S1: Hello, friends. Welcome to the second hour of Open Line with Doctor Michael Moody Radio's Bible Study Across America. My name is Michael Melnick. I'm the academic dean and also professor of Jewish studies and Bible at Moody Bible Institute. Our Bible study across America is continuing. We're sitting around the radio kitchen table with our Bibles open, and you can call right now with your questions about the Bible, God, or the spiritual life. If you have a question. Here's the phone number (877) 548-3675. Well, I hope you've got your second cup of coffee in front of you. Your Bible open. We're going to launch right in and go to the questions. We're going to talk to Karen in Florida listening on. I'm guessing one of our stations down in Florida. Glad you're there. Uh, welcome to open line. Karen. How can I help you?
S2: Oh, thank you for taking my call. Uh, I just finished reading the Old Testament. And.
S1: Wait, is this your first time through?
S2: Yes.
S1: And. And what motivated you to read through the Old Testament?
S2: Uh, I was I'm doing an online, uh, Bible study of reading through the Bible. Mhm. So I just finished the Old Testament.
S1: Now, are you reading the New Testament at the same time?
S2: No, I'm starting Matthew now.
S1: Okay. Well, I think it's great that you read the Old Testament. A lot of people, in fact, uh, a friend of mine that Eve and I made this friend through Open Line. She's, uh, one of my favorite people that I've met. And she told us recently, uh, that she has is reading through the Old Testament and really can't wait to get to the new. And I said, I read through the Bible every year, God willing, you know, God's help. I'm able to get through the scriptures just by reading it every year. But I, I do about two thirds of my reading in the Old Testament and one third in the new. And it's interesting because here I am in, you know, in August, and I've already completed the New Testament, and I'm going through my second time on the New Testament. Uh, but I always think if you're going to read through the Bible, mix it up, do old and new at the same time. But, you know, for the future, Karen, you're ready to go with the new now, so. Okay. Yeah.
S2: Yeah. Okay.
S1: Hey, I'm so glad to see that you're reading the Bible. That's why I wanted to talk with you, because a lot of our listeners are saying it's it's too big a task. I don't think I'm too challenged to read the whole Bible. You can do it. And you have done it. You're doing a great job. Thank you. Karen. Uh, anyway, so.
S2: I started January 1st. Oh, wonderful. I just got through the Old Testament. Yeah. And by the time December 31st comes, I'll be done with the New Testament. That's great. So it's great. It's piecemeal. It's really good. But I'm curious. Um, you know, I listened or, I mean, I, I read about Moses and how he set up the, the priesthood with the Levites and, uh, you know, how the priests were purified and and all that. And I see that with some of the kings who were good kings and, you know, they wanted to honor the Lord. But then I run across in first Chronicles 21 and second Samuel, where it says that David sacrificed before the Lord. So I was curious if David actually did the sacrifices or if he offered them to the priests and they sacrificed.
S1: Yeah.
S2: Um, because he's from the tribe of Judah. So.
S1: Exactly. So, uh, I think it's important to, uh, to recognize that what happened to Asa. Do you remember Asa? The King? Uh, he's from the line of David. He offered incense, and when he offered incense, uh, the result was that he got struck by God with leprosy. Because he was he was breaching the requirement of, uh, of having, uh, not to not go through the priest. He was trying to act as priest. Um, and I think the same thing is true. Uh, it talks about in the book of Hebrews where the Messiah has merged the two offices, and that he has to be from the order of Melchizedek, because the the priesthood comes from the sons of Levi. Right? Levitical priests. And so there has to be a change of priesthood. Uh, because how could the Messiah. Here's the verses. It says, for when there is a change of the priesthood, there must be a change of law as well. For the one, these things are spoken about belong to a different tribe. Now one from it has served no one from it, no one from it has served at the altar. Now it's evident that our Lord came from Judah. And Moses said nothing about that tribe concerning priests. That's Hebrews chapter seven, verses 13 through 15. So no one from the tribe of Judah served as priest. That would include David. So the only way I can explain those verses in Second Samuel and First Chronicles is that David offered sacrifice by bringing it to the Levitical priest, who then was the intermediary. But the gift was brought by David and the animal that was David's, and it was sacrificed with the intercession or mediation of a priest. Okay.
