S1: Imagine leading a tour group to the Holy Land right now, with the Iran conflict still underway. What would it look like to travel throughout Israel? Well, you're about to find out. Today's guest is just back from Israel and shares encouraging stories and some great ideas to help us connect deeper with the Holy Land. Even if you never leave home. Hey, welcome to the land and the book. Our host has been fascinated with the Middle East most of his life. Doctor Charlie Dyer, it's great to connect with you today, Charlie.
S2: John, it's good talking to you and I'm looking forward to our time together.
S1: Well, I sure am too. You know, as believers, there's a great need for us to share the gospel with the Jewish people. In fact, many of our listeners faithfully pray and partner with ministries doing just that. But what if you could personally take part in bringing the gospel to Jewish people?
S2: Yeah, and that's why our friends at Life and Messiah would love the opportunity to get believers involved in Jewish ministry. They regularly organize outreach teams to Brooklyn, South Florida and even to Israel outside times of conflict. These ministry trips will equip you to understand how to share the gospel with Jewish people. Give you the opportunity to actively share your faith and provide tools and resources that you can take home with you. If you would like to get hands on training and practical experience in Jewish evangelism, you can learn more by visiting. Life in messiah.org and clicking on the Moody radio button there. That's life in messiah.org.
S1: The conflict between the U.S. and Iran was at least temporarily overshadowed this past week by the announcement of a defense pact between Turkey, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. Is that pact designed to defend these countries against Iran, or could it impact Israel?
S2: Well, you know, at first glance, one might see it as a defense pact against Shiite Iran by three Sunni Muslim states who are also allies with the U.S. but the deal does seem to go deeper. In part, it could be a reaction to concerns over the U. S s long term commitment to the region, or over our ability to provide protection. The U.S. has apparently gone through a large portion of its supply of missiles and other strategic arms without being able to defeat Iran. Our government is now pressuring arms firms to speed up output, but the funding to boost that production is stuck in Congress. If the U.S. is unable or unwilling to come to their aid, these three countries are hoping a defense pact will make each one less vulnerable as a target. And there are other pieces to this puzzle. All three countries are opposed to Israel and in favor of a Palestinian state. Turkey has a strong military capacity and arms industry. Saudi Arabia has vast oil wealth, and Pakistan has nuclear missiles. Together they do form a Muslim threat to Israel, but they also have other adversaries in the region. Pakistan's main enemy is India, which also has nuclear weapons and a large army. And Turkey is seen as a threat by Greece and Cyprus. Saudi Arabia has really proven to be something of a paper tiger in this conflict, with Iran being unable or unwilling to respond to drones and missiles fired at them by Iran and the Houthis. The U.S. has been trying to normalize relations between Israel and the surrounding Arab countries through the Abraham Accords. This defense pact could signal the potential end of that plan, with these countries relying less on the U.S. and more on one another. It's possible another alliance could be forming to counterbalance this one. Over the past several years, India and Israel have been developing a major defense partnership with India, purchasing Israel's military technology and hardware, while also supplying Israel with weapons and ammunition that in the past came from Europe and the U.S.. Israel, Greece and Cyprus have also been quietly partnering economically and militarily. If the U.S. is unable or unwilling to assert its leadership in the region, it's possible there could be three spheres of influence vying for power Turkey wanting to rebuild that Sunni Muslim Ottoman Empire, Iran trying to refashion a Shiite Persian Empire, and Israel, India, Greece and Cyprus trying to forge a defensive alliance based on technology and common threats.
S1: This is the land in the book from Moody Radio, a look at current events based in the region right now. Israel officially rejected the 15 point plan by the Board of Peace for Gaza's reconstruction. How does this impact the future of Gaza, and will it impact Israel's relationship with President Trump and the U.S.?
S2: Yeah, apparently everything isn't as it seems. President Trump doesn't appear to have been bothered by Prime Minister Netanyahu's public rejection, and Netanyahu's statement needs to be understood, I think, in light of Israel's current election campaign. It's something of an election posturing, if you will. A US official reportedly said the US wasn't bothered by Netanyahu's public stance against the plan, focusing instead on what's actually happening in Gaza. Israel has dialed back some of its strikes in Gaza and has been gradually returning to the yellow line, which was the demarcation line when the cease fire was implemented. In addition, the US and the mediators agreed with Israel's demand that Hamas needs to begin disarming. The head of the Board of Peace stressed that the goal is to make sure Gaza is never again a threat to Israeli security. The plan is that Israel will remain in place until sector by sector. The decommissioning of weapons is certified with the weapons first gathered and then rendered unusable. Only then would Israel pull back from that sector. Meanwhile, other countries continue to join the International stabilisation force in Gaza. Uganda became the most recent nation agreeing to deploy its troops there. So in spite of the headlines, at least for now, the process in Gaza does seem to be moving forward, though not as smoothly as some might have wished.
