel stories. One of the most common heart issues is mitral valve regurgitation. While the aortic valve can be replaced using a procedure called taven's transcatheter aortic valve replacement. My own mother had that procedure, but up until now, the only effective solution to mitral valve leakage has been open. Heart surgery and many suffering from the problem can't endure open heart surgery, which reduces their quality of life and eventually their life expectancy. So Eno Valve developed a technology that allows doctors to reach this difficult spot in the heart and securely anchor a new mitral valve in place while the heart is still beating. After receiving approval from the FDA, they began implementing the device in clinical trials. To date, about 40 people in the United States have had their mitral valve replaced using their new technology. Its effectiveness can be seen in the recent purchase of Eno valve by American medical device giant Edwards Lifesciences, which specializes in solutions for heart disease patients. The goal now is to complete the clinical trials and make the device available to potentially millions of people who suffer with mitral valve leakage, offering a minimally invasive solution to a major health problem. This, John, is another real life medical solution that is coming our way out of amazing Israel.
S1: And that's a look at current events. Charlie, we're excited about our five book blast, and if you can tell us how the land and the book impacts you in a quick email to the land and the book@moody.edu. We will enter your name for our drawing, which happens Sunday night at midnight. That's the cut off point. Tell us how the land of the book impacts you. Maybe it's personal Bible study that has been enlightened for you. A Sunday school class, if you're a pastor, maybe a sermon you're working on, or maybe just a conversation with a friend. Let us know as you email us at the land and the book@moody.edu. You could enter and win five books from this book blast, including Experiencing the Land of the book, Charlie Dyer's personal stories, personal photos of more than 100 trips to Israel, wrestling with job. Maybe somebody you know is going through a rough spot right now and could use that encouragement. A walking tour of the Gospels is part of this package, as is the chosen novel four in the series by Jerry Jenkins. Also in this way We Came to Rome A look at Paul on the Appian Way. Fascinating stuff. And again, email your entry at The Land and the book@moody.edu. Let us know how the land of the book impacts you. Coming up, a conversation with Max Lucado. What happens next? That's right here on the land and the book. When my wife and I are traveling to another country. We first explore it all online, and then we visit our library and check out several guidebooks. And we study the.
S3: Maps.
S1: Read the articles, bone up on what to see and what to skip. But as believers, shouldn't we be at least as deliberate about preparing for the end of this age? Thanks for joining us today on The Land and the book. We're up next. We're going to visit with America's favorite Christian writer, Max Lucado. First, though, let's sharpen our focus on ideas for being more intentional with loving our Jewish friends for Christ. If you're going to share Jesus with a Jewish friend or any friend you can't really do the story justice apart from the crucifixion. And the crucifixion, of course, involves blood. But how do we respond when our Jewish friends tell us that blood sacrifice is no longer necessary? West Tabor is with life in Messiah.
S4: We agree. Without a temple and priesthood, sacrifice is no longer possible. But what makes us think it's no longer necessary? We understand the God of Israel is the one who established the Levitical priesthood and the sacrificial system that required blood for atonement, for the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I've given it to you on the altar to make atonement for your souls, for it is the blood, by reason of the life that makes atonement. We also find in the Old Testament God's promise of one who will make atonement.
S1: So where do we go in the scriptures to point our Jewish friends to biblical truth?
S4: Well, the clearest description of Messiah's atoning work is found in Isaiah 53, but pointers to Messiah can be found throughout the Old Testament. Check out Moody's Handbook of Messianic Prophecy.
S1: Thoughts from West Tabor, who is with life in Messiah, joining us today on the land and the book. Max Lucado preaches and writes and does both with a unique touch. His storytelling is poetic and his Bible teaching is just accessible. He writes books and as he puts it, he does so for people who don't read books. More than 150 million of his titles have been sold by way of a day job. Yeah. He serves as a Bible teacher at Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas. And we're here today to talk about his first full book on the end times, What Happens Next A Traveler's Guide to the end of the age. It's an honor to connect with you, sir.
S5: Oh, it's my privilege. You're a very, very kind and gracious to allow me to be on your program.