S2: Yes. Okay. That helps, because the way it reads is it looks like David offered the sacrifice. Yeah.
S1: But, you know, when you read Leviticus, it talks about how, uh, it gives the process that people have to bring a certain sacrifice, and then they give it to the priest and he offers it, but the person is actually making the sacrifice. It's just it's mediated by a priest. And so it leaves out the mediation of it in those passages about David. Okay.
S2: So okay. That's great. Great.
S1: Thanks for your call, Karen. Keep reading.
S2: Okay I will.
S1: Good.
S3: Uh.
S1: Bye bye. We're going to talk to Jason now in Nashville, Tennessee, listening on Wcmh. Welcome to Open Line. Jason. How can I help you?
S4: Hi, doctor Rydell, thank you so much. It's a blessing. Moody radio, just such a good program. Uh. Real quick. Um. Just curious. And I know you've probably answered it before about, uh, your take on the chosen series, but also, if you knew any of the three, um, teachers or theologians that Dallas meets with to.
S1: You know.
S4: Like there's the Jewish gentleman rabbi.
S1: You know, I don't know who he meets with. I've never seen Dallas interviewed about this or read any interviews about it. So I have no idea, uh, where he's getting his rabbinic sources from. So I might know the person. I just don't know who it is. So, uh, you know, uh, but, uh, I'm. I've watched. Well, I've watched the first season of, uh, of The Chosen. I have only watched the first season. Uh, it was very touching, really. You know, it built initially I thought, uh, and then by about the third episode, I found myself really touched. I think it, I think it's important that we distinguish between the scriptures and the chosen. And the reason I say that is that that is just a sort of a it's taken from the scriptures, but it is not the scriptures themselves. There's a lot of imagination, uh, a lot of creativity that goes with it. It doesn't have the same authority. But what it does is takes the story from Scripture and it captures the meaning so well. Uh, I think it really speaks to our hearts. I've only seen the first season. I'm told that the second and third seasons are just as good. Uh, But that's that's what I would say about it. I think it's a valuable, uh, for to help introduce people to the story of Jesus. I love creativity and, uh, you know, as I find the time, I probably will watch the further seasons of it, but I hope that helps. Thanks, Jason. Appreciate it. Uh, appreciate your call. We're going to talk to, uh, Debbie.
S5: Hi.
S1: In Chicago, listening on WNBA. Welcome to Open Line. Debbie. How can I help you?
S6: Thank you. Michael, thank you. I really enjoy your program. And, um, I am curious, in Matthew 27, it talks about the earthquake after Jesus's death. And of course, I know the reason that the temple curtain was torn in two. We were discussing, um, what happened. Like they it mentioned that the tombs were opened and there were many holy men that came out of the tomb. And then after Jesus's resurrection, they came into the city and appeared to many. And we were wondering, like, did they have to die again? What was the purpose of it, I guess, and what happened to them afterwards? Did they have to die again or were they translated to heaven like Elijah? Elijah? What happened?
S1: Well, it's kind of enigmatic. It's. I don't think anyone can tell you exactly what happened, but I'll give you my best shot at it. Okay. Uh, and I'm going to give you the technical theological explanation. It says suddenly the curtain of the sanctuary was split in two from top to bottom. The earthquake, the rocks were split, the tombs were also opened. And many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep, that's a euphemism for died, were raised. And they came out of the tombs after his resurrection. Now, I don't think they were raised at the point of his death, and then kept in the tombs till Sunday morning. I think they, when the Lord was raised, is when they came alive, and when the. When the tomb opened, they came out of their tombs as well, and entered the holy city, and appeared to many. What happened here? Well, I'm going to give you the theological explanation. There was a super duper burst of resurrection power. That's the technical explanation. That's the only way I can explain it. There is a super duper burst of of resurrection power at the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. People were raised from the dead. I don't know if they were dead for a short amount of time, like Lazarus, or dead for hundreds of years, or just, you know, a number of years. I don't know because it doesn't say, but they were saints. That means holy people, not specially holy, more than you and me. But the word saint has to do with anyone that's trusted the Lord and is a holy person. Because God has made us holy by justification. He's declared us righteous. And they were raised. I think it was partially they appeared to people that was sort of, sort of further testimony of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. Uh, that was their purpose to testify of his resurrection. And then I don't know how long they lived, but they must have died again. Uh, they could have been translated. The Bible doesn't say, but nevertheless, uh, if they lived on Earth, then they had to die again. Uh, or they were translated. The Bible doesn't say. And I'll just leave it at that. Uh, I presume that if they continued to live on Earth, they would have, because they are not they were not raised to immortality the way the Lord Jesus was. That will only happen with the ultimate resurrection of the dead. And so they would have had to die again the way, uh uh, Lazarus had. Or as you say, they might have been translated, I don't know. But their key function was to testify of the risen Lord. Okay.