S1: Charlie, where is the logic in assuming that after Hamas shot thousands of rockets into Israel started a war, Israel should have to pay anything for Gaza's reconstruction?
S2: Well, and I think Israel's basically saying they're not planning on paying anything. The coalition's been trying to secure funds from other countries. The problem is that with Iran hitting the UAE and Saudi Arabia and other countries, the money that they were expecting to come in for Gaza's rebuilding may not be there. So this process may take longer than expected, but I don't think Israel's planning on spending the money. They're more concerned about their security. And they're saying, we're not going to pull out of Gaza until we know that Hamas isn't going to be there again to start all over.
S1: We know Israel's election process is complex. Can you simplify all the current maneuvering to help us understand just a bit better what's taking place?
S2: Well, I'll try, but as near as I can tell, there are three keys that we need to understand to get a handle on their election process. The first is to realize that people vote for a party, and not for individual candidates. For a party to make it into the Knesset, it needs to receive at least 3.25% of the total votes cast. Reach that goal and your party has at least four seats in the Knesset. Get just under that goal, and your party receives no seats in the Knesset, and all the votes that were given for your party were wasted. The second key is to realize that the goal isn't just to get elected, but to be able to build a coalition government after the election. That's why smaller parties or parties on the bubble often merge with other parties to boost the total number of votes. But that can be a gamble because it's possible the merger can make your party less attractive to your potential voters. A brilliant alliance on paper could prove disastrous as the election campaign unfolds. And then the third key is to realize that voter preferences swing wildly during the election season. As new parties and alliances form, they often receive a strong bounce in the polls. But then, once voters look more closely, that support declines. Right now, Netanyahu and Likud are polling at 24 seats, while Gadi Eisenkot Yashar party is just behind at 23 seats. Naftali Bennett and Yair Lapid's together party. This is one of those mergers seems to have dropped and finally stabilized at around 13 seats. It doesn't appear that Netanyahu's current coalition or the coalition of parties around Eisenkot, yet have enough votes to form a governing coalition. The remaining seats appear to be in the hands of the different Arab parties. Now watch to see if Mansour Abbas Arab Ra'am party will try to join the opposition coalition. That happened once before with Naftali Bennett when he was prime minister, and apparently there are at least some discussions underway now. Now, with two more months to go. Anything can happen.
S1: Fighting cancer but without drugs. That sounds like an alternative treatment offered by fringe medical practices. But this innovative technology is being developed by researchers at the Technion Israel Institute of Technology. Tell us more about this latest research coming out of Amazing Israel. Charlie.
S2: Yeah. This new cancer fighting technology uses advanced nanoparticles that carry no drugs at all. The initial focus for this research is aggressive triple negative breast cancer, which has rapid progression and high resistance to conventional therapies. The cancer hijacks a person's white blood cells into supporting its growth and preventing the immune system from attacking it effectively. This new approach acts by having the nanoparticles compete with the white blood cells for binding sites in the tumor. They accumulate in very high concentrations around the tumor and inhibit its growth. The nanoparticles can be manufactured in quantity, and the materials are already classified by the FDA as generally recognized as safe, which could help its transition to clinical trials. The treatment represents a conceptual shift. It doesn't work through the release of active substances, but from the biological information encoded on the surface of the nanoparticle itself, it's the interaction with the immune system that triggers the therapeutic effect. Now, there's still a long road ahead until final adoption, but the researchers hope the treatment will open doors to a new generation of cancer therapies, and that would deliver another benefit to the world from these dedicated scientists in Israel.
S1: And that's a look at current events from the Middle East, where we're going to hear a report from someone who has just returned from Israel, a guy who led a tour to the Holy Land said it went great. He's got some cool stories, some great insights and more for us. So stick around for more on the land and the book, our website, The land and the book.org. If you've traveled to Israel, you know how difficult it is to effectively share what you've seen and experienced. If only people could wrap their minds around this. We say they'd be changed forever. Well, since his first visit to Israel back in 2000, today's guest has been doing just that. He's back recently from the Holy Land and shares what it's like to tour the Holy Land in today's climate. Next. Hey, welcome back to the land and the book. I'm John Geiger, and just before we fly off to Israel, let's ponder another great idea for sharing Jesus with a Jewish friend here at home. Do you hear these conversations week after week on the land in the book? And you say, I don't really live near many Jewish people. How can I still show practical love and support for the Jewish community? Let's ask Roy Schwartz. He's with Chosen People Ministries. Roy.