S1: Well, you know, a Pew survey shows that 55% of Americans say they are interested in end times events. What's got average Americans so interested, Max?
S5: I think a couple of things. That's a that's a really good question. I think a couple of things. One is what we're seeing in the world. You know, we've got uh, especially with Israel and Gaza, but we've also got a potential conflict between the U.S. and Russia, between US and China. There's potential conflict between China and Taiwan. We've got Russia and Ukraine. It just seems like the global condition is very, very fragile. And it has people anxious. Yeah. And then I think also just from a spiritual standpoint, that the Lord is stirring hearts. He's preparing his church. I'm not the only pastor who has felt a call in the last several years to really dive deep into understanding in times and try to unpack it better for our churches. So I'm hopeful that it's the Lord that's stirring this, because that's the stirring that matters the most.
S1: A lot of Christians are wondering, is it possible we are right now living in the end times? What do you think?
S5: Well, my answer is we're not in the end times. We're in the end of the end times. To me, you know, John, and I know this is a vibrant and robust discussion that we'll all have until the Lord returns. But to me, everything changed in May of 1948 when Israel became a nation. I mean, it is simply striking that a people who were dispersed from their homeland for 2000 years would fulfill three specific biblical prophecies and be returned to their homeland. And all of those prophecies had to be fulfilled for many of the end times prophecy to be fulfilled. And so the fact that Israel has been regathered and is in the process of being regathered to its homeland is important. It is the we often call it the super sign. But a page of prophetic history was turned on May 8th, 1948, when Israel was reinstated to their home country.
S1: It's great to visit today with one of America's most beloved Christian writers, Max Lucado. I'm John Gager, and we're talking about what happens next. A Traveler's Guide to the End of the age here on the land and the book. Well, we live in an age of disunity, dislike and disinformation. How does that factor into what the Bible says about the end times? What do you think?
S5: I'm not at all surprised at the end times that during these last days that there is a greater sense of fear and anxiety. You think about it when people don't know where we are going, then they don't know where we are. They don't know how to interpret the many events. You know, there have been occasions when I got stuck in a subway and the subway line went down, or one time I got stuck in an elevator and the elevator quit moving. We've had those experiences and they're not very pleasant because they're claustrophobic. We wonder what's going to happen. I wonder if the whole world is in a claustrophobic state. As we look at these issues and statistics in which the mental health crisis is happening, depression is at an all time high. Suicide rates are just tragically high. Yes, and I wonder how much of it is simply due to the fact that we don't know what's about to happen. We feel stuck. We're trapped in a plane that can't get off the tarmac. And that's why the Christian gospel, that's why the hope of heaven. And that's why the promise of eternal life is so life giving. It tells me that these brief and momentary problems are not worth comparing with the glory that outweighs them all. And that's why we have the opportunity to give so much hope to so many people.
S1: You know, there are many among us, myself being one of them, who kind of grew up sort of fearing the rapture, you know? And if fear is not the right response, what is?
S5: Yes, sir, I know it. And I've talked to many people, especially when I was preaching through this series. All of my books are first sermon series. John at our church. And when I was preaching through this sermon series, I was surprised how many people came to me and said, you know, I grew up being afraid of the rapture. And I understand that the idea of a supernatural call of God to empty out the graves and the living will be raised and will be reunited with those who are in Paradise right now. But the Apostle Paul said after he taught on this in first Thessalonians four to encourage one another with these words, I believe it's an encouraging it's an exciting moment because what it says to me is that God will deliver his church. He will rescue his church before the real chaos begins during the tribulation and in that moment of rapture as well as deliverance, it will be great healing. I've got so many people who are friends and members of our congregation, who have lived their lives in bodies that have never worked well. I cannot wait for that moment in which they will be changed from one instant to the next in a perfected, glorified body in which they will live forever. And so it's going to be the greatest miracle since the history of mankind. And so I'm not quite sure how to calm people's fears except to say Jesus said, do not let your heart be troubled. Trust in God. Trust also in me and my father's house. There are many mansions, and if it were not, so would I have told you? But I am going there to prepare a place for you. And when I'm finished, I will come back and get you. That's his promise. I will come back and get you. So let's don't be afraid of it. Let's trust the Lord. Let's trust his goodness and his provision. And let's be comforted by the fact that he he will rescue us at the right time.