S6: Okay. Thank you very much. You answered a number of questions for me today. Just listening.
S7: So great.
S1: So glad, so grateful. Uh, I'm so most grateful that the Lord Jesus is alive. Uh, we often talk about Jesus died for our sins, but he was raised for our justification. Just don't forget that he's alive and he's coming back. We're going to talk about more of your questions in just a moment. This is Michael Wright Zelnick. You're listening to Open Line. Stay with us. Welcome back to Open Line. Uh, I just have to say, you can't even make a little name mistake on an open line, people usually don't catch it. But earlier caller was talking with me about kings, whether they could be priests, whether David was a priest. And I said, Asa offered incense. And I knew right away I got the name wrong and I was going to say something. I went on to the next call and forgot. But it was Uzziah. However, my friend, my really good friend. He's been on the program, Larry Feldman, immediately just now texting me, calling me. You got to correct it. It was Uzziah. No, not Asa, I love Larry, uh, because, you know, he's right. You got to get those details right even when you misspeak. So thank you, Larry. Uh, you know, there's no one I know in the whole world that knows the details of every king better than Larry Feldman. It's. He's like one of my heroes in the whole world. And the reason is because he reads the scriptures so faithfully for so many years, every day. Hasn't missed a day in over 50 years. I think that that that's just phenomenal. And that's why he's my hero. I just think that's the most outstanding quality that a person can have. And I love what he says. His epitaph will be on his, uh, on his gravestone one day. It will say, read the word. And I think that that's a great reminder of what his life has been built on. So anyway, thank you, Larry, for calling, I love it. Uh, I do want to talk about a book that really helps me understand the word. It's our current resource. That book is called the Everyday Commentary Bible Commentary on the Book of Acts. It was written by Doctor Charles Ryrie, one of my favorite teachers I had in graduate school. He really knows the word. And this book of history and apologetics and theology and biography, It's just such a wonderful book. But it's it's challenging and sometimes you need a little help to get through it. And that's why we're making this our current resource. It's yours with a gift of any size to open line. We want to say thank you by sending you this book. If you'd like a copy of the Everyday Bible Commentary on Acts. The best way to do that is just go to our website, openline radio.org and you can give there. Or you can call (888) 644-7122. And then you can give your gift and we'll send you. But be sure to ask for the everyday Bible commentary on Acts by Charles Ryrie, and we'll be sure to send it to you to say thanks for your generous gift. We really appreciate you. We're going to talk to David in Idaho, listening on KNBR Spokane station. Welcome to Open Line. David. How can I help you?
S8: Well, it's.
S4: A simple but important question in the book of acts, verse 60, Stevens said, Lord, do not hold this sin against them. Then also in Matthew chapter five, verse 44, Jesus said, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute against you. Can you dialogue about that a little bit in detail for me, please? Are we supposed to say this every time we when we die, or is that a legalistic or is it a requirement? Because I don't hear that in very many people actually talking about that in funerals or death or anything like that.