S3: Well, I think regularly praying for Israel and for the Jewish people, understanding that they have a key part in the future of our future and the preparations of God's setting up his soon return. Realizing that there is an inextricable link for us as believers to the Jewish people, that that our Messiah is Jewish, that our God is Jewish in sending His Son, and that his faithfulness to that covenant is ours as well. And so as you think on what we're learning here in the land, in the book and applying that in our own walk in our life and our conversations, that'll overflow, and that'll prepare you to share with other believers who need to know that because today the church is really unaware of the the fact that Christianity is Jewish.
S1: Yeah. And over time, I think don't you think God will very likely show you somebody who is Jewish? Bring that person into your life as well, if you ask him.
S3: Yeah. And if you're praying for them, you'll be ready.
S1: Roy Schwartz is with Chosen People Ministries here on the land and the book. Wayne Stiles loves connecting the Bible and its lands to life. His goal is to deliver practical content to encourage you in your relationship with God. For two years, he wrote a weekly column for the online edition of The Jerusalem Post. Wayne has also written for devotional books which show the practical application of the Bible lands to life. Wayne lives in North Texas with his wife, Kathy, and the couple has two adult daughters, a son in law and two rather precious grandsons. Hey, welcome back to the land and the book, Wayne.
S4: Hey, John. And I'm surprised you remembered all that. That's great.
S1: Well, a little help from. I think the World Wide Web might have been in order there. Hey, Wayne, at your website, you comment that Kathy and I took our first trip to Israel in 2000, and frankly, I have never recovered. I have to ask you, can you remember all that time ago what struck you the most that first trip?
S4: I definitely can. In fact, that first trip was taken or led by our good friend Charlie Dyer, and it was so wonderful. I think our first time to Jerusalem was probably the thing that sticks out the most. We got to our hotel and then just walked down the street to go to the Old City for the first time, and I was so giddy. And it was because I just realized here in this very city, the whole universe was redeemed. I've just I've never recovered.
S1: I love that phrase. The whole universe redeemed. That's a that's an insight I've not heard. Thank you for that. Hey, how many trips though, would you guess you've made to the Holy Land in the last quarter century? Wayne.
S4: Oh good grief. More than 30. My goal is to beat Charlie Dyer at some point. But if it's any consolation, I know he's not been to Rome. And I have been to all the lands of the Bible, including the, you know, uh, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, Italy, the whole shebang. Turkey like 80 times. So that's getting close to Charlie territory there.
S1: Well, you're getting there. But you gotta remember now, he's been twice invited to the nation of Iraq. That's also a great Bible land. Yep. Hey, uh, you were there in Israel with a group recently, and some listeners are saying, what with the Iran conflict, never too far out of view. I'm assuming some of your friends thought you were nuts to lead a group there right now.
S4: No kidding. Uh, it was literally two weeks ago we got back from Jerusalem, and we did have people. In fact, the folks that were even on our tour were pretty hesitant about going. But, you know, I mean, I can tell you when we were there, it was like so many other times you read the news, it says one thing and you go and experience it, and it is a completely different experience. MM.
S1: Connecting deeper with the Holy Land. That's our goal today as we talk with Wayne Styles here on the land and the book. Let me ask the obvious was it difficult to even travel to Israel from the USA? What about flights and all that?
S4: Yeah, John, I mean, that was probably the most difficult thing. All of the people on our tour had either flights changed or cancelled. We had our flights cancelled, and so we had to rebook. But once we got there and got through all the hassle of just transitioning, it was fantastic. We had the country pretty much to ourselves and we were able to go and enjoy the land as if everything was just fine because honestly, it was.
S1: I'm sure the number one question that people back home have asked you is, how safe did you and your group feel while there?
S4: We felt completely safe. And the reason we did is because we had a guide. We had a driver who knew what was going on. They could keep their ear to the ground. And this is just always the case. You always want to go with somebody that is aware of what's going on, and when that's the case, you can go and have a very safe and a very meaningful time. In fact, in all the many times that I've been over the last 26 years, I can only think of a couple of times that our tour has been affected. And that was just a change in itinerary. Not once did we ever feel unsafe.