S1: Max Lucado is a writer whose books you've read or should have. He joins us today on the land and the book. What are some typical mistakes that we make when trying to do our own study of end times events.
S5: Now that is a great question. I've done several interviews and no one's asked me that, and that's the kind of question I'd love to answer, because what I've found, John, as I dug into this, is that we do make a mistake, and that is we go quickly to the prophetic books like Daniel, Ezekiel, Zechariah, of course, the Book of Revelation. And, well, we should. Well, we should. I just think we should start in the book of Genesis. I think the book of Genesis is the most prophetic book in the Bible, because what God declares in the beginning is what will happen in the end. The Scripture tells us he declares the end from the beginning. So if you want to know how we're going to end up, let's see how we began. And when you look at the Garden of Eden, there you see God's intent and purpose that his people would reign with him in perfect bodies, in a perfect Paradise. So there's God's plan now, unlike us, God doesn't change his mind. You know, I may change my mind 2 or 3 times on a given day. Not God, he declares the end from the beginning. And so he's already declared that this is his prototype. This is his picture and what we see in the lives of Adam and Eve is a picture of his purpose for us. So if we do make a mistake in terms of studying in times, it's that we go to the end rather than to the beginning. But really, eschatology, which is the study of end things or last things, is best understood through proctology, which is the study of the earliest things. I did that in the book. I found that and also shared that with the church. And I kept coming back to that. You know, here's what God is doing. Here's where he is taking us. So let's don't get too confused or intimidated by the numbers and the symbols of the prophetic books until we've laid the foundation from the first book. And that's God's plan in the book of Genesis.
S1: Let's move on to a question that's on a lot of people's minds. Who or what is the Antichrist? And do you personally think the Antichrist is alive today?
S5: Well, the Antichrist is a figure that Satan will use in the tribulation or seven years of trouble after the church is raptured and Satan will indwell that person exactly the way he moved into the body of Judas on the evening prior to the crucifixion, and led Judas to betray Jesus. The Antichrist is a war monger. He'll come across as a peacemaker during a time of crisis, because the world will see the sudden vacated graves and the disappearance of the Christians. They'll say, where are all these people? It'll send the world into a state of chaos and crisis. But he will step forth, much like Hitler did, and be a calming voice and be a magnetic personality. And people will be irresistibly lured to him, and he will negotiate a peace treaty that involves the nation of Israel and involves, I believe, the rebuilding of the temple. But midway through that peace treaty, he'll break it. He'll set him up in the in the temple itself and demand to be worshipped. Daniel called this. And then Jesus called this the abomination of desolation. And it will take place during those seven years. So he is the ultimate pawn of the devil. Now to your question, is he alive today? I believe a candidate for the Antichrist is alive in every generation. Remember, Satan is not omnipresent and he's not omniscient and so he does not know when the rapture will take place. For that reason, I believe he's had a candidate in each generation. In the minute that there is a rapture, then Satan will go to work. I do not know if the Antichrist will appear immediately like within minutes after the rapture, but soon thereafter, at some point he will appear and Satan will have embodied him or moved into him. And so yeah, a candidate, it seems to me, is is alive in each generation. So there's one in our generation, but we who are believers will be rescued before he comes. Uh, the Scripture has promised that God will protect us from the wrath, not lead us to the wrath. And so for that, we don't have to worry. I'm never going to meet him. You're never going to meet him? Uh, I don't.
S6: Know if we'll.
S5: Be able to see him from Paradise. If we do, I don't even want to look at him.
S6: Uh.
S5: So I'm not anxious about it. But I do believe that those who do not know Christ should be anxious about it. And for that reason, we've got to be urgent urging people to trust Christ now, before the end comes.