S1: Well, you know, when you're being martyred, it's a different story than if you die peacefully. You know, in your in your bed. The the point of acts 759 is Peter is being stoned. And he prayed for those people who were throwing the stones. Uh, just as when the Lord was being crucified, he said, father, forgive them. They don't know what they're doing. Uh, I think in those kinds of circumstances. Uh, I think it's it's it's crucial that we recognize that people act in ignorance and, and have a heart of compassion for those that are even, uh, if we're being martyred, martyring us. So, uh, that's what that is. Does that grant them eternal forgiveness? Eternal redemption? No. Of course not. But it's a heart of compassion. It's asking God to intervene in their lives so that they would see and repent. That's what the point of that is. Uh, you know, I do think it changes our perspective of those of those who who might want to hurt us. Uh. I think that when we moved to New York, There was a guy that lived in the apartment directly under us. That was just the grouchiest, meanest guy. His family had left him because he was so grouchy and mean, and we did everything to try to win him over. Uh, Eva would bake cookies and bring it to his apartment. He was directly under us, uh, in this big apartment building. But he hated that my two year old son was running around the apartment because he could hear his little feet and would complain all the time if he. If my son fell out of the chair, he was a toddler and bumped, I'd have a phone call instantly complaining about all the noise. Uh, and he was so grouchy. And then one of the most important things that a friend of ours said to us. Eva was just like she was beyond herself trying to know what to do about this guy. She was getting really angry. And, uh, finally a friend said, you know, Eva, he's walking in darkness And and that just changed Eva's whole perspective. The man was walking in darkness. He. He was angry at the world because he was angry at himself. And he was angry at everything going on in his life and the anger he got, the more he struck out at people. And so it changed our attitude to pray for this man. Uh, rather than to become embittered at him. And I think that's the model of Steven right there when he's being martyred. So, anyway, uh, we're going to talk to Susan in Florida, listening on Wcqs. Welcome to Open Line. Susan, how can I help you today?
S9: Oh, hi. How are you? Thank you for taking my call. Sure. Um, I just had a question about, uh. And I know. No, everybody doesn't know all the answers to this, but I kind of wanted your insight on what.
S1: Would you call the right place? I know all the answers to everything. Don't you know?
S9: Yeah.
S1: No, I don't know everything. Okay.
S9: That's all right. Well, I was just wondering, like, what is the purpose of the millennium? It sounds like a dumb question, but why wouldn't we all just go to heaven? And, I mean, is it to show what the world would have been like if Adam and Eve had never sinned? And will people have marry and have children in the millennium and will?
S1: Well, you've got you've got a lot of questions. Let me just explain this, okay. First of all, uh, at the rapture, I think the rapture will happen before the tribulation. We, the the dead in Christ, will rise, be raised to immortality. Right? And those of us who are alive and remain will be translated, transformed in an instant to be with the Lord to immortality. But the tribulation continues. Uh, will start afterwards. After that resurrection. Translation. Rapture. Uh, the the end result will be the great, uh, A campaign of Armageddon. And of course, you know, Israel will call upon the Lord and the nation as a whole. Not every last one, but 99 and 4000/400 percent will call on the Lord, and he will come and deliver Israel. So there will be people entering the kingdom of Jewish people who have not yet been resurrected or translated. Also at the judgment of the sheep and the goats, judging the Gentile nations for what they have done during the tribulation, those who are believers will be the sheep. They will enter into the joy of their Lord. They will go into the kingdom without yet having been resurrected. And so we've got we've got people entering the kingdom who are not yet resurrected. Guess what? They will marry. They will have children. Their children during the millennium will have to trust the Lord Jesus to be saved. That's a lot. We don't think of it. Oh, it's the kingdom. It's going to be perfect. No, there will be people born with sin natures who will need to trust the Lord Jesus to be saved in the kingdom. And that explains a couple of things. One, when people say, why are there going to be sacrifices in Ezekiel 40 through 48, in the kingdom, in the messianic kingdom on earth, the thousand year millennium? Why? Because it will be sort of like the Lord's Supper is today, looking back at the, uh, the the death and resurrection of the Lord, the Lord will be alive before us, reigning over us. But it will remind people about it, because there won't be as much death. It will remind people about what God paid, the price that God paid to redeem us. And that's the point of those sacrifices. So there'll be sacrifices. People will have to trust the Lord. And then at the end of the millennium, there's going to be one last rebellion of all of many people who didn't trust the Lord. Now think about it. Satan is bound during the millennium, and still there will be people who don't know the Lord. And when they get the chance, when he is released, they will rebel against him once more. Revelation 20 tells us, what does this tell us? We always want to blame the devil, you know. We want to say, the devil made me do it. This is saying that it's our flesh that drives us away from God and that. So one of the purposes, I don't know all the purposes of the millennium, but one purpose is to show us our need and not blame others, not blame the enemy, but show our own need, uh, for, uh, for trusting in the Lord and, uh, and not to blame the enemy. So that's the purpose of the millennium. Uh, I hope that helps with some of your questions. Uh, if I knew everything, I would tell you everything. But I don't know everything. I just know a little bit. So.