S1: I understand that the original Isaiah scroll was on display at the Israel Museum. What was that like? To see it with your own eyes? Wayne.
S4: That was actually fantastic. You know, the Isaiah scroll, the facsimile there in the in the shrine of the book has been up for decades. We've been able to see that no problem. But to look at the real thing, I mean, to look down and see the entire Isaiah scroll laid out under this glass on a long table. You know, honestly, it looked pretty much the same as the facsimile, but knowing that that was the real thing. I mean, not Isaiah's actual text, but the original Dead Sea Scroll. It was wonderful. In fact, I even was able to pull together enough of my Hebrew to find that wonderful chapter 40, verse one that says comfort, comfort my people. Uh, it was great. And they only let you stay in there like five minutes. So you gotta look quick.
S1: Wayne Stiles loves connecting the Bible and its lands to life. He's our guest today in the land and the book. We're so glad he is. What else were you maybe able to see in the land or at that museum specifically that you haven't seen before?
S4: Oh, wow. Honestly, there's not a lot that I hadn't seen before, but the joy that I get is going with people who've never been right. And it's always them. Them that, uh, that gives you the great joy of being in the land again. One of the things that was kind of interesting though, John, was we went up on the Temple Mount on the holiday, called Tisha B'Av. That's the day, I should say, the date in history where the first temple and the Second Temple were destroyed. And so it's the date every year that many Israelis want to go up onto the Temple Mount. So we and hundreds of our closest friends went up in this line to the Temple Mount. And while that was pretty special, I guess because of all Israel wanting to be there, it was what happened after we left that evening, I was scrolling my newsfeed and I saw an article with the headline. In fact, I pulled the headline up so I could read it to you verbatim. It says, and I won't tell you what news source this is from, because that will sort of clue you in onto why this isn't true. But here's the headline. More than 4200 Israelis storm Al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem. And I looked at that and thought, wow, that must have happened after we left. And so I, I looked down and read the article and nope, they were just saying that, you know, thousands of Israeli settlers, quote unquote, went up on the Temple Mount that day because it was to Shabbat. There was no storming. There was no violence. It was just media hype. And the irony is, at the bottom of this website, it says you rely on this website for truth and transparency. Huh?
S1: Wow. Let's talk further about logistics, hotels, restaurants, sites. Any observations comments stories there?
S4: You know, the the sites were they were glad to see us because they have not had any tourists or many tourists in the in the months prior to our going. In fact, the baptism site, the baptism site actually opened for us to baptize one person. And then after we left, they closed down. So it was. It's sort of the best of times, worst of times in that for us it was the best because we had everything to ourselves, but the worst because Israel is really suffering and struggling. They need visitors. They need tourists.
S1: You're listening to The land and the book. I'm John Geiger. We're joined today by Wayne Styles. Based on your experience, Wayne, would you say you do or do not recommend taking or hosting a Holy Land tour right now?
S4: Absolutely. I would recommend that you go because first of all, you're going to have a wonderful time because if you go with someone who understands the political goings on, you will be safe. You will be able to look at all the sites that connect with the Bible. Our tour went two weeks ago during all the things that are going on with Iran that we're aware of, but also a couple of years ago during the Lebanon War, we went as well, and we had a great time because we knew where to go, where not to go. And I really do recommend that you make the journey.
S1: I want to transition now to talk about some tools that you have created with your ministry to help listeners better connect with the Bible and the land where it was written. What's got you most excited these days? Wayne.
S4: I think what most excites me about the tools that I've created on my website is a Bible reading program that allows you to read through the entire Bible in a couple of years, and every week you have a video that gives you a context of a site or some geographical or archaeological aspect of what you're reading in the scriptures. So it gives it gives a great context to the Word of God and into your walk with God.
S1: At the website, I've noticed you've got devotionals, books, audio DVDs. Help us sort through what tools might be a good start for our listeners and why. Maybe different people who are at different points in their journey or their understanding of the Holy Land. Give us some tips here. Wayne.
S4: Yeah, the website that introduces you to walking the Bible lands is what the website is called. It's wonderful because it gives anybody, at any level an introduction to the lands of the Bible and how that can actually connect or help you give a greater understanding to the Word of God itself. So I can't recommend anything better than that. Just go to the website and begin watching the videos and read your Bible right along with it.
S1: Yeah, you've got one series called Reading the Bible Lands, one called Walking the Bible Lands. What's the difference between them?