S1: What happens next? A Traveler's Guide to the End of the age. We've been talking with author Max Lucado about that book. So many other questions to tackle, which means we need to get together again. Would you say we do it next time? We're looking forward to that conversation. But right now it's a look at Bible questions with our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer. That's next here on the land and the book. Welcome back to the land and the book. I'm John Gager saying thank you. Thank you for being with us. And thank you for sharing us with your friends. Word of mouth is how others find out about the broadcast or podcast, however you choose to listen. We're grateful for that. If you're a regular, you know this is segment three where we tackle questions that have been emailed to us. Here's a question though Israel has been in the news a lot over the past year and as we know, the Bible is jam packed with end times prophecies about epic world events, the regathering of the Jewish people to their ancient homeland. And of course, Jesus soon returned. It is crucial for us as believers to have a proper understanding of Bible prophecy. So our view of the future is shaped by Scripture, not today's headlines. Do you have that perspective? Right, Charlie?
S2: That's right. John. In fact, with this in mind, our friends at Life and Messiah have published a book titled God, Israel and Bible Prophecy, and they're offering it to listeners of the land in the book for a limited time. This informative book is focused on providing readers with a deeper understanding and greater appreciation of what God has in store for Israel and the nations by digging into what the scriptures say about these issues. Now, if you're interested in learning more about what God has in store, visit Life in Messiah. Org and click on the Moody Radio button there to find out how you can receive your copy of God, Israel and Bible Prophecy. That's life in Messiah.
S1: Org if I had an imaginary button here I could push. I would go for a drum roll. As we open today's segment of questions and answers, starting with this one from Todd, who says, can you help me interpret? First Samuel 1529 and verse 35 one verse says, the Lord doesn't regret, and the next says, the Lord regretted. Charlie. Help us. Yeah.
S2: And both of those passages I see God using imagery of human emotion to express divine judgment. That is, the passage isn't suggesting God's fickle or prone to unpredictable changes in thought or mind. In fact, right in the middle of this section is verse 29, where Samuel provides a clear theological statement of God's immutability. He says, he who is the God of Israel does not lie or change his mind, for he is not a man, that he should change his mind. And the word used twice in that verse, change his mind, is the exact same word used in those other verses. Now here's how I put it all together. Verse 29 is that clear explanation of God's character? God's character and his actions remain consistent. God always rewards obedience, and he always judges disobedience. When Saul chose to disobey God, God withdrew his blessing from Saul and placed Saul under judgment. But to picture that in human terms it would appear that God relented or regretted his original decision. By the way, a good example of this principle can be found in Jeremiah 18, verses 7 to 10. Jeremiah describes how God can appear to relent or change his mind, but in actual fact, God is consistent in promising to bless those who turn to him and to judge those who turn away from him. Historically, it's the same principle found in the Book of Jonah, where Jonah's message of judgment against Nineveh didn't take place because the people repented. In his anger, Jonah said to God, I knew you were a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity. And the same word for relent is used in both Jeremiah 18 and Jonah four. That's used in in Samuel. So starting to go into all that detail. But I think the way to harmonize the verse is to recognize God in His essence is immutable. He doesn't change, but part of his character is God is to judge sin and disobedience and to reward repentance and submission. And in Saul's case, God went from blessing him to judging him based on Saul's actions as king.
S1: Thank you Charlie. Appreciate you clearing that up. Nancy wants to know, has the Philistine city of Gaza been in existence continuously since biblical times? Reading Zechariah nine, it's foretold this area would become a remnant for God. Would this be after Christ takes rule over all, or has there been a time previously when that people knew the God of Israel? Obviously the current territory of Gaza is much larger and not this remnant. Your perspective?
S2: Yeah, I've got to answer by putting verse seven there in its larger context. Zechariah nine ultimately points toward the coming of Israel's Messiah. In fact, verse nine in that chapter describes his arrival in Jerusalem on the colt, the foal of a donkey. So the overall imagery in the beginning of the chapter is of God coming to humble or judge nations and assume his rightful place as king. In verses 1 to 7, God pictures this coming as a march from north to south, and I believe the historical fulfillment of those verses came to pass when God sent Alexander the Great against the Gentile powers that are listed there. Now, when Zechariah then announced in verse seven that those who are left of the Philistines will belong to our God and become leaders in Judah, I believe he's predicting that the remnant will be absorbed into the nation of Judah. That is, he's saying the Philistines will lose their national identity and become part of the Jewish nation. And that's why he also adds that Ekron will be like the Jebusites. So he's comparing the remaining Philistines to the remnant of the Jebusites. When David captured Jebus and made it the capital of Israel.
