S1: I'm crucified with Christ. Nevertheless I live yet not I, but Christ lives in me, and the life I now live in the flesh. I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I'm under love, not under law.
S2: You're listening to Treasure Truth with pastor and author James Ford, junior senior pastor of Christ Bible Church in Chicago. I'm Steve Harland. Glad that you've joined us. Pastor, that often takes me back several days ago where we talked about how Paul seemed to, you know, what's he trying to say here? Is he, you know, struggling to get a point across, and now he's saying, boy, if we truly know Christ, then he lives within us. But what difference does that make as it relates to us living under love versus the law?
S3: Uh, well, it's a different motivating factor. It's a different motivating force. Yeah, because if my wife demands that I do something. Oh, I'll do it. Yeah, right. My attitude won't be right. But no, if the truth be known, I've been married to her for 45 years. You know, I met her when she was eight. And the first day I met her, you know, I told her that I was going to marry her. She couldn't even spell the word. And, you know, and I was in seventh grade. She was in third. And I know what you're thinking out there in the audience. You robbed the cradle? Yes. But I kept what I stole. Amen. And so and so. Why do I do what I do for her? Because I'm motivated by love. Yeah. And she's motivated by love. And guess what? It's not difficult.
S2: Yeah.
S3: Right. When you have the right motivation, you.
S2: Want.
S3: To. I want to do it. As a matter of fact, there are four levels. Here they are. There's discipline, duty, delight and devotion in that order. discipline. You do what you do because you have to. Duty. You do what you do because you ought to. Delight you do what you do because you want to. But devotion, which is love. You do what you do because you love Jesus. You love your spouse, your children. I want to protect. I want to provide. I just love doing that. You see, because that's the proper and the highest motivation. Remember, we said it for God. So what? Love loved the world. I'm so glad for that. Agape unconditional love.
S2: Well, we began looking at Galatians chapter three last time and what it means to live consecrated to God's Word. And that's what we're going to continue to look at in today's broadcast. So I do hope you open your Bible and join us in Galatians three as we continue the message. Here is Pastor Ford.
S1: He says, for when we were.
S3: In the flesh, the motions of sin which were by the law did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death. You know what he's saying there. The law can't save you. Want to know why? It instigates you to sin. Okay, okay. I know I'm the only one. When I was a matriculating Moody Bible Institute, we used to go out witnessing. And so we had a little park that was right on. Um, I can't remember the name of the street. Uh, but it was, uh, LaSalle. And then as you go east, the next street, they got a little park there, and they went in and, uh, we went over and we were witnessing there were four of us and, uh, uh, we went in different directions to get different people. There weren't very many people there because you had to stand up because all the benches had been painted. And so as we were getting ready to go back, I said, man, did anybody do what I did? Look at that. All four of us had green paint on our fingers. The sign said, don't touch the paint. Why would you touch it?
S4: To see if it was still wet? That's it.
S3: I like what I like. What, uh, what's his name? Doctor Phil Williams. Here's what he says. He says the law is a great mirror, but a terrible washcloth. He said the law is the light that reveals how dirty the room is. Not the broom that sweeps it clean so that we understand that. Then we know that our Christianity is not based on obeying a set of rules and regulations. And how many churches are in bondage because they're given a set of rules and regulations. Don't do this and don't do that and don't do this. That's not what the gospel is all about. Remember, we already saw it. The law says, do this and live. And Grace says, what? Let's go and do this. And so he says, listen, you need to understand that and notice what he says that we are those it was added because of transgression. Uh, and, and that's why the law was given. Here's the second, here's the second one. Here's the second one. Uh, it not only exposes our sin, it exalts our promise. Verse 19 B and 20, it exalts our promise. So he's saying, when you look at what the law has done, the promise is superior to the law. So notice what he says. Let me read it. He says, till the seed. Who's that? Jesus. How do we know that? Because he just told us that earlier in the chapter. He said, verse 16, Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, and to seeds as of many, but as of one. And to thy seed, which is Christ. So he's telling us then, what was the job of the law? The law was a guide to direct us. What did the law do? Let me read some things. Don't try to take notes on this. Just let me read some things here. Here's here's here's what he wants us to understand. That the law then was given to us to show God had a standard we couldn't reach. Therefore, it demonstrated or showed to us the need for God's grace through the promise that he gave, which would be fulfilled in Jesus Christ. So the law then was designed to put on us guilt and shame. And to have an external witness that would would activate that internal witness that had been silenced because there was no sign that said how fast you could go. So if you go to Germany, they have they have the Autobahn. Now some of them have speed limits on. But but from what I understand, if the if the Google was right, there are about 18 of them that have no limit. Uh huh. Yeah. Because some of them go 120 miles an hour. So there's no sign. But all of a sudden now people start getting killed because if you're going 75 and I'm going 120, uh, you're like a wall. Yeah. And so people were being killed, so they start putting speed limits and they said, suggested speed limit 131km, which I believe is about 80 miles an hour, you see. Now, as long as there were no signs, were you wrong if you went 20? No, but but if you were going 120, you got you was kind of feeling like, you know, you're close to Jesus right now. You know, like, wow. But when they put up the sign now, now, you know you're a violator. Now you know you're a violator. So he says, then, that this law showed us that we needed grace and we were unworthy of it, that the law put on us guilt and shame. Why? Because there was no way we could live it to its fullest. And that's why I don't understand how law observers can think that they are able. Because, see, once you break one part of the law at any time, you've already broken the law. Where is the forgiveness? Where is the restoration from the law? The law says you should die. So the Israelites, they didn't even know it. They said in Deuteronomy, the blessing and the curse, if you do this, you know. And they said, we will do it. And then what happened? A couple of months later, they said they weren't going to do it. They said what they were going to do, what they ended up doing, doing it. Is there anybody here that said they wasn't going to do it and they did it? Amen.