S4: The walking the Bible lands is just the videos. You pretty much look at them a la carte as you would like to, based on your own personal study or what you're interested in. The Reading the Bible Program is a program where you read the Bible, and the videos are basically given to you right in the reading program.
S1: How do you think it impacts somebody who travels to Israel if they have invested the time before to do some of this. Reading the Bible and walking the Bible ends content at your website.
S4: Sure. Well, you and I both know, John, that when we go to Israel for the first time, or even for the fifth time, there's no way to take in everything. There's so much so fast that it's a bit overwhelming, even if you've been multiple times. The great thing about the website is that it allows you to go at your own speed, your own pace, and it reminds you of things you've seen when you went. And it also shows you many things that your tour never had time to see. Plus, even if you just went to Israel, there's all those other countries, all those other Bible lands that most people in their life are not going to be able to see.
S1: Yeah, you're so right. You know, when you go to the Holy Land on a tour, it all makes sense when you're there. Then you come back and you're looking at your pictures and you're trying to figure out, now, what was that? There's just so much stacked on top of each other all day long. It's almost more than you can take in. So I think there's value in processing it more slowly in a way that you allow us to do with the website there. Got to ask you one last question. How should we be praying for Israel? You're just back. What insights come to your mind as you think about praying for Israel and by transference? How can our listeners be praying for Israel? Wayne.
S4: Boy, that's such a good question. You know, when when we were there, we saw just the great need for Israel not only to have tourists for their economic help, but also just the spiritual need that they have as they pray before the Western Wall, as they are looking forward to a Messiah that's going to come and basically just be a political deliverer. You and I know and our listeners know that there is so much more that they need. They need a spiritual insight. They need the Lord God to open their heart, to believe in their Messiah Jesus, and to, to usher in this wonderful kingdom that the Messiah promises to give Israel.
S1: Your website again. Wayne is.
S4: The website is walking the Bible lands.com.
S1: And we'll link you there as you visit us at the land and thebook.org. Appreciate the visit. Thanks for sharing, Wayne.
S4: Oh, thanks, John. It's always great to talk with you.
S1: I'm looking forward to a great conversation with Gerald Peterman next. He's got a fresh set of Bible questions, always stimulating. So stay with us here on the land and the book. Thanks for staying with us here at the land and the book. I'm John Geiger with me, Gerald Peterman of the Moody Bible Institute faculty. We think you're going to love what's ahead. First, though, as believers, there's a great need for us to share the gospel with the Jewish people. In fact, many of our listeners faithfully pray and partner with ministries that are doing just that. But what if you could personally take part in bringing the gospel to Jewish people? Well, our friends at Life in Messiah would love the opportunity to get believers like you involved in Jewish ministry, and they regularly organize outreach teams to Brooklyn, to South Florida, even to Israel, outside times of conflict. And these ministry trips will equip you to understand how to share the gospel with Jewish people. They'll give you the opportunity to actively share your faith and provide tools and resources you'll take home with you and keep on using if you want to get hands on training. Practical experience in Jewish evangelism. You can learn more by visiting Life in messiah.org and clicking on the Moody radio button. That's life in messiah.org. All right, doctor Peterman, welcome to this segment here on the program you all set with a fresh set of questions. I can see my goodness. A whole lot of oh yeah.
S5: Oh yeah. Good to be here.
S1: By the way if you are struggling with something and wish you had an answer to that question. Why not funnel it our way? Our is really Doctor Peterman's way because he's the guy that does the homework. You can email him at the land and the book@moody.edu. Let me slow it down. The land and the book@moody.edu. Let's dig right in with Robert's question. Was Jesus baptized twice? He says, I think probably not, but I ask because in Matthew, the voice from heaven says, this is my beloved son, with whom I am well pleased. But in Mark and Luke's account, it's. You are my beloved son. With you I am well pleased. Can you help us through this?
S5: This is great. We have so many listeners who think and they ponder this. This is wonderful stuff. In these days in English, quotation marks are very important for us. But in many cultures and in the ancient world, quotation marks were not important. So I conclude the voice from heaven speaks from father to son. You are my beloved son. But Matthew says, this is my beloved son. Because then Matthew kind of turns it into a message for us to apply it to ourselves. And he hasn't distorted the message, but he's made it kind of more applicable for the situation. So two baptisms? No, one, they just get presented slightly differently.
S1: Linda says, will non-believers see the Christians leave for the rapture, or will they see people rise from the dead? I know it's all going to happen very quickly.