S1: Here's a question from Mark takes us to numbers three, 42, and 43, which tell us that the total number of firstborn male Israelites a month old or more was 22,273. This total, he says, seems small in light of the fact that the number of male Israelites 20 years old or more, who were able to serve in this army was 603,550. What do I misunderstand? I thought all first born Israelites includes all. Firstborn is the figure from numbers three only firstborn under age 20. And if so, how do we know that? Or did I miss something?
S2: Yeah. This is one of those times when I would tell students, that's a great question. I wish I had a great answer to go along with it. And in this case, I think there are several possible answers, though none of them right now appears to be completely satisfactory. Now I take at face value numbers three versus 42 and 43, which says the total number of firstborn males a month old and upward in Israel was 22,273. And verse 32 of chapter two says, the total number of fighting men 20 years old and upward was 603,550. So if you put those together, the ratio of total fighting men to firstborn would be something like 27 to 1, you know, that is, uh, there's 27 fighting men for every one first born. Now, they did have large families and many had multiple wives, but that seems like a large number. But there are several possible solutions, each of which comes at least with its own potential issues. Some see this as the key to reducing the population of Israelites. At the time of the Exodus, from 2 million to about 250,000. Now, I don't like that response. And here's part of the reason why there's a little obscure passage in Exodus chapter 38, where the amount of silver collected from the half shekel tax imposed on each male, it's 100 talents and 775 shekels. When you add that up, it exactly matches 603,550 men. So I really do think that that's how many fighting men there were, which means the whole population was around 2 million. Now others say, well then maybe the 22,000 only refers to first born male children born after the time of the first Passover possible. But there's nothing in the passage that would seem to limit it that way. Others suggest it might be a textual error, and the number could actually be higher, but there's no evidence of a textual problem. In fact, the Septuagint very closely matches the Masoretic Text at this point. So what do I suggest? Well, I start with the assumption that it isn't an error in the Bible. There is a solution. Even if it's not readily apparent to me. It means I need to hold any proposed solution lightly until more information is available. I think the possibility of lowering the total number of Israelites seems the least likely option. It's possible that the apparent discrepancy can be reduced by assuming the firstborn male is reckoned from the father, instead of the case of multiple wives. That is, if a man had multiple wives and multiple children, it's the first male child, regardless of which mother gave birth first. And we know Jacob had 12 sons through four women. David was the youngest of eight sons born to Jesse. My point would be that the ratio of firstborn males to the total number of males could have been 1 to 8, or 1 to 10, or 1 to 12. It doesn't completely resolve the problem, but it reduces the disparity. So finally, it's possible the number of firstborn does exclude the firstborn males at the time of the exodus, since they were redeemed by the application of blood on the doorposts of the houses. But right now I just have to live with the possibilities until someone comes along with a better answer that provides a more satisfactory solution.
S1: Charlie, that reference to blood on the doorpost takes us to Mark's question did the firstborn plague on Egypt take the lives of only children, or was it the firstborn of any age?
S2: I believe the plague was all inclusive. It took the firstborn males regardless of age. Exodus 1229 says it this way at midnight the Lord struck down all the firstborn of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh, who sat on the throne, to the firstborn of the prisoner who was at the dungeon, and the firstborn of all the livestock as well. But it doesn't have any age limitation. So they may have been young children, but they may have been adults. Uh, whoever was the first born male.
S1: Stan has a question about qualifications for elders. He says it seems clear based on first Timothy three and Titus one, an elder is to be a man under the headship issue in Scripture. What is your thought on this as some churches are debating the issue also same for a head pastor. Should it be a man?