S9: No, that sounds good. I mean, so everyone that's ever lived or died won't be in the millennium.
S1: Say that again. Say that again.
S9: Everyone that's ever lived in the history of time. Will they be in the millennium or. Or not? Well, everybody be in the millennium.
S1: Well, redeemed people will be in the millennium. Those who enter the the millennium will be redeemed people. But then they will. But the people who are not redeemed won't enter the kingdom. They will be resurrected. It says in revelation, after the messianic kingdom, after the millennium. Okay, but believers will enter it and the resurrected believers will have participation in the kingdom, so they'll be both resurrected and people who are not yet resurrected. In the kingdom of the not yet resurrected, there will be people who know the Lord and some people who don't. Okay.
S9: Okay. Yeah. Okay. All right. Thank you so much for that. Yeah.
S1: You know, I think sometimes we just like, it's. It seems a little confusing when we look at all the stuff about the End of days, but, you know, you kind of parcel it out. You can understand it. Um, but the main thing is Jesus is coming back. He's going to reign. Let's not forget that. That's the most important part of it. Uh, we're going to come back with more of your questions in just a moment. This is open line with Michael Radonich. Stay right.
UU: There. We're coming back.
S1: Welcome back to Open Line. So glad that your listening today. And to hear Haynes is joining me right now for the Febc mailbag. That's the Far Eastern Broadcasting Company mailbag. I'm so grateful for Far Eastern Broadcasting Company for partnering with with us to with Moody Radio to bring you Open Line. And it's just a really terrific ministry that uses media to reach the world. And, you know, some people say, well, you know, you need a more personal touch. Well, Febc have people on the ground that do follow up. They have a marvelous ministry. If you'd like to know more, just go to their website, febc.org, and click on the link about their podcast until all I've heard, and you'll learn all about this fabulous ministry, other resources at their website as well that you'll find helpful. So check out febc.org and to hear a Haynes is right here. Let's see. I don't know what to call you. An associate producer of Open Line. Do you have a job title?
S10: Producer.
S1: Producer. Producer.
S10: Okay. Thank you.
S1: Uh, I know that you're kind of one of our people here in Moody Radio. That's that's going to be producing a bunch of different shows, backing up people like Tricia and others. That's correct. At different times. And you've been here. That's why there's such a crowd out there in the booth. You know you're there. Trish is there. Others are learning. Chris is there. I mean, we got so many people. It's quite the team, isn't it?
S10: I agree. Yeah. And I love the way Moody radio trains. We learn step by step how to do this job, how to do it well, how to support our hosts as such as you, Michael. And then also how to support our listeners. Yeah. So it's a great team. I really.
S1: Appreciate it. You know, I it was so funny. A few weeks ago, I'd been having my friend Steve Sanchez, who teaches Bible in here, and people thought I was getting ready to quit Open Line. No, I'm trying to train someone so that if I have to go away and he will be hosting, I think in September 23rd, I think is the date. Uh, I just wanted to give someone a chance to to practice a little bit and learn with with me. It's not that I'm quitting. Far be it. I love this, but I just think it's important that we. I think it's the model of the Bible. What did Jesus do with his disciples? He trained them. And he.
S10: Did. He did.
S1: And Paul trained others. It's whatever it is that you're doing. If you're good at it, then what you do is you train the next person and then they can, you know, the things you. That's discipleship. Things you've seen and heard in me. These things, Timothy, commit to faithful men that they might, uh, equip others also. So. Amen. That's it. So anyway, uh, let's let's talk about some of these questions.
S10: Great, great. We'll start with Mitzi in Florida, who listens through WCS and revelation 12 with the woman and the Dragon. Is this an event that is yet to come, or is it something that we are living now?