S5: She's right because Paul says in first Corinthians 15, this is going to be in the twinkling of an eye. It's going to happen at the last trumpet. Suddenly. Well, there's no particular verse that directly addresses this question, but I think the answer to the question is yes, rapture happens. Non-Believers are going to see it. They're going to be shocked to see us Christians leave talking about the rapture. Paul says the Lord himself will descend from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. Now parts of this sound to me like what happens in acts one. You know Jesus is saying goodbye to the 11 and he ascends and it says, When Jesus had said these things, as they were looking on, he was lifted up and the cloud took him out of sight. This is going to be happening to us. So the disciples saw this with Jesus. I think that some non-believers can see it with us when we get taken to our home.
S1: That's. Doctor Gerald Peterman of the Moody Bible Institute, teaches faithfully there on campus, looking forward, by the way, to a brand new semester just ahead. You all prepped and ready to go?
S5: Well, I'm getting there. It's it's it's a lot of work. I mean, it's fun, but it's a lot of work. I'm I'm about two thirds of the way there.
S1: Okay.
S5: Yeah.
S1: The land and the book@moody.edu is the address to use if you want to email your question to him. The land and the book@moody.edu. Alan takes us to Ezekiel 37, The Valley of Dry Bones. He says, I've always thought that this described the regathering of Israel when they accept the Messiah. But I recently heard that at the time of Jesus, this chapter was interpreted by the Jews, primarily Pharisees, as a proof of the bodily resurrection. Paul referred to this Jewish belief in acts 23, verse six. Are there other biblical references about a belief in a Jewish resurrection? I couldn't find anything that tied Ezekiel 37 to this belief. Is this valid?
S5: Yeah, that's a great question. We should read Ezekiel 37 as about national restoration for Israel. Now, I know it's a long chapter and all of it's really good stuff, but I'm going to focus in on Ezekiel 3711 to 14 the Lord said, Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. Behold, they say, our bones are dried up. Our hope is lost. We're cut off. Therefore say to them, thus says the Lord God, behold, I will open your graves. I will raise you, O my people. I will bring you into the land of Israel. That's restoration. And you shall know that I'm the Lord. That's an internal change. That's a relational change. And I will put my spirit within you, and you shall live. And I will place you in your own land. I will put my spirit within you. This is new covenant way of talking. Now, Ezekiel never mentions a new covenant, but he does talk a couple of times about taking out Israel's hard heart and giving them a heart of flesh that is transformation. So I'm reading Ezekiel 37 is about the transformation of Israel. Now, to get back to other parts of the question? No, there's no indication anywhere in the New Testament that Pharisees went to Ezekiel 37 as about resurrection. They always viewed it as the restoration of national Israel. When we come to this discussion in the first century, as we all know, Sadducees don't believe in resurrection. That's because they only believe in the Pentateuch. Well, Pentateuch is great, but there's more in the Old Testament, right? And one last thing to leave us with is Daniel 12 really important passage about resurrection. What does Daniel say? And in those days, many who sleep in the dust will awake, some to everlasting life, some to everlasting shame and contempt. This is a primary text that Pharisees would go to about resurrection.
S1: So if I'm over in Israel today and I bump into an Orthodox Jew as he's making his way to the Western Wall, perhaps what is going to be his answer if I ask him about resurrection? What is a typical response to their idea of resurrection?
S5: Resurrection is for the Jewish people. Resurrection is a promise for Jews.
S1: That's what they think.
S5: Yeah, some might apply it to the rest of humanity, but it's primarily a promise for Jews. And if Gentiles get it, they get it by way of kind of like a secondary blessing or stepchildren get blessings.
S1: All right, let's go to Jonah's question. He's studying Philippians, and he says, I started comparing versions of the Bible and noticed a problem, as he calls it in Philippians two six, the King James says, who, being in the form of God, were describing Jesus here, who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God. The ESV says, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped. And the CSB says, who existing in the form of God, did not consider equality with God as something to be used for his own advantage. All right, so what is it with the word robbery? Doesn't sound good. Doesn't seem good. Help us out here.
S5: Yeah, that's a great question. Paul here uses a really rare Greek idiom. It's found sometimes outside the New Testament, but this is the only time this idiom is used in the New Testament. I think the CSB is getting much closer to what's going on here. Here's the way I would paraphrase it something like this our Lord Jesus has always existed as equal with his Heavenly Father. Unlike selfish humans, he didn't decide, oh, this is a great place for me to exploit use for my own advantage. No. Rather than doing that, he gave up himself. What does Paul say in Philippians two? He took on the form of a servant, emptied himself by taking on service. So I think the CSB gets the idiom best here.