S2: Yeah, I believe first Timothy three and Titus one do limit the office of elder to men in first Timothy three one qualification of an elder is that he be a husband of one wife. Literally. In Greek it says he needs to be a one woman man. And the word for husband or man there is very specific. The word husband isn't anthropos, which can at times be generically referring to men and women. It's the word honor which is man or husband. Uh, so the same is true of the word he uses for woman or wife. The elder must be a male, married and characterized by faithfulness to his wife. Now, I believe the role of the senior pastor, the head, the lead pastor, whatever the church uses is someone who's functioning biblically as an elder. So I see this limited to qualified men.
S1: Well, lots of questions come to our minds as we read Scripture and yours is welcome any time with an email to us at the Land and the book@moody.edu. Don't go away. There's more to come on the broadcast. It's Charlie Dyer's devotional. He takes a passage in Scripture to a place in the Holy Land and nails them together. Next. Right here. From Moody Radio. This is the Land and the book with our host, Doctor Charlie Dyer. I'm John Gager, reflecting on a trip to Kruger National Park in South Africa. You're there to see the Big Five game. And one of those, of course, is the Lion and Man. Once you've heard a lion roar, you never forget it. And you read about it differently when you read scripture. Charlie. Uh, I think that's a sense of where you're going in your devotional today.
S2: That's exactly where we're heading, John.
S1: Much more than something a lion might do or say. Charlie's got an insight for us in Joel chapter three verse 16. But before he gets there, let's you and I listen to this Holy Land experience testimony.
S7: Hello, my name is Jan and my Holy Land experience was a series of aha moments. You know those moments where something that you've heard and you've felt, you understand the little tweak that just tells you this is my answer to this situation. And we were talking about Jesus baptism, and Charlie was explaining that that was the one time in recorded history that God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit were present in one place for people to see. And so many times people question the Trinity, or how do you believe in the Holy Spirit? How can they be three? But to be able to say in Scripture, there's a part where they were together, 3 in 1. It was just one of those moments like that's there. He gave us the proof of that in his word, and I hadn't seen that before.
S1: All right, Charlie, I'm looking forward to what you got for us in your devotional today. Uh.
S2: Thanks, John. And if you've heard a lion roar, imagine what it sounds like when God roars. Well, that's what we're going to talk about, because this is week two of our five week series on famous 3/16 of the Bible. And today finds us once again in Jerusalem. But the scene in front of us is rather stark. It's late spring, but the trees are a little more than barren white sticks. Even the bark has been stripped off the branches. The fields just outside the city, which should be full of ripening grain, only have small clumps of stubble poking out from the ground. And then we spot the reason. As someone walks toward us through one of the barren fields, a cloud of insects fly up around him, only to settle back down and continue their feast. Once he's passed, Judah and Jerusalem have been invaded by swarms of locusts. We follow a group of ragged and worn citizens who are making their way through Jerusalem's streets toward a lone figure standing near the entrance to Solomon's Temple. He's calling out to all those who are streaming into the temple to ask for God's mercy. Declare a holy fast and call an assembly. Summon the elders and all who live in the land to the house of the Lord your God, and cry out to the Lord. Alas, for that day, for the day of the Lord is near. It will come like destruction from the Almighty. The man calling out to the crowd is the prophet Joel, and his message is a somber declaration of imminent disaster. Like repeated hammer blows, the nation has experienced a series of locust plagues. What the gnawing locusts has left, the swarming locust has eaten, and what the swarming locust has left. The creeping locust has eaten, and what the creeping locust has left. The stripping locust has eaten. With the crops and trees devastated, the nation now faces the very real specter of famine and death. No wonder Joel announced the day of the Lord is near. That phrase occurs throughout the Bible. The day of the Lord was any time God came in judgment to settle accounts. In that sense, there were many days of the Lord throughout Israel's history. As the crowd gathered around listening to Joel, they could see that the crisis they now faced was just such a day. But as Joel continued speaking, he used the current crisis as a springboard to describe an even more frightening day of the Lord, a still future day when a greater and more deadly invasion would threaten the land. The prophet described it as a day of darkness and gloom, a day of clouds and blackness like dawn spreading across the mountains. A large and mighty army comes, such as never was of old, nor ever will be in ages to come. The horrors of