S4: Amen.
S3: Thank God for grace. Because if it was law, we should be stoned. We should be killed. We should go to hell. But the law was just a guide to direct us because we're saying, wait, wait a minute, wait a minute. Oh, man, I thought that thought, you know, I did that deed. I've already broken it. So it's just taking us to Jesus because we couldn't handle it our selves. We can't pay our own debt. We need a savior. So the law shows us God's perfection. And it shows us our own inner perfection. Now, now, when you look at what he says and he says, then, uh, so it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator. But what do you what do you mean by that? he's saying, I want you to think about this. God appeared to Abraham personally, but the law was given through two mediators angels and Moses. What do you think he's trying to do? He is trying to get them to see that when God gave that promise, he did it face to face. That has more impact than something that has a mediator, and he's trying to get them to see. Listen, God did this thing. Personally, I believe he's going back to Genesis 15, but we're not going to argue about that. So what would the law do? Restrained us until the son came. Matthew 517 through 20. What did Jesus say? Matthew 517 through 20. Let me read that to you. Matthew 517 through 20. What did he say? Think not that I am I'm come to destroy the law or the prophets. I am not come to destroy it, but to fulfil it. For verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. So Jesus came to fulfill the law. Wherefore whosoever shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men to do so, he shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven. But whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom. For I say unto you, that except your righteousness exceed the righteousness of the scribes and the Pharisees, you shall no wise enter into the kingdom of heaven. So Jesus saying, look, we no longer have to keep the law. Why? He kept the law, and now we are in him. That's what he's going to talk about. In verse 27 he said, we've been baptized into Christ. That is the, the, the reason we have the baptizing work of the Holy Spirit, because the baptizing work of the Holy Spirit is the spiritual operation by which God allows us to share in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait. What do you mean? What happened to you spiritually when you became a believer that the Holy Spirit entered into your human spirit and you were born again, you were born again. You were regenerated. You were made alive again. Why? Ephesians two one through four. Dead in trespasses and sin, depraved in our morality, darkened in our minds in comprehension. And so he, he, he made us alive. And what was that process? He. He crucified the old man. And then he buried us spiritually and raised us in a newness of life in Jesus Christ, so over 3000 times in the New Testament of Christ in Christ, it speaks of the baptizing work of the Holy Spirit, that spiritual operation of the Spirit of God, whereby he takes us out of the old Adam, where there is death, and puts us in the new Adam, Jesus, where there is life now. Galatians chapter two, verse 20. Again remember it. Key verse to the whole book I am crucified with Christ. Nevertheless I live yet not I, but Christ lives in me, and the life I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I'm under love, not under law. And so that love is to be a catalyst. Now, like the officer was a catalyst for me obeying the sign. Jesus is our catalyst, our motivation, and our power for Living the way we ought to live. So now it's not based on a duty. It's based on devotion.
S2: Or it is so important for us to understand that difference, isn't it? You're listening to Treasure Truth with Pastor Ford. A message called live consecrated to God's Word. It's from Galatians chapter three. And if you're maybe listening and a question comes to mind, you want to get more about what Pastor Ford is talking about. You can always come to our website and ask your question. We just might answer that in a future broadcast. Come to treasure Truth Radio. Click on the contact link. You can also give us your feedback that way. Let us know where you listen, why you listen, and what difference it's making in your life. Again, come to treasure truth radio org and click on contact. Back to the message. Here's Pastor Ford.
S3: I might have told you this story. I'm gonna tell it again because it really illustrates what I'm talking about. A woman had been married to a man that most of you women would have killed. Black women wouldn't have put up with that. He'd tell her stuff like she's married to him for ten years. He say, when I come home, my food better be ready. My clothes better be washed. And you said already my clothes better be washed. My house better be clean. My kids better. You know you better. And so for ten years, she labored under that duty. When he died, she got married again. Ten year anniversary. She said. Wait a minute. I'm doing what I used to do. I'm cooking for him. Cleaning for him.
S4: What's the difference?
S3: Oh, that former husband demanded that I do it. It was a duty. This one just loves me. And I love to do things for him. That's it. The law says.