S1: This idea of of emptying himself is just such a, to me, a vast ocean of thought worth pondering and so instructive and such a high and holy model for us. I often go to Philippians two and I'm just sort of lost in it.
S5: Philippians two is one of the high points in terms of Christology and the Christological hymn. A lot of people call, a lot of scholars will call Philippians 2AA Christological hymn. I was primarily going to chapter two, verse six. Let me go back there just one more time. Please do. Um, even though he exists as God, he empties himself. Now, the question some people will ask is empty himself. Of what? That's not the question to ask. Okay. When he empties himself, he doesn't give up anything. The rest of verse six explains what emptying means. He emptied himself by taking on. In other words, he empties by adding. He. And he adds the form of a servant, whereas he is in this godly position of master and Lord. What he adds is service. So that. That is astounding, like totally shocked, shocking In response to the position that he has of power and authority and might.
S1: I think Philippians two is a really, really worthy chapter. Well, every book of the Bible is every chapter, but but worth memorizing some of those verses to hang on to them. Let nothing be done. I memorize it in the King James. Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than themselves. To me, that's the great argument, buster. You know. Right. Right away. So much there. Philippians chapter two. Well, we've run out of time. But the good news is, Lord willing, we'll be back next week with another conversation about, you guessed it, your Bible questions. So get yours to us, will you? In an email to the land and the book@moody.edu. The land and the book@moody.edu. One more segment to go on the broadcast. It's Charlie Dyer's devotional right here on the land and the book. Power. We're obsessed with it. Everybody is. Whether it's a government, whether it's a corporation or you and me, we like power. I remember when our kids were small, there was a TV program called Power Rangers. Okay, now I'm dating myself, but you get the idea. Welcome back to the land and the book from Moody Radio. I'm John Geiger, joined by our host, Charlie Dyer, who's devotional I understand has something to do with power. Charlie, is that true?
S2: It does. John. We're going to talk about the mighty power of God, but we're going to do it on a bus trip.
S1: All right. We'll look forward to that after we pause for this testimony from somebody who's also been to the Holy Land and wants to share this reflection with you and me.
S6: One of the ways I don't think I'll ever be the same after being on this trip with Charlie and John is when I preach, when I speak about the word, I will be able to make the connection now between the geography and the Word of God. One thing that just stands out to me is that such an unassuming, simple, out of the way place that God chose to send his Son, the Messiah, to share with the world salvation. And I guess when you see the land, you see that it's just so ordinary and even subordinary sometimes. So wherever Jesus comes in, it's not the geography, it's the person of Christ that makes a difference. So I think that's what's going to stick with me.
S1: All right, Charlie, looking forward to your devotional. Have at it.
S2: Well thanks, John. Yeah. This is week two of our three week drive down the Jordan Valley. And I hope you're enjoying the drive so far. You know, by bus, this trip takes two hours. But what an amazing transformation in that short period of time around the Sea of Galilee and just to the south. Last week we passed fields of vegetables and groves of fruit trees. But once we passed Beit She'an, last week's crossing point in the Jordan Valley, the farms have given way to fields of grass. Right now, those fields are golden brown, almost the color of straw. But in about two months the winter rains will begin and tender green blades of grass will push their way past that brown stubble. A few months later, flowers will appear, sprinkling the green carpet with swaths of color red, blue, yellow and white. We're now past the region of farmers and into the place of shepherds. We're almost halfway down the Jordan Valley, between the Sea of Galilee and the Dead Sea, and we're approaching the next crossing point on the Jordan River. Just ahead, on the other side of the river, you can see a break in the hills. That valley is the Jabbok River, which carves its way through the hills of Jordan on its way to the Jordan River. For thousands of years, the Jabbok River provided a convenient route for travelers. Now, after heading south from Damascus on the King's Highway, they could turn west along the Jabbok River into the Jordan. And then, just a few miles further south, the Jordan River could be forded. That crossing point was at a place called Adam. The minute we hear the word Adam, we think of the first man in the Bible. But this crossing point on the Jordan has nothing to do with that. Adam. The Adam here is a place, not a person. After crossing the Jordan at Adam, a traveler could head into the Promised Land through a natural valley that eventually wound its way up to the city of Shechem. Abraham almost certainly used this route on his journey into the land, because Shechem is the first city mentioned on his arrival. When Jacob returned to the land, he wrestled with God along the banks of the Jabbok River. He then crossed the Jordan and Genesis 33 says the first city where he camped was Shechem. Look