S1: Uh, in my opinion, what we see revelation is really a futuristic book. It's a book of prophecy about predictive prophecy, and it's dealing with the tribulation period. And it deals with the first, uh, I'd say first six verses. Five verses, uh, is the coming of the Messiah. Uh, but the woman in revelation 12 represents Israel. That's what the sun, moon and stars uh, represent, just like in Joseph's dream. Um, and, uh, and then, uh, her child, the the Jewish child, the woman that's Israel was caught up to God and his throne. That's the ascension of the Lord Jesus. And then the woman fled into the wilderness where she had a place prepared by God to be fed there for 1260 days, 1260 days. That's the second half of the tribulation. Those dates have been specified already in the book of Daniel. Thank you. So the second half of the tribulation, what's going to happen to to get verse six to understand that is what happens, is that the the tribulation begins when Israel signs a covenant with the future false Messiah. Midway through that seven year period, that false Messiah demands worship as the Messiah he demands, and he goes into the temple and tries to receive worship. Israel says, we made a covenant of peace with you, but we're not going to worship you as the Messiah. You're not the Messiah. And he begins to persecute them, so they will flee to the wilderness. Many people, I included, think I think it's going to be, uh, a place called Bozrah or Petra in across the Jordan River. Uh, and that's the place that's been prepared. And God will use that, that the rest of that passage deals with the attack by the dragon or Satan on the Jewish people at that time. So I think it's future. Second half of the tribulation in verse six. That's what begins the second half.
S10: Thank you for that. Excellent, excellent explanation. And Mitzi, thank you so much for that question. Yep. Um, we also have a big question.
S1: Can I just say something? This is really important. Uh, when I teach this passage, I often call it the mystery of anti-Semitism explained. Wow. Because why is it that Jewish people have suffered the longest hatred, the oldest hatred in the world is anti-Semitism, hatred of the Jewish people. And this tells me that it's driven by the dragon. The what is behind all the hatred of the Jewish people? It's the enemy, it's satanic, and it's a theological explanation. There's no other good reason for it. Hatred of the Jewish people is driven by Satan because Satan hates whom God loves. That's one of the key ideas. Also, Satan wants to obstruct God's plan. And if he could somehow put an end to the Jewish people, he could have prevented the sun from coming the first time the Messiah, the Lord Jesus. And if he can somehow, uh, destroy the Jewish people, then he can prevent the Lord Jesus from returning because he said he won't return. Matthew 2337 through 39 until Israel welcomes him. So this explains why is it that Jewish people have been such an object of hatred? It's satanic. And the reason I mentioned that is we have on November 9th, a a summit coming up right here in Chicago at Moody Bible Institute. It's the summit opposing anti-Semitism. I'll be speaking. It's a one day conference. I'll be speaking. Don Sweeting will be speaking. Mark Jobe, our president will be speaking. Mitch Glazer, president of Chosen People ministries will be speaking. It's going to be a terrific day for understanding this, this hatred of God's people and how we, as followers of the Jewish Messiah, Jesus can stand with his people in opposing it. And so I really want to let people know about it. There's a if you want to know more about it, just go to Open Line radio.org. Click on the link there. About the summit opposing anti-Semitism, I think, and I really hope people will plan to come for that day. It's going to be a fantastic day, culminating with a concert by Marty and Misha Goetz. So I think your people will really like it. So anyway, I just wanted to kind of show this, this, this significance. It's not just that it's future, but it reveals something that's been always, always been true.
S10: Thank you so much for that additional information. And that's a wonderful lineup for that, for that seminar, for that conference. So thank you so much. Thank you. We also have a question. It's a pretty big question. And it's from Kirstie in Minnesota who listens with Faith radio. Um, she says her question is, where do you stand on the issue of remarriage after the divorce? And we know there are a lot of differing opinions, even from biblical scholars on this topic.