S5: You better do this. Don't you do this. You do this. Don't you do this. Us.
S3: And Jesus says, if you love me, keep my commandments. Come on. What would you rather live under? Love not law. So here's what he's saying now. Here's what. Here's what Paul was doing. He is teaching dispensational truth. What's he teaching? Dispensational truth. Now we won't be agreed about how many dispensations there are. Some teach two. Some teach three. Some teach four. Five. We teach seven because it's God's number for perfection. Uh, but what's he doing? He's showing that the law gave way to the dispensation of grace now. So, yeah. It's dis. Oh, let me just put it up. Dispensation. And so there are seven dispensations, and, uh, it'd be good if you, you, you know, you can even Google it. It'll come up on your phone. So let me get to the practical thing so I can say some time now. Here's what I want us to see. Here's what I want us to see. It's a little early. I didn't give you the other two points. Let me give you the other two points. And then, you know, you'll be able to look at it comprehensively. Verses 21 and 22. It says the law enhances the gospel. It enhances the gospel. How does it enhance the gospel? He's going to explain to us. The law was our school master 2325. It escorts us to Christ. So here it is. Number one, it exposes our sin. Verse 19 A it exalts our promise. Verse 19 B and 20 it enhances the gospel. Verses 21 and 22. It escorts us to Christ 23 through 25. So then, very practically, then what do I need to ask myself to try? It won't be 100%, but to try to determine, am I really living by grace or am I trying to live under the law? Here we are. Question number one is my motivation to glorify God? First Corinthians 1031. See the law. What's the catalyst for the law? Weeping mama, come here quick! Bring me your licking stick. So some of y'all ain't old enough to remember that. But anyway. So the law then was something that you did out of fear. But if your motivation is to glorify God, that's walking in.
S4: Faith.
S3: That's the antithesis of fear. Number two. Number two, will this behavior allow me to imitate Christ? Will this behavior or choice allow me to imitate Christ? First Corinthians 11 one On first John two six. Okay. Number three. Number three. Will my behavior be profitable for other Christians? First Corinthians 1023. Number four will this provide a credible gospel witness? Will this provide the choice to behavior? Whatever it is, provide a credible gospel witness? First Corinthians 1033. Colossians four five. Number five will this allow me to be a good example? Romans 1413. Will this allow me to be a good example? Romans 1413. 13. Will this allow me to be a good example? Romans 1413. Number six. Will it impede? Impede? Will it impede my spiritual growth? Hebrews 12 one. Will it impede my spiritual growth? Hebrews 12 one. Will this choice or action impede? Will it slow down or stop my spiritual growth? Number seven we got we have four more. Number seven will I be free from the very appearance of evil? First Thessalonians 522. Will I be free from the very appearance of evil? I want to comment so bad, but I just want to give em to you so I can save some time. Number eight will I be conformed to the world system? So will that choice, that action, that behavior, conform me to the world's system. Romans 12 two. Number nine will it enslave me? First Corinthians 612. Will it enslave me? Is it something that will bring me back to an addiction? Whether it's money, prestige, sex, booze, alcohol, drugs, whatever it is in the last one. Will it spiritually harm other believers? First Corinthians 813. Will it spiritually harm other believers? First Corinthians 813.
S2: I hope you got that. But if you ever miss one of the points that Pastor Ford is preaching on, maybe a sermon reference, or you just want to go back and listen to it again, You can always listen online by coming to our website. It's Treasure Truth radio.org. We've been listening to a message called Live Consecrated to God's Word. It's from Galatians chapter three. And if this program is making a difference in your life, we'd love to know about that. How Pastor Ford just unpacking God's Word is helping you grow in your walk with him. In fact, we recently heard from a listener in Chicago who writes, I'm blessed by your honest preaching of the word. Sometimes when I listen to some of the topics, it's very hard for me to do all of them. But I know that the grace of God is sufficient for me. Well, Julie, thanks for letting us know that you're out there, that you're listening, and that Pastor Ford's teaching is making a difference in your life. And maybe you've been listening for some time now, but you've never let us know that you're out there, that you're listening, and that you're benefiting from Pastor Ford's teaching of God's Word. We can always give us your feedback by coming to our website, Treasure Truth Radio, and clicking on the contact link. Maybe something Pastor Ford has said has helped you understand what it means to know Jesus better, or help you fix your marriage relationship, or even get your finances in order. You can share your story with us by coming to Treasure Truth radio.org and clicking on the contact link. Well, everything that we do here at Treasure Truth is made possible because of your generosity. Some of you may have given in the past and if that's the case, a huge thank you for doing so. But maybe you've never given a gift before. I want to encourage you to do so today. Come to our website, Treasure Truth Radio. Click on the donate button. You can give a one time gift or an ongoing monthly gift. Again, come to Treasure Truth Radio org and click on donate. Well, thanks for doing that and for listening today. Thanks also to our producer, Amy Rios for Pastor Ford, I'm Steve Hiller. Treasure truth is a production of Moody Radio, a ministry of Moody Bible Institute.