at the road sign just in front of the bus. It shows that the road to our left, the one heading toward the Jordan River, leads to the Adam Bridge. Several bridges have existed here over the years, and the one here today is not in use. The original fording point and all those subsequent bridges were named after the town of Adam that was nearby. Now look to the right. Here's that valley I was talking about that leads up into the hill country of Israel. Drive up this valley. Take a left at the end, and you'll soon find yourself at the location of ancient Shechem. It's easy to miss, but we just drove over the footprints of Abraham and Jacob. As amazing as that thought might be, I actually want us to focus on another event from this area that demonstrates God's mighty power. And that event is found in Joshua three. Joshua three describes the children of Israel crossing the Jordan River. The Jordan River today doesn't look that spectacular. That's due in part to the dam controlling the release of water from the Sea of Galilee and in part to all the water being pumped from the Jordan for irrigation. But in the past, the Jordan River could swell from the winter rains until it became a torrent nearly a mile wide. God's miracle for the new generation entering the land mirrored the miracle he performed for the first generation that left Egypt. God provided a roadway through the impassable chaos of the sea. Each generation saw God's power displayed in pushing back the water to let them pass. But why focus on that event here? Didn't Israel cross the Jordan further south, down by Jericho? Well, they did indeed cross further south, but the very spot we just passed plays a role in that event. Joshua 316 describes that event this way. The waters which were flowing down from above stood and rose up in one heap a great distance away at Adam, the city that is beside Zaratan, and those which were flowing down toward the sea of the Arabah. The salt sea were completely cut off, so the people crossed opposite Jericho. The people crossed the Jordan River by Jericho, but God had the waters stop in place at Adam, which he says is a great distance away. So how far away is it? It's 16 miles away. I wonder what it would look like as Israel crossed the dry riverbed. The relative flatness of the Jordan Valley allowed them to look both upstream and downstream. And there, in the distance, 16 miles away, they could see a wall of water rising up. It was as if the invisible hand of God was holding back the water. Once the nation reached the other side, God withdrew his hand and the flood waters again came crashing down the river. If you've ever seen the video of flood waters sweeping down a previously dry riverbed during a flash flood, then you have some small image of what this amazing event might have been like. But before we continue our journey down the Jordan Valley. Pause and think about the incredible events that took place here near Adam. This is where Abraham took his first steps into the land promised to him by God. And this is where Jacob wrestled with God just before he returned to the land. He left the land as Jacob the heel grabber, Jacob the deceiver. But he crossed back into the land at Adam with a new name, Israel, the man who struggled with God, but who would not let go until God had blessed. Finally, Adam became the place where God demonstrated his power to the generation about to enter the land. This spot where the Jordan River could normally be crossed became temporarily inaccessible as God held back the waters to let his people walk through on dry ground further south. So what can we carry along with us as we drive past this second crossing point on the Jordan River? How about this? Adam is a reminder of all that God can do for those who follow him. It was the entry point to the land of promise for the patriarchs. And it was an object lesson to the children of Israel. Sometimes God leads us through the waters, as he did Abraham and Jacob, and other times God pushes back the water to lead us through on dry ground. But no matter what the individual circumstances might be, God still cares for and walks beside those who trust him.
S1: Boy, that's a word of encouragement, Charlie, and one maybe that struck you today. As you're listening to the land in the book. Good news. You can hear it all again if you visit our website at The Land and the book.org, the land and the book.org. Well, our website is the land and the book.org, where you can visit us to learn about past programs, today's program, future programs, and more. A link to books that Charlie and I have written and much more. The land and the book.org. Charlie. Our podcast is available as well, and some people are still not taking advantage. It's a big deal for lots of reasons. A couple of those reasons might be what?
S2: Well, being able to listen at any time. Being able to share it with someone else, a friend, a family member. It provides that portability, that it makes it so easy to use.
S1: And you'll find the podcast at our website, The Land and thebook.org. The land and thebook.org. Also, if you've got a question for Gerald Peterman, you can email that to us any old time. That email address to use is the land and the book@moody.edu, the land and the book@moody.edu. Want to say thanks to this station for providing air time for our broadcast? The land and. The book is produced by a team led by Dan Anderson. I'm John Gager for our host, Charlie Dyer. The land and the book is a production of Moody Radio, a Ministry of Moody Bible Institute.