S1: Yeah, there are a lot of different views and people will differ. But here's how I understand it. Uh, based on Matthew 19, where the Lord Jesus gives the exception clause except for cause of immorality. Uh, I believe if someone breaks their vows of fidelity, uh, that divorce is permitted, but not required, but permitted. If can this marriage be saved? You know, you sometimes hope that it can. But there are times where there is a partner in the marriage that refuses to repent and change ways, and Therefore divorce would be permitted, and if that if a divorce comes with biblical grounds of immorality, then then yes, the person can remarry biblically. The second area is in first Corinthians seven, where if a person is married to someone who doesn't know the Lord, and that person who doesn't know the Lord doesn't want to stay but abandons the marriage, that would justify a person if they've been abandoned to be remarried. And and not only that, I mean, I think that any time a person abandons, I think that's a principle that's given there. If a person just refuses to be married, abandons the marriage, the the one partner doesn't, uh, want to have a divorce, but the other determines. I think that abandonment is a is a justification for remarriage. Uh, and then now this is where I get a little more controversial. I think there are a lot of people who agree with me about adultery and abandonment, but, uh, I believe the most grievous way a person can abandon their vows, even if they're willing to stay, is with violence. Uh, and that is an abandonment of their vows. Even if they're they're still present in the home. In fact, they've become a danger because they stay present in the home. I think that is, uh, now, I'm not the only one. Wayne Grudem has come along now, uh, who changed his view and added, uh, abuse, physical abuse as a justification for divorce and remarriage, and I would I would agree with him about that. Uh, Wayne Grudem, a great theologian and has written about that in recent years. Uh, in my judgment, again, this is just me speaking, not setting policy for any organization or church, but just as I as I understand it, physical abuse is what I would say.
S10: So thank you, Michael, for diving into those deep waters. Thank you.
S1: And you know everyone, there are people who will call me and they'll say, I've got I've got this problem with my marriage and I don't know about divorce. I say, that's where you need to talk to a pastor, because I would need to hear the whole story and all the details. And I talk to your pastor, is what I would say. And if a person is struggling with the issue of divorce and remarriage, talk to your pastor. Good advice. That's what I would say. Yeah. Anyway, thanks for bringing those questions. Uh, we're going to come back with more of your calls in just a moment. Uh, this is Michael Radonich, Tara Haynes with the questions you've sent in. Check out check out our website, Open Line radio.org. There's a link there that says Ask Michael a question, and you can certainly post your question there, and we'll get to it in the mailbag. We're coming right back with more of your calls. So stay with us right here on Open Line with Michael. Rachel, Mike. Welcome back to Open Line. My name is Michael Read Melnick, and you heard me talking with Tara. If you listened to the last segment and we talked about all the different people who are serving here at Moody Radio, the great team that we have, I'm so grateful for them. I'm so grateful for the people that you may know and the people that you may not know, because it's a great team. And also there are people that you wouldn't know, but they're out there. They're our kitchen table partners. They are the folks that really keep open line on the air. They not just regular listeners, but they help support Open Line by giving monthly so we can be on the air weekly. Appreciate those kitchen table partners so much. And some people give occasionally. Maybe you'd even consider becoming a monthly partner, kitchen table partner and give every month so that we can be sure to stay on the air. That's the most helpful to us. Uh, and if you do, what I'll do is I'll send you a Bible study moment every other week. Uh, just a little 5 or 10 minute Bible study that you click on and your email and you get to listen to. I know that you're going to find it really helpful. And if you'd like to become a kitchen table partner, the way to do that is go to our website, openline radio.org, and there's a link there you can click on or you can call 88864471228886447122. And thank you so much for considering becoming a kitchen table partner. And we're going to talk right now with Christopher calling from Florida listening to Rmbb. Welcome to Open Line. Christopher. How can I help you today.
S11: Hi mister, I, I just wanted to ask, um, what are the trends? Wait, wait.
S1: Chris. Chris, how old are you?
S11: I'm 13.
S1: You're 13. Wow. And you? Listen, your parents make you listen to open line with them. Is that what you're doing here?
S11: Yeah. I'm listening with my aunt and my mom.
S1: With your mom? That's great, I love that. It's kind of a fun way to do Bible study together, don't you think? With your mom. That's fun. So.
S11: Oh, yeah. Definitely.
S1: Hey, what grade are you going into right now?
S11: I'm going into eighth grade.
S1: Wow. So now you're 13. But I guess you haven't had a bar mitzvah yet, have you? Huh?
S11: Uh, no, I haven't.