the recent deadly series of locust plagues will pale in comparison to the ultimate day of the Lord invasion still to come. As a master orator, Joel holds his audience in suspense. What is this still future invasion? Is it another, even greater horde of locusts? But how could another locust plague do any more damage than that which we've just experienced? The people focused with laser like intensity on Joel, waiting for an explanation, and Joel doesn't disappoint. Beginning in chapter three, he makes it clear that this future day of the Lord invasion will appear to be an unstoppable human army, and their destination is Jerusalem. Proclaim this among the nations. Prepare for war. Rouse the warriors. Let all the fighting men draw near an attack. Beat your plowshares into swords and your pruning hooks into spears. Let the weakling say, I am strong. Come quickly, all you nations from every side, and assemble there. Bring down your warriors, O Lord. Let the nations be roused. Let them advance into the valley of Jehoshaphat. That's the valley where Yahweh the Lord will judge. For there I will sit to judge all the nations on every side. Joel describes an invasion in the ultimate day of the Lord, a time when nations on all sides will focus on attacking and destroying Jerusalem and the Jewish people. The army appears to be unstoppable, and they're intent on vengeance. Using every resource available to arm and outfit their warriors implements a peace. Plowshares and pruning hooks will be refashioned into implements of war. How can the tiny country of Israel survive? One key theme in Joel is the importance of repentance and turning to the Lord. In chapter two, verses 12 and 13, God calls out, even now, return to me with all your heart. Rend your heart and not your garments. Return to the Lord your God. And what does God promise to do? Well, Joel first deals with the devastation caused by the recent locust plague. I will repay you. For the years the locusts have eaten the great locust and the young locust, the other locusts and the locust swarm. My great army that I sent among you. But what about the future day of the Lord invasion by what seems to be an unstoppable army? God makes a similar promise to those who will be alive at that time. Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. For on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there will be deliverance. But wait, what's the famous 316 in this story? Ah, patience my friend. We're almost there. As Joel describes the nations gathering against Jerusalem in chapter three, he pictures them gathering to wipe out the city and the people, multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision. For the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision. And then, in response to their desperate plea for help, God once again intervenes in history. Verse 15 sets the stage. The sun and moon will be darkened and the stars no longer shine. Supernatural signs in the heavens prepare the way for God's arrival. And now Joel delivers his famous 316 the Lord will roar from Zion and thunder from Jerusalem. The earth and the sky will tremble, but the Lord will be a refuge for his people, a stronghold for the people of Israel. With a roar like a lion as it pounces on its prey, God will visibly leap back onto the stage of human history to vanquish the attackers and rescue his people. And this day of the Lord will alter the entire course of history for Jerusalem and the people of Israel. Jerusalem will be holy. Never again will foreigners invade her. That hasn't yet been fulfilled, but someday it will. Joel then ends his book by describing the impact of this physical and spiritual restoration on the land, the city, and the people. Judah will be inhabited forever and Jerusalem through all generations, their blood guilt, which I have not pardoned, I will pardon. The Lord dwells in Zion. There is a grand future awaiting the nation of Israel, because God is a God who keeps his word. So what difference can Joel 316 make in our lives today? First, I think we need to remember the principle that underlines the entire book. A disobedience brings judgment, but repentance brings deliverance and blessing. Have you placed your trust in Jesus as your Savior and Lord? If not, turn to him today, confess your sin and ask him to save you. If you have placed your trust in Christ but are concerned about the condition our world seems to be in, just remember that God is still in control. There is coming a day when Jesus will return to right all wrongs and deliver those who look to him. We don't know when he'll return, but his final words to us in the book of Revelation are yes, I'm coming soon. And our response ought to match that of the Apostle John. Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.
S1: Amen indeed. And thank you, Charlie, for that great devotional. Well, you can hear it all again at our website. The land and the book. Org. Not just the devotional, but the entire program. And we encourage you to do just that and to share us with a friend. Word of mouth is a great way to spread this ministry. Thank you for doing that. Thank you for listening. Today I'm John Geiger on behalf of our host, Charlie Dyer, our producer, Dan Anderson. The land and the book is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.