S1: Usually it's just Jewish kids that have a bar mitzvah, but, uh, I think it's your bar mitzvah age. Let's say. So. It's good that you're asking questions. You know, Jesus asks. Answered questions of the the leaders of Israel, uh, back when he was 12. So it's a good age to be talking about the Bible. Go ahead with your question. I'm sorry to be diverting you.
S12: Go ahead.
S11: Oh no problem. So in Matthew six, uh, verse 19 to 22, uh, like Jesus mentions, like to gather your treasures in heaven, but what what are those treasures?
S1: Uh, I think it's gold doubloons. Doubloons? That's what it is. I don't know what they are going to be. Here's what I know in first Corinthians three. It talks about when we serve God. Uh, we're we're we're working. We're building on a foundation. And that foundation is either built with wood, hay and straw, or we can build with gold, silver or costly stones. And the work that we do, it says, will be revealed by the fire of God, and it will test the quality of each one's work. And if the work is made of gold or silver. Obviously these are metaphorical usages or precious gems that will survive the fire, whereas wood, hay and straw wouldn't. And it says, uh, if anyone's work is burned up, it will be lost, but he will be saved. It will be like an escape through fire. But basically what will happen is we will receive a reward. Uh, now, some people say it's crowns. There's the 24 elders in the book of revelation, and they have crowns. And what do they do? They toss their crowns at the feet of the Lord Jesus. I think that whatever reward or treasure that we receive in heaven, we will give back to him, because he's the one that deserves it the most. But I think there'll be some sort of reward that will receive, you know, in, in, uh, first Corinthians nine, it talks about us receiving a reward as well. Uh, everyone who competes, It says uh uh will exercise self-control in everything. However they do it to receive a crown that will fade away. But we do it to receive a crown that will never fade away. So, uh, obviously we're getting again. It's a metaphor. The victor's crown, uh, for a reward. So I think that's what the Lord Jesus is talking about. I think the biggest reward we'll receive is one day we'll stand before the Lord and he will say, if we have been faithful, well done, good and faithful servant. That's what my hope for the greatest treasure I could receive in heaven. Okay, Christopher.
S11: All right. Thank you. Yeah.
S1: Thanks for your call. Really appreciate it. Uh, Natalie in Ohio, uh, listening on Wtxf. Welcome to Open Line. How can I help you?
S13: Thank you. My question is, are there modern day apostles and prophets? And should Christians allow these individuals to predict what is going to happen in the future in their personal lives?
S14: Okay, can you give me.
S13: Bible scripture to back this.
S14: Up?
S1: Yeah, well, if you look at acts one, when they were choosing the apostles to to replace Judas, they said they wanted someone who had been with them from the beginning that had seen the resurrected Lord and that could, uh, testify with them of the resurrection. Right. So we've got something here. Uh, therefore, he says, I'm I'm finding the verse, uh, verse chapter one, verse 22 of acts 122, beginning from the baptism of John until the day he was taken from us, from among these, as someone who has been with them, from among these, it's necessary that one become a witness with us of his resurrection. In one Corinthians nine one, Paul defends his apostleship. He was not one of the 12, but he defends his apostleship. He says, am I not an apostle? Have I not seen the Lord? So it seems to me to be an apostle with a capital A, so to speak. Uh, a person needs to have seen physically the resurrected Lord Jesus and testify of that. Now, that tells me that today there aren't apostles like that. And if there aren't apostles like that, that affects a whole lot of other things as well, because there are certain actions that are associated with the apostles. So, uh, but the point is that that shows that there is at least some gifts that were temporary. As for prophets and prophecies. It depends on how you define it. I believe that they were from the foundation of the church, apostles and prophets and, and and therefore the foundation has been laid, and there are no more people that will be predicting what's going to go on in our lives for today. We'll just stick with the scriptures. I hope that helps. Natalie, next time let's talk about it in the future. Another time. This has been, uh, fastest two hours of the week. So glad you listened. Thanks, Chris Seeger, Tricia McMillan, Tara Haynes, for all that you did to bring this program to fruition. Uh, thanks for every caller. Really appreciate you. Check out our website, openline. radio.org. It's got all the links you're looking for. Uh, I'll keep reading the Bible. We'll talk about it next week. Open line is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute. Have a great week.